Sri Lanka - News and Discussion- Post PM appointment crisis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion- Post PM appointment crisis

Post by ramana »

Muslim Minority Affairs Ministers thinks

http://www.dailymirror.lk/top_story/Swo ... 155-166278
The caches of swords found from several mosques may have been used to clear shrubs surrounding those mosques, Muslim Religious Affairs Minister M. H. A. Haleem said.

Addressing a news briefing on Tuesday, he said it was reported that some mosques had swords hidden in them.

“We looked into it. Most of the mosques are surrounded by cemeteries with shrub jungles growing in them. They use various types of equipment to clear them and maybe they used these for that purpose,” he said when asked about swords which were found at mosques.

When asked whether the swords had been imported to cut grass, the Minister said, “No! Its not like that. Security forces are probing these incidents. We will let them arrive at a conclusion,”

He said he was not aware of the existence of the extremist Muslim religious group, National Thawheed Jamaath (NTJ) in the east and the mushrooming of the NTJ in Kandy in the last few years.

But he admitted that his Ministry has given permission to register 94 new mosques in the Kandy District alone since 2015.

Minister Haleem told the media that the comments made by SLFP General Secretary former minister Dayasiri Jayasekara at a news briefing on Monday to the effect that Muslim Religious Affairs Ministry had given permission to set up 50 NTJ centres in Kandy alone and another 400 islandwide after 2015 were untrue.

“The statement made by my friend Dayasiri Jayasekara is incorrect. I have not given permission to a single NTJ group to set up a centre in Kandy or any other part of the country. I know who gives this false information to him. Mr. Jayasekara should have checked on the authenticity of the information before speaking to the media on the matter,” he said. (Sandun A Jayasekera)
Maybe the grass is cut to feed the Pakistanis?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 311594.cms

mobs ransack mosques despite nationwide curfew at night and heavy numbers of police.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

are these mobs 'xian? ToI said the mobs had few Buddhist monks. I am wondering why say 'few'? Is it communal mob with aliens?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Singha wrote:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 311594.cms

mobs ransack mosques despite nationwide curfew at night and heavy numbers of police.
Okay, the Sinhalese finally showed some balls. For a while I thought those miscreants had it in them to massacre hindus onlee.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Easter bombs had explosives not used before by LTTE or military, source

http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167091
The explosives used by the suicide bombers for the Easter Sunday attacks had been improvised by the terrorists which neither the military nor the LTTE had used before, sources said.

They said that the explosives were believed to have been created with a combination of several chemicals.

It was also revealed that bombers had used bulb filament to detonate the bombs. It was hard to believe that bombers had used military grade explosives because investigators could not find such explosives from the back pack used by the bombers. Explosives, such as TNT or RDX, were not found from those explosives.

According to the source, the Islamic State (IS) had used such explosives in many parts of the world. The source said that a strong explosion could be achieved if right amount of various chemicals were combined.

The investigators suspect that such technique could have been obtained from an overseas country.

Following the Easter Sunday attacks on April 21, the police raided a house in Panadura suspected to have been used by the suicide bombers. The source said that there was evidence to believe that chemicals were mixed at the Panadura house to create explosives.

The police recovered three burned cans suspected to have been filled with chemicals from the house. They also recovered diagrams and several devises including incandescent bulbs and the house had been cleaned by the bombers to erase their traces.

The source said that they were able to recover a bulb filament from the body of one of the bombers of the Shangri-La hotel. The filament recovered from the suicide bomber’s body was similar to those bulbs found from the Panadura house.

The source said the devices and items recovered from the suicide attacks were handed over to a lab to determine the inclusive of the explosives
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167135
Arrested software engineer key in Easter attacks
The software engineer suspected by authorities of having provided technical and logistical support to the Easter Sunday suicide bombers was monitored by Indian intelligence agencies three years ago for links with Islamic State suspects, Reuters reported on Tuesday quoting investigators.

Four sources in Sri Lankan investigating agencies had said they believed 24-year-old Aadhil Ameez was the link between two groups that carried out the attacks on churches and hotels.

Aadhil has been arrested and is in police custody, the sources said. His arrest has not been made public, but when asked by Reuters, Police Spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera had confirmed that Aadhil was taken into custody on April 25, four days after the attacks.

The spokesman had declined to give more details.

A police official at India’s National Investigation Agency (NIA) and another police official in the western state of Gujarat said they were providing assistance to Sri Lankan authorities.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167119
Dehiwela suicide bomber radicalised by hate preacher in UK
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.colombotelegraph.com/index. ... s-at-risk/
Fake News From Cardinal’s Top Aide Puts Thousands At Risk
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news-features ... 131-166701

Refugees become refugees again in Sri Lanka
Raja Kamran - Kashmir
As a Kashmiri, who did much volunteer work for his community as a youth political activist, Raja was forced to flee his homeland Azad Kashmir on 22nd of January 2018 because of death threats. He along with his wife entered Sri Lanka using the visa-on-arrival facility, which allows a 30-day stay with the possibility of extension, which was designed to promote tourism. Then, they were still seeking asylum.

“I have been arrested by the Pakistani Army over false charges. I have even been threatened by Muslim fundamentalist groups in Pakistan as I am against Jihads. The last three years of my life were very difficult because I have been tortured by authorities several times. As a prominent Kashmiri political activist, it was unthinkable for me to relocate without getting the attention of extremist Muslims. My wife begged me to leave as several Kashmiri activists who were against Pakistan Army and pro-jihad elemants in Kashmir had already faced brutal beatings and were even murdered. To save my family from persecution and my own life, we sought refugee status in Sri Lanka. I have been living in a rented house in Negombo with my wife and our three year old son was enjoying peace of mind until April 21, 2019. We were attacked with stones by angry mobs who gave us twenty minutes to leave our houses. Just because ISIS claimed the responsibility for the bombings in Sri Lanka, why do all Muslims have to suffer?”asked Raja.
hmmm
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

chola wrote:
Singha wrote:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 311594.cms

Okay, the Sinhalese finally showed some balls. For a while I thought those miscreants had it in them to massacre hindus onlee.
Mob courage is hardly balls of any kind, though I suppose there are gradations of mob courage.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A_Gupta wrote:http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167119
Dehiwela suicide bomber radicalised by hate preacher in UK

The preacher is the well known Anjem Choudhary in UK.
And one Twitter poster forwarded the tweets of this person on 17 Feb to Sri Lanka govt.
So its clear they had the information but no one was watching the feeds coming through
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So to make those home made bombs work so well they must have tested them many times. We know the UK bakpakis in 2007 London bombings made volatile stuff.

Need to find out which country provided the know how.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

ramana, the success of the operation the very first time and on this scale was not a fluke. Either some of the IS recruits from Sri Lanka had learnt the bomb-making process while they were in the Levant and had helped the NTJ or they received help from Af-Pak. I rule out the former because the IS used recruits from SL and others as mere cannon-fodders. Second, from where were the bomb-making material sourced? Af-Pak finger should emerge soon. Indian investigators should be careful here as SL, under Chinese instructions, may try to hush-up matters that implicate Pakistani connections, especially with FATF plenary in June.
tandav
BRFite

Post by tandav »

SSridhar wrote:ramana, the success of the operation the very first time and on this scale was not a fluke. Either some of the IS recruits from Sri Lanka had learnt the bomb-making process while they were in the Levant and had helped the NTJ or they received help from Af-Pak. I rule out the former because the IS used recruits from SL and others as mere cannon-fodders. Second, from where were the bomb-making material sourced? Af-Pak finger should emerge soon. Indian investigators should be careful here as SL, under Chinese instructions, may try to hush-up matters that implicate Pakistani connections, especially with FATF plenary in June.
With the destruction of the tourist economy in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks. SriLanka has fallen deeper into Chinese debt trap. Currently it is in no position to pay back any Chinese loans... this will make it more amenable to Chinese pressure on militarizing Hambantota ports and other Chinese funded infrastructure. With this master stroke China is in Pole position to execute its string of pearls. I think Pres Sirisena did not act on warnings given by India since he is a Chinese Manchurian candidate and it was his job to ensure that the terror attack went through unimpeded to benefit China.

https://www.timesnownews.com/internatio ... und/264811

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/190512/news/p ... 49014.html
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Aditya_V wrote:http://www.dailymirror.lk/news-features ... 131-166701

Refugees become refugees again in Sri Lanka
. . . . I have been arrested by the Pakistani Army over false charges. I have even been threatened by Muslim fundamentalist groups in Pakistan as I am against Jihads. The last three years of my life were very difficult because I have been tortured by authorities several times. As a prominent Kashmiri political activist, it was unthinkable for me to relocate without getting the attention of extremist Muslims. My wife begged me to leave as several Kashmiri activists who were against Pakistan Army and pro-jihad elemants in Kashmir had already faced brutal beatings and were even murdered. To save my family from persecution and my own life, we sought refugee status in Sri Lanka. . .
Revealing, at least to me.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

A_Gupta wrote:
chola wrote:
Mob courage is hardly balls of any kind, though I suppose there are gradations of mob courage.
Any sort of retaliation takes courage when done against a religion with a taste for suicide bombings, beheadings and a penchant for killing "soft targets."

The lack of balls in Yurop is a prime example, mass rapes (in Sweden, UK) and mass killings (in Paris, Madrid, London) resulted in no action by the local populace scared stiff. If Hindus had done such things, goras would have lynched the majority of us. With muzzies? The fear created by the "religion of peace" meant no retaliation in the streets.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SS, THanks for the insight.
from the news coming from SL, they are very serious to get to bottom of the issue
Looks like improvised explosive mfg is now a cottage industry with small batch production control.

The use of bulb filament shows they are being used with as heat source or a capacitor discharge to act like exploding filament.
My suspicion is the latter.
So they take a tube-light starter set off the filament.

So look for information of tube lights seized etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks I would expect a series of news articles on the aftermath of Easter Sunday attack but get bokwas speculation.

chola stop giving pet theories.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.colombotelegraph.com/index. ... f-dissent/
Sabina (not her real name), a Muslim who worked tirelessly for Tamil victims of our long drawn conflict, told me of their apprehension of imminent havoc: “We saw the monster growing before our eyes. Many moderate Muslims complained to the authorities, as several leaders in Kattankudy did last August and again in February. We shared on February 10th a video clip of Zahran, in which he called for the killing of oppressors of Muslims, through Whatsapp with several individuals linked to the government and the opposition. Nothing happened. We learnt that when a person at the Prime Minister’s office apprised a trusted moderate Muslim leader of this video, the latter dismissed it as nothing very serious. That was the end of it. She also said that she sent this video to Facebook and she understood that the FB in turn has informed the Sri Lankan authorities.

On the proliferation of hate through narrow religion, Sabina said that in January 2018 in the run up to the 2018 local council elections, Moulavi Siddeq Niyas from the Sri Lanka Thawheed Jamath (SLTJ) originally from Oddamavadi, taking issue with women contestants with uncovered faces on posters (Hoole), gave the names of several Muslim women who demonstrated before Parliament for reform in September 2017, including hers, and said that they should be killed in order that Islam could progress. The Elections Commission could have called for his arrest under election laws, but failed to do so. Zahran who split from the SLTJ to form the All Ceylon Thowheed Jamath in 2014, again split to form the National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ).

Sabina explained, “In the development of an oppressive ideology, their first target is the control of women and forcing on them dress and behaviour forms that make them strangers to the people they long lived among. In turn their children are brainwashed into xenophobia by the same moulavis.

“You saw what the LTTE did among Tamils through ideological control. When it suited them they used women as suicide bombers. At other times they merely wanted them to be instrumental bearers of fighters.”
Sri Lanka’s non-secular state, obliged since the 1972 Constitution to protect and foster Buddhism, has encouraged other major religious establishments to demand and successfully carve out their small kingdoms, to include even nominally secular universities. This milieu has been the basis for the ACJU’s tyranny over groups of increasingly educated and articulate Muslim women who have for thirty years agitated for the reform of the Muslim Marriage and Divorce Act (MMDA) that would bring the rights of Muslim women in line with those of women of other communities.

These women point out that reform is necessary not just for the Muslim community, but for peace in the country. The cracks and the bereavements of Easter will be papered over, the leaders of civil society and the muftis will shake hands amidst smiles and go away. But the real problem, which is Wahabi ascendancy and xenophobia, will remain hidden. The alienation and isolation of the Muslim community, which was at the root of the Easter tragedy, will continue.

The reforms demanded are very basic and include a bar on child marriage, mandatory registration of Muslim marriages and to raise the age of marriage for Muslim women from 12 to near 18. Spearheading the resistance to reform is the ACJU, and this has become the ground for extremist abuse of women demanding reform. These women point out that the effect of the Easter carnage, by temporarily at least incapacitating the terrorist extreme, has entrenched the power of the ACJU over Muslims despite some embarrassment. They point out that its head, Rizwi Mufti, who earlier called women who did not wear the veil prostitutes, has now asked them to remove the veil.
The Indian experience is that having a secular Constitution does not deter Islamic groups from trying to prevent women from getting equal rights.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

A_Gupta wrote:http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167135
Arrested software engineer key in Easter attacks
The software engineer suspected by authorities of having provided technical and logistical support to the Easter Sunday suicide bombers was monitored by Indian intelligence agencies three years ago for links with Islamic State suspects, Reuters reported on Tuesday quoting investigators.

Four sources in Sri Lankan investigating agencies had said they believed 24-year-old Aadhil Ameez was the link between two groups that carried out the attacks on churches and hotels.

Aadhil has been arrested and is in police custody, the sources said. His arrest has not been made public, but when asked by Reuters, Police Spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera had confirmed that Aadhil was taken into custody on April 25, four days after the attacks.

The spokesman had declined to give more details.

A police official at India’s National Investigation Agency (NIA) and another police official in the western state of Gujarat said they were providing assistance to Sri Lankan authorities.
Exclusive: Sri Lankan software engineer, under Indian surveillance, key in Easter attack - Reuters
COLOMBO/AHMEDABAD, India (Reuters) - A Sri Lankan software engineer suspected by authorities in Sri Lanka of having provided technical and logistical support to the Easter Sunday suicide bombers was monitored by Indian intelligence agencies three years ago for links with Islamic State suspects, investigators said.

Four sources in Sri Lankan investigating agencies said they believed Aadhil Ameez, a 24-year-old, was the link between two groups that carried out the attacks on churches and hotels that killed more than 250 people and wounded hundreds more.

Aadhil has been arrested and is in police custody, the sources said. His arrest has not been made public, but when asked by Reuters, Ruwan Gunasekera, the main spokesman for the Sri Lankan police, confirmed Aadhil was taken into custody on April 25, four days after the attacks.

The spokesman declined to give more details.

Aadhil, who describes himself on his LinkedIn profile as a senior engineer/programmer/web designer with a masters degree in computer science and a bachelors in political science from U.K. universities, could not be reached for comment.

He does not yet have a lawyer and under Sri Lanka’s tough new emergency laws imposed after the attacks, he can be held indefinitely.

His father, M. Ameez, who lives in Aluthgama, a town south of Colombo, denied that Aadhil was involved with the plotters and said such “allegations are lies”.
If this guy was under surveillance for more than three years by NIA (as it is claimed) why was he not arrested then?
The Indian investigators said they had been monitoring Aadhil since 2016 and named him in two chargesheets filed in Indian courts against suspected Islamic State operatives as being one of their contacts.

According to one of the chargesheets, reviewed by Reuters, he showed up in Facebook, WhatsApp and Telegram chats with two of the suspects who are on trial for plotting an attack on a synagogue in the western city of Ahmedabad.

The two suspects Ubed Ahmad Mirza, a lawyer, and Stimberwala Mohamed Kasim, a hospital technician, were accused of planning “lone-wolf” attacks, according to the chargesheet.

Lawyers for both men rejected the allegations and said they were innocent. Both lawyers declined to comment on the possible role of Aadhil.

Aadhil has also been named in another chargesheet filed in court by the NIA for providing propaganda and online material to three Indians arrested in early 2016 for promoting Islamic State.

The three men, Sheikh Azhar ul-Islam, Adnan Hassan and Mohammed Rafiq Sadique Shaikh are on trial in a special Delhi court facing charges of criminal conspiracy to propagate the ideology of Islamic State, recruit, raise funds and facilitate the travel of people to Syria, according to the chargesheet.

Sheikh Mohammad Munawar, a cousin of ul-Islam, said the charges were fabricated and that he had no criminal record ever.

Families of the other two accused could not be reached. Their lawyers were not immediately available for comment.
And if he has still managed to successfully facilitate the attack with an online presence, what was the Indian SIGINT doing all this time? What happened to the Five Eyes who are supposed to be monitoring around the clock online activities of the red-flagged personnel?
Reuters was unable to determine when the Indians informed Sri Lankan authorities of the surveillance. The two officials declined to say whether they continued to keep Aadhil under surveillance after they completed investigation of the cases in India.
Wishy-washy statements for sure!
Indian intelligence services warned Sri Lankan authorities of a possible attack at least three times in April alone, officials have said.
Three different warnings of the possible attack were neglected. What does that tell us about counterterrorism intelligence sharing between the two countries?
Two sources in Sri Lanka’s police Criminal Investigation Department and two military officials said Aadhil was the link between the two groups.

The groups used the dark web and WhatsApp to communicate, they said.

However, investigators don’t know yet whether Aadhil was simply a facilitator for the bombers, or if he was also one of the ring leaders involved in planning and executing the attacks.

Last week, police raided IT firm Virtusa, where Aadhil had interned in 2013, according to his profile. One current employee has been detained for questioning in connection with the attacks, police say, but no other details have been provided.
Again, if it is true, it makes utter nonsense that the whole global SIGINT community could not dismantle a so-called software engineer's "dark web" who operates single-handedly.
India, with one of the world’s largest populations of Muslims, has claimed success in foiling several Islamic State cells, mostly in southern and western India.

Court documents reviewed by Reuters show that the online conversations between the Sri Lankan and the two Indians in western India, began in the summer of 2016 and lasted until the arrest of the two Indians in late 2017. The documents describe how Aadhil Ax, as he called himself online, asked the Indians if they had heard about the atrocities being committed against Muslims in Sri Lanka by the majority Buddhist community.

He talked about his own experiences: that he had been in jail, that his house had been torched and that he limped because of beatings, the documents seen by Reuters show. Investigators and neighbors in Sri Lanka say none of these were true.

The Sri Lankan investigators interviewed by Reuters say Aadhil made claims he was a journalist and a PhD candidate in some of his online postings, which also were false.

They said they believed Aadhil, operating largely from his home, was a key part of the Easter bombings plot and helped in communications and training.

“He was the main technology person for them,” said one of the CID sources involved in the investigation. The source said Aadhil was helped in this by Abdul Latheef Mohamed Jameel, one of the eight suicide bombers who detonated his explosives at a guesthouse after failing to do so at Colombo’s luxury Taj Samudra hotel.

About a week before the bombings, Aadhil met Jameel, Zahran the extremist preacher, and Inshaf Ibrahim and Ilham Ibrahim, the two brothers from a family engaged in the spice trade in Colombo, the other sources said. The latter three men blew themselves up in five-star Colombo hotels.

The CID source said that Aadhil, Zahran and the Ibrahim brothers had leased land in Wanathawilluwa town in the north and set up a training camp. Police raided the place in January this year and discovered a large amount of explosives, but did not know at the time who had leased it.

When police raided Aadhil’s home four days after the bombings, all his computer files were found to have been deleted.

“He seems to have played an important role in setting up communications for the attackers, helping organize meetings and training camps,” said one of the military sources.
Now, how do we know all this is not disinformation or media framing/fabrication?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tuan wrote:If this guy was under surveillance for more than three years by NIA (as it is claimed) why was he not arrested then?
Are you blaming the NIA or SL agencies?
And if he has still managed to successfully facilitate the attack with an online presence, what was the Indian SIGINT doing all this time? What happened to the Five Eyes who are supposed to be monitoring around the clock online activities of the red-flagged personnel?
What has it got to do with Indian Sigint? The NIA acted in Indian interests and prevented incidents within India as the chargesheets show. One can be pretty sure that appropriate information was passed on to SL.
Wishy-washy statements for sure!
What is wishy-washy about the statement?
Three different warnings of the possible attack were neglected. What does that tell us about counterterrorism intelligence sharing between the two countries?
It does, of course, tell of excellent and precise counter-terrorism intel sharing from India.
Again, if it is true, it makes utter nonsense that the whole global SIGINT community could not dismantle a so-called software engineer's "dark web" who operates single-handedly.
It tells me only one thing. The utter failure of SL to stop terror even when detailed, multiple and precise warnings were available. Don't shift the blame on others.
Now, how do we know all this is not disinformation or media framing/fabrication?
That question of yours is in fact a classic first step in disinformation. Let SL come out with its own facts and refute. As simple as that.

Tuan, what are you trying to say? If you have a theory, spell it out clearly here.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

China to assist Sri Lanka in its anti-terror efforts - Meera Srinivasan, The Hindu
Chinese President Xi Jinping has promised “all possible assistance” to Sri Lanka — from defence cooperation to intelligence sharing — for the island’s efforts to “strengthen national security by wiping out terrorism”, according to sources here [Colombo].

President Maithripala Sirisena, currently in Beijing for an international conference, met Mr. Xi on Tuesday. “He [Mr. Xi] said that China is always ready to go hand in hand with Sri Lanka, which is recovering after effectively facing the challenge of terrorism, adding that the Chinese government will provide any assistance to Sri Lanka at any time,” the Presidential Media Division said.

As requested by Mr. Sirisena, China will provide a grant of LKR 2,600 million towards strengthening Sri Lankan Security Forces, besides providing 100 jeeps and other equipment costing LKR 1,500 million to Sri Lanka Police. The discussion also focussed on “strengthening cooperation in the defence sector and sharing intelligence between the two countries,” the statement from Mr. Sirisena’s office said.

Further, responding to Mr. Sirisena’s concern over Sri Lanka “lacking technological expertise and equipment to trace the individuals who fan the flames of terrorism”, Mr. Xi has offered to send a Chinese technical team to Sri Lanka soon to assist authorities.

Speaking at a conference in Beijing on Wednesday, titled ‘Dialogue of Asian Civilisations’ Mr. Sirisena emphasised the need for countries to work together to combat terrorism {Tell that to China which protected Masood Azhar for eleven long years and relented only when its game was up} . “I see the imperative need to defeat the terrorist groups and religion extremism and all the nations live in friendship and peace,” he said.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Sri Lanka should next invite Hezbollah to offer their expertise and assistance on dealing with IS.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Circumstantial evidence links Sri Lanka jihadi Aadhil Ameez, involved in Easter Sunday bombings, to ISI-directed Kashmir terrorism (specifically Pulwama).

Was he merely expressing sympathy for JeM or is there more of a connection?

See tweet
https://twitter.com/TheAngryLord/status ... 62784?s=19
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

RD, this is the first step. But, more will emerge. Slowly, slowly catch 'ee Paki Monkey.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The warning signs were there three years ago.
https://www.colombotelegraph.com/index. ... l-schools/
Feb 12, 2016
Fundamentalism Creeps Into Muslim International Schools

Excerpt follows, but read the whole thing.
Earlier last year a Muslim poet and activist Sharmila Seyyid was forced to flee the country after being ” hounded by Mullahs”. The poet who is a mother of one and wrote her poetry in Tamil had been threatned repeteatedly by fundamentalist elements in her hometown in Batticaloa.

” This has never been the case and its alarming that the authorities didnt even pay due regard to this. Muslims of Sri Lanka have been a very vibrant part of the Lankan literature and culture. Never were their people imposing their beliefs systems on other Muslims. Those days a mosque festival used to be where the Sinhalese Tamil and Muslim children came to play and enjoy while the elders were reciting in the mosque. It was actually a feast with lights and decorations but today how many do we see?’ MAM Ismail a resident of Kandy told the Colombo Telegraph.

The city of Kattankudy, a city in the East of Sri Lanka is seen also as a symbol of a complete fundamentalist turn. Columnist Izeth Hussain writing to the Colombo Telegraph last year provided in detail accounts of date trees being planted in the area and the extent of the fundamentalism.

Many other ” Muslim” schools which come under the supervision of the education ministry are also propagating fundamentalist and segregationist ideals according sources.

” The school uniform of a Muslim girl was always a shawl around the bosom and long trousers. How many Muslims do you see dressed like that now?. How many Muslim students do you dressed in fully white face veils? This is not fear mongering but its the truth. Muslim leaders have kept their mouths shut about this because they fear backlash or they don’t want to ruffle any feathers given the nonsense that racist groups like the Bodu Bala Sena and others are promoting” a parent told Colombo Telegraph on the condition of anonymity.

According to many, Muslim students either wear the black face veil or the white face veil depending on the criteria set by the school, completely in ignorance of the segregation it causes.

Researches believe that moderate Muslims fear to take any stand against the rise in fundamentalism which draws parallels with fascist ideologies.

” These people are violent and they will quote the Quran as and when they could. Traditional peace loving Muslims are in fear to take this on because the backlash can be crazy. They just dont want to argue on the Quran, but the fact is that even the ISIS quotes the Quran. So who is to justify any nonsense that they do by quoting the Quran or the Bible or any other text? how can you.” Ameer asked.

The Colombo Telegraph learns that despite attention being drawn to these reports, Muslim ministers have shied away from addressing due to fear of backlash.

The rise in Sinhala racism also has led to Muslim leaders shying away from addressing the issue due to fear of “giving in”.

” The fact is there is a problem. This problem must be addressed. The Bodu Bala Sena should not be the reason it must be addressed but for the longevity and freedom of all Muslims. Because if it is not addressed, Sinhala racism against Muslims is only going to rise”, Ameer said.
Last edited by ramana on 16 May 2019 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited. Added highlights. ramana
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

the affiliations of these 100 guys must be made known and their madrasas isolated

Lanka deports 600 clerics, including 100 Indians

Lanka deports 600 clerics, including 100 Indians

Monday, 13 May 2019

Out of the 600 foreigners including 200 hardcore maulvis (Muslim religious preachers) deported by Colombo over the last week after the suicide bombings there, over a 100 were Indians. They, along with those from Pakistan and Maldives, were suspected to be engaged in radicalisation in the Sri Lankan mosques.

Besides the Indians, clerics from Pakistan and Maldives have also been deported in large numbers owing to their terror links that emerged after serial suicide bombings in Colombo on Sunday Easter last month that took a toll of over 250 persons including 11 Indians. Besides the 200 maulvis, the 400 other individuals are also suspected to have travelled on tourist visas but have been essentially been engaged in radical preachings, sources said.

Sri Lankan authorities have identified about 1,200 such individuals who are being screened for terror links and depending upon antecedent verification more such clerics are likely to be deported to the respective countries.

The revelation of the Indian maulvis in radicalisation activities in the island nation has set alarm bells ringing in the security establishment here as they apprehend the international terror groups might have developed a hub of such transnational radical preachers in the country.

The deportations began on Tuesday after the Sri Lankan authorities informed the respective foreign missions on the issue. By Thursday, the 600 such radicals were deported to the respective countries.

Pakistani clerics have infiltrated the mosques in the region including in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Maldives and even in some of the ASEAN countries. These clerics are being exploited by the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence for the larger design of implementing state agenda of sponsoring terror in the neighbourhood, sources said.

The sources said such radical clerics are also part of the transnational radicalization networks of the international terror groups like the Al Qaeda and ISIS who have a long term agenda of radicalisation and subsequently recruit them into their fold for their terror designs, including logistics management chain and funding through illegal narcotics supply chain.

During the last over two years, Indian clerics in large number, as revealed by the Sri Lankan deportation, are also taking up jobs of Islamic preaching in foreign shores.

In the wake of the development, the challenge for the security agencies is two-fold: first, to keep tabs on their activities after their deportation, and secondly to establish their role and extent of involvement in radicalization during their stay in Sri Lanka, insiders said.

Officials also said the Indian security agencies will have an onerous task ahead to contain the impact of the deported radical clerics.

They said counter-terrorism and security-related issues come under the domain of the security agencies in so far as Sri Lanka is concerned as any adverse activity there has a direct bearing on the security calculus in South India, especially Tamil Nadu.

Ahead of carrying out the suicide bombing in Colombo, chief National Thowheed Jamat Zaharan Hashim had stayed in South India for three months but remained undetected by the Intelligence Bureau.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

SSridhar wrote: Tuan, what are you trying to say? If you have a theory, spell it out clearly here.
Sridhar, I do not have any reason to blame India, a country that is trying to sustain itself from Islamic terrorism in the subcontinent.

Rather, what I am interested in is that who are attempting to destabilize this region?

Among the stakeholders, who will benefit from attacking the Christian minority in a mainly Buddhist country?

Does ISIS have such a reach in Sri Lanka? If so, why they chose Sri Lanka?

My last question is, why the Sri Lankan security establishment and intelligence community neglected the precise intelligence from India?

We have to find answers to these questions first so that one can come up with a theory.
Last edited by Tuan on 16 May 2019 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Further, responding to Mr. Sirisena’s concern over Sri Lanka “lacking technological expertise and equipment to trace the individuals who fan the flames of terrorism”, Mr. Xi has offered to send a Chinese technical team to Sri Lanka soon to assist authorities.

Speaking at a conference in Beijing on Wednesday, titled ‘Dialogue of Asian Civilisations’ Mr. Sirisena emphasised the need for countries to work together to combat terrorism {Tell that to China which protected Masood Azhar for eleven long years and relented only when its game was up} . “I see the imperative need to defeat the terrorist groups and religion extremism and all the nations live in friendship and peace,” he said

I wonder why Sirisena didn't seek such help from India, who tipped them off about the attack in the first place? Or, did he already?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sirisena did not seek help from India as he already is getting the help.
He is seeking help from China for 1) he knows they are the backs of the Pakistan which is coordinating this rise in Islamist terror in Sri Lanka.
2)China also supports his opponent Rajapakse.

Tuan I don't see you as being helpful in this thread despite your stated background.
All your questions seem to cast aspersions on India.
The fact SS had to ask you to spell out shows either you are not communicating clearly or its clouded communications due to something else.
So either you start putting your ideas or stop posting.
Thanks, ramana
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Sir,

I don't think anyone is casting aspersions on India.

You wanted me to spell it out risking myself not being step into Sri Lanka again, fine.

Here is what I believe: it is the Sri Lankan and Pakistani military intelligence together orchestrated this with the Chinese back up and advise to bring back Gotabhaya Rajapakse, a Chinese proxy into power.

I also think that this kind of orchestration is under way in other small states as part of the Chinese grand stretegy, BRI, to deter whoever interfere into this.

As you will notice, there is a shift in Chinese ancient strategy that the supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tuan wrote:

Speaking at a conference in Beijing on Wednesday, titled ‘Dialogue of Asian Civilisations’ Mr. Sirisena emphasised the need for countries to work together to combat terrorism {Tell that to China which protected Masood Azhar for eleven long years and relented only when its game was up} . “I see the imperative need to defeat the terrorist groups and religion extremism and all the nations live in friendship and peace,” he said

I wonder why Sirisena didn't seek such help from India, who tipped them off about the attack in the first place? Or, did he already?

Tuan ji,

the entire operational action on the timely intelligence inputs given by India lies squarely and completely and exclusively in the sovereign domain of the srilankan govt.

It is entirely their internal matter how they handle it.

India does not have any physical role to play in the enforcement of internal law and order in SL.

what do you imagine would have been the nature of "Sirisena didn't seek such help from India", would you care to specify what you mean exactly by "help from India"

what more would he have wanted from India, some cigarettes for his troops, perhaps.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

It will be a stretegic blunder on India's part being a passive actor in SL politics, while letting China to actively interfere into that country.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

chetak wrote:what do you imagine would have been the nature of "Sirisena didn't seek such help from India", would you care to specify what you mean exactly by "help from India".
What I was trying to say is that Sirisena will not invite an Indian team to help them with their investigation, because if he does, the entire game they play will be revealed to the world. Most importantly, he will be in trouble with the SL military.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Tuan what you posted ins not any earth shattering.
Sinhala nationalism is a like in Pakistan a "not-India" nationalism since the decline of Buddhism in South India with rise of Pallavas.

And they become willing stooges of outside powers like the Europeans and now the Chinese.

To add to you my take is Chi-Pak gave the go order to the NTJ to carry out the attacks as the dregs were getting too antsy after Balakot.
It was an use it or lose it proposition. They would have been found out.
We can see that by the number of intel reports sent to SL.
And US knew it hence their envoy's head shake towards India.
So turning blind eye lead to SL poking themselves.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

MAD could have done a pre-emptive surgical strike on these dregs.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Tuan wrote:Sir,

You wanted me to spell it out risking myself not being step into Sri Lanka again, fine.

Here is what I believe: it is the Sri Lankan and Pakistani military intelligence together orchestrated this with the Chinese back up and advise to bring back Gotabhaya Rajapakse, a Chinese proxy into power.

I also think that this kind of orchestration is under way in other small states as part of the Chinese grand stretegy, BRI, to deter whoever interfere into this.

As you will notice, there is a shift in Chinese ancient strategy that the supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
Would not such a conspiracy work better if the attack was on the Sinhala Buddhist majority rather than on the Christian minority?
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

A_Gupta wrote:
Tuan wrote:Sir,

Would not such a conspiracy work better if the attack was on the Sinhala Buddhist majority rather than on the Christian minority?
1. Why would a Buddhist military stage an attack on its own people?

2. The whole point is to make it look like the narrative of jihad vs. crusade, isn't it?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Tuan wrote:
A_Gupta wrote:
1. Why would a Buddhist military stage an attack on its own people?

2. The whole point is to make it look like the narrative of jihad vs. crusade, isn't it?
1. Why not? If the military wants to install a Chinese proxy instead of a "Sri Lanka First" politician, they're already traitorous, and why would they not do whatever is most effective to get their Chinese proxy into power.

2. Why would "jihad versus crusade" energize Buddhists?
it is the Sri Lankan and Pakistani military intelligence together orchestrated this with the Chinese back up and advise to bring back Gotabhaya Rajapakse, a Chinese proxy into power.
One could also say -- if the Sri Lankan intelligence was in charge of the Easter bombing, it would know that they would look bad if they ignored the intelligence provided by India. They could simply get their minions to postpone the bombings, and thus discredit Indian intelligence which would better achieve their ends - which, per you, is to strengthen China's hand in Sri Lanka.

Also, again, if the Sri Lankan intelligence wants to get a particular politician into power on the basis that "he alone can protect the country" it works better if the Buddhist majority is attacked. Presumably some part of the Buddhist electorate is against this politician, otherwise he'd already be in power; so why not "sacrifice" some of these?

More realistically, it is one thing to actively coordinate with Pakistani intelligence in order to strengthen a particular politician; and a different thing to avoid taking action to avert a independently planned attack because the attack, if carried out, would strengthen a particular politician. But it is quite a risky thing to avoid taking action if the warnings have come three times and god knows whom all know about the warnings.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Sir,

The rationale behind the Sri Lankan military to stage such an attack is not just to collaborate with the Pakistani military but it has its own motives as well. That is, the high ranking SL army officials, the former President of SL and the defense secretary himself don't want to face a war crimes investigation that is initiated by the western world and by some extent by India too. I say India too because the Tamil diaspora believes that there will be a permanent solution to their problem only emerge when there is a leader like - actor turned politician - former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.G. Ramachandran in power, who lobbied Prime Minister Indra Gandhi towards SL Tamil cause.

Please note that the only allies the SL military have are China and Pakistan. Like the Chinese protected Masood Azhar for eleven years, they also many times vetoed an international inquiry against SL at UNHRC. On the other hand, India under PM Manmohan Singh voted favorably once and had abstained on the resolution that called for an international probe into human rights violations that occurred in the last stages of the civil war. In 2013 and 2012, the UPA government – under coalition pressure – had voted in favor of US-sponsored resolutions that criticized the Mahinda Rajapaksa government for not taking enough steps to ensure accountability.

UNHRC Resolution, Guided by India, to Give Breather to Sri Lankan Government
https://thewire.in/south-asia/unhrc-sri ... remesinghe

It is in this hope that some of the most successful SL Tamil diaspora groups, entrepreneurs and LTTE cover, sympathetic and front organizations are working behind the doors towards this goal. For instance, a SL Tamil diaspora owned company Lyca Mobile and Lyca Productions led by its chairman Allirajah Subaskaran recently funded a multi-million dollar project in South India - the most expensive Indian film to date - starring actor turned politician, non-other than pro-BJP Rajinikanth's movie "Enthiran 2.0". The same company is currently negotiating another multi-million dollar venture with pro-Congress party actor turned politician Kamal Hassan's movie "Indian 2.0".

The Tamil diaspora is driven by the fact that without a Tamil Nadu Chief Minister's support who would be able to influence the sitting Indian Prime Minister, they will never even get a federal solution to the Tamil problem in Sri Lanka.

Thus, the Tamil minority in Sri Lanka is not only able to lobby the UNHRC, as I mentioned here earlier but also they are trying to lobby a sitting Indian Prime Minister with the help of UN and western nations. This is the single biggest threat the Sri Lankan military and its former leadership is facing today.