India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jaysimha
BRFite

Re: India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

Post by jaysimha »

NATIONALWORKSHOP on DATA SECURITY and CRYPTOLOGY IIT BHILAI
Date: 27 - 29 May 2019
https://www.iitbhilai.ac.in/index.php?p ... a_security
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

The 10th edition of Strategic Electronics Summit (SES 2019) – Defence & Aerospace, scheduled on 11th & 12th July, 2019 at Bangalore International Exhibition Center, (BIEC) Bangalore.
Bengaluru, INDIA

http://ses-india.in/SES%202019%20Leaflet.pdf

http://ses-india.in/
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Maj.Gen. MJS SYALI DIRECTORATE OF INDEGINISATION -- SPEAKING
DR. VK Aatre
SRI VVR SASTRY - EX CMD BEL
CDR. ABHIJIT SINHA (RETD.) GM, SHINMAYWA INDUSTRIES
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Jay, a request please focus on posting links with content. If you are only posting seminars/dates etc please make sure they are relevant by providing info on who are attending and what is being discussed and , please mark it above with a header saying General Information alone. That way when we get to the thread seeing an updates been made, we can know what's what. Right now, most of these General updates dont add serious content we can analyze, to the thread. Thanks.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Karanji.. I come across this kind of info so wanted to share with the forum members who may wish to attend. Many times the info itself will not be available in advance.
Karan M wrote: If you are only posting seminars/dates etc please make sure they are relevant by providing info on who are attending and what is being discussed and ,
If I know in advance, I will post. Usually this kind of events are attended by very very top people from Govt ( both state and central) / Forces/ ISRO / DRDO / DPSUs for presentations and for visiting. It is very easy and convenient to meet them if anybody want to.

Strategic Electronics Summit (SES 2018) last time was ( posted above ) was attended by so many people I dont have resources to type all that here now. Example Maj.Gen. MJS SYALI DIRECTOR OF INDEGINISATION gave a elaborate presentation on the efforts of the Indian army towards Indeginisation .

Simalrly head of BRD from IAF Nagpur, Mr. Somnath Dir. VSSC, Mr Mahesh Dir. R&D BEL etc etc during Aeromag Aerospace & Defence Manufacturing Show..
Karan M wrote:please mark it above with a header saying General Information alone. That way when we get to the thread seeing an updates been made, we can know what's what
Sure will do that. Is this what you mean?

==General Information==
Society of Indian Aerospace Technologies & Industries (SIATI) Sourcing of Aerospace Materials
Date : 31 May 2019,
Venue : AeSI Auditorium, Bangalore
https://www.siati.org/
https://www.siati.org/mtrl.pdf

At least in my view Forces/ DRDO / DPSUs are reaching out and seeking solutions from Industry / Academia more than we are looking for opportunities. May be we should thank Mr. Parrikar for all this.

It is up to us ( and forum members particularly ) to attend, share, capitalize and contribute with the best of their abilities.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

I understand why you are doing it, which is why I didn't ask you to stop it. It does have benefit for those who come across the info. via this thread.

If you are attending any of these events. Please do take the time (if you can) and provide some details of what was discussed. Even a summary would be great for the thread.

The title is exactly what I meant. Please have it in bold.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Some of the post show reports are available on their web site

http://ses-india.in/SES%20Post%20Show%2 ... 0Cover.pdf

http://ses-india.in/Post%20Show%20Repor ... 202017.pdf

will do as you say.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsle ... may_19.pdf
MAY 2019 | volume 39 | issue 5
DRDO Newsletter
India Joins Select Group of Nations, neutralises Live Satellite in Low Earth Orbit
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

=General information=
Workshop on:
"National Workshop on Aero-craft Processes and Aero-Materials"
May 23 - 27, 2019 Department: Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
National Institute of Technology Rourkela, Odisha, India, 769008
https://nitrkl.ac.in/docs/Workshop/MM/0 ... 28938B.pdf
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

=general information=
http://www.aerodefindia.com
3rd edition AeroDef India manufacturing
3-5 December 2019
BIEC Bangalore
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Note radar pic. Clearly new version of LRTR with integrated IFF style additional antenna on top and another additional antenna on side (missile guidance?).

Also, laser fence, high nitrogen armor steel, portable diver detection sonar all ready for production.
jaysimha wrote:https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsle ... may_19.pdf
MAY 2019 | volume 39 | issue 5
DRDO Newsletter
India Joins Select Group of Nations, neutralises Live Satellite in Low Earth Orbit
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

jaysimha wrote:Symposium on
'Critical Non-Ferrous Metals: Establishing the value chain'
April 15-16, 2019
Venue : VMCC, IIT Bombay, Powai
https://www.me.iitb.ac.in/~cnfm2019/
Report http://delhidefencereview.com/2019/05/0 ... tegic-use/
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

NEW DELHI: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has said that its weapon systems and platforms worth over Rs 2.75 lakh crore have either been inducted into the services or would be joining them soon.

Speaking exclusively to ANI, DRDO Chief G Satheesh Reddy said their recent successes in the field of radars and missile technologies has further enhanced the trust levels of the services in his organisation and they are inducting its platforms in bigger numbers.

“We have lot of strength in the area of missiles. We are strong in radars, and torpedo technologies and then we are very good in airborne early warning systems and electronic warfare domain," he said.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/67360692.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

DRDO Successfully Conducts Flight Test of ABHYAS

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted successful flight test of ABHYAS - High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from Interim Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha today. The flight test was tracked by various RADARS & Electro Optic Systems and proved its performance in fully autonomous way point navigation mode.

The configuration of ABHYAS is designed on an in-line small gas turbine engine and uses indigenously developed MEMS based navigation system for its navigation and guidance. The performance of the system was as per simulations carried out and demonstrated the capability of ABHYAS to meet the mission requirement for a cost effective HEAT.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Nice - one more cost-effective requirement for local SAMS, AAMs and radar development met. Can modify it as PGM as well.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Looks like a new engine.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Its using a MEMS based navigation system as well. Can run complex trajectories via waypoints.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Would be nice if we develop this into a decoy or even precision strike platform.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

PTA upgrade?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

No, much much smaller. In fact, they modified one of the towed bodies of the PTA (you can see them hanging form the wings of the PTA).

Having said that they are trying to replace the PTA with this. The difference is that PTA is quite expensive and was designed not to be "expendable" in most cases. The towed bodies would act as a target which were destroyed by the missile being tested. But PTa became an expensive unserviceable vehicle. So much so, that the most of the latest tests were done with the Banshee target drone.

Abhyas is designed ground up to be a "cheap" and "expendable" target in most cases. A provision is there to recover the drone through a 2 stage parachute. They made quick progress in 2013, and tested a few prototypes. But, there were challenges in launching the drone. It has been in cold storage for a while. I don't know what has changed to bring this back to life.

Karan, this is too small to be used as a GL PGM. All up weight is 75 kg.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

>>Karan, this is too small to be used as a GL PGM. All up weight is 75 kg.

Yes, I want a dozen off them hanging off each wing of an AN-32 style platform.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Look at that intake!! Must be draggy!! :((, SMOKY engines too!!
:mrgreen:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Karan M wrote:>>Karan, this is too small to be used as a GL PGM. All up weight is 75 kg.

Yes, I want a dozen off them hanging off each wing of an AN-32 style platform.
That would be the SAAW kind of weapon. Or are you thinking of a powered-gliding-PGM like Delilah.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Cybaru wrote:Look at that intake!! Must be draggy!! :((, SMOKY engines too!!

Only Mihir is allowed to be OSINT!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Indranil, lightweight high speed swarm, with preprogrammed waypoints to saturate targets. SAAW cant maneuver as effectively without propulsion.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Cybaru wrote:Look at that intake!! Must be draggy!! :((, SMOKY engines too!!
Had to smother my :(( when I realized the smoke is from the two boosters :rotfl: Engine is still getting cranked by tiny yindoo men inside

Considering its size, might make a good frame for a MALD-MKI
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

IR and KaranM,
What gas turbine is being used for the Abhyas?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Karan,

That is a valid use case. In fact use as a decoy is part of the plan. But I wonder if it will be in the current format. For air launch, I would expect folding wings and tail fins instead of a conventional tail. For ground launched weapon, I would expect this to be canisterized. That would mean redesigning the intake and introducing an inline booster.

Currently, they are trying to keep the costs down as much as possible. The current booster set up doesn't need them to strengthen the nozzle. Also, they repurposed the motor of 68 mm rocket as booster. But the problem with two booster set up is that it can cause asymmetry In 2013, they had a problem, the vehicle rolled over on launch. I assumed that was uncommanded. I must share a worry with you. As I see the pictures of the latest launch, the vehicle looks banked again! Right after launch, I do not expect that.

Moving to a customized inline booster should solve that problem. I wonder if Nags booster (or sustainer) can do the job.

Ramana ji,
1. I don't know. ADE had sent out a tender for the same in 2012. There are a couple of the turbines for RC planes which match the category, but I don't know if they can be used for military use.
2. The rear end of the drone has undergone a change. The nozzle seems much wider now, signalling a change in the engine from that envisaged in 2012.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Neat re-use of existing parts. Yes twin boosters will have variation in thrust and that will cause banking.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

GLOBAL NOTICE INVITING EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FROM SHIPYARDS FOR PROVIDING EXPERIENCED WORKFORCE IN CONSTRUCTION OF POLAR RESEARCH VESSEL (PRV).
https://goashipyard.in/file/2019/04/EOI-29042019.pdf
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Probably a variant of PTAE-7...for Abhyas.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

No much smaller. 25 DaN class. PTAE is 375 DaN class.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

IR you are correct...engine is not PTAE variant...much smaller like you have mentioned. Heard it is not Indian though...will try to dig up some more info if possible.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Could be the same German ones the private guys import and put in their locally assembled targets.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Zynda wrote:IR you are correct...engine is not PTAE variant...much smaller like you have mentioned. Heard it is not Indian though...will try to dig up some more info if possible.
Yes, it is imported. I was hoping against hope that it was MJE-20 from Poeir Jets (Kalyani enterprise), but it is not!
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Poirjet is not from Kalyani group. Its a venture by owner of Intech.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I thought they were in bed.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looks like OFB has upgraded the RBU 6000 ASW rockets with longer range motor and insensitive explosive.
Very good new weapon with same form factor as the old.

https://twitter.com/I30mki/status/11309 ... 16032?s=19
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Indranil wrote:I thought they were in bed.
Could be, but m not aware of that then.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ramana wrote:Looks like OFB has upgraded the RBU 6000 ASW rockets with longer range motor and insensitive explosive.
Very good new weapon with same form factor as the old.

https://twitter.com/I30mki/status/11309 ... 16032?s=19
I think they are doing something with naval deployment of Pinaka as well. At least, part of its motor is being reused for a naval missile.