Sri Lanka - News and Discussion- Post PM appointment crisis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion- Post PM appointment crisis

Post by Singha »

I saw madras cafe yesterday on prime. though its a work of fiction but does follow a general workflow of events thats similar to the tragedy both of the IPKF being double crossed by all sides and the shadow quad type characters behind the assassination.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

chetak wrote:
A_Gupta wrote:Not just Rajiv Gandhi assassination. e.g.,places like ISRO centers were under LTTE threat for a while.

the entire fort and vt areas of bombay selling smuggled goods, drugs and other imported stuff was taken over entirely by these SL guys. they had killed many of the original guys and chased out the remaining entirely.
takes some ba**s and weapons to do that? I thought would be a m-mafia dominated area being adjacent to pydhonie , byculla belt.
actually just for a real 'ground feel' of the area i once took a walk with backpack from the north byculla all the way to marine drive down the road that runs infront of CST. some the bhais and characters lounging around in the crowded lanes leading off the main road i had seen only in bollywood movies 8) there were watchful cops with walkie talkies at each Jn.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Singha wrote:
chetak wrote:

the entire fort and vt areas of bombay selling smuggled goods, drugs and other imported stuff was taken over entirely by these SL guys. they had killed many of the original guys and chased out the remaining entirely.
takes some ba**s and weapons to do that? I thought would be a m-mafia dominated area being adjacent to pydhonie , byculla belt.
they all had weapons.

their willingness to settle all arguments with a bullet or a knife made our minorities very wary.

Plus the tacit belief that these guys were supported by the govt and intelligence agencies and so in a way, the minorities steered clear of them, wary of the consequences of tangling with the agencies.

today, we know for sure that it is separatism, fundamentalism and evangelicalism that supports them in India and all of these "isms" originate offshore.

very recently, the ban on the ltte has only been extended only by five more years, I wonder why.

why not a permanent ban.

what's stopping the GoI,

TN politics and possible alliances that may be required in the near to medium term.

major TN politicos and parties have dropped all pretenses and are now aligned openly with these very same dubious forces of separatism, fundamentalism, and evangelicalism.

an east timor like situation is slowly being contrived and the same BIF are already entrenched in the neighbouring state and may have won political power to ensure their agenda is given priority.

The status and the future of Tirupati becomes that much more vulnerable if the control completely slips away from dharmic forces.
uskumar
BRFite

Post by uskumar »

major TN politicos and parties have dropped all pretenses and are now aligned openly with these very same dubious forces of separatism, fundamentalism, and evangelicalism
Very well written. dmk was always a separatist party till Indra Gandhi made them choose between separatist ideology and being and functioning as political party. Now tamil extremist people who are separatist like seeman(who make even dmk seem moderate) are polling 3 to 5 percent consistently. I am very skeptical of fate of Hindus in TN
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

No, these photos do not show a bomb-making factory used by terrorists in northern Sri Lanka - AFP
A series of photographs have been shared thousands of times in multiple Facebook posts published in May 2019 alongside a claim the images show a bomb-making factory used by terrorists in northern Sri Lanka. The claim is false; nine of the 10 photographs used in the misleading post have been taken from reports about Islamic State (IS) factories in Libya and Iraq.

The post’s Sinhalese caption translates to English as: "This is what the government is hiding from you, saying don’t show as news. Today, a bomb factory on a 30-acre farm belonging to terrorist Zaharan found in the Puthukkudiyiruppu area. (Do not scold every Muslims. Everyone is not at fault, these are mistakes of our impotent government).”

The post was published after a series of terrorist attacks on churches and hotels in Sri Lanka on April 21 left 257 people dead. Here is an AFP report about the bombings.

“Zaharan” is a reference to Zaharan Hashim, an Islamic cleric who has been linked to the suicide bombings. Here is an AFP report on Hashim.

Puthukkudiyiruppu is a town in Mullaitivu district in northern Sri Lanka.

The same photos were published on Facebook here, here and here with a similar claim.

The claim is false; nine of the ten photographs used in the misleading post have been taken from media reports about an Islamic State (IS) factories found in Libya and Iraq.

A reverse image search on Google found four out of the ten photos in the misleading post were published in this article by UK newspaper The Daily Mail on August 2, 2016.

The headline states: ‘Inside an ISIS bomb-making factory in Libya: Metal bolts for suicide vests, shaved BEARDS left by disguised militants’.
Look at the pictures at the link above and see for yourself how these photos and news were fabricated.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So Tuan you think there were no Islamist terrorists who did the Easter Sunday bombing? And no people died?
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

No, there were bombings and people died. However, there seems to be some evidence that Gotabaya funded the NTJ, but I don't think he had any idea what they were planning, because according to reports Zahran was talking about ISIS publicly since January 2017. The photos that were fact-checked by AFP are real ones, just not from Sri Lanka. That has been happening a lot. It was just circulating on Facebook and other social media and randomly individuals. We would not even know if the video footages of suicide bombers that the SL govt put forward is genuine or not. It's not a question of Islamist terrorists or ISIS targeting SL. It's a question of local groups allying with ISIS, or it has been staged by SL intelligence with external support, such as China and Pakistan. ISIS doesn't care either way and will claim responsibility for anything.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

NTJ paid by Sri Lankan intelligence, soldiers organised police murder - cabinet spokesperson
https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/n ... w3eEHfhuog
Sri Lanka’s cabinet spokesperson said that at least four army officers were involved in organising the assassination of police officers in Batticaloa last year, and claimed dozens of National Thawheed Jammath members (NTJ) were on the payroll of Sri Lankan intelligence linked to Gotabaya Rajapaksa.

Rajitha Senaratne made the claims in a press conference in Colombo earlier today, after it emerged that the Sri Lankan security forces had previously ignored several warnings about the NTJ and their plans to attack churches last week.

Speaking to reporters, Senaratne said at least four army officers had directed the assassination of two Sri Lankan police officers at a checkpoint in Vavunathivu on November 30, 2018.

Amidst raids carried out in the wake of the Easter Sunday bombings, a gun found in a house in Kalmunai is believed to be a missing police rifle from the killings. Two former LTTE cadres, arrested by authorities after the shooting, remain in detention without charge over the incident, amid much criticism by Tamil politicians who argued they were innocent.

Senaratne, Sri Lanka’s health minister, went on to claim that at least 26 members of the recently banned NTJ, who are being blamed for the Easter Sunday attacks, were being paid by Sri Lankan intelligence and linked to Gotabaya Rajapaksa. The former defence secretary last week announced that he would be running for president in elections scheduled to take place later this year.

The minister went on to name 'Abdul Razik' as one of the NTJ members who was on the intelligence payroll.

His claims come after Sri Lankan police said they were searching for a former soldier Bathrudeen Mohammed Mohideen, or ‘Army Mohideen’, who is suspected to have trained the bombers.

It has emerged this week that though Sri Lanka's military and political leaders were repeatedly given details information about the attacks, including potential targets, no action was taken.

See a clip of the press conference below.....
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Gotabaya gave NTJ office in Colombo, claims Sri Lankan MP
https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/g ... f9WGReLKKI
A Sri Lankan parliamentarian claimed the former defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa gave the National Thawheed Jammath (NTJ) land for an office in Colombo, amidst claims the organisation was on the Sri Lankan intelligence payroll.

Members of the NTJ are accused of carrying out the Easter Sunday attacks that killed hundreds of people on suicide bomb explosions at churches and hotels across the island. The organisation has since been banned by the Sri Lankan government.

Kurunegala District UNP MP Thushara Indunil however claimed that the NTJ received support from Rajapaksa, who announced that he would the running for president in elections set to be held later this year.

“It was during the previous regime that NTJ was nurtured,” claimed Indunil. “The former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa helped strengthen the NTJ by devoting a plot of land in Colombo for the office of NTJ.”

His claims come after Sri Lanka’s cabinet spokesperson said at least 26 members of the NTJ were funded by Sri Lankan intelligence.

Indunil said the All Ceylon Jamiyathul Ulema had warned the Sri Lankan government “as early as 2014” about the emergence of the NTJ and Islamic extremists on the island. “If the former Defence Secretary was privy to this information, we ask of what he did then, knowing the threats it posed,” he said.

“He tried to divide the peaceful community of Muslims into two. He knew that it would help him in his political endeavours which is why he strengthened one group against the other. Basil Rajapaksa said that there are 200 such mosques and the defence secretary assisted in setting them up.”

See more from the Daily News here.

Cabinet spokesperson Rajitha Senaratne said that at least four army officers were involved in organising the assassination of police officers in Batticaloa last year, and claimed dozens of NTJ were on the payroll of Sri Lankan intelligence linked to Rajapaksa.

Several reports have now emerged of how the Sri Lankan government had been repeatedly warned of the threat posed by the NTJ and given details of an imminent attack threatening churches. No action was taken.

The Easter Sunday attacks are confirmed to have killed over 250 people.
Last edited by Rahul M on 23 May 2019 02:39, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: warned for promoting LTTE propaganda website.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

An opinion piece:
https://www.colombotelegraph.com/index. ... -possible/
Why A Political Settlement With The LTTE To Peacefully End The War Was Not Possible
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

The link of TamilGuardian is a pro Leftist Extremist website. Must not have a place in here. Need to remove propaganda pieces of the LTTE terrorists and their Western masters.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Intern ... t-and-Road
Japan and India to develop Colombo port, countering Belt and Road
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

uddu wrote:The link of TamilGuardian is a pro Leftist Extremist website. Must not have a place in here. Need to remove propaganda pieces of the LTTE terrorists and their Western masters.
As far as I know, it is a Tamil diaspora owned website and I don't know of any link whatsoever to the LTTE.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Tuan wrote:
uddu wrote:The link of TamilGuardian is a pro Leftist Extremist website. Must not have a place in here. Need to remove propaganda pieces of the LTTE terrorists and their Western masters.
As far as I know, it is a Tamil diaspora owned website and I don't know of any link whatsoever to the LTTE.
right, it's just an innocent website that happens to publish glowing obituaries of LTTE terrorists, like this one : https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/r ... ier-balraj

warning issued. next attempt to push LTTE propaganda would earn you a permanent ban.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The Daily Mirror of Sri Lanka reports:

Five accomplices of Zahran arrested in Horowpathana
http://www.dailymirror.lk/top_story/Fiv ... 155-167831

41 bank accounts belonging to terrorists freezed
http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167843

Hand grenades recovered from Matugama school
http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167838

State of Emergency passed in parliament
http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167840
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The Daily Mirror of Sri Lanka reports (of more strategic importance)

No Agreement for Permanent US Base in SL - US Ambassador to Sri Lanka Alaina Teplitz
http://www.dailymirror.lk/hard-talk/No- ... 334-167574

SL renounces legal immunity to US military
http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167771
Foreign Affairs Minister Tilak Marapana had informed the US Government that Sri Lanka was no longer agreeable to grant legal immunity to American military personnel under the new Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), Leader of the House Lakshman Kiriella told Parliament yesterday.
US only sought to amend 1995 agreement with SL - Official
http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167755
The United States has sought to amend the 1995 agreement with Sri Lanka on the status of Department of Defence (DoD) military personnel and civilian employees, only to include some additional privileges, such as the mutual recognition of professional licenses, fees for support services rendered, and regulations for hiring foreign and local contractors, a spokesman said yesterday.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Rahul M wrote:
Tuan wrote:
right, it's just an innocent website that happens to publish glowing obituaries of LTTE terrorists, like this one : https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/r ... ier-balraj

warning issued. next attempt to push LTTE propaganda would earn you a permanent ban.
Sir,

You are the third moderator, who warned me in recent weeks following Ramana and Sridhar regarding what I post. I do understand that it is an Indian defense forum and thus serve India's national and regional interests.

I am not going to justify my actions; however, I would like to hereby inform you that I only posted the Tamil Guardian links to make my argument that how the Sri Lankan military intelligence is implicated in the recent bombings in Sri Lanka. Nothing else.

I would also like to make it clear to everyone here that please beware of the fact that 99% of Sri Lankan Tamil diaspora support the LTTE, that they even make “remembrance day” here in Canadian parliament on every May 19 that is announced by the Canadian Prime Minister

—-deleted—-

Therefore, please accept my apologies if in any way I violated the forum rules and I will refrain myself form posting stuff on this forum from now on.

Thanks,

Tuan.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Govt. to amend Muslim Marriage and Divorce Act
http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-167849
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe is reported to have informed the diplomatic community in Sri Lanka yesterday that the Muslim Marriage and Divorce Act would be amended to increase the age of marriage to 18 for Muslim women in a move aimed at unifying the personal laws as far as possible.

He briefed the heads of diplomatic missions in Colombo on the security situation in the country after the serial bombings on April 21 and the steps taken for de-radicalization as a step towards sustainable peace in the country.

The PM said steps would be taken to reform the education sector and the legal system of the country.

As an initial step for implementing a common law cutting across different ethnic groups, he said the Muslim Marriage and Divorce Act would be amended to declare 18 as the marriageable age for Muslim women in line with other the laws applicable for other communities.

He said Madrasas or the Muslim religious schools would be brought under the purview of the Education Ministry.

According to sources close to the Prime Minister, there were requests from Muslim Woman organizations to increase the age of marriage to 18.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Funds worth Rs.one bn in bank accounts of those arrested in Horowpathana
http://www.dailymirror.lk/top_story/Fun ... 155-167892
It was revealed that there were funds amounting to Rs. one billion in the bank accounts belonging to the five suspects, who were arrested in Horowpathana yesterday on suspicion of having links with the National Thowheed Jama'at (NTJ) and its leader Zahran Hashim, a senior police official told the Daily Mirror.

Among those arrested were a development officer attached to the Horowpathana Divisional Secretariat, a teacher of a government school in Horowpathana, two teachers of an Arabic college in Kiwulekada and a resident of Kebithigollewa.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Troops hunt those linked to suicide attacks
May 25, 2019, 7:17 pm
http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat ... tle=204826
The military launched a major hunt, on Saturday, for the remnants of the National Thowheed Jamaath, which carried out the Easter suicide bombings, killing 258 people.

Several Colombo suburbs were targeted by troops using emergency powers on arrests and detentions adopted after the April 21 attacks.

"Special cordon-and-search operations are under way in three areas just outside Colombo," a military official told reporters.

Similar operations were also carried out in North Western Province, near Colombo, where anti-Muslim riots this month left one man dead and hundreds of Muslim-owned shops, homes and mosques destroyed.

Security forces have arrested scores of suspects in connection with the bombings of three hotels and three churches and over what appeared to be organised violence against the island’s Muslim minority.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

I couldn't resist but post this here...

These are classic examples of a so-called "expert" trying to preempt and dilute the truth from coming out.

Rohan Gunaratna debunked?
http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2019/05/26 ... a-debunked

Alleged death squad leader reinstated in special team under Army Chief
http://www.ft.lk/news/Alleged-death-squ ... /56-678065
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

SM is awash with tweets on Towheed Jamath doctor who sterlized several thousand Buddhist and Hindu women.
http://www.colombopage.com/archive_19A/ ... 8961CH.php
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.thehindu.com/news/internati ... 236216.ece
Lengthy story on:
"The inside story of the 9 suicide bombers behind Sri Lanka’s savage Easter attacks "
Inshaf often objected to his father’s practice of taking short-term loans on interest for rotating cash. “He said our religion does not permit borrowing money on interest and we must stop,” a senior employee recalled. It’s something Muslims often hear their preachers say, but their father — with a practical business sense — did not consider it an offence.

“The sons were unwilling to compromise. They stepped down from the company’s board last year,” said the senior employee.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dailymirror.lk/top_story/Ind ... 155-168082
India’s NIA team to arrive in Sri Lanka to probe IS links
A team of India’s National Investigation Agency (NIA) sleuths headed by director general YC Modi would fly to Sri Lanka to probe links between Islamic State’s Kerala module and Lankan terrorist or their handlers, the Economic Times (ET) reported yesterday.

It said the Indian Home Ministry has given the go-ahead to the NIA to join the probe into the attacks. This follows Sri Lanka’s assent to share the details of the NIA investigations, officials aware of the development have said.

A top official at the Home Ministry has told ET that investigations have thrown some common linkages between the handlers of Sri Lankan bombers and self-radicalised modules in south India. “We were waiting for the confirmation from Lankan agencies,” the official said.

The federal agency had last month arrested a suspect from Kerala, identified as Riyas A. alias Riyas Aboobacker (29), who has allegedly admitted that he was following the Lankan bombers’ alleged ringleader Zahran Hashim and had plans to carry out a suicide attack in Kerala.

Aboobacker also told agencies that Hashim had radicalised several Indian youths in different parts of South India.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_news ... 108-168034
First batch to leave for China next week
The first batch of police and military personnel will head for China next week for a training programme envisaged in the defence cooperation agreement inked between Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping, a spokesman said yesterday. The batch is expected to receive training on a range of aspects including the provision of security to project sites.

The two Presidents signed the agreement on May 14 in Beijing in the wake of serial bombings in Sri Lanka that claimed the lives of more than 250 persons.

A spokesman for the Chinese embassy told Daily Mirror yesterday that China would provide assistance for capacity-building of the security forces and the police, and supply equipment to ensure national security. He said the first batch of police and security forces personnel would undertake a training programme next week.

“We will not send our military personnel here. Instead, we do capacity-building for the Sri Lankan security forces. We rely on them for our security. There is no need for us to send our military personnel here. It is not our policy,” he said, adding that there were more training opportunities available.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Sri Lanka, Japan, India sign deal to develop East Container Terminal at Colombo Port - Meera Srinivasan, The Hindu
Sri Lanka, Japan and India on Tuesday signed an agreement to jointly develop the East Container Terminal at the Colombo Port.

The signing of the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) is significant, given that India and Sri Lanka were negotiating a potential partnership on the project, although with little success.

New Delhi’s interest in partnering the project is well known. Over 70% of the transhipment business at the strategically located East Container Terminal is linked to India, according to official sources.

However, India’s possible role in developing the terminal had become a major flashpoint within the government. President Maithripala Sirisena had opposed any Indian involvement in the project, as roping in foreign actors for developing “national assets” remains a politically sensitive call in the island.

Mr. Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe had a heated argument on the matter during a cabinet meeting last year, with the Sri Lankan PM apparently more inclined towards allowing an Indian role in the project. Negotiations seemed to have hit a roadblock until Japan stepped in more recently. The new dynamic altered the prospects for India, allowing it to play a part in upgrading the terminal.

Japan has been a long-standing partner of Sri Lanka, and one of Sri Lanka’s biggest donors in the past decades. The terms of the agreement will soon be finalised at a joint working group meeting, diplomatic sources told The Hindu.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

However, India’s possible role in developing the terminal had become a major flashpoint within the government. President Maithripala Sirisena had opposed any Indian involvement in the project, as roping in foreign actors for developing “national assets” remains a politically sensitive call in the island.
Let's hope it is not another Myanmar in the making for India.
tandav
BRFite

Post by tandav »

Completely off topic. But what is the techno commercial viability of a Rail and Road bridge between India and SriLanka. China has made one between the mainland and HongKong Macao Zhuhai 55Km long. There are concerns vis a vis RamSetu etc but I am fairly certain that the bridge can also incorporate a theme park showcasing past history.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tuan wrote:Let's hope it is not another Myanmar in the making for India.
What happened to India in Myanmar?
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

I think the reference is to India taking the effort to prospect for natural gas off Myanmar coast and succeeding but China walking away with the contract for long term supply of natural gas .
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

SSridhar wrote:
Tuan wrote:Let's hope it is not another Myanmar in the making for India.
What happened to India in Myanmar?
I was referring to India's relations with Myanmar's regime that due to geopolitical concerns and to counter China, India turned a blind eye to the the Rohingya crisis, at least in the beginning of 2017. I hope that India doesn't repeat that in Sri Lanka.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

A cover article about the Easter Sunday bombings in Sri Lanka for the May/June edition of the CTC Sentinel by the Combating Terrorism Centre.

https://ctc.usma.edu/terrorism-teardrop ... sri-lanka/
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tuan wrote:
SSridhar wrote: What happened to India in Myanmar?
I was referring to India's relations with Myanmar's regime that due to geopolitical concerns and to counter China, India turned a blind eye to the the Rohingya crisis, at least in the beginning of 2017. I hope that India doesn't repeat that in Sri Lanka.
Just like any other country, India will also do whatever is in its interests and in its interests alone. India doesn't run a charity home where everyone can take refuge. If Rohingyas are a security threat to India, that's how they will be treated. I hope all factions in SL also get enlightened.

India is of course a leading contributor to HA&DR. That cannot be held against her in order to constrain her geostrategic interests. Nobody should think of offering gratuitous advice to India.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

SSridhar wrote:
Tuan wrote:
Just like any other country, India will also do whatever is in its interests and in its interests alone. India doesn't run a charity home where everyone can take refuge. If Rohingyas are a security threat to India, that's how they will be treated. I hope all factions in SL also get enlightened.

India is of course a leading contributor to HA&DR. That cannot be held against her in order to constrain her geostrategic interests. Nobody should think of offering gratuitous advice to India.
Duly noted.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Sri Lanka President Slams Intelligence Chief Over Easter Attack Testimony
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/sri-lan ... ks-2045576
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Sri Lanka civil war: Victim's father vows to fight for justice
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/ ... 03475.html
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

why attack xians of all people though?

any insights, tuan ji?
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

syam wrote:why attack xians of all people though?

any insights, tuan ji?

A western scholar asked me if the SL military would kill 250 Christians for a regime change or to avoid war crimes inquiry. I told her that the SL military massacred 60, 000 of their own Sinhalese Buddhist people under the guise of JVP insurgency and another 100, 000 Tamils (mainly Hindus) under the guise of LTTE insurgency. So, bombing 250 Christians are just peanuts for them. What is unbelievable to me is that they are pinning two minority groups against each other. Most importantly, they are perpetuating a stereotypical version of SL Muslims as terrorists. In my opinion, SL Muslims are the victims of both the LTTE atrocities as well as that of the GoSL, and they aren't extreme enough to stage such attacks as this one, especially the NTJ. The GoSL never gave any room for them to be radicalized to such a degree.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Tuan wrote: guise of LTTE insurgency. .
This person is peddling LTTE propaganda. Whether is a cadre or a sympathizer/beneficiary is not known. Admin's please look into it.