BRF get-together IITM July 11-14?

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

BRF get-together IITM July 11-14?

Post by UlanBatori »

The election is over. We have 5 years to make an immense difference, an opportunity of a lifetime. We have been planning and racing flat-out to get to this point: main reason why I have been infesting BRF for past few months, actually.

We are planning a different sort of get-together: this one is action oriented. Please see website:

First Abdul Kalam Conference on Sustainable Growth
IITM Chennai, July 11-14.

Yes, there is a registration fee and process: I trust that you will find it to be an excellent investment. The theme is how to break out of energy slavery, reverse environmental degradation, bring the best of technology to get new resources, break out of the Flood-Drought Curse, Bridge the gap between Research and Implementation, and re-think what is possible in Wellness and Healthcare. A sort of catch-all BRF from wildest Advanced Concepts to grass-roots realities.

The question posed is how to guide Bharat development towards true Superpower of Humanity level, while using traditional wisdom to avoid the China/West trap of destroying the land, its air and water. The postulated answer is a massively distributed, post-modern, rural-based economy that reverses urban migration, turns each village into a planned, modern eco-friendly and productive place to live, and steadily reverses pollution. Think reforestation back to the level of 4000 years ago, along with ultra-modern hydrogen economy and efficient transportation. Think reversal of Climate Change. Think rise of the rupee to 3 times its present value relative to world currencies.

There is already a very significant BRF presence in the 5 Working Groups, which we can discuss here. Very significant lead-off speakers including long-time associates of President Kalam, and people very well-versed with Indian history, realities and possibilities. Strong meeting of technology with social science and rural realities.

OK, nap time in Ulan Bator, will pick up in a few hours if the thread is still there. Invitations to serious action usually clear the room, but I hope this one does not. If you believe what you write about the potential of Bharat, well... time to REALLY do something to boost that, now that the election battle has been won.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: BRF get-together IITM July 11-14?

Post by UlanBatori »

Time to get back on track. This thread looks like headed for 1,732,643 posts, out of which only 1,732,643 will be from me. But that is still worth it, everyone in Pakistan/ISI will have read it. I happen to know that ppl in Balwaristan are very interested in the sorts of things we are discussing.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Hello Prof. I am interested in participating in WG1, but cannot be there in person. Is there a way to be involved remotely?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

UB sir any webex/zoom/hangout or such facility and formal support for virtual presence would be great , I can commit to work and contribution in relevant form after knowing what needs to get done and obviously subject to my competence , however physical presence during conference is iffy at this point in time (I will try my best to be there). I live in Bangalore so if proximity is of any significance I can help , very good at poking holes at proposals (in a good way) , good at ppt giri (although abhor that kind of work), can do all types of manual labour and give some time on weekends , I can tick some tick-boxes on what's out there in terms of buzzwords in the industry (although I look down upon most of that as BS) however since $hit sells so FWIW I can do that too. With that background if you think my kind will bring something to the table I will volunteer to take the first step.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ubatori at geepata.

Great! Count yourselves recruited.

We may hit you for some part of India-based registration but we fully intend to provide ZOOM/ other live connectivity, $$$ willing (IITM handles that). Reduces carbon footprint after all!

The point of the Working Groups is exactly that: we want actual work and thought ahead of the "conference" so that we minimize the hot-air format of ppl coming and presenting 20-minute PPT floods and scooting out, nothing accomplished. This way the main work is done ahead of time, leaving the conference mainly for chai-biscoot-samosa and some lamp-lighting, bouquets etc. So you are right, physical attendance is not essential, but we do need enough registration to cover the costs, incl. bringing in some distinguished guests. Any generous corporate ppl here are invited to please write a cheque to IITM for that.

I assume you are all familiar with TEX/LaTEX? Working groups reports will look eerily similar to PeeAref thread content, for evident reasons. We welcome the ability to list participants to the extent that they will let us.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 26 May 2019 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
MurthyG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MurthyG »

UlanBatori ji,
I work on energy, water and food sustainability issues. Cannot come personally due to other travels but would love to participate remotely in any discussions and event itself. Will that be OK?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Sure. I am reading that nowadays in Swedenistan there is a movement to avoid airplane flights in order to reduce Carbon footprint. I think future Conferences to Save Da World will have to take note of this, since it has been done in the Bhesht.
Since setting up and operating the electronic participation takes some costs (IITM has costs!), I am trying to negotiate with the organizers to set up an e-participation registration rate. Likely to be $100 if US/international and Rs. 1000 through the Indian portal, but wait until they agree and set up that, which will occur as the Early Registration period ends on May 31.

No, you don't have to pay that to be in the Working Group and actually contribute material (some good people have already contributed material!), that can be done via email etc, much appreciated. I do think the live presentations from unique people would be worth the registration, though.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

For starters, here are links to the Summary (10page) and the Full Report (147 pages, 59MB or so) of the predecessor to this conference: Smart Village Roadmap to Rural Self-Reliance, Atlanta, GA, USA, March 2017.

The Roadmap from the Smart Village Roadmap conference is given in the 10-page Summary linked here:

The full report of the conference (50+MB!) is given here

These will explain why WG1 is what it is: We realized that the key to expanding rural self-reliance, is by fostering enterprise in the rural areas, which would then expand the already-demonstrated energy systems, using locally-trained villagers experienced in installing the systems, thereby giving those installer/maintainers also a livelihood. We aim to create a new career/enterprise stream of Energy Services Technician/Entrepreneur: the go-to whether you want your solar PV battery serviced, the control board replaced, or get your biogas tank serviced (stir the go-poo with vegetables, clear out the chutes, replace any SO2/H2SO4 filters, adjust the holes in the burner, etc etc). And in future, to service your Intensifed Solar bio-fuel generator and solar hydrogen generator. Not a PhD, but trained service person who knows when and where to call for more sophisticated help.

We feel that once the villagers realize that competent maintenance/advice are available within walking distance, the barrier to investing in energy systems will come down. Then micro-loans can cover the cost of getting the system, while revenue from enterprise operations will fund maintenance. Today I think these will pay their own way versus grid-based electricity and cylinder-based cooking gas, in a short time, and then it's gravy as far as energy expansion is concerned.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Anoop wrote:Hello Prof. I am interested in participating in WG1, but cannot be there in person. Is there a way to be involved remotely?
what is the best way for Itvity Yaks get involved ? i too cannot attend in person is there a way to register for online only . what would be the fees for online ?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Pls see above: but still negotiating. We want input, first (that costs nothing!) Maybe some kind Yuvraj Charmin will come by with a big donation and then we won't need to worry about registration at all except for physical attendees, but not there yet as far as I know. Ideally an event with good content and an e-attendance of 1,532,634 would be the target, but some distance from that.

If you are anywhere near Chennai area or within access to it, please consider physical attendance. Live look-in-the-eye discussion cannot be beaten for quality! Some neat project ideas are going to be developed there I am sure.
Like I said, getting such a mandate for continuing the smart policies of the guvrmand is a super boon. Consider all the revolutionary changes since 2014, and you see that today India is really launching from a much better, fast-moving platform.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Pls see above: but still negotiating. We want input, first (that costs nothing!) Maybe some kind Yuvraj Charmin will come by with a big donation and then we won't need to worry about registration at all except for physical attendees, but not there yet as far as I know. Ideally an event with good content and an e-attendance of 1,532,634 would be the target, but some distance from that.

If you are anywhere near Chennai area or within access to it, please consider physical attendance. Live look-in-the-eye discussion cannot be beaten for quality! Some neat project ideas are going to be developed there I am sure.
Like I said, getting such a mandate for continuing the smart policies of the guvrmand is a super boon. An initial tsunami of discontent with the prior government, followed 5 years later with a ringing endorsement and even greater support for the present government!!!

Consider all the revolutionary changes since 2014, and you see that today India is really launching from a much better, fast-moving platform. Never before has there been such an opportunity, and I am not betting on 2024 at all: by then we want to be a very different nation altogether.
It is feasible IMO to slash energy imports by a huge factor while growing rural energy also by a very large factor. And with that comes a rural GDP that dwarfs the urban/heavy industry parts.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Please visit the Artificial Intelligence thread to see some of the things we have been discussing. That is just starters.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I see that you are accepting general donations. Where do I get that sent within India? I see links for the fee payment.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Oh, please email the organizers (or I can convey it). If you are in desh, it will go straight to an account set up by IITM at the IITM SBI branch for the conference, presumably by NaMo DeMo e-payment. They would have to send you the details, but they are quick about it, I will be happy to forward to them.

If you are in US, Taksha.org or GIBC will accept the payment. Pls email me (u.b.) and we will put you in touch with the appropriate entity. Thanks in advance!
{In no case does any money go through Mongolia!!}
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

So it's not chai biscuit meet up? I thought you are giving tea party. I even posted some embarrassing stuff in the reply. Deleted it later. :oops:

UB saar, I would like to attend a regular meet up. Please let me know when you do that.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Aiyyoo!!! Please note that it is ubatori at geemail. One does not look at the sign carved into the rock above one's cave.
syamji:

Plenty of time for chai-biscoot during the event in addition to formal stuff. Sorry if I misled on that.

Syamji, sadly, meet at usual feeding trough near Mongolia Bay not possible before this, much as it would have been nice to meet and gloat. Maybe after as in August/Sep.
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

I will be there in person. I am just in the local area. I can also contribute my time/effort.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Thanks, Dumalji.
A new draft of Working Group Report #4 has been uploaded

More contributors and contributions to the reports are most welcome! We will do basic typo-checking many times, no hurry for that. Please focus on higher-level stuff for now. Thx.
Now moving to update other WG Reports.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

e-participation has been approved by organizers, so no travel logistics excuse: Will appear on website by end of week. Unless I am mistaken, e-participation (probably via ZOOM) also earns Certificate of Participation. You can show that to your grand-brats and take full credit when they pause in their jet-driven skateboards to wonder how India transformed from a "poor" nation to a nation that is considered rich and powerful (latest statement of direction from PM).

All the more reason to read the Working Group drafts and contribute your gyan, pls.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

UB saar, I will try to attend this in person. Have you reached out to the doc? He might also be interested to attend. I can do that if you want me to. Pliss to let me know onlee.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

A quick question, I didn't see anything about education at the village level. Was this discussed and included under a different heading? I didn't spot it, hence the q.

Education that does not glorify English, city life, itvity, etc could contribute to arresting migration, if not reversing it. I have some ideas based on some observations that I could try building up on.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

arshyam wrote:UB saar, I will try to attend this in person. Have you reached out to the doc? He might also be interested to attend. I can do that if you want me to. Pliss to let me know onlee.
I have reached out, but can you do so with a stick please? I have stolen liberally from him In Working Group 5 (see medical dhaga) but would appreciate his deciding to attend in person, and sending me more pointed stuff. He is not on WhatsApp apparently so cannot bother him too much from Mongolia. Thanks

Re: Education
No, and for a reason. Village education is obviously a top priority. We have started by bringing basic electric lights (and fans to drive away mosquitos, considered a top priority by the village mothers, apparently) so that the brats don't get evenings free due to power failure. The Single Teacher Schools do a wonderful job with the resources that they have: the creations of the brats would bring tears to your eyes.

But beyond that is a huge morass. As the doc would say, "every oiseule has an opinion" on What Eej Wrong With Indian Education. I personally do not believe there is anything wrong with Indian education (other than the need to feed the Social Studies Textbooks to the village cows and goats except then they will all lean 60 degrees to the left and moo/bleat "Inquilab Zindabad" with a British Accept).

Not that there is nothing wrong with HOW THE INSTITUTIONS ARE RUN. The fundamental problem I see is lack of integrity across the board, starting with the Chancellors down to the Principals. The teachers have little option but to follow the diktats of people who have no spine, even if they have any integrity.

Obviously there are thousands, hundreds of thousands, million? of Indian-educated people who have world-beating education. Came through the same system as what produces the horror stories. So it is not that excellence is not possible.

Without fundamentally altering that, there is no sense in criticizing this or that. And we don't want to get into that quagmire right now.
(I think the Culture part will come, through the primary schooling and connection to the Internet. Imagine! BRF OutOfIndia Thread becoming Required Reading (translated to local language of course by AI/Natural Language Processing) from all 597,000 villages. This beats any number of Textbook//curriculum Committees.
We may simply put a Ban on browsing that, and supply instructions on how to learn enough hacking to get around that. Motivation + Opportunity plus incentive to learn the Real Sophisticated stuff in "IT". 8) And get support from UndieTV.

Like there used to be a plastic piece on a string hung near the coin-operated telephone in the hostel with instructions available. :mrgreen:
RohitH
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RohitH »

Democratize education :
A) Craft a series of top grade YouTube videos for every grade in vernacular languages.Lessons that can be accessed on phones.
B) Any kid willing to learn or a parent/guardian trying to teach should be able to use them.
C) 100% online tests / examinations with unlimited number of attempts.
D) Every subject / course should be available to anyone who can score passing grade in prerequisite courses.
E) Scrap all state and all India “bored” and merge them into one standard enforcing body.
E) Fund Haye Haye Teees for government sponsored result driven research
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

These are excellent suggestions. Maybe we WILL start an (underground for now) Working Group on Education. But I maintain that the problem with education is not, and never has been, quality students, teachers or even curricula. It is the administration. So I feel that efforts under WG4 and WG1 will fix the top layer ethics/spine issues and the bottom layer access issues.
The idea of a "GST" equivalent for education is certainly worth mulling. But IMO there is some truth the adage:
There ain't no Royal Road to Mathematics. Nor thermodynamics. Nor XYZ. And most of all not the Vedas
Basically if u educate ur troops in XYZ, then I will educate mine in XYZ+1, so there is no end to the competition. Every parent wants their brats to be Dunia #1 - even if it is as a soosai-bummer. Why not provide basic access and opportunity - and then get out of the way of those who will figure out how to learn/educate best? It appears to be a growing realization that curricula should be controlled at the local level, but minimum quality of education and accomplishment should be established at the central level.
The rest we can thrash out chai-biscoot on the Indian Education dhaga. As u might have noticed, we Mongolians steer well clear of that as well as some other deep-knawlidj threads. Reasons above. :roll:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Anyway, getting back to Arshyamji's pooch: How to instill cultural values?
Through the efforts in WG 1& 2. We are trying to set basic education/technology/skills on the one hand, and Renew Mother Earth in very traditional contexts, which will also permeate into WG4 (governance&implementation aka work ethic) and Healthcare (good living habits, Ayurveda + telemedicine and top-class research). Some opportunities for deep social/ societal strategizing, starting with educating people about the ancient Hanoi-to-Haifa continiuum of technology, trade and transport infrastructure that is the real tradition of Bharat. So yes, "education" is woven into those, but not called out as "trash the history books".
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The other side is that village schools (even very yindoo Single Teacher Schools) are training their Acharyas in "Spoken English".
My name is VenkataBhadrachalm Singh Tissanayake. Call me "Mike".
Can you argue with them? In English? So we have to be realistic. One would do better to come up with reasons why learning Bharatiya ItihAsa and Samskrtam lead to a job and a wealthy life. Might be something in AI but I am too ignorant to think of it.
RohitH
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RohitH »

UlanBatori wrote:One would do better to come up with reasons why learning Bharatiya ItihAsa and Samskrtam lead to a job and a wealthy life. Might be something in AI but I am too ignorant to think of it.
Bhartiya Itihas and sanskriti can give more than just well paid jobs.We don’t need AI for this to happen :)

Here’s is how it can be made possible:
Our sanskriti revolves around temples, vedas and dissemination of vedic philosophy at the time of birth, death and moment of distress and despair in life.

Today this huge psychological need of society is satisfied by scores of babajis. These people sometimes achieve position of power through unscrupulous means. We need to democratize this eco-system and make it possible for common aspirant to learn and practice the trade of delivering vedic wisdom across the country without any caste or temple / mutt affiliations and through electronic means.

Think of number of farmers who can be saved from suicide through these means.

There are four pillars of philosophy: theoretical philosophy (metaphysics and epistemology), practical philosophy (ethics, social and political philosophy, aesthetics), logic, and hi
story of philosophy.

Formulate practical vedic philosophy courses including skills of effective marketing and prepare new age pujari who can deliver vedic services on life events and accept payment through Bhim app. Build worthy competition for likes of Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.
RohitH
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RohitH »

Emailed at ubatori at geemail.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Rohitji, we are struggling with the question of how to convince villagers to take up enterprise. This is a massive problem, if one starts thinking. Yet without this I see no way to really break through. At present farmers take the huge risk, and when things go bad they see no option except migration as refugees to city slums - or to escape debt, suicide. This is because farming is so terribly vulnerable to all sorts of things that are far outside their control or predictive power. For instance now there is an onion glut, I believe. Some years ago there was an onion famine.

But back to the village. People have been thinking of getting rural families to supplement their income outside farming. This is like telling a city computer programmer to take up lathe operation to supplement income: where are these poor people to find the time and energy and resources to pursue ANOTHER skill/profession when they are struggling night and day to keep head above water? Meanwhile many go unemployed in the villages.

So can we phrase the training for enterprise, in traditional terms? Perhaps stories of how the ancient industries and trades developed - designed by knowledgeable MBA/Accounting/Entrepreneurship types? Get some Gujarati traders to give lessons on how business families operate?

This goes back to the Vivekananda/ Gandhi exhortation to "City folks, go to the villages and teach them on their own terms, things that are useful to them" (IOW, in those days, don't start with Charles Dickens etc). I am not saying to give rural folks Panchatantra Comics, but much more serious lessons involving how to get microfinance, how to do accounting, all in their native languages. If 10 people per village of 1000 succeed in setting up small shops for various things, at least they will be able to afford a full-time Energy Shop. Maybe an Enterprise Center for every cluster of 100 villages. The temples should form support groups to protect farmers/ village entrepreneurs from outside upheavals, by maintaining good contact with the guvrmand.

Anyway, this is the crux of the problem. If we get small enterprises to succeed in villages, we can expand energy, water, education, healthcare, environment cleanups, everything. But as you know, typical success rates for small enterprises are dismal, so how to do this?

Franchising through some quasi-profit-oriented entity? Is there such a thing that can operate efficiently?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

UB,

As an ex Urban Planer, I used to question why there is no Rural Planning. I realized much, much later that while "Urban" is well defined and understood rural is not really defined. Rural is what is NOT Urban. Think about that. So, if one were to introduce any "Urban" traits into "Rural" areas, "Rural" can stand to become "Urban" (or Rur-Urban or Suburban). That, I think, is true even today, across the globe.

Here is GoI version of "Rural":

What is rural sector or which place can be defined as rural area?
The "rural sector" means any place as per the "latest census (External website that opens in a new window)" which meets the following criteria,

* A population of less than 5,000
* Density of population less than 400 per sq km and
* more than "25 per cent of the male working population" is engaged in agricultural pursuits."

(That "25 per cent" should be "75 per cent". There is a typo there)

I think we can encourage anything as long as it "is engaged in agricultural pursuits". Have these folks become experts in 3D printing, but, associated with "agriculture".
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

One quick word on this Urban-Rural thoughts. It has been a huge problem for eons - Greeks, Romans, etc, etc, etc faced these issues. No one - outside Winnie the Pooh - can "control" these migrations. One can TRY and manage them. ................... So, IMHO, do not even bother to try and find a cause/effect. Never worked.

On "education" - keep it "rural" - in short agrarian. Use GPS, apps, whatever, BUT focus ALL of these on agriculture. Teach them PR, marketing, scientific methods of yield, etc, but ALL of it has to be agriculture related.

Provide electricity, but throttle it towards agriculture/studies/etc, not cricket or Bollywood. Not an easy task.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

All good points. As we discussed elsewhere, TN village clusters (70 villages, each of around 1000 ppl) easily exceed 5000 people, but they are not urban. I would argue that "urban" should only be used to describe places that have some essential infrastructure.

IMO, one cannot just grow modern enterprise in an agrarian place, where all college-educated ppl have migrated to the cities. One hears occasionally of
She had MBA and hajaar-karod jaab with MNC, but quit and decided to go to the villages
but these will not cause this improvement. So one HAS to have enterprises that are usually based in cities, and have nothing to do with agriculture, move to rural locations.

Look at Malloostan example. It is basically one vast rural area, but is also a suburban area.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

:), true. I should have deleted "UB". Sorry.

I think you should get this IITM effort behind you and then we can focus on some of the specific issues. They are not easy, but beatable. Just need to get a game plan in place.

L8r
RohitH
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RohitH »

UBji our villagers needs understanding of basic cash flow and risk involved in their life decisions. These can be investing in cultivation of a certain crop without understanding the quantum of risk ( following the herd mentality instead of objective decision making ) , taking loan at very high interest rates from local money lenders to spend on his daughter’s marriage / dowry / illness.

These are indian villager’s life decisions that are driven by societal or peer pressure and are not enterprise related.

A trained financial adviser/pyschotherapist/accountant in the garb of a bhagwa dhari chanting sanskrit shlokas who can reason and impart wisdom to help make sound life decisions is the real need.

This above tactic is well proven. I know of a family member, a trained psychiatrist, who practiced psychiatry in remote villages of central india acting as a priest. He developed thousands of devout followers in several villages and served for decades until he retired.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^ rohitji

Very interesting: that could well be a model.

IMO, GPS-controlled tractors, and various other forms of automation, are going to up-end agricultural employment. To prevent farmer families getting driven out by MNC-owned mega-farming, there needs to be intelligent technology infusion. Land use has to be optimized, by introducing things like vertical farming for vegetables, in climate-controlled "greenhouses" Expensive to install and operate, so those will need significant help but they can give the farmers a great buffer against monsoon delay etc. Crop changes can be made swiftly.
Likewise, biofuel (algae) could be introduced as a separate cash crop that can be operated from homes (terraces).

These days Indian farmers have Smartphones better than mine. A few good Apps can make a big difference in their lives. Sound advice from a temple-related place is not at all a bad idea. Sanskrit shlokas can be developed to say what we want them to say, a bit of chankian PR is not at all out of place. After all the "Puranas" are living bodies of knowledge, these will become part of the Puranas. The same can do the propaganda to end the insane expenditures of weddings. Young people should be simply brainwashed to understand that weddings should be kept simple, and any money is better in the Modi Bank Account than invested in flattened-gold-disk jewelry where the jewelry shop makes 50% profit.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^ NRao:
rich experiences of livelihood projects from across the country which have generated 2.5 million emerging entrepreneurs,” added Vinay Vutukuru, co-Task Team Leader and Senior Agricultural Specialist.
Wow!
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Re: agricultural income and crop patterns. As a follow up to the Rally for Rivers, a draft policy document was released. The main thrust is to supplement crop based agriculture with tree based agriculture as a way of reversing soil erosion. Many case studies from across the world are documented.

ttps://isha.sadhguru.org/rally-for-rivers/draft-policy/
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Good stuff. Going into report.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

UB sir (not a brainwave) don’t know how to put this coherently but there needs to be a per village economy that more or less makes the village self sufficient in terms of employment, food production, education and healthcare. For this we can look at where we can generate the money from one of them obviously being agriculture and link up with markets so that farm to home is institutionalized. While that is one village home stays for city folks will generate supplemental income. Beyond this they can become grid linked renewable energy hubs(operated by villagers). We can also pencil in fisheries and hand loom as value adders. If we start looking we can create a whole village based money generators with little capital expenditure(funded in a PPP model) each model tailored to a village but following a few guard rails and this IMO will stop the urban migration and lead to better lives in villages and cities. Looking for papers along this line at NIRD etc but didn’t find anything that holistically addresses this need for a village based economy. Heck this was a norm hundred years ago why can’t we bring that in now ?

Of course if we bring in Govt for this they will make a mess of it and it should be driven by a for profit entrepreneur