Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 5070754816 ---> Tejas features an Automatic Pilot (Initiated) Built-In Test (PBIT) with a slight push of a button which initiates a sequence of tests to check onboard systems are working properly or not. The whole process takes about a minute after which a green GO signal is flashed.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Drag & Drop for larger size....

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 7066397697 ---> DO YOU KNOW: Tejas was put through some 7 Lakh (0.7 Million) tests by Indian Air Force before granting it a quality certification. Almost 50-60% of the development period of Tejas was spent in these tests which marks the unique safety feature of Tejas.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I love this tweet!! Perhaps I should put it on page 1 of this dhaaga!!!

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1119622781098790913 ---> Anyone who thinks the HAL Tejas is obsolete is quite obsolete himself.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 5070754816 ---> Tejas features an Automatic Pilot (Initiated) Built-In Test (PBIT) with a slight push of a button which initiates a sequence of tests to check onboard systems are working properly or not. The whole process takes about a minute after which a green GO signal is flashed.
Is the photographer using special effects in this photo? Usually Tejas is always very MATT FINISH, but here its shining glossy.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

There is no news on that IIRC till date.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Im still holding out for uttam in Mk1A, anyway they don't seem to be in a hurry to order it. They have 3+ years to get it ready for production, else wait for another 8 years to use it in Mk2.
sahay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sahay »

Manish_Sharma wrote:Is the photographer using special effects in this photo? Usually Tejas is always very MATT FINISH, but here its shining glossy.
Image is oversaturated. Some other examples are here.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

83 pieces of 2052 have already been ordered. For it tam to work on a frontline aircraft you also need few more things, a mature bvr missile to be guided (and thus integrated to it), ability to slave even wvr missile ( not guide) and a ew system that works with it. To get all we are at least 5-8 years away. Most prudent is to get 2052, derby I and whole suite of ew gear. We cross this hurdle in lca Mk 2
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Uttam will likely replace ELTA2032 on the MK1 in future.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Do we have someone on BRF who has access to Janes old articles..? I wanted to get copies of some articles on LCA from early 1990s. I don't see the articles from Google at all. I have access to commercial subscription which allows me to search but not see the articles.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Malaysia More Inclined Towards Indian HAL Tejas Over Pakistani JF-17 Thunder – Report By EurAsian Times -May 29, 2019

https://eurasiantimes.com/malaysia-more ... r-reports/
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Manish_Sharma wrote:Is the photographer using special effects in this photo? Usually Tejas is always very MATT FINISH, but here its shining glossy.
There is a lot of going in there and yes special capture and special effects are being used to enhance the shimmering of the sunlight / light of the metallic body. The a/c is not that glossy actually.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ashishvikas wrote:Malaysia More Inclined Towards Indian HAL Tejas Over Pakistani JF-17 Thunder – Report By EurAsian Times -May 29, 2019

for that to happen Uttam has to be fast-tracked. I don't the RMAF accepting an israeli radar.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Interesting snippet I noticed from ADA annual report, cost of 8 aircraft in FSED-2 is mentioned as 1048 Cr INR.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

ADA Annual Report? Which year?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

2015-16. See pg 47 at the top.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Ok so an older annual report. Was hoping that a newer annual report would be made public.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

I was thinking of filing an RTI for latest AR. But unfortunately ADA is a Society and it doesn't come under MoD. So no way of filing online RTI thru the RTI portal, at least I didn't see ADA in the list.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Rahul M wrote:
ashishvikas wrote:Malaysia More Inclined Towards Indian HAL Tejas Over Pakistani JF-17 Thunder – Report By EurAsian Times -May 29, 2019

for that to happen Uttam has to be fast-tracked. I don't the RMAF accepting an israeli radar.
They can always integrate a western one no? Fantastic news. Almost too good to believe. I hope I don't get let down. This is driving my hopes almost too high. Sh!t, if they pick the Blunder now I would jump off a bridge. lol
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

chola wrote:
Rahul M wrote: for that to happen Uttam has to be fast-tracked. I don't the RMAF accepting an israeli radar.
They can always integrate a western one no? Fantastic news. Almost too good to believe. I hope I don't get let down. This is driving my hopes almost too high. Sh!t, if they pick the Blunder now I would jump off a bridge. lol
I am sure HAL would happily do that, but the cost of integration with new radar and entire weapons suite integration with that Radar, would have to be amortized over the small order size, increasing the cost significantly. Not to mention timelines stretch. If the customer is OK with this then no problem.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

JayS wrote:
chola wrote:
I am sure HAL would happily do that, but the cost of integration with new radar and entire weapons suite integration with that Radar, would have to be amortized over the small order size, increasing the cost significantly. Not to mention timelines stretch. If the customer is OK with this then no problem.
The French had developed a AESA radar for Tejas, so an alternative is already available

Thales Radar Offered For HAL Tejas Mk-1A Combat Aircraft
The firm recently completed its initial flight test. “It is therefore ready and able to adapt to the tight schedule imposed by the Mk1A LCA,” the company release says.

The tests conducted during summer 2017 at the Cazaux air base in France, on a test bench aircraft, focused on metrological analyses of the radar performance. These test flights proved that the radar is fully operational and perfectly corresponds to the specific requirements of HAL for its combat and air superiority missions.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Kakarat wrote:
JayS wrote:
The French had developed a AESA radar for Tejas, so an alternative is already available

The firm recently completed its initial flight test. “It is therefore ready and able to adapt to the tight schedule imposed by the Mk1A LCA,” the company release says.

The tests conducted during summer 2017 at the Cazaux air base in France, on a test bench aircraft, focused on metrological analyses of the radar performance. These test flights proved that the radar is fully operational and perfectly corresponds to the specific requirements of HAL for its combat and air superiority missions.
I know, and having an alternative is not same as been integrated. Easily 3-4yrs worth work.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

JayS wrote:
Kakarat wrote:

I know, and having an alternative is not same as been integrated. Easily 3-4yrs worth work.
Yes I am aware, this if selected can be integrated and tested by the time of delivery by starting work by early stages of trials by RMAF. It is not like Tejas is already selected and delivery to start soon
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Perhaps, but lets not forget the cost implications too. Malaysian order is small.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Normally it the customer country that bears the cost of customisation like India in the case of Rafale
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

I would advise people to take this Malaysian contest a little lightly for now. this Malaysian order is some way off from going to the next stage, given that their govt. has not even "approved" the Light Fighter program, far from allocating any budget to it. There is NO money to buy new Light Fighters for the RMAF, not at least for the next 2 years. That may work out well for HAL, giving it time to have the Mk1A prototypes rolled out in time- OR if the RMAF's stated intent is to go with twin seaters then maybe the LCA SPORT trainer.

But it seems to me that the FA-50 or TA-50 will be the real front-runner given its somewhat lower cost and its export success.

From AW&ST
KUALA LUMPUR—A funding shortage has forced Malaysia to buy only one long-range air defense radar instead of the three sought by its air force.

The budget squeeze also means procurement of maritime patrollers, light attack aircraft and long-range drones will be delayed for at least two years. Funding for new fighters is not expected even next decade, Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) chief Gen. Affendi Buang said.
(He's referring to the heavier fighters that RMAF wanted earlier, not the Light Fighters)

The government has said Malaysia’s economic challenges mean military spending must remain a low priority. It also suggests that purchases should be made by barter.

The RMAF issued requests for information early this year for air-defense radars, maritime patrol aircraft, medium-altitude long-endurance drones and light combat aircraft (LCA). It wanted to buy three radars, four maritime patrollers, four surveillance drones and, initially, up to 12 LCAs.

However, only the purchase of a single air-defense radar has been approved, Affendi said in response to written questions from Aerospace DAILY. He did not say when the contract will be signed.

Procurement of maritime patrollers and drones also was approved but no money has been allocated, Affendi said, adding that funding probably will not be made available before the new five-year procurement cycle begins in 2021.

The service is pushing for the approval for the LCA program, he added. Funding for 12 aircraft could be made available in the next procurement cycle, with another 24 to be bought later.

LCAs are sought to replace aircraft in two categories: 13 BAE Systems Hawk Mk. 208 single-seat LCAs; and four Hawk Mk. 108 and seven Leonardo MB-339CM twin-seat trainers.

With the RMAF prioritizing the LCA, Affendi said it would defer an upgrade of the Hawk fleet that has been planned since 2013. If funds are approved for the LCA, the Hawks will be retired gradually as the new jets come into service.

Another RMAF official told Aerospace DAILY the chosen LCA type likely will be a twin-seater, such as the Korea Aerospace Industries T-50, Yakovlev Yak-130 or Leonardo M-346. Any of those three could be armed, making them comparable to such single-seat contenders as the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. Tejas and the JF-17 from Avic Chengdu and the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex.

As for the RMAF’s long-standing hope to buy multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA), Affendi said that was likely to be deferred past 2030.

Malaysia started the search for MRCAs in 2007 to replace F-5E Tigers and Mikoyan MiG-29s, but a shortage of funds prevented the purchase, even though the program got as far as shortlisting the Dassault Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon in 2013.

The RMAF’s main fighter fleet comprises 18 Sukhoi Su-18MKM and eight BoeingF/A-18D Hornets.

Affendi said upgrades for RMAF C-130 Hercules airlifters and Sea King helicopters are being finalized, with contracts expected to be signed by year end.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Kartik wrote:I would advise people to take this Malaysian contest a little lightly for now. this Malaysian order is some way off from going to the next stage, given that their govt. has not even "approved" the Light Fighter program, far from allocating any budget to it. There is NO money to buy new Light Fighters for the RMAF, not at least for the next 2 years. That may work out well for HAL, giving it time to have the Mk1A prototypes rolled out in time- OR if the RMAF's stated intent is to go with twin seaters then maybe the LCA SPORT trainer.

But it seems to me that the FA-50 or TA-50 will be the real front-runner given its somewhat lower cost and its export success.

From AW&ST

[/quote]

also the indian public might need to drink a lot of palm oil :lol:
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Kartik wrote:
I would advise people to take this Malaysian contest a little lightly for now.
The RMAF issued requests for information early this year for air-defense radars, maritime patrol aircraft, medium-altitude long-endurance drones and light combat aircraft (LCA). It wanted to buy three radars, four maritime patrollers, four surveillance drones and, initially, up to 12 LCAs.
Yes Kartik, but the article you posted mention LCAs a hundred times and have me thinking that they have all but decided on the LCA. How can we not be excited? I'm willing to drink a gallon of palm oil if it helps.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Chola, I wish the HAL team / the Tejas team the very best but at this moment.
I stand with Kartik.
Arrest that huge retirement coming from the MiG-21s by concentrating with the local market.
We must we must sanction another line for the Manufacturing of the Tejas Mk1A
sarang
BRFite

Post by sarang »

I think they are talking about LCAs and not HAL LCAs.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Yes Kartik, but the article you posted mention LCAs a hundred times and have me thinking that they have all but decided on the LCA. How can we not be excited? I'm willing to drink a gallon of palm oil if it helps.
They’re calling the contest for a LCA class or Light Combat Aircraft, which doesn’t refer to the Tejas but to a class. Like the MRCA.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Kartik wrote:

They’re calling the contest for a LCA class or Light Combat Aircraft, which doesn’t refer to the Tejas but to a class. Like the MRCA.
Guess that means a single engine fighter ?!! So Gripen, F21? .. anyone can make sense of this ?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
Read this bit posted earlier by Kartik.
The service is pushing for the approval for the LCA program, he added. Funding for 12 aircraft could be made available in the next procurement cycle, with another 24 to be bought later.

LCAs are sought to replace aircraft in two categories: 13 BAE Systems Hawk Mk. 208 single-seat LCAs; and four Hawk Mk. 108 and seven Leonardo MB-339CM twin-seat trainers.
Trainer/LCA like Yak-130, T-50 and M-346 will be the leading contenders given the RMAF replacement requirements.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

It's been almost 2-3 months since there's been any delivery of tejas..whats' happening on that front..or did i miss deliveries during balakot and election noise
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

nam wrote:
esommuk wrote:As aerial security threat perception and threshold changes due to fast changing geopolitical situation on both the borders, there will be increasing demand for more single engine fighters in huge nunbers just to enable optimal deterrence and defence capability of the Indian airspace. If HAL's production rate continues to deliver linearly as projected there is no stopping of foreign fighters coming to IAFs inventory ... maybe locally manufactured by private entities.
HAL cannot increase production numbers with orders like 16 IOC, 16 FOC.

There will no deliveries between April and October, because.. well there is nothing to deliver.

ok there's a long waiting time.hopefully some will be delivered around durga pujo/dashmi to be worshipped..
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Kartik wrote:

Rumor that India have sweatened the deal with financing plus barter .
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Prem wrote:Rumor that India have sweatened the deal with financing plus barter .
What's the story on the engine and any of the imported avionics/EW? Can we re-export?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

yensoy wrote:
Prem wrote:Rumor that India have sweatened the deal with financing plus barter .
What's the story on the engine and any of the imported avionics/EW? Can we re-export?
Good question. Has HAL applied for re-export license for the foreign origin components, particularly US origin ones..?? Any info available on this one..?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

And in LCA Tejas we only have to apply for reexport license from USA Russia for R73 etcand ofcourse Israel. Totally acceptable to a Muslim country like Malaysia. I hope some LCA order are soon entered into.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Actually Israel will be the least of the problems - the fact that we will be the system integrator will allow them to export freely, and Malaysia will be mollified that they don't directly have to deal with Israel. Russia won't care as much, else the R73 will be swapped out for something else.
It is the US which is the big question mark here.