Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vsunder
BRFite

Re: Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

Post by vsunder »

In other news, the construction of the strategic railway line connecting Rishikesh to Karnaprayag(beyond Rudraprayag on the Rudraprayag-Chamoli-Joshimath road) has started with the start of tunneling activity of the longest tunnel on this railway. It currently takes about 6-7 hours by road and more in rainy season due to frequent landslides to travel from Rishikesh to Karnaprayag. The bridges are not capable of heavy loads and BRO that maintains them universally reviled by people here. In 2015 and in 2017 the two recent times I was up there not one person had anything kind to say about BRO. BRO maintains the roads right to Mana(last village in India with the famous "Hindustan ka antim dukaan" at Bhim ka pul where Bhima built the bridge so that his brothers and Draupadi could cross over to Swargarohini peak, Satopant Glacier and then heaven with the black dog, but me suggest also go to Mana pass, or hike Mana pass to Valley of flowers, ooooh that was so cool as the young ones say nowadays :rotfl: if something happened to me best place to pop off, and the glaciers at that height and on to Hemkund sahib just gorgeous, SHQ and I are still mountain goats) and of course beyond to the border with Tibet. The tunnel will be built between Devaprayag and Lachmoli. For those who have not been there, Devaprayag is where the Ganga actually starts, it is where Bhagirathi flowing from Gangotri---> Uttarkashi meets the Alakananda that flows Badrinath---> Karnaprayag---> Rudraprayag--> Srinagar. At Rudraprayag the Alakananda joins the slower flowing Mandakini that starts from Kedarnath at the glacier behind the temple. You can even straddle the Mandakini as she flows out of the glacier at Kedarnath. Alakananda is really swift flowing and you have to hang on to chains at the Badrinath temple if you want to take a dip and only the strong of will can do it. But do it and also take dips in the Gangotri glacier you can even test if your heart stops. :rotfl:

Here are pics of the tunnel work:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7aIGqZUEAA6B3Q.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4xBz84XsAQBorh.jpg

https://www.hindustantimes.com/dehradun ... y3aAN.html

PS: My best memory is of Navratri day Oct 2015 having just hiked down from Kedarnath, with the peculiar buzz as if being in a plane whole day and standing at the Rudraprayag temple, where Mandakini joins the Alakananda two swift flowing rivers. Rudraprayag is where Shiva as Rudra gave Narada the science of music and also the Rudra veena(an instrument where fewer and fewer people are around proficient in) on the Narada rock next to the temple. The rock cracked in two after the floods and half of it vanished, people do not maintain sanctity anymore, found cigarette butts, etc on the rock still, all these honeymoon types come there and do weekend expeditions and hiking, biking types forgetting it is a place of contemplation too with a history. There is some legend of Monsieur Ravana using his entrails as strings to play the Rudra veena to please Shiva. Anyhow catgut was used in violin strings so possible that Senor R. did it, who knows?
But anyhow that is why if you hike Mana Pass etc you evade hiking, biking weekend warriors from Delhi, Jhumri Tilaiya and so on. There nobody bothers you and the snow leopard is the only one watching you.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

Karthik S wrote: Sir, any updates on Chennai Bangalore HSR project? Germans submitted feasibility study to IR in Nov last year, nothing much after that.
I have heard nothing. The best you can hope for is the third rake of Train 18 will run on the Chennai-Bangalore route. The second rake of Train 18 has headed to Delhi to be the backup rake and provide maintenance downtime for the existing rake.

Sadly now the truth has also come out that was so obvious that the DFCC projects are all heavily delayed and now completion put back to Dec 2021. This was evident to anyone who even looked at Google Earth and seen that it was impossible for a March 2020 completion that Goyal was crowing about. LA is not complete in MH and even in UP, leave alone large tracts in WB. Dec 2021 is just the part outside WB. If you include WB who knows a new Govt. in WB will have to come and help in land acquisition. Major bridges across Narmada, Tapi and Sabarmati show poor progress and there is Fadnavis not helping with LA. In UP the Rail over rail bridge at Etawah between Kanpur and Delhi is not ready and this is troublesome. This was assured by Goyal in his presser 2 months before the election to be done by April 2019.

It is also hilarious to see idiot reporters ask idiot questions and get completely conned by IR officials and assorted mantrijis like Piyush Goyal, he is a smooth operator. Here is the latest. A few days ago a 66km section of the Khurja-Bhadan section of the EDFC was charged by a TSS(traction sub-station) being turned on near Tundla Jn. So this is a 66km section in a 190km section that has been charged. Mind you when with great fanfare the Khurja-Bhadan section was opened, it was fake, the OHE was not ready and loop lines at stations not complete. Watch Goyal lie through his teeth in a presser with Lohani Railway board chair before elections. Then see videos of incomplete loop lines, no OHE equipment installed etc.

OK fine, but no effing reporter asked that then in Dec 2018, because IR was under election gimmick. But now they can ask bbbuut sirjee, how could you run electric locos in an island section like that of 66km in a 190 km section? Because the reporters are reporting that now electric locos will operate on the Khurja-Bhadan section. Anyhow for your reading entertainment,

http://www.uniindia.com/dfccil-s-ok-to- ... 14929.html

https://www.financialexpress.com/infras ... n/1594554/

All that ullu banoing has caught up, the new deadlines are Palanpur-Madar Dec 2019, Palanpur-JNPT Dec 2021 on WDFC, Kanpur-Mughalsarai Dec 2021, Mughalsarai-Son Nagar Dec 2021, Nitishua not cooperating. This 120km was the first started a long long time ago and the last to be finished, what the heck is going on.
Last edited by vsunder on 31 May 2019 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vsunder wrote:In 2015 and in 2017 the two recent times I was up there not one person had anything kind to say about BRO.
Saar, is it possible for you to elaborate on why they are not happy with the BRO
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

BRO is viewed as a corrupt organization which does shoddy work. Look I am just reporting what people told me. These are local Uttarkhandis who drive taxis and make tea and serve simple meals along the main road Joshimath-Rishikesh. When you are with a guide and your life sometimes depends on him and the porter at altitude for days you talk and talk and I just listen. Their complaint is that they do not fix things for good, just patchwork and the problem will repeat. They will show you a spot and tell you this is a bad spot, mud comes down here every monsoon and last season, see that big rock there, that rolled down and BRO did this small thing and never fixed the problem.

I had one particularly scary experience. At Harsil near Gangotri(they bring down the image of Ganga mayya from Gangotri to Harsil for the winter), (also by Gangotri I mean where the road ends, you have to hike quite bit from Gangotri to Gaumukh and need a permit to do the hike so beware, dont just land up with gear and say I will now start hiking, there is a board that warns you, you need a permit, though I bet sadhu babas dont ever get asked for one, but some petty official will harrass you seeing you are not a sadhu baba). OK back to the other story. A tanker and a truck got stuck on the narrow mountain road with traffic blocked. Each guy was trying to reverse with a hundred people giving contradictory advice, typical Indian chaos. Me watching this with a bemused expression. Fine, but when the two were moving sparks were flying from the tanker rubbing against the guard rails with a steep drop to eternity to the Bhagirathi flowing in the gorge. I expected the tanker to explode in a gigantic fireball and make sheesh kebab of us all. Everybody was totally nonchalant. Then somebody broke the guard rail and the tanker got enough room to manouever out of the way from the truck and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. I remember that before this event we had stopped and bought apples from a road side vendor, sweetest ones I have eaten in a long time. An Italian cyclist came by, had been cycling from HP, and knew very good Hindi and he also bought some. Harsil area has some nice apple orchards.

PS: It is from Harsil you get the first view of your first of the Gangotri group of peaks, Sudarshan, the more striking ones appear as soon as you walk towards Gaumukh. Here is Sudarshan:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159538310@N03/38216243001

There is the story of a British man, came to these parts and set himself up as a Raja, married locally and had many children. He abandoned one of his wives and got cursed and the ghost of wife and the Raja is till seen. Apparently ruins of the palace are still there. Oh all old wives tales, young people like disco dancing, only porters will tell you this story at night by the fire of Pahari Wilson to old guys that listen to them patiently:

https://raja-of-harsil.com/
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

New station redevelopment at Bengaluru.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... s?from=mdr
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

VSunder Saar
My relative working in Goyals adda does not have much good words to say about him and your post on the reality of some of the advertised progress is not surprising based on what I heard from her. Before anybody question her political affiliations, she is as Sanghi as it can get.

Projects governed in Pragati platform, which are monitored by the PMO at least monthly move well. Rest is so so only. The corrupt and arrogant continue to rule the roost and these guys don't listen to anybdody

In the meantime
https://swarajyamag.com/insta/train-18- ... -documents
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

^^^ 1. DFFCIL have ceased updating trimonthly progress and have now become silent for close to a year, no updates.

2. Suddenly in Dec 2018 they brought out what they called Volume 1 of a journal where in the opening pages (in fact page 2) they gave timelines where the DFC, both Eastern and Western arms except the WB section was to be finished by March 2020.

3. Now within 5 months of publication of this "journal", they meaning DFCC have tweeted completion dates and time lines that project completion in Dec 2021. I mean within 5-6 months how can completion go back by 2 years. Why wait for the election to be over to make this announcement?

4. On sections claimed to be completed in Dec 2018, one has videos from Jan 2019, and March 2019, showing incomplete loop lines, OHE work pending, no wiring for sure but also missing poles.

5. Sections where completion dates were announced within a month in the Goyal presser now are tweeted by DFC themselves to be completed in 1.5 years. This is total nonsense.

6. Google Earth shows work is way behind schedule on major bridges.

If people are gaga with this Goyal, good luck to you. He seems to me quite unprofessional with no control on his ministry.

Since I have made these claims based on official announcements from the ministry, here are the links:

The journal I refer to, pl. take a look at page 2 where timelines are announced all by March 2020 for project completion(note Journal comes out Dec 2018):

http://www.iricen.gov.in/iricen/journal ... EC2018.pdf

Note the tweets a few days ago after the elections pushing completion now to Dec 2021, if that is the delay how come it was not known 5 months ago? This is a significant delay in the project from March 2020 to Dec 2021:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D79UuTlUcAATsj-.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D79DB55UIAA_sxb.jpg

Notice the first two items in the journal in Dec 2018, listing two sections as completed 194 km Khurja-Bhadan on EDFC and Ateli-Madar on WDFC as completed. Now the tweets AFTER the election just say trial run so the completed sections were not completed after all and the public was misled prior to the election. I am using official documents only.

Now the videos, one near Daud Khan (Aligarh) (video posted Jan 24, 2019) on the so-called completed section of EDFC, Khurja-Bhadan, note incomplete loop lines and OHE and another video near Khurja ( video posted March 2019) on EDFC same story, all videos in Jan 2019 and March 2019, well after the Dec 2018 publication date of the DFCCIL journal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCBfpPIIGs

This video posted in March 2019, shows even the OHE poles all skewed and not even fixed leave alone wiring, yet Khurja-Bhadan is listed as complete in Dec 2018 in the journal ^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaz5XbL0Z54
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Thats bad. Either Goyel is just trying to please his boss or the babus are taking him for a ride.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Chai wala info is that Goyal is not hands on and more marketing focused and does not listen to good advise. Perhaps being from Private sector does not trust Babus even if they are good. So people have learnt to play along. Similar feedback on Suresh Prabhu as well. Difference with Modi generally or Nitish during his stint in Railways is that they identify competent and trust worthy Babu(s) and take them into confidence in managing operation. Lots of juicy stuff on Jaffer sherief and antics of Lalu and Mamta
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

I heard similar stories from grapevine about Goyel as well; the reason why he has not been elevated to finmin level despite his overall above average performance.

He is a task master and no-nonsense kind of guy who gets initial result but general lack of trust and inability to differentiate between good and bad apples means problem later for a hands off approach.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

DFCCIL

Verified account

@dfccil_india
Following Following @dfccil_india
More
Civil, Electrical and S&T work in WDFCs #FreightArteryofIR Rewari-Madar section proceeding at a fast pace. Contact-catenary wiring in 81km carried out on April 19 with 32 track km done continuously in a day. @RailMinIndia @PiyushGoyalOffc
DFCCIL

Verified account

@dfccil_india
5m5 minutes ago
More
WDFCs Rewari-Madar section #Infra4India racing towards completion. 99.5% track laying, 95% cable-laying & 59% contact-catenary wire laying work of Rewari- Madar completed. Pic- Railway Fly Over bw Pachar Malikpur & Phulera on Rewari- Madar section @RailMinIndia @PiyushGoyalOffc
DFCCIL

Verified account

@dfccil_india
4m4 minutes ago
More
Civil Work in #FreightArteryofIR EDFC's Bhaupur- Mughalsarai section in full swing. 153 km blanketing, 17 major & 267 minor bridges completed. Work of 40 major & 118 minor bridges going on at a fast pace. Pic: Yamuna bridge at Prayagraj (Allahabad) @RailMinIndia @PiyushGoyalOffc
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sad news about Goyal, what a disappointment, had high hopes for him. Lets see.
How is the buzz on Mme Sitharaman?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Do we have to put Gadkari in charge to get the Railways going?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Piyush Goyal is on Twitter . Why not give him and the MOS a chance to respond directly ? Present the questions respectfully , ask for more clarity . It does not benefit this forum to be a silo sitting around in judgment of the world without engaging it actively by means now available quite easily .
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

He is also on quora detailing various projects.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

i read cheen was planning or starting on a very complex railway line directly from yunnan across never ending rugged terrain to connect to Lhasa on a route north and east of arunachal. it would entail unheard of scale in bridges and tunnels.

they are also building a very strategic line from chengdu toward lhasa across equally rugged terrain.

good details here. Xi ji is personally pushing it to better integrate tibet into the coastal provinces
http://www.tibetanreview.net/president- ... t-railway/
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the spate of news media pieces and ads extolling the indian railways over the past year left a suspicious taste in my mouth.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

eastern tibet and that region of china bears the headwaters of the salween and irrawaddy river systems which flow through all of the landmass further south. but is very rugged terrain and even cities like chongqing are built in narrow valleys and tall structures with lack of adequate areas for roads.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/farmers-l ... tion-japan
Farmers Led By CPM Try To Derail Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet Train Project; Plan To Petition Japan
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 640925.cms
Officials told TOI they were holding talks with Southern Railway to bring 25 million litres per day (MLD) to the city, which is less than 5% of what Metrowater supplies now. All the four reservoirs that used to supply drinking water to the city have dried up. :shock:

"The plan is to transport treated water from Jolarpet in Vellore to Villivakkam in Chennai. It is estimated to cost Rs 154.3 crore towards hiring charges for the wagons and pumping, treatment and distribution,” said an official. Fifty wagons will be employed, each carrying 50,000 litres per trip (2.5 million litres). Officials hope to arrange 10 trips a day. At present, Metrowater claims to supply 525MLD, which is 300MLD less than last summer’s supply. It has decided to further reduce the supply to 500mld from the third week of June to maintain the quantum till November if the situation does not improve after the southwest monsoon sets in. “The state government is all set to launch its tertiary treatment reverse osmosis plant at Koyambedu in July and supply 20MLD to industries. The ongoing drinking water supply of 20MLD to industries will then be diverted to domestic supply,” the official said. Chennai has been surviving on two desalination plants, one each at Nemmeli and Minjur, besides water from Veeranam tank in Cuddalore, some quarries in the suburbs and additional sources like agricultural wells, groundwater sources in the suburbs and quarries lend a helping hand now.
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

https://urbantransportnews.com/indias-f ... quisition/
Farmers from Maharashtra are all set to oppose Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s one of biggest dream project. The State Government is planning to use an obscure section of the land acquisition act to forcibly takeover land in the tribal district of Palghar for the bullet train project.
The Centre may invoke the section 96 of The Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation, Resettlement Act, 2013, to compulsory take over the remaining land for the project stuck after locals objected to price-based ‘private negotiation’ acquisition proceeding for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Corridor
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha wrote:Image
Disclaimer: Map has en error showing Arunachal Pradesh in China
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/indian-ra ... at-express
The complaint which kicked off the proceedings was filed by an Indian Army colonel. Another passenger who was served stale food was Fatehpur MP and Union minister Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Picklu wrote:I heard similar stories from grapevine about Goyel as well; the reason why he has not been elevated to finmin level despite his overall above average performance.

He is a task master and no-nonsense kind of guy who gets initial result but general lack of trust and inability to differentiate between good and bad apples means problem later for a hands off approach.
Its not a merely an issue of just good and bad apples, it means that lobbies have infiltrated the system as before and are spreading their wings.

something is already brewing about some massive railway contracts that have allegedly been given to a black listed firm and this is the same firm that some erstwhile KAR power minister has also given huge orders to.

lightning cannot strike twice in the same place.

lobbies just cannot infiltrate unless there is a conducive atmosphere that facilitates their existence.

the railways have always been a huge milch cow for deeply entrenched lobbies who have learned to spread the largesse throughout the ecosystem.

they must be decisively rooted out once again.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Eastern DFC to be partially opened between Bhaupur and Khurja by Nov

Chetak Saar
This is giving me bad vibes as you are the second person I heard saying the same about conducive atmosphere.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Indian Railways bets on huge modernisation project! New signalling system to bring network to world-standards
Aiming to provide safer and faster train travel to its passengers, Indian Railways has taken the big step towards signalling upgradation. The national transporter has signed an MoU with RailTel Enterprises Limited (REL) for the work of modernization of signalling system. The REL is an entirely owned subsidiary firm of RailTel Corporation of India Limited. The modernization of signalling system will include Automatic Train Protection System along with Long Term Evolution (LTE) based Mobile Train Radio Communication System (MTRC) together with the provision of Electronic Interlocking (indoor) wherever required. The project will be implemented on four sections across the Indian Railways’ network.

According to a press release issued by RailTel, the project of Modern Train control system will be implemented on 165 rail kilometres on South Central Railway’s Renigunta–Yerraguntla section, 145 rail kilometres on East Coast Railway’s Vizianagaram–Palasa section, 155 rail kilometres on North Central Railway’s Jhansi– Bina section and 175 rail kilometres on Central Railway’s Nagpur–Badnera section. All these sections are some of the busiest routes on Indian Railways’ network with heavy traffic.

The pilot project, which is expected to cost around Rs 1,609 crores, is likely to be completed in 2 years. According to RailTel, the Modern Train Control system based on LTE based MTRC is Indian Railways’ one of the most ambitious modernization projects, which envisages upgradation of the signalling system at par with the world standards. After the successful implementation of this project, the national transporter plans to implement the same on other crucial high-density routes of its network.

The release stated that the Automatic Train Protection System and LTE based MRTC will improve safety. Also, it will help to reduce congestion in these rail networks, increase line capacity as well as improve punctuality. Additionally, it will also help to increase the average speed of trains.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Very incremental small scale goals. Token pilots.

We need large scale ewns and gq rollouts to help the average speed of trains on the long routes

Unlike dfc no excuses here of heavy construction required. Its all poles and train based

Mms style apologetic credible minimum deterrence while cheen piles on a dense hsr grid
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Question is, who is providing this tech? Last I heard, Goyal wanted to establish ETCS-L2 throughout the n/w, but the PMO shot down the idea due to prohibitive costs, and (hopefully) due to imported tech (Thales/Siemens were the vendor, iirc).
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

One humble pooch is, why cannot ISRO, DRDO etc. elite govt and private enterprise come forward to build local solutions like IRNSS based or IR or laser based tracking and signalling mechanism of our needs?
mridulmm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mridulmm »

Indian Railways: Railways mulls inviting private firms to run trains on some routes
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 849236.cms

To begin with, the railways will experiment by offering two trains to its tourism and ticketing arm, IRCTC, to operate. The ticketing and on board services will be provided by IRCTC and the railways will receive a lump sum amount in return. These trains will be run on routes which have "low congestion and connect important tourist spots", which will be identified by the national transporter. These will run on the routes like Golden Quadrilateral and connecting major cities. The custody of rakes will be transferred to IRCTC, which will pay annual lease charges to the railways financing arm, IRFC.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ritesh wrote:One humble pooch is, why cannot ISRO, DRDO etc. elite govt and private enterprise come forward to build local solutions like IRNSS based or IR or laser based tracking and signalling mechanism of our needs?
because I dont think accuracy of civilian type IRNSS/GPS/Galileo/Beidou is adequate to differentiate trains between adjacent tracks.
a mistake is a head on collision. even military grade signal is dicey despite 10 feet accuracy.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ETCS uses devices placed between the tracks (could be an issue here with thievery and rains), dedicated GSM network along the tracks and equipment in cab.

A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ritesh wrote:One humble pooch is, why cannot ISRO, DRDO etc. elite govt and private enterprise come forward to build local solutions like IRNSS based or IR or laser based tracking and signalling mechanism of our needs?
Same reason sat based systems aren’t used to separate cars on the road . Global positioning systems are great for terrestrial positioning , but aren’t reliable enough to be applied to precise horizontal separation conditions.

ATCS systems are already a solved problem and do not need reinventing the wheel . Better to just adapt existing standards to Indian conditions . There are multiple grades of each standard supporting various rates of traffic, with the train signaling automatically adapting to whatever system it is working with the thru that section of track .
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

Thanks guys for the reasioning and explaination.
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

https://www.businesstoday.in/current/po ... 57485.html
In railways' 100-day plan: Reducing Delhi-Howrah, Delhi-Mumbai travel time by 5 hours
The Indian Railways has prepared 11 proposals under its 100-day plan, with instructions to initiate immediate action to implement them by August 31.
The railways plans to bring down by five hours the travel time between the busy Delhi-Howrah and Delhi-Mumbai routes with an investment of about Rs 14,000 crore in infrastructure over the next four years.

This is one of the 11 proposals prepared by the railways in its 100-day plan, with instructions to initiate immediate action to implement them by August 31.

The two routes account for 30 per cent of passenger and 20 per cent of freight traffic.

Presently, the fastest train on the Delhi-Howrah route takes 17 hours to complete the journey while on the Delhi-Mumbai route the quickest train takes 15.5 hours. The proposal is to reduce the travel time to 12 hours and 10 hours respectively.

The proposal is being sent to the Cabinet Committee for Economic Affairs for approval.

According to the proposal document, the railways has set a target to ramp up the speed of the trains on these routes from the present 130 kmph to 160 kmph.

The document, a part of the 100 day-plan being prepared by union ministries on the direction of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, lays down the vision for the national transporter for the next three months.

It states that within the next 100 days approval should be obtained for projects to raise to 160 kmph the speed of the New Delhi-Howrah route (1,525 KM) at a cost of Rs 6,684 crore and the New Delhi-Mumbai route (1,483 km) at Rs 6,806 crore.

The project is proposed to be implemented within four years from the date of approval.

The document also lists 10 other targets for the railways which need to be initiated within the next 100 days. One of them is the railways' version of the "give it up" scheme which was introduced by Railway Minister Piyush Goyal for encouraging people to give up their subsidies on train tickets.

Many senior citizens had in fact given up their subsidies on travel tickets.

The railways plans to launch a massive awareness campaign which would run across media platforms and inside running trains to encourage people to give up their subsidy voluntarily.

The 100-day plan also includes railways' earlier proposal of handing over certain routes to private players.

It has been proposed in the document to invite private operators to run two of its trains and also some routes which have low congestion and connect important tourist spots can be offered to them through Request for Proposal (RFP) and a Request for Quote (RFQ) within the next 100 days.

The document has also proposed that within the next 100 days, cabinet approval be obtained for digital corridor for railways with provision of 10 MHz spectrum in 700 MHz frequency band for railways which would enable it to increase trains carrying capacity due to increase speed potential, improve operation during fog and improved security.

Other 100-day proposals include: wi-fi at all 6,485 railway stations including 4,882 balance station in the next 100 days; obtain approval for elimination by 2023 of 2,568 level crossings on golden quadrilateral diagonals with assured 100 per cent funding of Rs 50,000 crore from the government; an advanced signalling system; redevelopment of 50 railways stations in 100 days and restructuring of railway board and technological revamp.
The most important thing is a side note onlee :-?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

TOI reports today that IR has requested 10mhz of spectrum in dedicated manner along railway tracks at the 700Mhz gsm band.

this will likely facilitate the in-cab signaling and various 4G consumer services should they want to provide on running trains with spotty regular cell reception.