Clean India - Places, Options, Initiatives & Results

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.

How many of you had to defecate in open?

Poll ended at 22 Aug 2017 23:00

Never. I never had to defecate in open.
54%
Sometimes (like when visiting village or when guests had to come and no avl. toilets)
34%
Most of the times
No votes
Yuck! I held on tight.
6%
Will you ever do it? (like when visiting village or when guests come and no avl. toilets)
6%

Total votes: 35

tandav
BRFite

Re: Clean India - Places, Options, Initiatives & Results

Post by tandav »

Went to Alibagh region for vacation. Some beach village panchayats and towns were collecting money from all visitors Rs ~40/car. The funds were ostensibly used to create facilities and keep beaches clean. The "paid" beaches were far cleaner than the "free". FWIW

Maharashtra is going to ban plastics packaging from March 18th. Most of the trash on beach is plastic bags, Styrofoam plates and plastic water bottles. It will take a decade to clean up the residual mess from public areas.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

To be read in full:

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/open-defe ... -its-women
...Did she ever dream of a life without this arduous ritual, when she could sleep until she wanted and didn't have to put her life and honour at stake every morning? She didn't. Shabnam had known no other way. The ritual was a part of her existence that she couldn't stop or even tweak. Like menstruation. Which added its own set of miseries every month.

Imagine her surprise last year when she saw toilets at homes for the first time. Those magical structures with walls and door where nobody could invade her privacy, and that too within the safety of her house. That's also when she first discovered soap. She took an instant liking to it. Its use washed away the stink and made her hands "smell like flowers".

It's not like Shabnam's village Marora in Haryana's most backward district Mewat, located some 50 kilometres away from New Delhi, did not have any toilets. But seven years ago, when she shifted out of the village after marriage, most didn't. At least she never used any. Her marriage took her from one toiletless village to another. But over the last year, her visits to her now toilet-equipped maiden home has changed her. She is revolting. She has just told her husband in neigbouring Rajasthan that she wouldn't return until they too get a similar toilet constructed in their house...
And this:
It was always annoying to spot squatters in his field, he says. "I hated beginning my day with the stink they left. I had to always watch out against stepping on shit. All this is thankfully a thing of the past now. Some people still come to fields out of habit. But I can say it has almost stopped. It's reduced to, say, five per cent,” he says.
And this:
Harchanda Kumar, an 80-year-old, recalls how police would catch men squatting in the fields in the past. ...

"But now we have a sakeem," says Harchanda, referring to SBM as a scheme. He is thrilled that his sons and grandsons won't have to bear this humiliation anymore. The police don’t come to catch men in the fields now. They don’t need to.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

SRoy wrote:Garbage burning as a practice has long disappeared, due to strict environmental laws.

The dust we see in cities is actually the dust from exposed soil surface.

BTW, What happens to you NRI/R2I specimen? DNA's of you guys change after few years in US?
Typical condescending NRI / R2I non sense "I suspect it’s mostly ash from burnt garbage".
Not sure where you're from, but garbage burning by people is pretty common in Karnataka - at least Bangalore, Mysore and Tumkur areas. These are places I visit often and you can see garbage burning at various places and times.

Having said that I don't think enough is burnt to be the biggest reason for pollution. Most of the dirt in India is vehicular pollution and dust from top soil erosion due to lack of greenery.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

MP is doing a lot on this front. Plastic packaging is banned, everyone’s using a nonwoven biodegradable, use a couple of times and throw bags. Bhoplal city has issued a mobile app linked to gps that you can use to take a picture of any garbage not picked up. Within 24 hours it gets picked and you get the notification to recheck it if not picked up a case gets escalated to a senior officer who have to personally supervises the case.
Indore municipal is imposing fines on any shop anywhere if they find anykind of garbage in front of their door regardless of who threw it. Garbage pick up riksha/pickup truck comes with a full blown loud speaker singing swach bharat song and Modi ji speeches .
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Folks, my mom was totally cheated by a bunch of m*tanis to trash pick-ups. they promptly picked up, and the service was good... but only to later realize they were dumping it at nearby highway point.

What does this say about comprehensive infrastructure to swacch & recycle/bio-power gen?
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

If plastic packaging is banned, please explain to me how the following reach their consumers:
1. Gutkha
2. Kurkure
3. Lays
4. Bourbons
5. Good day
6. Frooti
7. Shampoo sachets
etc etc

Problem is that we can ban the carry bags, but the little mylar bags continue to be a menace to us. Unless those are also outlawed and replaced with biodegradable packaging, the problem is not solved.

The first step would be to require a "minimal plastic package" which would probably be a tubular or tetrahederal structure to make sure that no more packaging than the bare minimum should be used (and excess air should be eliminated).
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Mumbai: BMC seals Rs 558 crore deal to reclaim Mulund dump yard
The BMC has come up with a Rs 558-crore five-year plan to reclaim the land on which the Mulund dumping ground exists. The plan comprises breaking down the 7,000 million-ton mountain of waste that has accumulated at the dump over the decades by using biomining of solid waste.
This will possibly be the country’s largest such exercise to clear a large dumping ground. If the project goes as per plan, the civic authority will be able to add 60 acres of land to space-starved Mumbai. The purpose of the project is also to safely capture the methane trapped in organic waste at the dump and use it to generate energy.

The BMC has finalised a contractor for the work at the Mulund dump after two failed attempts. But the reclamation process is expected to take five years. The freed-up land is expected to be used primarily for public amenities. “It will help shore up property prices in the surrounding area,” said a civic officer.

The contractor will get the rights to sell the energy and gas that will be generated from the dumping ground’s organic waste. The firm will also be allowed to sell recycled products like brick blocks, which will be made from debris and plastic waste. The bricks can be used for construction or for landfills.

Mumbai generates 7,100 tons of waste a day, which is dumped at three grounds within the city. Most of the garbage goes to Deonar and Kanjurmarg. Mulund still gets a portion of the garbage, though its closure had been decided on years ago.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

cant imagine these things are happening. not expecting to see in mainstreame media.
All DDMs are howling about yeddy swearing in ktk..
-------------------------

http://pib.nic.in/PressReleaseIframePag ... ID=1532566

Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation
CAG and Secy MDWS empty toilet pit near Pune for Swachh Bharat

Mission to launch Twin Pit toilet ad campaign with Akshay Kumar, Bhumi Pednekar

The Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Shri ‎Rajiv Mehrishi, and Secretary, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Shri Parameswaran Iyer emptied a toilet pit from a twin pit toilet in rural Maharashtra early this morning. Senior sanitation officers from States across the country, including Additional Chief Secretaries of Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, followed suit to encourage use of twin pit toilets in rural India, and to de-stigmatize emptying of toilet pits by the household themselves.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/pmreleases.aspx?mincode=73

All PIB publications from Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation
dsreedhar
BRFite

Post by dsreedhar »

One of my friends in US visited home in Patna after 3-4yrs. He was very impressed by the cleanliness, clean water and sanitation. He was happy he didn't fall sick on his trip and recognized n attributed to the cleanliness especially the water.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

I will put impressions of my travel through India later., however this two are must read and follow links:

https://swarajyamag.com/politics/man-be ... e-job-done

And

http://sbm.gov.in/sbmreport/home.aspx

The progress on ODF for residential/rural households has been amazing.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Clean India makes for strong India and hence requires its own R & D. The budget for clean India in my opinion should be same as the agricultural ministry's budget and the same kind of MSPs should be provided for clean India initiatives.

Here is one out come of clean India.,

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 447_1.html
Toilet-Building Frenzy
Toilet coverage has more than doubled since Modi's 'Clean India' mission began

“Sanitation is a basic need that is denied to a majority of the Indian population,” said Rajeev Kher, chief executive officer of SaraPlast Pvt Ltd., a closely-held manufacturer, supplier and cleaner of restrooms, including portable toilets for rent. Kher has also converted aged buses into mobile toilets to provide a “clean and safe toilet experience” for women in a collaboration with municipal authorities in the western city of Pune.

For individual households, Japan’s LIXIL Group has supplied tens of thousands of twin pit toilet systems that costs $10 or less apiece to facilitate the safe management of excreta in the absence of a sewage connection.
Example of research and development:
Mumbai-based Tata Group’s steel division makes Nest-In, a modular toilet that comes with an option for a bio-digester. The company has been focusing on products for end-users, including modular housing and toilets, and in March opened public toilet blocks at rest stops along a national highway.
http://www.nestin.co.in/Modular-Toilet
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.c ... ilisation/
Swachh Bharat is succeeding because it combines toilets and waste treatment with community mobilisation

October 1, 2018, 2:00 AM IST Melinda Gates in TOI Edit Page | Edit Page, India | TOI
A little over three years ago, I spent a day in Jharkhand’s Khunti district. The reason for my trip didn’t have anything to do with sanitation – I was there to talk about self-help groups – but, as often happens when I’m in India, the topic of toilets kept coming up.

Anywhere people live without access to safe sanitation systems, there is a measurable impact on their lives and communities. Waste-borne illnesses contribute to the deaths of millions of children every year and leave millions more with lifelong consequences like stunting. The combined costs of death and dis-ease and lost opportunity due to inadequate sanitation robs India of more than $106 billion annually.

The hamlet I visited had experienced these challenges first-hand. At the time of my trip, the people living there were still practising open defecation. However, a few of the women in the self-help group told me that was about to change. They had just learned about Swachh Bharat and were in the process of applying for their first toilets. Their hamlet was about to become a part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ambitious vision for making India open defecation free by October 2 next year.
In 2014, when Swachh Bharat began, only 42% of Indians had access to proper sanitation. Today, that number has more than doubled. The country has built more than 85 million toilets, and 21 states have been declared open defecation free.

But new toilets are only one part of the sanitation revolution Swachh Bharat is driving. Another crucial component is Swachh Bharat’s focus on building systems to safely and effectively dispose of waste. As part of this broad effort, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh are supporting the construction of faecal sludge treatment plants, a key link in the chain of safe sanitation.
This week, ministers of water and sanitation from around the world are meeting at the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention to discuss these and other technologies – and to learn from India’s example.

For countries currently lacking sanitation infrastructure, Indian innovation holds the promise of billions of dollars and millions of lives saved. For countries still relying on inefficient sewer systems, solutions developed in India have the potential to become the new gold standard.

Another reason for Swachh Bharat’s successes is that the country is combining toilet and waste treatment technologies with community mobilisation. Sanitation initiatives often fail when they focus only on building new infrastructure or on changing human behaviour. India is succeeding because it addresses both. Swachh Bharat has enlisted Bollywood stars, cricket players and everyday ambassadors to amplify the same safe sanitation messages brandished everywhere from public toilets to giant billboards to the currency that passes through their hands. The data proves that Indians are responding, and that Swachh Bharat is truly a people’s movement.

That is also the case for the families I met in Khunti. I’m told that, by 2016, every home in the hamlet had a toilet of its own. While the area doesn’t yet have piped water, both men and women are now in the habit of carrying water to the toilets – even though carrying water was once a chore reserved for women. This break with tradition reflects an increasingly widespread belief that a clean India is everyone’s business, and that toilets make life better not only for women and girls but for all of us.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

I have just returned from my first visit to India in 34 yrs!!
Visited Punjab, UP, UK and Gangotri.
In my families village and surrounding areas in Punjab. No OD, all had toilets.
Cousins informed me that if anyone is seen doing OD in the fields, a picture is taken on a phone and sent to Panchayat and a fine is issued.
Gangotri has three sewage pumping stations. It is pumped to a treatment plant. This was initiated about 3 yrs ago. No longer dumped in the River Bagarathi. Check the area out, no signs of it being dumped in the river or anywhere else.
I did notice quite a few Sanitary/Toilet/plumbing shops.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Haresh wrote:I have just returned from my first visit to India in 34 yrs!!
Visited Punjab, UP, UK and Gangotri.
In my families village and surrounding areas in Punjab. No OD, all had toilets.
Cousins informed me that if anyone is seen doing OD in the fields, a picture is taken on a phone and sent to Panchayat and a fine is issued.
Gangotri has three sewage pumping stations. It is pumped to a treatment plant. This was initiated about 3 yrs ago. No longer dumped in the River Bagarathi. Check the area out, no signs of it being dumped in the river or anywhere else.
I did notice quite a few Sanitary/Toilet/plumbing shops.
Excellent news ...
The culture is changing. That is heartening news
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

However I should add, in the village, I was not sure where the toilet waste went. There was a village pond, some people told me it went there!!!

https://www.downtoearth.org.in/blog/env ... gies-54403
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

This is a major win

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/namami-ga ... -to-a-stop
by Swarajya Staff - Nov 29 2018, 9:30 am,
‘Namami Gange’ Lifts 128-Year Old ‘Curse’ On Holy River: Discharge From Asia’s Largest Sisamau Drain Comes To A Stop
The River Ganga. (pic via Facebook)
In what is being hailed as the biggest victory yet for the ‘Namami Gange’ project to clean up the Ganga, 14 crore litres of sewage which used to be released into the river from the Sisamau drain every day is now being successfully diverted to the Jajmau treatment plant, reports Live Hindustan.

Sewage from the drain, which is reportedly 128 years old, used to be dumped into the river through the Bhairo Ghat. While 8 crore litres of the sewage had been successfully routed earlier, routing the remaining 6 crore litres proved to be an arduous task. However, this has now been achieved by Uttar Pradesh’s Jal Nigam and Namami Gange engineers.

The report states that engineers and their pumping machines were stretched to their limits in trying to control the flow of the sewage due to the velocity of the drain. The entire effort had been made more difficult due to an existing pipeline and a British-era drain obstructing the way.

Cleaning up the Ganga has been among Narendra Modi government’s top-most priorities with the ‘Namami Gange’ project having been launched for this specific purpose. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari had earlier announced that the project will be finished by December 2019.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

How Indore cleaned up its biggest garbage dumping site.

https://www.thebetterindia.com/169584/i ... recycling/
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Must watch.

PM of India washing feet of Safai Karamcharis (Sanitation workers)

And this, India's toilet revolution

disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/worlds-la ... chh-bharat
The National Annual Rural Sanitation Survey (NARSS) 2018-19, conducted by an Independent Verification Agency (IVA) under the World Bank support project to the Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM-G), has found that 96.5% of the households in rural India who have access to a toilet use it.

Key findings of NARSS 2018-19 are as follows

93.1% of households were found to have access to toilets during the survey period (the corresponding figure as per the SBMG MIS in November 2018 was 96%)

96.5% of the people who had access to toilets used them

90.7% of villages which were previously declared and verified as ODF were confirmed to be ODF. The remaining villages also had sanitation coverage of about 93%

95.4% of the villages surveyed found to have minimal litter and minimal stagnant water
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

India's largest rubbish pile is set to dwarf the 239ft Taj Mahal as it becomes a fetid symbol for the world's 'most polluted capital city'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Mahal.html
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Center releases 55,000 crores to states for boosting green cover

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 901408.cms
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Toxic Water, Toxic Crops: India’s Public Health Time Bomb

https://www.circleofblue.org/2018/india ... -time-bomb
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

Good to see initiative getting implemented/executed :

Swacch Iconic Place rankings seem to provide a budget and most importantly results

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Ma ... 378202.ece
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Re: Clean India places, options, initiatives & results

Post by Cain Marko »

Kashi wrote:Does pooping outdoors in wilderness qualify?
If you poop outdoors, dig a hole wherein to poop, and then cover it up. basic backpacking 101 - even cats will do this given a chance. IOWs, cover up your sh*t! :lol:
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Modi tweets about Plogging
Plogging at a beach in Mamallapuram this morning. It lasted for over 30 minutes.

Also handed over my ‘collection’ to Jeyaraj, who is a part of the hotel staff.

Let us ensure our public places are clean and tidy!

Let us also ensure we remain fit and healthy.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This whole thing has become suddenly critical. If there is an attack like COVID-19 that targets Indian genes... :shock:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/strategic_front/sta ... 13345?s=20 ---> Aditya is India's first solar-powered ferry operating in Kerala. It was designed & built by NavAlt Solar & Electric Boats in Kochi.

Speed: 7.5 knots
Power: 20 kW solar, Battery capacity 50 kWh
Propulsion: 2 electric motors 20 kW each
Hull Design: Catamaran
Dimensions: 20 metres X 7 metres

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/sahil11p/status/129 ... 56994?s=20 ---> Amongst the big players like Wirtgen Group, GOMACO Corporation in slip form pavers, AJAX is the only India based manufacturer of these pavers, completely designed and manufactured in Karnataka. Launched in 2019, currently they are being used in Maharashtra in Washim and Solapur.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status ... 77896?s=20 ---> When I visited Andaman and Nicobar Islands in 2018, people complained about poor internet. A 2300 kms long submarine cable inaugurated today changes that! In quick time and challenging geographies, the cable is all set to transform lives. Kudos to those who worked on this!

disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

As part of Clean India or rather the Swaatch Bharat Mission, GOI started the Open Defecation Free campaign.

Where do we stand on that? Here is a comprehensive article published

https://smefutures.com/sanitation-for-a ... it-happen/

And it does bring the reality that several districts which were declared ODF earlier "fell back", that in reality is not open defecation.
Gujarat which was declared ODF in 2017 contained 24 per cent of households that lacked access to toilets. The survey was conducted between July to December 2018. The report highlighted discrepancies in the responses by respondents. Surveyors also checked people’s awareness about government schemes first before asking questions on access to toilets.
I think this is still better than before. Of course still a long way to go.

GOI is not resting either, it has now targetted ODF Plus campaign.
The government is now taking the mission to next level and hence the sanitation drive is termed as ODF Plus. Its aim is to work on waste management and changing attitudes towards usage of toilets in India extensively.
Again above article is long, but very comprehensive.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

yensoy wrote:If plastic packaging is banned, please explain to me how the following reach their consumers:
1. Gutkha
2. Kurkure
3. Lays
4. Bourbons
5. Good day
6. Frooti
7. Shampoo sachets
etc etc

Problem is that we can ban the carry bags, but the little mylar bags continue to be a menace to us. Unless those are also outlawed and replaced with biodegradable packaging, the problem is not solved.

The first step would be to require a "minimal plastic package" which would probably be a tubular or tetrahederal structure to make sure that no more packaging than the bare minimum should be used (and excess air should be eliminated).
None of the above and thousands more such products are necessities, they didn't exist say 50 years ago. Cheaper, healthier, "greener" alternatives have always been available if one can look beyond ubiquitous FMCG advertising brainwash and excessive convenience designed to increase consumption. (Not directed at you yensoiji or anyone, I've been there, done that as well)

While many things we are doing under the "sustainable" umbrella are needed, may other things are dubious or outright bogus trends. I've come to realise that changing one's consumption patterns is the most sustainable gesture one can do for the environment and one's own physical, mental and even financial health.

Examples:
Buying groceries by weight at local Kirana store wrapped in newspaper vs. gleaming packaged goods at the supermarket chain you need to drive across town to, and bring back in plastic bags
Drinking fresh home made/local juice wallah juice vs bottled & packaged drinks
Drinking filtered water from earthen pot with its lovely taste vs Dasani bottles from the fridge
Carrying home water in a bottle vs buying water bottles
Handkerchiefs vs Single use tissues & wipes
Local vegetable vendor vs supermarket veggies
Namkeen made at home or from local shop,
Non plastic disposable plates & cups
Bring food waste to ZERO, Composting kitchen waste if you have a garden
Reduce or eliminate plastics usage as much as you can in daily life
Repair stuff instead of throwing and buying

I live in Europe, a typical family of 4 will fill 1 non recyclable trash bin (vol 120L) and 2 recyclable (paper, plastics, packaging etc) bins ( vil 2x120 = 240L) per week. If they lived in India I'm sure they'd be generating only 1/4th such waste.

I'm trying to reduce the waste we generate by 25% since past 1 year, but its not always easy because so many local shops and services have been replaced by big supermarket chains which sells packaged stuff designed for easy handling through distribution supply chains, for consumer convenience & increase consumption.

1.3 Billion Indians living and consuming like Europeans or Americans will be a total disaster. India thankfully hasn't gotten there yet, and if people are willing to change (or go back to 1 generation earlier) some habits and make a little effort, we can avoid a lot if env impact altogether.

JMT
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

DRDO launches biodegradable packaging products

Read more At:
https://www.aninews.in/news/national/ge ... 716193032/
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

I think most important thing to do is stress on and implement hygiene st. It is appalling. I do not have to give examples.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/afte ... tar-rating
After Becoming India's First Water Plus City, Indore Now Eyeing A Seven-Star Rating

Eyeing the seven-star rating

The IMC is planning to install new sewerage lines as well as upgrade the existing ones in the adjoining rural areas. It also aims to rectify the sewerage lines in Bada Ganpati, Pipalyahana, Chandmari, and Gita Bhavan area to ensure that it works at its full capacity so that no issue of drainage water arises.

If the IMC manages to remedy these issues as well, then Indore, after grabbing the ODF, ODF+ and ODF++, and now Water Plus tag, will definitely bag the seven-star rating, which no Indian city has ever achieved.

Indore's astounding success with regards to cleanliness needs to be celebrated throughout the country as a milestone in the realization of Swachh Bharat.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

I think Nagar palika is not under control local political goons. That is reason. Wish other cities follow indore
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/MoJSDoWRRDGR/status ... 51841?s=20 ---> One of the cleanest rivers in the world. It is in India. River Umngot, 100 Kms from Shillong, in Meghalaya state. It seems as if the boat is in air; water is so clean and transparent. Wish all our rivers were as clean. Hats off to the people of Meghalaya.

Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^Thanks for the above links. Such utilitarian designs is important and seems to be very successful. Indian needs millions of such toilets.

Having said that, the Swacch Bharat Mission has achieved a significant milestone.

https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/109- ... let-access
About 10.9 crore (109 million) individual household latrines (IHHLs) have been constructed in rural India since the launch of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's flagship Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) [SBM(G)] in October 2014 with the main aim to make the rural areas of the country open defecation free (ODF).
The Union Government conducted three rounds of National Annual Rural Sanitation Survey (NARSS) between 2017-18 and 2019-20 through an independent verification agency supported by World Bank to measure the effectiveness of SBM (G). One of the key indicators for the survey was availability of water for toilet usage. As per the results of NARSS 2019-20, 99.6% of the households who had access to toilets, had availability of water, and 95.2% of rural population who had access to a toilet, were using it.
Yes, there is still a gap of 5%, hopefully it will come down to zero (or almost zero in next 5 years).

The urban spaces need more improvement nowadays. Lot more improvements.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Environmental scientists develop a method to turn hazardous acidic industrial wastewater into valuable resources

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 100346.htm