J&K News and Discussion - 2016

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Re: J&K News and Discussion - 2016

Post by hanumadu »

From twitter.
Rishi Bagree
@rishibagree
·
17m
Interesting Time Line #Article370
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

g.sarkar wrote:
abhijitm wrote:X posting
I am bit confused. Is the article already repealed or the resolution is tabled? Does it require 2/3rd votes in both the houses?
Me too. All my life I was told that the removal of article 370 needed an amendment of Constitution. I remember when Mrs. Gandhi abolished the privy purse back in 1971 by amending the constitution. A very cumbersome process and possible only if one party had absolute majority, which she did. Hence, it was not possible to be done. Now, it seems that the article 370 was provisional and did not need all that stuff. I am sure this will be discussed in the news papers shortly.
Gautam
Yeh, all the time we keep hearing only 2/3rd majority will get rid of 370. If that is still true then celebrations are prematured. Let's wait and watch how it unfolds.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

Negotiate with a neighbor over the status of our territory? Especially when the neighbor has proven to be a bad faith negotiator and perennial trouble maker? Surely, you jest.

Shaktimaan wrote:I hate to be the contrarian during this time of apparent jubilation, but I don't see how this bifurcation solves anything .

The basic problem of religious radicalization is not solved. Pakistan is still right next door.

A negotiated settlement with the Pakis as a stakeholder would be a far longer lasting solution than more soldiers and guns. I'm saying this with full awareness as a responsible member of this forum.
Saral
BRFite

Post by Saral »

abhijitm wrote:X posting

I am bit confused. Is the article already repealed or the resolution is tabled? Does it require 2/3rd votes in both the houses?
@amishra77
"This is how it is being done.
President under Article 370, Section (3) can issue proclamation to annul #Article370 with concurrence J&K constituent assembly. President today issued proclamation that since constituent assembly no longer remains,so J&K assembly would mean same.

Since there is no J&K assembly as of today, hence all powers of J&K assembly reside in two houses of Parliament. Hence annulling #Article370 can be done with concurrence of simple majority of both houses of Parliament (and not 2/3rd). Hence fate of Article 370 sealed."
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Shaktimaan wrote:I hate to be the contrarian during this time of apparent jubilation, but I don't see how this bifurcation solves anything .

The basic problem of religious radicalization is not solved. Pakistan is still right next door.

A negotiated settlement with the Pakis as a stakeholder would be a far longer lasting solution than more soldiers and guns. I'm saying this with full awareness as a responsible member of this forum.
I agree. I don’t see what this can change in the short term.

The “Kashmir problems” remain & now there is more opposition from erstwhile GOI allies to GOI for running roughshod over the Constitution.

In the longer term, there might be value, if conditions can be improved to the point where outsiders feel comfortable buying property & settling in Kashmir - it will create a less insular, more patriotic population base (not holding my breath for this, given how the Pundits & Sikhs were driven out).
dhyana
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dhyana »

Per TimesofIndia... BJD, BSP, AIADMK, TRS, and YSRCP supporting revocation of Article 370.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Is this official congress position?
Tehseen Poonawalla
@tehseenp
Whatever the govt of India has done, it's done! Let's congratulate
@PMOIndia

@HMOIndia
& now reach out to the #Kashmiris .
Jammu & Kashmir now UT with a legislature
Ladak UT without legislature.
#Article370 scrapped.
Remember the #Kashmiris are our fellow citizens
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

bifurcation solves many but not all problems. 1) ladhak will develop more rapidly now with more funds, quicker decision making and being free from srinagars overbearing control. All kinds of kashmiri chuts come to ladhak to inspect and order 2) jammu and kashmir as UT means LG will have lot of say in administration ..most notably police will be under LG. The previous CM's compromised the police and thus the anti terrorism ops 3) annuling 35A means demographics of J&K will change and with that delimitation etc. the CG will shift towards Jammu in medium to long term. 4) question of infiltration , terrorism will persist and will need more resolute action. But this is a HUGE step
Last edited by manjgu on 05 Aug 2019 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

congress with its inept leadership is on wrong side of history. its writing its own obituary... god bless congress.
siqir
BRFite -Trainee

Post by siqir »

The resolution said the President, on the recommendation of the Parliament, is pleased to declare that, as from August 5, 2019, all clauses of the said article 370 shall cease to be operative except clause (1).
Shah also moved the Jammu and Kashmir (Reorganisation) Bill, that converted the state into a Union Territory with legislature, and hived off Ladakh region into another Union Territory without legislature.
Shortly after the Home Minister tabled these documents, President Ram Nath Kovind came out with a notification -- The Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 2019 that will come into force immediately.
https://www.aninews.in/news/national/po ... 805122919/
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

manjgu wrote:bifurcation solves many but not all problems. 1) ladhak will develop more rapidly now with more funds, quicker decision making and being free from srinagars overbearing control. All kinds of kashmiri chuts come to ladhak to inspect and order 2) jammu and kashmir as UT means LG will have lot of say in administration ..most notably police will be under LG. The previous CM's compromised the police and thus the anti terrorism ops 3) annuling 35A means demographics of J&K will change and with that delimitation etc. the CG will shift towards Jammu in medium to long term. 4) question of infiltration , terrorism will persist and will need more resolute action. But this is a HUGE step
Yes political noise is gone as 370 is gone and courts don't entertain anyway. (With 370, SC has no power, if SC has to pass judgments it has to accept today's annul of 370.)

Terrorists don't need 370 anyway so they can continue and Indian Army and Airforce can fight with them.

All these 37Xs are special provisions anyway, they don't have teeth once they are annulled.
siqir
BRFite -Trainee

Post by siqir »

so the parliament is sending recommendation to president and not amending constitution
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

siqir wrote:so the parliament is sending recommendation to president and not amending constitution
Why does it need amendment?

Except 10-20 MPs, assuming some Congress MPs also opposed it, every one supported it.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

manjgu wrote:bifurcation solves many but not all problems. 1) ladhak will develop more rapidly now with more funds, quicker decision making and being free from srinagars overbearing control. All kinds of kashmiri chuts come to ladhak to inspect and order 2) jammu and kashmir as UT means LG will have lot of say in administration ..most notably police will be under LG. The previous CM's compromised the police and thus the anti terrorism ops 3) annuling 35A means demographics of J&K will change and with that delimitation etc. the CG will shift towards Jammu in medium to long term. 4) question of infiltration , terrorism will persist and will need more resolute action. But this is a HUGE step
Pretty much sums it up. Also, what few people understand is that the `Kashmir' problem' or militancy affects hardly 9 of the 22 districts in
the state (maybe 11 at a stretch). Half the State is not just militancy free, but strongly with India. The valley was dominating the rest of the State and a handful of political families were holding successive central govts to ransom (finance us, else we unleash stone pelters).
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Arvind Kejriwal
@ArvindKejriwal
We support the govt on its decisions on J & K. We hope this will bring peace and development in the state.
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Not that it matters but Kejri is supporting the bill.
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

We used to be a country where large sections of the electorate would want tax cuts/deductions or higher procurement prices for farm-goods or lower fuel prices or easier loan process or whatever and the government will, in most cases, do what much of what was expected. That is how years and decades went by.

These days, you cannot find even ten otherwise generally knowledgeable people agree on what the government will do in the following week that goes to rewrite our future as a nation.

We are in a new era! Jai Hind!
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Any idea why areas of Jammu are begin Kept with Kashmir? legality of Jammu and kashmir?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

the UT status will also sound the demise of the political families who have blackmailed India for long. the LG will rule the roost ( ask Kejriwal). I wish they had made Jammu city as permanent capital of new J&K. Also the move will provide citizenship to many folks in Jammu region who are stateless. Abdullahs/Mufti can do whatever they want..their time is up. they can fall in line or migrate to pakistan/England.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

will there be any assembly? delhi is a special case..not all UTs have assemblies...
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

They are following the Pondicherry model as far as I can tell. So yes JK will have an assembly
Gautam_2
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Gautam_2 »

ArjunPandit wrote:will there be any assembly? delhi is a special case..not all UTs have assemblies...
J&K will have assembly, Ladakh won't.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

ArjunPandit wrote:will there be any assembly? delhi is a special case..not all UTs have assemblies...
Yes, the statement clearly said UT with legislature for J&K and UT without legislature for Ladakh (it will be similar to Diu/Daman etc)
Last edited by Bart S on 05 Aug 2019 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Anujan wrote:They are following the Pondicherry model as far as I can tell. So yes JK will have an assembly
But Ladakh will be a fully centrally administered UT with no assembly. I wonder why two different models were selected for the newly-born UTs.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

1) jammu is being kept to ensure demographics can change in new J&K UT. 2) because J&K is too populous/big not to have assembly
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

khan wrote:

I agree. I don’t see what this can change in the short term.

The “Kashmir problems” remain & now there is more opposition from erstwhile GOI allies to GOI for running roughshod over the Constitution.

In the longer term, there might be value, if conditions can be improved to the point where outsiders feel comfortable buying property & settling in Kashmir - it will create a less insular, more patriotic population base (not holding my breath for this, given how the Pundits & Sikhs were driven out).
police in union territory directly comes under ministry of home. So state lost police control.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

A few points:
1. Ladakh is a peaceful place inhabited by peaceful people. This change will help them develop quickly with some help from the central government. Separation from J&K is a good thing for the Ladakhi people. As the population is small, we shall see the results soon. Development especially in tourism sector can be done quickly. Most Indians can travel to Leh through Rohtang pass, avoiding Srinagar completely.
2. The remaining J&K will have a troublesome Kashmiri part, but this separation will help the security services to be able to concentrate more on the troubled districts. But the districts are small in number. Power should be devolved to include more of the Jammu population in the power structure. The Muslim heartlands that are also the center of non-violent agitations should get more settlers to change the demographics. But this will take time. But as the central government will be in control, the agitation will not go out of control. Regular jhapads should be given to Pakistan.
3. Most Indians support this. Those parties opposing will be decimated in the next election. I am sure this fact is known to the MPs that are creating all that chaos in parliament.
Gautam
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

thanks for the responses apoliges.. but i am not able to access most news site..so pardon asking basic questions..but how did it happen..i could track that it was tabled in RS, but what about LS and presidential..what is the status in parliament..?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

This is the text of Article 370.
1 370. Temporary provisions with respect to the State of Jammu and Kashmir

(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Constitution,—

(a) the provisions of article 238 shall not apply now in relation to the state of Jammu and Kashmir;[a]
(b) the power of Parliament to make laws for the said state shall be limited to—

(i) those matters in the Union List and the Concurrent List which, in consultation with the Government of the State, are declared by the President to correspond to matters specified in the Instrument of Accession governing the accession of the State to the Dominion of India as the matters with respect to which the Dominion Legislature may make laws for that State; and
(ii) such other matters in the said Lists as, with the concurrence of the Government of the State, the President may by order specify.

Explanation: For the purposes of this article, the Government of the State means the person for the time being recognised by the President as the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir acting on the advice of the Council of Ministers for the time being in office under the Maharaja’s Proclamation dated the fifth day of March, 1948

(c) the provisions of article 1 and of this article shall apply in relation to that State;
(d) such of the other provisions of this Constitution shall apply in relation to that State subject to such exceptions and modifications as the President may by order specify:
Provided that no such order which relates to the matters specified in the Instrument of Accession of the State referred to in paragraph (i) of sub-clause (b) shall be issued except in consultation with the Government of the State:
Provided further that no such order which relates to matters other than those referred to in the last preceding proviso shall be issued except with the concurrence of that Government.

(2) If the concurrence of the Government of the State referred to in paragraph (ii) of sub-clause (b) of clause (1) or in the second provision to sub-clause (d) of that clause be given before the Constituent Assembly for the purpose of framing the Constitution of the State is convened, it shall be placed before such Assembly for such decision as it may take thereon.

(3) Notwithstanding anything in the foregoing provisions of this article, the President may, by public notification, declare that this article shall cease to be operative or shall be operative only with such exceptions and modifications and from such date as he may specify:
Provided that the recommendation of the Constituent Assembly of the State referred to in clause (2) shall be necessary before the President issues such a notification.[11]

--------

1 In exercise of the powers conferred by this article the President, on the recommendation of the Constituent Assembly of the State of Jammu and Kashmir, declared that, as from the 17th day of November, 1952, the said art. 370 shall be operative with the modification thatfor the Explanation in cl. (1) thereof, the following Explanation is substituted, namely:—

“Explanation.—For the purposes of this article, the Government of the State means the person for the time being recognised by the President on the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly of the State as the *Sadar-I-Riyasat of Jammu and Kashmir, acting on the advice of the Council of Ministers of the State for the time being in office.”. (Ministry of Law Order No. C.O. 44, dated the 15th November, 1952).
*Now “Governor”.
My comments:
The bolded parts are what the govt used to remove this. SuSwamy had mentioned it multiple times in the public domain.
  1. The Constituent Assembly of the State does not exist as of today. Its last sitting was in 1952.
  2. The State itself was the one appointed by the Maharaja and does not exist.
  3. This was a temporary provision and is not meant to be permanent.
Link - Constitution of India
Last edited by arshyam on 05 Aug 2019 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

the problem with india is we are like bhole baba...we dont know our own power... we dont have to be scared of anybody..we are a N power with a powerful fauj... we should be ready to crush our enemies. piddly being like mufti, abdullah, mirawiz etc need to handled like pigs and taken care of accordingly.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

From twitter, not sure how true this is.
The Activist, #JaiShriRam, #HinduCharter
@AhmAsmiYodha
·
10m
Speed of light explained

Announcement at 11:27
President signed 11:28
Notification published 11:29
All over social media 11:30

Congratulations India

#370Gone #370ख़त्म
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

If delimitation occurs for J&K assembly polls and Jammu ends up with more seats, then valley domination along with the Muftis, azads and abdullahs will be done too. Ssince Jammu is a much larger area and perhaps more hospitable too than Kashmir valley, Hindu population of the new J&K union territory can be ramped up by settling people from other parts of India.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Kashi wrote:
Anujan wrote:They are following the Pondicherry model as far as I can tell. So yes JK will have an assembly
But Ladakh will be a fully centrally administered UT with no assembly. I wonder why two different models were selected for the newly-born UTs.
200,000 people live in Ladakh. Too few to have an assembly.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

manjgu wrote:1) jammu is being kept to ensure demographics can change in new J&K UT. 2) because J&K is too populous/big not to have assembly
Right ... and delimitation is happening which according to some on twitter will immediately reverse the balance of power between Kashmir and Jammu.
https://twitter.com/manupubby/status/11 ... 5512352768
Manu Pubby @manupubby
Delimitation exercise by the Election Commission to also take place for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.

Seats in the legislative assembly to increase from 107 to 114. Reservations for SC/ST to be included.

UT will follow the Puducherry model.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

ladhaki people should be allowed to vote in J&K elections...hahahahahahaa...
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Voting will take place both in RS and LS is my guess. I am still thinking about American angle. A mere statement from Uncle cannot trigger a major decision. I would say the plan came into play before 2019 elections.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

manjgu wrote:the problem with india is we are like bhole baba...we dont know our own power... we dont have to be scared of anybody..we are a N power with a powerful fauj... we should be ready to crush our enemies. piddly being like mufti, abdullah, mirawiz etc need to handled like pigs and taken care of accordingly.
I do not think so, as far as Bhole Baba is concerned that is. This problem could gave been solved long time ago, but the ruling party had other priorities. We know what those priorities are.
Gautam
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

^^
This was always on the plate for this LS via BJP's agenda but the changing situation around J&K prompted Modi/GOI to fast-track it.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

g.sarkar... as someone said we always punch below our weight. we dont have the DNA of a superpower.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

habal wrote: police in union territory directly comes under ministry of home. So state lost police control.
If this was a serious obstacle to fixing the Kashmir problem, then yes, it’s a big deal.