Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 17 Dec 2018

abhik
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 17 Dec 2018

Post by abhik »

Kanson wrote:
abhik wrote: Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. Is test phase == test launch soon? Also what do we know about this system till date? All i remember is talk of 200-300 km range missile a few years back and then nothing more.
Previous govt engaged in tech transfer of long range sam seeker.
Tech transfer from whom? TIA.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

@kit, IMO the article seems to regurgitate some contradictory rumours/speculations. I wouldn't have posted it here, with no information forth coming from official sources, eventually these rumours become accepted facts.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

abhik wrote:@kit, IMO the article seems to regurgitate some contradictory rumours/speculations. I wouldn't have posted it here, with no information forth coming from official sources, eventually these rumours become accepted facts.
I think you are right.. there are sources saying the other way around for the S400 radars .

Mods, can I please request for my above post to be deleted ?. Thanks !
Last edited by SSridhar on 07 Aug 2019 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Earlier post deleted
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

From Harsh Vardhan Thakur on twitter - with regards to Astra

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/1158755489385046023

"It's presently in AIM-120C-5 class. Better than R-77-1 in every respect. Maturity and surety of the missile is V important to get a good kill probability. We have some distance to go there. But not very long. ASTRA Mk2 with Solid-Fuel Ducted RamJet has a very promising prospects"

What does the bold part mean ?
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

naird wrote:What does the bold part mean ?
It means what CAG pointed out in its report as demonstrated by IAF testing. It does not perform reliably to meet its performance specifications. Good news is Astra Mk2 will use SFDR!
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

abhik wrote:
Kanson wrote: Previous govt engaged in tech transfer of long range sam seeker.
Tech transfer from whom? TIA.
Israel. It was in the news. On Modi's trip to Israel.

Various drdo officials including reddy garu mentioned, India will have complete self reliance in missile tech by 2022. It is expected, we reach there between 2019 to 2022. To shorten development time, india bought & sought seeker tech in bits & peices all along.

While India's arms/tech dealings with Israel is moderated, it is completely blacked out in case with russians. And we have access to europe's as well. We know India is engaging in tech transfer on long range seeker, not much details on other players.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

If we look at S400 system's missile components,
1. 40N6 400km - I guess we have to buy. No equivalence.
2. 48N6 250km - we are trying to develop as XRSAM
3. 9M96 120 km - this is where MRSAM barak-NG comes in
4. 9M96 40 km - Akash variants & qrsam does the job.

So just wondering, Parrikar as RM curtailed S400 units from 10 to 5 as duplication of work, citing revaluation study by iaf , which says long range system makes large number of medium & small range system redudant.
Otherway to look at it , as per me, in S400 purchase we are going to concentrate on long range missiles. Perhaps reason for cutting down to 5 units is to fill the remanings gaps with indigenous systems?
In this situation, how crucial is xrsam development, Just wondering!
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

^^^
I very much doubt we got anything from the Israelis, its all our hard work.

XR SAM will also be needed for the Navy, when we eventually graduate to big boy destroyers.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

The cut down in #s for S-400 IMO is due to high cost Russians were demanding well over 10 billion if I recall correctly. Even then they are fleecing us If you look at breakdown of missiles China got much better bargain than us (of course apologists will claim it has nuclear deal, inflation etc).
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Please provide the link. AFAIK no such news was reported.
Kanson wrote:
abhik wrote: Tech transfer from whom? TIA.
Israel. It was in the news. On Modi's trip to Israel.

Various drdo officials including reddy garu mentioned, India will have complete self reliance in missile tech by 2022. It is expected, we reach there between 2019 to 2022. To shorten development time, india bought & sought seeker tech in bits & peices all along.

While India's arms/tech dealings with Israel is moderated, it is completely blacked out in case with russians. And we have access to europe's as well. We know India is engaging in tech transfer on long range seeker, not much details on other players.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Which CAG report? AFAIK they never reported on Astra performance. Only about initial set of Akash rounds, issues were fixed and several rounds of trials occurred later on.

HVT is saying something else entirely IMHO. He expects the IAF to use the 50 order LSP to test the missile across ops conditions and ensure consistency of round production and performance.
tsarkar wrote:
naird wrote:What does the bold part mean ?
It means what CAG pointed out in its report as demonstrated by IAF testing. It does not perform reliably to meet its performance specifications. Good news is Astra Mk2 will use SFDR!
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Karan M wrote:Which CAG report? AFAIK they never reported on Astra performance. Only about initial set of Akash rounds, issues were fixed and several rounds of trials occurred later on.

HVT is saying something else entirely IMHO. He expects the IAF to use the 50 order LSP to test the missile across ops conditions and ensure consistency of round production and performance.
tsarkar wrote:
I was referring to the R-77 that naird was asking about and the associated CAG report.

Astra Mk1 has met all testing criteria and is on track for induction to replace R-77 with Mk2 having SFDR.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

"While India's arms/tech dealings with Israel is moderated, it is completely blacked out in case with russians"

The problem with remarks like this, is that it can easily become a weapon in the hands of India opponents and critics( including within India) who look out for any info that questions how indigenous a product is. Perhaps the Indian concerns could be a little more forthright to clear up any uncertainty?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:"While India's arms/tech dealings with Israel is moderated, it is completely blacked out in case with russians"

The problem with remarks like this, is that it can easily become a weapon in the hands of India opponents and critics( including within India) who look out for any info that questions how indigenous a product is. Perhaps the Indian concerns could be a little more forthright to clear up any uncertainty?
one small issue being the CAATSA, i think the tactical deals will be open but not much on strategic ones, no need to worry about what we don't know !!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

KaranM The order for LSP 50 is to set up sufficient qty of production for a lot of kinks will be found in production of the Astra from prototype o rate productions. These mfg kinks will be more severe than any use issues.
Weak solder joins,parts cracking during assy, incorrect soldering etc.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

I am guessing HVT mixed up Astra MK2 with SFDR. MK2 is supposed to have dual pulse motor. Unless something changed between AI2019 and now, its still on track with dual pulse motor.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Guys, just a thought, little late I know, how will S-400 and Indian C 17, C 130J and even Rafale communicate? Don't think americans will allow that. Does that mean Those planes will not operate in the theater where S-400 are deployed?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Karthik S wrote:Guys, just a thought, little late I know, how will S-400 and Indian C 17, C 130J and even Rafale communicate? Don't think americans will allow that. Does that mean Those planes will not operate in the theater where S-400 are deployed?
CABS develops IFF system
Scientific Advisor to the defence minister, V K Saraswat on Wednesday said the Centre for Air-Borne Systems (CABS), a Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) laboratory, had successfully developed and ‘productionised’ an Identification of Friend or Foe (IFF) system.

Stating that the system would be fitted on the Airborne Early Warning and Control aircraft, to be received from Brazil soon, Saraswat said: “IFF Mk-12(S), the latest version of the warning system, can be fitted on any platform, including aircraft, ships, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) and also on missiles.

“The IFF Mk-12(S) is a spin-off to the AEW&C programme and contains an integrator, transponder and combined interrogator and transponder to meet the needs of tri-services,” he said.

“An indigenous IFF is not only a requirement for AEW&C, it is also a requirement of the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas. So once the product is available in large numbers it will find a place in all DRDO developed aircraft platforms, including LCA, ALH and so on,” Saraswat added.

All the existing aircraft currently have an older version of IFF––Mk-10––and have now been mandated to upgrade to MK-12. The DRDO is expecting a large order from the Indian Air Force (IAF).

CABS Director S Christopher said that the lab had adapted the design conforming to the international standard- ICAO/STANAG 4193 - for its IFF.
rrao
BRFite

Post by rrao »

srai wrote:
Karthik S wrote:Guys, just a thought, little late I know, how will S-400 and Indian C 17, C 130J and even Rafale communicate? Don't think americans will allow that. Does that mean Those planes will not operate in the theater where S-400 are deployed?
CABS develops IFF system
Scientific Advisor to the defence minister, V K Saraswat on Wednesday said the Centre for Air-Borne Systems (CABS), a Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) laboratory, had successfully developed and ‘productionised’ an Identification of Friend or Foe (IFF) system.

Stating that the system would be fitted on the Airborne Early Warning and Control aircraft, to be received from Brazil soon, Saraswat said: “IFF Mk-12(S), the latest version of the warning system, can be fitted on any platform, including aircraft, ships, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) and also on missiles.

“The IFF Mk-12(S) is a spin-off to the AEW&C programme and contains an integrator, transponder and combined interrogator and transponder to meet the needs of tri-services,” he said.

“An indigenous IFF is not only a requirement for AEW&C, it is also a requirement of the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas. So once the product is available in large numbers it will find a place in all DRDO developed aircraft platforms, including LCA, ALH and so on,” Saraswat added.

All the existing aircraft currently have an older version of IFF––Mk-10––and have now been mandated to upgrade to MK-12. The DRDO is expecting a large order from the Indian Air Force (IAF).

CABS Director S Christopher said that the lab had adapted the design conforming to the international standard- ICAO/STANAG 4193 - for its IFF.
HAL has developed IFFMK-XII few years back and supplied to customer.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
That would be the same one as CABS IFF Mk-12, which was ready and ‘productionized’ in 2012.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Prem Kumar wrote:Any particular advantage/disadvantage of MMW vs Ku-band seekers?

1) Wiki tells me that MMW seekers suffer more atmospheric attenuation. Is that why they're not preferred for A2A or SAM applications?
2) If so, why is MMW preferred for an ATGM role vs Ku-band? Better resolution?
mmW seeker is ideal for very small diameter missiles that require good spatial (angular) resolution RF imaging.
Not to mention, super wide bandwidth available for LPI.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Thanks Haridas!
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Has this been reported here it seems now Brahmos batteries are going to replace the Styx in coastal defences role. Good news
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yes. Finally the coastal batteries Styx are crossing the river Styx!
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Security Scan - QRSAM- Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Incredible video. 2 of the panelists were gold! The journalist as usual..halfway house. But what an info packed program. Thanks VinodTK.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Aditya_V wrote:Has this been reported here it seems now Brahmos batteries are going to replace the Styx in coastal defences role. Good news
Hope these are the 500 Km variants. This will create a 500 Km protective bubble around India's vast shoreline. Quite incredible if we make this happen.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Karan M wrote:Incredible video. 2 of the panelists were gold! The journalist as usual..halfway house. But what an info packed program. Thanks VinodTK.
Great video, I'm not sure why they wasted time on that HT editor.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Great video. I wish that they had not gone to AI. That's not AI does. The explanation of the role and structure of QRSAM was great!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Let's not waste the old Stx rounds.Send them to the Styx...the Rann of Kutch area to pound the Pakis from closer range.There was a v.good feature on telly of this unique and desolate area and thd way in which the BSF patrol it usinv various eqpt.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Indranil wrote:Great video. ... The explanation of the role and structure of QRSAM was great!
Wasn’t clear how the QRSAM fit the IAF? Sounded like Akash SR would be sufficient for covering mostly static/semi-static VA/VP.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Possible replacement for OSA-AKM.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JayS wrote:The additional protrusion of longer BVR is precisely why I am thinking more about it. The dual pylon setup for MK1A did cross my mind and its not too much to expect the outboard pylon will easily host a BVR in terms of weight, when a CCM can be put at wing tip.

The length difference in CCM and BVR is about 0.5m or so.

Given many fighters do have BVR mounted with significant protrusion ahead of the wing LE, I think, MWF should have no problem.
JayS, So what will it take to put a IIR seeker on and Astra and get a quick CCM?
Will it be less agile?
The advantage is it will be powered all the way.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
A Desi MICA IR/RF
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Karan M wrote:Possible replacement for OSA-AKM.
It is listed as SA-6 replacement as well in some news briefs along with OSA.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

John wrote:
Karan M wrote:Possible replacement for OSA-AKM.
It is listed as SA-6 replacement as well in some news briefs along with OSA.
The two SA-6 Missile Groups in Indian Army were with 1 and 2 Strike Corps, respectively. Simply because these two Corps hold most of the armor & other prime assets and they were given the best SAM AD asset available at the time. But do note that these SAM Groups were not part of the armored division but AD Brigade held by the Corps HQ.

If you look at induction of Akash into the Indian Army, first two regiments have gone to Pivot Corps. Since these Corps are not expected to go too deep into Pakistan, Akash can provide AD umbrella to them.

QR_SAM is a genuine mobile SAM and in my opinion, Strike Corps will become the first customers of this type. Secondly, what needs to be seen is whether it becomes organic to AD Brigade of Armored Divisions or is held at Corps HQ level. My bet is on latter.

Reason being, the distributed nature of deployment that is possible allows batteries to be detached from the regiment and give AD cover to sub-units.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

DRDO cites Astra as CCM + BVR. Perhaps that's why it has big mid body fins.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ramana wrote:
JayS wrote:The additional protrusion of longer BVR is precisely why I am thinking more about it. The dual pylon setup for MK1A did cross my mind and its not too much to expect the outboard pylon will easily host a BVR in terms of weight, when a CCM can be put at wing tip.

The length difference in CCM and BVR is about 0.5m or so.

Given many fighters do have BVR mounted with significant protrusion ahead of the wing LE, I think, MWF should have no problem.
JayS, So what will it take to put a IIR seeker on and Astra and get a quick CCM?
Will it be less agile?
The advantage is it will be powered all the way.
I have already said somewhere that I would like to see Astra's IIR version along with the RF version. But in current airframe, its not agile enough for being a CCM. We need a fresh airframe IMO.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

IIR is/was used in AAM as it's cheaper, lighter not because it's better compared to RF seeker. Its possible that Astra MK1 cost & maneuverabilty has improved to an extent that it can play the role of both CCM & BVR. Even MICA apart from cost is expected to play both roles. For eg, ASRAAM is a CCM without lots of fins, TVC or side thrusters.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

[quote="Karan M"]Please provide the link. AFAIK no such news was reported.

It was reported in Indian news portal on Modi's first trip to Israel. I currently dont have that link/archive.