Anti-India Politicians in the United States & UK

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Re: Anti-India Politicians in the United States

Post by KLNMurthy »

pankajs wrote:Who is going to confront them and based on what data?

GOI has always had this weakness where they just left the loose ends hanging. Instead, they should have come up with a detailed presentation listing the "harmful" laws that were rendered defunct and "liberal" laws that flowed into J&K post the action on A.370/53A. They should have posted this presentation on a portal and send SMS and emails to everyone they could reach in India and abroad via the embassies. Rest the NRIs would have done.

Instead all the GOI after the masterful speech of Amit Shah in the parliament was talk of taking "vikas" to J&K. The gap between rhetoric and data is HUGE.

Bwt, NONE of them spoke against A.370/35A action but against the "communication blackout" which is true and there is no way to refute that.
Here are some options to respond to Congress Members "concerned" about Cashmere:

Ro Khanna:
https://twitter.com/hydertext/status/11 ... 3821238277

Ted Lieu:
https://twitter.com/hydertext/status/11 ... 1584264192
https://twitter.com/hydertext/status/11 ... 5726128128
https://twitter.com/hydertext/status/11 ... 9696071680
https://twitter.com/hydertext/status/11 ... 9255263232
https://twitter.com/hydertext/status/11 ... 7849121793

Andy Levin:
https://twitter.com/hydertext/status/11 ... 0313072641
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

To start with, since the battlespace for now appears to be mainly Twitter, can we get some field comms going to help organize & coordinate our efforts?

I had no idea KLNM was on Twitter at all.

Please see the BRF Info Warfare and Social Media Thread here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7696

If you haven't already, please

1. Post in that thread with your twitter handle
2. Follow everyone else's handle posted on that thread
3. When notified, everyone will follow you back in turn.

The number of RTs, Likes, Follows, Impressions makes lots of difference in this type of fight. Thanks
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Raja Krishnamoorthi. Congressman (D) IL
He's trying to dance around the issue, keeping the Hindus who vote for him happy, and also trying to be in line with other Dem leaders.

People replying seem confused at his ambivalent stand.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Raja K is a good guy. He was man enough to attend & speak at the World Hindu Congress in Chicago last year when even Tulsi Gabbard pulled out, making excuses about "partisan political entities" being invited.

For that he has earned some license to lay low & play ambiguous at a time when so many other Dems are openly bashing India.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Chinmay wrote:Ro Khanna

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1167100607230042113
Ro Khanna
@RoKhanna
Replying to
@FriedrichPieter
Important article. It’s the duty of every American politician of Hindu faith to stand for pluralism, reject Hindutva, and speak for equal rights for Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhist & Christians. That is the vision of India my grandfather Amarnath Vidyalankar fought for.
Wow what a turd, I thought he was randomly passing gas, only after opening the tweet I realized he is reacting to the hit piece on TG.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

There seems to be pretty good correlation between already named and visitors of CAIR like organizations. Not surprising.
Cross correlation of khalistan asylum seeker supporters and related south asian xyz organizations would provide more names.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Mort, sorry missed your post. My opinion based on many years of watching American politics. Due to their past history of native American extermination, slavery and fight against fascism they are extremely politically correct about what they say and do (barring the racist section). Trump is an anomaly. What Trump has done by virtually restricting Muslims immigration was unthinkable in the US. This has riled the Dems and even sections of the Reps are uncomfortable. The global left (including Indian) is aligned with Islamists for unknown reasons as their ideologies are exactly opposite and actually antagonistic. The first thing that the Islamists did in Iran and Afgh and other places was to kill leftists. And we know what China is doing to Muslims. My perception is that the left being essentially an anarchistic movement has made a Faustian bargain by aligning with Islamists to destabilize their native societies leading to a situation where they grab power. In the US and other western countries where Indians migrate in large numbers the Islamists have long been well organized. They are well funded by the gulf states. The Hindus were not well organized prior to the 90s. In the US it started with the RJB movement when they were being attacked by both the left and Islamists. In order to prevent any form of organization the left did exactly what they did in India call everyone who was pro-Hindu or had a different point of view as a communal, fascist, bigot and a Hindutva supporter. These are terms that are very sensitive in US and the west and got equated with Hindutva. It was clever tactics by the left. So Indian-American leaders are very sensitive about associating with what are promptly labeled as Hindtuva agenda e.g. the California text book case can be a legitimate Hindu issue nothing to do with what happens in India but the left promptly tagged it with Hindutva. Again it is a clever tactic. Many Indian leftists do migrate abroad to capitalist countries inspite of their ideological rhetoric. Many Naxalites migrated in the 70s and form the core of this group in US. They have extreme hatred for India, Hindus and everything to do with Hindu civilization and Hinduism. Now the average Indian-American politician or leader in any field naturally cannot be seen to be associated with Hindutva as their societies are multicultural and they have to draw votes from different segments. But you can see for yourself how popular Modi is when he visits the US. The public position should not be confused with the private position. Secondly you should judge by what they do and less by what they say e.g. Tulsi Gabbard is a true-blue Hindu and will put many native Hindus to shame but she has to maintain a public position. She is a true friend of India. So my point is that you should look at the sub-text. And as I mentioned there are different lobby groups in the US with different interests and they do the funding e.g. CAIR through gulf states to push Islamist issues. So the politicians and leaders have to keep everyone happy.

Judge by what they do more than by what they say.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

abhik wrote:
IIRC there are BRFites who have contributed/campaigned for this guy.
Mike Honda would have been better than this snake.. :rotfl: He came to power based on a subliminal 'Sooth Asian' campaign.. Now he has done this.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Mike Honda got derailed by corruption charges and tanked.
Self defeat.
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

vnms wrote: Saira Rao, a Democratic primary candidate for US Congress from Colorado 1st District
@sairasameerarao
Please leave her out. Have you ever followed her tweets? She is basically an "inter-sectional anti-white male" crusader. She probably wanted, but was never able to secure a white boyfriend. Very bitter woman. She is totally inconsequential. Let us not make this thread a farce and give such nobodys the publicity they badly need.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

From Whatsapp:

Ro Khanna. Is he a true ABCD or a conniving Politician?

By Gaurang Desai

Amongst Indians, the phrase ABCD means American Born Confused Desi. This is used for people of Indian origin, who are either confused or not fully aware about India or Indian traditions. Looking at Congressman Ro Khanna’s actions, one
wonders if he is truly an ABCD or a conniving Politician. I ask this because I had ample opportunity to interact with him, yet his latest actions make me wonder.

It was late October in 2011 when Ro Khanna met Indian community in bay area making his intention public to run for congress. His enthusiastic declaration of support for Indian (and Hindu) causes and moderate stand within American context gained him support of the community with equal vigor, yours’ truly being one of them.

I personally walked his prescient and donated to his campaign and voted for him in hopes that someone finally will put India’s (and Hindus) concerns within realm of American politics.

Though, his first term was somewhat bland and lackluster with exception of occasional statement about India and joining India Caucus. But in last month, he has shown his true colors.

First, he met Pakistani PM Imran Khan (which is fine, it’s a politician’s job), but his weird tweet concerned me. He claimed to have talked to Imran Khan in “Hindustani”. I did not understand what he meant by“Hindustani”. I am sure he must have heard Punjabi or Hindi being spoken in his home, but I thought this was an ABCD moment and ignored it. Add to this, being a member of India Caucus and of Indian origin, he did not raise an iota of concern about terrorism emanating from Pakistan which is not only effecting India, but rest of the world, including killing of US soldiers in Afghanistan.

Next day, Imran Khan, at US Institute of Peace event, admits that there were 30,000 to 40,000 terrorists on Pakistani soil.

What does Ro do? Soon he announced that he has joined Pakistan Caucus. The press reporting came out on Aug 14 th, Pakistan’s Independence Day. I would not mind someone joining Pakistan Caucus, but it is a cause for concern when a member of India caucus joins Pakistan Caucus. Broad objective a caucus is to promote causes of the said entity / caucus.

Pakistan’s fundamental cause is to destroy India. This truly makes one wonder, if he has any brains at all or if he only after fame and fortune?

Soon after, Khan and some Pakistani Diplomats threatened to wage a war against India (one of Pakistani General has predicted full blown war in October) after Indian parliament votes for integrating state of Jammu & Kashmir. This is followed by Asia Pacific arm of FATF (Financial Action Task Force) announcement putting Pakistan on a 6 month notice for not complying with actions prescribed to Pakistan for curbing terrorism (Pakistan had failed in 32 out of 40 parameters), the concerned members of Indian community request a meeting with Ro to persuade him to resign from Pakistan Caucus. Though, he met the community leaders to discuss the issue, what was disturbing was that he doubled down and decided to continue to be part of Pakistan Caucus.

He did give some weird reasons. First excuse he gave was that he is an American Congressman and he will act accordingly. I too am an American citizen and I too wish well for America. But he can do well for America and bring home our soldiers without joining Pakistan. Unless Imran Khan personally chose him to join the caucus, I don’t see any reasoning. Taking a stand against Terrorism is good for USA and India, but the whole world. Unless Ro thinks that Terrorism is good for America.

Second, he claimed that the call was made by people higher up. What does this mean? Did Bernie Sanders, ask him to do so? Maybe, Bernie’s campaign manager Faiz Shakir, who is a Pakistani influence him? After all, Ro is National Co-Chair of Bernie’s campaign. Is it possible that leaders of Democratic Party ask him to take this step? If so, did he even put forth any resistance or try to explain the situation? We know Bernie is anti-India. Is Democratic Party as whole is against India too?

Yes, he did make a statement indicating Article 370 was India’s internal matter. Interestingly, he had no clue what article 370 was, people had to explain to him what it was. This was just a statement. His actual actions are something different.

In the recent times, Imran Khan had also indicated that he will ask his people around the world (who he has paid and nurtured like a Manchurian candidate) to rise against India and targeted RSS. Right on the que, Ro Khanna also tweeted about rejecting Hindutva without any provocation. He did not have any problem when he received support from the said Hindutva people like me.

By the way, within last couple of weeks, in Pakistan, a Sikh girl was abducted, forcefully converted to Islam and supposedly married off to a terrorist and a Hindu girl too has been abducted and no news of what has happened to her.

Yet Ro has not condemned the act.

Considering all this, I do not believe Ro Khanna is an ABCD. I believe, either he is anti-India or a Manchurian candidate nurtured by Pakistan.

Similarly, Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Ilhan Omar and so called reporters of Wall Street Journal too have made anti-India statements. Have these people also been paid by Pakistan to make these statements?

Finally, I urge Ro Khanna to resign INDIA CAUCUS. We do NOT need back stabbers in India Caucus.

I request all Indian Americans, NOT to vote for Ro Khanna, Pramila Jayapal, Ilhan Omar or Bernie Sanders.

abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Second, he claimed that the call was made by people higher up. What does this mean? Did Bernie Sanders, ask him to do so? Maybe, Bernie’s campaign manager Faiz Shakir, who is a Pakistani influence him?
This is bizzare. How easy is it to primary this guy? From what I understand even though reps need to get re elected every 2 years, getting rid of a sitting congressman is next to impossible.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Why is it that every hyphenated social group in the US has been able to establish their "pressure points", but the 4.4 million strong Americans of Indian extraction seem either unable or unwilling to do so.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Here's two more "Right (dis)honourables" from UK

Liam Byrne@LiamByrneMP
Today thousands of people marched from Downing Street to the Indian High Commission to send a clear message to Mr Modi - you cannot silence the people of Kashmir.

AND

Steve Baker MP✔@SteveBakerHW
Happy to raise human rights in Kashmir on behalf of constituents in Parliament today during questions to @foreignoffice
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Rudradev wrote:Raja K is a good guy.
Most probably. I met his dad at a very small - less than 20 people - upanayana ceremony. I sat with him at a table with three others. We all ate with our hand and all that. He, the dad, is a very simple Prof. emeritus of hard engg. discipline, in a smallish private University, is a samskaari.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

WATCHED THIS VIDEO
MY GUESS AS FOLLOWS
........ JUST LIKE CONGOONS HERE, DEMOCS MUST BE RAKING CASH MOOR TO WOO MUSSIES IN US IN THE NEXT ELECTION...

WHERE AS TRUNP MUST HAVE TOLD MODI... " JUST IGNORE WHAT I SAY ABOUT MEDIATION BLA BLA, I AM JUST GIVING BUBBLE GUM TO PAKIS,, LET THEM KEEP CHEWING,, WHEREAS YOU PARTNER WITH ME AND DO LITTLE BIT OF CAMPAIGNING FOR ME. WHEN I WIN IT WILL BE YOUR WIN"

thats why i think both are :rotfl:

I have not seen trimp making outright negative ( wrt to India ) comment on kashmir / art 370. Just some pep talk about "We are watching, look forward to normalcy" thats all.
not like brishit,,,,,,circulating fake videos / organizing hartaaals in londanistan..

OT,, US presidential election will be on December 14, 2020
just 8 days before the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_conjunction
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

US election day is "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November" or "the first Tuesday after November 1"
In 2020, election day is November 3.
ChandraV
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ChandraV »

Ro Khanna is a garden variety American "progressive" weed. He needs to be cut down by Hindu American voters. Beyond disappointing. But by now he isn't reliant on the Indian votes anymore... he is a typical "South Asian" "brown/black identity" bullshit crowd mushrooming in the Democrat party, with only some tinge of IT/tech sensibilities.

The "progressive" virus has infected many Indian-Americans, "Hindu" Americans especially. I guess effects of Neera Tanden and her Center for American Progress?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Anti-India Politicians in the United States & UK

Post by ramana »

Added UK to the title
ramana
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

A_Gupta wrote:US election day is "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November" or "the first Tuesday after November 1"
FYI. The US electoral college officially votes on 14 DEC 2020. Individual electors can change their vote from what was on 03 NOV 2020. Although that has only happened once in 1972, but was of no consequence.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Mort Walker wrote:
A_Gupta wrote:US election day is "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November" or "the first Tuesday after November 1"
FYI. The US electoral college officially votes on 14 DEC 2020. Individual electors can change their vote from what was on 03 NOV 2020. Although that has only happened once in 1972, but was of no consequence.
Actually more than once. Further, states can have laws that invalidate the votes of faithless electors, etc.
Quite complicated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

phillydesi wrote:Ro Khanna is a garden variety American "progressive" weed. He needs to be cut down by Hindu American voters. Beyond disappointing. But by now he isn't reliant on the Indian votes anymore... he is a typical "South Asian" "brown/black identity" bullshit crowd mushrooming in the Democrat party, with only some tinge of IT/tech sensibilities.

The "progressive" virus has infected many Indian-Americans, "Hindu" Americans especially. I guess effects of Neera Tanden and her Center for American Progress?
U mean RAA Khanna? What a guy! Infiltrates the Pakistan cacoos (a redundant expression BTW). Meets Imran Khan to plant a bug. Truly herrowic.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

RD, Let the list be for both. This way it lists in one place the Anglosphere.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A similar list/tabulation is sorely needed for journalists. Need to do to some of them what was done to the FOIL FACULTY Petition Signors. This is a very clear-cut Right vs Wrong situation.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

I think this YouTube video is very relevant to this thread. I don't know who this guy (Aditya Satsangi) is but I hope like hell that he is right about the Democrats getting a thrashing in the US election next year.

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

How strong is the pan-muslim vote as opposed to the paki vote bank? I mean, do issues like kashmir or any other paki-pasand topics resonate among the larger Muslim community? Maybe that could explain these contortions by Khanna, et al?

Edited for clarity.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Plenty of ppl upset that YY pressure drives US policy. CAIR used to be driven by Palestine types I think. Gelf/KSA sheikhs simply did not bother to see what anyone thought of them.
In recent times Pakis have infiltrated the CAIR heavily, and started injecting their anti-India hate into the CAIR's agenda. YY don't mind because it brings desi yindoos also into the battle. YY strategy is to get Moo-moos to plunge into Jehad anywhere except towards YY
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^ How many years did it take for Ghulam Nabi Fai to be exposed? Keep an eagle eye on CAIR. It will happen later or sooner.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

I have been going through this thread ...and had suggested many eons back to have similar database...in some form ..here are my thoughts
1. Have a file having name country, party affiliation, link to file/folder for the individual
2. The file folder should contain: Screenshots of twitter, web/news links(less reliable these days), if possible video recordings. Videos have a higher chance of going away from youtube or other media sites due to data/bandwidth concerns
3. We could summarize key items
a. views on jews (finds resonanec)
b. US national/immigrants
c. views for immigrants
d. funding irregularities
e. Anti india voting patterns..
f. Anti india statements
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

UlanBatori wrote:A similar list/tabulation is sorely needed for journalists. Need to do to some of them what was done to the FOIL FACULTY Petition Signors. This is a very clear-cut Right vs Wrong situation.
This should be pretty easy. Anyone who is not STEM is immediately suspect. Clarity of thought is not present in the fields of humanities and law.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A_Gupta wrote:^^^ How many years did it take for Ghulam Nabi Fai to be exposed? Keep an eagle eye on CAIR. It will happen later or sooner.
And how did it happen? :eek: :shock: :eek: :mrgreen:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Do a good deed: Petition slamming BakistanBaksheeshCorupbtion

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox ... dVHZwkxZRb
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Rudradev wrote:Raja K is a good guy. He was man enough to attend & speak at the World Hindu Congress in Chicago last year when even Tulsi Gabbard pulled out, making excuses about "partisan political entities" being invited.

For that he has earned some license to lay low & play ambiguous at a time when so many other Dems are openly bashing India.
I have heard good things about him too. There is a fundraiser dinner being organized this month Upstate that I am hoping to attend or contribute to.

As has been said, the private opinion is more important and in this regard, TG and RK both appear to be pro-India and pro-Hindu.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Look at the open takleef of the Malsic author and CAIR in US: A top Joe Biden Staffer is a supporter of India's leader Narendra Modi.

A NEW ADVISER to Joe Biden’s presidential campaign, the director of outreach to the Asian-American Pacific Islander community, is a strong backer of extreme right-wing Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Amit Jani took to Facebook in May to celebrate the authoritarian leader’s reelection.

Jani, whose hiring as AAPI national vote director was announced last week, comes to Biden’s campaign from New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy’s office. He worked on AAPI outreach on Murphy’s 2017 campaign and Sen. Bob Menendez’s 2018 campaign.

In May, after Modi secured a second term as prime minister, Jani posted a collection of photos on Facebook and wrote, “Loved the energy and jubilation throughout the state on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s victory in the Indian national elections! Proud of Deepti Jani for all the work you did during the campaign!”

Deepti Jani is identified as Amit Jani’s mother in a 2018 article in the News India Times. It is unclear what work Deepti Jani did during Modi’s campaign, but Amit Jani’s Facebook post includes images of Deepti Jani appearing on TV Asia, where she is identified as “Community Activist, BJP Supporter” — a reference to Modi’s Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party.

On June 25, 2017, Deepti Jani posted a photo of Amit Jani with the Indian prime minister, apparently taken at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in McLean, Virginia, where the Indian diaspora had organized a “community reception” for Modi the day before his White House meeting with Donald Trump. The photo is captioned, “Amit Jani with Respected Prime Minister Narendra Modi.”

Modi has been a controversial figure on the international stage since at least 2002, when, as chief minister of the state of Gujarat, he oversaw mass violence against the minority Muslim population. For years, Modi was shunned by the West — and even banned from entering the United States — but he has made a comeback since his 2014 election as prime minister. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, has been a consistent defender of the Indian premier in Washington, which includes advocating for a reversal of his visa ban. In 2014, President Barack Obama invited Modi to the White House. (Biden met with Modi at the State Department during that visit.)

Modi’s relationship with the West has thawed even as he and the BJP have taken India in an increasingly nationalist direction, guided by Hindutva — an ideology that views India as a Hindu nation, where adherents of other faiths are second-class citizens. Indeed, religious and ethnic minorities have faced increased discrimination in the five years since Modi entered office.

Biden’s hiring of a Modi supporter comes just weeks after the BJP revoked a constitutional provision that gave autonomy to Kashmir, the only Muslim-majority state in the country. Kashmir, which is considered one of the most militarized regions on Earth, has been under near-total lockdown since early August, with Indian forces using brute force against civilians. Additionally, a recent census in the northeastern state of Assam has led to more than 1.9 million people — most of them Muslim — being stripped of their Indian citizenship. The Indian government is building mass detention camps for these people, who have effectively been rendered stateless.

The Biden campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Imraan Siddiqi, a civil rights activist and executive director of the Arizona chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the timing of Biden’s hiring of Jani raises red flags.

“One would think that Modi and his ideology would be a pariah politically around the world.”
“As an Indian-American, who’s seeing the humanitarian crisis imposed on Kashmir by the Modi government — it is truly troubling to see Biden elevating someone who is in support of this now bordering on fascist regime in a leadership position,” said Siddiqi, who drew attention to Jani’s support for Modi on Twitter during Thursday’s Democratic presidential debate, in a written statement to The Intercept. “This week alone, 1.9 Million Indians were stripped of their citizenship in Assam — as well as prison camps being constructed by the Modi government. Add that to the ongoing far-right nationalist lynchings taking place across the country with impunity — one would think that Modi and his ideology would be a pariah politically around the world. But as we are seeing with Tulsi Gabbard and now Biden’s campaign — it appears that BJP/Hindutva politics is influencing both sides of the aisle in American politics.” (During his 2016 campaign, Trump courted Hindu nationalist voters in the United States.)

Democratic presidential contenders Sens. Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris and former Rep. Beto O’Rourke have expressed concern about the recent unrest in Kashmir, but Biden has yet to publicly address the situation. Biden is the preferred candidate in the Democratic primary among Asian-American and Pacific Islander voters, who also named Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren as favorites, according to a recent poll sponsored by AAPI Victory Fund, a political action committee, and Investingin.Us, a political group.

AMIT JANI’S FATHER, Suresh Jani, is one of the founders of the Overseas Friends of the BJP in the United States, a sister organization of India’s Hindu nationalist party that was founded, in part, to counter the negative international press the party was receiving.

The late Suresh Jani comes from the same village in Gujarat as Modi, and the two met at a gathering of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, or RSS, a right-wing Indian paramilitary group that is considered the parent organization of the BJP, according to reports in the Indian press. Jani immigrated to the United States in 1987. Six years later, Modi visited the United States, where he stayed with Jani at his New Jersey home.

Suresh Jani relayed some of those experiences to Rediff, an Indian news website, in 2014.

“My mother liked Modi so much that when he was leaving, she blessed him and predicted that one day he would become a great man. She gifted Modi $51 as a shaghun (an auspicious symbolic gift). Around eight years later, when he was about to be sworn in as chief minister, Modi called and asked me to connect him with my mother. He said he still remembers the shaghun and her blessings. Then my mother told him ‘You will become bigger’,” he says.

Once, Jani remembers, they went to Lexington Avenue where many Indian restaurants are located. Modi preferred a North Indian restaurant. The waiter told them that the meal would cost $13 for 13 items.

When Jani was paying the bill, Modi went to the cash counter and said they were served three items less, so how could the restaurant charge the full amount without serving what was promised. So he got a discount of $6 on the bill. That amount Modi asked Jani to give the waiters as a tip. Then Modi advised Jani, ‘Never pay money in haste.’

In a 1993 photo provided by Suresh Jani to the Times of India, the two men stand side by side at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, with Modi holding a bouquet of flowers. Suresh Jani also welcomed Modi at the airport in 1997 and 2000, he told Rediff.

In 2001, Modi was appointed chief minister of Gujarat, and he was officially elected to the post in February 2002. Soon after, the state became engulfed in anti-Muslim violence. Modi was widely blamed for not doing enough to stop the pogrom, if not actually sanctioning it. A special investigation team in India eventually found that there was not enough evidence to prosecute Modi for his involvement, but there was enough circumstantial evidence to turn him into a political pariah in the West. That was not enough to change Suresh Jani’s opinion of the Indian politician; indeed, it was in 2014, after the United States reversed its travel ban against Modi, that Suresh Jani gave fawning interviews to the Indian press about Modi’s past visits to the U.S.

Amit Jani made a nod to his father’s involvement in Indian politics in a recent Facebook post, in which he posted photos from an event at which he was apparently recognized “on behalf of New Jersey Leadership Program, as well as my father’s contributions to Indian politics.”