Pedophilia/Pederasty/Infidelity Crisis in the Roman Catholic Organization

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: Pedophilia/Pederasty/Infidelity Crisis in the Roman Catholic Organization

Post by UlanBatori »

Mantri-e-Malloostan has his ass in hot water after sneering at said Nun claiming that if she got sex 13 times she is no "Kanya Stri" (virgin woman) but a prostitute. Several ppl are signing their letters "Prostitute (their name)" in protest.

Doesn't India have the equivalent of an Eff Bee Eye that takes over if local State Polis is too corrupt/too dhimmified by Police Mantri==Chief Mantri, to pursue a case and arrest the buggers? (no pun intended)
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Kerala MLA PC George withdraws prostitute' remark against nun, refuses to regret - Jaikrishnan Nair

KOTTAYAM: Kerala MLA P C George has said that he is withdrawing the “prostitute” remark which he made about the nun who had lodged a complaint of sexual abuse against Jalandhar Bishop Franco Mulakkal. Speaking to TOI on Wednesday, George said that he is only withdrawing the word and the rest of the remarks made in the press conference remains the same.

"I have no regret about passing such a comment. But I am withdrawing the word as it was not right to use the word. But I am reaffirming the rest of the remarks made in that press conference,” he said. “I don’t consider her a nun and also want an investigation about the financial sources of the brother and family of the nun,” he reiterated.

George had crossed all limits as he went on to insult the victim nun and the other nuns who took part in the sit-in protest in Kochi. In a press meet here on Saturday, the MLA questioned the moral side of the nun. Is there any doubt that the nun is a prostitute? asked George to the reporters. “12 times she enjoyed. The 13th time it became rape. Why she didn’t complain in the first time,”

He said that the victim nun is not eligible to be a nun as she has ceased to be a virgin the day she was abused for the first time. He also questioned the morality of the nuns who protested in Kochi. He had said that if the nuns are subjected to medical examination, one can know "how many of them are chaste".

Cheers Image
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Pope to meet US Bishops in Rome over sex abuse (audio item)
https://www.wnyc.org/story/pope-meets-u ... -sex-abuse

Posting here because the item mentions that the Church used to claim that the sex abuse problem that became highlighted after the Boston scandal of years ago was a problem peculiar to America. But scandals have erupted in Chile, France, Australia, and "yesterday" in Germany it was reported that some 1700 clerics abused 4000 minors over a period of 7 years.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Is it not possible for the Government/Immigration authorities in India to demand that before a Xtian missionary/pastor/priest from outside of the country is allowed in, that they must produce a official letter from the Police/church authority in their Home country that they have never been investigated/suspected/convicted or anyone in their church/group for sex offences?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

My son joined Boys scout when he was 8. I took him to few camps. Then I heard about how close Boys and girls scout are with Catholic churches and with all the pedophilia going on. I took him out when he was 10.

Regarding dealing with evangelism I tell them that We are Dharmic people and for us Jesus is just like Guru Nanak dev aka a Guru aka a Teacher from whom we must learn and follow.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Peregrine wrote:Kerala MLA PC George withdraws prostitute' remark against nun, refuses to regret - Jaikrishnan Nair

KOTTAYAM: Kerala MLA P C George has said that he is withdrawing the “prostitute” remark which he made about the nun who had lodged a complaint of sexual abuse against Jalandhar Bishop Franco Mulakkal. Speaking to TOI on Wednesday, George said that he is only withdrawing the word and the rest of the remarks made in the press conference remains the same.

"I have no regret about passing such a comment. But I am withdrawing the word as it was not right to use the word. But I am reaffirming the rest of the remarks made in that press conference,” he said. “I don’t consider her a nun and also want an investigation about the financial sources of the brother and family of the nun,” he reiterated.

George had crossed all limits as he went on to insult the victim nun and the other nuns who took part in the sit-in protest in Kochi. In a press meet here on Saturday, the MLA questioned the moral side of the nun. Is there any doubt that the nun is a prostitute? asked George to the reporters. “12 times she enjoyed. The 13th time it became rape. Why she didn’t complain in the first time,”

He said that the victim nun is not eligible to be a nun as she has ceased to be a virgin the day she was abused for the first time. He also questioned the morality of the nuns who protested in Kochi. He had said that if the nuns are subjected to medical examination, one can know "how many of them are chaste".

Cheers Image
By a similar logic, did the bishop not cease to be a bishop from the day of his first encounter which must have been long, long before the one that he has now been accused of??
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... is/570208/
The Sex-Abuse Scandal Is Growing Faster Than the Church Can Contain It
The Catholic world is struggling to absorb a week of new revelations and resignations.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The disgusting male chauvinism displayed by politicos in this instance, degrading nuns in such a gross indecent manner, and the attitude of the clergy closing ranks before a proper investigation has been conducted, reminds me of the the followers of the Dera Sacha Saudha trickster and sexual abuser who fell from grace.

Like the cardinal of Oz, who was also accused of abuses and resigned leaving the Vatican to fight his case in the courts, the bishop is Q would do well to follow his superior's example if he is truly innocent! Just because the nun in Q is seen in pics with the bishop does not mean that he is innocent...or guilty,or that she is makinb false allegations, but compelling evidence that he " knew her well".The Q on everyone's mind is whether he " knew her" well in the Biblical sense! :D
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Philip wrote:The disgusting male chauvinism displayed by politicos in this instance, degrading nuns in such a gross indecent manner, and the attitude of the clergy closing ranks before a proper investigation has been conducted, reminds me of the the followers of the Dera Sacha Saudha trickster and sexual abuser who fell from grace.
The drama of both Kerala Govt and Kerala Police in the nun v/s bishop case is now even irritating many Christians who wish to keep their religion in their homes. The recent cases against the clergy have clearly exposed them as a "power group" and "manipulators" who now have the clout to even interfere in the workings of a democratically elected government. We must also understand that how "information sharing" has now changed big time in India. Social media in KL is quite active on highlighting one fact; The "communal" governments of BJP in North India did not have any pangs to execute the arrest of Hindu & Sikh saints (?) like Asharam Bapu and Dera Sacha Sauda chief. It is the "secular communist atheist" government of KL which is pi$$ing in its pants when it comes to arresting a Bishop.

Murders involving clergy men were not really uncommon in Kerala. There was a case way back in 1966, in which the priest accused of murder was acquited of the crime. He was even given a Sainthood. The Jolly murder case of 1984 was another major scandal at that time. The accused was a priest from the Orthodox sect, and he was punished by the courts. Then there was the case of Fr. Anthony Lazar using hired goons to murder a Marykutty with whom he had an affair. He too was prosecuted and given a life sentence. It was the Abhaya Case which happened way back in 1992, which started changing the narratives. That case still has not got any where. Mainly because even in the initial stages the powerful clergy had managed to scuttle the case and keep it away from the glare of media. In this case the clergy played any game possible to get the nun and two padres out of the list of accused. At that point of time social media etc. was not even in existence, and the clergy could use their clout on the media houses, governments and the police.

But the latest case of the nun v/s bishop, times have certainly changed. The clergy is once again closing ranks; with the Missionaries of Jesus even displaying the photograph of the nun who is the victim. They are not supposed to reveal the identity of the victim in such cases, but yet they went ahead and did it. Now looks like Vatican is getting involved; but that should only be on religious matters.

Mean while; while the Roman Catholic clergy is fighting this case that has not stopped the Orthodox & Jacobite sects having a big fight over the rights on churches.
Dispute between Orthodox-Jacobite factions at Kattachira; Prohibitory orders enforced.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Pope says Church can no longer tolerate silence on abuse

VATICAN CITY: Pope Francis said on Saturday that silence on sexual abuse can “no longer be tolerated” as he ordered an investigation into Vatican archives concerning former archbishop of Washington Theodore McCarrick, who resigned in July.

“Both abuse and its cover-up can no longer be tolerated,” said Francis in a Vatican statement in which he declared the Church had to tackle “the grave scourge of abuse within and beyond” the institution.

The case of McCarrick triggered a storm in August after Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, a former Vatican envoy to Washington, dropped a bombshell letter accusing the pope of ignoring allegations about the prominent US cardinal, one of the most senior Catholic leaders to face abuse allegations.

Pope calls meeting of key bishops on sexual abuse: Vatican

Following Vigano’s letter, US groups representing survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests urged the Vatican to publish a list of clerics accused of sexual assault.

Saturday’s Vatican statement said Francis was “aware of and concerned by the confusion that these accusations are causing in the conscience of the faithful.”

The statement added: “Both abuse and its cover-up can no longer be tolerated” and said the Church had a duty “to prevent such crimes from being committed in the future to the harm of the most innocent and most vulnerable in society”.

The statement also underlined that Francis had in an August letter to Catholics stated that “the only way that we have to respond to this evil that has darkened so many lives is to experience it as a task regarding all of us as the People of God.

Pope meets with US church leaders over clergy sex abuse

“This awareness of being part of a people and a shared history will enable us to acknowledge our past sins and mistakes with a penitential openness that can allow us to be renewed from within,” said the statement.

Regarding McCarrick, the Vatican said Francis “has decided that information gathered during the preliminary investigation be combined with a further thorough study of the entire documentation present in the Archives of the Dicasteries and Offices of the Holy See … to ascertain all the relevant facts, to place them in their historical context and to evaluate them objectively.”

The Vatican concluded the Holy See recognised “it may emerge that choices were taken that would not be consonant with a contemporary approach to such issues” but that, as Francis said in 2015, “we will follow the path of truth wherever it may lead.”

Cheers Image :D
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

https://www.news18.com/news/india/jalan ... 15875.html

Jalandhar priest Who Filed Complaint Against Rape-Accused Bishop Franco Mulakkal Found Dead
New Delhi: Father Kuriakose Kattuthara, a priest of the Jalandhar diocese who had filed a complaint against rape-accused bishop Franko Mulakkal, was found dead on Monday morning. His family has raised suspicions and is set to file a police complaint in connection with the death.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

habal wrote:https://www.news18.com/news/india/jalan ... 15875.html

Jalandhar priest Who Filed Complaint Against Rape-Accused Bishop Franco Mulakkal Found Dead
New Delhi: Father Kuriakose Kattuthara, a priest of the Jalandhar diocese who had filed a complaint against rape-accused bishop Franko Mulakkal, was found dead on Monday morning. His family has raised suspicions and is set to file a police complaint in connection with the death.
The post mortem should be done in a non congi controlled state or a hospital like AIIMS but definitely out of punjab.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

please note he was the primary witness for the nuns.

Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

habal wrote:please note he was the primary witness for the nuns.
Abhaya case redux?? :(. Hope these incidents do not die out due to the Sabari Mala issue. But all said and done, it is very difficult to prove that Bishop Franco raped some one, especially as the incidents happened a few year back.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... -solution/

Rod Dreher, "The Church’s ‘Geographic Solution’"
November 9, 2018
Back in 2003, I had a conversation with a Dallas plaintiff’s lawyer who had been involved in sex abuse lawsuits against the Catholic Church. She told me that the Church was going to be hit with a second wave of abuse lawsuits once the Latino community started facing up to what priests had done to them.

She explained that it was hard to get Latino Catholics to talk about the scandal, and about clerical sex abuse that had happened in their communities. There were various reasons for this; I recall the lawyer telling me that there was a lot more shame about it within Latino culture, and also priests were held in much higher regard than in Anglo culture. Sooner or later, she said, it’s going to come out.

I wonder if we are starting to reach that point.
From NPR:
Catholic Church leaders in Los Angeles for years shuffled predator priests into non-English-speaking immigrant communities. That pattern was revealed in personnel documents released in a decades-old legal settlement between victims of child sex abuse by Catholic priests and the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

Now clergy sex abuse victims throughout California are calling on the state’s attorney general to investigate clergy abuse and force church officials to release more information about their role covering it up. The goal is to discover how wide-spread the practice of hiding abusers in immigrant communities really was.

Manuel Barragan was one of those victims.
More:
DeMarco says that settlement forced local Catholic officials to turn over thousands of pages of personnel files on accused priests. Those files showed how higher-ups repeatedly sent predators into communities where they knew people were less likely to speak up.

“Blatant statements as to ‘there is no need to take corrective action, because folks who were undocumented won’t report,'” DeMarco says. “That’s in some of these files.”

There are dozens of examples of immigrant communities thrown under the bus.

“This is complete pattern,” says Patrick Wall, a legal advocate who coined the term ‘the geographic solution’ to describe the church’s actions.

Back in 2002, I wrote about Father Robert Larson, a serial molester in the Diocese of Wichita. There were five — five! — suicides of young men who had been his victims. Larson died in prison a few years back, and I noted that here. Excerpt:
Hearing of Larson’s death gets to me, because I well remember the telephone conversation I had with Horace Patterson on the day I interviewed him for that NRO article. He described to me sitting on his front porch after having received the news by phone of Eric’s suicide. He watched his wife Janet driving up the lane towards the house, knowing what he was going to have to tell her when she arrived.

Something inside me broke when I heard that story. I was at the time a relatively new father; my son was not yet three. I imagined myself in Horace’s chair on that day. I imagined myself in the places of all the parents of Father Larson’s dead. What would I say to the bishop(s) who allowed Father Larson to remain in ministry, knowing what he was? What would I say to the diocesan officials who repeatedly lied to mothers and fathers about this monster the diocese allowed to come into their midst and prey on their children?

After this essay appeared online, I heard from a Vietnamese-American man who said he was one of the boat people refugees that Father Larson had responsibility for. He too had been molested by the priest, but like so many of the other boys, he did not have the language to tell others what was happening to him. And he was a child in a foreign land. He was scared. They all were.

And the Diocese of Wichita let this happen to them.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

^^ For the above article, there's an interesting comment by Lee Podles. Podles is the author of perhaps the best book on the pedophilia/pederasty/infidelity crisis, "Sacrilege: Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church" (2008). Curiously, he remains a Roman Catholic. As an Orthodox Christian, I don't understand that, but I do respect Podles for his investigative work.

https://www.amazon.com/Sacrilege-Sexual ... =sacrilege
Sacrilege explores the deep roots of the Catholic Church's sexual-abuse scandal, revealing its full depth and breadth. In horrifying yet necessary detail, former federal investigator Leon Podles surveys the full extent of the damage, showing how victims were failed by bishops, laity, therapists, police, courts, press, and even popes. Examining the history behind today's headlines, Dr. Podles reveals how centuries-old theological errors encouraged blind submission to hierarchy, by making obedience to authority the highest virtue. He also shines a light on the new theological errors, popularized since Vatican II, that glorify every type of sexual expression--including pedophilia. Sacrilege will prove an essential resource for all those concerned with the history and future of Catholicism.
https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... nt-8799542

Lee Podles says:
November 9, 2018 at 10:33 am
When I was researching my book, I too noticed that pattern: abusive priests were disproportionately assigned to Latino, Native American, and Aleut communities. Sometimes the children could not speak English, or they did not have the English words to describe what was done to them, or they feared going to the police. Some communities were isolated and had no one to report to.

The Jesuits abusers in Alaska justified their abuse by claiming that child-adult sex was accepted in the native communities.

This is one reason I find the Catholic language about “preferential option for the poor” not only to be sheer hypocrisy but to be (inadvertently?) a double entendre.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

Rod Dreher, December 29, 2018, "Trust in the Church"

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... -sex-abuse
A Catholic friend asks me what expectations I have for the big Vatican meeting in February about the sex abuse scandal. The answer? None.

The fact that Pope Francis made Chicago’s Cardinal Blase Cupich one of the four organizers was a tipoff that this is more likely to be window dressing than anything substantive.
I could be wrong.

Why does Cupich’s involvement send such a bad signal? For a couple of related reasons ....

Cupich was bishop of Spokane from 2010 through 2014, when he was named by Pope Francis to be cardinal archbishop of Chicago. Why was he protecting those Jesuits, and not the safety of the Gonzaga community? You want to know how bad these Jesuits were (the last accused abuser was moved out of the house in 2016)? From the Spokane Spokesman-Review:
The Rev. James Poole seemed like the cool priest in Nome, Alaska. He founded a Catholic mission radio station that broadcast his Jesuit sermons alongside contemporary pop hits. A 1978 story in People magazine called Poole “Western Alaska’s Hippest DJ. Comin’ at Ya with Rock’n’Roll ’n’ Religion.”

Behind the radio station’s closed doors, Poole was a serial sexual predator. He abused at least 20 women and girls, according to court documents. At least one was 6 years old. One Alaska Native woman says he impregnated her when she was 16, then forced her to get an abortion and blamed her father for raping her. Her father went to prison.

Like many other Catholic priests around the country, Poole’s conduct with young girls was well-known to his superiors. A Jesuit supervisor once warned a church official that Poole “has a fixation on sex; an obsession; some sort of mental aberration that makes him see sex everywhere.”

But the last chapter in his story reveals a twist in the Catholic abuse scandal: Poole was sent to live out his retirement years on Gonzaga University’s campus in Spokane.

For more than three decades, Cardinal Bea House near Gonzaga’s campus served as a retirement repository for at least 20 Jesuit priests accused of sexual misconduct that predominantly took place in small, isolated Alaska Native villages and on Indian reservations across the Northwest, an investigation by the Northwest News Network and Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting has found.
Read the whole story. These alleged abusers had free rein of the Gonzaga campus. Bishop Cupich knew about them.

This wasn’t in 2002 or before; this was seven years ago. People are supposed to believe that now-Cardinal Cupich can be trusted to clean up this mess? Really? Of all the cardinals Francis could have chosen to help organize this meeting, he made Cupich one of the four?
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Catholic priests have been preying on nuns for sex and raping them for decades in churches across India, investigation finds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... India.html
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1ICcd ... e=youtu.be

How Christian missionaries converting hindus in India Part I

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Behind the radio station’s closed doors, Poole was a serial sexual predator. He abused at least 20 women and girls, according to court documents. At least one was 6 years old. One Alaska Native woman says he impregnated her when she was 16, then forced her to get an abortion and blamed her father for raping her. Her father went to prison.
Wow! This is exactly what one priest in Kerala tried to do. The case was all over the news. Only difference being the perp got caught before he escaped and the lies revealed.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they have a printed playbook of standard tactics to use in such cases, distributed to priests all over the world by the Vatican itself.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I doubt it lest a rogue padre find he is more comfortable banging on the damaru again.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Idaho Priest Who Wanted To ‘Rape And Kill Children’ Sentenced To 25 Years For Child *****

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... UFOuZeGCk0
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

"Bottom line: Christianity is often a perverse and despicable enterprise, and nothing demonstrates that more than Pastor Andy Savage and the good folks at Highpoint Church in Memphis, Tennessee."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... oM81ibxFpo
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

Rod Dreher, "Francis the Fake Reformer"
https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... zanchetta/
While the new Frederic Martel book, and this weekend’s big Vatican conference on sex abuse, tries to paint Pope Francis as a reformer trying to make the Church less of a gay whorehouse, this new report from an Argentine newspaper tells a different story.
https://onepeterfive.com/hot-photos-the ... moted-him/
An Argentine newspaper, El Tribuno, the first one to have reported on the Zanchetta case, published documents on Thursday [February 21] that demonstrate how bishops, the cardinal primate of Argentina, the nuncio, the Vatican, and the pope himself personally knew since 2015 about the case of a bishop who now faces a serious criminal charge of sexual abuse. In the last few days, the case has arrived in civil court, with a criminal accusation made by the victims of the former bishop of Oran. Based on photographs from a 2016 report, signed by five priests, three of whom are former diocesan vicars, it appears clear that Gustavo Zanchetta was accused not only of having obscene pictures of homosexual sex on his cell phone, but also of molesting seminarians, of not having registered the sale of an important piece of property in the diocese, and of immoral behavior related to both the finances and the people of the Diocese of Oran.
According to El Tribuno, the Pope moved the disgraced and abusive Zanchetta to a Vatican slot because he wanted to show him mercy. Remember, as a Vatican diplomat, Monsignor Battista Ricca was caught in an elevator with a rent boy, was beaten up in a gay bar, and had a string of gay affairs while serving in Latin America. Francis rehabilitated him, and put him in charge of dealing with the Vatican Bank. When Francis was asked about his having given Ricca a key Vatican position despite his disgraceful behavior, the Pope said, “Who am I to judge?”

If you think Pope Francis can be trusted as a reformer, ask the priests and seminarians who reported this McCarricky cretin to their superiors, who then reported it to the Pope — who showered this abuser with “mercy.” What a fraudulent pageant going on in Rome right now, in the name of reform!
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Kerala nun rape case: Don't force us to hit the streets again, nuns to Kottayam SP - Jaikrishnan Nair

KOTTAYAM: Don't force us to hit the streets again. Don’t create a situation where we are forced to begin an indefinite strike again, requested Sr Anupama after she along with the three other fellow nuns of Kuravilangad convent met Kottayam SP Hari Sankar on Saturday.

The nuns met the SP at his office with the complaint regarding the delay in the filing of the charge-sheet in the Bishop Franco case. The SP assured them that the charge-sheet will be filed in 3-4 days. As the charge-sheet is delayed, the pressure is Lissy Vadakkel is mounting on witnesses in the case especially Sr Lissy Vadakkel, told Sr Anupama to the SP. She also said that the health condition of the nun, key witness, is being made worse by not providing medicines and food at the convent where she stays, Sr Anupama added.

The SP said that he hopes that the chargesheet would be filed at the earliest, told Sr Anupama to reporters after meeting the SP.

When asked about the reason for the mounting pressure, Sr Anupama said that the reason could be the political and financial influence of Bishop Franco.

In the complaint letter written jointly by Sr Anupama, Sr Josephine, Sr Alphy, Sr Ancitta and Sr Neena Rose, the nuns have requested action on two things. One is filing of charge-sheet at the earliest and second is ensuring their safety. They have pointed out that they are helpless and don't know how long they can withstand the pressure. They have also said that the delay in the chargesheet have saddened them and have created fear in them.

Earlier, the four nuns who are supporting the survivor, who are also key witnesses in the case against Bishop Franco were asked to join different convents in Punjab, Jharkhand Bihar and Kannur. Another nun who had stood with them was asked by the church to appear before the authorities in Jalandhar where at present Franco is residing and explain her actions. All five of them are key witnesses to the case.

Following this, the survivor nun and the five fellow nuns wrote to the Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan seeking his intervention to ensure that they could live in the convent in Kuravilangad till the trial of the case is over, considering their safety. However, there was no response from the CM.

Finally, the Catholic Church responded to the plea of the nuns and assured them that they will not be transferred from the convent in Kuravilangad as long as they are needed for the court case. Bishop Agnelo Rufino Gracias, Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus of Mumbai, who was appointed as the Apostolic Administrator of the diocese of Jalandhar by Pope Francis, wrote to the nuns regarding this. In an email letter, the Bishop said that there will be no move from the diocese to oust them from Kuravilangad convent.

Cheers Image
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Revealed: Irish bishop was accused of raping his own niece when she was just five and faced another two accusations of child sexual abuse before his death

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -five.html
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

No surprises.

‘Sex crimes committed on impulse, offenders deserve chance for reform’, Catholic priests oppose death penalty for paedophiles
https://www.opindia.com/2019/07/sex-cri ... edophiles/

The NDA government recently amended the POCSO Act to enable the Courts to handout stricter punishments to those who commit sexual crimes against children. Apart from fines and imprisonment to curb child *****, the amendments also include the death penalty as the maximum punishment for acts of paedophilia.

While the move was appreciated by all quarters and assurances were sought that the provisions will be implemented strictly, one institution was not too happy with the prospect. Catholic leaders have come out and asserted that the Church cannot support the provision for death sentences for child sex offenders due to its ‘pro-life’ stand.

The Catholic Church is against the death penalty for any crime, said Bishop Jose Chittooparampil of Rajkot. “The Catholic Church’s official stand is pro-life, considering life as a gift from God,” he told ucanews.com. “It cannot back executions because God is the master of life. The Church believes in the transformation of even hard-core criminals.”
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

darshan wrote:No surprises.

‘Sex crimes committed on impulse, offenders deserve chance for reform’, Catholic priests oppose death penalty for paedophiles
https://www.opindia.com/2019/07/sex-cri ... edophiles/

The NDA government recently amended the POCSO Act to enable the Courts to handout stricter punishments to those who commit sexual crimes against children. Apart from fines and imprisonment to curb child *****, the amendments also include the death penalty as the maximum punishment for acts of paedophilia.

While the move was appreciated by all quarters and assurances were sought that the provisions will be implemented strictly, one institution was not too happy with the prospect. Catholic leaders have come out and asserted that the Church cannot support the provision for death sentences for child sex offenders due to its ‘pro-life’ stand.

The Catholic Church is against the death penalty for any crime, said Bishop Jose Chittooparampil of Rajkot. “The Catholic Church’s official stand is pro-life, considering life as a gift from God,” he told ucanews.com. “It cannot back executions because God is the master of life. The Church believes in the transformation of even hard-core criminals.”
Thats news to me! Church and pro-life? Thousands have been burnt on stake at Papal orders in history especially S.American native Indian tribes, Goa, not to mention killings of falsely accused heretics in Europe’s dark age.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Priests accused of sex abuse turned to under-the-radar group
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pri ... p-64626104

The visiting priests arrived discreetly, day and night.

Stripped of their collars and cassocks, they went unnoticed in a series of tiny Midwestern towns as they were escorted into dingy warehouses and offices. Neighbors had no idea some of them might have been accused sexual predators.

For nearly two decades, a small nonprofit group called Opus Bono Sacerdotii has operated out of unmarked buildings in rural Michigan, providing money, shelter, transport, legal help and other support to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Catholic priests accused of sexual abuse.

And while powerful clerics have publicly pledged to hold the church accountable for the crimes of its clergy and help survivors heal, some of them arranged meetings, offered blessings or quietly sent checks to this organization that backed the abusers, The Associated Press has found.

Catholic leaders say the church has no official relationship with the group. But Opus Bono successfully forged networks within the church hierarchy.

The Associated Press unraveled the continuing story of Opus Bono in dozens of interviews with experts, lawyers, clergy members and former employees, along with hundreds of pages of documents obtained through Freedom of Information requests.

In recent months, two of the group's founders, Joe Maher and Peter Ferrara, were forced out after Michigan's attorney general found Opus Bono had misused donated funds and misled contributors. A third co-founder, Father Eduard Perrone, was abruptly removed from ministry earlier this month after the AP began asking about an allegation that he had sexually abused a child decades ago. Perrone denies the allegation.

Over the years, Opus Bono brought on as employees or advisers at least three clergymen accused of sexual abuse, and offered sympathizers a tax-deductible, anonymous method of sending money to specific accused priests.

When serial pedophile Jason Sigler, a former priest, was sent to jail for abusing dozens of minors, Opus Bono was there for him, with regular visits and commissary cash, said a former employee. When another priest, Gregory Ingels, was criminally charged with abusing a teen, Opus Bono made him a legal adviser.

The group's current and former leadership did not respond to questions from the AP.

In 2003, the fledgling group won backing from influential Roman Catholics, including Father Richard John Neuhaus, the editor of a conservative Catholic journal who served as an unofficial adviser to President George W. Bush, and Cardinal Avery Dulles, the son of a former U.S. Secretary of State. Dulles was a preeminent conservative Catholic theologian.

Maher met with Vatican officials in Rome, and had visits from them in his group's Michigan offices.

Still, since 2002, Opus Bono has played a little-known role among conservative Catholic groups that portray the abuse scandal as a media and legal feeding frenzy. These groups contend the scandal maligns the priesthood and harms the Catholic faith.

Opus Bono established itself as a counterpoint to the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests and other groups that have accused the church of trying to cover up the scandal and failing to support victims of clergy misconduct. Opus Bono focuses on what it considers the neglected victims: priests, and the church itself.

"All of these people that have made allegations are very well taken care of," Opus Bono founder Maher said in a radio interview, contending that many abuse accusations lodged against priests are false. "The priests are not at all very well taken care of."

As part of the legal settlement earlier this year with the state attorney general, Maher agreed to never again run a nonprofit in Michigan. But that agreement appears to have already been violated: He is now running a near-identical nonprofit group in a different part of the state, the AP found.

The new group is called Men of Melchizedek, a reference to an Old Testament figure who was thought to be both a king and a priest. It is registered in Indiana, but its website says its "principal office" is located in Michigan. The group lists Maher as its president.

In a March letter to the Michigan attorney general, Maher's attorney described him as a case worker whose labors "are a corporal and spiritual work of mercy; it is how he practices his Catholic faith." The letter said the new group will provide the same services as Opus Bono, but warned that "more vulnerable beneficiaries may be lost to suicide during the transition."

Both Opus Bono and Men of Melchizedek now list the same canon lawyer, the Rev. David L. Deibel, as their chairman.

Deibel, Maher and Maher's attorneys did not return multiple messages from the AP.

On its website, the new group promises "non-judgmental support and life-time accompaniment for our priest-clients who are so very much in need."

"We turn no priest away," it says.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Upholland school priest jailed for sexual abuse of boys
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-49168100
A priest who "systematically and horrifically" sexually abused schoolboys at a Catholic seminary in the 1970s and 1980s has been jailed.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Activist Italian priest arrested on charges of abusing young men
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-europe/20 ... young-men/
ROME - An Italian priest known for involvement in his community was placed under house arrest by local authorities on Wednesday, on charges of allegedly drugging and sexually abusing adult members of his parish.

“The news of the arrest of Father Stefano Segalini and the precautionary measures applied by the judiciary pain us deeply,” said Father Luigi Chiesa, Vicar General of the Diocese of Piacenza-Bobbio in northern Italy where the events allegedly took place, in an August 1 statement.

Specifically, the charges involve drugging and giving alcohol to young men who attended events at the parish until they were incapacitated, in order to sexually abuse them.

Portland, Oregon archdiocese settles 8 abuse cases for $4M
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2 ... es-for-4m/
PORTLAND, Oregon- The Archdiocese in Portland, Oregon, will pay a total of nearly $4 million to eight individuals who alleged they were molested by a priest in the 1970s and 1980s on the Oregon coast, a newspaper reported Thursday.

The settlement resolves lawsuits claiming sexual abuse by Father Pius Brazauskas, who died in 1990, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported.

The lawsuit marked the first time anyone publicly named Brazauskas as an alleged child abuser, said the men’s attorney, Peter B. Janci. Most of the eight individuals had served as altar boys, Janci said.

Portland’s archdiocese was the first Catholic diocese to file for bankruptcy in 2004 over sex abuse allegations after settling more than 100 cases. By the time the bankruptcy was complete three years later, the archdiocese had settled over 300 claims and paid out nearly $90 million in claims and attorney fees.

Chile: Jesuits publish inquiry results, confirm abuses by famed priest
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-ameri ... ed-priest/
ROME - While deceased Jesuit Father Renato Poblete Barth was known publicly as a champion of the poor in Chile, an internal investigation funded by the Jesuits revealed that the famed clergyman abused more than a dozen women over a span of nearly 50 years.

The results of the six-month independent investigation, which were announced July 30 by Jesuit Father Cristian del Campo, provincial superior of Chile, concluded that “the abuses of power, of conscience, sexual and other crimes committed by Renato Poblete Barth were sustained by a sort of double life, protected by his public image of a good person.”

“The abuse, transversely, was carried out from a position of power that gave him that image, his enormous network of contacts, and the economic power that he had by autonomously handling important sums of money during many years,” the report said.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Priests accused of abusing deaf Argentine students on trial
https://www.apnews.com/2a97f1a181044f56ac2484dcf27419cb
The 83-year-old Italian priest, along with the Rev. Horacio Corbacho, 59, and Armando Gómez, 63, are being tried for 28 cases of alleged abuse against ex-students at the Antonio Próvolo Institute for Deaf and Hearing Impaired Children in Mendoza province. They face prison sentences of up to 20 years in some cases, up to 50 years in others.

The alleged abuse took place between 2004 and 2016, and the case gained world attention when it emerged that Corradi had faced similar accusations at the Antonio Próvolo institute in Verona, Italy, and Pope Francis had been notified the Italian priest was running a similar center in Argentina.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Nun Who Protested Against Rape-Accused Bishop Mulakkal Dismissed By Christian Congregation
https://swarajyamag.com/insta/nun-who-p ... ngregation
One of the nuns who has been at the forefront of the public criticism surrounding rape-accused bishop Franco Mulakkal of the Jalandhar diocese, Sister Lucy Kalappura, has been dismissed from her congregation, reports The Times of India.

The Fransiscan Clarist Congregation (FCC) has told Kalappura that she has to leave the congregation and also has to give up her religious habit (distinctive religious garb worn by a particular order).

After Kalappura participated in a public protest against Mulakkal with other nuns, she has faced extreme scrutiny by the authorities of her congregation. She has been served by a number of show-cause notices, accusing her of having violated her vows buy purchasing a car, learning to drive, etc.

The order of dismissal also has the assent of the Vatican itself. The letter communicating Kalappura’s dismissal to her also says that she can challenge the said order by appealing to the Congregation of Oriental Churches in Rome.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Forget about utilizing money to prevent abuse and compensating abused. We have score to settle with evangelicalism and need the glamour to blind people’s attention to church abuses. No better way to spend embezzled money in the name of charity than to buy few shiny things.

Iconic glass-paned church converted to Catholic cathedral
https://www.apnews.com/552b9ebb27a94635b6064fe788726992
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) — An iconic glass-paned church in Southern California that once housed a booming televangelist ministry has been transformed into a cathedral to give the region’s Catholics a long-awaited and much larger place to congregate and pray.

The landmark, with a facade made up of nearly 11,000 glass panes, was long known as Rev. Robert H. Schuller’s Crystal Cathedral.

It appears unchanged from the outside. But the cavernous house of worship is covered on the inside with quatrefoil window shades that send sunlight cascading across a stone altar, wooden pews and prominent steel crucifix.

The changes are part of a $77 million makeover to convert the space for Roman Catholic worship by adding features such as the Bishop’s chair and the geometric window shades that draw in light while keeping the 2,100-seat building now known as Christ Cathedral cool and airy under the glaring afternoon sun.

“It would have cost hundreds of millions to build from scratch, and this was a godsend when we were able to get this in bankruptcy,” Freyer said.

The diocese sought to reflect the community’s traditions in the new cathedral. The relics that will be placed in the altar of the church are from martyrs and saints from Vietnam, Mexico and South Korea in addition to North America, reflecting Orange County’s immigrant populations. They also are from St. John Paul II, who was pope from 1978 to 2005.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

A US priest, a Philippine village, and decades of secrecy
https://www.apnews.com/e8c2209aa8144b6c9bc637cb264dcf79
“I should have known better than trying to just have a life,” the priest said in the November 2018 call. “Happy days are gone. It’s all over.”

But, the young man later told The Associated Press, those days were happy only for the priest. They were years of misery for him, he said, and for the other boys who investigators say were sexually assaulted by Father Pius Hendricks.

His accusations ignited a scandal that would shake the village and reveal much about how allegations of sex crimes by priests are handled in one of the world’s most Catholic countries.

Soon after, local authorities arrested Hendricks, 78, and charged him with child abuse. Since then, investigators say, about 20 boys and men, one as young as 7, have reported that the priest sexually abused them. Investigators say the allegations go back well over a decade — though many believe it goes back for generations, and could involve many dozens of boys — continuing until just weeks before the December arrest. Hendricks’ lawyers insist he is innocent.

For nearly two decades, the Philippine church has vowed to confront a looming shadow of clergy abuse.

In 2002, the Philippines’ national conference of bishops ended years of silence to admit that the church faced “cases of grave sexual misconduct” among the clergy. One archbishop estimated that 200 of the country’s 7,000 priests may have committed some form of sexual impropriety. The bishops promised new rules that would “provide steps for profound renewal.”

But in a country home to more than 80 million Catholics and churches that date to the time of Shakespeare, such promises have long disappeared into a haze of tradition, piety and clerical influence that suffuses everything from sex education classes to national politics.

Until about 2013, for example, the church’s own guidelines insisted bishops did not need to report sexually abusive priests to police, saying they had “a relationship of trust analogous to that between father and son.” Media reports and legal action “adds to the pain” in cases of sexual abuse, Manila Cardinal Luis Tagle told the Catholic news site UCAN in 2012. In Asian cultures, he said, it is often better for such cases to be handled quietly, inside the church.

The church’s influence remains vast here, even as it has seen its power chipped away in recent years, weakened by the spread of evangelical missionaries and attacks by the nation’s populist president, Rodrigo Duterte.

Duterte, who says he was sexually abused by a priest while he was a student, has publicly derided bishops as “sons of bitches,” and urged Filipinos to stop going to Mass. Investigators say Duterte is closely watching the Hendricks case.

Prosecutions of accused priests are exceedingly rare here, and convictions are rarer. “No priest in the Philippines has ever been convicted” of child sexual abuse, Bishop Buenaventura Famadico, who oversees a diocese south of Manila, told the Catholic newspaper La Croix last year.By comparison, the group BishopAccountability.org says that since 1990 more than 400 priests have been convicted in the U.S. on child sexual abuse charges.

The local case against the priest would have stalled if U.S. authorities hadn’t started their inquiry, pressuring Philippine authorities to act, according to an investigator involved in the case, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is still under way.

By his late teens, Hendricks was interested in the Franciscans, the Catholic order of brothers and priests known for their long brown robes and centuries of work among the poor.

Hendricks became a Franciscan brother by his early 20s, taking the name Pius. His assignments ranged from the St. Catherine Indian School in Santa Fe, New Mexico to the then-rough Cincinnati neighborhood of Over-The-Rhine, where he helped run a youth boxing club.

Then there were the boys.

They stayed at Hendricks’ house, rode in his car and walked with him through Talustusan, residents say. He gave them gifts ranging from clothing to money to school fees.

“All of us knew about Pius and his boys,” said a former Catholic clergyman who worked with Hendricks for years, and who spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing retaliation from the church.

“Ever since I was young I heard the stories, that he would touch altar boys,” said a longtime village resident, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing backlash from her neighbors.

Even the local prosecutor barely blinked when the case was brought to her.

“I was not really surprised, because he was always with small boys,” said Edna Pitao-Honor. “We were friends, actually. But that ends when he’s facing prosecution.”

Poverty is deeply rooted in Talustusan, where many people get by working on nearby coconut plantations or rice paddies. Others run informal gas stations, selling gasoline in old Pepsi bottles, or operate home groceries where they offer tiny bars of soap and packets of instant coffee for a few cents apiece.

For a village like Talustusan, having its own priest — particularly an American one — meant a financial boost, with donations to rebuild the chapel, and jobs as drivers and clerks. Hendricks became the center of his own small economy, doling out jobs, loans and gifts. He built a little library, where theological texts (The Law of Christ, The Catholic Catechism) sit beside secular fare (two biographies of Justin Bieber, a British royal wedding video).

“We were the only village that had our own priest!” said Ayelina Abonales, 55, one of the group of local women who now fiercely defend Hendricks.

For parents, having a church also meant their sons could earn a little money by serving as altar boys.

In a tradition common in Philippine villages— a custom often observed to this day — altar boys were expected to stay overnight on Saturdays at the priest’s house. That way, they could get up early to prepare for Mass.

Victims say the abuse often started off with Hendricks’ bathing them, then progressing to oral and anal sex. Boys would often be cast aside once they reached their late teens or got involved with girls.

“He got jealous” if someone had a girlfriend, said a teenager from a troubled village family who said he was abused at age 15. The assaults ended after a couple months, the teenager said, when he refused to work as an altar boy.

“I didn’t want him to touch me. I only wanted to work for him,” the 23-year-old said. “But then I was depending on him.”

Things finally changed in 2015 with a case of “tulo” — gonorrhea — which he says he got from Hendricks. After that “I did not let him touch me anymore,” he said.

Most of Hendricks’ accusers are from the lower rungs of the village’s economic ladder, tough-talking teenagers with spiked hair and a love for noisy motorbikes.

Experts say victims can have immense trouble breaking away from their abusers, many of them adept manipulators who have woven themselves deeply into children’s lives.

That confusion is amplified when abusers are priests, often revered as Christ-like figures in the Philippines, and amplified further when the priests are foreigners.

The accusations have divided the village, cutting through friendships and families and isolating the accusers, who say the benefits Hendricks brought — status, money, jobs — blinded villagers to his crimes. Often, the accusers say, they are shunned on the streets by people they have known all their lives.

Numerous priests and brothers and a retired bishop who oversaw Hendricks either declined comment or did not respond to repeated messages. In Cincinnati, the archdiocese has acknowledged Hendricks received some financial support from its missionary office but added a note to its website declaring, “Fr. Hendricks is not, nor has ever been, a priest of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.”

For now, Hendricks is being held in a Manila jail, facing Philippine and U.S. child abuse charges that could put him in prison for decades. U.S. Attorney Benjamin Glassman in Cincinnati, who filed the American charges, calls them “very serious, very disturbing allegations.” U.S. investigators are also looking into whether Hendricks may have been involved in sexual misconduct during his time as a Franciscan brother in New Mexico and Ohio in the 1960s and 1970s.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The joyous gay world Madrassa ul -Romeabad
Training emissaries to Spread The Light in India, no doubt.
Vatican youth seminary scandal grows with new abuse claims
A scandal over alleged sexual molestation and abuse at the Vatican’s youth seminary is growing, with more former papal altar boys alleging inappropriate behavior by priests inside the Vatican walls
By NICOLE WINFIELD Associated Press, November 16, 2019, 2:24 AM

...growing, with more former papal altar boys alleging inappropriate behavior by priests inside the Vatican walls.

Le Iene, an Italian investigative television program, plans to air the new allegations Sunday; the show provided the broadcast to The Associated Press ahead of time. The Vatican announced in September that its criminal prosecutor was seeking to indict a former senior seminarian and the then-rector of the St. Pius X seminary on sexual abuse charges.

The announcement came two years after Le Iene first featured former seminarians who alleged that the senior seminarian, now a priest, had molested teen-age boys who lived inside the Vatican and served as altar boys at papal Masses in St. Peter’s Basilica. The testimony suggested a series of priests, bishops and even a cardinal had covered up the case for years. In the new program, several unnamed former altar boys alleged at least two more priests affiliated with the seminary kissed and fondled three other altar boys in the 1990s. In one case, an alleged victim said a priest sat him on his lap and fondled his penis. In another case, an alleged victim marveled how Le Iene had heard about things he had only told his confessor.

Coupled with previous testimony gathered by Le Iene, the impression given is that of a closed, religious atmosphere in which sexualized touching and groping were normalized for boys as young as 11. In a statement ahead of the program provided to the AP, the Vatican press office said a decision on whether to issue indictments in the original case was “imminent.” The statement said any new elements or evidence of other crimes that emerge would be considered by Vatican prosecutors in a new investigation.

The case concerns the closed world of the St. Pius X youth seminary, located inside a palazzo just a few steps from the Vatican hotel where Pope Francis lives. It serves as a residence for about a dozen boys, aged 11 to 18, who serve as altar boys at papal Masses. The seminary is run by a small Italian religious order, the Opera Don Folchi. The group has lashed out at the allegations as “mud,” a “violent attack on the church” and nothing more than “calumny and falsifications.”
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

How convenient! Keep doing it as God still loves you.

Pope tells Catholics: God loves 'even the worst of us', as Church embroiled in child abuse and financial scandals
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/1 ... embroiled/

Pope Francis has told Catholics that God loves “even the worst of us” in his Christmas message, as the Church remains embroiled in child abuse and financial scandals.

Speaking to thousands of people during Christmas Eve Mass in St Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican, the Argentine pontiff offered an unusually veiled reference to religious controversies.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Le Iene, an Italian investigative television program, plans to air the new allegations Sunday; the show provided the broadcast to The Associated Press ahead of time. The Vatican announced in September that its criminal prosecutor was seeking to indict a former senior semenarian and the then-rectal of the St. Pius XXX seminary on sexual abuse charges.

There that's how it's read by the clergy.