Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by Vayutuvan »

Last edited by Vayutuvan on 20 Oct 2019 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

@realDonaldTrump
2h2 hours ago
More
So now Crooked Hillary is at it again! She is calling Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard “a Russian favorite,” and Jill Stein “a Russian asset.” As you may have heard, I was called a big Russia lover also (actually, I do like Russian people. I like all people!). Hillary’s gone Crazy!
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Manish_Sharma wrote: ... have touched a nerve in hillary
Please consider editing above phrase of your post, Manish Sharma ji. How does "raw nerve of bhillary" sound?!!! :P hai jee?
Done
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

sooraj wrote:@realDonaldTrump
She is calling Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard ..
VERY interesting. :eek: The default expectation was a general snicker at a cat-fight or mud-wrestling between donkey wimmens. Instead what comes across is an actually RESPECTFUL reference to TG, along with the expected crack at HiC. I mean, TG is not complimentary about DT, hain?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

UlanBatori wrote:
sooraj wrote:@realDonaldTrump
She is calling Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard ..
VERY interesting. :eek: The default expectation was a general snicker at a cat-fight or mud-wrestling between donkey wimmens. Instead what comes across is an actually RESPECTFUL reference to TG, along with the expected crack at HiC. I mean, TG is not complimentary about DT, hain?
He’s trolling HiC and the rest of the American Urban Naxal Party. No doubt they will come out with guns blazing on TG.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

cross-posting from cheen dhaga here for a reason. Read carefully b lo and substitute Cash**** for Tea***
Also see the thing about "journalists". Back around 1998-2003 there was a thing called the Rapid Response Team, set up very informally as a Yahoo! group to faciliate fast responses via OpEds (rarely published) and Letters to Idioteers to attacks on desh. ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with desh sarkar. If anything it was set up precisely because the desh Conjulates and Embassies of the time were sitting on their thumbs.

One of the most active non-insane activists there was an associate dean for students at a prominent CA university. Very Moderate, advocating Ahimsa and Peace and Love unlike other entities hu shall not b named.

She also organized a lunch at the Frisco Conjulate to try educating CA lawmakers etc.

Got a vijit from the Beebals W/ Dark Glasses advising her to register as a Phoren Agint. :eek: Not heard a peep out of her since. The cocky and enthusiastic and oh-so-Pure-In-The-King's-English snobs puritans here may want to consider the above with what sobriety they can muster - particularly b4 ranting against gentle postors who use chaste Pingreji.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 21 Oct 2019 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

vijayk wrote: what kind of AHole is this guy
"Veteran". Herrow. 0% Brain, 100% a-hole. Absolutely no ideas. But he had sense enough not to open said hole and try actually answering the question. Surprised that See Enn Enn actually pressed him as much as they did.

This is why I say that 15 of the 19 are indistinguishable. The rest are Warren, Sanders, Yang, TG. KH is now burned-out, also no ideas.
The ONLY worthwhile ideas that I have heard is Universal Medicare - and MUCH better, Yang's $1000/mo universal payment like Indian "Rite 2 (not) Work". Keep ppl at the level where they have enough to live, and some security. Elephants seem to be trying to match the universal medicare concept, so there must be something there - or else they are afraid of the extreme alternatives that donkeys will bring. Both these ideas might win enough votes to turn a narrow race into a landslide.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

State Department exonerates Hillary yet again.
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/1894015

This time it is Trump’s State Department.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

When that whole story is read, the logic appears to be that it is fine for the Secretary of State of the USA to be so disorganized and incompetent that allowing official emails to be sent to all and sundry was nothing systematic or intentional, just habitual incompetence. I don't disagree: successors (or failors) to HiC have taken the incompetence to stunning depths.

Reminds me of 1983 or so. Ariel Sharon sued TIME magazine for an article that basically claimed that he had ordered the gang-rapes/massacres at the Shattilla and Sabra Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon - conducted by Israel's equivalent of Turkey's Moderate Child Beheaders: these were called the Christian Phalangists or something.

The court deliberated heavily and eventually the jury decided that Sharon was right: he had been slandered in effect. But they awarded only $1 in damages to Sharon's reputation (that probably overestimated the value thereof), saying that TIME's Investigative Reporters, Editors and Publishers were incompetent jackasses, nothing deliberate about what they publish. Great "exoneration" indeed!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Apparently he got lots of fundraising in NoCa from Tech Executives yesterday.
Quite a surprise to put money on him.
So could be a VP candidate.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A_Gupta wrote:State Department exonerates Hillary yet again.
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/1894015

This time it is Trump’s State Department.

There is a story to tell about
Ukraine, Libya, Assad, Iraq and Kurds.
All this would require deep dive into the emails.
And not worth the effort as she is spent force.

The Democrat rubric is if they want to attack a foreign power is to scream genocide.
This claim gets the UN to shut up and lines up support for the illegal war.
Illegal as the Congress has to authorize the war.

If they want to attack a politician they scream Russia.
This aligns patriots behind them just like in UN with charges of genocide.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Trouble is, even where they go "P" they have to put up sign saying : "PUTIN IS WATCHING!" :rotfl: And that part is mostly true.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

ramana wrote:Apparently he got lots of fundraising in NoCa from Tech Executives yesterday.
So the ticket would be Pocahontas/Mayor Pete. Both white though. One is a woman. That would be enough.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Vayutuvan wrote:
ramana wrote:Apparently he got lots of fundraising in NoCa from Tech Executives yesterday.
So the ticket would be Pocahontas/Mayor Pete. Both white though. One is a woman. That would be enough.
Pete is gay, married to a man.

As of now, the 2020 election is Trump's to lose. There is no one on the Dem side, other than Tulsi who has the character to wage and win an aggressive pro-active campaign against Trump. Biden is still the most likely nominee, and he will lose badly in the general election, unless Trump finds a way to lose.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vayu, Why you have to bring race into picture?

KLNM, A conservative person told me Biden is like Pence an insurance policy aka back-up.
No one will vote for the policy.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Ramanagaru,

Vayu is wrong. Warren is Indian. :wink:

The RNC’s dream team of Pocahontas and Alfred E. Neuman.
Reminds me of a story when my son was 7 years old. In school he said he was Indian. Another 7 yr old kid asked if he was full blood or half blood? :rotfl: The kid was asking since he was 1/16.

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

ramana wrote:Vayu, Why you have to bring race into picture?

KLNM, A conservative person told me Biden is like Pence an insurance policy aka back-up.
No one will vote for the policy.
Biden may well win the primary and become the candidate. So far, due to several reasons, he is the only candidate with strong support from African American demographic (mostly the churchgoing segment) who are a key factor in the primaries, and do turn out to vote due to mobilization in churches etc. From what I know, this demographic of AfAms are indeed "playing it safe", i.e., buying that backup insurance policy. His strategy is obviously to take a middle-of-the-road stand, and avoid making any major errors.

In the general election, he won't have much chance against Trump, because the impeachment inquiry against Trump will be turned into a story about Biden's corruption. Also, a lot of disappointed left-wing democratic voters won't turn up.

I don't see Sanders becoming the candidate; he has some but not enough AfAm support from younger, "hipster-type" Black voters who can't be trusted to take the trouble to vote. He will go all the way to the convention, as he did in '16.

Warren has a chance, but she is like the physically weak school kid who tries to make up for his inadequacy by cramming all the textbooks and doing all the assignments before time to impress the teacher. She simply doesn't have the temperament to deliver blow-for-blow in a real-time or even quasi-real-time exchange in a rough campaign. Note the way she tried to respond to Trump's Pocohontas taunt by releasing her DNA results. (she should have shouted back about "cadet bone spurs"). Or the way she allows herself to be made to look lying or evasive on her policies in the primary debates. In both cases, she should have punched back, hard. Trump will eat her alive, I'm afraid.

Tulsi is in fact the best candidate by virtue of character and temperament, both more important than doing tons of policy homework beforehand. Yang is also good, since like Tulsi, he is genuinely a unifier, and also because he is forward-looking regarding economy, employment etc. My best-case Democratic ticket is Gabbard-Yang, but I know that will never happen.

it'll be phir ek bar Trump sarkar. Unless Trump blows things in a way that I can't even imagine, or all those cheeseburgers and ice cream at his age catch up with him.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Ambassador William Taylor’s opening statement to Congress: https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... pening.pdf
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

ramana wrote:Vayu, Why you have to bring race into picture?

Ramana ji,

it is not me who is bringing race into the picture. democrats themeselves do that - al the time. they want to have an intersectional candidate. that is the reason why Warren went trough that infamous DNA test. she thought she would use "Native American woman" card. that card got cut into half.

dems do not want to nominate an "old white man". this is well known and articulated by all sundry quite openly. so mayor Pete fits one of the criteria - LGBT. as for Gabbard, she is intersectional but not controllable by the Islamist loving dem movers and shakers. Yang's billion+ works against him. We canot rule out a comeback by Harris. She has a whole lot of money plus winning the popular vote aginst Trump due to CA/NY support for her.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 23 Oct 2019 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

KLNM ji, I will take Biden any day over other democratic candidates. a little bit of personal enrichment is par for the course. Obama was clean during his presidency. Past was not that clear what with the rumours that he was gifted a 500K USD townhome in Chicago by the then Mayor of Chicago (or something like that). I expect Biden to behave if he were to become the POTUS. Trump is Trump.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 23 Oct 2019 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

One CT from right-winger Glenn Beck, if they push Tulsi Gaddbard as independent/thirdparty candidate, she can affect Trump more than she can affect Dems. So there is some CT strategy for what Hillary is spouting on TG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLxqz7srxU
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

UlanBatori wrote:Gen. (Retd) Mattis, USA:
“I tried to bring some peace and order to the places with no organized government, chaotic and warring factions, irrational fears, and toxic hatred. It was hard work, but it wasn’t until I started working in Washington, D.C., that I realized how easy I had it overseas in the combat zone.”

Watch the video

"I’m not just an overrated general. I’m the most overrated general," Mattis says. "I'm honored to be considered that by Donald Trump because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress. So I guess I'm the Meryl Streep of generals, and frankly that sounds pretty good to me."

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1185003190690955265
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I am posting this here not because I endorse this in any way (I DON'T!!!, but the times are such that I have to SAY that!) :eek:

But because it sounds a dire warning about what aam americans are thinking.

A MLB umpire is hardly a wacko survivalist living in a mobile home and pickup truck on beer and tobacky and port strips from the QuickTrip. This is probably someone making a very good living, with a very high level of community respect, enough to order multi-millionaire superstars around on the field. Makes hundreds of snap decisions daily that survive instant floodlit slow-motion scrutiny. Not given to ranting either.

So if this guy feels this way....
The "silent majority" may not be exactly docile indefinitely....
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

UlanBatori wrote:I am posting this here not because I endorse this in any way (I DON'T!!!, but the times are such that I have to SAY that!) :eek:

But because it sounds a dire warning about what aam americans are thinking.

A MLB umpire is hardly a wacko survivalist living in a mobile home and pickup truck on beer and tobacky and port strips from the QuickTrip. This is probably someone making a very good living, with a very high level of community respect, enough to order multi-millionaire superstars around on the field. Makes hundreds of snap decisions daily that survive instant floodlit slow-motion scrutiny. Not given to ranting either.

So if this guy feels this way....
The "silent majority" may not be exactly docile indefinitely....
Doesn't mean all that much.

Plenty of far-right-wingers in MLB, it's an old tradition. This guy is not some canary in the coal mine, so there is no need for any extra dhoti-shivering.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

An interesting point being made by Crenshaw which our Indian feminists seem to have completely missed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_ ... _critiques
In Mapping the Margins, Crenshaw illustrates her point using the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill controversy. Anita Hill accused US Supreme Court Justice nominee Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment; Thomas would be the second African American judge on the Supreme Court. Crenshaw argues that Hill was then deemed anti-black in the movement against racism, and although she came forward on the feminist issue of sexual harassment, she was excluded because when considering feminism, it is the narrative of white middle-class women that prevails.[11] Crenshaw concludes that acknowledging intersecting categories when groups unite on the basis of identity politics is better than ignoring categories altogether.
It is important to read people like HL Mencken, Schlesinger, and the classical writers like Thoreau and Mark Twain.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Hill "came out" because Thomas was perceived as an Uncle Thomas. Correctly. He was and is a right-wing elephant, and his rulings have generally gone with the right-wing. It was the same motivation as the recent Cavanaugh battle, for similar purposes: try to keep one side from getting the majority on the SC. In both cases it was to prevent the SC from shifting to the right.
I still don't know if Dr. Hill had an honest case. The trouble was they were ALL ppl who climbed the "ladder" by dubious means - and then "came out" decades later. We have not heard from all the merit-based candidates who were swept aside as these turkeys marched on.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

UlanBatori wrote:I still don't know if Dr. Hill had an honest case.
Come on. Pubic hair on a Coke can? She had an honest case without question (in my mind, that is.)

OTOH, I doubt Justice Kavanaugh's accusers. The whole things stank to high heavens and still stinking.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

From what I'm beginning to see, this time around the impeachment thing may mean serious trouble for Trump.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... em/600724/

As the White House struggles to build an anti-impeachment strategy, President Donald Trump turned this week to Lindsey Graham, his staunchest ally in the Senate, to try to stiffen Republican spines in that chamber. It’s not going the way the president must have hoped.

On Thursday, Graham announced that he’d put forward a resolution condemning the House impeachment inquiry. By mid-afternoon, when he actually announced it, the resolution had been watered down to a plea for a different and more transparent process, apparently a sop to GOP senators unwilling to go quite that far. And yet by Friday morning, only 44 of 53 Republicans in the Senate had signed on to the resolution. A gesture meant to be a show of solidarity by senators has instead become a sign of the weakness of the president’s position.

The Senate was supposed to be Trump’s firewall in the Ukraine scandal, and there’s still not any reason to believe that there would be 67 senators willing to vote to remove the president. But with impeachment in the House an all-but-foregone conclusion, as I wrote earlier this week, the administration is turning its focus to the Senate, and it’s proving to be less of a redoubt than Trump wanted.
Some Republicans have been notably open to an impeachment inquiry, but most have been conspicuously quiet. Some use the time-honored excuse that they’d serve as jurors in a trial and therefore ought not to weigh in; many more are simply dodging questions. What they’re mostly not doing is mounting substantive defenses of the president’s behavior. A Daily Caller canvass found only seven of the 53 Republicans were willing to rule out voting to remove Trump.
There’s little precedent that can help forecast what the political fallout might be. A majority of senators voted to convict President Andrew Johnson, but they fell one vote short of removal; Johnson’s presidency never recovered. More recently, the Senate voted 45–50 and 50–50 to acquit President Bill Clinton, without a majority for conviction in either case. Even so, that result was arguably ruinous for his Democratic Party in the 2000 election. It would be a powerful talking point if Democrats headed into the 2020 campaign season with a vote for conviction in the Senate that had garnered a majority with Republican support, even without removal, so Trump’s worry is rational.
Ultimately, US Senators are opportunistic bandicoots to the marrow of their bones. Not very different from our own bandicoots. The electoral arithmetic is all that matters to them.

If they determine that convicting Trump after the house moves to impeach him will cost them LESS votes in Nov 2020 than refusing to convict... then that is exactly what they will do.

This is one of those phenomena whose outward manifestations occur all-at-once, catastrophically. If it happens, it will seem to happen very suddenly and without warning-- all at once, a large section of Republican Senators will be openly condemning Trump and preparing to convict him in response to the House impeachment vote. Knives out, Julius Caesar style.

But by all accounts a revolt in the Republican Senate has been brewing for a while. Many of these guys have got scr3wed over by Trump's capricious policy fluctuations and unpredictability: Middle-American agro constituencies losing out over the China trade war... old comfortable equations of Senators with various GOTUS departments getting shafted as their department heads are suddenly thrown out and replaced... previously well-connected lobbying groups having to spend money/change tactics overnight/spend all over again as policies change... and most recently a lot of lucrative & electorally important MIC deals going t1ts up with Trump's decision to bring the troops back from Syria (he has faced so much pressure over this that he actually caved and ordered some troops to stay back and guard oil facilities).

The House Impeachment vote may very well be the moment that the Swamp Strikes Back. For establishment Republicans who want their party back the way it was, there could be no better opportunity.

I see a very good chance that a serious Republican contender will emerge (possibly from within the Senate) to challenge Trump for the Republican nomination next year, in a putsch timed to coincide with the passage of the House impeachment vote. So far they have been waiting quietly and sharpening their knives, knowing that any open defiance would just lead to a politically-inconvenient public feud with the President. An election year is the time he can be jumped from the rear while he's campaigning against the Democrats. A successful removal of Trump from office will also completely blindside and destroy the Democratic Presidential campaign (predicated as it would be on a 100% anti-Trump message)... leaving the field clear for the Republican challenger to sweep the polls and become President in 2020. All the more so if the Democratic candidate is some far-left nutjob like Sanders or Warren.

Finally, I do not for one moment believe that the establishment Republicans have been afraid to defy Trump simply because he has "too much support" amongst the Republican "base".

Who says so? Some polls. Must be the very same polls that gave Trump a 17% chance of winning the Presidency in November 2016 :mrgreen:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I was thinking about this (yes I know thinking is criminal in the New Usa) and I do have the following pooch particularly as it applies to those who worry about impact of US actions on India:

The Democrats have the Dog-Chasing-Bicycle Problem (DCBP): what do u do when you win? Say the bicyclist crashes. Here, say Trump actually just wakes up one evening at 2AM and tweets:
I quit. Enough is enough. Moving to Colombia.
(hint: no extradition treaty)

If this happens say this year, u r facing 1+ years of Pence-Raj. Followed by a MASSIVE landslide win for Democrats. House, Senate, WHOTUS. Maybe a few SC judges croak too, enabling a clean sweep of all arms of GOTUS.

Let's Game that, hain? Esp. as it applies to India, y'all now having seen the House South Asia Kakoose in its full cry and fragrance?

Would be a very useful exercise.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Understanding Rep. Ilhan Omar:

Does Ilhan Omar consider Al Qaeda her enemy?
(Video)

US Oath of Citizenship & Oath of Office for elected politicians is very clear: One has to pledge to treat enemies of the US, domestic and foreign, as one's own enemy.

There is often a lot of grey in who is an enemy and why. But I guess most people would agree that Al Qaeda, on its own volition, has made itself an enemy of the US.

With this context, please take some time to watch this linked video and form your opinion.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

RD ji,

You have to take into consideration how much money trump raised. He has 300 million at this point in the game as opposed to Obama's 150 million by at this time.

Democrats don't even have a nominee yet. Recently some of the democratic senators were asked whether it is time for another presidential nominee to be put into the race. This after Hillary claimed that she can beat Trump. One of the senior senators, Sen. Durbin of IL, answered in the positive. If Hillary is foisted again and wins both the popular vote (forgone conclusion) and eleoctoral college, GOP takes the house even if they lose in the senate, there will be impeachment investigation right off the bat.

By the way, look at Wall Street and jobless numbers. The former is up and the latter is down. So Trump actually might win even if impeached. We should not forget down-ballot voting. Donkeystan might lose the house. Senate is problematic for GOP since a lot of the GOP senators are retiring.

On the other hand, we might have house and Senate under dems and a non-trump Republican president. Nothing will get done for next 4 years.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 26 Oct 2019 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Guys, Pence is an ultra extreme EJ. Plus an idiot on foreign affairs. Former Indiana Governor. Land of Dan Burton, Dan Qayle to mention just two einsteins. Except he makes them look moderate. U should talk to some ppl in Indiana about him.

Or.. you could get REAL LUCKY and have the likes of Ilhan Omar and her co-bigots on the Congressional South Asia Kakoose deciding US foreign policy towards India. With Angana Chatterjee as Ambassador to India. Yippeeee!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

BRF Gurus' wish may yet come true:

Antony Davies & James R. Harrigan: Romney-Gabbard might be just the 2020 ticket
A Romney-Gabbard ticket could be based, legitimately, on decency, truthfulness and honor. They could point the American people away from the toxicity that has come to infect American political life and remind us that we are not two countries seeking disparate futures but one people experimenting with different means to the same end.

A Romney-Gabbard ticket is a long shot. But it is a plausible long shot. And a long shot is increasingly what America needs. The ticket would not make party faithful on either side of the aisle happy, but why should they be the final arbiters of who ascends to the presidency? It’s time to make America decent again, and this may be the best way to accomplish that difficult goal.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Kakkaji wrote:BRF Gurus' wish may yet come true:

Antony Davies & James R. Harrigan: Romney-Gabbard might be just the 2020 ticket
A Romney-Gabbard ticket could be based, legitimately, on decency, truthfulness and honor. They could point the American people away from the toxicity that has come to infect American political life and remind us that we are not two countries seeking disparate futures but one people experimenting with different means to the same end.

A Romney-Gabbard ticket is a long shot. But it is a plausible long shot. And a long shot is increasingly what America needs. The ticket would not make party faithful on either side of the aisle happy, but why should they be the final arbiters of who ascends to the presidency? It’s time to make America decent again, and this may be the best way to accomplish that difficult goal.
Romney has no character or honor. I hope Tulsi would never associate herself with him.