Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sonugn
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Sonugn »

mmasand wrote:Another Labour MP raised 'allegations' of human rights in Kashmir, reflecting the concerns of his constituents at PM's Questions. BoJo replies that the govt position is not for us to prescribe what should be done, rather it's a bilateral issue as has always been. For those who are not aware, this is the last week of parliament before they head for elections, so just rhetoric to garner some votes by Labour again.
6 laborers lined up & executed almost point blank, am sure that the learned MP could pressure on his constituents so that they can put pressure on the Pak government to reign its jihaids.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

avatar Singh ji, you break my heart. for some reason, i always look upon Britain as a better place for Indians than the US. it feels very Indian. may be it is because all my favorite authors - Conan Doyle, Christie, RL Stevenson, Walter Scott, Wodehouse, GK Chesterton, le carre, Swift, ... are form there. plus Indians own the place. we have every right to be there and enjoy the fruits of the economy built on the backs of our ancestors.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

Sonugn wrote:
mmasand wrote:Another Labour MP raised 'allegations' of human rights in Kashmir, reflecting the concerns of his constituents at PM's Questions. BoJo replies that the govt position is not for us to prescribe what should be done, rather it's a bilateral issue as has always been. For those who are not aware, this is the last week of parliament before they head for elections, so just rhetoric to garner some votes by Labour again.
6 laborers lined up & executed almost point blank, am sure that the learned MP could pressure on his constituents so that they can put pressure on the Pak government to reign its jihaids.
And lose votes? Are you kidding? Labour is the modern day apotheosis of radical revolutions, haven't you ever pondered why Corbyn was often seen sporting a red tie prior to becoming leader of opposition.
Sonugn
BRFite

Post by Sonugn »

^Point being Labor MP's utterances on HR is just insane & he should STFU.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Vayutuvan wrote:avatar Singh ji, you break my heart. for some reason, i always look upon Britain as a better place for Indians than the US. it feels very Indian. may be it is because all my favorite authors - Conan Doyle, Christie, RL Stevenson, Walter Scott, Wodehouse, GK Chesterton, le carre, Swift, ... are form there. plus Indians own the place. we have every right to be there and enjoy the fruits of the economy built on the backs of our ancestors.
vayutavan ji,
have you been here at all?
Romanticism from authors is nice, but this place does not have the magic of harry potter, dark spells of death eaters may be..
Indians own the place? how???Yes there are Indians, but most of the Indians are as much Indians as native americans are indians. Most of them despise india, modi and what not.
Beyond the beautiful red buses and the clean roads place is rotting due to demographics and is approaching purani dilli fast. A trip to Bow, Whitechapel area, Ilford area is enough if you havent had any experience in cabs.
Yes we must enjoy the fruits on the land irrigated by blood and bodies of our ancestors till we can. Unless there's a right revival, this place will be doomed. Or may be i am too pessimistic about htem and too optimistic about India
Sonugn
BRFite

Post by Sonugn »

Is it true that significant portion of "Indian restaurants" in UK are actually napaki?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

VTji, I hope that was the Effect of John E. Walker posting there.
Alistair McLean, an excellent author, was a 3-star-King racist pig.
Do you know the actual title of Agatha Christie's "Ten Litte ****s"? Initially it was Ten Little Wogs. Referring to us. Then it was changed to Ten Little Ni*****. Again referring to us. Then it was changed to "Ten Little Indians". More PC. Same in "Murder on The Orient Express".
As for Conam Vaalu, read the depiction of the First War of Independence, and many many other depictions of desis in Sherlock Holmes novels. All racist.
Wodehouse somehow did not even recognize the existence of any injuns AFAICR.
Le Carre was frogistani, n'cest pas?
Swift's theme was "cannibals" being killed at will. (IOW South Atlantic Progressive Freedom Fighters) trying to keep the Western Hemisphere clean by inviting Captain Cook 2 become Captain Cooked.

yeah, the place "feels" Indian. Like the New Orleans slave market "felt" like almost a part of west Africa.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Sonugn wrote:Is it true that significant portion of "Indian restaurants" in UK are actually napaki?
More Bangladeshi! Pakis now try to pass off as south asians!
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Sonugn wrote:Is it true that significant portion of "Indian restaurants" in UK are actually napaki?
actually the real " indian" restaurants are few, most are bangladeshi followed by pakistani., the menu gets more interesting :mrgreen:
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Inglaand feels more comfortable because one can be anonymous there.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

UlanBatori wrote:VTji, I hope that was the Effect of John E. Walker posting there.
Alistair McLean, an excellent author, was a 3-star-King racist pig.
Do you know the actual title of Agatha Christie's "Ten Litte ****s"? Initially it was Ten Little Wogs. Referring to us. Then it was changed to Ten Little Ni*****. Again referring to us. Then it was changed to "Ten Little Indians". More PC. Same in "Murder on The Orient Express".
As for Conam Vaalu, read the depiction of the First War of Independence, and many many other depictions of desis in Sherlock Holmes novels. All racist.
Wodehouse somehow did not even recognize the existence of any injuns AFAICR.
Le Carre was frogistani, n'cest pas?
Swift's theme was "cannibals" being killed at will. (IOW South Atlantic Progressive Freedom Fighters) trying to keep the Western Hemisphere clean by inviting Captain Cook 2 become Captain Cooked.

yeah, the place "feels" Indian. Like the New Orleans slave market "felt" like almost a part of west Africa.
our education system also has a lot to do with it. there is an under current of hatred of the gavar indian vs the gora and wanna be gora's.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Vayutuvan wrote:avatar Singh ji, you break my heart. for some reason, i always look upon Britain as a better place for Indians than the US. it feels very Indian. may be it is because all my favorite authors - Conan Doyle, Christie, RL Stevenson, Walter Scott, Wodehouse, GK Chesterton, le carre, Swift, ... are form there. plus Indians own the place. we have every right to be there and enjoy the fruits of the economy built on the backs of our ancestors.
Imagine my state of mind when I first went to UK then, stars in my eyes, was going to the 'mother country' for the first time. All went downhill the moment the immigration officer while looking at my passport muttered under his breath, loud enough for me to hear (I suppose I was meant to) 'why do you people come here?'. Since I was going for the PLAB exam and had all the valid papers, he could not refuse me entry, but boy did that really open my eyes.

I lived there for almost six years and all the time was 'holding my breath'. The US is so much more welcoming for us Desis, it is hard to describe unless you've lived in both places, especially the UK of the 20th century.

And yes, we all loved British writing and music, but once you realize they are talking about you, you begin to feel differently. I also believe American authors and Axemen are just as good -SRV anyone?
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

I have always liked the US much better. In the UK the veneer of politeness tends to hide the racist, patronizing and holier than thou personality lurking underneath - the politeness makes them seem nicer than they are, at least momentarily.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

ArjunPandit wrote:Beyond the beautiful red buses and the clean roads place is rotting due to demographics and is approaching purani dilli fast.
Yup. The UK's big cities are, basically, Pakistan with indoor plumbing and good infrastructure. And things are getting worse, not better, because of demographics. Most of the other countries in Northern/Western Europe have a similar problem of malsification, but with Arabs/North Africans instead of Pakis.

The only European countries that have a good chance of avoiding this malsification problem are Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic, because they see what is happening around them and are quite blunt and hard-nosed in declaring that they don't want malsis immigrating to their countries. For this they are labelled "racist" by the malsi-pasand Europeans, but their attitude is, basically, "F**k you, you look after your country and we'll look after ours". And this attitude is working out pretty well for them, so far. As far as the future is concerned, only time will tell, but we know this -- the malsi-pasand Western Europeans are f--ked, the malsi-averse countries at least have a fighting chance.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The US is so much more welcoming for us Desis,
Knock on wood etc, but first time my Evil 6th coujin & bb returned to the yoo Ess with green card, with extreme concerns all round, the immigration ophishial took one look, smiled and said:
"Welcome back!"
Something not experienced from any ophishial in any immigration / customs in 28 years of life, traveling across borders since Age 0.25. Sincere or not, that made a HUGE difference.
In recent times, Bengaluru immigration ophishials have sometimes been relaxed and smiling even at 2AM. One Chennai wimmens ophishial burst into laughter when bb handed her my passport and vice versa: "Oh you are a pair!" But otherwise all glum with signs proclaiming Severe Punishment for any comments directed at Ophishials etc.
Once I was so flustered at Kocchi that I left my onward tickets at the emigration counter. Realized as soon as I was through into the line after that, and told the worthies that I needed to go back and look for those. Refused: "Tell your airline!" I asked if they would go and ask the aphsar, and there was a guy just leaning and holding up a counter there...and they refused.
I thought, OK, will scratch my head and declare "I didn't KNOW!" like our worthy postors here, at Abu Dhabi, and was trudging on. Suddenly a figure appears in front of me, smiling. The emigration guy at the counter, holding the onward tickets. Oh, I could have kissed him, but I think that would have triggered Severe Punishment.
The Kindness of Strangers. Makes all the difference.

Then again, in Poodlestanis' defence:
We (Supreme HQ and I) went to Scottistan once. Then took a train to the Lake District from e-din-brah. Vijited the dung-smelling pastures where Mullah Wordsworth declared:
Ten Thousand Saw I at A Glance,
Tossing Their Stupid Heads in Drunken Dance!
Came walking back to the town and asked when was the next bus back to the station.
"oh, the last bus is gone for the day!"
oops! Calculations of what that did to the return flight to Mongolia, etc.
"But you can pay 5 shillings (or was it pounds?) and ride in the Mail Van, they will take you!"
Thus it was that we were delivered in the Royal Mail Van sporying the Crown stolen from India, right to the rail station. Friendly-enough people as long as you pay them.

In Edinbra, my colleague the theoretician was talking animatedly to a British Mathematician from the taap college in Londonabad, all of sitting on a wall at the Edinbra univ.
UB, you should REALLY go and see the British Museum in London. It is awesome!
I smiled.
The British Mathematician:
He won't go there. Most things there were stolen from his country
I smiled.
The obviously Retired Military man who drove the taxi to take us back to the airport seemed a bit offended when I tried to offer him a tip. But of course he was stiffly polite.

Back in the late 80s we made the mistake of traveling by TWA. Returning, in Heathrow, I asked the agint at the counter to put us on the right side of the plane, calculating (and I was wrong as usual) that that would be the better way to avoid a headache from the sun heating the window. It was the Raygun Reagan or Dubya-1 era.
Is that a political statement?
:mrgreen:
So they were not without humor.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Primus wrote:
Imagine my state of mind when I first went to UK then, stars in my eyes, was going to the 'mother country' for the first time. All went downhill the moment the immigration officer while looking at my passport muttered under his breath, loud enough for me to hear (I suppose I was meant to) 'why do you people come here?'. Since I was going for the PLAB exam and had all the valid papers, he could not refuse me entry, but boy did that really open my eyes.
I lived there for almost six years and all the time was 'holding my breath'. The US is so much more welcoming for us Desis, it is hard to describe unless you've lived in both places, especially the UK of the 20th century.
And yes, we all loved British writing and music, but once you realize they are talking about you, you begin to feel differently. I also believe American authors and Axemen are just as good -SRV anyone?
I have lived in Germany for 8 years, 2 years in UK and in the US since 1986. While each country has its share of advantages and disadvantages, in my own humble opinion, the US has treated me the best. But as treatment met out to foreigners may change rapidly, due to economic or politics or the attitude of the masses, I hope for the best.
Gautam
Shankas
BRFite

Post by Shankas »

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

ArjunPandit wrote: vayutavan ji,
Only as a tourist. First trip was in 1983. It was racist to the core. Recently we were in London, Cambridge, Harry Potter filming lots, Bath, and WC of course. Visited 221B Bakerstreet on my own while my family went shopping. Had dinner at Veerswamy's at Piccadilly and at some Indian place in Soho. We went to the street famed for Indian restaurants and all were Bengali cuisine run by BD folks.

I don't know. The thing is that we can misbehave with the brits and be total jerks. I did take a leak on the side of Buckingham Palace. There were no bathrooms and I had a pint of London Pride in Srilankan restaurant just a furlong from the Palace. What to do only. In that Srilankan restaurant, two gents were sitting and eating with their hands. Turns out one is the owner and the other his guest who comes there everyday for lunch. I changed a few pound notes for quarters or whatever they are called to put in to Pakistans. There are no free pakistans - either you get directed to McDonalds :mrgreen: or have to use those small change.

Some of the substations were stinking of urine. So, I did feel at home the same way I used to feel at home in Mumbai.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Main difference between Britain and the US is that in the former the Saturday night drunks wear ties. In the latter they carry Saturday Night Specials.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Here is a shameless plug for a book written by a close friend of mine. Highlights the plight of so many of us who went through the system as physicians.

VQE
Sanjiv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sanjiv »

Thanks ordered the book
I have worked in the NHS for 35 years and have had a positive experience generally.
The difference in the UK is I get 8 weeks paid annual leave and 2 weeks study leave and final salary pension
The USA terms are somewhat different I believe.
Sanjiv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sanjiv »

The front bench of the outgoing cabinet was more diverse than any for any Western country
Ethnic minority
Home Secretary
Finance Minister
First Secretary to the Treasury
Overseas development minister
Chairman of the Conservative party
And one other minister of State are all of immigrant
Background
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Sanjiv wrote:Thanks ordered the book
I have worked in the NHS for 35 years and have had a positive experience generally.
The difference in the UK is I get 8 weeks paid annual leave and 2 weeks study leave and final salary pension
Good for you. Several classmates of mine retired a while ago after working for the NHS and are very happy with their 'package'. Most of them were able to adjust to life in the UK, several people I know married local girls which makes a huge difference of course.

I remember the surgeons used to start work at 9AM and be done by 4PM. Nobody came to the hospital on weekends. Most medical Consultants did rounds on the wards twice a week, a 3 hr session with a tea and biscuits break in between, of course with a train of followers - including the 'Sister', 'Staff nurses', Physio, OT, pharmacist, Social worker, Dietitian and of course all of us SHOs and Registrars in tow. His word was law, absolute and immutable. The rest of the time in the week the Consultant did outpatient clinics and 'domiciliary visits'. Very cushy job.

Things are quite different in the US in almost every way imaginable. In the end you pick a place that works for you and call it home.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

I have posted this here before, perhaps in a different thread. Douglas Murray is quite vocal about his views and there are plenty of YT videos of him arguing his point. He may come across as an alarmist, but there is a fair amount of truth in his words, you can have a problem with the messenger, but if the message rings true, then it is time to take notice.

The Strange Death of Europe

Some may believe this is not much different from highly racist trash like 'Camp of the Saints', it nevertheless prompts you to think. There is a slow but sure polarization of Europe into dar-ul-harb and dar-ul-Islam. Unfortunately we will become dar-ul-harb and that is the danger all of us of Hindu origin face.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

NHS discussion is out of scope of BR nevertheless my only comment:
NHS is going to dogs. Waiting list, imaging list, endoscopy list to variety of lists are ballooning.
Small DGH are being closed. Hospitals being shut down one after another in name of centralising services using low quality audits & trash papers.
From India, doctors are not coming to UK any more, yes Pakistani & ME doctors are seen : trying to take up jobs like GP, Psychiatry..competitive branches are out of bounds for non British.
Most of the managerial meetings one hears it is more and more frustrating to work in NHS than before.
Managers galore, in England consultants are being squeezed like oranges.
US is far better any day.
if any one is grumpy about NHS paying less than India, to consultants; you get paid for what you work.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

Isn't it imperative that come one day, people will have to fork out a minimal contribution to see a consultant. Surely, this will prop up American style insurance companies that will work on a minimum 20-30% co-pay for OPD and NHS picks up the tab for essential surgeries. Also, there should be an ambulance cover for false calls or at the very least included in motor insurance.
Kedar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kedar »

I still don't understand why we still have diplomatic relations with these Britshitstanis :evil: :x

The stupid judge herself agrees that there is enough evidence that these two evil low-lives are involved in this double murder. Death penalty is also not on the table as in the US. If Amirkhan says that they will give the death penalty, the poodle will still say yes sir. Yet they may face the life in prison and that is why the judge is refusing to extradite them.

London couple 'arranged for the murder of their adopted 11-year-old India son so they could get a £150,000 life insurance pay-out'
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Primus wrote: There is a slow but sure polarization of Europe into dar-ul-harb and dar-ul-Islam. Unfortunately we will become dar-ul-harb and that is the danger all of us of Hindu origin face.
We will become dar ul harb for muslims and will be confused/mistaken for dar ul islam by ignorant whites. Might get rammed from both sides. Didnt racist britshits called Indians too "paki" in the past ?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Dunno is this was posted before but Boris Johnson's Diwali message was superb

https://mobile.twitter.com/borisjohnson ... 1302714369
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/uk-parl ... topstories
There you go! Mr Vaz is at it again.
I had a patient admitted with 'Foreign body'(pepper-mill) pushed up the back passage on questioning the man said he is not getting much erection hence he tried something after U-tube guidance :D
Wonder Mr Vaz has joined some new 'Tutorial' class again!! :lol:
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the Islamism & Islamophobia Abroad

MPs outraged over magazine column suggesting 'plan to stop Muslims from voting'

MPs have reacted angrily after a right-wing magazine published an article which suggested Muslims should be prevented from voting in the general election.

Writing in The Spectator, columnist Rod Liddle proposed the December poll should have been staged on days “where Muslims are forbidden to do anything”.

Mr Liddle wrote: “My own choice of election date would be a day when universities are closed and Muslims are forbidden to do anything on pain of hell, or something.

“There must be at least one day like that in the Muslim calendar, surely? That would deliver at least 40 seats to the Tories, I reckon.”

Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid leaves 10 Downing Street after attending the weekly Cabinet meeting, in London, Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019.(AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)

Mr Liddle also mentioned Rosie Duffield, the Labour MP who received a standing ovation in the House of Commons last month after emotionally revealing how she had been the victim of domestic abuse. The column described her as the “sobbing and oppressed Rosie ‘#metoo’ Duffield”.

The Chancellor Sajid Javid, Labour MP David Lammy and Brendan Cox, the widower of murdered MP Jo Cox, were among those to voice their opposition to the column soon after its publication.

Mr Javid said Mr Liddle’s words were unacceptable.

“Not clear if the Rod Liddle comment is supposed to be a joke – but it’s not funny and not acceptable,” he tweeted.

“No community in our country should be put down that way.”

Mr Lammy called on the magazine’s editor Fraser Nelson to respond to criticism over the article.

"Mocking Rosie Duffield for having the courage to speak out about domestic abuse and calling for ways to stop British Muslims voting,” Mr Lammy tweeted.

“Rod Liddle is beyond the pale, but Fraser Nelson how can you justify giving his bile a platform on the Spectator?”

Mr Cox wrote: "If you aren’t sure whether this is acceptable, try replacing Muslim with Jew. Then see what you think. It’s disgraceful."

Labour MP Liam Byrne said he had written a letter to the BBC asking them to ensure Mr Liddle and Mr Nelson are never invited to speak on their programmes again.

“Rod Liddle’s disgusting suggestion to disenfranchise Muslim voters is the epitome of Islamophobia – the BBC cannot continue to invite him, or the man responsible for the article’s publication, on their programming,” Mr Byrne tweeted.

Tory David Lidington, who was Theresa May’s de facto deputy prime minister, said he was shocked the Spectator published the story, calling it a “serious lapse of judgement”.

“Mr Liddle’s foul comment isn’t just some bad joke to be dismissed,” he tweeted.

“What’s he saying to British Muslims in our armed forces, police, NHS, schools, factories etc etc? #disgusting.”

The Spectator’s assistant editor Isabel Hardman said she “profoundly disagrees” with Mr Liddle’s piece and was “hugely upset” by it, adding she has “nothing to do” with pieces in the magazine except those she writes herself.

Tell Mama, a charity which supports victims of anti-Muslim hate, said in a statement that the column was “dispicable”.

“This is appalling in the Spectator by Rod Liddle,” the charity wrote on Twitter.

“His suggestions are that Muslims should be unable to vote.

“What do we call that - Outright prejudice. This in 2019, when 3 Muslims have been murdered since 2013 for being - British Muslims. Despicable.”

Rod Liddle himself later wrote on Twitter that he believed his article contained “no hate speech or Islamophobia whatsoever”.

“It was a very light-hearted series of suggestions about when to hold an election, based upon the silly dispute over the proposed dates for the election,” he added, “It was patently a joke.”

Spectator editor Fraser Nelson added to the response: “If one of our columnists seriously suggested that Muslims and students should be prevented from voting, then of course I would denounce it.

“It would be a disgusting thing to say. But Rod Liddle wasn’t doing that. He was satirising the wrangle over the two election dates by making deliberately absurd suggestions.”

Cheers Image
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Cain Marko wrote:Dunno is this was posted before but Boris Johnson's Diwali message was superb
https://mobile.twitter.com/borisjohnson ... 1302714369
Hmm! Never heard BoJo b4. I can c y he can get votes.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Perhaps those Indians in Britain voting Tory know what they are doing.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Kedar wrote:I still don't understand why we still have diplomatic relations with these Britshitstanis :evil: :x
The stupid judge herself agrees that there is enough evidence that these two evil low-lives are involved in this double murder. Death penalty is also not on the table as in the US. If Amirkhan says that they will give the death penalty, the poodle will still say yes sir. Yet they may face the life in prison and that is why the judge is refusing to extradite them.
London couple 'arranged for the murder of their adopted 11-year-old India son so they could get a £150,000 life insurance pay-out'
Evidence is circumstantial and could very well have been pushed by the insurance company who "never paid out". Guys, the very sad reality (Sachinji pls beat me up with counter-evidence) is that in India, conviction rate for serious crimes is very low, and even there, the convicted are often not the actual criminals. One big reason for this is that the investigations are sloppier than in Alabama. The polis too often take the view that they can beat confessions out of anyone, so they first decide whom to declare guilty and then stop the thinking. Sure sure sure there are stellar exceptions, but...

This is what the outside world also knows. Pretty prevalent across most of the world. In this case the "evidence" looks black against this couple, but it is all stuff that could have been framed, and there could be another explanation. For instance, maybe someone was going to rob the 150K from the couple once they got it? All I see here is that someone who was arrested for the murders, knew the couple in Bilayat as a student.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Primus wrote:
Sanjiv wrote:Thanks ordered the book
Good for you. Several classmates of mine retired a while ago after working for the NHS and are very happy with their 'package'. Most of them were able to adjust to life in the UK, several people I know married local girls which makes a huge difference of course.

I remember the surgeons used to start work at 9AM and be done by 4PM. Nobody came to the hospital on weekends. Most medical Consultants did rounds on the wards twice a week, a 3 hr session with a tea and biscuits break in between, of course with a train of followers - including the 'Sister', 'Staff nurses', Physio, OT, pharmacist, Social worker, Dietitian and of course all of us SHOs and Registrars in tow. His word was law, absolute and immutable. The rest of the time in the week the Consultant did outpatient clinics and 'domiciliary visits'. Very cushy job.

Things are quite different in the US in almost every way imaginable. In the end you pick a place that works for you and call it home.
Sirji
The days 'Chai Biskoot' in the Consultant Dining-Room is well n Truly over.
You are lucky to have Reg+SHO(or should I day FY2/CT/ST) to do the rounds given the on-call nights/day shift/day off/Zero hour shit!!!
Every two-bit manager is ready to shove the 'Danda' up your proverbial creek.
The only remaining bit of old NHS is the 'Pension' even that is under threat.
And marrying the 'Gori' Nurse/Doctor now that opens a whole new ball-game so to speak!!
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

sanjaykumar wrote:Perhaps those Indians in Britain voting Tory know what they are doing.
Recently received an email from Tory chairman.
There is a targeted email-carpet bombing of desi's especially of the dharmic types!!
Given that JC has openly sided with the peacefuls and is spouting 'vile-bile' at mother country(mine and his 'El dorado') they are deliberately wooing the desi's
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

ArjunPandit wrote:vayutavan ji,
Romanticism from authors is nice, but this place does not have the magic of harry potter, dark spells of death eaters may be..
Indians own the place? how???Yes there are Indians, but most of the Indians are as much Indians as native americans are indians. Most of them despise india, modi and what not.
Beyond the beautiful red buses and the clean roads place is rotting due to demographics and is approaching purani dilli fast. A trip to Bow, Whitechapel area, Ilford area is enough if you havent had any experience in cabs.
Yes we must enjoy the fruits on the land irrigated by blood and bodies of our ancestors till we can. Unless there's a right revival, this place will be doomed. Or may be i am too pessimistic about htem and too optimistic about India
Sad, but rings true. I recently interacted with some desi Brits. Full of themselves and spoke all the brit talking points against Modi, Yindu India etc. Completely brainwashed and acted more Brit than the Brits themselves.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Karan M wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:vayutavan ji,
Sad, but rings true. I recently interacted with some desi Brits. Full of themselves and spoke all the brit talking points against Modi, Yindu India etc. Completely brainwashed and acted more Brit than the Brits themselves.
Karanji
Sadly that is true: but by and large, majority and strangely the second gen desi's are rooting for the dharmic revival!!
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Rsatchi wrote:
Primus wrote:

Sirji
The days 'Chai Biskoot' in the Consultant Dining-Room is well n Truly over.
You are lucky to have Reg+SHO(or should I day FY2/CT/ST) to do the rounds given the on-call nights/day shift/day off/Zero hour shit!!!
Every two-bit manager is ready to shove the 'Danda' up your proverbial creek.
The only remaining bit of old NHS is the 'Pension' even that is under threat.
And marrying the 'Gori' Nurse/Doctor now that opens a whole new ball-game so to speak!!
Satchi Ji, I was there for six years in the 80s and there was no change during that entire period, from what I was told, it used to be even more authoritarian a system earlier. But I hear you, it is not the same wine and roses any more, although my classmates and others I know have been very happy so far.

However, scrutiny has always been far worse in the US and it is getting even more onerous. Everyone is always watching you. The Americans were never happy with the Class divisions and the lowest person in the patient care team - a junior nurse - can blow the whistle and can bring you down if she thinks you did something 'wrong'. Then it is up to you to prove you did not. An Attending physician is sometimes treated no better than an Intern in the system. He is first contact for a patient whether in the ER or in the office, writes his own notes, does his own rounds alone, is on call seven days a week throughout the year, gets to take just 3 weeks of vacation at most. Quite a difference.

But this is all OT for this thread. Main difference in the attitude of the Indians in the two countries (at least in my experience) is how quickly Desis in the US become 'Americanized' in developing a sense of pride in themselves and in being American. Did not see that in the UK, even those who had been living there for over 20 yrs and were married to British women did not think of themselves as British. In the US, I think it is a bit different, main reason being there is no historical baggage to be rid of. Most of us who grew up in India cannot forget or forgive the Brits for what they did to the mother country. Then there is the idea that 'every American is ultimately an immigrant'. The US has always been more accepting of Immigrants especially from India.

Yes, we Desis in Amreeka may bitch and moan here on BRF about US attitudes, but when our adopted land is attacked in any manner anywhere, we stand up in defense of it. Which is why Thanksgiving is celebrated so much by Indians, at least in my house it is.