[Gaurav/Garuthama]

Glide Bomb (500/1000kg) -> 30km
[Gautam/Garuda]

PGHSLD (500kg) -> 30km
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 17 Dec 2018

Post by Indranil »

Never saw the picture Garuthma before. Where did you find it. My hattip to you in keeping track of these things. Very meticulous.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
Credit goes to Karan M. He found it on DRDO website: https://www.drdo.gov.in/glide-bomb
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Excellent find. Wish we could get that picture of it being launched from Su-30MKI. Really looking forward to seeing Gautam and Gaurav being inducted en-masse. Spice 2000 being bought in batches of 100 odd bombs is too less for a full scale conflict.

By the way what is the guidance for the LRGB? INS+GPS?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

From my notes,

Garuda store has been successfully released from the Su-30 MKI aircraft during 2013. Transfer alignment and safe separation have been proven as part of development trials of Garuda. Wing kit realization and wind tunnel tests have been completed as a part of development trials of winged version Garuthma. Garuthma drop trials were conducted successfully on December 19, 2014 in Bay of Bengal off the Odisha coast and were successfully repeated in 2015 also. Both Garuthma & Garuda were tested for their full ranges in the Thar desert, dropped from a Su-30MKI, in August 2016 also. A DRDO official termed the tests as a ‘major success’. On May 24, 2019, Garuda was tested at the Pokhran firing range for a distance of 30 Kms.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Kartik wrote:Excellent find. Wish we could get that picture of it being launched from Su-30MKI. Really looking forward to seeing Gautam and Gaurav being inducted en-masse. Spice 2000 being bought in batches of 100 odd bombs is too less for a full scale conflict.

According to this article it’s an inertial guided bomb.

Procurement plan is for 1000/year of two LRGB types: 125kg and 500kg.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7342&p=2227436&hil ... f#p2227436
SHQ (Air Force)
Project No.3
1. Name of Potential Project
Long Range Glide Bombs

2.Brief about the project
MoD, Gol intends to procure Long Range Glide Bombs (LRGBs) to be delivered from different aircraft platforms. The LRGBs are proposed to be developed and manufactured under the ̳Make‘ category of the DPP. As a preliminary step, two classes of LRGBs_viz 125 Kg and 500 Kg, compatible with Su-30 MKI aircraft are intended to be indigenously developed and produced.

3. Broad specifications / PSQRs which can be shared with the Industry
(a) Mai Range should be around 100 km when released from 42000 ft.
(b) Types of warhead - Blast fragmentation and Penetration.
(c) High accuracy.
(d) High shelf life
(e) Operation, Transportation and storage in Indian conditions.

4. Tentative quantity to be procured after successful prototype development
Appr a thousand per year.

5. Tentative timeline for induction
As soon as trials are successfully completed.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I thought we could have easily integrated IR sensor with data link ported from Helina with LRGB
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

srai wrote:
Kartik wrote:Excellent find. Wish we could get that picture of it being launched from Su-30MKI. Really looking forward to seeing Gautam and Gaurav being inducted en-masse. Spice 2000 being bought in batches of 100 odd bombs is too less for a full scale conflict.

According to this article it’s an inertial guided bomb.

Procurement plan is for 1000/year of two LRGB types: 125kg and 500kg.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7342&p=2227436&hil ... f#p2227436
SHQ (Air Force)
Project No.3
1. Name of Potential Project
Long Range Glide Bombs

2.Brief about the project
MoD, Gol intends to procure Long Range Glide Bombs (LRGBs) to be delivered from different aircraft platforms. The LRGBs are proposed to be developed and manufactured under the ̳Make‘ category of the DPP. As a preliminary step, two classes of LRGBs_viz 125 Kg and 500 Kg, compatible with Su-30 MKI aircraft are intended to be indigenously developed and produced.

3. Broad specifications / PSQRs which can be shared with the Industry
(a) Mai Range should be around 100 km when released from 42000 ft.
(b) Types of warhead - Blast fragmentation and Penetration.
(c) High accuracy.
(d) High shelf life
(e) Operation, Transportation and storage in Indian conditions.

4. Tentative quantity to be procured after successful prototype development
Appr a thousand per year.

5. Tentative timeline for induction
As soon as trials are successfully completed.
Thank you Srai. that's a lot of questions answered there about the LRGB program. 1000 units per year is a good number to equip other multi-role types as well. So Gaurav and Gautam are basically INS guided PGMs.

Max range of 100 km for the winged bomb is from 42,000 ft and must also be at a specific speed of the platform dropping the weapon since it is an unpowered glide weapon. And it looks like it met the range and accuracy requirements and then must've been passed on for production.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

From Indian express

Four nuclear capable missiles lined up for test this month
Defence sources on Sunday told The Express that K-4 has been scheduled for November 8, followed by two versions of BrahMos - surface-to-air and air-to-air[WTF] - on November 11, Agni-II on November 16 and Prithvi on November 20
Surely Brahmos A2A is DDM.
While the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will conduct a developmental trial of K-4 missile with advanced navigation systems from an underwater platform off Visakhapatnam coast
If wishes were courses underwater platform here is not a Pontoon but a submarine.
The focus will be on the performance of K-4 and Agni-II as both the missiles will be put to tests with new advanced systems,”
Looking forward to this Friday- God willing
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Looking forward to it!

That being said, the article is so shoddy. In addition to the Brahmos eff-up, check out the following language
Though four nuclear-capable missiles being lined up for tests in one month amidst heightened tension along border sends a clear signal of the country’s strategic preparedness, a defence official tried to cover it up stating that India sticks to its ‘no first use’ doctrine.
Makes is look as if we are doing something illegal & need to cover it up. Our defence reporting is such a disgrace. Rout's only USP is that he has inside access to DRDO & is usually the first one off the blocks, especially if a test fails
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Why we are still testing Prudhvi? User tests or DDM reporting?
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Or calling xyz prithvi
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I think our forces do have some Prithvi in stock including for Nuke delivery on Pakis, so they definately we need to keep validating our stock. Plus we dont nearly have enough missiles, so we still cant completly throw them away.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Any news on the NOTAM 3500km in the end of Oct..?? Or was it postponed?

Re, LRGB, I hope the bombs are very close to production, after 5-6yrs spent on AGB, and we are not looking at another 3-4 yrs for development.

I wonder why the change in names.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

BRAHMOS A2A is not DDM
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... s?from=mdr

“The Brahmos NG is going to be the future system of our armed forces. We had earlier designed it for the Navy and this time we are developing an air to air version,” Sudhir Mishra, CEO & MD of Brahmos told ET.

The Brahmos NG – which will also be integrated with the Su 30 MKI fighter jets – is being designed to take down slow moving `force multipliers’ deep within enemy territory. This would make the missile an `AWACS killer’ that could take down an enemy early warning and control system even after being fired from the Indian side of the border. Similarly, it can target enemy refuelling aircraft and transporters.

There are reports of the same about Brahmos NG. Are they now testing the capability for the Regular Brahmos need to be figured out.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

It was a logical extension, good to see them exploiting Brahmos fully.

from the article:
Sharing that the idea of integrating the Brahmos NG with the LCA came from Defence Secretary Sanjay Mitra, the CEO said that the weapon will give a competitive edge to the LCA when it comes to export order.
:roll: :roll:

Also, the status of its integration on LCA seems to be at more advanced stage that I thought. Su-30MKI would be further ahead in this definitely. But I have stopped trusting timelines from Brahmos.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Also, the status of its integration on LCA seems to be at more advanced stage that I thought. Su-30MKI would be further ahead in this definitely. But I have stopped trusting timelines from Brahmos
This is Brahmos NG or Brahmos-M not air launched Brahmos (only for Su-30) in case if there is any confusion for anyone.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Prem Kumar wrote:Looking forward to it!

That being said, the article is so shoddy. In addition to the Brahmos eff-up, check out the following language
Though four nuclear-capable missiles being lined up for tests in one month amidst heightened tension along border sends a clear signal of the country’s strategic preparedness, a defence official tried to cover it up stating that India sticks to its ‘no first use’ doctrine.
Makes is look as if we are doing something illegal & need to cover it up. Our defence reporting is such a disgrace. Rout's only USP is that he has inside access to DRDO & is usually the first one off the blocks, especially if a test fails
Don't be so hard on him. As a Bhartiya it is not imperative for him to write in impeccable english. In his mother tongue probably he wouldn't have committed the same mistake.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Information from Rout is typically very accurate.

But I think he has got the air to air part wrong. NG hasn't been flight tested from ground. There have not been any carriage trials either. I expect the order of testing of NG to be along Brahmos lines: surface to surface, air to surface and finally air to air. So, the said test is a few years off.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Indranil wrote:Information from Rout is typically very accurate.

But I think he has got the air to air part wrong. NG hasn't been flight tested from ground. There have not been any carriage trials either. I expect the order of testing of NG to be along Brahmos lines: surface to surface, air to surface and finally air to air. So, the said test is a few years off.
It may be different with NG because unlike with Brahmos where ground tests where already done for Yakhont years ago there needs to be redesign of launcher and canister for Brahmos-NG. If this needs to fit into existing launcher it may require a plug and could complicate testing as well.

Where as air launch variant will not require that and can be tested from existing Su-30 platforms that carry Brahmos.

Added: Since only one NG can still be carried by single launcher in naval ships it is not going to offer a huge benefit for navy apart from lower cost and I am not sure Brahmos NG can reach 800 km which is planned for Brahmos. Honestly I don't see navy switching to it for surface vessels or army using it for land attack. Submarine and Air launch variant will be biggest benefit for NG variant.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

srai wrote:^^^
Credit goes to Karan M. He found it on DRDO website: https://www.drdo.gov.in/glide-bomb
And the link is down!!!

Check if it comes back with all these images; if not, better to delete them. Might be an inadvertent dekkho.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

No its not. It's working.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Its working.

Long range air to air has been a quest since IGMP.
Please read WOF.

Will give page number soon.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

BMos- NG is a challenge because the entire missile will shrink in length and diameter to be able to be carried by a variety of aircraft, warships and fired from std. sub TTs.
The engine will have to be new apart from other components.Developing an LR AAM from the existing version is still a monumental achievement .
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Guys: I think its a typo in Rout's article. In fact, there are 2 typos. The article says there will be 2 tests of Brahmos: a surface-to-air & an air-to-air!!

I think what he meant was surface-to-surface and air-to-surface. Lets not read too much into it.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Brahmos NG a2a role was advertised a while back when the concept was first displayed. They are also developing multiple seekers, including IIR seeker for it.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Is Brahmos Nuclear capable..?
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

JayS wrote:Is Brahmos Nuclear capable..?

Specifications

Mass
3,000 kg (6,600 lb)
2,500 kg (5,500 lb) (air-launched)

Length
8.4 m (28 ft)

Diameter
0.6 m (2.0 ft)

Warhead
200 kg (440 lb) conventional semi-armour-piercing and nuclear [2][3]
300 kg (660 lb) (air-launched) Both manufactured indigenously by the Indian Ordnance Factories

As per Wikichacha!!! :D
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

kurup wrote:
dinesha wrote:Another NOTAM issued for danger zone upto 3500Kms from Vishakhpatnam Coast on 8-9 November.
Where is the notam issued ?? Can't find anything on AAI website .
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

I hope the customary year end test of Agni IV and Agni V is also done in December. IIRC both have completed the user trials phase but Agni V is yet to be operationlaised and information is not clear about Agni IV too. Waiting for an announcement that fresh trials were done from production lot.

India needs to speed up work on Agni VI or whatever the next MIRV flowers carrying missile is going to be called. Trials for inducting K5 needs to be speeded up too.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

1. i have had this question in my mind for some time. I'm sure you'd remember initially in DDM it was reported as non nuke, with BRF posters also mentioning that it was our way to keep war below nuke threshold due to trajectory/profile or the role. Additionally the range was compliant to MTCR.
2. WIthin One year of India joining MTCR (quoting from memory, might be off few months), the news of range extension and nuke delivery started coming in. I did check the P800 oniks, on which B'mos is based has similar range and capability to carry thermo nukes

Code: Select all

[b]'Warhead: national version: 300 kg semi-armour piercing HE, thermonuclear; export version: 200 kg HE'[/b]
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-800_Oniks)
Also, the payload of B'mos is very similar to Oniks
the ship-launched and land-based missiles can carry a 200 kg warhead, whereas the aircraft-launched variant (BrahMos A) can carry a 300 kg warhead.
So I strongly suspect it can carry, unless there are shape/size or other constraints for our nukes. But the question I am not clear is how will the weapons by utilized, I am not sure, esp given the high velocity of the terminal state, short distance (i presume B'mos doesnt exit atmospher)
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

^ wow !

Why would they need a supersonic missile with a thermonuclear warhead ?

Carrier killer role against the Nimitz Class ?

Regarding the NOTAM, an SLBM test showcasing 5500+ km range and 3x MIRV is long overdue for our minimum nuclear deterrence.

Shiv Saar long advocated a 20 kt deterrence as sufficient, citing bomb damage casualties, etc. The reason I disagree with his reasoning is that the P5 also had access to the data he cites, and was known before their last round of tests. But none of them restricted to 20 kt.

The Chinese went upto MT yield, and standardized at 300 kt.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^dinesh ji,
1. honestly even I dont have any idea, why it should carry in the first place. i put this information just to see if wiser folks can shed some light on it
2. To me it seems quite odd to have a thermonuclear weapon on such a missile, even for a carrier role, it can do a 'mission kill'. IIRC, in one of the tests, b'mos tore the hull apart (for an old frigate, not for an carrier)
3. Just that it can carry doesnt mean that it would carry or be used, although it does offer the advantage of high accuracy over the ballistic missiles esp for anti-ship
4. The only possible weak case i can think of it is (valid from a russian PoV), attack on any opponent ship that carries nuke missiles or weapons will most likely considered as a nuke attack so might as well use nukes, esp when they are not short on the no. of nukes. I know it's a very weak argument.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Nope it doesn't have Volume space for our tested Warheads.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

these missile tests will probably also be used to test the radars of our brand new 'ocean surveillance ship'
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ManuJ wrote:these missile tests will probably also be used to test the radars of our brand new 'ocean surveillance ship'
would these radars also serve some purpose for our BMD? Although in this case they would have the advantage of knowing the trajectory and the launch timing.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Deep question. Requires through understanding of the maal.
So can't be answered by comparing just the weight and geometry.
It has to deal with electric wiring, circuit logic etc.
IOW only the designers know.
Not us.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Do'nt know whether they will be able to carry out the K-4 test given the cyclone that is building up in the bay of bengal...Hope the test does not get delayed too much.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Yes capable. It was quite a challange to fit the small special pkg, in the small cone with hot compressed engine air flow ducts around. The thermal load budget is v significant. I believe a nabhakiya aayudh of ~10kt.
Note that designed & test <> operationalized.

What is operationalized is conventional only to make it a everyday use weapon by field commamders.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Getting nervous- will the test take place due to weather? will the test be successful? All things a Jingo suffers from