China Military Watch - Sept' 2016

chola
BRF Oldie

Re: China Military Watch - Sept' 2016

Post by chola »

On H-6N, ballistic missile carrier. This is tactical weapon against ships.

https://mobile.twitter.com/horobeyo/sta ... 61/photo/1
逆襲
@horobeyo
·
14h
雑誌「現代艦船」2019年23期テーマーー爆撃機が海を支配する(via CD@oldcaticu44)https://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2596066-1-1.html
まともに考えると、確かに沿岸から長航続距離爆撃機の行動半径+対艦弾道ミサイルの射程を足すと、打撃範囲外の海域は全世界でも少ない訳だ(雑誌の内容にはあんまり関係のない話だが)

-------Google Translated from Japanese-------

Counterattack
@horobeyo
·
14h
Magazine “Modern Ship” The 23rd Theme of 2019-Bombers Dominate the Sea (via CD @ oldcaticu44) https://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2596066-1-1.html
If you think about it, it is true that if you add the action radius of the long-range bomber from the coast and the range of the anti-ship ballistic missile, the number of seas outside the hitting range is small in the whole world. It ’s a story)

chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Cheen never retires a production line :rotfl:

They are still building MiG-21 derivatives. The FTC-2000G.

Even today there are turdworlders buying this crap. This and their other new trainer/light attack craft, the L-15, are cutting into the Pakis' potential Blunder sales.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Why should they. What's wrong the above aircraft?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Obsolescence? Is that a trick question, Saar?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Not at all. I really mean it. A modern Mig21 is a very economical mud mover. Cheap to acquire, cheap to maintain with very high availability.

Imagine one built around a M88. What's wrong? If your tactics are sound, it is not easy to take down a Mig21 Bis. Why would it be easy to take down this plane? With an economical modern engine it can easily deliver 2 450 kg PGMs 400 kms away. With a refueling probe and a buddy refueled, third world airforces can achieve a lot.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Indranil wrote:Not at all. I really mean it. A modern Mig21 is a very economical mud mover. Cheap to acquire, cheap to maintain with very high availability.

Imagine one built around a M88. What's wrong? If your tactics are sound, it is not easy to take down a Mig21 Bis. Why would it be easy to take down this plane? With an economical modern engine it can easily deliver 2 450 kg PGMs 400 kms away. With a refueling probe and a buddy refueled, third world airforces can achieve a lot.
+108

A reliable low-cost plane produced in large numbers with decent enough payload and avionics should suffice for a lot of air forces around the world. Everyone does not need a F-35.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Indranil wrote:Not at all. I really mean it. A modern Mig21 is a very economical mud mover. Cheap to acquire, cheap to maintain with very high availability.

But Indranil ji, if one were to build a MiG-21 around a modern turbofan like the M88 he would get a JF-17.

This FTC2000 though is still a MiG-21 (well maybe a F-5 from the same generation since it reworked the intake from the nose to the sides) complete with a throwaway 1960's style turbojet as a powerplant.

The reason I say they never retire a line is they already have the cheap single engine "modern" fighter in the JF-17. They also have the L-15 as another modern supersonic cheap jet. So it seems to me with the FTC2000 they are building things just to build things. I can see the rationale as a jobs program or for skills preservation.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

vimal wrote: +108

A reliable low-cost plane produced in large numbers with decent enough payload and avionics should suffice for a lot of air forces around the world. Everyone does not need a F-35.
+1 with one small addition- Not everyone has a F-35 as an opponent either.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

LCA Tejas fits perfectly in this export market segment. India needs to learn how to export its wares like the Americans, Russians, Europeans, and the Chinese. Much more than just selling a product. GoI needs to package some of its weight behind it.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

vimal wrote:

+108

quite true , a few of the are looking at NEW F16s
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Agree with Chola , this FTC 2000 is more like J8, atleast JF 17 seems to have a stronger structure and more modern RD33 engine.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

srai wrote:LCA Tejas fits perfectly in this export market segment. India needs to learn how to export its wares like the Americans, Russians, Europeans, and the Chinese. Much more than just selling a product. GoI needs to package some of its weight behind it.
i know it is OT, but that would be the last thing i would worry about ever about Indians. The day GoI decides to focus/put its weight behind, we'll sell better than China anyday everyday. From the weight, i mean, focus on getting the right talent to sell. We are not short on brochure makers, natashas, and salesperson. Perhaps we are woefully short of fanboys (outside BRF of course)
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Look there are a few class of advance-trainers-cum-light-attack aircraft.
~30 kN of installed dry thrust like alphajet, Hawk and Mitsubishi T4
~50 kN of installed dry thrust like yak-130 derivatives
~40 kN of installed dry thrust and 65 kN of wet thrust like FTC2000 and mitsubishi T2
~ 50 kN of installed dry thrust and 80 kN of wet thrust like the L15, LCA trainer, F50 and the Boeing T7

I can't find a fault with any of these selections. The last two categories are almost fighters. What will India develop/adopt as its next trainer? I hope it is from the later two kinds.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

chola wrote:

But Indranil ji, if one were to build a MiG-21 around a modern turbofan like the M88 he would get a JF-17.

This FTC2000 though is still a MiG-21 (well maybe a F-5 from the same generation since it reworked the intake from the nose to the sides) complete with a throwaway 1960's style turbojet as a powerplant.

The reason I say they never retire a line is they already have the cheap single engine "modern" fighter in the JF-17. They also have the L-15 as another modern supersonic cheap jet. So it seems to me with the FTC2000 they are building things just to build things. I can see the rationale as a jobs program or for skills preservation.
Fits into classic Chinese way of doing things. Build things for their parade value not for their utility. They want to continue adding numbers. This is the same country that stored over a thousand mig-19 in farm fields and counted them in its inventory!
(Though I remain ready to be proven wrong if concrete data supports efficacy of chinese models in real world - and Chinese miltech is not all a facade)

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... s?from=mdr Chinese rural incomes had been depressing since 2014. Chinese miltech light & sound show will keep on getting fancier.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Similar approach was followed by Joseph Stalin till the winter war with FInland in 1939
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Indranil wrote:Look there are a few class of advance-trainers-cum-light-attack aircraft.
~40 kN of installed dry thrust and 65 kN of wet thrust like FTC2000 and mitsubishi T2
~ 50 kN of installed dry thrust and 80 kN of wet thrust like the L15, LCA trainer, F50 and the Boeing T7

I can't find a fault with any of these selections. The last two categories are almost fighters. What will India develop/adopt as its next trainer? I hope it is from the later two kinds.
Point taken, Sir. But the FTC2000 is the only one still using a turbojet. To me it seems they will be cannibalizing their own sales to two modern advanced/lead-in trainer types on the JF-17B and the L-15.

I had always liked the fact that they build such a wide variety of models for such a long time -- they were building brand new J-7s in the 2000's. But discussion in this thread with Karan and others had me thinking these obsolete models can't be that good for efficient use of treasure and resource. The US for example does not build F-4 or A-7 alongside the F-35 which what Cheen is essentially doing. The market pressures on the Amreeki MIC will not allow it. Cheen's MIC feels little pressure it seems and is pumping out obsolete stuff alongside fairly advance ones.

We already have the Hawk and working on the IJT. I like to see our advanced trainer/LIFT be the LCA two seater. HTT40 --> IJT/Hawk --> LCA AT --> LCA LIFT. The difference between LCA AT and LIFT could be less expensive avionics and maybe the removal of the radar for the AT?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

It looks like the J-10C is currently being mass produced with a new WS-10 variant.

Number 431 indicates 4th production batch.

Some discussion in the watchers community on whether it is still a J-10 "C" variant now that it has a new engine. But all reports indicates no model designation change. Some pointed out there were J-10Bs with WS-10s as well and the nomenclature never changed. This might mean that the J-10 in at least those two tranches can accept (or were designed to accept) either an AL-31 or WS-10. CAC is doing something similar with the J-20 which is already seen with the AL-31 and WS-10 and will eventually get the WS-15.

The same engineering options can exist for the Tejas in regards to engines? F404 to F414 should be an obvious upgrade path but maybe for the Kaveri or a M88 core alternative too. Plug and play with powerplants!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

chola wrote:
Indranil wrote:Look there are a few class of advance-trainers-cum-light-attack aircraft.

Point taken, Sir. But the FTC2000 is the only one still using a turbojet. To me it seems they will be cannibalizing their own sales to two modern advanced/lead-in trainer types on the JF-17B and the L-15.

I had always liked the fact that they build such a wide variety of models for such a long time -- they were building brand new J-7s in the 2000's. But discussion in this thread with Karan and others had me thinking these obsolete models can't be that good for efficient use of treasure and resource. The US for example does not build F-4 or A-7 alongside the F-35 which what Cheen is essentially doing. The market pressures on the Amreeki MIC will not allow it. Cheen's MIC feels little pressure it seems and is pumping out obsolete stuff alongside fairly advance ones.

We already have the Hawk and working on the IJT. I like to see our advanced trainer/LIFT be the LCA two seater. HTT40 --> IJT/Hawk --> LCA AT --> LCA LIFT. The difference between LCA AT and LIFT could be less expensive avionics and maybe the removal of the radar for the AT?
Please drop the "ji" and "sir". I would like to earn it and I don't think I deserve it yet.

I am not talking of this particular aircraft and its engines. But, aircrafts of this class. What if we built a simple aircraft of this class around a modern engine? There are advantages of these airplanes.
1. Do you know which plane is scrambled by IAF now. Mig-21s?!!!! Why, because nothing can get in the air that fast. The primary delay in getting a Mig21 in the air is the men. IAF has regular drills where the Mig21s take to the air within 5 minutes from first alert. Nothing else even comes close. None of the advanced stuff. So, simplicity has its virtues.
2. And when they land, you can fuel them up, and they are ready to go again. The Israelis found that 4 decades back.
3. PLAAF doesn't need these planes. The truth is there govt. shells out much more money to them than ours. In fact, an order more. They do not need these planes directly. But they need these industries. These are great planes for airforces with lower capital.
4. I support these planes for the IAF too. I am thinking of writing an article about it. You see 'light' for USAF meant the F16 (now F35!!!!) because they are largely an expeditionary force. PLAAF is getting there. But, what are battles, that we want to fight. And how do we plan to support that fight, aka our industry? If we foresee fights with only our neighbors in the foreseeable future what should the our definition of light be? And light does not mean unsophisticated. LCA LIFT is not going to be cheap. It is cheaper compared to a Gripen. But, is this the best we can do, given the reality of our politicians, and the state of our industry?
4. Trainers by definition have to be cheaper aircraft to acquire and maintain. They fly twice a day on a regular basis. Should it be a LCA LIFT, or something even simpler? A case can be made for the latter. Imagine a Hawk class aircraft powered by modern afterburning engine like F125IN. Such a plane could easily reach 1.4M, with an endurance of 2 hours on internal fuel (for single seater versions), 3 hours with drop tanks. Strap on a scaled down Uttam onto it. With 7 hardpoints loaded with A2A missiles it will have a TWR of a Mig21. This would be our Mig-21 Bison replacement as an awesome point defense fighter which stays on our side of the fence. It will be 75% of the acquisition and 50% of the maintenance cost of an LCA LIFT. What's your opinion of having 10 squadrons of these? Together with the trainers, that is 250 aircraft production run for India alone, forget export orders. If HAL (or a private company) proposed this today, should GoI/IAF support it?

If you talk to F-16 pilots or Mig21 pilots, they will tell you it is NOT easy to take them down. First if they are flying towards you, it is very difficult to spot them. They are basically an engine flying at you. And every aircraft has its forte. The pilots of these airplanes will not leave their forte. Abhinandan actually left his forte and fought on the horizontal and it was still a draw (both aircrafts went down).
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Indranil, great discussion and point of view.

Who wouldn't want 10 squadrons of indigenous aircraft! But I really see that being the Tejas if I were being realistic. Yes, I know the price is an issue when thinking one for one replacement of the Bisons.

I think we are looking at a less expensive solutions in trainers with the IJT and the HAL Hawk (though this had turned out far more expensive than originally planned.) The Advanced "super" Hawk idea would have been that small trainer/fighter you envisioned.

But I think a true light fighter like a MiG-21 with a modern engine inevitably brings us back to a Tejas (or a JF-17 if we want to go cheap) with a medium-thrust turbofan like the F404 or RD-33.

They are the smallest fighters these days. Both have turbofans in the 70-80kN range. I don't think a single engined true fighter (not part trainer) with a 30kN class turbofan like the F125 exists. Maybe we can start a new trend? Looking up the F125, I see it was designed for a Taiwanese project the FCK-1 but that flies with two of those engines.

The Bison and the chini MiG-21s are powered by 65-70kN turbojets. They are cheap partly because they fly on disposable short-lived engines. If we had a turbojet industry, I would have loved this idea of yours. But we skipped the turbojet generation by going directly to the turbofan in the Kaveri. I think only Cheen makes mil turbojets these days with their WP series and thus can still continue building these MiG-21 variants.

That brings us full circle to what is a proper modern engine for an inexpensive single-engined plane? If it is the F404/414 then we are back at the LCA again. Maybe the smaller M88 or a less ambitous Kaveri? But they will not be cheap either -- the first will be expensive to import and the second will need huge investment to finish. If we have to spend money anyways I would go with the second option.

Finishing up the Kaveri would open up all sorts of possibilities. The original Kaveri specs were for an 80kN engine like the RD-33/F404 (we were aggressive in the 1980s!) Even if we could get it to 60-65kN we would be in the range of the Tumansky turbojets that gave the MiG-21 Mach 2 top speed. With composite skills learned from Tejas I think we can make this new desi MiG-21 you envisioned with the Kaveri. Of course, thrust might not be the main issue with the Kaveri.

This really makes me rue that we never developed a turbojet -- which is imminently more achievable by forgoing some of the material science needed for long-lived turbofans. Such a powerplant we could have produced in large numbers and plop into all sorts of designs.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

We might be seeing a new era in Cheen aviation. After a few decades of slogging away at the WS-10, they might have finally gotten things right.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tkmeyer0524/ ... 5247716353
Tom Meyer
@tkmeyer0524
Photos of a J-20 and J-10C serial number 04.31 equipped with WS-10 engine are released today. It is unclear, however, whether it involves standard equipment or simply flying test benches. Be that as it may, the era of Chinese engines has arrived ...
https://mobile.twitter.com/gnnalperr/st ... 3731913728
Alper
@gnnalperr
WS-10 motor ailesinin gelişim evreleri ;

WS-10 – J-11 ( prototip )
WS-10A – J-10/J-11B
WS-10B – J-10C
WS-10B2 – J-16
WS-10B TVC – J-10B
WS-10H – J-15
WS-10C – J-20
They re-visited the WS-10 on the J-10 repeatedly in the last two decades. And the thing failed repeatedly until it didn't.

On J-10A 1004 prototype in 2000s:

On J-10B 2nd production batch circa 2015:

J-10B TVC 2018:

J-10C 4th production batch 2019:
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

After seeing this display it seems to me that the J-10B with TVC engine is almost like a Rafale & SU-30MKI rolled into one (for the cost of a single engine fighter!). With a decent avionics fit and reliable engine, this jet could be the ideal Paki counter for our Rafales & MKIs. The J-10B would suit their ‘Shoot & Scoot’ bhikaari tactics very well too.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

All depends on how good their radar, EW, missiles are. I'd take French/Russian anyday over their weapons suites. They are still buying Russian S-4XX for their praetorian guard, i.e. their Beijing and other elite SAM units.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

sajaym wrote:
After seeing this display it seems to me that the J-10B with TVC engine is almost like a Rafale & SU-30MKI rolled into one (for the cost of a single engine fighter!). With a decent avionics fit and reliable engine, this jet could be the ideal Paki counter for our Rafales & MKIs. The J-10B would suit their ‘Shoot & Scoot’ bhikaari tactics very well too.
I think you need to prove the "how" in "s almost like a Rafale & SU-30MKI rolled into one ". Does it have the range and the range/payload of the MKI? Does it have the ability to employ the large aperture sensors in a way the MKI does? Does it have the avionics and EW capability of the Rafale? It is hard if not outright impossible for any serious person to draw that conclusion based on a video. If you want a retrofit TVC chops video then go see what the F-16 VISTA and MATV programs demonstrated eons ago on a SEF. Where did that effort go? Nowhere. Because TVC only marginally improved combat effectiveness when one factors in the overall mission needs. It does not make the aircraft more survivable against a whole host of surface to air and air to air threats. It does not magically increase payload and range and it does not allow for additional survivability aids to be added.

Only thing it allows for is more "options" in the BFM side of the equation but that is a marginal capability enhancement when factoring in the entire scope of the multi-role fighter's mission sets. What's the point in being able to execute a high alpha manuever if you A) cannot recover in time, or B ) If you get shot down by a SAM from 150 km out. The Indian PGM and BVR machine and the IADS are the PAF's biggest threats i.e. between the R-77, Astra, and Derby, and a whole host of precision air to surface munition the IAF will have an enormous advantage. A TVC equipped J-10 does not solve that..This obviously assuming that they can sustain sorties once confronted with what the IAF can deliver in terms of surface to surface and air to surface fires. 99.9% of the forum discussions tend to focus on Air Combat and BFM which is probably less than 10% of how effective air and combined arms campaigns are executed. In reality, the biggest challenge confronting most AF's isn't going to be the ability to go slow and pull a high alpha display but rather to have enough aircraft up in the air and to sustain sorties amidst attacks and counter attacks..Every $ the Pakistani Military establishment spends on acquiring a Chinese platform for its AF should be a welcome sign for trying to compete with the qualitative and quantitative strength of the IAF is not a wise allocation of their resources.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ The J-10B TVC does nothing more than indicate some maturity in the WS-10 engine. Putting a vectoring nozzle on single-engined jet in front and over 10s of thousands of spectators showed they had confidence in a powerplant that had a lot of teething problems.

There is nothing confirming that they'll introduce a TVC en masse on the J-10. They certainly didn't in the C variant they are mass producing now. It could be nothing more an technology demonstrator.

As posted above, the iterations and variants of the engine, of which the TVC is just one of many, are the bigger story.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

the biggest challenge confronting most AF's isn't going to be the ability to go slow and pull a high alpha display but rather to have enough aircraft up in the air and to sustain sorties amidst attacks and counter attacks..
And Indian side needs to invest in RADARs and aa missiles to sure shot kills.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

vishvak wrote:
the biggest challenge confronting most AF's isn't going to be the ability to go slow and pull a high alpha display but rather to have enough aircraft up in the air and to sustain sorties amidst attacks and counter attacks..
And Indian side needs to invest in RADARs and aa missiles to sure shot kills.
Yes, we need to. They might or might not be better than the phoren brands but at least they'll be different from what's on the market and harder to counter.

All this buying from outsiders, especially the Russians and French, risks using technology that is leaked to the other side who in the case of Cheen has a lot more money to buy whatever intelligence they need.

We like to think we have "special" relationships with these goras and that they will give us "better" stuff. I say bullsh1t on this kind of thinking and blind trust. French, Russians, Israelis all have lucrative deals with Chern too. Pretending that we get better equipment is delusional when Cheen can pay more.

Think about this. Many of our frontline radars -- Elta, MF Star, Green Pine, etc. -- are from Israel. Yet our premier radar, our AWACS, the Phalcon was developed and designed by Israel specifically for Cheen. If the USA had not stopped the transfer, Cheen would gotten the Phalcon when we had nothing comparable. Except for the US, who is engaged in its own rivalry with Cheen, we have to expect that every other exporter is willing to sell Cheen equipment and intelligence as long as they'll pay for it.

I can tell you that after watching chini mil that most of their recent modernization comes from ToT not RE. And their ToT comes from the same places we get ours.

We HAVE to expect that the chinis have bought intelligence on them. Anything else is pollyanna. If the Russians were willing to supply the RD-93 to Pakistan why won't they sell the innards of the Brahmos and BAR to Cheen? Or even the French. France built out Cheen's entire helo industry with ToT. Airbus has only two assembly plants outside Europe and one of them is in Cheen.

But nothing gives me more concern than our frontline radar equipment from Israel. Cheen funds many of Israel's electronic companies. If a system like Phalcon, arguably the most powerful force multiplier in our air force, was developed for Cheen what makes us think the chinis won't have access to everything else the Israelis have for sale?

We cannot depend on salesmen and traders to protect our secrets. We need to develop in house to assure that at least some of our equipment is not compromised.
Last edited by chola on 12 Nov 2019 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Potential Benefits of Thrust Vectoring Nozzles according to studies conducted by Eurojet.

Thrust-Vectoring Upgrade for Typhoon Eurojet EJ200?

According to Eurojet, a Typhoon equipped with thrust vectoring nozzles (TVN) could reduce fuel burn on a typical mission by up to 5%, while increasing available thrust in supersonic cruise by up to 7%. Typhoon is already capable of performing ‘super-cruise’ (flying supersonically without afterburner) and the proposed modification will further increase this capability. Other cost saving aspects of thrust vectoring include the potential to extend engine life by reducing operating temperatures at a given power setting. It could also be used to reduce take-off and landing distances and approach speed. Beside the operational cost savings, TVN enhances the aircraft maneuvering as it becomes a ‘virtual control surface’ when coupled with the aircraft flight-control system. Another aspect is improving the aircraft ability to carry an asymmetric weapons load.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

chola wrote:
vishvak wrote: And Indian side needs to invest in RADARs and aa missiles to sure shot kills.
Yes, we need to. They might or might not be better than the phoren brands but at least they'll be different from what's on the market and harder to counter.

All this buying from outsiders, especially the Russians and French, risks using technology that is leaked to the other side who in the case of Cheen has a lot more money to buy whatever intelligence they need.

We like to think we have "special" relationships with these goras and that they will give us "better" stuff. I say bullsh1t on this kind of thinking and blind trust. French, Russians, Israelis all have lucrative deals with Chern too. Pretending that we get better equipment is delusional when Cheen can pay more.

Think about this. Many of our frontline radars -- Elta, MF Star, Green Pine, etc. -- are from Israel. Yet our premier radar, our AWACS, the Phalcon was developed and designed by Israel specifically for Cheen. If the USA had not stopped the transfer, Cheen would gotten the Phalcon when we had nothing comparable. Except for the US, who is engaged in its own rivalry with Cheen, we have to expect that every other exporter is willing to sell Cheen equipment and intelligence as long as they'll pay for it.

I can tell you that after watching chini mil that most of their recent modernization comes from ToT not RE. And their ToT comes from the same places we get ours.

We HAVE to expect that the chinis have bought intelligence on them. Anything else is pollyanna. If the Russians were willing to supply the RD-93 to Pakistan why won't they sell the innards of the Brahmos and BAR to Cheen? Or even the French. France built out Cheen's entire helo industry with ToT. Airbus has only two assembly plants outside Europe and one of them is in Cheen.

But nothing gives me more concern than our frontline radar equipment from Israel. Cheen funds many of Israel's electronic companies. If a system like Phalcon, arguably the most powerful force multiplier in our air force, was developed for Cheen what makes us think the chinis won't have access to everything else the Israelis have for sale?

We cannot depend on salesmen and traders to protect our secrets. We need to develop in house to assure that at least some of our equipment is not compromised.
We've been over this before. Most of this equipment is frontline in the countries of origin. Its nuts to believe they'd sell themselves down the river to China. The Israelis use the MFSTAR, GreenPine, Russians use the Bars-R, Yakhont. They can and will sell downgraded export gear, rest they protect vigorously if its in own service.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Karan M wrote:
chola wrote:

We've been over this before. Most of this equipment is frontline in the countries of origin. Its nuts to believe they'd sell themselves down the river to China. The Israelis use the MFSTAR, GreenPine, Russians use the Bars-R, Yakhont. They can and will sell downgraded export gear, rest they protect vigorously if its in own service.
But Karan ji, isn't it even more nuts to believe that these foreign countries would sell us the same versions they are using instead of export versions?

Why would Israel or Russia or France do that? What are we to them? Why are we so special that they will trust us with their treasure? If they are opposed to Cheen they would not sell them anything (like the US does not.)

You may be right in your assessment but how could we know for certain? Maybe I am a paranoid but I still think it is dangerously naive to trust that people who sell to all sides will somehow favor us over their other customers. If they sell to our enemies then we have to expect leaks if not outright sales.

Obviously this works the other way too. What the chinis buy can be leaked and sold to us.

I know we can't produce everything right now but we need to at least step back from being the world's top importer. We are the trough that everbody else's MIC feeds off of. We should be feeding our own MIC.

Just my opinion.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Another naval variant of the Z-20 Copyhawk. This one looks like an ASM helo.

They will need lots of helicopters for three LDHs they will be getting in record time. The first one launched in September after assembly of blocks began in March. Now we see the second and the third. The speed of construction has become ridiculous. 40K tons warships are being put together and launched in the matter of months.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RupprechtDei ... 7300156416
@Rupprecht_A
@RupprechtDeino
This new image from the Hudong shipyard in Shanghai, shows both the first and the second Type 075 LHD/amphibious assault ship under construction and demonstrates the significant progress. Also visible is what appears to be the third 075, as reported by Jane's a few days ago.

Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Reports on twitter coming in of a large undersea explosion with detection of radiation in the SCS

Nuke test as show of force? Speculations of nuke sub accident as well..
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ I don't see anything about this other than one twitter thread.

Most likely a chini nuke sub accident if true. Unlikely for them to test around their islands and their own trade routes. Since every chinese nuke especially boomers is trailed by an US SSN an explosion could involve either or both. Maybe a clandestine sinking! Who knows the games they play underwater.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Interesting, a possible nuke explosion when the newest chini carrier is arriving in the region?

From a Vietnamese watcher:
https://mobile.twitter.com/duandang/sta ... 6433189889
Duan Dang
@duandang
China's Type 002 aircraft carrier and several newcomers at Yulin Naval Base in Hainan on November 20, 2019.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

chola wrote:But Karan ji, isn't it even more nuts to believe that these foreign countries would sell us the same versions they are using instead of export versions?

Why would Israel or Russia or France do that? What are we to them? Why are we so special that they will trust us with their treasure? If they are opposed to Cheen they would not sell them anything (like the US does not.)
It would be better to research more about these programs rather than going nuts over speculation and fears. Most of them are JVs. We funded these systems like MFSTAR, LR/MRSAM, Bars etc which are in use by their developing countries in many cases as they know the systems work well and hence chose to induct them. They sell stuff to China which does not compromise their IP (they know about Cheens copy away culture) and also which can't be used against them (true especially for Russia which shares a border) or are defensive systems (e.g. SAMs). France would be willing to sell Meteor and Scalp to India, not China and it has shared technology, at the right price, which even the US won't, the Israelis don't have, and the Chinese would give an eyeteeth for. This is also in part due to the existing sanctions on China which the US is heavily pushing for to continue. The point I am making is simple - the Chinese are not some 100 feet tall monsters when it comes to technology. The IAF itself believes the Rafale is capable of taking on what the Chinese have, both their IADS and their fighters. That speaks volumes.
You may be right in your assessment but how could we know for certain? Maybe I am a paranoid but I still think it is dangerously naive to trust that people who sell to all sides will somehow favor us over their other customers. If they sell to our enemies then we have to expect leaks if not outright sales.
Leaks are more possible with items they don't consider critical to their own natsec such as the Scorpene. Commercial details are hawked to multiple defense attaches for export and hence compromise is easier. It is however, dangerously naive to expect that everything we procure is compromised so we should stop procuring them (even when they provide a critical edge). What this will do is ensure we don't have a silver bullet force capable of handling the highest level of threats, even as our own systems match up to or exceed what the PRC has. We need significant overmatch to compensate for fewer numbers and that is what, sometimes, the imports provide.
Obviously this works the other way too. What the chinis buy can be leaked and sold to us.

I know we can't produce everything right now but we need to at least step back from being the world's top importer. We are the trough that everbody else's MIC feeds off of. We should be feeding our own MIC.

Just my opinion.
What the Chinese buy is available to us. Like the S-4XX. The rough parameters are known to both sides. However, we can ask for unit specific customization to prevent compromise (1st day of war advantage).
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Karan M wrote:The point I am making is simple - the Chinese are not some 100 feet tall monsters when it comes to technology.
Actually that is my point, Karan ji. They are not some 100 feet tall monsters that indigenous tech can't deal with. We don't necessarily need the phoren gear to contend with them. You are arguing the opposite, hain.

ESPECIALLY when the chinis get their TOT from some of the same places (Russia, France and Israel) that we get ours -- outside of our US gear. I think we have these naive dreams of special relations with those first three. If the Israelis were willing to create and deliver Phalcon, the Russians SU-35 and engines for JF-17 and France the cutting edge Ardiden 3C helo engine (was certified by EASA in only April 2018) then who knows what the else they could have passed along.

Cut out third parties who may or may not leak secrets and specs and we'd be better off with our own stuff against the chinis. Again, I know we can't build everything now but at least wean off the phoreners who sell to Cheen and use the ones that don't.

Far better to trust a F-18 against Cheen than a SU-30 or even Rafale because the former is far less likely to have anything leaked by officials or contractors working on chini projects at the very least. But best would be a desi system. Common sense no?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

The new carrier in the SCS complete with 7 J-15s and 3 helos on deck.

I guess it is safe to say that it's been handed over to the PLAN.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RupprechtDei ... 5376670720
@Rupprecht_A
@RupprechtDeino
"China’s second aircraft carrier has docked at Yulin Naval base at the southern tip of Hainan Island, amid media speculation that it will soon be commissioned into Peoples’ Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) service."

See report by
@GREG
WALDRON.

(Image ©2019 Maxar Technologies)

When the Vikrant launched in 2013, I thought we would keep the lead in naval aviation for another decade or more at least because there was no evidence that Cheen can even build a carrier at the time. They only commissioned their rebuilt russkie carrier in 2012.

This carrier was non-existent for another two years after the Vikrant's launch. Inconceivable to me back in 2013 that we'll see a new chini carrier with aircraft on its deck and that the Vikrant would still be in Cochin but here we are.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Those two planes on the ramp sprint points which seem to be about to launch, well, someone better tell their pilots that the ship is already moored and they can go home

Chola, have lost count of every time Karan M patiently explains the fallacies of your H&D POVs and you agree with him readily. Can you please point out a mission for an uber-CAT carrier for these two countries other than amphibious assault on islands? Why are you dragging in other points that hardly make sense in this thread like Vikrant’s timeline etc

If someone is listening, please send in the dus-cent drones.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Never mind me, Sir. It is just a sense of melancholy while posting in this stupid thread. Please edit as you see fit.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... at-462449/

China’s third carrier, the Type-002, will be equipped with electromagnetic aircraft launch and recovery systems (EMALS), allowing it to operate a similar mix of fixed wing aircraft as found on US Navy aircraft carriers.