Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

Post by ArjunPandit »

JayS wrote:
Wickberg wrote: The Gripen C does not use a GE F404. It uses the Volvo Aero RM 12.
Pa-te-to Po-ta-to... :P
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

Rakesh wrote:
Wickberg wrote:The Gripen C does not use a GE F404. It uses the Volvo Aero RM 12.
The Volvo Aero RM 12 is a variant of the GE F404, produced under license in Sweden. See below....

https://www.geaviation.com/sites/defaul ... Family.pdf
Still, its not F404. The RM12 contains over 50% Volvo Aero specifically designed an produced parts by hence company. Actually the 414 is based on the RM12. You too could read a little about General Electric and Volvo Aero.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Wickberg wrote:
Rakesh wrote: The Volvo Aero RM 12 is a variant of the GE F404, produced under license in Sweden. See below....

https://www.geaviation.com/sites/defaul ... Family.pdf
Still, its not F404. The RM12 contains over 50% Volvo Aero specifically designed an produced parts by hence company. Actually the 414 is based on the RM12. You too could read a little about General Electric and Volvo Aero.
Where are you getting this kind of information? Have you actually worked on RM12 project..?
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

JayS wrote:
Wickberg wrote: Still, its not F404. The RM12 contains over 50% Volvo Aero specifically designed an produced parts by hence company. Actually the 414 is based on the RM12. You too could read a little about General Electric and Volvo Aero.
Where are you getting this kind of information? Have you actually worked on RM12 project..?
No. But I do know how to read english.

I don´t know if you can read swedish but this link https://techworld.idg.se/2.2524/1.17431 ... -och-stark clearly states I was saying.
Av den ursprungliga F404-motorn finns idag kanske 50 % kvar. Resten är Volvos nyutveckling. Motorn ägs numera av Sverige och Volvo är OEM. Volvo har typcertifikatet och ansvaret för att motorn är flygvärdig och GE står bara för de reservdelar som behövs till det som är omodifierat (kompressorn, brännkammarmodulen, växellåda, generatorer etc).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

JayS wrote:
Wickberg wrote: Still, its not F404. The RM12 contains over 50% Volvo Aero specifically designed an produced parts by hence company. Actually the 414 is based on the RM12. You too could read a little about General Electric and Volvo Aero.

quite a while back, on the forum, i had suggested trying to get help from volvo for the kaveri.

they have the expertise and the RM12 work is all their own, even though they actually started out with an ameriki engine.

per wiki
Design and development

Produced by Volvo Aero (now GKN Aerospace Engine Systems), the RM12 is a derivative of the General Electric F404-400. Changes from the standard F404 includes greater reliability for single-engine operations (including more stringent birdstrike protection), increased thrust, and the adoption of a full authority digital engine control (FADEC) system.[1][2] Several subsystems and components were also redesigned to reduce maintenance demands.[3] The air intakes of the engine were designed to minimize radar reflection from the compression fan, reducing the radar cross section of the aircraft overall.[2] The F404's analogue Engine Control Unit was replaced with the Digital Engine Control – jointly developed by Volvo and GE – which communicates with the cockpit through the digital data buses and, as redundancy, mechanical calculators controlled by a single wire will regulate the fuel-flow into the engine. These mechanical backup systems remain in the new Full Authority Digital Engine Control (FADEC) which Volvo began developing in 1996.[2] General Electric produces 50% of the engine. Elements such as the fan/compressor discs and case, compressor spool, hubs, seals, and afterburner are manufactured in Sweden, final assembly also taking place there.[2]
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Wickberg wrote:
JayS wrote: Where are you getting this kind of information? Have you actually worked on RM12 project..?

I don´t know if you can read swedish but this link https://techworld.idg.se/2.2524/1.17431 ... -och-stark clearly states I was saying.
Av den ursprungliga F404-motorn finns idag kanske 50 % kvar. Resten är Volvos nyutveckling. Motorn ägs numera av Sverige och Volvo är OEM. Volvo har typcertifikatet och ansvaret för att motorn är flygvärdig och GE står bara för de reservdelar som behövs till det som är omodifierat (kompressorn, brännkammarmodulen, växellåda, generatorer etc).

HAL produces 80% of parts for the Su30's engine, doesn't make it an Indian engine. Producing is not the same as developing and engineering.
Volvo might have actually added 10% (if that) by value of the engine in their own engineering (FADEC for one, which Indian also produces for the F404 in the Tejas, whoopty doo!), producing parts is screwdrivergiri, come on over, we're experts at that.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Wickberg wrote:
JayS wrote: Where are you getting this kind of information? Have you actually worked on RM12 project..?

That's simply not true. They make a lot of parts inhouse but they are make-to-print not all their own designs. Their design competency is limited to LPC (this one not all from RM12), A/B and some stuff here and there.
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

Raveen wrote:
Wickberg wrote:

HAL produces 80% of parts for the Su30's engine, doesn't make it an Indian engine. Producing is not the same as developing and engineering.
Volvo might have actually added 10% (if that) by value of the engine in their own engineering (FADEC for one, which Indian also produces for the F404 in the Tejas, whoopty doo!), producing parts is screwdrivergiri, come on over, we're experts at that.
Producing is not the same as engineering. As i said, over 50% in the RM12 is uniquely designed (and produced) by Volvo. The rest of the engine is also prouduced by Volvo. Does this fact make it a GE404? No, it makes it a RM12.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

chetak wrote:

quite a while back, on the forum, i had suggested trying to get help from volvo for the kaveri.

they have the expertise and the RM12 work is all their own, even though they actually started out with an ameriki engine.
Please check DM.

Now, lets get back to the topic.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Let Wickberg ji have his pie. Enjoy it Wickberg. Whatever you say!

This is Tejas Mk1 and Mk1A thread.
Wickberg
BRFite

change Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

Post by Wickberg »

Indranil wrote:Let Wickberg ji have his pie. Enjoy it Wickberg. Whatever you say!

This is Tejas Mk1 and Mk1A thread.
So why did Rakesh post a video demonstrating an enginechange of a Gripen C and inaccurately calling the engine GE404?
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Wickberg wrote:
Raveen wrote:

Producing is not the same as engineering. As i said, over 50% in the RM12 is uniquely designed (and produced) by Volvo. The rest of the engine is also prouduced by Volvo. Does this fact make it a GE404? No, it makes it a RM12.

50% of the engine by value is uniquely designed and engineered by Volvo in house with no input from GE, got it.
Now pass it after two puffs please :rotfl:
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

Raveen wrote:
Wickberg wrote:

50% of the engine by value is uniquely designed and engineered by Volvo in house with no input from GE, got it.
Now pass it after two puffs please :rotfl:
No sir, I do not use drugs-Ofcourse there wold have been some kind o collaboration between Volvo Aero and GE in turning the GEF404 from US navys twin engined Hornets to come up with the single engined Gripen fighter, The RM12. Sweden is not like China and makes illegal copies.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Please cut out this reference to Drugs and pies.
One sign of difference of opinion is not the reason for dropping BR standards.

The foundations of this forum are made of debate and not web servers.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Wickberg,

Do you have something constructive to add?

Rakesh posted that video as a hat-tip to SAAB's engineering!!! You want the credit for the engine to Volvo as well? Have it! It doesn't change anything!!! Volvo doesn't seem to be using its design skills in developing any new engine, which would have been interesting.

You are currently derailing a thread.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

JayS wrote:
chetak wrote:

Please check DM.

Now, lets get back to the topic.
copied, saar
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Nothing significantly new in this article. Except perhaps for the fact that it adds the point related to the current political tension between Malaysia and India on Mahathir Mohammed's ridiculous remarks on J&K.

HAL eyes first foreign sale of Tejas as Malaysian AF shortlists contenders
New Delhi: Amid a slump in India’s bilateral ties with Malaysia, state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) is eyeing the possibility of selling its Tejas fighter jet to the south-east Asian country, ThePrint has learnt.

The Malaysian Air Force has shortlisted the Indian jet as a contender for the contract of its 36 new Light Combat Aircraft. If the deal goes through, it will be HAL’s first foreign sale.

While Malaysia has shown interest in the Tejas in the past too, its air force is now likely to issue a request for proposal (RFP) for the new contract next year, defence sources told ThePrint.

The main contenders against the Tejas include China-Pakistan’s JF-17, South Korea’s T-50 Golden Eagle, Russian YAK-130 and the BAE Systems’ armed Hawk. The Swedish Gripen, which is in the race for India’s proposal to buy 114 medium multi-role combat aircraft under the Make in India initiative, is also in contention.

Sources said HAL will respond to the RFP as and when it’s issued to them. Asked what version of the Tejas they will be pitching for, the sources said the proposal will depend on the Malaysian Air Force’s requirements.

A Malaysian team had visited the HAL headquarters in September-end and interacted with officials on the Tejas project.

Avionics and weaponry edge

What works in favour of HAL’s Tejas LCA is that it has better avionics and weapon system than other fighter jets in the fray for the Malaysian Air Force contract, the sources said.

Tejas can be integrated with both Russia and Western weapons and this would be hugely beneficial to Malaysia which otherwise uses both Sukhoi and F/A-18 Hornets, added the sources. Tejas’s use of the GE F404 engine which is also used by the F/A-18s is another positive factor.

In March, Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) chief General Datuk Seri Affendi Buang had said that the new LCA requirements would enable the air force to keep up with advanced technology and capability.

HAL’s Tejas sale could get affected by the deteriorating diplomatic relations between India and Malaysia over the Kashmir issue.

It was reported last month that India, the world’s top palm oil consumer, was shunning purchases from Malaysia, the second largest producer, after Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad criticised the Modi government’s Kashmir policy, sparking the latest trade spat in the region.

In April this year, Malaysian defence minister Mohamad Sabu had said the country was negotiating with several countries to acquire military assets through barter trade.

‘No impact on IAF delivery’

HAL sources sought to allay the fears that any possible deal with a foreign country would impact the Tejas delivery schedule to the Indian Air Force (IAF). The production of Tejas with Final Operational Clearance (FOC) will start this month. While the jet’s annual production rate currently is of eight aircraft per year, all arrangements have been done to scale it up to 16, said the sources.

“But we are waiting for the IAF to sign the contract for 83 Tejas Mark 1-A,” said a source who didn’t wish to be named.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

^^^

HAL sources sought to allay the fears that any possible deal with a foreign country would impact the Tejas delivery schedule to the Indian Air Force (IAF). The production of Tejas with Final Operational Clearance (FOC) will start this month. While the jet’s annual production rate currently is of eight aircraft per year, all arrangements have been done to scale it up to 16, said the sources.

“But we are waiting for the IAF to sign the contract for 83 Tejas Mark 1-A,” said a source who didn’t wish to be named.
Good on first point.
Second point HAL was supposed to be working on something before it gets the order.
Third are all the IOC deliveries complete?
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

ramana wrote:^^^

Good on first point.
Second point HAL was supposed to be working on something before it gets the order.
Third are all the IOC deliveries complete?
All IOC single seat deliveries complete (16 units). FOC deliveries should hopefully begin by December, given HAL's strike, some delays expected. As for the Mk1A contract signature, to be done before March 2020. Clearly MoD, IAF and HAL are going over it with a fine tooth comb and making sure all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks for the IOC version production news.
Yes the M1A contract is going thru through review and production efficiencies I think.

I think that as they know the number of planes (83) some funds to get sub-assemblies produced with early funding instead of annual buys and such stuff could be going on.

Meantime, the trainer version's fuselages can be produced as those are already contracted for.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Exclusive Updates From The HAL Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A Programmes

http://delhidefencereview.com/2019/11/2 ... rogrammes/
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

idrw reporting gun trials in 2020 here
http://idrw.org/lca-tejas-mk1-gun-trials-in-2020/
although i find the excuse of lack of ammo quite flimsy...never knew why this would not be prioritized for a multi role..esp this is the weapon of last resort
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

It is not an excuse. It is the truth. I have known this for a while and had not said it aloud. Lack of these qualified rounds casts a shadow on all aircrafts in IAF inventory using this gun. I know that OFB was trying to fix this. Good to know that they finally have.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

The ammo is inert ammo not live rounds btw.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Indranil wrote:It is not an excuse. It is the truth. I have known this for a while and had not said it aloud. Lack of these qualified rounds casts a shadow on all aircrafts in IAF inventory using this gun. I know that OFB was trying to fix this. Good to know that they finally have.
thx indranil..one always everyday at BRF
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

IDRW actually crediting original source... :shock: :shock: Is this a dream or what...?
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^i think idrw will publish anything..it is upto the individuals to give credit...but in the end its a good aggregator and decent job of collating information for everyone.....and opens up in most organizations..these days BRF misses some small news items..so its not bad place to go to ..
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

MBDA should not have a problem integrating the METEOR with the LCA then !!

https://www.janes.com/article/92836/mbd ... -x-fighter

MBDA Missile Systems announced on 22 November that it has been awarded a contract by Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) for the integration of the Meteor beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) onto the Republic of Korea Air Force's (RoKAF's) future KF-X fighter aircraft.

"The contract includes integration support to KAI, transfer of know-how and manufacture of test equipment for the KF-X integration and trials campaign," said the company in a statement, without providing any details about the value of the contract or its expected completion date.

MBDA's CEO, Éric Béranger, was quoted as saying, "We're very pleased to mark this next and important step in our partnership with KAI and the Korean Defence Acquisition Program Administration [DAPA]. South Korea is a strategic market for MBDA, and we're proud that Meteor will be providing KF-X with the world's most potent air-to-air capability."

As Jane's previously reported, the Meteor has been described by industry and military officials as providing a step-change in air-to-air combat capabilities. Whereas similar-type missiles have a relatively short boost-phase after launch, after which they glide to the target while bleeding energy, the Meteorʼs ramjet propulsion system means it is propelled up to the point of impact. This reduces the adversary aircraft's chances of escaping the missile and gives the pilot more assurance of success when engaging enemy aircraft.

MBDA's announcement comes after KAI displayed in mid-October a full-scale mock-up of the KF-X at the Seoul International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition (ADEX) 2019. KAI also showcased a mock-up of the KF-X's cockpit. As is the trend for modern combat aircraft today, the KF-X will feature a large-area display in place of the traditional multifunctional display units
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

But, do we need it?
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

cant we wait for SFDR? wont it suffice ??
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Prasad wrote:The ammo is inert ammo not live rounds btw.
What is a 'inert round' for IAF? Is it a round which lacks the 'primer' at the bottom/back of the shell casing?
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Indranil wrote:It is not an excuse. It is the truth. I have known this for a while and had not said it aloud. Lack of these qualified rounds casts a shadow on all aircrafts in IAF inventory using this gun. I know that OFB was trying to fix this. Good to know that they finally have.
Who was supposed to supply the inert rounds? OFB? Couldn't the Russians have been approached to buy a batch of a few thousand inert rounds for the testing purposes?
mahadevbhu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mahadevbhu »

Who are all the countries to which we can export the LCA to? What requirement of theirs can we meet? Lift? Trainer? Light fighters. How do we compare vs the gripen in the same competitions?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Kartik wrote:
Who was supposed to supply the inert rounds? OFB? Couldn't the Russians have been approached to buy a batch of a few thousand inert rounds for the testing purposes?
I don't know the logistical dependencies there. All I know is that IAF suggested the Gsh23, and IAF wanted to stick with it. IAF was okay with this delay in sorting this thing out. Hence FOC did not wait for this. They know that the airframe can take the load. It is only a matter of accuracy when the gun is mated with the platform.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Indranil wrote:
Kartik wrote:
I don't know the logistical dependencies there. All I know is that IAF suggested the Gsh23, and IAF wanted to stick with it. IAF was okay with this delay in sorting this thing out. Hence FOC did not wait for this. They know that the airframe can take the load. It is only a matter of accuracy when the gun is mated with the platform.
What accuracy.

there is a set procedure for calibration of the gun(s) and the gunsight. May require some minimal tweaking, aircraft wise.

It is called harmonization.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Correct.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Indranil wrote:All I know is that IAF suggested the Gsh23, and IAF wanted to stick with it.
This is the proven gun used in hundreds of MiG-21 & 23s. That the IAF excluded it from FOC criteria shows it isnt concerned. The MWF graphics show a shoulder mounted cannon. Most likely Su-30 Gsh-30K or Rafale Nexter whose 20 mm family member arms the Rudra and LCH.

The JF-17 and Tejas Mk1 share two common components - Martin Baker ejection seats and GSh-23L cannon
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

kit wrote:MBDA should not have a problem integrating the METEOR with the LCA then !!

MBDA Missile Systems announced on 22 November that it has been awarded a contract by Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) for the integration of the Meteor beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) onto the Republic of Korea Air Force's (RoKAF's) future KF-X fighter aircraft.

"The contract includes integration support to KAI, transfer of know-how and manufacture of test equipment for the KF-X integration and trials campaign," said the company in a statement, without providing any details about the value of the contract or its expected completion date.

MBDA's CEO, Éric Béranger, was quoted as saying, "We're very pleased to mark this next and important step in our partnership with KAI and the Korean Defence Acquisition Program Administration [DAPA]. South Korea is a strategic market for MBDA, and we're proud that Meteor will be providing KF-X with the world's most potent air-to-air capability."

As Jane's previously reported, the Meteor has been described by industry and military officials as providing a step-change in air-to-air combat capabilities. Whereas similar-type missiles have a relatively short boost-phase after launch, after which they glide to the target while bleeding energy, the Meteorʼs ramjet propulsion system means it is propelled up to the point of impact. This reduces the adversary aircraft's chances of escaping the missile and gives the pilot more assurance of success when engaging enemy aircraft.

MBDA's announcement comes after KAI displayed in mid-October a full-scale mock-up of the KF-X at the Seoul International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition (ADEX) 2019. KAI also showcased a mock-up of the KF-X's cockpit. As is the trend for modern combat aircraft today, the KF-X will feature a large-area display in place of the traditional multifunctional display units
It is really surprising the very capable Koreans have not yet come up with a program to develop long range A to A and other missiles.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Vips wrote:
kit wrote:MBDA should not have a problem integrating the METEOR with the LCA then !!

It is really surprising the very capable Koreans have not yet come up with a program to develop long range A to A and other missiles.
Pretty sure they will., this will do the interim requirements
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

What radar will the Korean fighter carry ? MBDA refused to integrate meteor with LCA since it was getting Israeli radar. Had it been our indeginous Uttam AESA things would be different.

Ok so some digging on the net and I see that radar is being built by Hanhwa Systems owned by Hanhwa group.

On a side note even though LM is cooperating on this fighter US refused LM to share 4 key techs with KAI:

AESA radar
IRST
EOT targeting system
RF Jamming System/EW

Koreans decided to go build this locally from scratch with help from Israelis (Elta) and Saab.