Artillery Corps: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Artillery Corps: News & Discussion

Post by Karan M »

SSridhar wrote:
Cybaru wrote:Any news on new 90/120 KM project?
I believe that Pinaka II may have a range of 90 Kms though DRDO speaks only of 60+ Kms.
The document above mentions a range of 75kms with guided Pinaka and a CEP of <30 mtrs.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

That's one very informative document with nice photos. This is a huge achievement. The guided Pinaka will make mincemeat of the Nasr.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

A single battery of 6 launchers can neutralize an area of 1000m * 800m. With 75km range, this system can used to target camps in PoK instead of 155 guns.

Gurus, as far as exchanges in LoC go, it's caliber to caliber, so do MBRLs come higher up the escalation ladder than 155 guns? Can these be used just as big guns, or usage of MBRLs require authorization from higher ups.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Would it be possible to target the paki Braigade HQ at Gultari with the 75 Km range Pinaka-II? Also, the paki base at Gyari? Maybe Gyari can be targeted from Siachen, though the Pinaka systems would have to be stationed at altitude in excess of 12K ft, to be able to fire the rockets above the Saltoro range. The range would definitely be less then 75 Kms, due to the angle of fire, but the rarefied atmosphere would help somewhat.
Gyari is crucial for the pakis to sustain their ops, west of the Saltoro ridge.

If the Brigate HQ at Gultari can be targeted, then a few batteries of Pinaka-II, would be able to flatten the place completely.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Karan M wrote:
SSridhar wrote: I believe that Pinaka II may have a range of 90 Kms though DRDO speaks only of 60+ Kms.
The document above mentions a range of 75kms with guided Pinaka and a CEP of <30 mtrs.
Guided Pinaka are carried in a larger quad-pack as shown in an image in that document.

Imagine if a single “fat” rocket is carried in one of those ... 150km+

MGM-140 ATACMS
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

That is Pralay territory with Prahaar for longer ranges. SRBM ranges.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

tsarkar wrote:That's one very informative document with nice photos. This is a huge achievement. The guided Pinaka will make mincemeat of the Nasr.
The last row of the table on page 24 shows the usual pattern :cry:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Hoe about the 122 mm rocket? Did any body know about that one before. I am so happy to see that.

I wish we develop we develop even smaller rockets, one of which is modified to shoulder fired anti air missile.

A little sad though that the NEPE development is still ongoing. Have been reading that status for the past 5 years!
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

The 122 mm are for Grad AFAIK

Makes sense for us to indigenize the consumable part. I believe the launchers were also modernized by L&T a few years back?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

If I am right DRDO had displayed a 122mm extended range rocket for the grad as far back as ~2004 during B Harry time. But had issues with the Russians not accepting for the upgrade or something like that. Couldn't find it as Harry's website doesn't exist anymore
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Kakarat wrote:If I am right DRDO had displayed a 122mm extended range rocket for the grad as far back as ~2004 during B Harry time. But had issues with the Russians not accepting for the upgrade or something like that. Couldn't find it as Harry's website doesn't exist anymore
BM-21 ER rocket (40 KM) was developed by DRDO.
ARDE has been involved in
development of following artillery
rockets. The rocket development is
primarily carried out in association
with HEMRL and PXE:
◊ Pinaka Mk-I (37.5 km)
◊ Pinaka Mk-II (60 km)
◊ Guided Pinaka (75 km)
◊ Pinaka Mk-I Enhanced (45 km)
◊ 122 mm Extended Range (40 km)
https://www.drdo.gov.in/sites/default/f ... 19_Web.pdf

THere is an image in the document. THis has been in works for many many years, THe exact status has always been a bit iffy to ascertain. Here's an article from 2009 which says 122mm ER rockets are being inducted but we didn't see much of it in open sources.
http://www.india-seminar.com/2009/599/5 ... kanwal.htm
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Kakarat sahab, the recent technology focus document says the rocket is "under development". How could these have been ready for induction in 2004.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The ER 40KM rocket, looks like Grad replacement, however there is one project on vertically launched MBRL!

This is meant to be used in the mountains. It will allow for the rockets to hit vertically on reverse slope target. Suppose to have guided rocket.

For a moment, I thought this was the one.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Indranil wrote:Kakarat sahab, the recent technology focus document says the rocket is "under development". How could these have been ready for induction in 2004.
Sir,
I didn't say inducted I said displayed in a exhibition around 2004. I remember DRDO displaying a solid fueled rocket for 122mm grad but which edition of Defexpo I don't remember, details were in B Harry's website it was from his time.
nam wrote:The ER 40KM rocket, looks like Grad replacement, however there is one project on vertically launched MBRL!

This is meant to be used in the mountains. It will allow for the rockets to hit vertically on reverse slope target. Suppose to have guided rocket.

For a moment, I thought this was the one.
Its not grad replacement but use in the grad system
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

How about a Pinaka rocket launcher pod for 122mm ER? Probably could fit 12 rockets to a pod.
Two pods = 24 x 122mm ER rockets

Same launcher vehicle with different pods for
  • 122mm -> ER 40km (12 to a pod)
  • 244mm -> standard w/ Mk.1/MK.1E 45km, Mk.2 55km (6)
  • 244mm -> Guided 75km (4 to a pod)
  • 300mm -> ER Guided 90km+ (3 or 4 to a pod)
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Cool thing is all the building blocks are in place. Enhancing should be much easier.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

srai wrote:How about a Pinaka rocket launcher pod for 122mm ER? Probably could fit 12 rockets to a pod.
Two pods = 24 x 122mm ER rockets

Same launcher vehicle with different pods for
  • 122mm -> ER 40km (12 to a pod)
  • 244mm -> standard w/ Mk.1/MK.1E 45km, Mk.2 55km (6)
  • 244mm -> Guided 75km (4 to a pod)
  • 300mm -> ER Guided 90km+ (3 or 4 to a pod)
Another look at 122mm rocket compared to 244mm rockets (page 23), it is a lot smaller. 24 rockets to a pod seems feasible.
Two pods = 48 x 122mm ER rockets

Or stack of 2 x 12 pods in each pod space.
Four pods (2 pods stacked on each side) = (12 + 12) x 2 = 48 x 122mm ER rockets
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

First time I'm seeing the frontend of the actual rocket pod (rather than the "tip-sticking-out" that they usually have in the parades/exhibitions). Also did they cut the number of rockets from 6 per "pod" to 4? - I'm speculating based on the cover that popped off just before firing in the video, looked like a 2x2 config (or could just be the agle too).
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

abhik wrote:First time I'm seeing the frontend of the actual rocket pod (rather than the "tip-sticking-out" that they usually have in the parades/exhibitions). Also did they cut the number of rockets from 6 per "pod" to 4? - I'm speculating based on the cover that popped off just before firing in the video, looked like a 2x2 config (or could just be the agle too).
Did you read the extremely descriptive DRDO publication posted a few posts earlier than yours by Thakur_B and even earlier by Jayasimha?

I just realised most people are in a tearing hurry to post without bothering to read up. My I humbly request everyone to read the above newsletter twice or thrice since one might not absorb it the first time. I personally read anything 4-5 times to absorb and let it sink in.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Any reason why the number of rockets got reduced from 6 to 4 in each pod?
My understanding is that the dimension didn't increase and the weight increase is also minimal (~15 kg), so why reduce the throw-weight?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Picklu wrote:Any reason why the number of rockets got reduced from 6 to 4 in each pod?
My understanding is that the dimension didn't increase and the weight increase is also minimal (~15 kg), so why reduce the throw-weight?
The dia at the fins for guidance increased so the the space between the rockets had to be increased reducing the nos
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Kakarat wrote:
Picklu wrote:Any reason why the number of rockets got reduced from 6 to 4 in each pod?
The dia at the fins for guidance increased so the the space between the rockets had to be increased reducing the nos
No folding mechanism for those fins at the front?

There's elaborate documentation of the evolution of the shape and folding mechanism for the stabilizing fins at back. Don't think they need additional space.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

tsarkar wrote:
abhik wrote:First time I'm seeing the frontend of the actual rocket pod (rather than the "tip-sticking-out" that they usually have in the parades/exhibitions). Also did they cut the number of rockets from 6 per "pod" to 4? - I'm speculating based on the cover that popped off just before firing in the video, looked like a 2x2 config (or could just be the agle too).
Did you read the extremely descriptive DRDO publication posted a few posts earlier than yours by Thakur_B and even earlier by Jayasimha?

I just realised most people are in a tearing hurry to post without bothering to read up. My I humbly request everyone to read the above newsletter twice or thrice since one might not absorb it the first time. I personally read anything 4-5 times to absorb and let it sink in.
Amazing find Sirjee. All the minute details on Why, How, and When.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

They have mastered fuzes, warhead, navigation and control sub systems. To put that guidance unit on a artillery rocket tells how affordable it is.
Next step multi-function fuze.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

To put things in perspective the Pinaka has a 100kg warhead with 75km range.
The biggest gun with Indian Army was the 7.2" howitzer issued 2 per corps that is for 3 divisions.
It fired a 92 kg shell to a 15.5 km range and was quite inaccurate!
Now IA has guided Pinaka that delivers <30 m CEP and in plenty of numbers. Not just two per corps!
This is heavy artillery to the max!!!
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

What's the CEP of Smerch? If I am not mistaken, Smerch is unguided. If so, the Pinaka-II that we have developed is better than Smerch in all aspects:

a) Range: 75Km, extended to 90Km
b) Guided, with a low CEP
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Smerch rocket is 800 kg with 230 kg warhead.
All are dispersion payloads.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

ramana wrote:To put things in perspective the Pinaka has a 100kg warhead with 75km range.
The biggest gun with Indian Army was the 7.2" howitzer issued 2 per corps that is for 3 divisions.
It fired a 92 kg shell to a 15.5 km range and was quite inaccurate!
Now IA has guided Pinaka that delivers <30 m CEP and in plenty of numbers. Not just two per corps!
This is heavy artillery to the max!!!
Gamechanger that is. Now will the production of this system(including rockets) be given to Solar Industries/l&t type companies or OFB will eat the cake. This decision will decide the successful induction of this system in the army wrt mass production.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

I hope they start "fully guided only Pinaka 2" for ranges between 100 to 200 KMS and start inducting in large quantities. All with CEP of less then 5 meters. Will make long term retaliation far more cheaper.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Now IA has guided Pinaka that delivers <30 m CEP and in plenty of numbers.

Last page in the Tech Focus states <60m CEP.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

srai wrote:

Now IA has guided Pinaka that delivers <30 m CEP and in plenty of numbers.

Last page in the Tech Focus states <60m CEP.

Its from earlier information IMHO. The detailed decription in the document mentions 30 mtrs CEP which matches what Janes was told in 2018.
https://www.janes.com/article/84450/roc ... nce-id18d3

And:
Take the example of Pinaka rocket system. This was made for the Indian armed forces. The Indian Army accepted four regiments in the beginning. Now six more regiments for about Rs 14,000 crore have recently been cleared. The first version of the rocket, Pinaka Mark-I which is in service with the army has the range of 40 km with the margin of error of 1.5 per cent. In the Mark II version, (also called Guided Pinaka), we have increased the range to 60 km; and reduced the CEP (circular error probable) in MkIII. The army has come up with the revised specifications and are interested in this Mark III. In this situation, we feel that we can find somebody else who is interested in Mark II. It is much better ammunition with better capability and we are retaining the cost between MkI and MkII. We have made certain modifications and our production rate is also faster. Furthermore, we are looking at adding correctors to reduce the error. We have done our experiments with two systems in January 2017 and Mark III system is ready for further trials and production.
Dr Christopher, Force
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

so Mk2 version has been cancelled (maybe in favor of Mk3, which is still in dev)?
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

DRDO Tech Focus, in its details, specify that Guided Pinaka's CEP is 30m. If you look at the Pinaka hitting a target, the miss-distance seems something like 5-10m. Pretty darn accurate!

A 100Kg warhead, with a 60m lethality radius & a low CEP, makes it lethal. We have a precision-weapon at the cost & volumes of an area weapon.

DRDO techfocus also says that a salvo of 2-3 Guided Pinakas ensure a 99% kill probability :mrgreen:
Raghunathgb
BRFite

Post by Raghunathgb »

fanne wrote:so Mk2 version has been cancelled (maybe in favor of Mk3, which is still in dev)?
How many true multi barrel rocket launchers can launch rockets to range above 90 kms of pinaka mk2 ? probably BM-30 and T300(both have range around 90-100km). And both of them are 300 mm rockets compared to 214 mm pinaka rockets.

So I believe we posses one of the best multi barrel rocket launcher system in pinaka mk2(hoping it is operationalized soon).Asking for 120 km pinaka would be asking for worlds best (in terms of range) artillery system. I just hope army induct mk2 rather than waiting for world beater mk3 which might take time.

All said, 120 kms artillery would be almost good as nuclear missile on most of Pakistan cities like Lahore, Multan, Rawalpindi , islamabad and Karachi which are very near to Indian borders.pinaka in numbers would be a army in itself. A true game changer weapon.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Infuriating & sad at the same time! Read today's piece by one of the key movers behind Pinaka (Lt Gen Palepur Shankar). If the reduction in Pinaka regiments from 22 to 10 is true, this is shocking!

https://palepurshankar.blogspot.com/201 ... ntact.html
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

An Indian version of Excalibur shells, hopefully with indigenous GPS/IRNSS guidance chip and costing about 20-30% of what the Excalibur costs, would be huge boost. Would have a range of close to 60-70 Kms with the ATAGS gun.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

fanne wrote:so Mk2 version has been cancelled (maybe in favor of Mk3, which is still in dev)?
The Mk3 is nothing but the current Pinaka guided version.

This is the trend of development.
Mk1 - Pinaka
Extended range (without guidance) Pinaka - this was called Mk2 in media
The tech is now being used to extend Mk1, its now called Mk1A by DRDO
Extended range (with guidance) Pinaka - this too went with 2 variants, and is now the reduced CEP variant, this is called Pinaka Guided
122 mm ER - these are Grad rockets using Pinaka tech, but unguided

So basically 3 overall types will be in production
Pinaka Mk1A - fit existing launchers
Guided Pinaka - 4 rounds per launcher
122 mm ER - for Grad BM-21