Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by Vayutuvan »

UlanBatori wrote:American version of Greta thurberg?
Malala is getting younger by the year. Gratin' Greta "great daring happy" thoo-n-iceberg is Malala v 2.0

this one seems to be Malala v 3.0. what kinds of parents hide behind their seven year old?! Pre ants should be playing board games, hide and seek, build Legos and mechano with thier little girl rather than push her to be the next HiC.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Cain Marko wrote:
Mort Walker wrote: The one thing you can't quantitatively evaluate is human behavior.
Hainji? You wan't to just throw out all them pscyhologist types into the deep sea eh?

Be that as it may, Laagical thinking is naat wonlee mathematical. Neither inductive nor deductive reasoning is necessarily math dependent. In my personal experience I have often seen engineering types being rigid and dogmatic about issues that they might want to relegate to the "Non real", quite illogical. I think there is definitely space for the liberal arts and philosophy in a civlized world.
Gone are the days of Descartes and Poincare. Liberal arts study is now about political correctness and not about logic, the space for true philosophy has been ceded for at least a generation now. Pisskology for humans is about as accurate and relevant as animal pisskology.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Aiyyyyyoooooo!!!! Brazil Presidente emulates gringo Presidente.
Brazil's Bolsonaro calls activist Greta Thunberg a "brat"
Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro has called young Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg a “brat” after she expressed concern about the slayings of indigenous Brazilians in the Amazon
She is doing to Sweden what Nazi Germany failed to do.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/01/27/poli ... ssion=true

President Donald Trump said in a new interview Friday that persecuted Christians will be given priority over other refugees seeking to enter the United States, saying they have been "horribly treated."

Speaking with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Trump said that it had been "impossible, or at least very tough" for Syrian Christians to enter the United States.

"If you were a Muslim you could come in, but if you were a Christian, it was almost impossible and the reason that was so unfair -- everybody was persecuted, in all fairness -- but they were chopping off the heads of everybody but more so the Christians. And I thought it was very, very unfair. So we are going to help them."
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

Sweeden was neutral in WW 2
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

kit wrote:https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/01/27/poli ... ssion=true

President Donald Trump said in a new interview Friday that persecuted Christians will be given priority over other refugees seeking to enter the United States, saying they have been "horribly treated."

Speaking with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Trump said that it had been "impossible, or at least very tough" for Syrian Christians to enter the United States.

"If you were a Muslim you could come in, but if you were a Christian, it was almost impossible and the reason that was so unfair -- everybody was persecuted, in all fairness -- but they were chopping off the heads of everybody but more so the Christians. And I thought it was very, very unfair. So we are going to help them."
So how is this not religious discrimination? How is it any different from CAB which they are crying about?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Cain Marko wrote:
kit wrote:https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/01/27/poli ... ssion=true

So how is this not religious discrimination? How is it any different from CAB which they are crying about?
because it is convenient for them, we just need to remind them, that's all, if not tell them to shut up and mind their own business!
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://twitter.com/iMac_too/status/1204585735585579008

iMac_too

@iMac_too

@BJP4India

MPs who will speak in Rajyasabha on #CAB should be made to listen this 10 min clip
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

vijayk wrote:https://twitter.com/iMac_too/status/1204585735585579008

iMac_too

@iMac_too

@BJP4India

MPs who will speak in Rajyasabha on #CAB should be made to listen this 10 min clip
Wow. Harsh Salve did an amazing job.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

kit wrote:
Cain Marko wrote: So how is this not religious discrimination? How is it any different from CAB which they are crying about?
because it is convenient for them, we just need to remind them, that's all, if not tell them to shut up and mind their own business!
Arent any twitterati doing this?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

WTH is this? Now Jewish US citjens have to write "Israel" under "Nationality"? I am really confused on this one.

Under this, Xtians should be "Palestinian" or "Vaticanian" in nationality, hain? There must be more here than is in this report: the idea given is that this will allow the Dept of Education to withhold funding from universities/colleges that don't ban the right of free citjens to boycott companies that do bijnej with Israel. But.... :?:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

TIME Brat Of The Year: GTji. No-Bill Biss Bryj can't b far off. :eek:
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019 ... ut-lapdogs
The U.S. Government Lied About the Afghanistan War. They Couldn’t Have Done It Without Lapdogs Like the Washington Post
18 years and tens of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars too late, it’s nice to see the media finally shame these scumbags and their government handlers. But they ought to save a big portion of the blame for themselves.
People like me.

I was among the tiny minority of journalists and commentators who opposed the Afghanistan war from the very beginning. Nine days after 9/11, I published the first of my cartoons pointing out that Al Qaeda was in Pakistan, not Afghanistan, so there was no moral or legal justification for invading. As the war dragged on I pointed out that the men and women in charge of the war didn’t have a clue about Afghanistan or the Afghan people. According to “The Afghanistan Papers,” those men and women knew they were screwing up, wouldn’t admit their ignorance and refused to bring in experts.

I went to Afghanistan to check things out for myself. It was obvious the U.S. didn’t stand a chance there. “The principal goal of this adventure in imperialistic vengeance, it seems obvious, should be to install a friendly government in Kabul. But we’re winning neither hearts nor minds among either the commoners or the leadership of the current regime apparent,” I wrote from Afghanistan on December 11, 2001. “And so we’ve lost this war, not because they’re good or we’re not, but because of who we are. The American Empire can’t spend the bodies or the time or the cash to fix this crazyass place, because in the final analysis, election-year W. was right—we’re not nation builders…we ought to tally our dead, write up our losses, and count ourselves lucky to still be called a superpower.” My piece, for The Village Voice, was titled “How We Lost Afghanistan.”

It was published eighteen years ago. But not in the Post. They didn’t want to hear what lefties like me had to say.

They still don’t.
Afghanistan was not a passing fancy for me. I wrote hundreds of essays and drew hundreds of cartoons urging an end to the madness. It was lonely. Even Democrats liked the Afghan war; they called it the right war while Iraq was the dumb one.

I went back to the country, traveling independently as an unembedded reporter, several times. I wrote the first book about the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, the only book about oil pipeline politics in that country, a book placing Afghanistan in the context of Central Asia, and yet another book comparing the state of Afghanistan when Obama said we were pulling out—another lie—with how it was at the start of the war.

What was my reward for being right while everyone else was wrong? Hundreds of death threats. Getting fired by my client newspapers and magazines. It’s hard to believe now but back in 2004 George W. Bush was popular and being compared to Winston Churchill; that was the year that the “liberal” New York Times and Washington Post stopped running my work.

Major news outlets and book reviewers ignored my books. Editors refused to hire me. Producers wouldn’t book me. Anyone opposed to the Afghanistan war was censored from U.S. corporate media.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2001/12/11 ... ghanistan/
Americans, mostly of the right and the post-9-11 squishy left, want Afghanistan and its jihad boys out of their hair. For the most part, the barn door has long remained open—tens of thousands of jihad grads are everywhere from Alabama to Alberta, and camps remain operational in Pakistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and elsewhere. But even assuming that the locals are mistaken about Osama having packed up for a new cave on the Pakistani side of the Kashmiri Line of Control, closing the Taliban Club isn’t likely to put an end to Islamic extremism here. For one thing, the Northern Alliance itself remains a hotbed of Muslim fundamentalism—with few exceptions, women remain out of sight and out of work, Sharia law still enforces stoning as punishment, and America is still viewed as a blank-check endorser of Israeli war crimes and Saudi corruption. And for all of America’s talk of dropping as many yellow food packs—I haven’t seen a single one, by the way—as bombs, Bush Deux is already losing interest in this accursed buffer state just as his father did after the Soviet withdrawal in 1989.

“Next target: Saddam,” reads a handwritten sign on a derelict Soviet tank outside a “secret” American base south of the Uzbek border. “It would take billions of dollars to even begin rebuilding this country,” an American officer who refused to give his name noted while his driver worked on a flat tire. “Billions of dollars and many, many years. We don’t have that kind of attention span. Bombing Iraq will be a lot sexier than teaching Afghans how to read.”
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Here is a gem from Ted Rall's village voice article that jingos might enjoy:
Losing this desolate international leftover inspired testy sepoys to rise up against their supposed betters, sparking a chain of events that ultimately led to Indian independence, decimated the empire, and reduced England to a European backwater offering neither steady employment nor edible food to its pasty citizenry.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2001/12/11 ... ghanistan/
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

anmol wrote:Image
And that should scare the hell out of us. US interference in the Indian subcontinent. Once assets are in place the current or future POTUS has stick to beat India with.

It took nearly 200 years to get the British out of India. It will take 2000 years to get the Americans out.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Adding insult to a possible injury !

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/p ... 2019-12-12

so a wrist slap when you try to bomb another country ? :roll:
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Nobody seems to have noticed: the only two rich societies in the world with falling life expectancies, incomes, savings, happiness, trust — every single social indicator you can imagine — are America and Britain.
https://eand.co/this-is-how-a-society-dies-35bdc3c0b854
What does the average Anglo-American aspire to be, do, have? To be rich, powerful, careless, selfish, and dumb, now, mostly. We don’t, as societies or cultures, value learning or knowledge or magnanimity or great and noble things, anymore. We shower millions on reality TV stars and billions on “investment bankers.” The average person has become a tiny microcosm of the aspirations and norms of elites — they’re not curious, empathetic, decent, humane, noble, kind, in pursuit of wisdom, truth, beauty, meaning, purpose. We’ve become cruel, indecent, obscene, comically shallow, and astonishingly foolish people.
A more technical, formal way to say that is: our societies have now become too poor to afford public goods and social systems. But public goods and social systems are what make a modern, rich society. What’s a society without decent healthcare, schools, universities, libraries, education, parks, transport, media — available to all, without life-crippling “debt”? It’s not a modern society at all. But more and more, it’s not America or Britain, either.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking ... epublican/
BREAKING: Democrat Congressman Leaving Party Over Impeachment, Becoming Republican

“Van Drew’s congressional and campaign staff were informed he was planning to switch parties on Saturday, according to Democratic sources,” Politico reported. “The question was now when, not if, Van Drew was joining the Republican Party, according to several Democrats with knowledge of the ongoing conversations.”
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

kit wrote:Adding insult to a possible injury !

UBCN Anal-e-sys has now evaluated this report:

In the State Department letter sent in August, Andrea Thompson "admonished Pakistan for having 'relocated, maintained and operated' the American-made F-16s and the AMRAAM missiles they use from forward operating bases not not approved under the original terms of the sale," the US News & World Report said.

But note that per the same farticle, Foreign Policy claimed to have done a COUNT of F-16s and certified that none was missing.

Let's mull that: So FoPo knew how to COUNT F-16s that were located at "unapproved bases" (read Skardu where they keep the F-16s with the bums-e-nook missing nukes). Enough to CERTIFY THAT ALL WERE PRESENT. Back in Feb/march within days of the shootdown.

(Unless of course FoPo also counted the pieces lying on the forest floor in POrK to certify "all accounted-for". )

But it is a SURPRISE to Fog-e-Bottom that they are stationed at these "unapproved forward bases" with the explicit purpose of nuking Indian cities? And you wonder at the Karma of DT using a broom to clean up the bottoms of Fog-e-Bottom?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

vijayk wrote:https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking ... epublican/
BREAKING: Democrat Congressman Leaving Party Over Impeachment, Becoming Republican
BoJo effect on "motion" in the stables? Some journos had already begun to smell the fear. Back in the 1990s/early 200s, several donkeys switched, e.g. "Zell" Miller, former Lt.Guv of Jawjah. Became Senaor b4 and/or after switch.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

UlanBatori wrote:
kit wrote:Adding insult to a possible injury !

UBCN Anal-e-sys has now evaluated this report:

In the State Department letter sent in August, Andrea Thompson "admonished Pakistan for having 'relocated, maintained and operated' the American-made F-16s and the AMRAAM missiles they use from forward operating bases not not approved under the original terms of the sale," the US News & World Report said.

But note that per the same farticle, Foreign Policy claimed to have done a COUNT of F-16s and certified that none was missing.

Let's mull that: So FoPo knew how to COUNT F-16s that were located at "unapproved bases" (read Skardu where they keep the F-16s with the bums-e-nook missing nukes). Enough to CERTIFY THAT ALL WERE PRESENT. Back in Feb/march within days of the shootdown.

(Unless of course FoPo also counted the pieces lying on the forest floor in POrK to certify "all accounted-for". )

But it is a SURPRISE to Fog-e-Bottom that they are stationed at these "unapproved forward bases" with the explicit purpose of nuking Indian cities? And you wonder at the Karma of DT using a broom to clean up the bottoms of Fog-e-Bottom?

This must be kept framed inside the MEA to respond to any news that the americans are giving new AMRAAMS (AMRAAM D) to the pakis to fight the mullahs citing "will not be used for any other purposes" "safeguards" " will not alter the balance of power" ad nauseum... The buggers have even refused to reveal details of the "agreement" they have with Pakistan !!..so much for "ALLY " !!!! .. Now they want greater access to Indian market, "show India's cooperation" "to release high tech" .. they ARE paki number 1
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

UlanBatori wrote:WTH is this? Now Jewish US citjens have to write "Israel" under "Nationality"? I am really confused on this one.
Under this, Xtians should be "Palestinian" or "Vaticanian" in nationality, hain? There must be more here than is in this report: the idea given is that this will allow the Dept of Education to withhold funding from universities/colleges that don't ban the right of free citjens to boycott companies that do bijnej with Israel. But.... :?:
UlanBatoriji,
Since you bring up the Führer, so many times, let me tell you that the Third Reich was unique in the sense that it transformed Judaism from a religion to a race. You can change religion to save you life, but how can you change race? To keep the "Aryan" race pure, it passed one law (among many such laws) that allowed the Jews to take pure German names. But for taking a German name (such as Baldur or Gudrun for example) for a Jewish man, his middle name had to be "Israel" and for a Jewish women her middle name had to be "Sarah". This defeated the purpose of taking a German name. So, Israel has a long history. Just for your information.
Gautam
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Third Reich is used a bit too much, it is long gone. Kashmir/ Punjab/Sindh/Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Rwanda, Sri Lanka and Syria genocides are far more recent. (and Xinjiang coming up..) The DTstani order is that people of a certain **religion*** are automatically considered to be of a foreign ****nationality***. Equivalent would be if, say One Commyoonitians in India were ordered to put down "Saudi Arabia" under "Nationality" on their Aadhar. Isn't it worse than requiring all (certain religion) citjens to wear yellow armband (also done under the gentle Fuhrer's dispensation) in 1940s Oirope?
But I am told that this is done to PLEASE these citjens.
I must have read this wrong, it makes absolutely no sense. Someone pls explain. Why are these powerful citjens not yelling?
P.S. How do u put the "umlaut" on the PeeArek keyboard, hain? :?:
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Hadn't expected to see this come out in the BBC- Will UK provide light bulb moment for US Democrats?

Seems the realization, that the chickens are coming home to roost on tall promises, and teh credibility of the Left has taken a severe beating for al Bartania's PeePeeSee also to question the credibility of the Left. Quoting some excerpts on the disconnect here.
So what should Democrats learn from the misery that befell the Labour Party last Thursday night? And more particularly can they afford to have Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren as their candidate and stand a chance of defeating Donald Trump in 2020 after the shellacking meted out to Jeremy Corbyn and his brand of radical, left-wing policies?
The problem is that the pragmatic, working-class people of Sedgefield - and any number of other constituencies across the industrial towns and cities of the UK - held their collective noses and said you must be joking. These are smart, savvy people. They know that you don't get something for nothing.

Electoral districts that all my life have been Labour - Blyth Valley, Bolsover, Rother Valley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Dudley, Grimsby - are now held by the Conservatives. It is hard to overstate just how seismic this is. And remember social class in the UK has always been a bigger determinant of how people vote than it has been in the US. Just like the whole class system, frankly. Some of these constituencies have never, ever flirted with the right.
But among the radical/socialist/progressive/liberal (choose your epithet) wing of the Democratic Party there is an ambition, a hunger for earth-shaking pledges. The bold Green New Deal, Medicare for all (which to those of us who are European may not seem such a giant leap) - these are big ticket policy ambitions with even greater price tags attached.
Ratifying something that's been long discussed. Being Left has become the hallmark of the young and restless, and not the working people- Labour is not representative of the working classes anymore.
I saw two sets of statistics that really struck me. In last Thursday's election, it seems 58% of 18-24 year-olds voted Labour. Only 16% of those over 60, it's estimated, voted Labour. Similarly, the percentage of Democrats under 30 and qualified to vote in the primaries who are backing either Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren is massive. Something like 70%. Everyone else in the field is an also ran. But look at any statistics on election turnout, and you will see it is those infuriating oldies who vote in the highest numbers.
Grasshoppers and cows

And to Democrats in the US who look at their Twitter feeds and see the "likes" and retweets mounting up as they advance this or that position, let the 2019 UK election be a warning to you.

For some Labour activists the result of the election seems to have come as a massive shock, because in the echo chamber world that we all now to a greater or lesser extent live in, you come away with the impression that everyone thinks like you. Twitter is not the real world. Nowhere near.

In the 1980s and 1990s when protestors would take to the streets of London over the Poll Tax or the siting of American cruise missiles at Greenham Common or more recently the Iraq War, and most recently the huge protest marches backing Remain, the participants would often claim that because so many people had come out onto the streets this was the view of the British people. But for the million who may have protested (still a huge number), there were 59 million who had stayed at home.

American Democrats need to be mindful of this. People like Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may be a social media genius (and she is), and she may have a massive number of followers (and she has), and be charismatic (and she has that by the bucketload) - but America is a big country with an awful lot of voters who are not signed up to all the "woke" things she and others might be advocating.

The best voice on this is from a pre-tweeting, pre-electronic media, pre-opinion poll age - and it is from the 18th century English philosopher, Edmund Burke. He wrote:

"Because half a dozen grasshoppers under a fern make the field ring with their importunate chink, whilst thousands of great cattle, reposed beneath the shadow of the British oak, chew the cud and are silent, pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field."

Labour in the UK lost the working class, but gained the woke. And that will give the party sleepless nights over the coming months and years. It was their worst defeat since 1935.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

UlanBatori wrote:Third Reich is used a bit too much, it is long gone. Kashmir/ Punjab/Sindh/Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Rwanda, Sri Lanka and Syria genocides are far more recent. (and Xinjiang coming up..) The DTstani order is that people of a certain **religion*** are automatically considered to be of a foreign ****nationality***. Equivalent would be if, say One Commyoonitians in India were ordered to put down "Saudi Arabia" under "Nationality" on their Aadhar. Isn't it worse than requiring all (certain religion) citjens to wear yellow armband (also done under the gentle Fuhrer's dispensation) in 1940s Oirope?
But I am told that this is done to PLEASE these citjens.
I must have read this wrong, it makes absolutely no sense. Someone pls explain. Why are these powerful citjens not yelling?
P.S. How do u put the "umlaut" on the PeeArek keyboard, hain? :?:
Actually Pakistan implemented 3rd Reich type final solution on Hindus and Sikhs. It is a perfect Fascist state along with countries which have similar laws.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

1989 in Kashmir Valley was a heck of a lot worse than "Kristallnacht". IOW, time for us to drop the "Ho...st" as the Standard for horror and the gold standard of victimhood, with all respect to the real victims there. Our ppl have suffered far far worse, and the danger looms large. Even todin, the former Paki super-diplomat whatzit writes, in counting off Paki frustration, that "the west won't allow nuclear war between India-Pak". Note that a nuclear wipeout is their ultimate hope against India, still believing fully (and I can't blame them there) that sdre retaliation will not be effective.

Anyway, OT I suppose. My question is still why any religious community will be happy at being officially stereotyped as loyal to a foreign nation. Back in 2003, the reason why the OCI was specifically diluted from the status of "dual citjen" was a plea from ppl in Fiji and maybe Carribbean/ Central America that they would be hounded out of their home nations if India promised dual citjenship to ppl of Indian origin.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 16 Dec 2019 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

FBI secretly demands a ton of consumer data from credit agencies. Now lawmakers want answers

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-secretly ... 54884.html
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Seems a bit far-fetched. Deyning an election in 2020 means denying 50x2 Primaries, 2 Conventions, 3 POTUS2b Debates, 3 Veep2B debates, a POTUS election, 100,000 Exit Polls, and all the $B in TV advertising. The US stock market would collapse, the 2 Convention cities will go broke, and 20 million jobs will be lost. Are SC judges really protected from lynching by donkeystanis?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

"Birth Tourism": Wonder what exactly is the crime here: Sure they were doing what chinese do best; probably Briish, other oiropeans, all doing the same, don't know about desis. Will be interesting to see what happens in court.

AFAIK, the law says "Bawn in the Yoo Ess Ay". Does **NOT** say, "Bawn in the Yoo Ess Ay, and unless parents are gora, it is presumed that your parents are crooks."
Maybe they have to say that Born in the USA to parents who were not on tourist visa. That gets into the whole Dreamer thing.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

UK 2019 elections will influence the US 2020 elections in more ways than we can anticipate.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

But there's 11 months to go for the BREXIT to turn into a total disaster, and UK economy to go into the pakistan. BoJo may win high marks for political execution, but what about admnistration I wonder. If UK becomes a poster child for "Conservative" cretinism like the 2008 US meltdown, the situation may reverse. Very likely IMO.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

Don't think so Saar. Traveling around YouYesA on work especially some blue states up near the lakes the sentiment on the ground doesn't reflect any sympathy for the DemocRats. In my home state of Texas, all the talk of purple it's going to bright red come next election cycle.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Waiting for HRC to throw her hat in the ring one last time.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Vikas wrote:Waiting for HRC to throw her hat in the ring one last time.
I don't think she's going to do it. After floating a few trial balloons in the last two months, I guess she would have been given the feeler, that it's not going to cut the mustard. Who would back her? Does she have the financial resources?

The Donkey campaign for WHOTUS seems to be like an impending train wreck. Drump is going to come back. This impeachment motion is also going to fizzle out.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Understanding the US - Again

Post by Peregrine »

Trump on track to become third U.S. president to be impeached - Reuters - Susan Cornwell and Arshad Mohammed

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/trump-poised- ... 05536.html

U.S. President Donald Trump attends the annual Army-Navy football game at Lincoln Finnanical Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican Donald Trump is this week likely to become the third U.S. president to be impeached when the Democratic-led House of Representatives votes on charges stemming from his effort to pressure Ukraine to investigate political rival Joe Biden.

Trump faces one charge of abusing his power by asking Ukraine to investigate Biden, a leading Democratic contender to oppose him in the 2020 U.S. presidential election, and one of obstructing Congress' investigation into the matter.

The president has denied wrongdoing and accused Democrats of a baseless and politically-motivated bid to oust him from power.

The House is likely to take up impeachment on Wednesday, setting the stage for a vote this week on whether to approve the charges and send the matter to the Republican-led Senate to hold a trial on whether to remove Trump from office.

Democrats, who enjoy a 36-seat majority in the House, are expected to win an impeachment vote, which requires a simple majority.

Republicans hold 53 of the 100 seats in the Senate, where they appear likely to prevail in any trial against Trump, which would require a two-thirds majority of those present to remove him from office.

Seeking to shape any trial, Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer called on Sunday for testimony from White House acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, former national security adviser John Bolton, Mulvaney aide Robert Blair and budget official Michael Duffey.

Schumer made his appeal in a letter to Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who said last week he was coordinating with the White House and has raised the prospect of a short impeachment trial in which no witnesses would be called.

"I hope we can come to an agreement about a fair trial," Schumer told MSNBC in an interview on Monday.

House Democrats also sought testimony from the four men in their inquiry, but they did not appear.

The House Judiciary Committee voted 23-17 on Friday along party lines to approve the two charges against Trump and to send the matter to the full chamber. Late on Sunday, the panel issued its full report detailing the case against him.

In a tweet on Monday, White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said Schumer's comments seeking fairness were "laughable" after the release of the 658-page report "in the middle of the night. Thankfully the people of this country continue to see the partisan sham that this is."

A McConnell spokesman did not directly address Schumer's requests, but said the Senate majority leader "plans to meet with Leader Schumer to discuss the contours of a trial soon."

DEFECTION

No U.S. president has been removed as a direct result of impeachment.

Richard Nixon resigned in 1974 before he could be removed, while Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were impeached by the House, respectively in 1868 and 1998, but not convicted by the Senate.

Senior House Democrats expect to win any impeachment vote, albeit with the possibility of some defections from moderates facing tough re-elections next year in Trump-leaning districts.

Representative Jeff Van Drew, a conservative Democrat from New Jersey who opposed impeachment, is planning to become a Republican, media reported over the weekend. The news prompted a mass resignation of staffers in his office.

In congressional hearings, Democrats have accused Trump of endangering the U.S. Constitution, jeopardizing national security and undermining the integrity of next year's U.S. presidential election by asking Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in a July phone call to investigate Biden and his son Hunter Biden, who was on the board of a Ukrainian gas company.

Democrats argue impeachment is an urgent necessity because Trump has continued his alleged misconduct, endangering the integrity of the 2020 election.

Republicans have defended Trump and accused Democrats of a partisan effort aimed at overturning his upset 2016 victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton. Trump has branded the entire impeachment drive a sham.

"READ THE TRANSCRIPTS! The Impeachment Hoax is the greatest con job in the history of American politics!" he said in a tweet on Monday.

Trump has alleged the Bidens were involved in corruption in Ukraine and should be investigated there, but has offered no evidence. Biden, a former U.S. vice president, has denied wrongdoing.

Cheers Image
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:
Vikas wrote:Waiting for HRC to throw her hat in the ring one last time.
I don't think she's going to do it. After floating a few trial balloons in the last two months, I guess she would have been given the feeler, that it's not going to cut the mustard. Who would back her? Does she have the financial resources?

The Donkey campaign for WHOTUS seems to be like an impending train wreck. Drump is going to come back. This impeachment motion is also going to fizzle out.
Run a poll. Don't go by our own bias.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

If witnesses are called then Biden and son will be included.
Schiff might be also called.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

That will be good news for Bernie Sanders. Sanders would be hoping for some dirt on Biden and his son coming out in the hearings. Currently he is running second in the polls behind Biden and has no chance of becoming the Democrat Nominee to take on Trump for presidency if something does not go wrong for Biden.
Bernie Sanders is a dangerous combination - a leftist loonie with pakistani campaign advisers.If he becomes the top draw all the jihadi elements like pakistani/ISI agent Ghulam Fai would come out in the open and bankroll him (if they are not already doing it).