Terroristan - November 11, 2019

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
menon s
BRFite

Re: Terroristan - November 11, 2019

Post by menon s »

More than 100 people killed in neelum Valley, on account of avalanches.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posting on the P E S W Thread

Housing society approved for PAF martyrs defrauded people of billions, NAB tells court
An accountability court on Wednesday extended the remand of two detained builders for 14 more days in connection with a probe into reports of fraud in the Fazaia Housing Scheme Karachi (FHSK).
During the hearing today, the court was informed about how the land was acquired in the name of ‘shuhada (martyrs) and war heroes’, but hardly any units were allotted to the same. The investigation officer also highlighted how some Pakistan Air Force (PAF) officials had lured their own peers into purchasing housing units and made millions in the process.
Cheers Image
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

Ghafoor replaced by Babar Ifthikar as DG ISPR. Asif Ghafoor finally gets his promotion as GOC Okara.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

ECP suspends membership of 318 lawmakers - Our Correspondent

ISLAMABAD: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Thursday suspended the membership of 318 lawmakers for not submitting relevant details, Express News reported.

ECP has apprised the parliament and secretaries of all four provinces that the suspended lawmakers cannot take part in assembly proceedings and legislation.

ECP gives Bilawal two weeks to remove discrepancies in assets details

Among those suspended are, Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry, Religious Affairs Minister Pir Noorul Haq Qadri, Sadaqat Abbasi, Aamir Kiyani, Sanaullah Musti Khel, Farrukh Habib, Raja Riaz, Tariq Bashir Cheema, Aamir Liaquat Hussain, Alamgir Khan, Abdul Qadir Patel, Burgess Tahir and Raja Pervaiz Ashraf.

According to the ECP, 70 members of the National Assembly and 12 members of the Senate have been suspended whereas, 115 members from Punjab Assembly, 40 members of Sindh Assembly, 60 members of K-P Assembly and 21 members of the Balochistan Assembly have been suspended.

Cheers Image
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

"If the US can target Qasem Soleimani, why can't they target a General in Rawalpindi" : Saad Mohseni, Afghan Australian entrepreneur, and former Afghan diplomat.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Peregrine wrote:ECP suspends membership of 318 lawmakers - Our Correspondent

ISLAMABAD: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Thursday suspended the membership of 318 lawmakers for not submitting relevant details, Express News reported.

ECP has apprised the parliament and secretaries of all four provinces that the suspended lawmakers cannot take part in assembly proceedings and legislation.

Among those suspended are, Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry, Religious Affairs Minister Pir Noorul Haq Qadri, Sadaqat Abbasi, Aamir Kiyani, Sanaullah Musti Khel, Farrukh Habib, Raja Riaz, Tariq Bashir Cheema, Aamir Liaquat Hussain, Alamgir Khan, Abdul Qadir Patel, Burgess Tahir and Raja Pervaiz Ashraf.

According to the ECP, 70 members of the National Assembly and 12 members of the Senate have been suspended whereas, 115 members from Punjab Assembly, 40 members of Sindh Assembly, 60 members of K-P Assembly and 21 members of the Balochistan Assembly have been suspended.

Cheers Image
How big will be the impact ?
Does Bajwa wants to conduct fresh elections in these 70 seats and get Dim darling a complete majority.
Not sure how many of PTI are suspended from NA but my guess is that majority will be from opposition benches.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

mmasand wrote:Ghafoor replaced by Babar Ifthikar as DG ISPR. Asif Ghafoor finally gets his promotion as GOC Okara.
Do we now get new 'Comedy nights with Iffy' after 'Daily show' by Ghafoora.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Cheers Image
Vikas wrote:How big will be the impact ?
Does Bajwa wants to conduct fresh elections in these 70 seats and get Dim darling a complete majority.
Not sure how many of PTI are suspended from NA but my guess is that majority will be from opposition benches.
Vikas Ji :
One would have to glean through the following sites :

1. NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF PAKISTAN

2. SENATE OF PAKISTAN

3. Provincial Assemblies

Cheers Image
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Pak is tearing itself up within. First the night of the generals,with
a googly bowled by the SC on Bajwa's extn.,opposed by a cabal of top brass, stories of forced resignations,etc.Ex- Pres.Gen.Musharaff aka the Bandicoot's death sentence , the Sherrif's grave illness while in exile abroad and now the EC attack on Billy the Bhutto and hundreds of legislators. Even Dante couldn't write a script as good as this one!
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

India to invite Imran Khan, other leaders for SCO's annual heads of government meeting - PTI

NEW DELHI: India will invite Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan along with other leaders for the annual meeting of council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization later this year, officials said.

External affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said all eight member countries, four observers and dialogue partners of the grouping will be invited for the meeting.

"The meeting is held annually at the prime minister's level and it discusses the SCO's programme and multilateral economic and trade cooperation," he said at a media briefing.

"As per the established practice and procedure within SCO, all 8 members of SCO, as well as 4 observer states and other international dialogue partners will be invited to attend the meeting," Kumar said when asked whether

Pakistan Prime Minister Khan will be sent an invitation to the meeting.

When asked specifically whether Khan will be invited, another official said, "yes".

For the first time, India will host the annual meeting of the council of heads of government of the SCO, the bloc's Secretary General Vladimir Norov said on Monday.

The government's announcement on inviting Pakistan to the mega event came in the midst of frayed ties between the two countries over India's withdrawal of special powers of Jammu and Kashmir and bifurcate the state into two union territories.

India and Pakistan became full members of the China-dominated grouping in 2017.

Usually, the heads of government meeting of the SCO are represented by foreign ministers while a number of countries send their prime ministers also.

India has always been represented by the external affairs minister in the heads of government meeting while the SCO heads of state summit is attended by the prime minister.

Kumar said the event will be preceded by a number of meetings in India including one of the SCO ministers of economic activities.

India was an observer at the SCO since 2005 and has generally participated in the ministerial-level meetings of the grouping which focus mainly on security and economic cooperation in the Eurasian region.

The SCO was founded at a summit in Shanghai in 2001 by the presidents of Russia, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. India and Pakistan became its members last year.

In Video : India to invite Pakistan PM Imran Khan for SCO summit

Comments : Me thinks this is Modi Ji's Master Stroke. Pajwa (Waist) will insist on accompanying I'm the Can't and this might lead to India refusing such a condition i.e. I'm the Can't will not be allowed by Pajwa (Waist) to take Part!

Cheers Image
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

when is Pak's turn?
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/five ... 200116.htm
5 Jaish terrorists planning to strike on R Day nabbed
Source: PTI - Edited By: Utkarsh Mishra, January 16, 2020
A major attack ahead of Republic Day was averted with police busting a module of the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and arresting five members of the group involved in recent incidents of terror in Srinagar, a senior officer said on Thursday.
A huge cache of incriminating material and explosive substances, including gelatin sticks, explosives, detonators, arms, explosive body vests, batteries and nitric acid, were recovered following searches based on their disclosures.
"Police has arrested five persons who were active cadres of the proscribed terror outfit JeM and were involved in recent terror incidents in the city," V K Birdi, deputy inspector general of police, Central Kashmir Range, told reporters.
Gautam
PS I hope the Delhi Police is not skimping on their traditional hospitality.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Cheers Image
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

mmasand wrote:Ghafoor replaced by Babar Ifthikar as DG ISPR. Asif Ghafoor finally gets his promotion as GOC Okara.
Is he promoted? if he wasn't promoted than that's a sure sign of asked to go. Previous DG ISPR was promoted to Lt Gen while he was still DG ISPR.

Wonder if he will keep his personal account now..A serving Pakistani general...
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Gafoora really believed in 6th generation warfare and was desperate to win it....

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1RD1R6
Facebook removes accounts linked to Pakistani military employees

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Facebook has removed 103 pages, groups and accounts that were part of a network it said was linked to employees of the Pakistani military's public relations arm, the social media group announced on Monday.

Facebook said it removed pages and accounts on Facebook and Instagram that spread information about Pakistani politics and political leaders, the Indian government and the Pakistani military.

"Today we removed 103 pages, Groups and accounts for engaging in coordinated inauthentic behaviour on Facebook and Instagram as part of a network that originated in Pakistan," Nathaniel Gleicher, Facebook's head of cybersecurity, said in a statement.

"Although the people behind this activity attempted to conceal their identities, our investigation found that it was linked to employees of the ISPR (Inter-Service Public Relations) of the Pakistani military."
I was thinking that he will retire and open a Fauji Social Media company......
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

An Army with a country...

https://nayadaur.tv/2020/01/13-ex-milit ... countries/
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government, in a fresh move, appointed 13 ex-military officials including, 11 retired major generals of Pakistan’s army and 2 retired air marshals of Pakistan air force (PAF) as Pakistan ambassadors in different countries, according to the documents presented before the parliament.

The documents added that on around 40 ambassadorial portfolios in different countries the government picked 13 ex-military officials both from army and air force to engage them in diplomatic circle across the world.
So retired major generals go as Ambassadors and other position whereas retired Lt Gen will go as CEO of major PSUs and head of government bodies..

Pakistan army must have a placement organization that takes care of these appointments...
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

CalvinH wrote: Pakistan army must have a placement organization that takes care of these appointments...
And put a Lt. General as head of the Organisation.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

Fauji foundation is the name ...
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Is this called giving the boot or licking the boot or both? :mrgreen:

Faisal Vawda brings actual military boot to the talk show. The host allows it, plays along; PPP & PMLN leaders walk out of the show in disgust.

During last night's show, while responding to a question regarding Nawaz's health, Vawda said that "shameless" people stoop to any level.

He said that no deals were being made. "In order to save your theft and to escape the country [...] you laid down and gave respect to the boot. You have announced this," he said as he pulled out an actual boot. "In every programme, I will keep this with me, this is today's democratic N-League."

“You [the PML-N] should have given it respect earlier like we have been doing,” he said, referring to the boot he was holding.

The host, Abbasi, joked that he thought Vawda was pulling out a gun, a reference to an earlier stunt by Vawda, but in fact he had "pulled out something even more dangerous".

"You are talking against them (armed forces’ personnel) even when they embraced martyrdom. Today, when it comes to their loot and plunder Maryam Nawaz and Nawaz Sharif should hold this (the boot) and tell the people that we will respect the boot and do everything (to save us)," Vawda said.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

CalvinH wrote:
Is he promoted? if he wasn't promoted than that's a sure sign of asked to go. Previous DG ISPR was promoted to Lt Gen while he was still DG ISPR.

Wonder if he will keep his personal account now..A serving Pakistani general...
He needs to lead a corps before receiving his new rank, expect it at the next corps commanders conference. He actually exceeded his 3 year term as the DG.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

CalvinH wrote:An Army with a country...

https://nayadaur.tv/2020/01/13-ex-milit ... countries/
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government, in a fresh move, appointed 13 ex-military officials including, 11 retired major generals of Pakistan’s army and 2 retired air marshals of Pakistan air force (PAF) as Pakistan ambassadors in different countries, according to the documents presented before the parliament.

The documents added that on around 40 ambassadorial portfolios in different countries the government picked 13 ex-military officials both from army and air force to engage them in diplomatic circle across the world.
So retired major generals go as Ambassadors and other position whereas retired Lt Gen will go as CEO of major PSUs and head of government bodies..

Pakistan army must have a placement organization that takes care of these appointments...
This is in a way good. Paki generals as is their nature wont stop at showing their tactical brilliance and wont care for diplomatic norms. With so many loose cannons all over the world ( and may their numbers increase) pakistan will expose itself again and again.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Howzzat

Why does the media consistently fail to shower me with adulation? If they can adore and idolize other dictators in this realm, why not me? I was so baffled by their behavior that I wrote off to that other neighbourhood autocrat, the Pasha on the Bosphorus, for his advice.

He wasn’t long in responding. First, he wanted to know, why I had shunned him for that other tyrant in the Land of Sand. Was he, the Pasha, not tyrannical enough for my liking? He said he had tried not to take my rejection personally but it was hard to get away from the impression that I rated him low on the despotic scale.

“No, no, no!” I replied vociferously, “I have enormous respect for your sublime repressive policies. I am a huge admirer of the way you have stifled dissent and crushed the opposition. It’s just that some people have really creative and profoundly profound ways of muzzling the media. I’m sorry but you simply haven’t been able to match that magnificent level of brutality.”

The Pasha spluttered and stammered, “you’re being unfair! You just don’t realize how repressive I can be!”

“Ok, ok, ok”, I sighed. “I’ll organize a summit in Islamabad on how to further emasculate the Press, end human rights once and for all, and having killed the Opposition, bury it for all times to come. You can be the keynote speaker.”

I had barely got off the phone from the Pasha when I was inundated by my government’s failure stats. Revenue collection shortfall, soaring inflation, plummeting popularity, alienation of the provinces, foot in mouth disease of my stalwarts, and on and on and on.

Clearly, it’s not only the media that needs an urgent massacre. I must immediately set up a committee on “How And Where To Slaughter And Liquidate The Bureaucracy Which Is The Constant Bearer Of Bad News.”

Let me call the Pasha and ask if I can send some guests to our Consulate.

Im the Dim

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Is Kashmir becoming a forgotten case? - Dr Moonis Ahmar

Pakistan’s priority should have been to practically help the besieged people of India-Occupied Kashmir (IOK) where since August 5, 2019, New Delhi has put eight million people under a lockdown. Instead of concentrating on liberating the beleaguered population of IOK, Pakistan is now utilising its energies in mediating between Iran and the United States on the one hand, and Iran and Saudi Arabia on the other.

Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, who should have launched an aggressive campaign against the brutal Indian acts in Kashmir, took a tour of Iran, Saudi Arabia and the US to de-escalate tensions following the assassination of Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani in a US drone attack at Baghdad Airport on January 3. In other circumstances, Pakistan’s role to help mend fences between Tehran and Riyadh, and Tehran and Washington would have made sense. But at a time when Indian belligerency against AJK and unprecedented use of force against IOK’s Muslim population have reached their peak, Islamabad should have focused on an issue which is a matter of life and death for the people of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and also Pakistan.

One can also raise questions about Pakistan’s capability to mediate between Iran and Saudi Arabia, and Iran and the US. Mediation per se cannot take place unless the parties engaged in a conflict request the concerned state to do the needful. No such request has been received by Pakistan from Tehran, Riyadh or Washington. It is Oman which has a good track record of mediation between Iran and the US in 2013, which culminated in the 2015 Iran-US nuclear deal. Oman has also mediated between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

When Iran became a victim of American attacks, Pakistan should have launched condemnation instead of offers to mediate. The Saudi-Iranian discords are such that Pakistan’s efforts to mend fences between the two Muslim countries may not yield success.

The issue of J&K has lost its momentum in Pakistan’s foreign policy and has almost become a forgotten case because of three reasons. First, the policy gap in theory and practice — meaning how the Pakistani government, despite its claims of pursuing a proactive approach in internationalising the Kashmir issue, has failed to call a result oriented meeting of the UNSC to discuss the situation in IOK. According to the UN Charter, all members have the right to request a meeting of the Security Council and an emergency meeting of the General Assembly if the issue is a grave threat to international peace and security. The closed-door Security Council meeting on Kashmir held on January 15 was called by China and Pakistan which also failed to exert any pressure on India to end its brutalities. Just yesterday, there had been another discussion on Kashmir at the Security Council.

Sadly, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) continues to pursue a non-serious approach on the Kashmir issue by calling a meeting in April this year instead of holding an emergency session. The IOK situation requires immediate action on the part of the OIC instead of discussions in April which reflects how non-committed the Saudi-led Islamic organisation is to the issue. Had Pakistan participated in the Kuala Lumpur Summit, the Kashmir issue would have been on the top of the agenda because Iran, Malaysia and Turkey have rendered their support for the Kashmiri cause. But Pakistan let them down despite agreeing to participate in that summit and withdrew under Saudi pressure at the eleventh hour.

Second, initially Pakistan’s elites were vocal in their support for Kashmiri defiance against the Modi regime following India’s J&K Reorganization Act. But when the time came to practically help the besieged people of IOK, the elites took a back-foot position because for them any activity targeting the Indian military across the Line of Control (LoC) would have been counter-productive and led to retaliation from the other side. When Kashmiri nationalists in September announced crossing the LoC to help their counterparts in IOK, Prime Minister Imran Khan stopped them, arguing that such an act would provoke India. He assured mobilising international support at the UN but nothing happened. About five and a half months have passed since the brutal Indian actions but Pakistan has been unable to muster cogent international support in this regard.

This means that the elites of Pakistan were not interested in taking the risk of practically rendering military and logistical support to the Kashmiris. As a result, the Kashmir issue has been relegated to the back burner. Knowing that the Kashmiri Muslims, after the abrogation of the special status of J&K, faced the threat of ethnic cleansing and genocide, Pakistan looked the other way and merely passed statements.

The Arab neighbours of Gaza and West Bank are blamed for being indifferent to the Palestinian struggle. As a result, Israel took advantage of Arab states letting down the Palestinian movement for independence and inundated the West Bank with Jewish settlements. Saudi Arabia, which has borders with Israel and is termed the richest Arab state, considers Iran and not Israel as a threat to its security. At some stage Pakistan may also be blamed for letting down the Kashmiri struggle and giving India a chance to absorb IOK into the union.

There is no way India will reverse its J&K policy unless Pakistan takes a firm stand on the Kashmiri struggle for emancipation. The reality is that the elites of Pakistan do not want to sacrifice their comfort zones and render practical support to the people of IOK. Those who are influential and resourceful know that any attempt to provide Kashmiris with military and logistical support across the LoC would lead to Indian retaliation and they are not prepared to take that risk. Without taking any risks Pakistan should not expect India to end its military occupation of IOK, and without pursuing a courageous stance the Muslims of IOK cannot be liberated.

Third, Kashmir has been a forgotten case because neither the economy nor politics of Pakistan is in a position to take on India by engaging its million-strong military and paramilitary forces in IOK. Why then is Pakistan not communicating to India in clearer terms that if genocide takes place in Kashmir, it will be forced to provide nuclear cover to those facing the threat of ethnic cleansing? Why has the Indian Army Chief become so courageous that he is openly threatening Pakistan to invade Azad Kashmir?

It all goes back to Pakistan’s need to strengthen its economy, ensuring governance and the rule of law, and bringing political stability. Furthermore, Pakistan must stand ready to face any Indian adventurism in Azad Kashmir. Preparing for a long struggle to emancipate the people of IOK from the Indian occupation would require a leadership capable enough of taking the risk of practically rendering support to the Kashmiris. Otherwise the future will not be any different from the present and the past.

Cheers Image
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Why are these Pakistanis all bred to be hysterical?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Pakistan court jails dozens of Islamists over Asia Bibi protests
A Pakistani court has sentenced more than 80 Islamists to 55 years in prison each after protests linked to the 2018 acquittal of Asia Bibi, a Christian woman accused of blasphemy, one of their senior leaders told AFP.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Gerard wrote:Pakistan court jails dozens of Islamists over Asia Bibi protests
A Pakistani court has sentenced more than 80 Islamists to 55 years in prison each after protests linked to the 2018 acquittal of Asia Bibi, a Christian woman accused of blasphemy, one of their senior leaders told AFP.

Incorrect and biased headline. They are jailed not for Islamist bigotry (that the army, ISI and ISPR initially encouraged) but for going rogue and criticizing the army. It was only when they threatened to bite the hand that fed them, that they were swiftly taken down.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

I am sure they will cite this to the FATF as proof they are acting against terror groups
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Ponzi scheme of Lebanon's central bank to shore up foreign reserves. Now where do we this happening currently?

https://twitter.com/AzarsTweets/status/ ... 8978379777
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Cheers Image
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOlVp00UYAE ... me=900x900

In case anybody was wondering, Ghafoora is the donkey in question. :rotfl:
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

What happened to Khusboo? Bewafaa Sanam!
Gautam
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

you cant make this stuff up. the doosra banda is as challenged as the previous "tweetu sultan"

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/12 ... 1614290946
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

This is a fake / parody account.
Notice how he himself names himself Major, and refers to Gafool as Major as well
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The other thing I was wondering about was, that General Sattar, who was house arrested and then forced to resign.

Was he a Qadiani? His last name is the same as Abdus Sattar, the nobel prize winner.
I know last names don't really tell if one is Shia / Sunni / Qadiani etc, but just wondering.
At the end of the day, this is a power grab by Bajwa, who is destroying careers of anyone in his path.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Bart S wrote: In case anybody was wondering, Ghafoora is the donkey in question. :rotfl:
So many questions, but stick to two:
- The headline is making it look abdul did something out of way. As if an Okhara abdul can indulge in a "natural act" with donkeys in pakistan?
- Why is jernail Bajji-vaayan not being arrested. despite indulging in repeated unnatural acts with Dimkey
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWOEzCRGl9s

Musharraf's Leaked Video on OBL Raid - Behind The News with Haleema Sadia @TAGTV Dec 31, 2018

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

sanjaykumar wrote:Why are these Pakistanis all bred to be hysterical?

Weh you eat kashmir breath kashmir f@ck kashmir one would get hysterical at the mention of kashmir ( oh can we rename the state :mrgreen: ) i guess., poor things have nothing else to think or do , brainwashed zombies
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Pakistan urges US to get it out of FATF grey list.

Pakistan has urged the US to support its bid to exit from the grey list of the FATF ahead of a key meeting of the international terror financing watchdog in Beijing in which it will scrutinise Islamabad's efforts to adopt stricter laws against terror financing and money laundering. (Sure sign that pakistan knows that it will not pass muster during the review of the steps it took to stop terror financing)

A Pakistani delegation arrived in Beijing on Sunday for the three-day faceto-face talks with the Financial Action Task Force Working Group that
would start on January 21. The briefing will go over whether Pakistan has complied with an earlier agenda presented to it by the Paris-based
financial task force, The News reported.

The Pakistani delegation is being led by Minister for Economic Affairs Division Hammad Azhar and comprises representatives of National Counter Terrorism Authority (Nacta), the foreign ministry, the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), among others.

The FATF in October+ decided to keep Pakistan on its 'Grey' list for failure to curb funnelling of funds to terror groups LeT, JeM and others. If not removed off the list by April, Pakistan may move to a blacklist of countries that face severe economic sanctions, such as Iran.

Pakistan has submitted a 650-page review report to the FATF on January 8. The report was submitted in response to 150 questions raised by the FATF regarding new Pakistani policies on money laundering. The report outlined the steps taken by 1/20/2020 Pakistan urges US to get it out of FATF grey list - Pakistan between October 2019 to January 2020 to implement the group's recommendations.

Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi at a media briefing in Washington on Friday said that Pakistan hoped the US would back its efforts to get it off the list at the FATF's Beijing meeting, the Dawn newspaper reported. “This meeting is very important for us as it leads to a plenary meeting in Paris in April where the world body will decide whether Pakistan remains on the list or is taken off,” he said.

Qureshi concluded his three-day visit to the US on Friday after a series of meetings with key US lawmakers and officials, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien.

The foreign minister spent the week touring Iran, Saudi Arabia and the US on a diplomatic mission meant to defuse tensions between Washington and Tehran.

At his news briefing, Qureshi also urged the US to review its travel advisories for Pakistan and encourage investments in the country. US travel advisories still present Pakistan as a country Americans should avoid travelling because of terrorism threats.

Asked why the FATF's Beijing meeting was important, Qureshi said that decisions taken in China's capital would also impact the Force's Paris plenary, which would decide whether Pakistan stayed in or was taken off the grey list.

“We want our American friends to tell us what's their policy,” he said. “You share with us what measures you have taken or intend to.” (The sheer chutzpah) The minister acknowledged that removal from the FATF list could not happen overnight, but said that the US could enhance its engagements with Pakistan while waiting for the removal.

Qureshi noted that in his meetings with Prime Minister Imran Khan last year, US President Donald Trump had said that he wanted to see Pakistan off the FATF grey list. “So, we expect US officials to work for it now.” The foreign minister said Islamabad had taken several concrete steps to meet FATF demands and the time had come for the US to fulfil President Trump's pledge. :rotfl:
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Reining in Pakistan : Thinking beyond Military Options

https://stratnewsglobal.com/reining-in- ... y-options/