Indian Military Helicopters

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Khalsa
BRFite

Re: Indian Military Helicopters

Post by Khalsa »

No it did not.
Rumour mill says IOC will be declared at the Def Expo.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Bharadwaj wrote:Writetake/AK reporting that there may be news regarding ioc for the LUH at defexpo. Which makes more ridiculous that the formal process of placing a limited order is yet to even begin.
https://twitter.com/writetake/status/12 ... 80993?s=20 ----> We MIGHT hear some good news on HAL's Light Utility Helicopter getting the Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) at Def Expo 2020. The chopper had completed hot and high altitude trials in Sept 2019. LUH had completed hot weather trials at Nagpur in 2018, cold weather trials at Leh in 2019, sea level trials at Chennai in 2018 and at Puducherry in 2019.

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

On Indian Navy and ALH, from ex-CNS Arun Prakash:

Not factual. IN issued LoI for purchase of 120 ALH fr ship ASW/SAR early 1990's provided HAL could install blade-folding kit. Since hyd/elect wz not feasable we settled for manual. After decades we hv clumsy system of unbolting & lifting rotors. Unusable in rough seas or at nite.

On the three blade and tail boom folding, from ex-IN Helicopter Test Pilot (this is an old comment from August 2019):

Pls demo this on a ship rolling & pitching at high seas by night. Sailors have to meet operational tasks; blade folding is not the only evol at sea. Minimal parts/eqpt, winds howling 30-40 kts, CO barking orders to expedite, a crew of 2-3 on deck. Can we get serious please?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Completely agreed. But do any of the competitors in the current fray have automatic blade folding capability?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

IR - that’s same as Arjun’s ground pressure bring lower than T90 but being ruled as Heavy. It isn’t important that the other Helos being considered don’t have rotor folding capability. It is important for ALH doesn’t have it.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

IN and CG have already ordered 32 Dhruv with 3 rotors folded back and one in front for operation from ship adding to 8 ALH in IN and 3 ALH in CG already in service.
Why reject the automatic rotor and tail folding version for a very expensive import.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Cybaru wrote:......

Folded image - manual - all backwards.

I think a lot of people dont understand the criticality of blade folding requirement. (not singling you out Cyrus)

Let me explain from a layman perspective;

If you ever walk up to a ALH Dhruv, the first thing you realize is that its much bigger in person than it looks in pictures. To fold blades manually you would need to climb up on the chopper somehow, and even so probably need a super human strength to do it.

Imagine a bunch of sailors risking injury and life trying to fold blades manually in bad sea. It doesn't work because the military cannot wait out a storm unlike civilian pilots.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Aditya G wrote: I think a lot of people dont understand the criticality of blade folding requirement. (not singling you out Cyrus)

Let me explain from a layman perspective;

If you ever walk up to a ALH Dhruv, the first thing you realize is that its much bigger in person than it looks in pictures. To fold blades manually you would need to climb up on the chopper somehow, and even so probably need a super human strength to do it.

Imagine a bunch of sailors risking injury and life trying to fold blades manually in bad sea. It doesn't work because the military cannot wait out a storm unlike civilian pilots.
The same issues will exist for the other competitors (for the current Naval deal) as well. And they don't seem to have automatic blade folding either. So shouldn't all get disqualified then?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

If everything is based on reputation and proven capability, then we should shut all RnD shops and do license manufacture only.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Why even that? Just buy off the shelf. For eternity.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

LUH has attained IOC!!!
Raghunathgb
BRFite

Post by Raghunathgb »

Indranil wrote:LUH has attained IOC!!!
This is a great news. Hopefully armed forces places order as early as possible.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Indranil wrote:If everything is based on reputation and proven capability, then we should shut all RnD shops and do license manufacture only.
You mean apply polish to Foreign built systems, correct?
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

Great news! Now we quickly need to move onto the heavy category -- IMRH. Hopefully in the IMRH programme there should be a naval version built from ground up like the TEDBF. With auto folding rotor, auto folding beach umbrella and all other types of auto foldables. The Chinese have started rolling out copyhawks like rabbits and here we have ordered only 24 of the real hawks. There should not be any further orders after the 24 and the rest of the requirements should be met by the IMRNH.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Do we have any more milestones to achieve OR production can begin ? I hope orders for LUH is placed before Ka226T.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Production can begin. But when will the govt. Actually place orders. God only knows. Mk1A orders awaited, LCH orders awaited and now LUH. Let's see.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

Seems they are waiting for finances to get freed post purchase of Apache and Chinooks therefore delaying Indian helicopter programs for staggered purchase.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

sankum wrote:Seems they are waiting for finances to get freed post purchase of Apache and Chinooks therefore delaying Indian helicopter programs for staggered purchase.
It seems money is always made available for imports first and indigenous product contract suffers.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

Any updates on LCH?
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

IOC is now faarmal for LUH

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonMoD

Hal has delivered the goods.Now can we at least see the AON processed?
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

ManuJ wrote:Any updates on LCH?
Seems like it fell from the sights as everyone wants to have imported super muscle wala Rambo :rotfl:
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

IOC for LUH and yet we will be spending $4B on the Ka226:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CorpDefence/ ... 8348541952

Defence corp
@CorpDefence
First batch of Made-in-India Kamov choppers to be rolled out from Tumkur in the next 5 years
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

I guess the Kamov will be MII since it will be made by HAL as well. We will pay for ToT for a small helo when we have the LUH.

Maybe we need a light utility helo with twin engines that cannot be filled by the Dhruv? Maybe we need co-axial?

Someone explain. I can't wrap my head around the reasoning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sash2904/sta ... 0706875392
Sashank
@sash2904
India to buy 200 Kamov 226T copters from Russia at US $ 4 Billion including transfer of technology (Rs 28,000 crores).
60 will come in fly away condition & 140 to be 'Made in India' at HAL.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

chola wrote:IOC for LUH and yet we will be spending $4B on the Ka226:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CorpDefence/ ... 8348541952

Defence corp
@CorpDefence
First batch of Made-in-India Kamov choppers to be rolled out from Tumkur in the next 5 years
Most importantly the Russians have reneged from the initial agreement of providing TOT for local production from 80% parts to 62%. We should junk this purchase and go for our own products.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ We really should. If it were a small purchase for the co-axial feature then I can understand. But a $4B project with 200 aircraft is a major investment and something that can set maintenance and logistical patterns in our armed forces for years to come that can only take away from the local products. $4B is what our P-15B program cost! We have 280 Dhruvs after nearly three decades of a very successful program IMHO and suddenly we will buy 200 of this helo when we already have a good domestic track record in helo AND products readily available?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Tells you why India will never be an industrial power!!
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

What is remaining for FOC? Its a utility helicopter, so no weapons trials. I always thought LUH and LCH will directly move to FOC.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 35168?s=20 ---> The indigenous Light Utility Helicopter, developed by HAL, received its Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) on 07 Feb 2020, at Def Expo 2020 by Ministry of Defence. This achievement sets stage for operational induction, as per orders, into the Indian Army and Indian Air Force.

Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

tsarkar wrote:
What is remaining for FOC? Its a utility helicopter, so no weapons trials. I always thought LUH and LCH will directly move to FOC.
Sir why do you want to deny our PSU babus the opportunity for a Photo-Op and Press Conference for announcing the FOC during the next or next after next DefExpo?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

chola wrote: Someone explain. I can't wrap my head around the reasoning.
Russia is probably been paid for classified tech transfers. I guess for SSBN.

Russia must have asked for buying by India, as it reduces unit cost and most importantly gives a major flip for Russian exports.. Su30, T90 etc..

Same is probably the case with S400. These deals are G2G deals coming directly from the big office.

4B+5B: 9B of deals with Russia for heli & S400. Not to mention the frigate deal.. must have wreck our budget for a while now.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

nam wrote:

Russia must have asked for buying by India, as it reduces unit cost and most importantly gives a major flip for Russian exports.. Su30, T90 etc..

Same is probably the case with S400. These deals are G2G deals coming directly from the big office.

4B+5B: 9B of deals with Russia for heli & S400. Not to mention the frigate deal.. must have wreck our budget for a while now.
If Russians need to be paid for something, GoI can pay them in cash. I'm sure they won't mind.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

nam wrote:

Namji, I think we have already rewarded the Russians by agreeing to spend $3B for leasing a second Akula. That is on top of the $1B for Chakra. Remember those are leases not transfer of ownership. Yes, SSN isn't something you just get anywhere so I appreciate the cost. But I think we have paid above and beyond our appreciation for their help in our nuke program with the leases. Especially when the navy can't even move forward with IAC2 because of budget concerns from MoD.

The Ka226 seems a bad deal for real MII all around. One, we lose $4B in funding to a phoren product. Two, HAL will be dedicating assembly lines and people to this phoren screwdrivergiri instead of the homegrown helos. And three, the large order will continue to entrench phoren gear in our armed forces. The way I see it, is this thing will steal money, industrial capacity and human resource away from the LUH and the Indian helo industry in general.

My gawd, if you really think about it we are funding and resourcing a phoren competitor against our own project. It makes no sense.
Last edited by chola on 08 Feb 2020 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Vips wrote:
tsarkar wrote: What is remaining for FOC? Its a utility helicopter, so no weapons trials. I always thought LUH and LCH will directly move to FOC.
Sir why do you want to deny our PSU babus the opportunity for a Photo-Op and Press Conference for announcing the FOC during the next or next after next DefExpo?
Common mate. Did you not hear Wing Co Unni's interview? Such flippancy about a prog that has actually done well!!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

We can now start to wait for the actual orders to be placed. Given how glacially the MoD and MoF act, and the budget constraints placed by this govt., I get the feeling this wait will be long.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Kartik wrote: We can now start to wait for the actual orders to be placed. Given how glacially the MoD and MoF act, and the budget constraints placed by this govt., I get the feeling this wait will be long.
Exactly why the KA-226 deal is an even more terrible idea. If we have a limited budget, better to spend it on an indigenous product if one is available. Or else, the govt. should stop talking about Make in India.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 35168?s=20 ---> The indigenous Light Utility Helicopter, developed by HAL, received its Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) on 07 Feb 2020, at Def Expo 2020 by Ministry of Defence. This achievement sets stage for operational induction, as per orders, into the Indian Army and Indian Air Force.

This is great news. This is perhaps as good a scenario as possible for LUH. IOC is done and not one imported or Make In India Ka 226 has flown. If the first Ka 226 is to fly in next five years (if five years stays five and does become seven or ten), then LUH has a head start of 5 years. If managed properly there could be 50-75 LUH flying in that time frame.

Ka 226 platitudes, statements are necessary for keeping the Russians interested. Perhaps help with IMRH if any help is needed.

I would say the game is done and dusted for Ka 226.

Was wondering if there is a case to arm LUH? Armed gunship at 20,000 ft shall be different weapon in the armory.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

nachiket wrote:Exactly why the KA-226 deal is an even more terrible idea. If we have a limited budget, better to spend it on an indigenous product if one is available. Or else, the govt. should stop talking about Make in India.
The underlined portion is precisely the point. The babus/dalals/foreign-OEMs with the tacit head-nod by some in our Forces have ensured that screwdriver-giri also qualifies under Make in India. Once you allow everything under Make in India, the same crap of the last 70 years can continue.

Unless the Govt tracks "designed & developed in India" and sets increasingly ambitious targets, enforces rules (like no buying foreign when adequate domestic option is available) etc, the needle will hardly move.

We are still personality dependent. But for a Manohar Parikkar, Mk1a wouldn't have come as far as it did. Similarly, if a Modi doesn't personally supervise the Make in India project, the gravy train operators will continue to loot our nation.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

The Ka-226 buys a strategic leverage. Nothing less and Nothing more.

Its been the best day of my life to know that LUH has achieved IOC. We here at BR went semi-nuts the day LUH engines were started in a tethered mode inside a concrete pit. Today the little buddy has achieved IOC. Lets re-joice as the beginning of the end has set. The end of importing light helis.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

^^^
Feels like the Russians are buying strategic leverage over us with our money, we buy more so we can buy even more in the future.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Khalsa wrote:The Ka-226 buys a strategic leverage. Nothing less and Nothing more.

Its been the best day of my life to know that LUH has achieved IOC. We here at BR went semi-nuts the day LUH engines were started in a tethered mode inside a concrete pit. Today the little buddy has achieved IOC. Lets re-joice as the beginning of the end has set. The end of importing light helis.
Is it worth it to buy strategic leverage? What if someone bids higher?