India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by Nikhil T »

Not a great idea to leave out Sonia Gandhi as head of Congress from the banquet or the customary meeting of the dignitary with the Opposition. There's no law (unlike in selection of CVC or Lokpal) that the single largest party has to meet 10% to get a seat at the banquet. Seems an avoidable controversy.
Disclaimer: Not a SG or INC fan, but just commenting on the optics.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Sumeet wrote:I think one must note that world is taking a note of Indian civilization our past and present, our progress since we have started to taking it seriously ourselves and take pride in it. Credit for this definitely goes to Modi Shah NDA govt.
Same respect for our civilization was repeated in Obama's speech to Parliament in 2010. In fact, Obama was far more specific in his praise.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/th ... elhi-india
My confidence in our shared future is grounded in my respect for India’s treasured past -— a civilization that’s been shaping the world for thousands of years. Indians unlocked the intricacies of the human body and the vastness of our universe. It’s no exaggeration to say that our Information Age is rooted in Indian innovations —- including the number zero. (Applause.)

Of course, India not only opened our minds, she expanded our moral imaginations -- with religious texts that still summon the faithful to lives of dignity and discipline, with poets who imagined a future “where the mind is without fear and the head is held high” -- (applause) -- and with a man whose message of love and justice endures -— the father of your nation, Mahatma Gandhi. (Applause.)
An ancient civilization of science and innovation; a fundamental faith in human progress -- this is the sturdy foundation upon which you have built ever since that stroke of midnight when the tricolor was raised over a free and independent India.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The only US news outlet that is carrying this in little detail is Breitbart. Even then, those people there want the white Namaste Trump baseball hats.

https://www.breitbart.com/tag/india/
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Nikhil T wrote:Not a great idea to leave out Sonia Gandhi as head of Congress from the banquet or the customary meeting of the dignitary with the Opposition. There's no law (unlike in selection of CVC or Lokpal) that the single largest party has to meet 10% to get a seat at the banquet. Seems an avoidable controversy.
From what I read: MMS and congress leaders from both Rajyashbah and Loksabha were invited (and after accepting now decided not to go to protest against snub to SG).
Also in prior 10 years and multiple Presidential visits when UPA was in power the BJP (the opposition party) party head was not invited.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Nikhil T wrote:Not a great idea to leave out Sonia Gandhi as head of Congress from the banquet or the customary meeting of the dignitary with the Opposition. There's no law (unlike in selection of CVC or Lokpal) that the single largest party has to meet 10% to get a seat at the banquet. Seems an avoidable controversy.
State dinners are based on protocols. Sonia Gandhi is not president of congress, nor leader of opposition. Leader of opposition was invited, he declined to attend.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^^Probably used to being given a high chair and bib
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

UB-ji, that is hilarious. Good one!!! :lol:
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

nam wrote:
State dinners are based on protocols. Sonia Gandhi is not president of congress, nor leader of opposition. Leader of opposition was invited, he declined to attend.
Sonia is President of INC right now. Interim, but still President.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Amber G. wrote:
From what I read: MMS and congress leaders from both Rajyashbah and Loksabha were invited (and after accepting now decided not to go to protest against snub to SG).
Also in prior 10 years and multiple Presidential visits when UPA was in power the BJP (the opposition party) party head was not invited.
Arey yaar, can you fact check before spewing such assertions?

Even when Obama visited in 2015, the President had invited Sonia Gandhi (then President of INC). Even Advani was present - was he in any official position or a party president then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSyd8gyn5M

In 2006, when George Bush was hosted by Kalam, then, Advani was in the banquet again. Even though, he had no official position or party position then (Rajnath was BJP President).
https://www.outlookindia.com/newswire/s ... ies/367643

As you can see from the video, the guest list is not exactly small for such presidential banquets. So to leave out the leader of the opposition party - even when it is the established practice - is just plain pettiness. But sure, let's just spin it and create a narrative.
Last edited by Nikhil T on 25 Feb 2020 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Nikhil T wrote:
Amber G. wrote: From what I read: MMS and congress leaders from both Rajyashbah and Loksabha were invited (and after accepting now decided not to go to protest against snub to SG).
Arey yaar. Can you fact check before such assertions? Even when Obama visited in 2015, the President had invited Sonia Gandhi (then President of INC). Even Advani was present - was he in any official position or a party president then?

In 2006, when George Bush was hosted by Kalam, then, Advani was in the banquet again. Even though, he had no official position or party position then (Rajnath was BJP President).

As you can see from the video, the guest list is not exactly small for such presidential banquets. So to leave out the leader of the opposition party - even when it is the established practice - is just plain pettiness. But sure, let's just spin it and hope this theory gets picked up by OpIndia.
Thanks. As I put the disclaimer " From what I read" . This, as you say, turns out to be false. Thanks for correcting and fact checking. ;).
(Personally I think it is quite silly (this whole business - irrespective of whom to blame - does not look good for India -))
Last edited by Amber G. on 25 Feb 2020 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Amber G. wrote:
Nikhil T wrote:
Arey yaar. Can you fact check before such assertions? Even when Obama visited in 2015, the President had invited Sonia Gandhi (then President of INC). Even Advani was present - was he in any official position or a party president then?

As you can see from the video, the guest list is not exactly small for such presidential banquets. So to leave out the leader of the opposition party - even when it is the established practice - is just plain pettiness. But sure, let's just spin it and hope this theory gets picked up by OpIndia.
Thanks. As I put the disclaimer " From what I read" . This, as you say, turns out to be false. Thanks for correcting and fact checking. ;).
You said "From what I read" for the first statement that MMS and congress leaders were invited.

Can you show us where you read the second statement? Any news article? Its super convenient to spew 100 things with zero sources and say sorry the one time it is fact checked.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ The part was for both - and it was from the same news paper.. (you may do the google and find out as there are only a few which covered this).
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

I did the google before posting and found nothing. Let us know when you find it. Or we'll assume what the source was (hot air).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

BTW, when I look at this (by reading few Indian News Papers) I find UPA quite silly too.. for example take this quote from congress whining...
"U.S. officials had not contacted the principal Opposition for any one-on-one meeting between the U.S. President and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi"
What? They (UPA) are Indian leaders too .. why not *invite* POTUS to meet them. (PM Modi invited Trump, instead of sulking UPA should have joined in the invitation.

The Banquet is given by the President, not PM so why sulk, insist that they become a part of host too - representing India - not waiting for an invitation.

Strange are some comments I am reading .. instead of being positive they are criticizing Namste Trump event. Namste Trump event was NOT an official PM Modi event..( hosted by "Donald Trump Nagrik Abhinandan Samiti,) why not Join there to welcome Trump?)

Just my opinion only. UPA ought to hav acted assertively in dignified way.. act like you are a leader. Not whine etc..

(I don't live in India so my thoughts may be different but when Modi came to US..politicians (and others) of all hue came to welcome him in Texas.. they did not wait for Trump to "invite" them)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Nikhil T wrote:I did the google before posting and found nothing. Let us know when you find it. Or we'll assume what the source was (hot air).
Frankly I don't care what you assume. I know I was right in saying what I said I read and my statement is true. Over and out. No reason to accuse of others of "spewing" or "spinning" over nothing.
Last edited by Amber G. on 25 Feb 2020 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

Nikhil T wrote:I did the google before posting and found nothing. Let us know when you find it. Or we'll assume what the source was (hot air).
If she was invited what purpose it would have served. SG would be more more magnanimous for the free food, CAA protests would have ceased immediately? IMHO, the hag and her useless children should be in Tihar jail. Why do you think this will create any new problems that is already not there. During their regime congress played every trick in their dirty book to get Modi and and Shah jailed, not to mention the whole conspiracy if Hindu terro*.
Your disclaimer that you are not SG supporter sounds dubious based on your previous posts.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

What's with this hyperventilation? You made your point and AmberG accepted it with grace, what more do you want? If you have such surplus energy and time, then take my advice* and spend time fact checking things spewed by leftist portals like the Liar, Troll, etc. It's easy to pick on a fellow poster here and keep berating them in a relatively safe environment.

(* I normally don't dish out gratuitous advice, but your tone with AmberG ma'am asked for it)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Speaking of silly, I find it silly on MMS's part as a former PM putting his party politics over the country. Maybe direct some ventilation towards that as well..
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Nikhil T wrote: Disclaimer: Not a SG or INC fan, but just commenting on the optics.
REALLY? Ashamed or Taqiya?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

arshyam wrote:Speaking of silly, I find it silly on MMS's part as a former PM putting his party politics over the country. Maybe direct some ventilation towards that as well..
Sadly I Agree. If all the reports are true.. it is silly on his part, this saddens me as I thought he was above this.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Amber G. wrote:BTW, when I look at this (by reading few Indian News Papers) I find UPA quite silly too.. for example take this quote from congress whining...
"U.S. officials had not contacted the principal Opposition for any one-on-one meeting between the U.S. President and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi"
What? They (UPA) are Indian leaders too .. why not *invite* POTUS to meet them. (PM Modi invited Trump, instead of sulking UPA should have joined in the invitation.

The Banquet is given by the President, not PM so why sulk, insist that they become a part of host too - representing India - not waiting for an invitation.

Strange are some comments I am reading .. instead of being positive they are criticizing Namste Trump event. Namste Trump event was NOT an official PM Modi event..( hosted by "Donald Trump Nagrik Abhinandan Samiti,) why not Join there to welcome Trump?)

Just my opinion only. UPA ought to hav acted assertively in dignified way.. act like you are a leader. Not whine etc..

(I don't live in India so my thoughts may be different but when Modi came to US..politicians (and others) of all hue came to welcome him in Texas.. they did not wait for Trump to "invite" them)

whom the US president will or will not meet in India is subtly guided by the MEA. With jaishankar in the driver's seat, the message would have gone out in clear and unambiguous terms.

lots of differences between a public event and a state reception for a visiting head of state.

the texas do was organized by overseas Indians for Modi. The dignitaries who came would have requested and obtained invitations to the event from the organizers. Trump himself was an honored guest and the entire venue would have been sanitized by the secret service. The Indian embassy in the US would have quietly driven the event in the background.

In any case Amber ji, with trump's overwhelming security as well as the final say of his own personal security detail in the local arrangements, "free entry" becomes a moot point.

At best, these opposition worthies could come on their own as part of the audience only. Everything else, including, and especially including, these petty politicos ever present demand to be present on the dias along with the dignitary makes their complete exclusion mandatory.

pretty soon caste and SC/ST groups will start demanding their quota on the dias.

the mafia congi gang's demand to include their queen in the state banquet (who, BTW, has no official position in India except that of a mediocre MP) is stretching things quite a bit. She is currently also out on bail along with pappu.

This very public fracas will now warn off many white skinned goras who come to India on state visits and slyly include a quiet visit on the side to pay obeisance to this foreign interloper.

If you have noticed, she never goes to see them but imperially deigns to grant an audience to these visiting goras at her residence.

Does this happen anywhere else in the world.
Last edited by chetak on 25 Feb 2020 10:13, edited 2 times in total.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

fanne wrote:
Nikhil T wrote: Disclaimer: Not a SG or INC fan, but just commenting on the optics.
REALLY? Ashamed or Taqiya?

Your disclaimer that you are not SG supporter sounds dubious based on your previous posts.
Don’t have to justify anything to you. I put country over politics and call bs without looking at which party it is.

And if you #actually# search my previous posts of pre-NRC era, instead of making baseless insinuations, you’ll find my support for BJP and not for Congress. Not that it matters.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Thank God these congressi vermin's aren't attending the state event. Someone among them may end up whispering in POTUS ears as how "Hindu saffron terror" is squeezing poor Pakistan and Muslim Indians and how CAA is disfranchising them.
PS: MMS never did anything to make us beam with pride post becoming PM. So declining the invite is par for course.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Cain Marko wrote:
Dude's going to be real windy after all that fibre.
isn't he already :)
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

chetak wrote:
If you have noticed, she never goes to see them but imperially deigns to grant an audience to these visiting goras at her residence.

Does this happen anywhere else in the world.
Another absolute gem. Yes this happens in the world. And in India. The opposition leader calls on the visiting head of state or government at their hotel. SG never goes to see them, but call them to her residence? Really!

2015 - Met Obama In Delhi at Maurya Sheraton hotel.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... s?from=mdr

2014 - Met Putin at his hotel
https://www.firstpost.com/india/photos- ... 46097.html

AFAIK only time she met someone while in opposition at her own residence was Hillary who was a minister, not a HoS or HoG. I’ll be willing to get corrected, of course.
Last edited by Nikhil T on 25 Feb 2020 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Vikas wrote:Thank God these congressi vermin's aren't attending the state event. Someone among them may end up whispering in POTUS ears as how "Hindu saffron terror" is squeezing poor Pakistan and Muslim Indians and how CAA is disfranchising them.
PS: MMS never did anything to make us beam with pride post becoming PM. So declining the invite is par for course.
bad form for the mafia gang not to insist that those among them who received the invitation for the state banquet should attend.

they have wilfully disrespected the state guest and not Modi.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Nikhil_T: Stop derailing this thread. You asked a question. You got an answer. Move on. Additional discussion on the topic will warrant mod action.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Sure. My last post on this topic.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

So Trump is supposed to give an additional surprise press conference besides the joint statement with Modi. Let's see what he has to say. The fellow can flip-flop.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

chetak wrote:
Cain Marko wrote: Dude's going to be real windy after all that fibre.
isn't he already :)
Now with more zor and josh. God help us all. But I'll take a loud trumpet to some of the silent and violent types that came earlier.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

NikhilT, Don't understand your combative posts with AmberG. Am banning you for a week for lack of manners.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Very happy that NaMo mentioned Sardar Patel Statue.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

deleted
Last edited by chetak on 25 Feb 2020 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

chetak He has been banned for a week and can't reply. So delete your post.
Ramana
admin
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Brahma Chellaney @Chellaney · 13h

Pettiness personified? Just because US officials made no effort to arrange a one-on-one meeting between Trump and Congress Party matriarch Sonia Gandhi, her loyalists (including ex-Prime Minister Manmohan Singh) will boycott state banquet in Trump's honor.
mahadevbhu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mahadevbhu »

kit wrote:
Cain Marko wrote: :rotfl: Well you know, all this excitement gets one going Sumeet Saar.

But seriously, a small silver bullet sqd for current Indian Navy carriers might do well to increase they're punch. 18 fulcrums + 6 f35 per CV?
F35 s is likely no can do , requires a alphabet treaty india is not ready to sign ( BECA) ., probably never. lets just stop discussing F35s
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/t ... 2020-02-24

"According to sources, negotiations on the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) for geospatial cooperation are at an advanced stage. The next round of negotiations will be in March 2020. India is hopeful for BECA to be signed in the coming year. The pact is expected to give a boost to the country's defence system and counter the Russia-China-Pakistan (RCP) axis."
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 283896.cms

Violent clashes in Delhi continue on Tuesday: Key points
NEW DELHI: Unrest continued in northeast parts of Delhi on Tuesday resulting in death of seven people, including a head constable of Delhi Police. The violence that started Sunday evening has thrown politicians and officials into action while social media imitated the frenzy on streets. The string of violence started after protesters against the 2019 amendment of the Citizenship Act, blocked more roads in northeast Delhi triggering reaction from the supporting camp and eventually breaking into an all-out confrontation between the two sides starting Sunday evening. Affected areas of NorthEast Delhi includes Jafrabad, Chand Bagh, Maujpur, Bhajanpura, Kardampuri, Gokulpuri, Khajuri and Karawal Nagar.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

UlanBatori wrote:^^Probably used to being given a high chair and bib
:rotfl:

This reminds me of Trump-mian's jokes about Bloomberg standing on a box for the Democrat debates.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/sta ... 5330925568
Global Times @globaltimesnews

China should not blithely ignore US overtures to India (File Photo: VCG) #India #US #China @narendramodi
http://bit.ly/393THUF
https://twitter.com/Cold_Peace_/status/ ... quote]Jeff M. Smith @Cold_Peace_

Even the Global Times is like: maybe we need to start taking this India-U.S. thing more seriously.[/quote]
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

arshyam wrote:Speaking of silly, I find it silly on MMS's part as a former PM putting his party politics over the country. Maybe direct some ventilation towards that as well..
seriously that is disgraceful of MMS. That shows their priority is more towards their party than towards the nation..these are the guys running a scorched earth policy..