Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Karan M »

saip wrote:Today Dr Trump talked about injecting people with disinfectant or treating them with some powerful light internally to kill the virus. His reasoning is that if these work outside the body they should work within the body too. I only hope some of his followers do not try that (then again may be they should)
You are kidding me. Are you sure this is not a misquote?
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Raveen wrote:
Rony wrote:
Eh, where is the evidence for that ? Did his words hurt you that much that you have to come up with this nonsense ?
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b3b5/d ... 57534d.pdf

Search

Also, where is the evidence to support we are the most health conscious society in the world or whatever the assertion was from OP
I don't know if your intention was to be sarcastic or to troll, but a quick Google search would have revealed that fecal residue in the air and the environment has more to do with public health facilities than personal hygiene of the people of a nation. Such is the case everywhere and it is an obvious fact that Traveler's Diarrhea is largely a problem of the under-developed world as a result.

As far as what I said is concerned, I only alluded to Indians having a better sense of personal hygiene, not that they are more health conscious. I don't know how to measure the latter, but I've had a lifetime of experience looking at the former across three continents. I ought to know, I do this for a living, and I can tell you, Indians have a much cleaner body than many other cultures. Even the poorest in India try to keep themselves clean, including their homes. My grandma used to bathe every day, even in the coldest of winters in the north, regardless of whether she had hot water or not.

I won't go into details but the stuff I've seen would gross out most people here. I believe good personal habits and cleanliness does translate into less infections overall but cannot prove it.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Karan M wrote:
saip wrote:Today Dr Trump talked about injecting people with disinfectant or treating them with some powerful light internally to kill the virus. His reasoning is that if these work outside the body they should work within the body too. I only hope some of his followers do not try that (then again may be they should)
Nope. Saw the press conference
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Aarvee wrote:
Primus wrote: Aarvee Ji, it is indeed sad that a pure science person has to change his career path to make a better life. That has been the situation in the West particularly, if you want to be a doctor/lawyer/engineer, you pay through the nose for a college education, a PhD in science - you get in free. However, not much of a career opportunity after that.

Wasn't there a woman holding up a sign somewhere saying something like - "You pay a biologist $1800 per month, but want a vaccine developed, why don't you ask Ronaldo to do it for you?"
Very true sir. Truth be told, I seriously considered graduate entry into medicine for an MD after both masters and PhD. But got a family to look after, so cant do at this stage in life. Any way, OT for this thread so I'll stop.

Sir, any opinion about potential vaccine efficacy in the context of my previous post about viral presence being in long alveolar surfaces and poorly serviced by humoral system?
I am not an immunologist so cannot speak to your point about immunity within the lungs.However, cells that service the immune system are everywhere, there are 'watcher' cells and 'helper' cells in all organ systems in abundance, some more than others of course. There is a lot that we do not fully understand about our own physiology. It is mind-blowing how much new stuff is being discovered every day. The role of the gut microbiome for example was never thought to be important, boy, were we wrong on that one! There are many such examples.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Apparently, a police officer who was involved in nabbing the Thooblighies in Maharashtra got COVID 19 and came in contact with Jeetendra Awhad (Pawar's handyman in MH), and could have infected him.
Unless ofcourse, the distinct possibility of Awhad faking his own COVID infection, as he is a drama queen, just to avoid the legal heat because of his thrashing of an engineer who bad mouthed him on twitter. COVID19 could be the new "Chest pain" ploy used by politicians to slink out of a situation.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

g.sarkar wrote:
This has been done before in Germany. Remember using Zyklon B in showers to disinfect people. DT being of German origin knows about such use of disinfectants.
Gautam
You mean in the 'final solution' as in elimination of jews? May be Dr Trump should try this on his family members.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Karan M wrote:
Dr Trump will say it is a misquote. So much so today the Lysol manufacturer said 'under no circumstances should you ingest it'.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

"As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)," a spokesperson for Reckitt Benckiser, the United Kingdom-based owner of Lysol, said in a statement
From Lysol manufacturer.

Today Dr Trump will ask everyone and their uncles to start smoking and will ask states to remove all tariffs on tobacco products.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Karan M wrote:
He was misquoted and was talking about using some sort of disinfectant for inside the body. He was not referring to cleaning chemicals that the liberal press is going gangbusters about. However, it's all fun for the press in the US which is no different than DDM in India.

Trump is coming out for 2-3 hours almost everyday giving a briefing fighting a press which wants to crucify him on COVID-19. Yes, he should get blame for not acting earlier and the dead and infected would have been an order of magnitude less as the rate would have been slowed, but has since been coming out for questions and comments.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute.
"Is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs?"
That was his quote. I do not see how you can misinterpret it. At least I can not.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^He was NOT referring to Dettol like products being used in the lungs, but don't let a good bashing session go to waste. He was only speculating. At least the guy has guts to face a hostile press day-in and day-out about this. Anyway, this really belongs in a another thread.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coronav ... -topscroll

Coronavirus: Bengal Admits 57 COVID-19 Patients Died, But Says 39 From Co-Morbidities

Kolkata: For the first time, Bengal has officially linked 57 deaths to coronavirus. The state government today revealed that according to its death audit committee, 57 COVID-19 patients had died, but asserted that 39 of these were due to co-morbidities.
Only 18 of the deaths were because of COVID-19, Bengal Chief Secretary Rajiva Sinha told the media. "Balance 39 deaths were due to comorbidities and COVID-19 was incidental," Mr Sinha said.

The revelation comes on a day the central inter-ministerial team asked for details on the death audit committee and raised questions over Bengal's coronavirus figures.

The central team wanted to know if the committee, set up to certify deaths due to COVID-19, was recommended by the central government's Indian Council of Medical Research.

In a letter to the Chief Secretary earlier today, the central team's head Apurva Chandra asked for records of all COVID-19 cases in which the death was attributed to some other cause by the committee.

Mr Chandra had also questioned the time taken by the committee to take such decisions and "whether such a committee to ascertain cause of death exists for any other disease" in Bengal.

He also referred to the Bengal Principal Secretary, Health, in his presentation yesterday, saying "if a COVID patient dies in a road accident, he cannot be said to have died of COVID".

"The IMCT did not find the reasoning convincing as there is no comparison between a road death and a death in a hospital due to a disease," Mr Chandra wrote to the Chief Secretary.

He said the team wanted to interact with the committee to understand its methodology.

Questions have been raised about the audit committee by Governor Jagdeep Dhankar and opposition parties in Bengal as well. Several groups of doctors have also wondered the rationale behind setting it up.

Today's disclosure may come as fresh embarrassment for the state government on a day the Governor dedicated a long letter accusing Mamata Banerjee of "monumental failure" and mismanagement of the COVID-19 crisis.

The controversy over the audit committee started after an April 2 press meet in which an expert committee announced that the total number of deaths on that day stood at seven, four in the previous 24 hours.

Within an hour, the Chief Secretary called another press meet in which he said the expert committee figure was "an error" and the actual figure was still at three. An audit committee to confirm the cause of death was then set up.

The expert committee has never addressed another press conference since, nor has the audit committee.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^He was NOT referring to Dettol like products being used in the lungs, but don't let a good bashing session go to waste. He was only speculating. At least the guy has guts to face a hostile press day-in and day-out about this. Anyway, this really belongs in a another thread.
What other disinfectant do you use on your hands if not Dettol or Lysol or some such thing? Sure, you do inject medicines. But talking about a disinfectant and then talking about injecting I can only conclude he meant that disinfectant can be injected. Actually I was waiting for Kellyann Conway to put 'an alternate fact' spin on it. No more from me.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 336320.cms
IIT-D develops low-cost kit for detecting Covid-19
MUMBAI: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT-D) has developed a low-cost Covid-19 detection kit costing barely a few hundred rupees using indigenously developed technology. The kit was approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the apex bio-medical research body which is at the centre of the fight to contain the Covid-19 outbreak, on Thursday.

The institute is now in the process of identifying an industry partner and aims to get production rolling this week. The assay or procedure has been validated at ICMR with a sensitivity and specificity of 100%. This makes IIT-D the first academic institute to have obtained ICMR approval for a real-time PCR-based (Polymerase chain reaction) diagnostic assay.

<snip>

This is the first probe-free assay for Covid-19 approved by ICMR. The detection assay eliminates use of fluorescent probes which slashed the cost of putting together the kit. “We instead use a fluorescent dye along with highly specific primers to detect Covid-19," said professor Manoj Menon.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

saip wrote:
"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute.
"Is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs?"
That was his quote. I do not see how you can misinterpret it. At least I can not.
All I see is Trump asking a question. Not making any statement or giving any instructions.

If this quote is the sum total of what he has said. If there is more than the interpretation can change depending on the context of the additional comment.

Remember in case of Trump, you always have to take him seriously. But never ever take him literally.

Now the serious interpretation of this is he is asking for an antiviral injection that works effectively and quickly.

The literal interpretation is that he is asking for people to be injected with disinfectants.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

P1Gs across the western border is going to be the Guinea pigs for their master. :rotfl:

Chinese pharma offers to conduct clinical trials of Covid-19 vaccine in Pakistan
Dawn.com Updated April 23, 2020
A major Chinese pharmaceutical company has invited the National Institute of Health (NIH), Islamabad, to collaborate in conducting clinical trials of its recently developed inactivated vaccine for Covid-19 in Pakistan, it emerged on Wednesday.

The offer was made in a letter sent to NIH Executive Director Maj Gen Dr Aamer Ikram by the general manager of China Sinopharm International Corp., Li Can, who expressed the hope that "a successful clinical trial in Pakistan will make it one of [the] first few countries for the launch of a Covid-19 vaccine".

While confirming that he had received the letter on Wednesday, Dr Ikram told Dawn.com that although no action has so far been taken, the collaboration could be "a great thing for Pakistan".
This News is obtained from Dawn.com
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^He was NOT referring to Dettol like products being used in the lungs, but don't let a good bashing session go to waste. He was only speculating. At least the guy has guts to face a hostile press day-in and day-out about this. Anyway, this really belongs in a another thread.
I can expect such talk on Fox, but here on BRF is unbelievable. He "literally" asked if you can -
1. inject such disinfectant which are known to kill this virus.
2. somehow get UV light or powerful light inside body

And this is not off topic, as lot of dumb folks might actually end up doing it.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

syam wrote:
Manish_P wrote: Hope this is not too layman.. came across it while helping my young nephew with his homework assignment :D
Sirji, I am aware of basic vaccine stuff (good video btw :) ) . What I was asking about is, can any one genetically engineer some other virus very similar to the original virus and make it into vaccine? many believe corona virus is engineered for this vaccine purpose. i never imagined some thing like this happening at this scale.
Sir, if the original virus (with it's different strains) itself has been isolated, it's genetic composition, protein constituent etc identified & that information is being used to prepare it's vaccine (which will contain a dead or weakened form of it) then what would be the need of creating/engineering a similar virus?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Mollick.R wrote:P1Gs across the western border is going to be the Guinea pigs for their master. :rotfl:
They have been facing stiff opposition to administering of Polio vaccines and they expect pigs to be guinea pigs for testing a vaccine against the Allah sent corona virus. :roll:
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/83-survi ... 10532.html
83% Survival in COVID-19 Patients with Moderate/Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Treated in New York with Mesoblast’s Cell Therapy Remestemcel-L

saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Few weeks ago CDC, I think, said you need 60% alcohol for effective disinfection. So one of my wife's patients wanted to know if he drinks Bacardi 151 it will eliminate the virus from his body. My wife did not know what that was and so said drinking whiskey wont help you. He corrected her saying it is rum and she said whatever dont drink because it is no cure.
In the evening I showed her the bottle and made Mai Tai.

These are fair questions and some patients do ask. But you do not expect these kinds of questions from the POTUS. She is a psychiatrist and so her patients' mental faculties are not on the same plane (or they should not be) as that of our POTUS.

May be he should follow the advise of the greatest President (his words) Abe Lincoln. Better to remain silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

Deans wrote:Though the continued high number of cases in Mumbai is a disappointment, I believe we have peaked (in terms of number of new cases/day) a couple of days ago ,when we also reported 1600+ cases. The way I look at it as that there are 16 states with 100+ active cases. For the past week only 3 of the 16 have grown by over 10% over the previous day. Today it was only Maharashtra. I believe all the other states have reached their peak no (new cases per day). Delhi, TN and Rajasthan (among the top 5 worst hit) recovering as many patients as their daily new cases. If we can get Mumbai under control, we have beaten this.
+1 Sir .

Another way to look at it from Rahul Shivshankar ( Times Now ) is 307 out of 736 districts that has not had a single +ve in the last 14 days. Hopefully we will start counting smaller size areas (lockdown areas vs not ) instead of districts or states

Hopefully we can use shorter testing time kits and arogya setu to keep random testing up ( even if repeated ) as we start loosening lockdowns in other places
Last edited by Kaivalya on 25 Apr 2020 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscroll ... 453?scroll
UK Opposition to review impact of Covid-19 on ethnic minorities
By Aditi Khanna, London, Apr 24

The UK’s Opposition Labour Party on Friday announced a review into the disproportionate impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the country’s minority ethnic populations, including those of Indian-origin.
Labour Party Leader Keir Starmer hosted a digital roundtable alongside ministers from his shadow cabinet and representatives from Britain’s minorities communities to kick-start the process of analysing the factors behind black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups being more likely to be admitted for intensive care and die from Covid-19. “It is extremely concerning to see the disproportionate toll coronavirus is taking on our BAME communities. We cannot afford to treat this as an issue to investigate once the crisis is over. We must address it now,” said Starmer.
“In the face of this national emergency, Labour will continue to work constructively with the government. That includes shining a light on issues where it is clear more detailed understanding is needed,” he said.
The Opposition’s review follows the UK government’s announcement that Public Health England would be leading an investigation into the factors behind the higher death rates and more severe symptoms of the novel coronavirus among Indian and other ethnic minority communities in the country. The first set of NHS England data broken down by ethnicity revealed this week that people of Indian-origin were among the worst affected minority groups in England, making up an estimated 3 per cent of the death rate from Covid-19.
Gautam
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/ShamikaRavi/status/ ... 3265095680
Prof Shamika Ravi @ShamikaRavi

#DailyUpdate #Covid19India
While India is still in the growth phase of this pandemic, the speed is slowing considerably. Growth rate of Active cases is now 5.1%, so they are doubling every 14 days.

sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

It seems the lockdown has been relaxed.

https://twitter.com/PIBHomeAffairs/stat ... 94176?s=09
#COVID19 update
All registered shops regd under Shops & Establishment Act of respective States/ UTs, including shops in residential complexes, neighborhood & standalone shops exempted from #lockdown restrictions.

Prohibited: Shops in single & multi brand malls https://t.co/NNz9abgWdA
Market complexes, except those within the limits of municipal corporations and municipalities, are allowed to open.

Mandatory: 50% strength of workers, wearing of masks & observing #SocialDistancing

Relaxations not applicable in #Hotspots/containment zones
I expect traffic jams tomorrow.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Looks like unless people see sick and dying people all around them, they will not follow lock down, social distancing or even a simple thing like wearing a mask. Considering that lock down had virtually no effect in muslim dominated areas, I am surprised there hasn't been an explosion of cases yet.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Karan M wrote:
Anything coming out of Trump is a “misquote” :lol:

Don’t watch his briefings for any value other than for entertainment purposes. Constantly peddling rumors, lies and partisan extremism. No substance.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

hanumadu wrote:
John wrote: Take this with a grain of salt early anti body tests were shown to be inaccurate.
The candidates in this survey seem to be random, so at least sampling should be ok. Are the antibody tests themselves faulty?
Lot of false positives and negatives from these tests so till they are vetted they cannot be reliably used.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/let ... -providers
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

sajo wrote:It seems the lockdown has been relaxed.

https://twitter.com/PIBHomeAffairs/stat ... 94176?s=09
#COVID19 update
All registered shops regd under Shops & Establishment Act of respective States/ UTs, including shops in residential complexes, neighborhood & standalone shops exempted from #lockdown restrictions.

Prohibited: Shops in single & multi brand malls https://t.co/NNz9abgWdA
Market complexes, except those within the limits of municipal corporations and municipalities, are allowed to open.

Mandatory: 50% strength of workers, wearing of masks & observing #SocialDistancing

Relaxations not applicable in #Hotspots/containment zones
I expect traffic jams tomorrow.
Nothing of the sort has happened. This kind of relaxation was up to the state govts anyway. All that has happened now is that baboons got together and wrote some Humprey Appleby'esque gibberish that nobody can understand let along interpret. Nothing big compared with the existing clusterf*ck happening in some states.
hanumadu wrote:Looks like unless people see sick and dying people all around them, they will not follow lock down, social distancing or even a simple thing like wearing a mask. Considering that lock down had virtually no effect in muslim dominated areas, I am surprised there hasn't been an explosion of cases yet.
Too general and sweeping a statement. Most people have been following the lockdown properly, the exception being some peaceful ghettos. States like TN, KA, UP etc have been strict in locking down even if they have had police etc under attack in peaceful areas. Others like GJ, Mah, DL have dropped the ball big time. And WB govt isn't doing anything much other than smuggling in Prashant Kishore on a cargo flight to help manage their fake narrative.

Due to some sections, the hard work put into the lockdown by 80% of the country has a chance of being totally messed up. The only way forward I think is to keep state borders closed post lockdown. And lock down peaceful areas into their own containment zone if they don't follow guidelines.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

hanumadu wrote:Looks like unless people see sick and dying people all around them, they will not follow lock down, social distancing or even a simple thing like wearing a mask. Considering that lock down had virtually no effect in muslim dominated areas, I am surprised there hasn't been an explosion of cases yet.
There's been a surge of burials in Muslim graveyards in April. Many are dying at home and cases aren't being reported.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

THe briefing yesterday showed Bill Bryan post some results of mortality testing done on viruses. THis is the first study I am seeing after the initial study 2 months ago. THe full video is further below....and this is the one that lead to the next set of statements that was variously seen on this thread as as mis-quoting, not literal but mos'ly tactical, ironic/laconic/platonic/gin-and-tonic etc .

Full video of bill Bryan's statement here. It is worth listening. Only 7 min long and has technical findings.
Last edited by SriKumar on 25 Apr 2020 05:06, edited 2 times in total.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

g.sarkar wrote:https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscroll ... 453?scroll
UK Opposition to review impact of Covid-19 on ethnic minorities
By Aditi Khanna, London, Apr 24

The UK’s Opposition Labour Party on Friday announced a review into the disproportionate impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the country’s minority ethnic populations, including those of Indian-origin.
Labour Party Leader Keir Starmer hosted a digital roundtable alongside ministers from his shadow cabinet and representatives from Britain’s minorities communities to kick-start the process of analysing the factors behind black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups being more likely to be admitted for intensive care and die from Covid-19. “It is extremely concerning to see the disproportionate toll coronavirus is taking on our BAME communities. We cannot afford to treat this as an issue to investigate once the crisis is over. We must address it now,” said Starmer.
“In the face of this national emergency, Labour will continue to work constructively with the government. That includes shining a light on issues where it is clear more detailed understanding is needed,” he said.
The Opposition’s review follows the UK government’s announcement that Public Health England would be leading an investigation into the factors behind the higher death rates and more severe symptoms of the novel coronavirus among Indian and other ethnic minority communities in the country. The first set of NHS England data broken down by ethnicity revealed this week that people of Indian-origin were among the worst affected minority groups in England, making up an estimated 3 per cent of the death rate from Covid-19.
Gautam
What exactly is the Indian origin mean does it include the our east and west peacefool nations also.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

saip wrote:Few weeks ago CDC, I think, said you need 60% alcohol for effective disinfection. So one of my wife's patients wanted to know if he drinks Bacardi 151 it will eliminate the virus from his body. My wife did not know what that was and so said drinking whiskey wont help you. He corrected her saying it is rum and she said whatever dont drink because it is no cure.
In the evening I showed her the bottle and made Mai Tai.

These are fair questions and some patients do ask. But you do not expect these kinds of questions from the POTUS. She is a psychiatrist and so her patients' mental faculties are not on the same plane (or they should not be) as that of our POTUS.

May be he should follow the advise of the greatest President (his words) Abe Lincoln. Better to remain silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
No worries.
Tell the patient to inject haldi (turmeric) like one Californian woman did a few years back. It had the added benefit liberating her soul from her body.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

vimal wrote: Vimalji: What exactly is the Indian origin mean does it include the our east and west peacefool nations also.
That depends. The Angrez does not use the term Indian Subcontinent anymore, as the peaceful consider it haram. It has been replaced by generic "South Asians". Now, for example, when a Pakistani grooms a minor white Angrez girl to have sex, or deal drugs, or commit welfare fraud, or bigamy etc., he is called "Asian", that consists of all of Asia including India and China (there are many Hong Kong Chinese living peacefully and gambling in the UK). Pakistani crimes get hidden among the largely peaceful Indians and Chinese population as the statistics will still show low crime rates. For any criminal act done, the word Pakistani can never be used. If you use that word, you are a fascist. If it is a good deed, then "born Pakistani" or "of Pakistani descent" may be used. On the street all Indians and Pakistanis are called "Pakis" by the skinheads. After a while I just got used to being a Paki.
Gautam
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

It is much like Canada. Any crime by a Sikh when reported will omit Singh in the name. Laughable.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Mort Walker wrote:
There's been a surge of burials in Muslim graveyards in April. Many are dying at home and cases aren't being reported.
Its not necessarily a bad thing. It will end up reducing the trust (and control over the narrative) than the clergy and fundamentalist leaders have over the community. At least some educated Muslims are beginning to question their leadership, because they realise TJ has given them a bad name.
A lot of non Muslims who were fence sitters, or unconcerned during Shaheen Bagh / CAA protests etc now understand that went too far, not just in terms of undermining the rule of law, but potentially spreading a virus to the general population. I'm also not seeing too much transmission from groups (like TJ) or minority dominated clusters, to the general population. A de-facto separation of the muslim community will probably be exacerbated once this is over.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

If the majority muslim community has lost people like myself, there is a huge problem. I do not see any leadership that is not rooted in 7th century Arabia.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Deans wrote:
Its not necessarily a bad thing. It will end up reducing the trust (and control over the narrative) than the clergy and fundamentalist leaders have over the community. At least some educated Muslims are beginning to question their leadership, because they realise TJ has given them a bad name.
A lot of non Muslims who were fence sitters, or unconcerned during Shaheen Bagh / CAA protests etc now understand that went too far, not just in terms of undermining the rule of law, but potentially spreading a virus to the general population. I'm also not seeing too much transmission from groups (like TJ) or minority dominated clusters, to the general population. A de-facto separation of the muslim community will probably be exacerbated once this is over.

The virus does not practice religion and kills indiscriminately. In metros where there are nearly 30% Muslims, the virus will spread to the general population. All groups of people have to be brought under the public health umbrella. Like was done with AIDS, Polio, MMR, TB, and typhoid. This is where India has been successful and everytime there is a public health crisis, the west and India baiters snicker about how many will die, but I don't think any government on the left or right will allow that.

I'm hoping the CAA protestors see the light of day, and how the groups like the TJ really does not represent IM. TJ is was largely propagated after partition with hopes of undermining India. I hope the virus has undermined TJ in India.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Moved to the politics thread.