Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by Karan M »

Should have thought twice before publishing pics of a prototype. Idea may be sound but design needs a lot of refining and its best to avoid putting up the raw proof of concept design for PR.

https://twitter.com/adgpi/status/1254741355613609984
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

chetak wrote:
Aarvee wrote:
Sir, link please.
pse don't expect to be spoon fed.

the details are all there: sundayguardianlive and natwar singh.

a cursory google would have got you the link, no
On the contrary any news article posted must be accompanied by a link, lest it open us up to copyright infringement charges.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

chetak wrote:from the sundayguardianlive, excerpt from an article written by natwar singh, who was thrown under the bus by the mafiosi family during the oil for food scandal.

Radhakrishnan was an exceptionally witty man.

The King of Greece came to India on a state visit. President Radhakrishnan (he had succeeded Dr Rajendra Prasad) welcomed him at Palam airport. “Your Majesty. You are the first King of Greece to come to India on invitation. Alexander the Great came uninvited.”

During the war against China in 1962, US Ambassador Kenneth Galbraith asked the President whether Lt General B.M. Kaul had been taken prisoner by the Chinese. The answer was: “It is unfortunately untrue.” General Kaul’s performance during the Sino-India conflict was an unmitigated disaster.

as indeed was the pathetic performance of general pran nath thapar (23 May 1906 – 23 June 1975) who let down the Indian Army as the fourth Chief of Army Staff during the 1962 war.

both were chacha favourites.
Chetakji
We miss such character today!!!
We hardly find witty politicians barring Shampoo boy and his 'Neologism' or Sibal with 'poems'(OMG save me from this reincarnated Kalidasa) or Rahul with his 'pichaatish' :D
The nearest you could find was Lalu with his pithy one-liners like : Jab thak rahaga samosa main aloo , Yada Yada
Namo can be murderously witty but you can hardly watch any debate of the Lok Sabha now a days!! what with 7th pass/reformed dacoits etc getting elected!!
Mods Wrong thread for levity!! Mea Culpa
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Rahul M wrote:
chetak wrote:
pse don't expect to be spoon fed.

the details are all there: sundayguardianlive and natwar singh.

a cursory google would have got you the link, no
On the contrary any news article posted must be accompanied by a link, lest it open us up to copyright infringement charges.
Will do saar.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Thanks to Nitin Gokhale Saar for the interview.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Armed forces told to take “optimisation measures” amid Covid-19 crisis
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2020/04/ ... ation.html
The letter orders that no concrete garages are to be built hereafter for armoured vehicles like the T-90 tank, even though they are damaged by excessive heat. Instead, these crucial combat platforms, costing Rs 25-27 crore each, are to be housed in “tin sheds and not concrete (garages).”

Army trucks and jeeps, similarly, will be housed in “temporary sheds – hard standing with tin sheds.” Vehicles that bring personnel to office will stand all day in the open, since these are “parked for limited durations.”
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXZt4m ... e=youtu.be

Lt Gen Hanut Singh, PVSM, MVC commanded the 17 Poona Horse armoured regiment in the Battle of Basantar, during the Indo-Pak war of 1971. In this video, he speaks in detail of his own impression of the young officer of his regiment, S. Lt Arun Khetarpal who won a Param Vir Chakra

VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

chetak wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXZt4m ... e=youtu.be

Lt Gen Hanut Singh, PVSM, MVC commanded the 17 Poona Horse armoured regiment in the Battle of Basantar, during the Indo-Pak war of 1971. In this video, he speaks in detail of his own impression of the young officer of his regiment, S. Lt Arun Khetarpal who won a Param Vir Chakra
Truly inspiring
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

#handwara trending on twitter is talking about loss of senior army officers in an ongoing battle with Terrorists in Handwara. Not able to find any corroborating news articles. My hopes and prayers with our army.
SidSoma
BRFite

Post by SidSoma »

Larry Walker wrote:#handwara trending on twitter is talking about loss of senior army officers in an ongoing battle with Terrorists in Handwara. Not able to find any corroborating news articles. My hopes and prayers with our army.
https://thekashmirwalla.com/2020/05/han ... -officers/
Two senior army officers are among several security men who have lost contact and their fate is unknown following an encounter with militants in Chanjimulla area of Handwara in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district.

Reports reaching here said that an encounter broke out around 3:45 pm today when the search team of army’s 15RR, 21 RR and elite 9 Para commandoes joined by SOG and CRPF personnel zeroed in a residential house in Chanjimulla where the militants had taken shelter while escaping from the Rajwar forest on Friday afternoon.

“The militants fired upon the search team to escape from the spot. However, the security forces retaliated the fire and thwarted their attempt,” official sources told.

They said that the exchange of fire continued for several hours before the guns fell silent.

Sources said that a joint team of army and police, including two senior army officers, approached the house to further tighten the grip around the militants. However, after that the ambush team has lost contact with their colleagues, sources said.

“One body is lying outside the house. However, it is not clear if it is that of a soldier or any militant,” they added.

Meanwhile, when this report was filed, sources said that more reinforcements of the army have been rushed to the area and fresh firing resumed.

Pertinently, a search operation was started by army and police in Rajwar and Mawar forest areas of Handwara on Friday afternoon amid reports that a group of militants was hiding there. The search team had also fired several warning shots during the cordon and search operation. (GNS)
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

BabaBanaras is probably back as @drapr007
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

#HANDWARA ENCOUNTER UPDATE: All five army personnel including CO - with whom communication was lost - are safe. Operation still on

https://twitter.com/deepduttajourno/sta ... 73378?s=19
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

We have lost 1 Colonel, 1 Major and few other ranks in the Handwara ops. My blood is boiling. Rest in peace my bravest countrymen. Om Shanti.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/hussain_imtiyaz/sta ... 36385?s=20 ---> After a long anxious night, we have this heart-rending news about martyrdom of our brave-hearts.

• COLONEL ASHUTOSH SHARMA, 21 RR
• MAJOR ANUJ SOOD, 21 RR
• NAIK RAJESH, 21 RR
• LANCE NAIK DINESH, 21 RR
• SUB INSPECTOR SHAKEEL QAZI, J&K POLICE
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Om Shanti
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

I get a feeling that today's flypast and march-pasts by our armed forces is some kind of parade before our warriors go to the battlefield. These images will remain etched in our memories and help us picture the faces who fight on our borders as our brave bring justice to demons acriss the border. It's a solidatiry excercise. Else i don't understand why suddenly CDS would announce this.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

Be prepared for flag marches if people in ghettos act funny
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

I believe that if RoPers go berserk in their ghettos, state and central police forces will be enough. While congregating in ghettos gives them benefit of numbers, it also aides law enforcement to concentrate their forces and resources around those and leave other areas lightly policed. Much better than fighting pitched battles across the cities and hinterlands.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Larry Walker wrote:I believe that if RoPers go berserk in their ghettos, state and central police forces will be enough.
Possibly but if & only when they are given the clear mandate and support from the state government...
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Very sad to hear the news from Handwara, but reminds us that as long as Pakistan exists it will be like this. It is the support system which makes people behave like this, if a person death means his family will get wiped out- this is where the BIF system comes into play.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

It could be trap setup by the terrorist. our guys were preparing for rescue mission and terrorists were ready for kill. After the operation and finding are over, learnings must be integrated into SOP. Such operations are always difficult, when emotions and safety of hostages are involved. But I still believe, our guys laid down their life to save the civilians otherwise they could have flattened the building with few triggers.

OM shanti to the bravest!! What a great loss for 2 pigs. NaPak will be punished for this soon, very soon.
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Om shanti

The loss of our men is again on the rise in Kashmir and it makes my blood boil.

I would sooner burn down the entire ecosystem, including lake, forests, tunnels and valleys that these rats use as a hideout then loose one of our men ever again.

I hope the government goes up from asymmetric response to an absolutely devastating one, which includes use of stand off weapons.

The message sent across the border needs to be harsh and visible.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

A Col.,a Major and 2 other soldiers were killed after trying to flush terrorists out of a house in Kashmir. What a price to pay! Everyday our gallant forces are dying.I've said for years that there must be a change in tactics.If it's an ambush,understandable.Once its established that terrorists are holed up in a house or building,max force should be used.Cordon off the area to prevent escape,get snipers,stay out of range of their weaponry and use RPGs ,ATGMs and attack helos to obliterate the building.Any civvies inside are collaborators for hiding them and fair game. The vermin must be squashed with max force safeguarding our jawans and officers.
I would even go as far as levelling all buildings in an area repeatedly being used by terrorists.Relocate the population to tin huts on the outskirts.Simply bulldoze the ratholes. Then the population will learn.

The recent incident when a violent mob tried to grab the body of a slain terror leader,where a woman was caught in the crossfire,tragic, should've had the police open fire at the legs of the mob.I've said before,any protestor,stonethrower,is guilty of attempted murder,must be arrested,deported from the state on a 10 yr. RI sentence to a remote croc. infested island surrounded by sharks ,incarcerated in Camp Gitmo like centres.
Last edited by Philip on 03 May 2020 14:19, edited 6 times in total.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

somdev wrote:What was a Col. doing there in the first place?
I wouldn't consider loosing a Col a bigger news than loosing a soldier. Both are equal losses.

Probably given that people who are active on social media, news & political life don't have any relative who serve as a jawan, loosing a officer makes for a bigger news.

Regarding the Col, he has taken an oath to put his life on the line before his men's. He fulfilled his oath. Our jawans lay down their life, for the simple reason that the man leading them would do it first.

So the Col, Major, Naik Subhedar & Naik all fulfilled their oath.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Nihat wrote:Om shanti

I hope the government goes up from asymmetric response to an absolutely devastating one, which includes use of stand off weapons.

The message sent across the border needs to be harsh and visible.
I always advocated a simple rule. Authorise a week long 155MM fire assault on Pak Army positions all through the LC, duly recorded by UAV & broadcast-ed, moment there is any causalities in J&K. Be it on the LC or in J&K proper.

It destroys more area than a stand off air strike would do.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

nam wrote:
Nihat wrote:Om shanti

I hope.
I always advocated a simple rule. Authorise a week long 155MM fire assault on Pak Army positions all through the LC, duly recorded by UAV & broadcast-ed, moment there is any causalities in J&K. Be it on the LC or in J&K proper.
Amen to that!!!
Sir instead of 155 Arty, why not use Pinaka with blanket treatment. Which would be cost effective as well as effective area sanitization.
Heavy arty: would that be calibrated as escalation!!
Also there are guided P's, would be a good idea to test in real life situations!! :D
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Philip wrote:A Col.,a Major and 2 other soldiers were killed after trying to flush terrorists out of a house in Kashmir. What a price to pay! Everyday our gallant forces are dying.I've said for years that there must be a change in tactics.If it's an ambush,understandable.Once its established that terrorists are holed up in a house or building,max force should be used.Cordon off the area to prevent escape,get snipers,stay out of range of their weaponry and use RPGs ,ATGMs and attack helos to obliterate the building.Any civvies inside are collaborators for hiding them and fair game. The vermin must be squashed with max force safeguarding our jawans and officers.
I would even go as far as levelling all buildings in an area repeatedly being used by terrorists.Relocate the population to tin huts on the outskirts.Simply bulldoze the ratholes. Then the population will learn.

The recent incident when a violent mob tried to grab the body of a slain terror leader,where a woman was caught in the crossfire,tragic, should've had the police open fire at the legs of the mob.I've said before,any protestor,stonethrower,is guilty of attempted murder,must be arrested,deported from the state on a 10 yr. RI sentence to a remote croc. infested island surrounded by sharks ,incarcerated in Camp Gitmo like centres.
i dont trust the Kashmir police ..the high fatality looks like there are moles inside
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Rsatchi wrote:Amen to that!!!
Sir instead of 155 Arty, why not use Pinaka with blanket treatment. Which would be cost effective as well as effective area sanitization.
Heavy arty: would that be calibrated as escalation!!
Also there are guided P's, would be a good idea to test in real life situations!! :D
Fundamentally cheaper and more targets can be hit. Even 155MM is not an ideal weapon in the mountains, but better than rockets which are really of no use in targeting positions behind mountains.

155MM is more accurate and you can plaster a very large area. And the best part, you get to try again if you miss the first time..
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... IpTsN.html

‘Went in to rescue civilians’: Colonel, Major among 5 killed in action in Handwara
excerpts
Colonel Ashutosh Sharma, the commanding officer of the 21 Rashtriya Rifles, and the joint security team that he was leading had waited patiently for an hour after the last bullet was fired by the terrorists on Saturday evening. Then he decided to go in.
and
Colonel Sharma, RR company commander Major Anuj Sood, Naik Rajesh Kumar, Lance Naik Dinesh Singh and J&K Police Sub Inspector Shakeel Qazi entered the house around 5.30 pm.
"Col Sharma wanted to rescue the inmates who were trapped inside the house and wanted to make sure that the terrorists didn't escape. He led from the front, as always," a top army commander told Hindustan Times.
Col Sharma has been awarded the army's gallantry medal twice, the last one was in August 2019.
The heavily-armed terrorists , who had located themselves in the cowshed, resumed firing soon after the five walked in.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Massive failure of SoP if we go by the report!
Absolutely tragic to lose 5 men for some cannon fodder ( shades of the time we lost a brig and almost a general when a presumed dead terrorist detonated himself when post op inspection was on)
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

^ the chronology makes no sense. From what little I know, when you have 5 armed men barricaded in a structure, you don’t just go in one hour after they stop shooting.

According to a recent video by General Hasnain, you surround the structure, you wait for them to tire out - before you do anything. Even if they had to go in, shouldn’t some NSG type outfit be going in? IMO either this was incorrectly reported or something went wrong.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

a big attack on LeT HQ in pakistan is the only right answer bhai log... we can crush pakis economically/militarily ...perfect moment now... baaki to maya hai...
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Some more details on another brave son of Bharat, Sub Inspector Qazi:
Sub Inspector Sageer Ahmad Pathan @ Qazi who was born in 1978 in Trad Karnah of Kupwara District was appointed as Constable in 1999 in Armed Wing of Jammu and Kashmir Police.
He volunteered for working in Police SOG ,an elite Counter-Terrorist Force in 2006.
He continued their till date because of his outstanding performance till yesterday when he attained martyrdom in an operation at Chanjmulla Handwara along with CO 21 RR Col Ashutosh Sharma
Maj Anuj Sood and two soldiers of the same unit.
During his posting in SOG the martyr remained part of and led various successful anti-terror operations.

In *recognition of his immense contribution* ,he was granted three out of turn promotions and he rose from the rank of a constable to Sub-Inspector over the years.

This courageous officer was honoured with various medals which include - Sheri-Kashmir Police Medal for Gallantry in 2009
Police Medal for Gallantry by President of India in 2011.DGP J&K Commendation Medal and GOC -in-C , Northern Command Commendation Disc.
https://twitter.com/JmuKmrPolice/status ... 92608?s=19
Om Shanti
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Room intervention + HRT is the worst of tasks, best done by YOs and jawans who train for it day in and night out, i.e. the NSG. Why are we constantly sending in SF who specialize in COIN, or even ParaSF into such tasks.CQB is one of their profiles, possible they have teams dedicated for it, but even so, they have NSG.

These high casualties need to have us change our SOP. Starve these rats out and then when they are tired, send in the NSG.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

PM Modi pays tributes to security personnel killed in Handwara encounter
"Tributes to our courageous soldiers and security personnel martyred in Handwara. Their valour and sacrifice will never be forgotten. They served the nation with utmost dedication and worked tirelessly to protect our citizens. Condolences to their families and friends," Modi said in a tweet.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

manjgu wrote:a big attack on LeT HQ in pakistan is the only right answer bhai log... we can crush pakis economically/militarily ...perfect moment now... baaki to maya hai...
Agree totally.
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

January 2015, we had similar incident in which CO of RR unit was martyred iirc trying to get some cornered pigs to surrender.
That time RR was much feared and we got the drift that something big will happen since Tiger has been hit.

I feverishly hope we rain down hell on both sides of LoC.
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

Karan M wrote:Starve these rats out and then when they are tired, send in the NSG.
I think time and surprise is an issue here. The locals gather very quickly and they get on the offensive by stone pelting and breaking any corden. The manpower available at spot would almost never be adequate to handle the mob.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

After 30+ years of fighting insurgency in Kashmir we should have learned by now that there are no real hostages, most if not all are co-conspirators who pull army into a trap. Unless there is a demographic change in the valley, this will be a war of attrition but the least we can do is use technology, accept there will be collateral damage and take out whole structures instead of sending COs and Jawans into dark houses.