Status of Indian Nationals abroad

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Re: Status of Indian Nationals abroad

Post by ArjunPandit »

there's a lot of uncertainty on this..i dont think Goi is not doing a great job at communication to those who want to come back which undermines this herculean effort. I am understanding of the efforts because I am somewhat aware what is going in the background in southblock. Why employees and consultants are working on weekends. But everyone is not and those in distress may find it challenging
To share my experience,
i am looking to send my expecting wife and son back home. I already have flight tickets by end of this month but still given her situation (she wont be able to wait after 30th week) and my parents.
So, I registered as there was quarantine mentioned. It was initially paid or at a GoI facility. Later on it changed to self isolation for asymptomatic patients. Either was fine for us from financial or logistics perspective. Registration was through google docs, which while handy is appalling to me as this is norm.

However, there was no email confirmation beyond that would they be able to travel. I am even fine with them staying here as well but i wonder about someone more needy than I and not getting a communication. I can go to High commission, but then not everyone can do so. The flight tickets are paid, which I think is a good step. They have a priority queue, which they should tell upfront. Many of these things are finalized as things are moving. The sad things is we get to know many things through FB or other news site instead of HC emails or some other communication mechanisms. May be this is a learning and people take it.
Again i commend GoI for this herculean effort but the representatives.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Air India repatriation flights will fly out people too
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 582516.cms
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

ramana wrote:Operation Samudra Setu to repatriate 1.8 million Indians from West Asia.

https://twitter.com/kanimozhi/status/12 ... 94181?s=19
Is that number for real? I thought the evacuation plan was initially 15K with up to 200K from everywhere -- US, UK, Gulf. Nearly two million seems like an immense project of unthinkable scale.

I believe Cheen has like 1m students and they basically abandoned taking them back because they faired importing the virus again.

Can't we do this safely? Especially from "West Asia" or basically the Gulf State? I hate to sound harsh but India's current pandemic was famously spread by those returning desis from Italy and Dubai. I fear not only a massive depletion of treasure that should be going towards fighting the virus but also an extremely high, almost inevitable, chance of importing many carriers of the virus that the GOI would not be able to track.

We are a great Dharmic people with massive heart and ethics of the highest order. But I fear greatly. The numbers are staggering. Modi has done an immense job if you look at what I am seeing in the US. But I don't know. Could we be putting 1.3b at rest over 1.8m? :(

I feel like sobbing. Because I think all of us know what is the implication of this. It's Hobson's Choice.
Last edited by chola on 08 May 2020 01:08, edited 2 times in total.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

1.8 millions in population of 1400 millions. Well dispersed. Checked and re-checked. Going straight into quarantine. Should be possible with everyone cooperating.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

VKumar wrote:1.8 millions in population of 1400 millions. Well dispersed. Checked and re-checked. Going straight into quarantine. Should be possible with everyone cooperating.
India does not have anything ready to quarantine 1.8m for two weeks. So in all probability it'll need to be self-quarantine. Dispersal will be based on NRIs' hometowns. You can't force disperse people into places they are not from.

If we screen all 1.8m and then what do you do with the conservative 18000 showing fever or signs of the virus -- going with a 1% infection rate? Or 54000 if it were 3%? The hospital system is straining now with 53000 cases.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

India has a surplus of hotels without central A/C that could be repurposed for quarantine duty for the next couple of months. This is what South Korea has done. Statista says there are 90 million hotel rooms in India, so finding 1.8m over a couple of months is possible.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

vera_k wrote:India has a surplus of hotels without central A/C that could be repurposed for quarantine duty for the next couple of months. This is what South Korea has done. Statista says there are 90 million hotel rooms in India, so finding 1.8m over a couple of months is possible.
actually it might be an indirect way to restart economy. Hotels will resume some jobs too..if only prices can be made reasonable. The GOI talked about charging 3K per night in UK per person. For a 14 day stay for a family of four it turns out to be 168K..not sure if everyone would be comfortable paying this much amount while being out of job..(assuming people have lost job) ....or are expecting reduction in income..
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

VKumar wrote:1.8 millions in population of 1400 millions. Well dispersed. Checked and re-checked. Going straight into quarantine. Should be possible with everyone cooperating.
well based on what we have seen so far ..it is hard to expect....even if you are cooperating..would white collars returnign from YOU Essay or other first world countries be fine staying with tabligis? just asking..speaking for myself i would not be..more so when i have my women folk around..
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

chola wrote:We are a great Dharmic people with massive heart and ethics of the highest order. But I fear greatly. The numbers are staggering. Modi has done an immense job if you look at what I am seeing in the US. But I don't know. Could we be putting 1.3b at rest over 1.8m? :(

I feel like sobbing. Because I think all of us know what is the implication of this. It's Hobson's Choice.
i think the scale, importance, and significance of this thing hasnt percolated amongst most....to be honest it shocked me when i read about the numbers on SM and then verified at BRF.
I think it should be beyond doubt to anyone where the priorities of this govt are..Lives of every Indian. We stopped economy to stop taking Wuhan chinese virus from taking a black plague proportion and mind you it would have. Our streets and hospitals would have been full of dead by now had the govt not taken the step of lock down. And now we are bringing indians stranded abroad. This is in stark contrast with US.
There are lot of people who have lost their jobs and they need to be brought back in closer to their homes, in the hope that they will realise what their country did for them. Did not look for them as just FX senders.
Coming to the risk of others, i hope people too realize that they are putting those near and dear ones at risk. GoI mailers do indicate strong measures like symptoms checks, masks on flights. Beyond which nothing can be done. If people remove the masks i think they should be shot on arrival or may be pay for the stay of others in quarantine. That should be enough for most.
If we cant take pride in being indian at this moment perhaps we never would
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

It would be interesting to see how they will come to expense calculations and collect that cost. Will they block visa or passport renewals? How would they handle corruption if any comes with it?
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

All hotels in Karol Bagh mandated to accommodate quarantine persons.

All doctors in Mumbai mandated to work in Chinesevirus hospitals else will lose their license and be prosecuted.

Mahalaxmi Racecourse, NSCI, Goregaon exhibition centre, everywhere beds being put up.

Raj Thackeray was on TV at 8pm. Said doctors are tired so we have asked all doctors to assist. Policemen are tired so we may get central forces. No question of complete lockdown or military taking over, people have supported so far, now we have put up speed breaker but must stop it fully. Etc
jpremnath
BRFite

Post by jpremnath »

chola wrote:
ramana wrote:Operation Samudra Setu to repatriate 1.8 million Indians from West Asia.

https://twitter.com/kanimozhi/status/12 ... 94181?s=19
Is that number for real? I thought the evacuation plan was initially 15K with up to 200K from everywhere -- US, UK, Gulf. Nearly two million seems like an immense project of unthinkable scale.

I believe Cheen has like 1m students and they basically abandoned taking them back because they faired importing the virus again.

Can't we do this safely? Especially from "West Asia" or basically the Gulf State? I hate to sound harsh but India's current pandemic was famously spread by those returning desis from Italy and Dubai. I fear not only a massive depletion of treasure that should be going towards fighting the virus but also an extremely high, almost inevitable, chance of importing many carriers of the virus that the GOI would not be able to track.

We are a great Dharmic people with massive heart and ethics of the highest order. But I fear greatly. The numbers are staggering. Modi has done an immense job if you look at what I am seeing in the US. But I don't know. Could we be putting 1.3b at rest over 1.8m? :(

Arent the people who are coming in paying for their tickets? I am told that they can choose what kind of accommodation they want. For people ready to spend, Hotel accommodation is arranged while for those who cant, state govts are arranging free quarantine facility for the mandatory two weeks. Or atleast this is the arrangement for quarantine in KL. Nevertheless all such evacuees will have to take a swab test.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

darshan wrote:It would be interesting to see how they will come to expense calculations and collect that cost. Will they block visa or passport renewals? How would they handle corruption if any comes with it?
I can tell you what info was provided in UK
Flight tickets ~530GBP around 50K INR.
https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/news_detail/?newsid=228
to be honest in this time for a one way ticket is reasonably priced at a short notice..

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/news_detail/?newsid=227
Self quarantine for asymptomatic. Symptomatic, no evac, but later on either govt or self paid facilities. Self paid 3k per night..i posted this earlier too..priority being given to those without jobs, pregnant women in initial trimester or stranded students

For asymptomatic home quarantine (this i got to know from some chaiwallah).
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

ArjunPandit wrote:
darshan wrote:It would be interesting to see how they will come to expense calculations and collect that cost. Will they block visa or passport renewals? How would they handle corruption if any comes with it?
I can tell you what info was provided in UK
Flight tickets ~530GBP around 50K INR.
https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/news_detail/?newsid=228
to be honest in this time for a one way ticket is reasonably priced at a short notice..

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/news_detail/?newsid=227
Self quarantine for asymptomatic. Symptomatic, no evac, but later on either govt or self paid facilities. Self paid 3k per night..i posted this earlier too..priority being given to those without jobs, pregnant women in initial trimester or stranded students

For asymptomatic home quarantine (this i got to know from some chaiwallah).
Pricing is exceptionally cheap! You are talking about $670 USD. In the US, flights to India a few weeks ago were US $3K and up to $12K(!!!) I haven't checked in awhile. But that could have come from a scramble to get back to India when things were getting out of control here.

Maybe it is different elsewhere but I think the price is subsidized by the GOI?
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Yes I too have heard of 3k GBP prices, it could be no profit no loss basis as fuel prices are low too... For us, I think I heard 1lakh INR which too is not bad given I've myself paid 75k INR for three month advanced tickets two three years back.. And Delhi NYC is never empty... This is a great thing by goi... Were mustt talk about it
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

ArjunPandit wrote:
chola wrote:We are a great Dharmic people with massive heart and ethics of the highest order. But I fear greatly. The numbers are staggering. Modi has done an immense job if you look at what I am seeing in the US. But I don't know. Could we be putting 1.3b at rest over 1.8m? :(

i think the scale, importance, and significance of this thing hasnt percolated amongst most....to be honest it shocked me when i read about the numbers on SM and then verified at BRF.
I think it should be beyond doubt to anyone where the priorities of this govt are..Lives of every Indian. We stopped economy to stop taking Wuhan chinese virus from taking a black plague proportion and mind you it would have. Our streets and hospitals would have been full of dead by now had the govt not taken the step of lock down. And now we are bringing indians stranded abroad. This is in stark contrast with US.
There are lot of people who have lost their jobs and they need to be brought back in closer to their homes, in the hope that they will realise what their country did for them. Did not look for them as just FX senders.
Coming to the risk of others, i hope people too realize that they are putting those near and dear ones at risk. GoI mailers do indicate strong measures like symptoms checks, masks on flights. Beyond which nothing can be done. If people remove the masks i think they should be shot on arrival or may be pay for the stay of others in quarantine. That should be enough for most.
If we cant take pride in being indian at this moment perhaps we never would
It is a great, epic undertaking, Arjun ji. I think people have not quite understand how incredible a thing like this is.

Yes, this should instill great pride in all Indians and everyone will do their utmost to keep everyone else safe. Maybe a silver lining is a greater sense of community that will bond all Indians everywhere!

With the lockdown being lifted a bit (and it needs to) and this mighty program to bring back so many, we have to expect some bump up in infections. But whatever the short-term numbers, the final outcome will be victory and this will be one of the greatest stories. India wrapping her arms around all of her sons and daughters in crisis no matter where they are -- something wealthier and mightier nations did not do!
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Only comparisons and transparent talk by the GoI would translate to people recognizing and appreciating. Else, there are always fake newspapers and YouTube channels to make people never realize it.

Compare this to US govt providing minimum effort and charging around $2.5k to head back to US. Refusing to add additional destinations, providing no assistance to elders, no regards for dietary requirements, etc.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

https://mobile.twitter.com/rohityadav04 ... 8203297792
A list of flights. Beware of misinformation though not sure how authentic this is.

Also MEA twitter website handle abroad for needy.
https://mobile.twitter.com/IndiaInAbroad
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

From Twitter acct of MAA, first batch of flights picking up Indians from DXB to Chennai
https://twitter.com/aaichnairport/statu ... 84034?s=19

https://twitter.com/aaichnairport/statu ... 35808?s=19
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

MoCA_GoI
@MoCA_GoI
GoI is conducting skill mapping of overseas returning citizens through SWADES Skill Card. Info will be shared with pvt Indian & Foreign companies to reach out directly for future employment opportunities. If this interests you, please fill your details at http://nsdcindia.org/swades
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Hardeep Singh Puri
@HardeepSPuri
Some people have raised concern about rates being charged by
@airindiain
for special Vande Bharat flights.

While rates being charged are not normal commercial rates, they are reasonable when compared to evacuation flights of other countries on same sectors.

Here are the facts.
https://mobile.twitter.com/HardeepSPuri ... 3126268931

https://mobile.twitter.com/HardeepSPuri ... 31/photo/1
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Some battles being fought today by the MoCA handle.
Looks like lot of middle eastern crowd don't seem to get it that many of these countries don't allow people in.

Though MoCA handle is incorrect on some accounts. For example, US is allowing flights in for US citizens and permanent residents. Some of those routes could have been enabled on limited basis.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoCA_GoI

https://twitter.com/HardeepSPuri/status ... 0582071298
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

I can't figure out why GoI still hasn't started international flights on limited basis. There are many small airports like AMD that can handle limited flights if Mumbai and Delhi are in red zone.

Many countries like US have always allowed their citizens and legal residents in and had all airports open but GoI still continues to peddle that countries aren't allowing incoming flights.

What's bothering GoI?
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

I think it will commence from July 2nd or 3rd. I have a colleague with confirmed tickets who is flying out of Bangalore on 4th. US from what i know never suspended air travel except from certain countries.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Confirmed tickets were also sold by many airlines for June when resuming of domestic flights was announced. I believe that GoI had announced domestic flight two weeks in advance. Still few more days to go for two weeks notice for July 2nd.

The decision so far have been puzzling at best. Major areas like Delhi and Mumbai won't recover for sometime. No reason for GoI to not utilize smaller airports and allow them to earn money on limited basis.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

In agreement. Since middle of May, MoCA and assigned Union minister has nothing useful to say. All they have done is run counters on passenger movements, get angry, and get defensive when forced to answer tough questions. Lot of these union ministers are turning out to be disappointments. Whether it's information bureau, education, or aviation.

Seema Shah
@SSeema13
Replying to
@HardeepSPuri

@MoCA_GoI
and 8 others
Instead of showing passengers handled and other date base...etc ,which is doesn't make any sense, show some useful information on international flights sir there are lot of peoples are stranded at various geographic ! this is high time to react on the international flight topics
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

MoCA and Union minister still haven't provided fact based rationale on no international flights.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

VBM phase 4 flights get sold out as soon as bookings open.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

And the circus continues.
The fare dilemma: United's flights from Delhi put spotlight on Air India's Vande Bharat ticket price
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 11281.html

The American carrier United Airlines' three repatriation flights from Delhi, spread over the next 10 days, sold out within hours, indicating a massive pent-up demand even for outbounds from India.

United will operate the flights between Delhi and Newark on July 10, 12 and 15.

The fares range from Rs 57,498, for the July 12 flight, to Rs 60,648 for those on July 10 and 15. By the time Moneycontrol could check the fares, the seats were sold out.

" The fares are low, despite the incoming flight being empty," pointed out a senior industry executive.

Moneycontrol asked United if its flights will be bringing passengers into India. The airline responded: "We are operating three repatriation flights from Delhi to Newark on the 10th, 12th and 15th, and operating them consistent with the current Indian restrictions on international flights departing India. Customers can purchase tickets through our website united.com or United app."

A cursory look at Air India's website showed the fares have indeed gone down, though they are still higher than United's.

Air India's New York-Delhi flight for July 9 was priced at $1,120, or Rs 83,493. From July 10 though, the flights were "sold out" well into September. Similarly, a Toronto-Delhi flight was priced at Rs 84,901. These flights, too, are showing as "sold out" from July 10 on.

United's flights from India come after the US Transport Department alleged that American airlines were being discriminated against and were not allowed to operated flights similar to Air India's. Even as Air India flew in and out of the US airports, under Vande Bharat Mission, American airlines weren't allowed to do the same, it said.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Take a look at this article on repatriation from the Middle East to Kerala. And note the jobs might disappear in the Middle East as the nature of the economy is changing.
We started this thread for this very reason.

COVID Impact- 8.7 laks repatriated from ME to Kerala
Synopsis
​​The data from the Non-Resident Keralites Affairs (NORKA) department as of Thursday also showed that 1,11,151 of the 13,27,330 Keralites who came back from other parts of the country also cited loss of jobs as the reason for their return. The second biggest reason cited by the returnees (2.08 lakh) was their job visas. The rest include senior citizens, or children, and family members of expats.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can someone post the full article for the data merits discussion?