MRCA (Many Rakshaks Choose Aircraft) Contest - Episode III

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Re: MRCA (Many Rakshaks Choose Aircraft) Contest - Episode III

Post by Manish_P »

:rotfl:

And what of the Paki F16s admiral saab... they will probably get pirated versions of the software update.. imagine the PAF abdul when he suddenly sees his screen change from angrezi to mandarin characters :mrgreen:
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
It has to be limited in scope this software update during flight :wink:

Updating the Threat library database for the EW system would be one of them. Friendly EW/ELINT sends in new threat signatures it picked up to other aircrafts in the theater.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Manish_P wrote::rotfl:

And what of the Paki F16s admiral saab... they will probably get pirated versions of the software update.. imagine the PAF abdul when he suddenly sees his screen change from angrezi to mandarin characters :mrgreen:
has Lockheed martin has started mandarin language support in light of future pakistani requirements? there used to be a joke many years back that independence day movie scene of virus update was fake because there was no adobe/windows update during that 1-2 min
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

India Seeks Local Warplanes as Overseas Purchase Plan Stalls
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... der-stalls
14 May 2020
India plans to switch to locally-made fighter jets, two years after asking global companies to submit proposals to supply 114 combat aircraft in the world’s biggest warplane contract.

“The Indian Air Force is switching that to the LCA,” Rawat said, when asked about the global tender for jets. “The IAF is saying, I would rather take the indigenous fighter, it is good.”
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Aaj jaakar mere kalejo ko thandak mili hai. Peace, at last.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

So good to hear that from CDS Rawat. Now MMRCA is very much cancelled, why not order addition 20-40 Mk1 and 40-60 Mk1A so that HAL can ramp up the production to 20+.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

YES!!!!!!! Mera Bharat Mahan!!!!!!

Arey bhai log, someone please show me how to increase the above text to as big as it can get on this forum software.

Mods, please edit my post if you know how.
Last edited by Indranil on 14 May 2020 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

I honestly did not think I will live to see this day (I am not exactly old).
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Great day for the country Bharadwaj.

Expect to see lots of Rhona-Dhona on BRF today from the Tier 1 industry experts.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Rakesh wrote:Great day for the country Bharadwaj.

Expect to see lots of Rhona-Dhona on BRF today from the Tier 1 industry experts.
given it's not final let's have a virtual celebration..

Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Indranil wrote:Aaj jaakar mere kalejo ko thandak mili hai. Peace, at last.
True - sounds good. Now can we have some orders please?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Just a couple of points now that MMRCA is dead....

1) Job Creation and Rolling Other Sectors of the Economy - via an American bird - has now gone out the window. Rather that will now happen with India's own fighter. A deep disappointment for LM and Boeing. This is why the LM executive left. He could not deliver.

2) Tejas is now going to serve as the bulk of the Indian Air Force combat fleet. From Mk1 to Mk1A to Mk2 to ORCA/TEDBF, the Air Force is going to love the plane. See the first highlighted quote below.

3) With the money saved from the MMRCA debacle, now you will see the Tejas program go leaps and bounds. There is no other OPTION but to invest in the Tejas program. A truly GREAT and FANTASTIC day for India and India's aviation industry.

India Seeks Local Warplanes as Overseas Purchase Plan Stalls
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... der-stalls
14 May 2020
“The Indian Air Force is switching that to the LCA,” Rawat said, when asked about the global tender for jets. “The IAF is saying, I would rather take the indigenous fighter, it is GOOD.”
The induction of jets will help India emerge as a key defense exporter due to its “relatively low price,” Rawat said in his office in New Delhi. Several countries may be interested in purchasing the aircraft once they see them in operation with the air force.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thank You IR for doing that. Greatly appreciated.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Double up the Mk1A order and I will guarantee exports.

When a customer sees that the IAF operates 200+ Tejas variants (40 Mk1s + 83 Mk1As + another 83 Mk1As), they see not just numbers. They see confidence. When a customer sees that HAL is churning out Tejas aircraft like pancakes, they see viability and sustainability. When a customer sees the IAF and HAL partnering together to develop and roll out an evolution roadmap for the Tejas, they see an aircraft that has a future.

To the customer, perception is the foundation. If the customer cannot see it, they will never believe it.
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

Rakesh wrote:Great day for the country Bharadwaj.

They must be in deep shock. Give them some time.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

What a tremendous development! Now my prediction is, mbda will even sell you meteor for integration into lca or mwf.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

someone also pointed out that with india it will not be just the product it will be a relationship of complete package with..training, repair, maintenance. Many nations like singapore, Vietnam UAE etc are already part of it due to russian eqpmt history..and in fact given our bilateral trade agreements there is a possibility of raw commodity swaps too, many of these nations also have credit lines by India. All these would complement and would be amenable to friendly nations.

Needless to say the production capacity needs to be cranked up big time, if not doubled for export to happen and IAF needs fulfilled. Quite sometime back i was compilign data of GDP, def spending as a % of GDP, mil size, sqdns etc across nations. to check what drove the 42 sqdn requirements. While i didnt make much progress, the thought clarity was that to have a 42 sqdn with current army size and defense spending the only way is to have tejas around 20 sqdns. Also, the 42 sqdn no. makes appearance in late 90s or early 2000s in parliamentary speeches. Dont think there was a two and half front threat. In case china joins, it will be best to have Majority of PAF being handled by Tejas to free up maximum numbers for PLAAF and PLAN mischiefs. Tejas will be extremely useful everywhere but for deep interdiction with heavy load from safety into Tibet we would need our Su 30s
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

The Tejas is a very good aircraft but it is too late. Remember, Dr. APJK said in 2000 we will have 200, it has been delayed due to the incompetence of MoF and MoD additionally, we should look at Russian aircraft which are far better and there are 100s of airframes which my uncle Putin will give for free. Moreover, they are very trustworthy and helped us during our previous conflicts.

=== pardon my sarcasm here ===
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

ashishvikas wrote:India Seeks Local Warplanes as Overseas Purchase Plan Stalls

India plans to switch to locally-made fighter jets, two years after asking global companies to submit proposals to supply 114 combat aircraft in the world’s biggest warplane contract.

“The Indian Air Force is switching that to the LCA,” Rawat said, when asked about the global tender for jets. “The IAF is saying, I would rather take the indigenous fighter, it is good.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ssion=true
Now increase the orders.

114 MRCA - 12 Su-30, 21 MiG-29, leaves space for 81 more LCAs. :)

Use the cost savings to build more local spares, add EW, Astra and inhouse upgrade to the Su-30s as well.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

+108 Karan Saar! India just saved herself US $20+ billion.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

It’s not only money $30 billion saved but also securing India from the whims and whining of OEM.

Really happy to hear the statement coming from horse’s mouth
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Rakesh wrote: Expect to see lots of Rhona-Dhona on BRF today.
Let me be the first one to start admiral Saar. What's the big deal about this? 83mk1A was done deal anyways. And mrca 2.0 was all but a circus that was going nowhere. Everybody knew this.

So what's new or newj here? Just a small official recognition of what was fait accompli?

Now if there was a promise to buy another 114 Tejas as an MRCA replacement, then I'd be celebrating.
Last edited by Cain Marko on 15 May 2020 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Cain Marko wrote:Let me be the first one to start admiral Saar. What's the big deal about this? 83mk1A was done deal anyways. And mrca 2.0 was all but a circus that was going nowhere. Everybody knew this.

So what's new or newj here? Just a small official recognition of what was fait accompli?

Now if there was a promise to buy another 114 Tejas as an MRCA replacement, then I'd be celebrating.
Cain-ji, I hope you realize the MMRCA deal has been cancelled. There are no F-teens coming or Gripen, MiG-35, Su-35, Typhoon or Rafale.

However the shortfall has to be made up. In the absence of 114 phoren birds, where else can the IAF look? The answer is Tejas.

I am celebrating onlee. Bring out your lungi and celebrate :lol:
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Indranil wrote:Aaj jaakar mere kalejo ko thandak mili hai. Peace, at last.
The writing was on the wall a while ago, once this COVID-19 crisis started to derail the economy. Just waiting to hear that the MRCA RFP is being scrapped.
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

The only fear is if Unkil becomes vindictive and says no for the engines ..
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Avinandan wrote:The only fear is if Unkil becomes vindictive and says no for the engines ..
That will wake up some of India's policymakers who tilt towards strategic alignment with Amreeka.

It will also cause repercussions (monetary - which is the only thing the Amreekis care about) in the Indo-US relationship.

It will be a big boost for the Kaveri program.
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

Rakesh wrote:I am celebrating onlee. Bring out your lungi and celebrate :lol:
Saar,
Q1: I estimate the Tejas weighs 6.5 tons. Are we getting sweets this time?

Q2: lungi with face mask wokay bass?

More seriously, the CDS has mooted this as a suggestion, and the IAF may still put up a fight using ASQR.

We will only know if it is announced by the Defence Minister (Sri KingsGod Lion) and order signed.

Then, and only then, is the time for Kingfisher Strong.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

dinesh_kimar wrote:
Rakesh wrote:I am celebrating onlee. Bring out your lungi and celebrate :lol:
Saar,
Q1: I estimate the Tejas weighs 6.5 tons. Are we getting sweets this time?

Q2: lungi with face mask wokay bass?
Sweets are being distributed as I type this.... :lol:
dinesh_kimar wrote:More seriously, the CDS has mooted this as a suggestion, and the IAF may still put up a fight using ASQR.

We will only know if it is announced by the Defence Minister (Sri KingsGod Lion) and order signed.

Then, and only then, is the time for Kingfisher Strong.
The game is over. There is no 114 phoren fighters coming. There is no money for this. The IAF will learn to FIGHT AND WIN with Tejas. If Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, VrC achieved victory in a MiG-21 Bison...imagine what he will do in a Tejas. There will be a host of other aircraft to support the Tejas (Su-30MKI, Rafale, MiG-29UPG, Mirage 2000I, etc) in a future conflict.

Enjoy your Kingfisher and I will join you too :)

And since the IAF is a professional air force, they will play their cards right and order another two squadrons more of the Rafale when the economic situation improves. Or perhaps it will be two squadrons of F-35 (if the geopolitical stars align for India and the US). And the economic situation will improve. So the IAF can put out all the ASQRs they want for 114 fighters. It is going to amount to little. Where is the money?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

And dinesh...one more thing. You know the RFP for 57 carrier borne fighters and a 65,000 ton, EMALS equipped and nuclear powered, aircraft carrier to influence events from Alaska in the west to the South China Sea in the east? That is also gone. No Rafale M or F-18E/F Super Hornet. Another Vikrant Class vessel will likely come, when the economic situation improves. And she will operate TEDBF.

Swadeshi First, Videshi Last - that is the new Mantra now at North Block. All thanks to the CDS. The General is a gift to India.

His thoughts need to be drilled down the ladder of military hierarchy.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Is there any video of the event where the CDS said this..???
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

rakesh ji is high on tejas fumes..may be my excitement has been neutered by the 13 stages of DPP. Speaking of kingfisher, Mallay lost his appeal and will be returning to india soon..who knows he can be forced to come back on vande bharat mission in the air india business class ....
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Never been more happy to say it, but....IB4TL?

IAF to buy 83 more Tejas fighters from HAL instead of foreign jets, CDS Rawat says-Sudhi Ranjan Sen
https://theprint.in/defence/iaf-to-buy- ... 21827/?amp
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

MK1A is not the replacement of MRCA, a combination of more Su 30 ,some more Rafale and most importantly MWF will be its replacement. But look how at every stage BIF try and undermine local production.
SidSoma
BRFite

Post by SidSoma »

Just wow. For once someone other than us is convinced.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Now, wait for paid articles in MSM on LCA being bad, being late, can't carry 20 tonnes of bombs, etc. I expect it's going to start in next 3-4 days.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Many a slip between the cup and the lip!!!
CDS can say what he wants....
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

This is getting comic :mrgreen:

83 LCA Mk1A now has become the winner of the “single engine” MRCA II/III saga ... a full circle! Good spin.

Looks like the GoI is setting a stage for 83 LCA signing and at the same time closing the MRCA III contest.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

This is nothing but cancellation of MRCA 3.0

The 83 Tejas is nothing but a different spin to the same Mk1A order.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

There was never going to be a MRCA 2. GoI kept delaying the AoN, in return IAF kept delaying the MK1A order. Now the MK1A order was about to be signed, if the virus did not interfere, an AON "may" have been issued.

However at the same time, CDS already told the press, that things should be brought in trance. Fundamentally diluting any large import.

The Chinese virus gave the perfect excuse. IAF cannot go back on MK1A order, as everything was sorted out and plans must have been to sign in the new fiscal year; i.e March.

IAF and HAL played a nice little saga with MK1A.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

Post by ArjunPandit »

srai wrote:This is getting comic :mrgreen:

83 LCA Mk1A now has become the winner of the “single engine” MRCA II/III saga ... a full circle! Good spin.

Looks like the GoI is setting a stage for 83 LCA signing and at the same time closing the MRCA III contest.
adding to it RKS Bhaduria is the IAF chief ..he's been associated since pretty much beginning