Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by Rahul M »

Rohit, any idea of the ORBAT for the IBGs ?
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

rohitvats wrote:^^^ Because there is something known as history, lineage, customs, nuances when it comes the Services. And especially, the army. Every army swears by its customs and traditions. And that holds good anywhere.

Not that I've any issues with converting this Regiment into a full fledged Armored Regiment, but my reasons are a bit different. And they're also from purist POV.

Here's a bit of history about it.

Remember the Teen Murti in Delhi and the famous Haifa charge in World War 1?

Well, two of the three Cavalry Regiments of State Forces grouped under 15th (Imperial Service) Cavalry Brigade, took part in this charge. The three Regiments were the Jodhpur Lancers, Mysore Lancers and Hyderabad Lancers. Jodhpur Lancers (main charge), Mysore Lancers (support to main charge) and Hyderabad Lancers (the unit had been detached and wasn't there)

Teen Murti remembers each of the three Cavalry Regiments.

Post 1947, the three Regiments were amalgamated into 61 Cavalry.

Some even rue the fact that each of these Cavalry Regiments should've had an individual armored regiment to carry forward their legacy and not be amalgamated into one regiment.

So, the history and nostalgia bit in the army, with all its quirkiness and nuances is a pretty strong thing. You can disagree with the POV but don't discard or disrespect the history and the sentiments associated with it.

On a different note - I know first hand that many within the army frown upon the lifestyle of 61 Cavalry.

Remember, these guys wine and dine with the most elite of our society, courtesy their exploits in the polo ground and equestrian events.

You've to be super rich, or Indian Army, to maintain a polo team with finest of horses and men.

So, they do have a pretty glamorous lifestyle. Which is NOT liked by many army officers.

Here's a personal anecdote -

A very close friend's younger brother, who was about to commission from OTA, Madras, had the option to join 61 Cavalry through some contacts. The family hailed from Rajasthan, old Rajput landed gentry and all that...so, family had good connections.

Friend's father was also serving and had commanded an Infantry Regiment with very good record.

When the father came to know that one of his relatives was trying to influence his son to join 61 Cavalry, he called up his son in the academy that told him point-blank that he won't come down to his passing-out-parade if he even thought of joining 61 Cavalry!

The guy ended-up in Infantry.

Having said that, if they convert 61 Cavalry into an armored regiment, and it seems to be only a matter of time, I hope they some-how retain the lineage of the old State Cavalry Regiments.

The reason I say this is because from what is publicly available information, three existing Independent Armored Squadrons (Recce Squadrons) will be put together under 61 Cavalry.

And each of these (I) Armored Squadrons are affiliated to existing Armored Regiments of the Indian Army. So, they have their own lineage.

Which basically means, its the dead-end for the lineage of existing squadrons which come from old State Cavalry Regiments.

Had existing squadrons converted to armored roles, then they would've carried forward their flags and colors and lineage but that is not so the case.

As the above gyaan shows, this simple exercise is not so simple!
Symbolism have its own value . The flags should be flying . Thanks RV
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

rohit, please take their "history, lineage, customs" with a pinch of salt.

1. History: Both the regiments of Hyderabad Lancers and the Jodhpur Lancers had mechanized to Humber and Daimler armored cars by 1944.

2. Lineage: The class composition of Hyderabad Lancers had been full Deccani Muslims, but the 61st Cavalry only recruits Rajputs, Marathas and Khaimkhani Muslims. After Indian Independence and Integration of Princely States, Deccani Muslims and Mysoreans joined Indian Army in fully mixed "South India Classes" armored regiments and squadrons (8th, 16th, 45th, 71st, etc), or in "All India, All Class" regiments.

I was shocked to hear that 61C have not had any operational role for 25 years!

The Presidential Bodyguard Cavalry at least tries to keep one small detachment in Siachen glacier, or embedded with 9 or 1 PARA (SF) for active operations. 61C could have made itself useful by attaching to 10 PARA (SF) or GUARDS/MECH (R&S) units in a Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) type role. If you can't make yourself useful where you are, then you will eventually end up where you belong -- i.e. IMA Dehradun museum.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^As I said, I've no objection to full mechanization of 61 Cavalry.

But as I said, at the same time, I respect the POV and sentiments of the people who want it to continue as a horse mounted regiment. A better option than 100% horse mounted regiment was to follow the example of Household Cavalry Regiments in the British Army. They've a ceremonial detachment while fulfilling 100% genuine armored role (formation reconnaissance regiment)
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
pushkar.bhat wrote:
I believe that there are more than one voice which is asking India to reassess its capabilities vis-a-vis China. Similar comments on the ORF YouTube Channel states that a recent report by Frank O'Donnell and Alexander Bollfrass suggests that the pessimistic Indian assessment of the balance of forces vis-a-vis China may be mistaken and a poor guide for Indian security policy.

See the links below:

China India Postures
India is building nuclear submarines and ICBMs. That’s a $14 billion mistake.
PLA Joint Exercises in Tibet: Implications for India

[youtube]G4FwuYplRL8[youtube]
So Arihants and Agni 5s are a mistake? India should be without ICBMs , nuclear weapons & Agni 5s as they're total waste of money. These assholes are cheeni bribed cockroaches.

These are the sort who will find agreement with kavita krishnan, D Raja et al
everybody has an interest in ensuring that India remains weak and unable to retaliate/enforce/defend itself just like it happened during the days of the barbaric invasions and later the britshits. So such paid for thinktankis are simply singing for their supper, dutifully parroting scenarios from a wishfully scripted ploy.

they all want our markets but strictly on their terms and India without a strong military is duplicating the very situation that brought in entities like the muslim hordes and the east India company and who then were encouraged to stay on, using their military might and financial guile, compelled by their greed at the sight of such untold wealth.

there are still plenty of robert clives' out there, champing at the bit and raring to have a go at India. xi and trump are just two prime examples of this breed.

only this time they are a tad better dressed and a shade slicker in their approach. Both trump & xi have shown us their teeth by their easy use of open threats in cases where we dared to place impediments in the path of their entitled approach and assumed privileged access to the Indian consumer.

for china, the agni series has completely blindsided them by directly targeting their mainland assets. India refusing the OBOR "offer" was a black swan event for them as indeed was the fact that Modi was elected, not just once but twice.

the real icing on the cake was when India successfully deployed the nuclear triad.
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

Gen VKS has tore Chor Coupta a new one.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Gen_VKSingh/ ... 9957406727
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

ParGha wrote: I was shocked to hear that 61C have not had any operational role for 25 years!
This is really incredible. What do the men do in this unit? Why would Army recruit people just to ride horses!

What do the men show as their achievement during the promotion?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

61 Cavalry isn’t just a ceremonial Army regiment, it played key role in Pakistan standoff too
The move has, however, drawn criticism from Army veterans.

A former Army officer, who didn’t want to be named, told ThePrint that purely from a book-keeping point of view, there will be some “minuscule” revenue savings.

“But to the Army, especially the traditional bunch, it is a shock to the system. If the horses are being retained, then what is the big deal of having keeping them as a part of the original 61st Cavalry itself,” he asked.

“It is hitting at military tradition, pomp and ceremony, which is integral to esprit de corps. An unstated issue is the prime estate the unit occupies in Jaipur,” he added.

Some said it is also difficult to justify the fact that 61st Cavalry will no longer retain its heritage building and the regiment will be shifted out.

Colonel Gupta told ThePrint the move will likely affect the regiment’s sports capabilities.

“There are hardly any new officers, so participation will reduce as polo, as a sport, requires a lot of effort, time, manpower and dedication. The regiment may just be reduced to a symbolic unit with no wherewithal to continue being the custodian of the equestrian sports in the country,” he said.

Army chief General M.M. Naravane is the colonel of the regiment.
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

I totally understand the operational situation of the army in turning the regiment into a mechanized one, though the value of tradition should be upheld in some way shape or form. As Rohit, pointed out, tradition has a special place in the army.

Also, on a personal note, as someone who's grandfather headed the RVC at one point of time. It'll be a special feeling to know that such a valuable part of our army tradition lives on.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

folks i also respect the army sentiment and understand the importance of such things for men who put their lives on line for the country...

but the country is going through tough economic times..every individual will face financial hardships in future with ..people will lose or have lost jobs..those people too have their sentiments.

I hope the cost savings go at other places in the army itself
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

nam wrote:
ParGha wrote: I was shocked to hear that 61C have not had any operational role for 25 years!
This is really incredible. What do the men do in this unit? Why would Army recruit people just to ride horses!

What do the men show as their achievement during the promotion?
why have so many super expensive acres of land been allotted in memory of the neverwho family for their memorials.

don't see anyone objecting to that.

just a plain granite tombstone would have done them just as well. they are not going to be remembered the better because they have such huge memorials.

is that also not some form of tradition. didn't the mughals have huge mausoleums built to honor their kings. So, where exactly have these mausoleums to our unforgettable neverwho family members originated from and that too in a democracy

aren't the saudi kings buried in unmarked graves

The IA has many socially relevant and important functions to perform apart from rescuing kids fallen down abandoned tubewells or saving some babuz butt when law and order have been totally buggered up by their meager experience or plain bad judgment.

A purely corporate culture will kill the ethos of any army and very soon, like the commies and mandalites never tire of demanding, they may soon be subject to reservations and caste quotas depending on who first climbs up the greasy political pole.

do you really expect anyone, say from infosys or tcs to stand a post at the front. They have no traditions or pride in the origins of their corporates to inspire them. Most jump jobs for a few bucks more.

Everyone contributes in their own way and these Army guys have chosen the most difficult way of all to do their bit. Naam, Namak, and Nishan are not mere words to them but these concepts are deeply internalized to form the very core and lifeblood of their existence and it is this imbibed pride that drives them.

If there is no sense of tradition and the active sustenance of honor and pride in the valor and deeds of their predecessors and ancestors as well as in the hallowed origins of their regiments that such traditions inspire, then you will have no one to willing to fight or even follow tough orders.

It is not the pay and little perks that drive such people to fight even unto the peril of their lives but it is the pride in the nishan that is the driving force.

Its also not something that everyone would understand.

The 61C has its role to perform, some clowns in the IA and babuz may not agree.

So be it.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Super post Chetak sir
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The point is not about tradition. It is about recruiting qualified and trained men, but not giving them an operational role. I can understand ops units being rotated in to a ceremonial roles for a certain duration.

But to have men recruited in to a permanent ceremonial unit, is waste of their talent. You can take men from TA for such units.

The President's adjutant is publicly seen holding awards during the Republic day, but he a fully qualified ParaSF/Garud/Marcos officer. No one trains a ParaSF just for holding awards.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

nam wrote:The point is not about tradition. It is about recruiting qualified and trained men, but not giving them an operational role. I can understand ops units being rotated in to a ceremonial roles for a certain duration.

But to have men recruited in to a permanent ceremonial unit, is waste of their talent. You can take men from TA for such units.

The President's adjutant is publicly seen holding awards during the Republic day, but he a fully qualified ParaSF/Garud/Marcos officer. No one trains a ParaSF just for holding awards.
PBG is prestigious permanent regiment with very limited strength (<250). Exactly due to the argument for being ceremonial, they are now trained not just in cavalry (meant for display) but also in para jumping as well as artillery. They are supposed to be used under dire circumstances. Officers, including ADCs and the Military Secretary to the President, etc., on the other hand are deputed for certain time on rotation. PBG does not hold awards. ADCs do.

Ceremonial jobs require a lot of training. It even takes a while for each soldier to familiarize with their allotted horse and to gain its trust. Given the number of occasions they are used, not just in Republic Day parade, to me it's perfectly okay to continue with the current system.

Rashtrapati Bhavan does have rotating units. It is given as an honour for battle performance and is considered a peace posting.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

rohitvats wrote:^^^ Because there is something known as history, lineage, customs, nuances when it comes the Services. And especially, the army. Every army swears by its customs and traditions. And that holds good anywhere.

<snip>
Thank you Rohit for the detailed explanation and history of the Regiment. I learned quite a few new things.
The reason I say this is because from what is publicly available information, three existing Independent Armored Squadrons (Recce Squadrons) will be put together under 61 Cavalry.

And each of these (I) Armored Squadrons are affiliated to existing Armored Regiments of the Indian Army. So, they have their own lineage.

Which basically means, its the dead-end for the lineage of existing squadrons which come from old State Cavalry Regiments.

Had existing squadrons converted to armored roles, then they would've carried forward their flags and colors and lineage but that is not so the case.
Well personally I would have loved it if the mechanization of the regiment happened with new acquisition of Arjun tanks, basically a completely new Armored Regiment being raised with new equipment, instead of existing units donating their forces. But that is a bit too much to hope for.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

rohitvats wrote:^^^As I said, I've no objection to full mechanization of 61 Cavalry.

But as I said, at the same time, I respect the POV and sentiments of the people who want it to continue as a horse mounted regiment. A better option than 100% horse mounted regiment was to follow the example of Household Cavalry Regiments in the British Army. They've a ceremonial detachment while fulfilling 100% genuine armored role (formation reconnaissance regiment)
Rohitvats,

Can the three indep Recce sq not be spun up into a new raising and 61 Cav seeded with offers and men from existing arms regard to bring to full strength?
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

The point of the conversion was to cut costs while keeping the same operational capability - not buy more equipment, nor raise more regiments.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Since independence the services have also shouldered the burden of nurturing and training sporting talent in the country. Hundreds of service men and women have represented the country in various sports over the years.
The civilian sports authorities in India were underfunded, corrupt and staffed by political cronies. The training infrastructure was woeful and the lack of quality training staff etc. just made the matters worse.

However, now the things have changed. The state and central level sporting bodies can shoulder the responsibility. The corruption is still rife, but the services need not put in a lot of resources into nurturing sporting talent for the country. In the current scenario, when the services are trying to rationalize their manpower expenses, such activities can be let go.

However, as many have noted above, tradition and history have a very strong relevance in the services. Also, sports like Polo and equestrian sports like show jumping etc. are very expensive and very people in country like India can pursue the same. Maybe the army can retain the horses and continue to maintain a polo team and a team for equestrian sports. However, the respective Sports associations, should shoulder majority of the responsibility.

The mechanization of the 61st Cavalry is a good move nonetheless IMHO.
Last edited by mody on 20 May 2020 13:55, edited 2 times in total.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ParGha wrote:The point of the conversion was to cut costs while keeping the same operational capability - not buy more equipment, nor raise more regiments.
Number plate 61 Cav. Reraise it in favourable times..
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

I have been seeing all this Rona-Dhona about the grand tradition of the 61st Cal being lost due to the mechanization of the Unit. I don't understand how and why the tradition will be lost. The new unit will continue to carry forward the traditions of the Old Cav units as well as the three Ind Recce Squads that join it. Someone needs to remind the critiques that phasing out of Horses has happened for most Cav units towards the mid of the last century. The fact that we retained this ceremonial unit for a good 70 years is a miracle.

As Mody mentioned in the post above Polo as a sport should be supported by its Sports Association instead of leaning on the army for subsidies. The precious resources of the forces are better utilized elsewhere.

As they say "The 61st Cav is Dead. Long Live the 61st Cav". May this unit rise again in a new avatar and become the harbinger of a revolution in Armoured Doctrine.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

ks_sachin wrote: Can the three indep Recce sq not be spun up into a new raising and 61 Cav seeded with offers and men from existing arms regard to bring to full strength?
Wasn't aware that the 61Cav was being mechanized by amalgamating existing indep squadrons.. Why not split the HQ Sqn of 61 Cav and have one half take over as the HQ of the new amalgamated squadrons? Or have one of the 3 squadrons become a HQ squadron of a new armoured regiment?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

333 officers of IMA graduating amid Covid-19

SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YWwgRsCDoOE/ ... BVohra.jpg
Naman to the 'Brave Soldier'
Bhagwan unke Atma ko Shanti De
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

KCR appoints Col Santosh’s wife as govt officer, hands over Rs 5 crore, plot to kin

The minister also announced installation of Colonel Santosh Babu’s bronze statue in the district court crossroads in Suryapet town. The road is likely to be named as Colonel Santosh Marg.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... lZWQM.html

Great step by KCR.

Can someone who has access, kindly post this news on Chinese social media.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

amar_p wrote:KCR appoints Col Santosh’s wife as govt officer, hands over Rs 5 crore, plot to kin
Hopefully other state gov'ts do similar for 16Bihar and rename many inappropriately named places within the state. There are many who haven't done anything for India but still have places named after them.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Colonel Vishal Dubey of 10 Para.
https://twitter.com/Prashant8730585/sta ... 05568?s=20

Since when did this camouflage get in to circulation? And can learned folks tell about the various badges?

chetonzz
BRFite

Post by chetonzz »

sometimes i feel, mixed camouflage patterns are itself a form camouflage OR IA doesn't care how it looks like as long as the equipment is available and useful-thanks to our world conquering MIC

wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... wer-102716

IAF airlifts dozens of tanks to Ladakh to beef up firepower - First time since 1962 that tanks and mechanised elements urgently airlifted to Ladakh
extracts
amidst carrying out combat air patrols over Ladakh and maintaining operational readiness platforms at various airbases to scramble fighters, the IAF is using its American C-17s and Russian IL-76s freighters for carrying out multiple sorties out of Chandigarh and other places over the past weeks for the purpose.

Some elements of armoured formations based in the Western Sector, which include the newer T-90s, have been earmarked for the Ladakh frontier.

Prior to the current face-off with China, which witnessed extremely violent moments, India had three armoured regiments stationed in Ladakh, amounting to the equivalent of an armoured brigade.

The manner of concentration and employment of an armoured formation in high-altitude areas is a lot different than that in the plains, the tradition domain of mechanised forces
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

The Supreme Hero Of Galwan - The Eastern Link
Honestly , it is very difficult for an emotional Bengali like me , also a military school product, to hold back tears as I write the amazing story of ‘chotaphai Gurtej’.As the fierce 3rd ‘Ghataks’ and the Sikh gunners of Medium Arty regiment rushed into the fight with very little time to plan and prepare on that Monday evening in the picturesque but blooded Galwan Valley , they were only carrying their customary kirpan and an assortments of sticks, rods and sharp knives.

Fellow fighters recall Gurtej being attacked by four Chinese soldiers. The strong Sikh, shouting his ‘Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal’ war cries in a thunderous roar, swung round two of them and as two others tried to pin him down, he dragged all four of them towards the cliff.

“All four Chinese were flung to death but Gurtej lost his balance and also slipped , but was stuck in a boulder , hence avoiding a free fall. Badly injured in the neck and head, Gurtej rewrapped his turban and in an inhuman effort pulled himself back into the fight,” said a military source quoting a fellow fighter. Gurtej slashed some Chinese with his kirpan before he could snatch a sharp weapon from a Chinese soldier. "Not only that one but seven other Chinese soldiers perished at the hands of Gurtej before one stabbed him from behind. Even as he went down , he slashed his killer with his kirpan," said the military source.
This story brings a question to mind, apart from Gurkhas and Sikhs who else wields melee weapons?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

With all due respects Vimal ji, I would not call either the Kirpan or the Kukri a melee weapon.

Let us leave the melee weapon to the annals of European history., where they belong.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

chetonzz wrote:sometimes i feel, mixed camouflage patterns are itself a form camouflage OR IA doesn't care how it looks like as long as the equipment is available and useful-thanks to our world conquering MIC

I think the huge variety of camo patterns worn by IA troops comes from the very varied terrains they operate in. When troops are moved around and reassigned, they don't always change to new uniforms with camo patterns designed for that area. I don't think it really matters much.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

vimal wrote:This story brings a question to mind, apart from Gurkhas and Sikhs who else wields melee weapons?
Anyone can wield a melee (close-contact) weapon - dedicated, or improvised. Every soldier with an assault-rifle is issued a bayonet, and drilled in its use. Many also acquire combat knives.

Then there are plenty of tools in unit's inventory which can be improvised, like axes, picks, crowbars, tire-irons, hammers, showels, etc. And any unit can pick up extra khukris or dahs (machetes) or billhooks based on terrain and foliage (especially in jungles of NE).

Only the Gorkha Rifles, Garhwal Rifles and Assam Regiment are authorized khukri for their ceremonial uniforms. Assam Regiment switched to khukris from dahs in 1990s. Sikhs carry kirpan for personal religious beliefs, but it is not required for their Army uniforms.
ragupta
BRFite

Post by ragupta »

How about arming the IA foot soldiers with ATV mounted Machine Gun and Rocket launchers, this will reduce there workload and will be useful in Mountaineous terrain. Similarly with speedboat and Jetski based platforms - cheaper to acquire, but training may be required.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

amar_p wrote:
chetonzz wrote:sometimes i feel, mixed camouflage patterns are itself a form camouflage OR IA doesn't care how it looks like as long as the equipment is available and useful-thanks to our world conquering MIC

I think the huge variety of camo patterns worn by IA troops comes from the very varied terrains they operate in. When troops are moved around and reassigned, they don't always change to new uniforms with camo patterns designed for that area. I don't think it really matters much.
We don't have diff camo patterns.

The fact is the service issue clothing is not very good so offers and men go outside for basics and hence the diff in patterns
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ragupta wrote:How about arming the IA foot soldiers with ATV mounted Machine Gun and Rocket launchers, this will reduce there workload and will be useful in Mountaineous terrain. Similarly with speedboat and Jetski based platforms - cheaper to acquire, but training may be required.
What ATV? Where do you think we would use these in NE or Ladakh?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ParGha wrote:
vimal wrote:This story brings a question to mind, apart from Gurkhas and Sikhs who else wields melee weapons?
Anyone can wield a melee (close-contact) weapon - dedicated, or improvised. Every soldier with an assault-rifle is issued a bayonet, and drilled in its use. Many also acquire combat knives.

Then there are plenty of tools in unit's inventory which can be improvised, like axes, picks, crowbars, tire-irons, hammers, showels, etc. And any unit can pick up extra khukris or dahs (machetes) or billhooks based on terrain and foliage (especially in jungles of NE).

Only the Gorkha Rifles, Garhwal Rifles and Assam Regiment are authorized khukri for their ceremonial uniforms. Assam Regiment switched to khukris from dahs in 1990s. Sikhs carry kirpan for personal religious beliefs, but it is not required for their Army uniforms.
ParGha you should post more often..
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

wig wrote:https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... wer-102716

IAF airlifts dozens of tanks to Ladakh to beef up firepower - First time since 1962 that tanks and mechanised elements urgently airlifted to Ladakh
extracts
amidst carrying out combat air patrols over Ladakh and maintaining operational readiness platforms at various airbases to scramble fighters, the IAF is using its American C-17s and Russian IL-76s freighters for carrying out multiple sorties out of Chandigarh and other places over the past weeks for the purpose.

Some elements of armoured formations based in the Western Sector, which include the newer T-90s, have been earmarked for the Ladakh frontier.

Prior to the current face-off with China, which witnessed extremely violent moments, India had three armoured regiments stationed in Ladakh, amounting to the equivalent of an armoured brigade.

The manner of concentration and employment of an armoured formation in high-altitude areas is a lot different than that in the plains, the tradition domain of mechanised forces
Armr and Mechanised forces in Ladakh have been there since at least 1987.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

ParGha wrote: Only the Gorkha Rifles, Garhwal Rifles and Assam Regiment are authorized khukri for their ceremonial uniforms. Assam Regiment switched to khukris from dahs in 1990s. Sikhs carry kirpan for personal religious beliefs, but it is not required for their Army uniforms.
I read in some obscure article that Naga Regiment carries the dah too. Although I do wonder how easy it is, I believe the dah is much longer than the khukri or the standard issue bayonet. Then again, I haven't seen any pics or references to Naga Regiment's dah anywhere else, so it might be DDMitis.
stephen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by stephen »

I read in some obscure article that Naga Regiment carries the dah too. Although I do wonder how easy it is, I believe the dah is much longer than the khukri or the standard issue bayonet. Then again, I haven't seen any pics or references to Naga Regiment's dah anywhere else, so it might be DDMitis.[/quote]
I believe they have transitioned to using the khukri, the traditional dah would indeed be unwieldy and would not be very good for chopping a moving object, the khukri is perfect for chopping with a large enough sweet spot on the curved blade to cause serious injury. Its hard to chop bones with a dah.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

ks_sachin wrote:
amar_p wrote:
We don't have diff camo patterns.

The fact is the service issue clothing is not very good so offers and men go outside for basics and hence the diff in patterns
Ks_sachin,

I could be wrong here but I think they are from two different services. One is IA and the other is CAPF.