Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

Vips
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 23 February 2019

Post by Vips »

HAL awaiting approval for Mk-1A manufacture: CMD.

Hindustan Aeronautical Ltd (HAL) is awaiting approval from the Cabinet for manufacture of LCA Mk-1A, the improvised version of Mk-1 to be supplied to Indian Air Force (IAF), a top official said on Wednesday.

The Cabinet's approval should have been received earlier, but was delayed due to the COVID-19 situation and the company is expecting it during the third quarter of the financial year, HAL Chairman and Managing Director, R Madhavan told reporters at Sulur near here, on the sidelines of handing over Tejas Mk-1 FOC to the IAF.

HAL has an order of 83 such fighter aircraft and once it received the approval it would start supplying by 2023, in 36 months, he said. Similarly, another version Mk-2 is under design stage, which will be more advanced than the previous variants, he added.

Stating that the FOC variant will reduce the maintenance man hours and turnaround time resulting in enhanced support to IAF missions, Madhavan said 16 more such FOC fighters will be delivered soon, by increasing the manufacturing capacity from eight to 16.

When asked about setting up an assembling unit in Coimbatore, which has a defence manufacturing corridor, Madhavan said of the more than 2,000 vendors, the city has a major share and there was no plan to set up a unit so far.

To another question on exports, the official said that HAL was very much interested in supplying to other countries.

Air officer Commander in Chief Southern Air Command, Amit Tiwari, who was present, said that IAF had enough war planes and there was no no shortage as such.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

New Tejas Squadron.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Vips wrote:HAL awaiting approval for Mk-1A manufacture: CMD.

Hindustan Aeronautical Ltd (HAL) is awaiting approval from the Cabinet for manufacture of LCA Mk-1A, the improvised version of Mk-1 to be supplied to Indian Air Force (IAF), a top official said on Wednesday.

The Cabinet's approval should have been received earlier, but was delayed due to the COVID-19 situation and the company is expecting it during the third quarter of the financial year, HAL Chairman and Managing Director, R Madhavan told reporters at Sulur near here, on the sidelines of handing over Tejas Mk-1 FOC to the IAF.

HAL has an order of 83 such fighter aircraft and once it received the approval it would start supplying by 2023, in 36 months, he said. Similarly, another version Mk-2 is under design stage, which will be more advanced than the previous variants, he added.

Stating that the FOC variant will reduce the maintenance man hours and turnaround time resulting in enhanced support to IAF missions, Madhavan said 16 more such FOC fighters will be delivered soon, by increasing the manufacturing capacity from eight to 16.

When asked about setting up an assembling unit in Coimbatore, which has a defence manufacturing corridor, Madhavan said of the more than 2,000 vendors, the city has a major share and there was no plan to set up a unit so far.

To another question on exports, the official said that HAL was very much interested in supplying to other countries.

Air officer Commander in Chief Southern Air Command, Amit Tiwari, who was present, said that IAF had enough war planes and there was no no shortage as such.
This should have been part of the $200 billion FinMin NS stimulus package along with another 83 Mk1A. You wonder what is going on in the minds of the GoI.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

An historic day,but depressingly not a single trainer delivered so far and the MK1A will arrive,says the TOI quoting defence sources, in " 36 months" time! So even if the deal for the 83 1As are signed off this year,at the AL rate of production we will have only around 6 years this decade after the 1A " arrives", even allowing for an accelerated rate of production, it's only by the decade that we will see the 120+ MK-1s and 1As delivered!
And let's be frank.The Tejas is not an earth- shattering bird in comparison to other birds already flying like the Gripen,etc. We needed it to be built quickly and cheaply so that by around 2025,about 200 would've been in service allowing us to wave goodbye to the last MIG-21. The interim solution of acquiring 120+ MMRCAs is ending up like the Pink Panther series of films. PP,Return of the PP, Revenge of the PP, PP strikes again and so on and so fourth,pardon the pun!

When pvt. entities are already manufacturing major components for Boeing and Lockheed, why the pvt. sector cannot be entrusted with a Tejas line defeats one. It goes against the grain of the mantra of " build in India".Astonishingly,all that the pvt. sector gets is admonishings and urgings from various govt. entities,including those in uniform,to deliver top-of-the-line desi products to replace firang ones,but with no aid or orders! From the ICVs to aircraft and helos, orders are zilch.The only major desi pvt. sector involvement along with orders is in the arty., with parts of Pinaka,etc. also being supplied.Rocketry and missiles excepted,there is much involvement,but in conventional weapon systems like AVs,aircraft,helos, drones, arty.,small arms,ammo, some categories of warships, etc., at least 1/3rd of complete systems must come from the pvt. sector.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Not today Philip sir.
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

Philip wrote:An historic day,but depressingly not a single trainer delivered so far.....
Sir LCA simulator is one of the best in its class , how you think IAF operationalize squadron so quickly .
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Sridhar K wrote:Will the first 4 ac of 18 squadron a mix of 3 IOC plus one FOC?
All IOC single seat fighters have been delivered to No. 45 Flying Daggers squadron.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Aditya_V wrote:
Sridhar K wrote:Will the first 4 ac of 18 squadron a mix of 3 IOC plus one FOC?
All IOC single seat fighters have been delivered to No. 45 Flying Daggers squadron.
Thanks. So the other aircrafts in the photos belongs to #45 sq and #18 Sq had only one ac for now?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Indranil wrote:Not today Philip sir.
Indeed! Not today.

Time to celebrate the accomplishments after so many years we all have followed right here on BR! ... and the many years before that scrounging for titbits of info. A generation of us can now “retire” here in peace. Mission accomplished :twisted:
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

The recent information abt Mig 27 and Mig 21 squadrons being number plated by IAF, and not ordering equivalent Tejas variants for same squadrons is perplexing.

IAF have themselves tested Tejas in CAS/GA role in Iron Fist, and also multiple combat scenarios where Mig 21 is used. They themselves admit it is better than Mig 21 and Mig 27.

But orders aren't forthcoming as an equivalent replacement within same squadron probably the only case like this in the world.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/12 ... 76256?s=19

#TejasTailpiece 1
There is no change in internal aircraft numbering of #Tejas FOC from #HAL’s end which will continue with SP-21, 22 etc. #IAF allocates different tail numbers & these numbering/patterns are often NOT discussed on social media owing to the sensitives. #AvGeeks

#TejasTailpiece 2
#IAF often requests media NOT to quote tail numbers or show them while publishing pix because less specifics of an operational asset/weapon always better. "Small details will fit the jigsaw for the adversary somewhere," says a top source.

#TejasTailpiece 3
Since 2 squadrons of #Tejas are now formed and many more will get inducted in future, top sources say that sensitive matters linked to any of its roles CANNOT float around. It seems some directions already been given out to stake-holders.

#TejasTailpiece 4
The advanced version of #LCA which was known as Medium Weight Fighter (MWF) will now be #TejasMKII or #LCAMKII as called earlier. The name #MWF has been dropped. Eventually, this programme will get an appropriate name at the right time.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Philip wrote:If simulators are all that's needed for the supersonic LCA by the IAF ,why then do we need an HTT-40, Sitara IJT, Hawk AJT? Scrap the requirement for all two-seat trainers!

I'm also commissioning LCA Sqd. No.3, at home with my paper planes,production far faster than HAL! Name of the Sqd.? The " Paper Tigers"! :rotfl:
You were asked nicely by IR not to do this. Enjoy a ban till 01 June 2020.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Just before the link is missed, I am quoting Twitter
Anantha Krishnan M Flag of India @writetake
1/2

An #IAF friend looped in a 21-sec clip in which CAS says:
"As time goes on, #Tejas 45 & 18 Squadrons will become the core of our growth in terms of combat capability for the future. That's why we have posted the best people in these two squadrons."
Further, from New Indian Express
“Every new pilot who joins the squadron first goes through a grueling ground training session for several weeks. He then flies on the Tejas simulator followed by sorties on the trainer or two-seater version (PV5 & PV 6) and later they get to fly the Tejas solo. After its developmental flight tests by the National Flight Test Center, the Flying Daggers have started operational training and flying on this aircraft. Our flying and maintenance related inputs as users, are being collated for further design improvements on this aircraft,” says Ranga, who has so far flown over 300 sorties, clocking 200-plus hours.
PS: No, it's not encouraging anyone. Just preparing for end of Lockdown on June 1st!

Congratulations and best wishes for No 18 Sq!
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

One of the gurus in some other places asked me if all IOC level LCAs are being converted to FOC level. I said yes. Am I right? Sorry for a mango man question.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Yagnasri wrote:One of the gurus in some other places asked me if all IOC level LCAs are being converted to FOC level. I said yes. Am I right? Sorry for a mango man question.
You are correct. You can also tell them that all will eventually be converted to Mk1A standard. In fact LSP8 is being converted to Mk1A and a few more SPs to follow for testing purposes.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Yagnasri wrote:One of the gurus in some other places asked me if all IOC level LCAs are being converted to FOC level. I said yes. Am I right? Sorry for a mango man question.
There are several 'hardware' differences, such as gun and internal layout for easier maintenance, including interchangeability of components. However, I think many software upgrades will be backported at regular intervals. It might take a while for complete upgradation I guess. Gurus may correct me if I am mistaken.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Guns will be integrated on all. Same with IFR. Access panels, I am not sure. But please read my post just above yours. if LSP8 can be converted to Mk1A, then why not the SPs?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

IR sir unlike other old bombasts who made unobtainium mithai promises here I promise that I will send you one blue label when the SP to MK1A conversion proposal is sent by AHQ to the MoD/MoF for endless consideration
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Well, send it over then because that proposal has already been sent. You will be happy to know that AHQ looks at it very favourably.

Okay, I will save you the trouble. I am a teetotaler. But, my friends have described me as "eternally high" in the past. Some kadak chai and samosa generally does the trick! We should get together sometime if you drop the 'sir'.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

basant wrote:...
Further, from New Indian Express
“Every new pilot who joins the squadron first goes through a grueling ground training session for several weeks. He then flies on the Tejas simulator followed by sorties on the trainer or two-seater version (PV5 & PV 6) and later they get to fly the Tejas solo. After its developmental flight tests by the National Flight Test Center, the Flying Daggers have started operational training and flying on this aircraft. Our flying and maintenance related inputs as users, are being collated for further design improvements on this aircraft,” says Ranga, who has so far flown over 300 sorties, clocking 200-plus hours.
Thanks for posting, good to know IAF is putting the prototypes to use.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Indranil wrote:
You are correct. You can also tell them that all will eventually be converted to Mk1A standard. In fact LSP8 is being converted to Mk1A and a few more SPs to follow for testing purposes.
Ah great, so we finally know which LSP is going to become the first Mk1A prototype!

But SPs to be converted to Mk1A too? So they'll be pulled out of operations for testing purpose and then eventually all the IOC and FOC jets will get converted to Mk1A standard?
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Indranil wrote:Guns will be integrated on all. Same with IFR. Access panels, I am not sure. But please read my post just above yours. if LSP8 can be converted to Mk1A, then why not the SPs?
Sorry IR, we almost posted at the same time. Had I seen your post, wouldn't have replied. :)
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Rakesh wrote:Turbulence: How we almost lost Tejas
https://www.asianage.com/ideas/turbulen ... -tejas-187
24 May 2016

By B. R. SRIKANTH

<snip...>

“At one meeting in 1991, chaired by then Defence Minister Sharad Pawar, MP Suresh Kalmadi, said we should be sent behind bars because he had found large-scale misappropriation of funds. But Ratan Tata, who was invited to the meeting along with other industrialists had a contrary opinion. Tata told the minister that we had chosen the best technology and if for some reason the government wished to scrap the project, the Tata Group would take over and make the aircraft themselves. Pawar then decided to support us as many others had agreed with Tata,” he says.

<snip...>

And to think we almost lost the plane to mountains of paperwork and Suresh Kalmadi’s accounting.
Karma did catch up with Suresh "Commonwealth" Kalmadi.

And a big thank you to Sri. Ratan Tata.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Beautiful image of SP-17 (SP-21 earlier) with Air Cmdre Muthanna. View image in full size to see the superb build quality of the FOC Tejas Mk1.

Picture credit: Vayu Aerospace Review

Series production of the FOC Standard Tejas LCA Mk.1 has been continuing at the Bangalore Complex of HAL, the first such aircraft flown by HAL Chief Test Pilot (fixed wing) Air Commodore KA Muthana on 17 March 2020, with HAL-assigned tail number LA 5021
Twitter link
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

Indranil wrote: You are correct. You can also tell them that all will eventually be converted to Mk1A standard. In fact LSP8 is being converted to Mk1A and a few more SPs to follow for testing purposes.
Thanks IR - new piece of information. Any timelines on when it is expected to be completed and test flown ?
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

This series of tweets explains why HVT sir has pressed the mute button. He definitely has reduced his twitter exchanges...
ashishvikas wrote:#TejasTailpiece 1
There is no change in internal aircraft numbering of #Tejas FOC from #HAL’s end which will continue with SP-21, 22 etc. #IAF allocates different tail numbers & these numbering/patterns are often NOT discussed on social media owing to the sensitives. #AvGeeks

#TejasTailpiece 2
#IAF often requests media NOT to quote tail numbers or show them while publishing pix because less specifics of an operational asset/weapon always better. "Small details will fit the jigsaw for the adversary somewhere," says a top source.

#TejasTailpiece 3
Since 2 squadrons of #Tejas are now formed and many more will get inducted in future, top sources say that sensitive matters linked to any of its roles CANNOT float around. It seems some directions already been given out to stake-holders.

#TejasTailpiece 4
The advanced version of #LCA which was known as Medium Weight Fighter (MWF) will now be #TejasMKII or #LCAMKII as called earlier. The name #MWF has been dropped. Eventually, this programme will get an appropriate name at the right time.

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/12 ... 76256?s=19
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Fellas, enough with all this discussion about these serving personnel please?
Mods, do we need all this information to stay on the board?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Agreed. All relevant posts deleted.
SidSoma
BRFite

Post by SidSoma »

https://youtu.be/v8kwAjD7TLs?t=285

CDS in his interview with BharatShakti cites that the order for 83 Tejas MK1A has been placed. Does that not mean signed ? 4:55 onwards. Is it time to deploy Lungi ?
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Here's a nice pic from @NewIndianXpress of CAS ACM RKS Bhadauria at #AFSSulur during #FlyingBullets event. And, those who pinged asking if all IOC versions can be converted to FOC, answer I gathered is YES. Barring the AAR, IOC block of 16 #Tejas can be upgraded. #Avgeeks

Scientists say that AAR integration involves huge hardware changes and there are several tech challenges as well. But the software can be upgraded on par with FOC standards including the pack of weapons for #Tejas. #Avgeeks

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/12 ... 68899?s=19
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

LCA Tejas configuration - Max range 2000Km

https://twitter.com/Maverick_bharat/sta ... 91200?s=20

basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

ashishvikas wrote:Here's a nice pic from @NewIndianXpress of CAS ACM RKS Bhadauria at #AFSSulur during #FlyingBullets event. And, those who pinged asking if all IOC versions can be converted to FOC, answer I gathered is YES. Barring the AAR, IOC block of 16 #Tejas can be upgraded. #Avgeeks
Lack of AAR is surprising as it was believed that the internal plumbing was done for later LSPs and all subsequent SPs. :(
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

It's now or never: IAF Chief’s Sulur speech is a wake-up call to all Tejas stakeholders
“You are amongst the best in the IAF so that you will have to
operationalise the squadron at the shortest span of time. Tejas today
what you are getting is the best in its class in the world. Take my word
for it.
It is for you now to study it, gain knowledge, understand its
capabilities, maintenance aspects and know everything about the
aircraft. With your brains, with your abilities to synergise and with
networking you must ensure that Tejas continues to grow and increases
its combat capabilities,” he told the air warriors present there.
He said IAF is keen to look two to three decades ahead with many
home-grown systems set to join its fleet. He said the orders for 83 Tejas
MK1As will be in soon while IAF’s uninching support for LCA MkII
and Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) would continue.
“Our vision is clear. For future fighters, host of radars, weapons,
sensors and AI systems we will seek industry’s support. We need 300-
plus fighters and 70-plus HTT-40 trainers which we have indicated. The
industry must move together to synergise and take advantages of all
available opportunities. We should able to grab the opportunity and
change the face of aviation industry in the country in the next 10 to 20
years. If we do not act now we would only lose time, opportunity and
the capability as we go ahead,” he said.
He signed off his compact speech again reminding both Tejas
squadrons that they will become the core of IAF’s growth in terms of
combat capability for the future.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Tejas today what you are getting is the best in its class in the world. Take my word for it.
What more endorsement can you get, HAL should be elated and at the same time feel more responsible than ever to deliver on the expectations
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

suryag wrote:
Tejas today what you are getting is the best in its class in the world. Take my word for it.
What more endorsement can you get, HAL should be elated and at the same time feel more responsible than ever to deliver on the expectations
100% correct. I have added that quote on Page 1 of this dhaaga and in that size onlee. Hope you (all jingos) like it.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

One of the best times for thinking ahead for Tejas. This is a turning point event.

Mk2 should instill fear even to China and beyond.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Bhaskar_T wrote:HAL Official Twitter handle tweets that first FOC Tejas is handed over and inducted into IAF, shows an official letter mentioning the extra capabilities (air to air refuelling capability, close combat gun, additional drop tanks, BVR missile capability, updated avionics and FCS suite) than the IOC version. A historic day! I think in the pictures is the CMD HAL Madhavan handing over documents to CAS.

Images below are from LiveFist and Tarmak007 Twitter accounts.
@HALHQBLR, 27 May 2020, 2:30PM IST

HAL Produced FOC Standard LCAs Join IAF Stable @drajaykumar_ias @DefProdnIndia @SpokespersonMoD @PTI_News @IAF_MCC @gopalsutar
https://twitter.com/HALHQBLR/status/126 ... 61127?s=19

PS1 - I would love to produce that letter here as an image but I am afraid if I upload that image to any popular site such as "imgbb", it might get deleted in few months. So, please provide education, where do you upload pictures and how? (In old times, like a decade ago, the page 1 of Dhaaga used to have those details). Admins, Mods - Kindly help.

PS2 - Thank you BalaVignesh and Bharadwaj.
New drop tanks for the FOC aircraft? Are these the supersonic droptanks? Or the ones that are more drag optimized than the ones earlier?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

One of the new drop tanks is a 725 liter supersonic drop tank.