India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

Lohit
BRFite

Re: India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

Post by Lohit »

nam wrote:As I mentioned in my earlier post, the PLA had constructed a permanent structure on PP14. This is to make it visible as Chinese position on satellites. Defining the line. We destroyed it.

In return PLA attacked. This is pre-meditated attack. Pure and simple. Not a accidental clash.

This is similar habit of PLA as seen with Soviet clashes.

Unfortunately given the CCP control over narrative, PLA officers will never come to know the real history of any incident.

The only way to deal with this is retaliate hard.
Indeed. Deaths of 20 braveheart will be in vain otherwise. I'm sure Chink and by extension Pak media will be playing clips of captured Indian troops in just a few days

plus say we acknowledge that we lost 20-25 men and Chinks keep quiet

plus as cost of de-escalation we stop some border road building activity (worst case)

Even if 50 PLA troops also died, diff to see how bjp will survive sum total of fallout of this perception war.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

China will pretend to de-escalate and then give us an opportunity to pay back with interest compounded.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

I'm expecting GOI to make a more detailed statement tomorrow AM. Not because its babudom time. But _may be_ because we have been up to something between the time (Monday night as referred to in Chinese reports) there were 3 casualties on our side and 5 on their's, to 20 and 43 now, Tuesday night. Tonight they may assess and make a statement tomorrow AM.
"If the death of soldiers does not strike at our ego , then what will ? "
Do more deaths assuage our ego and bring more comfort to (more of) the families of the bereaved ?

Conflict escalation is not inevitable until it really is. When it is, we will go forward unhesitatingly with needed force.
Last edited by Cyrano on 16 Jun 2020 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Maj Gaurav Arya
20 Indian soldiers have attained Veergati and so far 43 Chinese soldiers have been killed.

Spoke to an Army friend. Morale is sky high.
https://twitter.com/majorgauravarya/sta ... 63328?s=21

2:1 kill ratio, when they are the aggressors.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

16 Bihar Regiment? Or 16th Battalion of the Bihar Regiment? A battalion is commanded by a colonel and has several hundred combat troops or more.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

At least 12 Indian soldiers killed in border clashes with China
https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1272 ... 16129?s=21

Obviously India is not China and that’s a good thing undeniably

But it’s times like this that show how not having a coherent information warfare policy can be disastrous.

That said the international media was always going to paint this to make India look bad. It’s just infuriating that Indian media gives them so much ammunition. How different would this all have been if the first bit of news and first reports were “43 PLA soldiers killed”?

Instead throughout the day it’s been the same drip drip of information that occurred post Balakot. Seems lessons weren’t learned.

Act and then set the narrative.
Last edited by KSingh on 16 Jun 2020 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
stephen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by stephen »

khan wrote:Maj Gaurav Arya
20 Indian soldiers have attained Veergati and so far 43 Chinese soldiers have been killed.

This is one guy i will really believe, hope there are no captured Indian soldiers as reported, if there is, no harm comes to them. The chinese will surely be seething with the loss of so many of their soldiers, but wont surprise me one bit if they come out with videos to keep prevent their loss of face.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Mort Walker wrote:

16 Bihar Regiment? Or 16th Battalion of the Bihar Regiment?
Sirji, thoda google karlo instead of speculatimng and demanding answer. There is nothing called 16 Bihar regiment, however there is 16th Battalion of the Bihar Regiment. And yes a CO of Col rank usually leads the Battalion
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

BBC report : Kashmir clash: 20 Indian troops killed in fighting with Chinese forces

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53061476
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Mort Walker wrote:
Ambar wrote:
Its all a speculation at this point but given the numbers of around 55-60 soldiers on our side and over 300+ on the Chinese side it sounds like it was a company.
A company headed by a Colonel?
Earlier reports indicated that the colonel along with 50 to 60 soldiers was inspecting if the chinese had withdrawn as per agreement reached on sunday. That's when they encountered over 300+ chinese soldiers who attacked our soldiers. Given the numbers it sounds like the colonel went with a company sized unit and not a full battalion . We will probably get some news in the next 12 hrs or so after the day light breaks . If the chinese do have some of our soldiers then given their penchant for propaganda they will likely videotape and play it on a rerun. The first thing GoI and IA needs to do tomorrow is to set a narrative, prepare nation for whatever the loses be it 3 or 30, stress on the enemy's losses and take no questions from our usual media buffoons.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The tweet from Gokhale stated 16 Bihar regiment. Which means everything else the fellow writes is speculation.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

From all the reports so far what we do know is that this was a physical ambush on a detachment of IA soldiers. Very little from GoI indicates action is still going on or other pertinent activity. No small arms fire, LMG, mortar, artillery or combat vehicles involved.
Last edited by Mort Walker on 16 Jun 2020 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

khan wrote:Maj Gaurav Arya

Honestly I don't take this too seriously unless coming from an official source - else it will simply be used to douse the flames and go back to pissfull "disengagement".
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

stephen wrote:
This is one guy i will really believe, hope there are no captured Indian soldiers as reported, if there is, no harm comes to them. The chinese will surely be seething with the loss of so many of their soldiers, but wont surprise me one bit if they come out with videos to keep prevent their loss of face.
India can make videos too. If most people died because of hypothermia in that Galwan River, this means the dead & wounded will be on the Indian side (downstream). This would also explain the disparity in number of dead, I am sure Indian hypothermia patients got higher priority than Chinese.

Another tweet from Major Arya
Chinese helicopters picking up PLA dead and wounded and evacuating them. They have been allowed to evacuate their dead and wounded.

Their helicopters have not been shot down by us.
https://twitter.com/majorgauravarya/sta ... 36769?s=21
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Based on whats been out in the public domain, it seems that:

1) Physical altercation was started by the Chines in response to the clearing of Patrolling Point 14 (PP14)
2) It took place at the top of a feature overlooking the Galwan river
3) The aim was to attack the CO and cause demoralisation
4) Many of our soldiers fell off the feature into the icy river and may have been earlier thought missing but were found in a wounded state and later succumbed to their injuries. This may have been the reason for the new reports of soldiers missing. Here soldiers refer to (Officers, JCOs, NCOs & OR)
5) The Chinese bought in heavy machinery (Bull dozers/Earth moving equipment as per a tweet). Question is - did they use that to attack our soldiers?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Rediff :

Slain Army officer fulfilled his father's personal dreams
https://www.rediff.com/news/report/slai ... 200616.htm

The Indian Army officer killed in a violent clash with Chinese troops in eastern Ladakh on Monday night, Colonel Santosh Babu, fulfilled his father's personal dreams of serving the country before making the supreme sacrifice.

Babu and two soldiers were killed in the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh on Monday night during a clash with Chinese troops in the first such incident involving fatalities after a gap of 45 years, signalling a massive escalation in the five-week border standoff in the sensitive region.

The slain officer's father said while he could not live his dreams of serving the armed forces, his son did.

"I could not join the army and serve my country. So I wanted my son to join the defence forces and serve our country though my relatives discouraged the idea," B Upender, father of the slain Colonel and a retired banker, said.

Expressing his heartfelt condolences over Babu's demise, Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao, in a statement, said the state government will stand by the bereaved family.

He instructed his cabinet colleague Jagadish Reddy, as the state government representative, to oversee arrangements for receiving the body till the last rites are performed.

Babu, who hailed from Suryapet district in Telangana, was serving in the 16 Bihar regiment as Commanding Officer, his father said.

He is survived by his wife, daughter and son, who are residing in Delhi.

The slain officer,who was expecting a posting in Hyderabad soon, had spoken to his mother on Sunday where the conversation centred around the ongoing tensions.

"He last spoke to me on Sunday night," Babu's mother said.

Though 'crestfallen,' she is "proud that my son sacrificed (his life) for the nation," she said.

When asked about the tensions at the Indo-China border, Santosh had said those issues could not be discussed given the sensitivity.

"I told him to be careful," the bereaved father told reporters.

Babu joined the Indian Army in 2004 and was first posted in Jammu and Kashmir, Upender said.

The family was informed about the tragedy on Tuesday afternoon by senior army officials.

Babu's mortal remains are expected to reach his native Suryapet on Wednesday for the final rites, district police chief R Bhaskaran said.

"As of now the information available is the mortal remains have to reach Delhi and from there his wife and children will travel to Suryapet, where the final rites are scheduled to happen", the SP said.

The Indian and Chinese armies are engaged in a standoff in Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley, Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie in eastern Ladakh.

A sizable number of Chinese army personnel had even transgressed into the Indian side of the de-facto border in several areas, including Pangong Tso.

The Indian Army has been fiercely objecting to the transgressions, and demanded their immediate withdrawal for restoration of peace and tranquillity in the area.

Both sides held a series of talks in the last few days to resolve the row before the differences took a violent and fatal turn on Monday.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Still don't know why every rag tag journalist is allowed to mouth off if the action is still ongoing. Shouldn't there be a national security law that prohibits news channels and any "defense experts" from reporting whatever they like when we have a fluid situation on the border?

And because these people can "report" what they like from "sources within IA or GOI" and mold public opinion, it creates unnecessary pressure on GOI to react/avoid reacting.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

m_saini wrote: And because these people can "report" what they like from "sources within IA or GOI" and mold public opinion, it creates unnecessary pressure on GOI to react/avoid reacting.
Those days are gone. This is Powered by Smartphones
Driven by Social Media
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

personally I am no fan of give me information right now. Some of course are demanding because they have some naïve expectation of the right of being informed (as they pay taxes or know English and have computer with internet). Somewhere some think that this lack of information is putting down morale (of whom? perhaps themselves?).
But most are demanding to fulfill political objective of making Mudi look bad. You talk more, more info you put out and much of it can be then used against you, within the country and without.
Now if Information on war was something so good, why is chicom not doing it, or their friends the Pakis, or the great USA , why did not it publish the photo of abottagood? Hain ji
So what will this extra info give us - Suppose we did not kill any chicom and lost 100 of ours. Telling that to the public will do what? The only thing it will do is, opposition will mock the govts, public will be aghast and some unhinged RW (you find many here) will say we are not good enough, I am cutting my d*** and convert. If the situation was other way round, no Indian died but 100 Chinese died, we announce that, what do we get. People will say photo is doctored, in fact many of ours have died and we are hiding causality, I don't believe it, and the opposition country has no potion to counter it and further escalate, perhaps in next round we kill their 100 to our 10 or 20.
So in the end what purpose does it solve? Morale? Whose the posters or the army or the public. The army does not need your morale lesson, I think they are tough enough. Public? Thanks God not all were as highly educated as you, they can perhaps manage their morale fine even if we lost xx soldiers. Every year 90 lakh Indian die of all causes (and as many chinese) . It maybe satisfying some deep seated identification of self based on inadequacy - but that needs medicine and self retro-inspection and not news.
Giving out less, telling less and keeping your cards close to your chest, let the action speak louder than word is the way to go. That this govt is doing.
Last edited by fanne on 17 Jun 2020 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

I hate to read that traitor bigot puke Ajai Shookla, but has anybody followed what he puking? Is he going on a propaganda binge against ModiJi and flooded with responses form his Paki/BIF tweeple mocking ModiJi?
gauravsh
BRFite

Post by gauravsh »

fanne wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:

16 Bihar Regiment? Or 16th Battalion of the Bihar Regiment?
Sirji, thoda google karlo instead of speculatimng and demanding answer. There is nothing called 16 Bihar regiment, however there is 16th Battalion of the Bihar Regiment. And yes a CO of Col rank usually leads the Battalion
Mort saar, fanne sahab is right. Battalion is headed by Colonel, usualy 5 companies totalling around 600 men considering ideally 120 men per company each headed by a major iirc.
Last edited by gauravsh on 17 Jun 2020 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Right. fanne.

But even GOI has to contend with the speed of social media, satellite images in public domain, smart phones that can click & film and transmit live... relayed by 24x7 news and sleepless global internet users.

If GOI waits too long, they will have to fight the narratives that have established themselves meanwhile.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Birender Dhanoa
@bsdhanoa
It is a sad day when you realise that you’ve sent troops into harm’s way with not even the ability to open fire in self defence. Even UN peacekeeping Chapter VI rules of engagement permit troops to open fire to protect themselves.
https://twitter.com/bsdhanoa/status/1272921521892163585
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Not at the cost of hampering operational options
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1272894310376235008
This is no longer a mere 'clash'. Sources have revealed that:
At least 20 Indian troops are already dead. 3 of bullet wounds.
45 have been captured with 25 of that number having been released.
135 Indian troops are injured with some at 303 field hospital and others at GH Leh.
It is a matter of time, full information will appear (in India). In war, there are losses and we accept it.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

RKumar wrote:https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1272894310376235008
This is no longer a mere 'clash'. Sources have revealed that:
At least 20 Indian troops are already dead. 3 of bullet wounds.
45 have been captured with 25 of that number having been released.
135 Indian troops are injured with some at 303 field hospital and others at GH Leh.
It is a matter of time, full information will appear (in India). In war, there are losses and we accept it.
This allegation hasn’t come up very often. If there was firing - on any side, it would be a serious escalation & I doubt it would be kept quiet. Now infact people are calling for revising ROE to allow firing.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Rahul Dhammi
@rahul_dhammi
Lt Gen Hooda on
@ndtv
:
-Show of resolve will not come from diplomatic statements, but from Military posturing
-IA also needs to look at RoE. 'No bullet fired' in last 45 yrs means nothing when there are casualties
-IA has to go tactical now to convey the right message to China
VatsRohit
@KesariDhwaj
+
Indian soldiers don't react. If the situation demands, let Indian soldiers be the first one to fire.
- Tell the Chinese that if they come within 2 km of our LAC, we reserve the right to fire. Simple.
- So, about time we change the rules of engagement.

+
12:57 PM · Jun 16, 2020
+1 Agree. I have been saying for some time that the ROE has to change. It will be a big step but IMO the time has come for that change.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

GT Boy and his rag has put out a "we re not scared of a conflict".. Chinis are really fearing a escalation from and not confident what the result might be.

It is one thing to create videos..another to fight a real war. Worried any losses will become a PR disaster.

Moreover this incident has for all practical purpose, lost their final hope of keeping India out of US camp.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

fanne wrote:personally I am no fan of give me information right now. Some of course are demanding because they have some naïve expectation of the right of being informed (as they pay taxes or know English and have computer with internet). Somewhere some think that this lack of information is putting down morale (of whom? perhaps themselves?).
But most are demanding to fulfill political objective of making Mudi look bad. You talk more, more info you put out and much of it can be then used against you, within the country and without.
Now if Information on war was something so good, why is chicom not doing it, or their friends the Pakis, or the great USA , why did not it publish the photo of abottagood? Hain ji
So what will this extra info give us - Suppose we did not kill any chicom and lost 100 of ours. Telling that to the public will do what? The only thing it will do is, opposition will mock the govts, public will be aghast and some unhinged RW (you find many here) will say we are not good enough, I am cutting my d*** and convert. If the situation was other way round, no Indian died but 100 Chinese died, we announce that, what do we get. People will say photo is doctored, in fact many of ours have died and we are hiding causality, I don't believe it, and the opposition country has no potion to counter it and further escalate, perhaps in next round we kill their 100 to our 10 or 20.
So in the end what purpose does it solve? Morale? Whose the posters or the army or the public. The army does not need your morale lesson, I think they are tough enough. Public? Thanks God not all were as highly educated as you, they can perhaps manage their morale fine even if we lost xx soldiers. Every year 90 lakh Indian die of all causes (and as many chinese) . It maybe satisfying some deep seated identification of self based on inadequacy - but that needs medicine and self retro-inspection and not news.
Giving out less, telling less and keeping your cards close to your chest, let the action speak louder than word is the way to go. That this govt is doing.
No. What we know is from disinformation and false reporting. Not chest thumping or keeping some macabre sport match numbers. What facts do we know right now? That is why we are on BRF. If you want to play your cards close, then close this thread and forum.

What it appears is that the PLA is attempting to provoking India into taking a disproportionate response.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

There will be no disproportionate military response before there is an economic response. Otherwise we are making a mockery of our military.

So, where is the economic response?

3% additional tax for made in China products. 3% further additional tax for China owned brands. That's all I ask for.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

ldev wrote:+1 Agree. I have been saying for some time that the ROE has to change. It will be a big step but IMO the time has come for that change.
I agree with ROE change, but what about the PLA whore are entrenched on our side (Finger 4-8 and hot springs area)? We need to take a call on those also - either we give them up as fate accompli or actually attack those positions.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Honestly, right now, GOI is doing the right thing. Think of it this way, for all intents and purposes, this is war. During a war, would you be constantly pestering GOI for updates or would you rather they focus on winning the war.

I would be more worried if GOI spent energy on some spin-master “Baghdad Bob” creating fake perceptions than on actually coming on top of this crisis.

So please stop complaining about PR, press-releases and statements to Parliament. This is the least important thing right now. There is a time for analysis & that time is not now.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

abhik wrote:
ldev wrote:+1 Agree. I have been saying for some time that the ROE has to change. It will be a big step but IMO the time has come for that change.
I agree with ROE change, but what about the PLA whore are entrenched on our side (Finger 4-8 and hot springs area)? We need to take a call on those also - either we give them up as fate accompli or actually attack those positions.
The practical implication of the ROE change will be that exposed positions of both sides will become fair game targets. The LAC will therefore run along positions that are deemed defensible by both sides from sniper/mortar fire. It will become like the LOC.
Last edited by ldev on 17 Jun 2020 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Not true. I suspect the local communist appointee wanted to take the next step and within the rules (i.e. no weapon), cause some causality. That quickly escalated to many dead.
The opportunity used was when inspection was ongoing after negotiation had concluded (chines have learned quickly from TSP and treaty of Hudaybiyyah). They simply backstabbed and this happened. It is very much clear from various govt sources. What is more to know?
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

abhik wrote: I agree with ROE change, but what about the PLA whore are entrenched on our side (Finger 4-8 and hot springs area)? We need to take a call on those also - either we give them up as fate accompli or actually attack those positions.
I think what we saw in Galwan might be ultimately what happens to PLA between fingers 4 & 8. Send some troops in to demolish the structures they built. It will be bloody, but effective.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

India needs to rid two misjudgments on border situation: Global Times editorial

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1191846.shtml
Chinese and Indian troops were engaged in a serious physical clash in Galwan Valley on Monday. The Indian side said three Indian soldiers were killed. The Chinese military confirmed that clashes between the two sides have led to casualties, but did not release the exact figures.

This has been the most serious clash between Chinese and Indian soldiers so far. Indian media reported this is the first time since 1975 that soldiers died in border conflicts between the two countries.

India has been building extensive infrastructure facilities along the border, and forcibly built part of the facilities in the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control regardless of bilateral divergences over the border disputes. The two sides went into repeated physical clashes as Chinese soldiers tried to stop their Indian counterparts.

The arrogance and recklessness of the Indian side is the main reason for the consistent tensions along China-India borders. In recent years, New Delhi has adopted a tough stance on border issues, which is mainly resulted from two misjudgments. It believes that China does not want to sour ties with India because of increasing strategic pressure from the US, therefore China lacks the will to hit back provocations from the Indian side. In addition, some Indian people mistakenly believe their country's military is more powerful than China's. These misperceptions affect the rationality of Indian opinion and add pressure to India's China policy. :roll:

The US has wooed India with its Indo-Pacific Strategy, which adds to the abovementioned misjudgment of some Indian elite. In 2017 when Indian troops crossed the line and entered the Doklam area to openly challenge China's territorial sovereignty, their craze was caused by such arrogance. Such an aggressive posture has won praise from the Indian public, which means that the Indian elite's mentality toward China is unhealthy and dangerous.

China does not want to clash with India and hopes to peacefully deal with bilateral border disputes. This is China's goodwill, not weakness. How could China sacrifice its sovereignty in exchange for peace and bow to threats from New Delhi?

China and India are big countries. Peace and stability along border areas matter to both countries as well as to the region. New Delhi must be clear that the resources that the US would invest in China-India relations are limited. What the US would do is just extend a lever to India, which Washington can exploit to worsen India's ties with China, and make India dedicate itself to serving Washington's interests.

The gap between China's and India's strength is clear. China does not want to turn border issues with India into a confrontation. This is goodwill and restraint from China. But China is confident in the situation at the border. It does not and will not create conflicts, but it fears no conflicts either. This policy is supported by both morality and strength. We will not trade our bottom line with anyone.

The clash in the Galwan Valley this time has led to casualties on both sides, indicating China-India border tensions, amid constant frictions, may spiral out of control. We notice that the leadership of the two militaries has exercised restraint after the incident, indicating that both sides would like to handle the conflict peacefully and not let the conflict escalate. It is noteworthy that the Chinese side did not disclose the number of casualties of the Chinese military, a move that aims to avoid comparing and preventing confrontational sentiments from escalating.

We would like to see tensions in the Galwan Valley subside. It is hoped that the Indian side can strengthen management of frontline troops and engineers, and adhere to the consensus reached between the leadership of the two militaries. It will benefit both sides if the situation cools down, and it needs the efforts of both Chinese and Indian frontline troops.

On the China-India border issue, the Chinese public should trust the government and the People's Liberation Army. They will firmly safeguard China's territorial integrity and maintain national interests when dealing with border conflicts. China has the ability and wisdom to safeguard every inch of its land and will not let any strategic trick meet its end.

Read it twice, you will see the dragon wiping its bloody nose
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

So the correct word to describe the ongoing situation is "mob lynching".

Anything goes as long as army issued weapons are not involved.

If the chinese are not revealing their figures, then India can inflict as it pleases. It's time we pull back the indo-tibetan police and send the bajrang dal there with rusted rods.
samirdiw
BRFite

Post by samirdiw »

why are we talking to these guys without killing 20 if theirs atleast? Even if the talks go on the army must eliminate 20 so that they think twice again. Army also shouldn't be looking at politicians for directions during simple firefights. There should be some level of autonomy.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Giving the Chinese a bloody nose is not the main objective. Getting back to the pre-1962 border is the primary objective.