India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

yensoy
BRF Oldie

Re: India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

Post by yensoy »

Y I Patel wrote:Gapshan
In the map above, follow Saser Pass to the east. One route from Saser Barangsa (called Saser Polu in the map) goes eastwards towards Murgo (Murghi in the map), and then to DBO. This was the traditional summer route of caravans. Now take a look at the other route that goes Northwards and then eastwards from Saser Barangsa towards DBO. This was the original winter route of caravans. It goes up the Shyok River valley, and enters Depsang Plains near the Apsaras Peaks (Northern Siachen Glacier is to its west). Gapshan is located on this route, close to where the Chip Chap river enters the valley and becomes Shyok River.

Gapshan is of enormous strategic importance as an alternate and well protected gateway to Depsang plains...The engineering challenges to building a road here are similar to those faced on Saser Pass, where BRO has been trying to build a road for 20-30 years! However, if those challenges are overcome, India will have a secure and unassailable route to Depsang Plains, DBO, KKP and even the northernmost parts of Siachen Glacier.
Sir, that is exactly what I alluded to in my earlier post. Thank you for providing the history of this route - I had no idea. My thought was purely based on looking at the satellite photos.
yensoy wrote:I am thinking we need a new road to DBO/SSN from Saser, along the eastern bank of Shyok, then following Chip Chap and thence to the DBO road near Polu memorial. The first part of the road from Saser along Shyok till the junction with Chip Chap needs to be done double quick - there appear to be tracks in the Chip Chap area leading to DBO road.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Sonugn
BRFite

Post by Sonugn »

NRao wrote:Any thoughts on networks and EW?
We are already witnessing coordinated Napak, Chini & NoKo cyberattacks. Firewalls at commerce ministry were breached & NIC quickly brought things under control. Chini MSS entities like Gothic Panda, stone Panda majorly behind this.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

NRao wrote:My my. Chinese are sooo good at construction.

Or do the sats need a new lens?

From: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/india-c ... ac-2253302
Exactly what I was talking about, Rs_singh. One of these images is wrong. Either of the wrong date, or fake.

I also checked out the other images from @Nrg8000. Maxar seems to give an entirely different look than Planetlabs. :idea: Maybe they are using SAR imagery also? With SAR, the stones and rubble will give bright returns, while simple imaging will show just flat brown.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

NRao, ks_sachin, RaviB,

Piecing together American and Indian commentaries, I’m trying to stitch together a picture. Let me know what y’all think:

1. CCP is under sever internal duress. CMC is feeling threatened by the increasingly hostile attitude the free world I s adopting towards them.
2. True to their nature, when they are weak, they must appear all strong and mighty and so you see the odd boat sunk in Vietnam, forays in Japan and ROK and the only (IMO unexpectedly bloody) clash in India. Unexpected only in that casualty count inflicted on either side is quite large.
3. In the maritime domain, having proved a point, the CCP ( and I’m using this deliberately because let’s be honest, the PLA is the armed wing and swears loyalty to thenCCP and not to the nation) has increased aggressiveness and is continually testing said defensive by repeated shallow violations into re air/maritime domains.
4. In the specific Indian conundrum, it finds itself in a Tough situation. It can’t withdraw for that would be a humiliation. It realistically can not fight a prolonged conflict because the cost inflicted in a sustained battle of attrition state on state would be too high. Not to mention, their ETC AOR starts experiencing unprecedented levels of pressure from their “other friendly states”.
5. For the WTC, I see 3 options. Option 1, continue the deployment, withdraw forces here, redeploy there. No effective change in situation on ground. I find this tenable in the medium term before the winter sets in. Beyond that, domestic political pressure in India would be too much for the government not to do anything and/or for CCP to sustain a military deployment with nothing to show for so long.
6. Option 2, sack the WTC commander, blame him for mischief and acting alone, do a wuhan redux ( perhaps wuhan is a bad idea right now). But you get the picture. Declare victory and continue as if nothing happened. I see this as tenable externally, I.e, to India, as it would mean a return to pre April 2020 positions on the ground. However, I would find this untenable internally. PRC troops were KIA, the SHA has nothing to show for it, besides the otherwise hostile world is all the more hostile yet. I see this as A gamble internally for CMC going right up to the top. Things may or may not pan out. Someone will end up swinging from the lamppost and quite visibly so,
7. Option 3. Initiate a border conflict, make it so the other side fires first and you are the “ defender “. Inflict visible and undeniable pain and immediately withdraw to pre April 2020 positions having demonstrated the will and might of the SHA. Simultaneously sue for peace with the withdrawal as a gesture. I see this as tenable internally, maybe tenable externally ? Since it provides a face saver for CCP while achieving GOIs stated goal of a restoration to pre 04-2020 GPL.

Thought, comments, criticisms welcome from everyone.
Last edited by Rs_singh on 28 Jun 2020 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Rs_singh wrote:
NRao,

You’ll get a kick out of this article, specially the first paragraph.

https://www.breitbart.com/asia/2020/06/ ... adversary/
Check the comments too. Lots of deep hatred for India and Hindus.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

Dileep wrote:
NRao wrote:My my. Chinese are sooo good at construction.

Or do the sats need a new lens?

From: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/india-c ... ac-2253302
Exactly what I was talking about, Rs_singh. One of these images is wrong. Either of the wrong date, or fake.

I also checked out the other images from @Nrg8000. Maxar seems to give an entirely different look than Planetlabs. :idea: Maybe they are using SAR imagery also? With SAR, the stones and rubble will give bright returns, while simple imaging will show just flat brown.
Dileep,

I see what you’re saying. The images I was referring to show multiple camps along the Galwan on the Chinese side and not just this beachhead. They further show these camps as having come up after June 15. As for the self proclaimed IMINT experts, the less said the better. I’m not sure SAR is available commercially at a high enough resolution and frequency to draw any meaningful inferences, at least I’ve yet to see anything to show SAR images. Even the IISS show HR images but neither point to nor substantiate SAR imagery being used in the open domain,

My personal take is, the Han is here to stay subject to certain conditions as stated in the post prior to this,
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

KLNMurthy wrote:
Rs_singh wrote:
NRao,

KLNM sir,

Breitbart isn’t known to be read vociferously by people of deep insights and sharp intellects. Point I was trying to make was , the Right in this country rarely looks to another as a “leader of the free world”. We must capitalize on this, for whatever we can get. As for hatred of India and Hindus, plenty in this country Who would jump at the first chance to denigrate this civilization. Don’t get me started on this. It’s a raw(very raw) nerve.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Dileep,

I spent some time looking at both fairly closely.

The pictures were taken a few hours apart (based on the shadows). Some of the features can - possibly - be explained by the angle of this and the angle of that. Even the color of water in the second picture - perhaps because of work upstream.

What I cannot explain is the amount of cleanup the Chinese have done in three days - if one were to consider timing, perhaps two days.

I happen to think (I used to call it NZ - after a bird watcher, turned satellite reader in New Zeland (NZ) - who became an expert on Indian defense. Go figure) the problem lies with these guys who buy these pictures from some yahoos and pass judgment without regard. Sat pictures are notoriously difficult to read. A typical situation will host a large team. And, here we have anyone that has a twitter account (which itself is silly) not just reading sat pictures, but tangentially advising Indian Services what to do!!!

I absolutely understand why the Good Lord does not want them to join Him.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Rs_singh
You have said in option 3, "Inflict visible and undeniable pain ". Is this automatically a given outcome? If not, it is just as unpalatable an outcome to the Chinese as the other options.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

nandakumar wrote:Rs_singh
You have said in option 3, "Inflict visible and undeniable pain ". Is this automatically a given outcome? If not, it is just as unpalatable an outcome to the Chinese as the other options.
Yes. It would be a given. They have several means to achieve this.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

KLNMurthy wrote:
Rs_singh wrote:
NRao,

Welcome to the great internet.

The world would be better if we all followed Satya and Dharma. Simple concepts really.

But, ....................

Rs_singh,

Promise me a Ph D. IF I respond.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

NRao wrote:
KLNMurthy wrote:
Welcome to the great internet.

The world would be better if we all followed Satya and Dharma. Simple concepts really.

But, ....................

Rs_singh,

Promise me a Ph D. IF I respond.
Sir I’ll buy you a beer or two next time I’m around. Far better than being piled higher and deeper. That’s why we get married. :evil:
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

If one considers that neither India nor PRC loose face (political capital within their country and in the world) - the only way out is a short sharp war and then China withdrawing to status-quo declaring victory. India can claim it fought lizard and got its lands back - lizard can claim it taught India a lesson.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Indian CEOs of Chinese firms to answer: Is brand bigger or Bharat?
On Saturday, the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), which represents seven crore traders and nearly 40,000 trade associations in the country, slammed Manu Kumar Jain, Vice President, Xiaomi and Managing Director, Xiaomi India, for hurting the sentiments of millions of Indians by saying that the boycott Chinese sentiment exists only on social media and is a result of "mob mentality".
Really!!
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

The problem with a short war is they can't game how we'd react - it requires us to play ball regarding the theatre and intensity. We could easily relieve pressure in Ladakh with a retaliation near Malacca straits. Second, they can't game the result of it either. Third, we could keep it low intensity for a while waiting for winter.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

What we can definitely infer from the images is that Chinis have built a pathway that can carry construction equipment to the sharp corner of Galwan river. There is enough direct and clear evidence for that. It can't be ours, since a number of reasons are stacked against that notion.

There is a discrepancy between the two sources (Maxar and Planetlabs). Maxar seems to highlight the 'surface roughness', be it rocks/rubble or water flow. This is noticeable in a number of images. Maxar does offer SAR fused imagery as per their site. Hence my argument that the reason for these highlighting could be SAR fusion. Planetlabs OTOH seems to be purely image based, with some amount of smoothening done.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Prepare for India border row to escalate, Chinese strategists warn Beijing - SCMP
Hawkish Chinese military strategists have called on Beijing to be better prepared for an escalation in its border dispute with India, saying the potential for armed conflict between the two nuclear powers is on the rise.

A number of retired members of the Chinese military are calling for Beijing to prepare for further escalation, including granting its frontline troops more power to respond to an “intrusion” by Indian forces and deploying non-lethal hi-tech weapons such as laser guns along the border.

Qiao Liang, a retired air force major general and military theorist, said that while the possibility of an all-out war between the two countries remained low, China needed to prepare for an escalation into an armed conflict.

“We should not overestimate India’s response, but we must also not let our guard down,” Qiao said in an article posted on his WeChat account.

China must “take the initiative” in case of a more serious military conflict along the border, he said.

“If we must fight a war, we must strike quickly and contain the scale in a small and mid-sized war aimed at causing pain to our opponents and hence gaining respect via small wars,” he said, adding that such a victory would project China’s power to the United States and pro-independence forces in Taiwan.

Wang Yunfei, a Chinese naval expert and retired PLA Navy officer, said Beijing should increase support for frontline troops, such as granting them the power to counter an intrusion without requiring higher approval.

“[We should] strengthen surveillance along the border region and in case of a transgression by the Indian Army into the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control, we will counter-attack resolutely and such an attack should not be bound by the Line of Actual Control … until we have completely forced the Indian army into retreat,” Wang said in the article reposted by Ordnance Industry Science Technology, a Chinese journal covering defence industries and technologies.

Wang also suggested that Chinese troops should prepare for a possible escalation from hand-to-hand combat to an armed conflict.

“The Indian Army has repeatedly transgressed the border and destroyed Chinese camps, roads and other military facilities. If that happens again, the Chinese side should use more forceful measures to destroy the opposing side’s facilities and equipment,” he said.

Wang also said that Chinese troops should prepare to deploy non-lethal weapons such as lasers, tear gas and stun grenades after reports that India had changed its rules of engagement in the area.

He said that if the situation escalated despite last week’s military and diplomatic talks, China should make preparation for a possible military conflict a higher priority than further diplomacy.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Gaming is very easy.

Sustaining the results of the game is very, very difficult.

See here.

To curb Chinese imports, make Indian manufacturing competitive, widespread: Maruti Suzuki chairman
"Everybody knows that importing products over time actually becomes more and more expensive as the rupee gets weaker. If you were importing something 10 years ago, the same product today will cost 60-70 per cent higher...
"So it is not really in anybody's commercial interest to continue to import, you import because you really have little choice in the matter," Bhargava told PTI in an interview.
And the kicker
Asked if companies, including those in the automotive sector, need to worry in the wake of rising voices against Chinese imports following Indo-China border clashes in Ladakh, Bhargava said, "This is a natural reaction to what has happened on the border. We had this happen with Pakistan also. It doesn't become policy. I think the policymakers think carefully before they make or unmake a policy. They don't react to popular sentiments."
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Prepare for India border row to escalate, Chinese strategists warn Beijing - SCMP
No one reads SCMP in China, this is disinformation aimed at scaring India.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

And, if they were to fail? I guess Chinese strategists do not consider alternatives.
idan
BRFite

Post by idan »

What we need is the following in bulk ASAP and then we go to thrash Chinese and take back Aksai Chin and beyond:

1. Fighter jets with A2A continent even if we need to buy some second hand
2. Artillery guns, MBRLs
3. AD SAM batteries both QRSAM and MRSAM
idan
BRFite

Post by idan »

Larry Walker wrote:
idan wrote:This is the UPA govt's 2006 official position on China's encroachment of Indian land .... 43180 sq. kms to be precise. If you question any Congress stooge with this fact and ask them how much have they recovered till 2014 ....... this will shut down their canard. I have tried it and it works wonders!

This is where current GoI needs to show it is nationalist. This argument sounds like before asking us to push back Chinese ask Congress why they lost all that land. Now it sounds ridiculous because Indian civilization has already punished Congress not once but twice for all their misdeeds and treachery.
Here - if one is BJP supporter and/or nationalist - the only message should be we will push back the Chinese and our mission statement is to get back all our lost lands at some point, even if it is currently under Chinese occupation.
That is exactly the plan. If that scoundrel Antony would not have sat over fighter jet procurement for 10 years we would not have such dwindled squadrons. UPA regime couple with our DRDO PSU culture has led to loss of face. Time to rethink!
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

idan wrote:What we need is the following in bulk ASAP and then we go to thrash Chinese and take back Aksai Chin and beyond:

2. Artillery guns, MBRLs
How will that help take back land?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

srin wrote:The problem with a short war is they can't game how we'd react - it requires us to play ball regarding the theatre and intensity. We could easily relieve pressure in Ladakh with a retaliation near Malacca straits. Second, they can't game the result of it either. Third, we could keep it low intensity for a while waiting for winter.
Malacca Straits..

Just curious why you chose that?
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

Pakis are eerily quite in all this - despite taller/sweeter/deeper friendship with Chinese. So either something sinister is being planned and who better than Pakis to mislead and deceive Indians (based on 70 yrs direct experience) or the simpler explanation is that they actually know that lizards have no appetite to fight and will pull back and then Modi being a Gujrati will try to get some value from all this huge mobilisation and deployment and may start GB-PoK campaign :D
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Larry Walker wrote:If one considers that neither India nor PRC loose face (political capital within their country and in the world) - the only way out is a short sharp war and then China withdrawing to status-quo declaring victory. India can claim it fought lizard and got its lands back - lizard can claim it taught India a lesson.
That defeats the purpose does it not of what we want to do?
Tell a lie repeatedly and it becomes the truth and for the Chinese declaration of Victory will cause us problems again in a few years...
LakshmanPST
BRFite

Post by LakshmanPST »

Interesting part in the article is this sentence---> “We should not overestimate India’s response, but we must also not let our guard down,”...

Any matured military strategist will say, "we should not underestimate"...
This article is aimed at Non-Chinese audience...
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Larry Walker wrote:Pakis are eerily quite in all this - despite taller/sweeter/deeper friendship with Chinese. So either something sinister is being planned and who better than Pakis to mislead and deceive Indians (based on 70 yrs direct experience) or the simpler explanation is that they actually know that lizards have no appetite to fight and will pull back and then Modi being a Gujrati will try to get some value from all this huge mobilisation and deployment and may start GB-PoK campaign :D
Or maybe we know what they can do and have deployed so well that they have no tactical options to exploit.
idan
BRFite

Post by idan »

ks_sachin wrote:
idan wrote:What we need is the following in bulk ASAP and then we go to thrash Chinese and take back Aksai Chin and beyond:

2. Artillery guns, MBRLs
How will that help take back land?
We can launch a massive military campaign in the border to evict the Chinese. Technically we are not invading China/Tibet but reclaiming our own territory. Had the items listed above were in surplus would we have waited? Why are we placing order for imported ordnance now as a reaction? Somewhere there is a gap I presume however we try to sugar coat it.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

https://mobile.twitter.com/pradip103/st ... 2327230465
Paki RAPE class dude raging against birather mulks voting for India at UN.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

We should stop assuming blocking Malaca straits is some sort of magic pill.

The Chinese will simply move up to IOR and block ship transports from Chennai or even in Arabian sea from Mumbai or Gujarat.

Blocking Malaca straits is an option DURING a war. It should NOT be used for starting one! :roll:
LakshmanPST
BRFite

Post by LakshmanPST »

Larry Walker wrote:If one considers that neither India nor PRC loose face (political capital within their country and in the world) - the only way out is a short sharp war and then China withdrawing to status-quo declaring victory. India can claim it fought lizard and got its lands back - lizard can claim it taught India a lesson.
China can not claim victory even in a short and sharp war, unless the casualties are disproportionately higher... And that is not going to happen...
The Chinese need to 'show' its military superiority to the world... It won't happen until they change the status quo or impose severe casualties...
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

*Option* of action in Malacca should depend upon the situation in Ladakh. Not having an option ties the decision makers in case the situation goes south. It is akin to not using IAF for offensive action in 1962. We can't let the adversary control our escalation ladder. If we have significant reverses, hurting them using Navy should be an option.

You don't *have* to use the option. Just knowing that the option even is considered will give the adversaries pause. IN wasn't used during Kargil but was ready as an option. Also - it isn't a binary option. It starts with intense patrolling, buzzing their vessels, Navy chief visiting A&N to check for preparedness to let them know we will make a play for it.

Before and during a war is a bit nebulous - in a salami slicing scenario we're in right now, there is only a continuous escalation ladder leading to a full fledged war. We're already on it. If de-escalation doesn't happen and they don't go back to status quo positions, then there will be escalation. We're already discussing air defense, missile attacks, artillery, shooting down of helicopters (in the previous pages). Why leave the Navy out ?

Nobody said it was a magic pill - there are no magic pills. But their economy relies on trade and energy. We can hurt them badly. Sure they can hurt us, but if we can't win in IOR, then we are in really bad shape indeed.
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

https://youtu.be/4aHhbUKAWq8

Listen for few mins from 5:30 onwards - basically the thinking in CMC is that Doklam was loss of face for China caused by inept generals and it need to be avenged and India shown it's place. So does not seem like this time they will vacate without a fight.
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

LakshmanPST wrote: China can not claim victory even in a short and sharp war, unless the casualties are disproportionately higher... And that is not going to happen...
The Chinese need to 'show' its military superiority to the world... It won't happen until they change the status quo or impose severe casualties...
Yes - they understand that - and that's the reason for a massive PLAAF buildup opposite to the disputed area. They want to dissuade India from using it's airforce for the limited objective of pushing back just the incursion. So choices they have put on table is - India just employs infantry to assualt the occupied posts and retake it with heavy losses or use manoeuvring and IAF and fight a full war in that sector where Chinese MIC can be brought to bear. I think they have calculated that we will go for plain infantry assault and they can inflict disproportionate casualties.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Martial arts experts arriving, Jackie Chan? :rotfl:

In a report,it is stated that the PLAAF have despatched some of their AWACS to the region. These aircraft could hold the key to winning the air battle. What are our best options to take them out/neutralise them and their fleet of other aircraft?
A recent SCMP report quoting a PLA daily indicates that PLAAF aircraft have been given new paints and coatings to reduce detection. Whether the aircraft stationed in Tibet have these coatings is a matter for the experts,but knocking out their force multipliers like their AWACS is essential.Acquiring MIG-31K aircraft with their 400km Kinzhal AAMs must be seriously examined as well as a batch of SU-57s at the earliest to counter their stealth fighters which will certainly be fielded against us.

SRIN, quite right about '62 and not using the IAF then, IN now.Loss of face is what the Chinese fear most. Imagine the sensation worldwide if the IN seize Chin oil tankers and MVs transiting the Arabian Sea from the Gulf and sinking elements of their IOR flotilla. Attacking and destroying their base ar Djibouti must be an option to show African nations what will happen if they hand over bases to China. Sinking as said before Chin MVs just out of Hambantota and Colombo,in full view of the Lankan pro-Chinese regime,will do more for our foreign policy than years of diplomatic verbiage.

The IN MUST be used from Day 1.It will carry the message not to mess with India all over the globe especially to the smaller ASEAN states threatened by China in the Indo- China Sea ( ICS),exploding the myth of superiority of the Chin military and navy,showing that the dragon has feet of clay and can be mortally wounded.Imagine the fate of Chinese trade which is its lifeline.

I quoted earlier words from that genius on maritime affairs,Adm. Thayer Mahan,who famously said; " whoever dominates the Indian Ocean will dominate Asia,the destiny of the world will be decided upon its waters.."
Said long before oil became such a vital commodity for global growth! Let our decision-makers in Delhi please heed Mahan's words and not get obsessed with a few kms. of almost inaccessible land in the high Himalayas,what China is trying to do,divert our attention landwards even as it has downsized its army by 300,000 troops and concentrated its efforts on its navy to build it powerful enough to take on the USN.
Right now we have an advantagd in the IOR where we can really hurt them with massive loss of face. We should seize the day!
Last edited by Philip on 28 Jun 2020 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

For India each soldier life is precious. We will wait out even if it take years just like 1987.