Artillery Corps: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Artillery Corps: News & Discussion

Post by Rakesh »

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Holy *****
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

this is huge.. that means it might not go everywhere..long range should take care of that ..
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

ArjunPandit wrote:this is huge.. that means it might not go everywhere..long range should take care of that ..
Guys, stop flippantly saying such things, so it becomes an axiom.

Rakesh-saar, it is the angle of the pic. Those troopers are standing quite a bit behind the tow-arm, compared to the photographer. The gun is heavier than FH77, but seem to want to stick to the tow-length of the older gun

For reference with human form (From Rediff):

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

hnair wrote:Rakesh-saar, it is the angle of the pic. Those troopers are standing quite a bit behind the tow-arm, compared to the photographer. The gun is heavier than FH77, but seem to want to stick to the tow-length of the older gun.
100% correct Saar. I just cut-and-paste the tweet (comment and picture) in its entirety.

That angle makes it look massive.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Rakesh wrote:
hnair wrote:Rakesh-saar, it is the angle of the pic. Those troopers are standing quite a bit behind the tow-arm, compared to the photographer. The gun is heavier than FH77, but seem to want to stick to the tow-length of the older gun.
100% correct Saar. I just cut-and-paste the tweet (comment and picture) in its entirety.

I have seen the gun in front of my eyes and its not that big.

I hope these images give a better idea.

Last edited by Kakarat on 05 Aug 2020 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Lucky you! Us mortals have to live with pictures :|
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

nam wrote:So Arjun MK1A chassis weight is 40 ton with mine plough and turret around 28 ton with ERA.
Can you compare that to the K-9 chassis and the engine please?
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

ATAGS pictures from Republic Day 2017 unveiling are a good reference

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6651&start=2320#p2103438

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

hnair wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:this is huge.. that means it might not go everywhere..long range should take care of that ..
Guys, stop flippantly saying such things, so it becomes an axiom.
sure sir..thanks for the correction...apologies!
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

Didn't we drop the Bhim+Denel Gun in favour of the K9 Vajra..
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

pushkar.bhat wrote:Didn't we drop the Bhim+Denel Gun in favour of the K9 Vajra..
Spot on...

Like a hot potato...
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

ks_sachin wrote:
pushkar.bhat wrote:Didn't we drop the Bhim+Denel Gun in favour of the K9 Vajra..
Spot on...

Like a hot potato...
We didn’t drop Bhim it was no longer an option for IA due to sanctions and had to go for another option.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

I am not sure about the authenticity, but found this ,,, may be deleted if it is fake.
----------

Indian Army MLRS MISSILE testing in Rajasthan | Mighty Indian Army

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN5XN8Vkak
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

It wasn't going anywhere quickly either John. the DRDO-OFB combination meant the army was dragging its feet on the matter as well.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

John wrote:
ks_sachin wrote: Spot on...

Like a hot potato...
We didn’t drop Bhim it was no longer an option for IA due to sanctions and had to go for another option.
I meant that IA dropped it like a hot potato due to the sanctions. Hot potato was more a ref to the corruption allegations. No one at AHQ would like to touch it
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

jaysimha wrote:I am not sure about the authenticity, but found this ,,, may be deleted if it is fake.
----------

Indian Army MLRS MISSILE testing in Rajasthan | Mighty Indian Army

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN5XN8Vkak
That is a Grad BM21. What testing?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Another one of ATAGS with the angle effect.

ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Ramana Sir,

I was watching a video on use of Arty in direct fire mode in the US Army as well as the Canadian Army.

One interesting thing that was mentioned is that when using arty in direct fire mode the charge used us different?

Does that resonate and if it does then could you please share your knowledge.

Regards

S
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Aditya_V, thanks.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Sir, Just right click on the Url image and copy image address, that you can put in between the [img][img].

You can delete my posts after the correction.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I put the wrong URL.

But, since images are not always rendered on my browser correctly, I assumed it was one such case. Thanks for fixing.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Bhim has a very interesting story.

Indian Army had invited all the leading SP (Tracked) systems for evaluation. But what it was looking for was to mate the turret of these systems on T-72 chassis for obvious reasons.

T-72 chassis proved unequal to the task and seemed to have developed issues under sustained firing.

This is where the Arjun chassis came into picture. Bhim was a done deal but for two issues:

1. Renuka Chowdhary of the Congress wrote a letter to MOD when NDA-1 was still in service questioning the selection of Denel over the Russian gun. She repeated this letter exercise when UPA-1 came into power post 2004.

Later, there were press reports that she'd done this under the influence of bureaucrats and army officers who were pimping the Russian gun.

2. Denel got black-listed in 2005 over the supply of anti-material rifle. Ultimate irony is that it was exonerated in this case in 2018.

India lost out on a wonderful gun which in probability would've also pushed domestic development in other gun categories as well.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

rohitvats wrote:Bhim has a very interesting story.

Indian Army had invited all the leading SP (Tracked) systems for evaluation. But what it was looking for was to mate the turret of these systems on T-72 chassis for obvious reasons.

T-72 chassis proved unequal to the task and seemed to have developed issues under sustained firing.

This is where the Arjun chassis came into picture. Bhim was a done deal but for two issues:

1. Renuka Chowdhary of the Congress wrote a letter to MOD when NDA-1 was still in service questioning the selection of Denel over the Russian gun. She repeated this letter exercise when UPA-1 came into power post 2004.

Later, there were press reports that she'd done this under the influence of bureaucrats and army officers who were pimping the Russian gun.

2. Denel got black-listed in 2005 over the supply of anti-material rifle. Ultimate irony is that it was exonerated in this case in 2018.

India lost out on a wonderful gun which in probability would've also pushed domestic development in other gun categories as well.
Rohit, thanks for the inside information (Renuka Chowdhary's dad was in the army as per her claim)
Saw your explanation on current China standoff one of the TV channel it was very good
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Denel blacklisting was part of CBM measures as those anti material rifles were causing trouble for the Pakis.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Weren't all the China specific weapons cancelled or delayed by UPA?
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Aditya_V wrote:Denel blacklisting was part of CBM measures as those anti material rifles were causing trouble for the Pakis.
is there anything more to read in this somewhere?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

You mean anti material rifles causing damage?
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Artillery is now a part of negative list. India will not import any artillery from anywhere!

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Super no wonder army is buying the sig sauer now. This is a really good move.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Hmm... As happy as I am with the decision to create the negative list, the specificity of the released list actually seems to me will counteract any benefits... It's almost like they looked at a list of locally available products that the MoD has already decided to buy and chose to list the products accordingly.

If they wanted to really create opportunities for local development of military hardware, they would have been more general in the listing on the negative import items... For example, listing "Small arms ammunition", "infantry transport vehicles", or "Field Artillery weapons not designated as ultralight". The shipborne cruise missile and 7.62 sniper rifles are good starts.

[EDIT] I notice that armoured fighting vehicles are in the list with an embargo year 2021, so I stand happily corrected. Now let's actually meet these timelines!
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

This is a very welcome step and creates a bold new approach. Let the nascent Indian private MIC deliver on the modest but yet decent list put together in time. Then this list can be expanded further.

More than the list, the intent and direction is super important. The recent reforms and relaxations regarding Pvt industry participation in defence and space and opening up that space for upto 100% FDI (or was it 75%) and the logistics and approval framework under the national refence industrial corridor have all come together nicely.

By end 2021, this list can be further expanded significantly.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Also might have resurrected the Arjun :cry:
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The list for artillery is fascinating. No importing 39cal ULH. NOT 45/52 cal ULH.

MGS is not in the list.

Importing does not mean, no ToT. If Israeli towed is contracted, BF is suppose to produce it locally anyways. :roll:

As usual MoD has played with the words nicely.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

nam wrote:The list for artillery is fascinating. No importing 39cal ULH.
Kalyani prototypes are ready. Time for MoD to put money where their mouth is.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

All ULH are 39 cal AFAIK. There is a 58 cal mod of the M777 but that may no longer be ultra-light.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thakur_B wrote:
nam wrote:The list for artillery is fascinating. No importing 39cal ULH.
Kalyani prototypes are ready. Time for MoD to put money where their mouth is.
Thats why its on the list.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

ramdas wrote:All ULH are 39 cal AFAIK. There is a 58 cal mod of the M777 but that may no longer be ultra-light.
A 155mm by 58 gun wont be easily transportable?. The gun alone will be 9 meters long, plus add 2 more meters, it difficult for any helicopter to balance it.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Kakarat wrote:
Rakesh wrote: 100% correct Saar. I just cut-and-paste the tweet (comment and picture) in its entirety.

I have seen the gun in front of my eyes and its not that big.

I hope these images give a better idea.
Thank you for clarifying and posting these images Kakarat. Otherwise, without any reason a new canard will start floating around that ATAGS is too big and won't go certain places. :roll:
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Could you please post this on Twitter too Rohit? The larger community of Indians must get to know about the huge lost opportunity and the sabotage by political actors with support from other quarters?