India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

Post by ramana »

Folks one of our Inida based members is going to have a Facebook session/webinar with DRDO chief.
Please put your top 5 questions here so he can collate and get answers for you.
Please no long paragraph questions as time is limited.
Eg. Question when is Dhruvastra going to be integrated with LCH?
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Wokay me!
Q: Status of Shaurya
Q:Status of the OFB High Mobility TEL whose sole pic of it undergoing tests in the deserts is now mia.
It looked like a MZKT clone, iirc
Edit: Got it!

Some more that I can think of
Q: Siva pod update(post the livefist report)
Q: ACTAS program update
Q: Tapas UAS update
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Q: What are the 3 major technologies where we are farthest away from state of the art?

Q: What's your advice for Indians currently abroad who want to join the Indian MIC, but might be discouraged? Specifically those who want to return and form their own start-ups.

Q: Which DRDO project that is currently not very well known do you think is going to be a game changer for us?
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

1) Why this inordinate delay in getting Helina & Dhruvastra ready with LCH - enemy is at the doors
2) Why was Nirbhay project closed down as a tech-demonstrator? Couldn't the existing version be inducted by at least 1 of the 3 arms?
3) When will BMD deployment (at least Phase 1) be complete?
4) When will Uttam fly in a Tejas?
5) Will either the Tejas or AMCA fly with Kaveri? Are steps being taken to master the "turbofan core" tech that no country will share with us?
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Q: With many jet engine and hypersonic projects in India, why has DRDO\GTRE not yet created a flying test bed for in flight testing of those?

Q: Any plans to develop expendable RF decoys like Brite Cloud as additional layer of protection along with Jammer.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Q: What platforms are earmarked for export to achieve Rs.35K crore defence export target by 2025
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Another Q, How far along is the 1500HP powerpack development? Timelines? Production partners?
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

MeshaVishwas wrote:Q:Status of the OFB High Mobility TEL whose sole pic of it undergoing tests in the deserts is now mia.
Isnt that the HanuMAN, MAN's proposed replacement for ShaktiMAN truck that got scuppered on cost grounds? It apparently was superior to the TATRA.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Hello Ramana garu, I'd like to add two questions to the fray
  1. Is Integrated Electric Propulsion(IEP) in work for naval application of nuclear propulsion? The Technology Developemnt Fund document shows an electric motor in the schematic, is it a permanent magnet motor?
  2. Are we moving to DAS like system from MAWS on AMCA?
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

tsarkar wrote:
MeshaVishwas wrote:Q:Status of the OFB High Mobility TEL whose sole pic of it undergoing tests in the deserts is now mia.
Isnt that the HanuMAN, MAN's proposed replacement for ShaktiMAN truck that got scuppered on cost grounds? It apparently was superior to the TATRA.
First time I am hearing the name saar.
This IIRC was supposed to rid us of the Cheeni Volvo/MAN tractors and make our missile carriers truly all terrain.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://drdo.gov.in/sites/default/files ... st2020.pdf

Talks mostly about Corona.

Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria visits ADE

DRDO news letter
August 2020 | volume 40 | issue 08
pandyan
BRFite

Post by pandyan »

ramana wrote:Folks one of our Inida based members is going to have a Facebook session/webinar with DRDO chief.
Saar,

1. From DRDO labs to production at scale - There is a general perception that products from labs do not translate to high quality products due to issues in manufacturing them. What steps is DRDO taking to mitigate risk due to perceived and actual issues with manufacturing quality?

2. End-less trials - There is a general perception that products designed and built in India has to go through end-less cycles of testing (summer, winter, in desert, and in the himalayas) example: Nag + Namica, Arjun. Where as imported products are accepted more readily and there is a perceived willingness from users to work through the issues. How is DRDO planning to cut down the time spent on trials? Would we see region-optimized products (instead of single product that works everywhere)?

3. Private sector small-medium companies like Tonbo and SSS are heavily dependent on domestic orders and support. How does DRDO plan to help these domestic small-medium companies (with actual orders and budget)
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

MeshaVishwas wrote:Wokay me!
Q:Status of the OFB High Mobility TEL whose sole pic of it undergoing tests in the deserts is now mia.

This is the TATA Prima 12 X 12.

I just wish for the real deal - MZKT 16 X 16 or a clone from Tata/Ashok Leyland struting down the Rajpath with a Surya ICBM or a Fat Agni (8-10 MIRV) as its Payload
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Okay some more searching around and I found this:
Ashok Leyland also won a tender from the DRDO to develop an even heavier 12x12 vehicle to mount the country’s long range strategic missiles. These vehicles can carry a maximum load of 34 tonnes.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 547162.ece#!
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Vips wrote:

This is the TATA Prima 12 X 12.

I just wish for the real deal - MZKT 16 X 16 or a clone from Tata/Ashok Leyland struting down the Rajpath with a Surya ICBM or a Fat Agni (8-10 MIRV) as its Payload
The TATA vehicle looks different (cabin, windows etc)
It is definitely the Super Stallion 12*12
Clicky
So my question is answered :mrgreen:
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

1. What is the status of Uttam, how does it compare to in-service kit, why can't we scale it up for the Su-30.
2. What is the status of EW projects for the Su-30 and LCA, such as EW pods.
3. What are we doing for counter stealth projects.
4. What are we doing w/anti-tank ammo such as FSAPDS?
5. What is the status of the follow-on to the Arjun or beyond Arjun Mk1A.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks I sent the link to this page. And lets hope he gets some answers.

ramana
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Ramanaji
My questions:
1. What is status of our AIP cells and possible integration with existing Deisel/Electric vessels.
2, Underwater unmanned vehicles where are we at the moment and the future development
3. Is there any proposals for desi version of 'Iron Dome'
4. Is there any project for armed TAPAS UAV's
5. What three techs in our grasp for full scale production in next 5-10 yrs
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

Please translate all abbreviation and eloborate as the audience that will hear the questions are not as technical as you engineers etc.. Even I dont understand that all these actas etc mean
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

Prem Kumar wrote:1) Why this inordinate delay in getting Helina & Dhruvastra ready with LCH - enemy is at the doors
2) Why was Nirbhay project closed down as a tech-demonstrator? Couldn't the existing version be inducted by at least 1 of the 3 arms?
3) When will BMD deployment (at least Phase 1) be complete?
4) When will Uttam fly in a Tejas?
5) Will either the Tejas or AMCA fly with Kaveri? Are steps being taken to master the "turbofan core" tech that no country will share with us?
expand BMC and AMCA.. sorry for the nunna poocch!!
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

Will forward these questions. let us hope he answers most. I wont be able to understand fully most of the answers regarding technicalities. it is best if some of you guys join the talk tomorrow india time.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

Samutkarsh IAS Karnataka (a sangh based ngo)
Presents

Live Talk on:
Self Reliance in Defence Technologies

By Dr. G Sateesh Reddy, Chairman, DRDO and Secretary to Govt.Of India, Department of Defence R&D, Ministry of Defence.
Date : 16-08-2020, Sunday
*Time: 11.30 am *

SamutkarshIAS Facebook Live

https://www.facebook.com/SamutkarshIAS/
Last edited by manju on 15 Aug 2020 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

all of you can join here
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

MeshaVishwas wrote:
The TATA vehicle looks different (cabin, windows etc)
Clicky
The wheels location at the fron of the truck shows that it's neither Prima or Stallion. It is third vehicle. Look closely at the front 6 wheels.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

manju wrote:

Please translate all abbreviation and eloborate as the audience that will hear the questions are not as technical as you engineers etc.. Even I dont understand that all these actas etc mean
:D
Siva Pod: Details here.
Although I think I confused it with the other Jammer pod, I think this will be covered in response to Karan's Qs.
ACTAS: Active Towed Array Sonar System
NPOL(Naval Physical & Oceanographic Laboratory) was working on this.
Supposed to have a "reelable" Transmitter(&Receiver) compared to the NAGAN system which has only a reelable receiver[Sorta like a NAGAN NG or something to that nature]
https://www.drdo.gov.in/nagan

TAPAS UAS:Tactical Airborne Platform for Aerial Surveillance Unmanned Aerial System
This is supposed to complement/replace the Israeli Heron in the Medium Altitude Long Endurance(MALE) category.
Last update from early Feb here.
Pratyush wrote:
MeshaVishwas wrote: The TATA vehicle looks different (cabin, windows etc)
Clicky
The wheels location at the fron of the truck shows that it's neither Prima or Stallion. It is third vehicle. Look closely at the front 6 wheels.
Yes but the report by Peri (The Chindu) lead me to the AL website and the bingo(?)
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

DRDO-developed anti-drone system deployed near Red Fort on Independence Day.

An anti-drone system developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was deployed near the Red Fort on Saturday on the occasion of the 74th Independence Day.

The DRDO-developed system can detect and jam micro drones up to 3 kilometres and use laser to bring down a target up to 1-2.5 kilometres
depending on the wattage of laser weapon, officials had earlier said.

It can be an effective counter to increased drone-based activity in the western and northern sectors of the country.

Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

ramana wrote:Folks one of our Inida based members is going to have a Facebook session/webinar with DRDO chief.
It was plain vanilla for the most part (likely because it was tailored to the audience of upsc aspirants). But couple of things I noticed
1. He called A-V ICBM class.
2. Final Helina trials in Sept. There were issues in range & targetting earlier. By year-end, will be ready.
3. Q: Why was Nirbhay closed? A: Who said Nirbhay is closed?
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Production & Order status of Prahaar & Pralaay?

Pinaka-3 (300mm diameter) what's the development status?

Is Astra MK2 alive or we will directly jump to Astra SFDR?

Have we started development of Suicide Drones like Harpy, Turoboprop Drone like Reaper?

Oops, too late :oops:
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

DRDO develops 6 more weapon location radar SWATHI, to be procured by Indian Army soon
Published on: August 12, 2020 9:28 IST

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/ ... amy-641443
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

MAKE IN INDIA DEFENCE CREATING CAPABILITIES FROM WITHIN
http://ficci.in/ArmyMakeProjects2020_Booklet.pdf
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

jaysimha wrote:DRDO develops 6 more weapon location radar SWATHI, to be procured by Indian Army soon
Published on: August 12, 2020 9:28 IST

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/ ... amy-641443
What is the RCS of incoming Motar or Shell, if these targets can be detected far off, this technology could be used for detecting low RCS aircraft, CM's, UAV and UCAV;s as well as enemy incoming PGM's
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I believe tracking a very low RCS object, moving with speed is one of the method to track VLO objects. A B2 has an RCS of bumblebee, but bumblebees don't fly at subsonic speed, at 10,000 feet!

Arudha are 4D radar. The 4th parameter, i believe is the ability to track speed. Should give us the hint..
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

@nam-saar, you make a good point about Doppler characteristics to detect VLO-but-fast-moving objects. Even then, we'll still need to have enough energy on the target for the CFAR to punch through the noise floor and any interference or jamming. The other issue is doppler folding for long-range PRFs, which can cause doppler signatures to coincide with the clutter ridge.

With regards to VLO detection, Arudhra is an S-band radar. For most aircraft', stealth is optimized for X-band. So an F-22 with 0.1 m^2 RCS in X-band will have a higher RCS in L- or S- band. During the Kosovo war, for example, the Yugoslavians shot down the F-117 using a VHF Radar to detect the aircraft interior's radar signature, to negate shaped stealth and RAM coating. See this link for a more in-depth explanation.

Anyway, there are multiple tradeoffs to using lower freq band radars. At lower frequencies, beamwidth (and thus, angular resolution) is worse, as also range resolution (due to lower bandwidths, typically - but not always), which makes targetting and tracking less accurate. You'll need a secondary radar for high-resolution target lock, or an excellent seeker on any missiles slaved to the primary radar.

A longer max range also means lower PRF, which reduces the max. doppler velocity. for eg, for 300 km range, max doppler velocity is only 12.5 m/s. There are some complicated schemes to get over this (staggered PRFs, for example, can remove ambiguity), but that eats up effective PRF and sector-scan rates, and might impact LPI, if the mitigation scheme requires a longer dwell-time on the target.

What we can't really mitigate is that velocity resolution worsens for a lower radar frequency. You need a larger number of pulses for Doppler processing (the so-called 'Coherent Processing Interval'), which increases search time for a grid.

With Arudhra, the threats detected go from low speed helicopters at close range to high-speed Ballistic Missiles. Which means we need a long range (lower PRF), max velocity (high PRF) as well as high velocity resolution (large number of pulses). See how contradictory this can be? This makes Arudhra an especially impressive system, if it can achieve good performance across the requirement space (max range, max velocity, range resolution, velocity resolution, scan time, beamwidth).
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

India prepares roadmap to promote defence exports using diplomatic channels

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst

Raj Kumar, Secy Defence Production says India is working on a second negative list of defence items banned from imports
skumar
BRFite

Post by skumar »

Need to see more action from the Defense Ministry - and the only action is orders given to Indian companies.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://www.iiti.ac.in/public/storage/a ... rkshop.pdf

One Day Workshop on Opportunities in Research and Development in Armament Establishments
26th August 2020
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

IIT HYDERABAD
TWELTH FOUNDATION DAY IIT HYDERABAD
To be celebrated on 30th August 2020
at 11 AM
CHIEF GUEST Dr. G. Satheesh Reddy

https://iith.ac.in/assets/files/pdf/12t ... tation.pdf

https://iith.ac.in/events/2020/08/30/foundation-day/

Live Streaming here
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Battle for RNaval hots up with 12 firms in the race.

Russia’s state-owned United Shipbuilding Corporation, Chowgule and Company Pvt Ltd, APM Terminals Management BV, Hazel Mercantile Ltd and half a dozen asset reconstruction firms have filed expressions of interest to buy Reliance Naval and Engineering Ltd (RNaval), the bankrupt shipyard owned by Anil Ambani’s Reliance Group.

The deadline for filing the EoI ended on Friday.

United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) is the top contender. It is the largest in Russia with 40 yards. USC’s design offices are responsible for almost all warships that are built and developed for the Russian Navy and foreign customers.

APM Terminals Management BV, the container terminal operating unit of Danish shipping conglomerate AP Moller Maersk Group A/S, is a surprise contender. It runs a port at Pipavav, adjacent to the yard. Port industry sources said that its interest in the yard could be with the aim of expanding the port by converting the yard, if it becomes the successful resolution applicant.

Chowgule Group runs two shipyards in Goa and a ship repair facility in Maharashtra. Hazel Mercantile is a unit of the Veritas Group.

RNaval has become attractive to bidders after the government announced a ban on import of 101 weapons and military platforms by 2024 to boost local defence production.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

jaysimha wrote:Image

https://www.iiti.ac.in/public/storage/a ... rkshop.pdf

One Day Workshop on Opportunities in Research and Development in Armament Establishments
26th August 2020
Nice!! The PDF file has no text selection or hyperlink. So, there is no way to click the registration link!! I see no other page on google.

Some IIT level brilliance onlee!!

BTW, their ee sub domain have bad SSL certificate too.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

ALL INDIA WEBINAR SERIES ON
RESIDUAL STRESSES, STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY:
NDE MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL

25th AUGUST 2020
Organized by
National Design and Research Forum
https://ndrf.res.in/doc/RSB.pdf

Webinar Speakers: The speakers will be drawn from well know Industries, distinguished academic institutions like IISc, IIT’s, NIT’s and R & D organizations