India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by vera_k »

Mort Walker wrote:As far as JayPal is concerned, she is a snake and does not give a lick about human rights. She is serving the agenda of the Islamists.
No more than any number of Indian politicians though, eh? I'll leave this link here, as most of the bio is about work not related to India.

Wiki bio page
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Folks, jokes apart, no matter what their past transgressions are, if the Dems win the Presidency, we will have to work with them, they will have to work with us. The PMoI and the MEA have dealt with successive administrations of different colours and humours and have put in place a fairly solid relationship with the US over past 2.5 decades. Have some trust in them.

Ragtagging US political leaders beyond a point only indicates that we don't believe we can work constructively with whoever comes into power and whatever their preconceived ideas or past leanings might have been. Its one thing for them to make pro-this pro-that statements as opposition during election time and quite another thing to takeover and drive policy from the hot seat.

If Dems come to power, I expect these same voices I see many members raging against, to make a quiet gharwaapsi and at least live with if not embrace Hindutva. Grudgingly or not doesn't matter.

Meanwhile, relax, grab a lassi and enjoy the MMA slugfest until Nov.

What would be worrying is if the winning side has a thin margin, especially the Dems winning by a sliver. That would IMO, plunge the US into a crisis of civil war proportions that will have far reaching (bad) consequences for the world.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

UPA time PMO and MEA hardly did anything to count or matter. Situation has changed where institutions installed by foreigners to break India need to uprooted by real Indian govt and not MoU controlled one. The carefully nurtured population of break India forces has also approached a critical point. India is also moving up the ladder faster compared to various plans of foreigners. Past records don't hold much lessons for future as the game has moved on to next level. In the past, they only had to handle PVNR and ABV while everything else still under firm control (especially poverty). India wasn't asserting itself to occupy its seat at the table. Essentially foreigners were winning various major battles that mattered. There's really no parallel in the past for what's up next.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

g.sarkar wrote:A pro-China article. In a war with China, NYT has picked its side:

Due to the present conflict between the US and China, most newspapers were indirectly supporting India or at least were neutral. Not so with NYT.
It stands correct with basic fundamentals.

It is in India's interests to see america collapse through democrat/non-WASP rule. Just as it is in Americas interest to see India collapse through INC/feudal rule.

Externally, the americans have been using Pakistan to balance india since the 50s. Chinas interests(wrt india) converged with American interest up until the late 90s. It's still a significant policy for them because the Americans cannot figure out whether they want to focus on Russia or China. They secretly hope that chinas rise will pit the han against Russia. They also secretly hope for a conventional war between india and China.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Putting on charade. Looks like forgot Krishna Janmashthmi.
‘Sleepy Joe’ ups the ante in US presidential elections, after Ganesh Chaturthi, now seeks forgiveness from Jains
https://www.opindia.com/2020/09/joe-bid ... elections/
Democratic US Presidential candidate Joe Biden has been trying hard to lure the Hindu community in the US ahead of the Presidential elections scheduled to take place in the month of November. Biden has been sending out greetings on Twitter to the Hindu community in the US on Hindu festivals. Last month he was seen wishing the Hindu Americans on Ganesh Chaturthi.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://in.reuters.com/article/usa-elec ... NKBN25T1LO
Trump overtakes Biden as favorite to win in November: Betfair Exchange
(Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has overtaken Democratic rival Joe Biden to stand as the favorite to win the 2020 U.S. Presidential election on Europe-based betting exchange Betfair, the exchange said on Wednesday.

Trump’s odds, reflecting wagers matched on the peer-to-peer betting network, stood at evens, Betfair Exchange said, versus 21-20 for Biden.
A few days back Ram Madhav had liked/re-tweeted an article about Trump surging ... I thought it was not appropriate for such a visible BJP member. Forgot to post it then.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

'A political awakening': south Asians to play growing role in US elections

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ction-2020
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

pankajs wrote:A few days back Ram Madhav had liked/re-tweeted an article about Trump surging ... I thought it was not appropriate for such a visible BJP member. Forgot to post it then.
Seems he has been involved in building bridges with other right wing political parties. Appropriate coming from him then.

BJP joins International Democratic Union
“BJP formally joined IDU, a group of political parties from the democratic world, as a full member at its EC meeting in Colombo. John Key, prime minister of New Zealand and the chairman of IDU, and Ranil Wickremesinghe, prime minister of Sri Lanka and chairman, Asia Pacific Democrat Union (APDU), along with representatives from more than 30 countries welcomed BJP into IDU. Both said the joining of BJP, the largest party from the largest democracy in the world, will strengthen IDU in a significant way," Ram Madhav, BJP general secretary, tweeted.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Jeff M. Smith
@Cold_Peace_
Research Fellow, South Asia-Heritage Foundation. Author, Cold Peace: China-India Rivalry (2014). Author/Editor, Asia's Quest for Balance (2018). Views personal.

He is pushing big for us to join Quad
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

As expected a prolonged chaos within US even after the election but especially IFFF Trump wins. The critical time for India will not end with the election in the US but will extend for a while when the sole superpower is highly distracted with internal chaos.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/stat ... 4465158145
Perspective: The election will likely spark violence — and a constitutional crisis.

In every scenario except a Biden landslide, our simulation ended catastrophically.
I haven't read the piece. The headline might be a click bait ...

Just based on the headline, this piece is part analysis, part prediction and part threat/subliminal messaging to the elites/masses to vote Biden or else ...
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Adam Goldman
@adamgoldmanNYT
BREAKING NEWS: Suspect in Fatal Portland Shooting Is Reported Killed as Officers Move In
Adam Goldman
@adamgoldmanNYT
The officials said the suspect, Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, was killed during the encounter in Lacey, Wash., southwest of Seattle, when a federal fugitive task force moved to apprehend him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/m ... d=tw-share

pankajs wrote:I haven't read the piece. The headline might be a click bait ...

Just based on the headline, this piece is part analysis, part prediction and part threat/subliminal messaging to the elites/masses to vote Biden or else ...
This is basically "Elect Biden or we'll burn more cities down." Also, WaPo consulted Bill Kristol and Michael Steele as Republicans... they are both openly supporting Biden.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

vera_k wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:As far as JayPal is concerned, she is a snake and does not give a lick about human rights. She is serving the agenda of the Islamists.
No more than any number of Indian politicians though, eh? I'll leave this link here, as most of the bio is about work not related to India.

Wiki bio page
Why did you leave that link there like a landmine without warning Saar? I clicked it and almost lost my stomach.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Haresh wrote:'A political awakening': south Asians to play growing role in US elections

"south Asians" see something wrong there?
Indian subcontinent to South Asia and slowly Indian to South Asian with West Pakis, Lankans and East Pakis. Don't fall for it.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Cross posted

Was this article by Prof. Gary Bass in NYT posted here? Recall, he is the author of 'blood telegram' that narrates the thuggery of Nixon/Kissinger towards India and their propping up of the genocidal Paki regime in 1971:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/opin ... india.html

If you read Nixon's rabid hatred of India, it ionly confirms US's general colonial approach to India and TSP and all this 'South Asia' BS, make a terror abomination like TSP as a 'front line all-lie' etc. Here are some choise quotes from Nixon:

“Undoubtedly the most unattractive women in the world are the Indian women,” said Mr. Nixon. “Undoubtedly,” he repeated, with a venomous tone.

He continued, “The most sexless, nothing, these people. I mean, people say, what about the Black Africans? Well, you can see something, the vitality there, I mean they have a little animal-like charm, but God, those Indians, ack, pathetic. Uch.”

Mr. Nixon said: “To me, they turn me off. How the hell do they turn other people on, Henry? Tell me.” Mr. Kissinger’s response is inaudible, but it did not discourage the president from his theme.

The president, in between bitter sparring matches with Mrs. Gandhi about the danger of war with Pakistan, suggested to Mr. Kissinger that his own sexual neuroses were having an impact on foreign policy: “They turn me off. They are repulsive and it’s just easy to be tough with them.”
And here are some quotes from Henry Kissinger, Nobel "piss" prize winner:

Mr. Nixon now asked what “do the Indians have that takes even a Keating, for Christ, a 70-year-old” — here there is cross-talk, but the word seems to be “bachelor” or “********.” In reply, Mr. Kissinger sweepingly explained: “They are superb flatterers, Mr. President. They are masters at flattery. They are masters at subtle flattery. That’s how they survived 600 years. They suck up — their great skill is to suck up to people in key positions.”
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

vimal wrote:
Haresh wrote:'A political awakening': south Asians to play growing role in US elections

Indian subcontinent to South Asia and slowly Indian to South Asian with West Pakis, Lankans and East Pakis. Don't fall for it.
That is, and always will be the problem with the west. All us brown folks are the same.
When I encounter that "Asian" "South Asian" $hit, I normally reply by saying to the gora, You "Polish" (insert name of the white european group they hate the most) are all blah, blah, blah.
When they object I just remind them that they A/ look the same B/what's it like to be on the receiving end of the same sort of stereotyping ???
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

vimal wrote:

Saar, it is Al-Quardian... what do you expect? The paper is infested with pakis and other renegade peacefools. When a paki commits a crime in the UK, they try to smear the entire brown community by using "South Asian". It's a trick they use for a long time.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Correct. The number of Pakis, BDs, and Sri Lankans combined are less than Indians. For whatever reason they have been elevated over Indians.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Mort Walker wrote:Correct. The number of Pakis, BDs, and Sri Lankans combined are less than Indians. For whatever reason they have been elevated over Indians.
the legal official count, probably, the illegal ? who knows !!

This why jamal Al-koranbyn the former leader of labour wanted to change the law and give anyone, legal or illegal the right to vote.

Also they tend to cluster/ghettoize so the votes are concentrated.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

The funny thing is while we are "South Asians" to the goras, we are not considered "Asian" by them.

https://time.com/5800209/asian-american-census/
At Census Time, Asian Americans Again Confront the Question of Who 'Counts' as Asian. Here's How the Answer Got So Complicated

BY ANNA PURNA KAMBHAMPATY

MARCH 12, 2020 12:15 PM EDT

With the U.S. Census online form set to go live starting March 12, Americans will soon get the once-in-a-decade opportunity to stand up and be counted. But while many of the questions on the Census may seem simple — name or date of birth — at least one is more complicated: race.

For many Asian Americans, who are the least likely among ethnic groups to fill out the Census, this can be especially true. The Census Bureau defines a person of the Asian race as “having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.”

That means, according to the Pew Research Center, that the Census definition of “Asian” — the fastest growing American population — covers more than 20 ethnicities and 20 million citizens in the United States.

But American culture tends not to think of all regions in Asia as equally Asian. A quick Google search of “Asian food nearby” is likely to call up Chinese or Japanese restaurants, but not Indian or Filipino. Years after someone posted a thread on College Confidential, a popular college admissions forum, titled “Do Indians count as Asians?” the SAT in 2016 tweaked its race categories, explaining to test-takers that “Asian” did include “Indian subcontinent and Philippines origin.”

At the time of this rise, in the U.S., contact with Asian cultures was predominantly via East Asian countries. “The U.S. was at war with Japan, then Korea, then Vietnam, and has occupied other parts,” explains linguist Lynne Murphy. In addition, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 made way for large-scale immigration from Asia to the U.S.

It’s easy to see how important that contact was. After all, in the U.K., where the breakup of the British Empire contributed to a wave of immigration from South Asia in the mid-20th century, “Asian” has a different meaning. In The Prodigal Tongue: The Love-Hate Relationship Between American and British English, Murphy writes about a British journalist whose use of the word “means ‘from the Indian subcontinent,’ and so when he wants to talk about people from China, Korea, or Japan, he [says] east Asians. In America, the situation is just the opposite: say Asian and people assume ‘east Asian.’ When people mean ‘south Asian,’ they’ll probably say Indian or maybe South Asian.”

A 2016 study done by the National Asian American Survey found that 42% of white Americans believed that Indians are “not likely to be” Asian or Asian American, with 45% believing that Pakistanis “not likely to be” Asian or Asian American. In addition, 27% of Asian Americans believed that Pakistani people are “not likely to be” Asian or Asian American with 15% reporting that Indians are “not likely to be” either. “The question of Asian American identity is contested, with South Asian groups (Indians and Pakistanis) finding it more challenging for American society to view them as Asian American,” concluded the researchers.

darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Not only food but also clothes, adult material, etc. No one other than brainwashed or brainwashing entities use this south term. Vested interest has been trying for few decades to have this catch on but it isn't working on non Indians. However it's working probably way to well on Indians and Indian descendants themselves.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

chola wrote:The funny thing is while we are "South Asians" to the goras, we are not considered "Asian" by them.
I have had this argument many times at work. Those who have said that I am not Asian, I show them a map of Asia. If that is not convincing, I tell them "I eat rice and my wee wee is small. That makes me 100% Asian". This stops the foolishness.
Gautam
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

g.sarkar wrote:
chola wrote:The funny thing is while we are "South Asians" to the goras, we are not considered "Asian" by them.
I have had this argument many times at work. Those who have said that I am not Asian, I show them a map of Asia. If that is not convincing, I tell them "I eat rice and my wee wee is small. That makes me 100% Asian". This stops the foolishness.
Gautam

Lol. At company parties, when they meet my SHQ (who is East Asian but born and bred in the States) they would always remark how nice that we were in a mixed marriage and we'll say "No we're not, we're both Asians." When I was dating her in college, I would get hostile reaction not from the East Asian Americans but white males.

They like to group us with pakis and arabs. If you watch shows like Aladdin and others they use Indian/Bollywood costumes and visual cues interchangeably with Middle Eastern ones.

Not a harmless thing either. Indians were actually killed during the backlash over 9/11 by idiots who didn't see the difference.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

I hope this belong in this thread, and I must admit that in the recent past, I've been following US media more than necessary, reason being COVID and election coverage. So last night, I decided to watch Unlce's brown Muslim boy Fareed Zakariah's show on the US global influence. Reason I give some credence to his views is because its directly his master's voice, either from the dem side or rep side: meaning, he positions Uncle's interests front and center.

While talking about China US relations, I was hoping he will at least mention Chincom aggression against India, and India US partnership if any to confront that. I mean US using its global influence to thwart Chincom aggressive designs in Asia and beyond.

Instead India was barely mentioned in his China narrative. Recall, Fareed Zakariah is one of those US cheer leaders from the mid 1990's onwards about 'next super power China', the 'peaceful rise of China' yada yada.

Last night, he could barely sum up the b@lls if any in asking some tough question to the strategic affairs Panda chic he had on his show and fed her gulab jamoon questions which she succulently lapped up. Not a single uncomfortable question on Chincom behavior. Almost like how a Rajdeep Sardesai or Shekar Gupta interview with Pappu will be like.

Reason I am posting on this thread is that after watching Uncle's mouthpiece, it seems amply clear to me that Chincom aggression against is barely on US radar, or they are quite happy with standoff with Chincom boxing India. That also explains IMO, Trump bahadur's rather inane,limp, insipid statements yesterday: "India and China in a nasty situation' and 'willing to help'. Just like India TSP equal equal, Uncle is adopting an India Chincom equal equal policy.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Question is does India wants US to intervene or even issue statements? Per some Gora analysts, India doe not want an explicit US intervention.

Even then, many US official including Pempeo have given statements against China on the LAC fracas.

Plus it is India which was and still is very reluctant to be seen in an explicit alliance with US to counter China. Our dillydallying on QUAD our reluctance to join Freedom of navigation patrols in the Champa sea along side US are poof of that.

Plus this betrays a lack of confidence on GOI/Indian Army to hold their own against China in a defensive war.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

From the American PoV, it makes sense to fight the Chinese to the last Indian. Two big economies going into a fight would weaken both, and ensure the continued dominance of the US. Maybe gain a new customer for their MIC as well. So, in our media, we'll keep hearing about American support that's right around the corner, and some folks will have wet dreams about F-35s flying overhead, etc. But American support will stop short of getting physically involved, but go to the extent of getting us involved. That explains the barely audible murmurs about the current standoff in the US MSM.

So, however the border issue turns out, we are on our own. It's best to rely on our own intel on Chinese actions, and follow the old Russian maxim with US intel: trust, but verify.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Lol. "Trust but verify" was Reagan-era American maxim about Russia. We don't know if the Russkies had a similar maxim about the US.

Trump-era maxim on Cheen is "Don't trust and verify."
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

chola wrote:^^^ Lol. "Trust but verify" was Reagan-era American maxim about Russia. We don't know if the Russkies had a similar maxim about the US.

Its actually a russian proverb that Regan used...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust,_but_verify So yeah, Russians had something similar... :D
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

arshyam wrote:That explains the barely audible murmurs about the current standoff in the US MSM.
You said it. The only barometer to get an accurate picture of US foreign policy, I mean how important a corner of the world is to US interests, is to see if his mouthpiece media (when it comes to foreign affairs that) is focusing on that spot. Thats why I posted above on what I saw on Fareed Zakariah's show. To me its not about US helping India or anything, but how seriously does US take Chincom aggression against India. Not much, and I am sure ModiJi & Co know this, but many on Indian media don't seem to get this.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

pravula wrote:
chola wrote:^^^ Lol. "Trust but verify" was Reagan-era American maxim about Russia. We don't know if the Russkies had a similar maxim about the US.

Its actually a russian proverb that Regan used...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust,_but_verify So yeah, Russians had something similar... :D
Thank you, saar! That changed a lifelong misconception. I never knew.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 989007.cms

India, US, Israel collaborating in 5G tech: Official
ndia, Israel and the United States have begun collaboration in developmental area, and in next generation of emerging technologies, including a transparent, open, reliable and secure 5G communication network, a top official has said.
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

I am not Asian, nor am I BAME or have any affinity to BLM type movements
(this is entirely white mans burden).

I am firmly of Indian ethnicity… but no longer an Indian citizen or passport holder..
All the above are easy for me because I have never been a self loather or down on myself for my colour or ethnicity.

India is a sub continent!? and if I am correct not part of the asian plate…
if you consider the geography we are essentially a people of an island nation over many many millennia. Whilst its size may not be continental… In terms of culture and civilization (Hindu) it stands apart from all those surrounding it.

Further more I would say we have more in common with a certain anglo ethnicity of a particular island nation. I have always thought this for many decades, despite some of the racist slurs of the past, we can still feel comfortable in said country.
In fact it was an english work colleague and friend that pointed out/confirmed the similarities.

My father was an uneducated person and he learnt all his english on a factory floor doing labour.
My father and uncles were all avid pub goers.
Not only that he understood and used sarcasm, there are very few peoples that can do this.
If you said to most people “very good, well done” they will mostly take it on face value and say thank you…. Never noticing the intonation or delivery.

Also the sense of humour lets me flit between 2 very different ethnicities seamlessly.
Indians have adopted their system of governance, perhaps even more successfully than the progenitors of said system.

Perhaps not the right thread for this post but I am finding a tendency for many Indians wanting to be part of the BAME classification or some other group…
Not for me thanks….. Very happy being an Indian.

Also the narrative will quickly change in the coming years…
previously they might have considered us inferior to other asians…
that is no longer the case where I live..
A lot of them will find that change in attitude very difficult to swallow, perhaps even threatening.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

‘Islamising the West’: Webinar on the rising influence of Islamic charity organisations in the West focuses on their Islamist links and anti-India activities
https://www.opindia.com/2020/09/islamis ... n-webinar/
A webinar was organised on “Islamizing the West: Muslim Brotherhood, Jamaat-I-Islami, and Tablighi Jamaat” by the Usanas Foundation on the 10th of September. The speakers at the event were the Director of Research at the Investigative Project on Terrorism Abha Shankar, Director of the US-based think tank Washington Project-Middle East Forum Clifford Smith and Director of the Islamist Watch – Middle East Forum Sam Westrop.
Webinar by Usanas Foundation

The discussion was moderated by Abhinav Pandya, the founder of Usanas Foundation. Abha Shankar spoke on the Islamic charity organisations in the United States of America that indulge in anti-India activities. She said, “The first major oganisation is the US Council of Muslim Organisations (USCMO) – an umbrella group of Islamist organisations across the US. It was launched in 2014 and has a political agenda. Every year it organises Muslim advocacy day and raises issues like Kashmir to Palestine and launches related campaigns. Many investigations and studies have exposed ties between USCMO and Turkey.”
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

nvishal wrote:
g.sarkar wrote:A pro-China article. In a war with China, NYT has picked its side:

Due to the present conflict between the US and China, most newspapers were indirectly supporting India or at least were neutral. Not so with NYT.
It stands correct with basic fundamentals.

It is in India's interests to see america collapse through democrat/non-WASP rule. Just as it is in Americas interest to see India collapse through INC/feudal rule.

Externally, the americans have been using Pakistan to balance india since the 50s. Chinas interests(wrt india) converged with American interest up until the late 90s. It's still a significant policy for them because the Americans cannot figure out whether they want to focus on Russia or China. They secretly hope that chinas rise will pit the han against Russia. They also secretly hope for a conventional war between india and China.
You have to get out of this cold war mindset. When one goes to civilisational ethos and not the cold war deep state of US, there is huge alignment between India and US. Despite evangelicals, Indian Spirituality found support and following in US more than any other country from the time of Swami Vivekananda. From Nicola Tesla to Emerson to Steve Jobs the list of US influencers who are into Indian Spirituality is very high.

India and US are natural, values based civilisational allies and partners carved out by the hands of Destiny. That doesn't mean the current relationship has moved beyond transactional due to cold war hangover from both sides. But it shows good signs of getting there.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

schinnas wrote:..From Nicola Tesla to Emerson to Steve Jobs the list of US influencers who are into Indian Spirituality is very high. ...
With due respect sir, influencers matter only when they are able to convert followers. How many influencers in the US have converted themselves and their 'followers' into dharmic hinduism, even of the made-for-their-palate 'spiritual' kind. Compare that with the number of indians converted by the EJs into christianity.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Steve Jobs being influenced didn't result in any product being Hindu focused or work environment being Hindu focused at Apple. All corporations bend over backwards to have prayer rooms for muslims but no onsite mandirs for aartis. Apple has just started being focused on India and Steve is long gone. I have been using iOS products for awhile but I don't recall them having Dharmic calendars.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

darshan wrote:UPA time PMO and MEA hardly did anything to count or matter. Situation has changed where institutions installed by foreigners to break India need to uprooted by real Indian govt and not MoU controlled one. The carefully nurtured population of break India forces has also approached a critical point. India is also moving up the ladder faster compared to various plans of foreigners. Past records don't hold much lessons for future as the game has moved on to next level. In the past, they only had to handle PVNR and ABV while everything else still under firm control (especially poverty). India wasn't asserting itself to occupy its seat at the table. Essentially foreigners were winning various major battles that mattered. There's really no parallel in the past for what's up next.
That is why Modi and co. have been the gamechanger we all have been wanting for a long time. Both the American parties come with their set of problems that India has to face. Trump admin has been kind of better for India, but he is as transactional as Modi can be. It is good and bad.

What America and the World are going through is the post-modernism phase hardened by Cultural Marxism & Social Justice. It is sweeping many parts of the World and will knock on India's doors. For India to withstand we need to look at more than an election in USA or just Modi. It is the system that matters. India was the only civilization that fought valiantly and still survives the Islamic and Christian aggression. One hopes Modi's 10 years would have strengthened the Indic system to face the global challenges.

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/t ... f-wokeness
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

darshan wrote:Steve Jobs being influenced didn't result in any product being Hindu focused or work environment being Hindu focused at Apple. All corporations bend over backwards to have prayer rooms for muslims but no onsite mandirs for aartis. Apple has just started being focused on India and Steve is long gone. I have been using iOS products for awhile but I don't recall them having Dharmic calendars.
The real reason is Indians don't ask for or use them! Nearly all the top 5 tech firms wanted to invest heavily in Indian scripts, translation, etc., but it seems Indians even those who barely know English prefer to use English interface than their native language interface.

Indians should first love and *use* things Indian before expecting others to build products that accomodate those.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

schinnas wrote:
darshan wrote:Steve Jobs being influenced didn't result in any product being Hindu focused or work environment being Hindu focused at Apple. All corporations bend over backwards to have prayer rooms for muslims but no onsite mandirs for aartis. Apple has just started being focused on India and Steve is long gone. I have been using iOS products for awhile but I don't recall them having Dharmic calendars.
The real reason is Indians don't ask for or use them! Nearly all the top 5 tech firms wanted to invest heavily in Indian scripts, translation, etc., but it seems Indians even those who barely know English prefer to use English interface than their native language interface.

Indians should first love and *use* things Indian before expecting others to build products that accomodate those.
It is not all dark and gloomy if you look at even Youtube comments; people use their mother tongue to comment. And even in Twitter people use their mother tongue. Google has good support for writing Sanskrit btw.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

I don't work for them so I can't tell what went on their decision making. However, I am pretty sure that urdu which was supported before Hindi was not most probably requested and didn't represent larger market. Same for calendars. Official Indian calendar is still not provided. Certainly GoI has some blame to take but I doubt that Indians didn't request many things and that's the reason. My logic is based on many things being provided by this big companies for many markets across the world that are much smaller than minute asks of various Indians. I still remember how long Google took to push out indic fonts that were already in their repos but were not making to Android versions. Was there demand? I think so as South Koreans and Chinese always know what Indians want and were providing many such features in their phones. By rekindling my frustrations about phones and why I started getting Samsung devices at least proved to me that there was a demand and it was being attended to by some.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://warontherocks.com/2020/08/democ ... -the-quad/
DEMOCRACY’S SQUAD: INDIA’S CHANGE OF HEART AND THE FUTURE OF THE QUAD
In November 2017, an international grouping left for dead a decade earlier was brought back to life. Amid mounting concerns over China’s increasingly aggressive behavior, government representatives from Australia, India, Japan, and the United States gathered that month to discuss ways to enhance cooperation in the Indo-Pacific, marking the highly anticipated return of the “Quad.”

At its core, the Quad is a symbolic and substantive addition to an existing network of strategic and defense cooperation among four highly capable Indo-Pacific democracies that are increasingly aligned in their shared concerns on regional security. The group’s revival was a form of geopolitical signaling from the four democracies, a way to tell China: “We’re watching, and we’re alarmed.”
India: The Reluctant Partner

The Quad’s fate has always rested in India’s hands. Australia, Japan, and the United States are already bound by a deep network of formal treaty alliances, overlapping strategic dialogues, and intelligence sharing arrangements. Drawing India — with the world’s second-largest population, third-largest defense budget, fifth-largest economy, and an escalating strategic competition with China — into greater alignment with the other three democracies has been a priority of theirs for over a decade.

But New Delhi has long been skeptical of the Quad. The Indian government was famously disillusioned by Australia’s decision to withdraw from the first Quad. At a time when India was just beginning to experiment with closer alignment with the United States and its partners, it felt it had overextended by joining the group with little strategic benefit to show for it. The experience didn’t prevent India from continuing to bolster cooperation with the others bilaterally and trilaterally. Among other things, it invited Japan to rejoin the annual U.S.-Indian Malabar naval exercises in 2009 and to become a permanent member in 2015. Yet, New Delhi remained skeptical of the quadrilateral format, wary of alienating China, cognizant of domestic opposition to the group, and unsure of Australia’s commitment.

The election of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014 saw an acceleration of strategic ties with the other Indo-Pacific democracies, including with Australia. In 2014, Canberra and New Delhi reached a landmark nuclear cooperation deal that ended a contentious legacy on nuclear issues, and they completed their first joint naval exercises the following year. They hosted their first joint army exercises in 2016 and India welcomed Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to New Delhi for a state visit the following year, providing a boost to diplomatic ties.

The acceleration of India’s strategic partnership with the United States was even more pronounced. The two countries forged their first “Joint Strategic Vision for the Asia-Pacific and Indian Ocean Region” in 2015, the same year they renewed a 10-year defense partnership agreement. In 2016, India and the United States inked a foundational “enabling” military agreement allowing for provisional use of each other’s military facilities and supplies. In June 2017, Modi became the first foreign leader hosted by President Donald Trump for a dinner at the White House. One month later, a new iteration of the Malabar exercise saw participation from Indian, Japanese, and U.S. aircraft carriers for the first time.

By contrast, Sino-Indian ties were taking a turn for the worse. President Xi Jinping’s inaugural visit to New Delhi in September 2014 was undermined almost before it began. Just over a week before his arrival, the People’s Liberation Army launched an intrusion across the disputed Sino-Indian border in Ladakh, prompting a 16-day military standoff that poisoned the atmosphere of Xi’s visit.

Xi’s decision to double down on China’s special partnership with Pakistan further strained ties with India. In 2015, a Chinese firm agreed to assume control of Pakistan’s Gwadar port, Beijing agreed to sell Islamabad eight submarines in its largest-ever defense export deal, and China unveiled plans to invest more than $46 billion in a new China-Pakistan Economic Corridor that traverses Indian-claimed Kashmir. Relations were further undermined in 2016 by China’s efforts to block India’s bid to join the Nuclear Suppliers Group, a multilateral body that regulates the trade of nuclear materials, and its effective veto of U.N. sanctions on the head of a notorious Pakistan-based terrorist group.