India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020 - Part 2

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Re: India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020 - Part 2

Post by CRamS »

Just got off after watching Brahma Chellaney talk to Turdesai. For once Brahma came across as rambling and making no sense. His central points were:

1. This Chinese foreign minister meeting our EAM is a joke. He was the one who negotiated the disengagement process with our NSA post Galwan, and see where we are

2. To Turdesai's point that ModiJi should call up Xi and vice versa and have talks, Chellaney laughed this off and said, Xi made an ass of ModiJi after all those wing rides and such.

3. So on #1 and #2, his conclusions were that talks are waste of time from India's PoV.He said both sides don't want conflict, and said Chincoms have already made the gains they have. Furthermore, India is dealing with COVID, economy, while Chincoms are dealing with international fallout

4. After all this pessimistic assessment, Turdesai asked then what can India to force Chincom to go back to status quo ante. To which Brahma said, India has 'non military options' to raise the costs to Chincoms given the huge trade deficit.

It is #4 above that is laughable. Are Chincoms going to dhothi shiver and go back to status quo ante based on some kind of trade war? Give me a break.
Lohit
BRFite

Post by Lohit »

AshishAcharya wrote: Their level of collaboration in case of conflict needs to be looked upon too.
I do feel that apart from "high intensity" shelling and increased infiltration attempts, any overt attempt by Pakistan to enter into an Indo-China war will mean immediate mil intervention from US.

Let's not forget, the west wants a weak India and (not until recently but surely now) weak China. A China that is the straddles power equations from Pacific to Africa is the West's worst nightmare.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

If PRC asks TSP for help, it makes PRC look weak to TSP - "wait, you're not the deeper than the tallest mountain, taller than the deepest ocean big brother keeping us safe from India anymore ?? You want *us* to help *you* deal with India ?"

And it makes them both look like a pair of rogues willfully conspiring towards war if that conversation is intercepted and leaked. That would not help them much at all, given that they've been leaking confidential internal conversation like a sieve lately.

Don't think about this from win vs lose alone. Think about what a bully must do in order to maintain his aura. China fundamentally needs to assert clear dominance. If it fails, or looks weak in how it does things, it emboldens multiple other enemies. China problem is not about the specifics of winning/losing as much as the fact that having turned to wolf warrior approach it cannot afford to look weak, either to friend or to foe. Their main goal is to not look weak.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Hopefully someone in the future, writes a book on the these marathon talks. Our media war has ensured that from Depsang to Galwan to Pangong, the Chinis cannot hide their LAC incursion. They want India to fear them. Any going back now, will be taken up by our media in to a victory lap. A PR disaster for the Chinis.

They are not yielding fearing the PR disaster. The number of hours spend talking must be to convince us for some face saver deal. Some nonsense like India will not patrol F4 to F8 in return for leaving the place. or rollback of economic sanctions in return for vacating...
Last edited by nam on 11 Sep 2020 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Brahma Chellaney has always came across as a rambling guy. That is now new.

Btw, in the Pangang tso sector we are already net/net positive when compared to China. Even before this latest action, I was willing to go with the NEW status quo after the action along the Chumur/Spanggur sub-sector.

With the latest action along the F4/5 ridge-line the NEW status quo is even more enticing.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

Suraj wrote:If PRC asks TSP for help, it makes PRC look weak to TSP - "wait, you're not the deeper than the tallest mountain, taller than the deepest ocean big brother keeping us safe from India anymore ?? You want *us* to help *you* deal with India ?"

And it makes them both look like a pair of rogues willfully conspiring towards war if that conversation is intercepted and leaked. That would not help them much at all, given that they've been leaking confidential internal conversation like a sieve lately.

Don't think about this from win vs lose alone. Think about what a bully must do in order to maintain his aura. China fundamentally needs to assert clear dominance. If it fails, or looks weak in how it does things, it emboldens multiple other enemies. China problem is not about the specifics of winning/losing as much as the fact that having turned to wolf warrior approach it cannot afford to look weak, either to friend or to foe.
Well tbh then they are between a rock and a hard place. They have no option left. Whatever they can come up with might not achieve the necessary dominance they want. Aka wolf warrior must do something very big. I cannot see any how will they do it while being unscathed themselves.

I think they are staying there all throughout winter. PLA will be forced by Xi and his thugs to do this. And they will wait till all of this subsides to adapt and modify their 100 year marathon likewise. They might even go back to Deng policy of biding their time. And in the meantime Xi will become more oppressive/paranoid towards the Chinese people. May even surpass Mao in bad dictatorship scale.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

nam wrote:Hopefully someone in the future, writes a book on the these marathon talks. Our media war has ensured that from Depsang to Galwan to Pangong, the Chinis cannot hide their LAC incursion. They want India to fear them. Any going back now, will be taken up by our media in to a victory lap. A PR disaster for the Chinis.

They are not yielding fearing the PR disaster. The number of hours spend talking must be to convince us for some face saver deal. Some nonsense like India will not patrol F4 to F8 in return for leaving the place. or rollback of economic sanctions in return for vacating...
Sure IFF both don't patrol BUT India gets to keep the ridge posts and the Spanggur positions.

However, out insistence of restoration of status quo is worrying. A return of status quo will mean India pulling back from the F4/5 ridge and the heights in the Spanggur area. Perhaps it will work if the overall deal includes pullback in all areas including Depsang and Gogra sectors.

Issue is how will we trust the Chinese not to break the agreement and go back to change the status quo at the earliest again now that we have shown what Indian Army can do and revealed out counter plans?
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

1962 Map of area of Chinese occupation. Looks like nothing much has changed in the northern sector from the Chinese POV. Hopefully, we do it differently this time.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Our requirement is status all along the LAC. Even if they do vacant, they will do something like this again next spring. However we will not be surprised. I don't expect lot of troops will move out of Ladakh, even if there is a disengagement.

our ISR will increase to notice any mobilization on the Chini side in Spring. If they re-occupy heights in Spangur, we will immediately move in at other location. Next year there will not talks first, then action.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CRS why do you watch those has been experts and raise your BP?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I wonder what will be the Chini objectives in "teaching us a lesson".

One view I have is that they would like to repeat a 62 format. Invade deep, then go back and be the "moral victor". Give us some sort of shock, to allow them to continue dominate LAC with less number of troops..

Wonder what else they would want..

Also no news from the SCO meet b/w Jaishankar and CCP joker.
Last edited by nam on 11 Sep 2020 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Hari Nair wrote:The fundamental reason why I am so taken aback and irritated with Gen Panag's 'analysis':
The lapses in '62 deployment were studied in detail and are well known within professional circles, in the context of Chushul.

I urge forum members to go through the excellent analysis by Gen Thapliyal in USI Journal Apr-Jun 2005.

Its a must read since we are witnessing the activation of the very same sector.

Link as under:
https://usiofindia.org/publication/usi- ... he%20same.
While the difference in IA capabilities in 62 and 2020 goes without saying, I think the Chinese are still on top of Blacktop and helmet, while we are in control of Mukhpari. Its not as bad as 62, but its not as good as it would be if blacktop were in our hands. Reportedly, Chinese hold it in platoon strength.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

Folks-this is just on the point of the Tibetans. I have been studying Tibetan language for the last year and a half and keeping my ears to the ground regarding the Tibetan sentiment. Also, now, I can read Tibetan language decently [though I am very far from being an expert]. Funnily enough, my reasons for studying Tibetan had nothing to do with the India-China politics, but this was a side-benefit for me. Also, please remember, this is gleaned from the Tibetan sentiment in India and the west [specifically, Canada]. Let me just list the pros and cons here.

Pros
a) They hate the Chinese. Our most anti-Chinese people like Brahma Chellaney are cooing doves compared to the sentiments of the Tibetans vis-a-vis the Chinese.
b) They have a reasonably pro-India sentiment, but it is tempered by what they view as multiple betrayals over the years [the feeling is that, while India has provided them with shelter, it has never shown much concern for Tibet, especially post 1980]. So, they are cautiously optimistic about India. However, they do recognise that if anyone can do anything for their plight, it is India only.
c) The re-appearance of the Tibetan mountain lion flag has given them a lot of positive sentiment. There was a lot of joy at that. After a long time, they saw the flag and they were just thrilled.

Cons
a) They are just dead scared of the Chinese, especially regarding the reprisals that the Tibetans in the TAR might face. Many Tibetans have faced brutalities at the hands of the Chinese [some of the things they claim China has done, if true, are beyond the pale of decency]. So, while many may cheer for the Indians quietly, no one will do anything much in terms of concrete action, especially inside Tibet. There isn't going to be a Mukti-Bahini from the Tibetans, certainly. At least, this is the impression I get.
b) There is a deep scepticism that India can/will actually do anything for them. They would prefer to see some token of good faith that they won't be left to rot if they do anything. In particular, they want to see if India will allow the Dalai Lama to choose his own heir and continue the government outside Tibet.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

^^ Special Frontier Force is 5,000 strong. Its a big enough nucleus to create havoc and the border is porous enough for all sorts of things to happen.
Tribes from the Kham region of Tibet are key
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

From Babaji on the EAM meeting

https://twitter.com/drapr007/status/1304121111001444352
"After FM level talk between India and China, It is almost clear - Now time to readjust Tibet and Aksai Chin."
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

I believe apart from the option of going kinetic on the western sector, CCP/PLA will be contemplating a full front on the Eastern border with an eye to capture something on the Bhutan border, going by media reports we are not fully prepared to protect Bhutan in case CCP applies pressure on the Tawang sector and ties up our troops there.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The Chinis have not committed their airforce in 62, Vietnam war, nor with Soviets. I wonder if they would apply the same tactics to "contain" escalation.

PLA might try the 62 tactics but will larger amount of artillery & MBRL. Along with tanks & ATGM. Publicly declare PLAAF will not be involved and it is a local op. Try to constraint us from using IAF and localise the fight.

They may not try to expand to air power & Rocket forces, to give leverage to remedy the relationship, specially opening up our market.

The Chinis need a short, localized, quick victory, without escalation. They want another 62..which was perfect for them.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

On GE, the highest Chinese camp I could find on F4 ridge-line is at an elevation of 16,700 feet at 33°45'17.73"N 78°46'0.93"E.

From reports that the two forces are just hundreds of meters apart, and the statement that the Chinese would have to deploy at heights above 17K if they wanted to outflank IA, it seems that IA has positioned itself just above this Chinese position. Though I'm sure they've secured heights above that as well.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

suryag wrote:From Babaji on the EAM meeting

https://twitter.com/drapr007/status/1304121111001444352
"After FM level talk between India and China, It is almost clear - Now time to readjust Tibet and Aksai Chin."
Sometimes Babaji is right. More often he is like the village idiot that runs around saying it's going to rain, and when it does he's says he's been proven right.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

nam wrote:The Chinis have not committed their airforce in 62, Vietnam war, nor with Soviets. I wonder if they would apply the same tactics to "contain" escalation.

PLA might try the 62 tactics but will larger amount of artillery & MBRL. Along with tanks & ATGM. Publicly declare PLAAF will not be involved and it is a local op. Try to constraint us from using IAF and localise the fight.

They may not try to expand to air power & Rocket forces, to give leverage to remedy the relationship, specially opening up our market.

The Chinis need a short, localized, quick victory, without escalation. They want another 62..which was perfect for them.
The chinis can't deal with a potentially high casualty count like the 1962 war with their current army. Look at Sudan, an entire battalion broke and ran because of two casualties.

They will try to win cheap with their toys if they really go kinetic. I don't think the lil emperors will be charging up hills like in 1962.

One thing I found out while chini mil watching was the large number of intercepts against USAF/USN during the Vietnam War.

There were dozens of shootdowns of US manned and unmanned aircraft by the chini air force (runs the whole gamut -- F-4s, F-105s, A-6, A-3s):
http://myplace.frontier.com/~anneled/usloss.html

So they will use the air force as it is already set by historic precedence. If they are going to use it against the US when they were a spent force under the Cultural Revolution then they will definitely try to use it now to protect a far more brittle ground force.

We'll see if they have the balls to go kinetic but if they do they will try to hit from distance and not get into knifefights. I think their ability to take casualties is significant lower than ours and certainly nowhere near the 1962 chini crowd.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

There is one Chinese American dude, Einar Tanjen, who is regular on most Indian debates. And not surprisingly, he consistently defends Chincom aggression claiming that it is the India that is the aggressor. And one point he always out is that abrogation of 370 was a 'provocative' move. And I have never seen this guy being challenged by any of the Indian guests on this point. Maybe nobody takes this BS seriously, but what do the Chincoms expect, that India will roll back its decision to abrogate 370?
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

chinese need to prove that they have arrived and that's the only reason. They have already spent billions bankrolling rogue regimes around the world. No one will give them a cent back or anything useful if they can't show their strength. Otherwise only job left in town for them is to prop up and guard leaderships like in puking land, north korea, african countries, etc.
If come tomorrow, SL leadership kicks chinese out. What's the worst that chinese can do to get their money back? Expand that to everywhere. Does chinese even have enough assets to fight world war?
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

I have difficulty believing that any power on earth can dislodge the Indian Army from a mountain ridge. The Chinese attempts after August end are probes to discover gaps in the Indian deployment. Good luck with that.

That said, there appear to be undercurrents on the Chinese side which may cause them to take an increasingly aggressive stance. I don’t see how that would end well for them.

On balance, the most likely scenario is that they would prefer to wait it out through winter if they can. On the other hand, India may deny them that option by waiting till the last moment and then evicting the exposed and vulnerable Chinese incursions in North Bank of Pangong Tso. That would leave the Chinese in a no win situation of addressing an Indian success in adverse winter conditions. This consideration might also force them to act to restore upper hand
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://theprint.in/diplomacy/jaishanka ... kh/500162/
Jaishankar and Wang hold talks, India reiterates China must step back in Ladakh
At their first face-to-face interaction since LAC tensions erupted, S. Jaishankar & Wang Yi seemed to have agreed to hold further discussions at military and diplomatic levels.
NAYANIMA BASU 11 September, 2020

New Delhi: Union External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi discussed the tensions in Ladakh Thursday as they held their first face-to-face meeting since the ongoing row at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) erupted in May.
The two met in Moscow on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) foreign ministers’ meeting. The interaction lasted nearly three hours.
While an official statement is awaited, government sources said India asserted the need to maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas.
Sources said Jaishankar reiterated India’s demand for the restoration of status quo ante, that is, a return to the positions held in April, before Chinese incursions in eastern Ladakh. He is also believed to have told Wang that the Indian Army never tried to transgress the LAC, refuting a frequent Chinese allegation. The idea behind the meeting, the sources said, was to ensure that both sides continue to engage in talks and, eventually, bring the temperatures down at border, where tensions remain high in a few areas such as Chushul, Depsang and Pangong Tso, among others around the Kailash range.
Gautam
PS What did they talk about for 3 hours? Or is it just chai biskut?
Last edited by g.sarkar on 11 Sep 2020 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Their supply of water, food and ammo is critical more so than that IA as they are further from main bases and towns. At high altitudes of 10,000 feet, you need more water. If that supply like can be cut, then the PLA is in real trouble.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

g.sarkar wrote:https://theprint.in/diplomacy/jaishanka ... kh/500162/
Jaishankar and Wang hold talks, India reiterates China must step back in Ladakh
At their first face-to-face interaction since LAC tensions erupted, S. Jaishankar & Wang Yi seemed to have agreed to hold further discussions at military and diplomatic levels.
NAYANIMA BASU 11 September, 2020

While an official statement is awaited, government sources said India asserted the need to maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas.
Sources said Jaishankar reiterated India’s demand for the restoration of status quo ante, that is, a return to the positions held in April, before Chinese incursions in eastern Ladakh. He is also believed to have told Wang that the Indian Army never tried to transgress the LAC, refuting a frequent Chinese allegation.
Gautam
PS What did they talk about for 3 hours? Or is it just chai biskut?
We are still discussing "restoration of status quo ante"?
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

We have always asked for that and we are still asking for that. I dont think there is any surprises there. Looks like we will be in this state thru winter then. What is the face saver for China here? Winter roll back from both sides considering the adverse conditions?!
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

AshishAcharya wrote:Adding to the questions in Suraj ji's post, Will Pakis play a role in all of these? Will the Chinese even want the Pakis to actively engage India with them? As they run the risk of looking weak if they can't handle a so called 'weak' India on their own. Or will the Chinese engage Pakis in a covert role aka through terrorists etc?

Their level of collaboration in case of conflict needs to be looked upon too.
Pakistanis have been waiting for this chance. But they do not know if it would be a good move. At most the west and Japan/Australia will help with some equipment and money. India will have to fight this one alone.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The Indian position is one of take it or leave it, after the latest foreign ministers talks.

The Chinese need to proceed on the assumption that the Indians have an understanding with the Americans.

It would not be prudent to assume otherwise for China.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

China used to care too much about India's dignity. Such dignity has eventually been taken advantage by Indian nationalist forces. They have forgotten who they are. This time, everything should be put on the table. If India wants peace, China and India should uphold the LAC of November 7, 1959. If India wants war, China will oblige. Let's see which country can outlast the other.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1200560.shtml

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... er_map.png

Does this mean the Chinese accept the 1959 line???? It must be a bargain for India.
Last edited by Rishirishi on 11 Sep 2020 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

The devil is in the details. What does our perception of "restoration of status quo ante" include? Does it mean full withdrawal of Chinese forces from the Finger 4-8 area? Looking at the substantial amount of infra that the Chinese have built there it is obvious that this isn't new and has been going on for years. There were some accounts which mentioned that the Chinese started having a physical presence there from as far back as during Kargil when our attention was focused on the western border.

Getting them to withdraw from this area is easier said than done. They will be extremely reluctant to undo all the gains they have made creeping forward slowly over a period of time. Now we have news that our troops have occupied several key positions on the ridgeline which gives them line of sight to some of the Chinese bases in this area. This gives us an advantage....if there is a an actual shooting war where the troops on the heights can call in accurate artillery strikes or fire downhill themselves depending on the situation. But short of an actual conflict, there is little you can do to forcefully dislodge the Chinese. Best thing to hope for is to dominate their positions tactically and try to convince them to withdraw during talks.

I am not sure what the next step is if they refuse to do so. For example, say our newly occupied positions on the south bank allow us to easily observe their activities at the Moldo garrison. That is great for us in case of a skirmish. But if there isn't one and we see the Chinese bringing in more troops and supplies to build more infra around the area, we can't really stop them without firing the first shot. Not the best example I know because Moldo is firmly on their side of the LAC, but the situation North of Pangong Tso in the Finger 4-8 area is different.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

I see no chance of this escalating with Pak. They are mired in COVID. FATF is still hanging. The fight cannot be explained to their populace in any way as there is no ongoing tension with India. Article 370 fever has died down. If China had done this few months after abrogation - different circumstances. In many ways, China chose the wrong timing for Pak to join.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

What is the 1959 LAC nonsense on GT? Is this for real?

Green line or the Red line from the map linked above?

If this is true - then what i posted several pages ago is right - china is suing for border settlement for the real fight with USA.

And this will be true - if we continue the talks thru winter and next year with current deployments.

Indian public should also be prepared for the settlement as it can be seen as loss of territory regardless of green or red line...
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Should we even quote anything from Gobar times and discuss their psyops? There is nothing called LAC - 1959. It is whatever they imagined after grabbing Tibet. After the 1962 War, the Chinese claimed they had withdrawn to 20 km behind the LAC of November 1959. So they want 20 km further inside their current position :rotfl:
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

williams wrote:Should we even quote anything from Gobar times and discuss their psyops? :rotfl:
Gobar Times has its own merits and provides us some comedic relief by showing us chicoms delusions.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

chola wrote:
nam wrote:The Chinis have not committed their airforce in 62, Vietnam war, nor with Soviets. I wonder if they would apply the same tactics to "contain" escalation.

The chinis can't deal with a potentially high casualty count like the 1962 war with their current army. Look at Sudan, an entire battalion broke and ran because of two casualties.

They will try to win cheap with their toys if they really go kinetic. I don't think the lil emperors will be charging up hills like in 1962.

One thing I found out while chini mil watching was the large number of intercepts against USAF/USN during the Vietnam War.

There were dozens of shootdowns of US manned and unmanned aircraft by the chini air force (runs the whole gamut -- F-4s, F-105s, A-6, A-3s):
http://myplace.frontier.com/~anneled/usloss.html

So they will use the air force as it is already set by historic precedence. If they are going to use it against the US when they were a spent force under the Cultural Revolution then they will definitely try to use it now to protect a far more brittle ground force.

We'll see if they have the balls to go kinetic but if they do they will try to hit from distance and not get into knifefights. I think their ability to take casualties is significant lower than ours and certainly nowhere near the 1962 chini crowd.

Agree ... but firefights in tight spaces will result in casualties.. and.there are no places to hide. The way u see camps laid out in open is scary if air forces come into action..or even the kind of firepower both sides have.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Looks like Chincom foreign minister and EAM Jayshankar have reached some kind of a break through. Can the gurus please decode:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... loh4H.html

I can bet you ModiJi haters including the Pappus and Crooklaws, as also super hawks like Brahma Chellaney and Bharat Karnard will pooh pooh this, but I am optimistic.

I am not Dhothi shivering, but heard none other than retd. general Jaswal say that we are spending upwards of Rs. 100 crore (or is it 150) per day in Eastern Ladakh confronting the Chincoms. This is unsustainable and will ruin India IMO. I wish both sides cut a face saving deal and move on. Enough of this nonsense.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Why 5-point formula - they should have made it not 5 at least to break away from panchsheel!

This is going towards deployments thru winter - probing for weakness - and a border settlement over next couple of years if current status quo holds...
Last edited by V_Raman on 11 Sep 2020 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Joint Press Statement - Meeting of External Affairs Minister and the Foreign Minister of China (September 10, 2020)
1. The two Ministers agreed that both sides should take guidance from the series of consensus of the leaders on developing India-China relations, including not allowing differences to become disputes.

2. The two Foreign Ministers agreed that the current situation in the border areas is not in the interest of either side. They agreed therefore that the border troops of both sides should continue their dialogue, quickly disengage, maintain proper distance and ease tensions.

3. The two Ministers agreed that both sides shall abide by all the existing agreements and protocol on China-India boundary affairs, maintain peace and tranquillity in the border areas and avoid any action that could escalate matters.

4. The two sides also agreed to continue to have dialogue and communication through the Special Representative mechanism on the India-China boundary question. They also agreed in this context that the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China border affairs (WMCC), should also continue its meetings.

5. The Ministers agreed that as the situation eases, the two sides should expedite work to conclude new Confidence Building Measures :shock: to maintain and enhance peace and tranquillity in the border areas.
Nalla Baalu
BRFite

Post by Nalla Baalu »

Saar, IMHO, the qouted news article reads like rinse-repeat of 'desired state of bilateral relationship' and an obvious lack of consensus on who to blame for recent readjustments. Its status-quo in diplomatese onlee!
CRamS wrote:Looks like Chincom foreign minister and EAM Jayshankar have reached some kind of a break through. Can the gurus please decode:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... loh4H.html