Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Ambar »

Darshanji, from what i know he was not on HCQ as prevention but for whatever the reason the doctor in the covid ward administered him HCQ on day 3. Apart from mild symptoms he had no other conditions or problems until HCQ was given . A 9.15 PM he called his friends asking them to pick up a takeout dinner he had ordered and by 10.30 PM he was in full cardiac arrest. Within minutes of giving him HCQ he complained of heart burn followed by chest pain before collapsing. The ward only had nurses and some post-grad students and by the time they brought in senior staff it was too late.

You are right about the callousness of people in general. It is mahalaya paksha in many states in India and the markets are brimming with activity with people falling over each other trying to buy things. Most are either reusing masks, or have no masks or have masks below their nose. It is a very worrying situation with no end in sight.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

It is not mandatory in France to wear only an N95 mask. Any mask is OK as long as it covers the nose and mouth adequately.

The primary benefit is not to breath out particles towards others. Filtering air being inspired by mask wearer is secondary.

We wear masks to protect others, others wearing masks will protect us.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Amber ji, really sad to hear that. My condolences.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Doctors on this thread will hopefully chime in and provide further details on why use HCQ.

Talking to a retired cardiologist in my circle, he thinks that the patient was young and from medical field so it may have been as a preventative after observing low virus load and monsoon with mosquitoes around. Also no reason to monitor heart with patient being young if hospitals can't spare devices.

Since March, I have been monitoring supply chains and there have been no significant change is what is really getting me upset. There needs to be very visible prosecutions and rules and regulations to maintain supply chains. Last mile chemists are also not helping and being business oriented. For example, selling chinese kn95 masks while telling buyers that they work as well as n95 from Indian brands. Chemists are not taking baton in their hands and govt not going after them and others in supply chain.

US like corporate structure is being implemented in big hospitals. I wonder how many US returned and educated are running this joints. This is just bad news from Indian perspective as US has nothing but vulture culture in hospitals.

Last line of defense is self care, common sense, community care, etc. Unfortunately today's know all crowd is all YouTube educated to challenge common sense at each step. Things are not normal if family's not allowed to see the dead and there are lines to cremate dead. Time to fall back to common sense which is still missing in action.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

amar_p wrote:It is not mandatory in France to wear only an N95 mask. Any mask is OK as long as it covers the nose and mouth adequately.

The primary benefit is not to breath out particles towards others. Filtering air being inspired by mask wearer is secondary.

We wear masks to protect others, others wearing masks will protect us.
I'm afraid that you have missed my point. It's nothing to do with everyone wearing n95 masks. Something that's not practical. My observations were strictly around a resourceful french politician being in India but choosing to wear what seems to be surgical mask. Something odd that I didn't see before and just got me curious.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

darshan ji,
There seems to be no special love for N95 in France. Govt recommends surgical masks or "anti-projections" masks for every day use. Filtering masks type FFP2 are recommended for health care workers and people doing activities with high risk of contamination.

official policy pdf

President Macron and other ministers, officials, have been seen wearing various types of masks. Sometimes with a small discreet "tricolore" French flag visible.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

@asgkhan

Very sorry to hear about your father. May he atttain moksha.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

a covid sick anaesthetist made it into news when he intubated another sick covid patient in ITU. This was months ago and he was celebrated as hero.
Story is from Surat , Gujarat.
This doctor apparently got infected with another heavy dose of virus on top of what he had resulting in rapid deterioration and needing prolonged ventilation and ECMO now.
He is being flown to Chennai for lungs transplant.
He should never have been allowed to do the procedure when he was sick himself!

https://twitter.com/doctorhitesh/status ... 20928?s=20
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Oxford vaccine trial resumes after a glitch (one case of transverse myelitis in UK)
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

It is now coming down to two group of people: have the opportunity to stay home or Not. People who are financially well off & no major health concerns can isolate themselves from the society. Use home delivery to meet the essential requirements.

The other group, who cannot afford to stay home, will most probably get infected. Then the older gen, who may have medical conditions, won't be able to find beds/doctors/nurses in hospital if their health deteriorates.

It has now boiled down to these two groups. By the time the vaccine arrives, the second group would have seen the worst..probably too late for the vaccine.

Fundamentally: you are on your own. The lockdown was required to delay the inevitable.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

asgkhan Ji, my condolences on the demise of your father. May he attain sadgati.

Ambar Ji, I suspect the young doctor died of torsade de pointes - a fatal arrhythmia due to prolongation of the QT interval which can happen with HCQ. It may also have been some other kind of fatal allergic reaction. The medication has been used in millions of patients in India for malaria and other illnesses, but of course anybody can have this reaction. So sad to read about this.

Here in New York, the schools opened this week. Last evening SHQ and I were driving past a busy shopping area, we saw large clusters of high-school students just hanging around the sidewalk in the pre-COVID manner, almost shoulder to shoulder, talking, laughing, touching each other. Not a single one had a mask on. There is going to be a second wave of the disease again, I am almost certain.

I also know that the majority of us are going to be infected eventually unless there is a vaccine that is effective enough. In the end the CFR may not be very high, but it is the uncertainty of who it kills that scares all of us. Yes, the people with vulnerabilities are at the highest risk, but unlike with the flu, even the young and healthy are not spared.

Given India's population density and other issues, I am quite worried. Just this week the entire family of my cousin sister got infected in Delhi. Leadership also matters and like in the US, COVID has become a political football everywhere.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Time To Get Tough On Covid Protection: Unlocking India Should Not Mean Unmasking India @TheJaggi
https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/time-to-g ... king-india via @swarajyamag
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

An interesting observation
https://youtu.be/8UvFhIFzaac

The guy has shared some papers on lockdown and its efficacy
In this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zg89tdgzkqnk ... QAUea?dl=0
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

IndraD wrote:Oxford vaccine trial resumes after a glitch (one case of transverse myelitis in UK)
Sir is this a side effect of the vaccine or a part of its mechanism which may not be tolerated by few individuals, how bad is this condition is it fatal ?
dhyana
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dhyana »

Small comment. I am in no way involved in this study, but do have general experience treating some of the possible (neurologic) complications of vaccines. One, I don't believe we are sure if the the patient who got this condition was given the vaccine or not. We are assuming the former, and possibly they unblinded the patient identity (remember, it's a double-blinded study; neither the docs nor the patients know if they are receiving the vaccine or placebo). And it's unclear if they actually publicized this vaccine/placebo fact or not- I don't believe they have. When you unblind before a study is completed, there is risk of introducing bias.

Second, usually one 'could' see some autoimmune complications, i.e., peripheral nerve (Guillane-Barre) or central nerve (transverse myelitis) system demyelination syndromes, in vaccines in the first month or two post vaccination. Typically, the incidence is rare (1 in million, etc.), but happens. Now, if there are multiple instances in the 10s of thousands of patients studied, then that would be a problem- because it may represent an unacceptably high complication rate. We would probably not know this until the conclusion of the study.

In the US, if the vaccine(s) show >= 50% efficacy and low complication rate several months into Phase 3 trials, then it/they will almost assuredly be given an FDA 'emergency use authorization' (EUA)- the proverbial green light to use. Mass manufacturing and administration would ensue. However, actual (official) FDA approval would be easily 1 year away- to look for even remote complications, long-term efficacy (durability), etc.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

One would have hoped that during lockdown all the preparations and arrangements were done and implemented to be prepared for uptick after the unlocks. But nope.
Appointment of Nodal officers to ensure smooth and sufficient oxygen supply in Ahmedabad
https://www.deshgujarat.com/2020/09/12/ ... ahmedabad/
Both these official will be in constant coordination with Dy Commissioner (Health ) and OSD Dr. Manish Bansal and do supervision and monitoring of entire oxygen supply chain including oxygen manufacturers, distributors, dealers and hospitals.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

@ashkhan ji Om Shanti!!
You have been through very trying times. May mother grace you with peace and calm!!
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Interesting angle:

‘Nudges’ from PM Modi were critical in India’s Covid battle: Cambridge study

The study used machine learning and AI-based algorithms to identify key nudges in policy responses across various government departments to deal with the pandemic, including the lockdown

Link to the original study (I havent gone thru it yet) : India nudges to contain COVID-19 pandemic: A reactive public policy analysis using machine-learning based topic modelling
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

amar_p wrote:Interesting angle:

‘Nudges’ from PM Modi were critical in India’s Covid battle: Cambridge study

The study used machine learning and AI-based algorithms to identify key nudges in policy responses across various government departments to deal with the pandemic, including the lockdown

Link to the original study (I havent gone thru it yet) : India nudges to contain COVID-19 pandemic: A reactive public policy analysis using machine-learning based topic modelling
pretty interesting ...

You know all this does comes from his experience with Indians or feel, his understanding of their psychology and how much he cares about Indians not some advice from any experts alone.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Heartbreaking read on textbook mismanagement and chalta hain attitude which doesn't seem to have changed 1 bit even after all this:
Rest in pieces: The rise and fall of CCC
Set up at a cost of Rs 11.55 cr in July, the covid care center at BIEC will breathe its last today.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

sum wrote:Heartbreaking read on textbook mismanagement and chalta hain attitude which doesn't seem to have changed 1 bit even after all this:
Set up at a cost of Rs 11.55 cr in July, the covid care center at BIEC will breathe its last today.
Per article, cases has spiked from 1500 a day when the center was opened to 3000 a day now. Why can't the center be used for more serious cases when we know that the ICU units are stretched dangerously across the country?

Is Bengaluru/Karnataka doing so well with the severe cases that they do not need this?

It seems a massive waste to set up such a center and not use or repurpose it when things are in such straits.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

I physically fell ill to my stomach when the headline came up.

I hope this does not mean India will have to wait until 2024. Those vaccines, even if developed outside, will be mass produced in India. I know that the US and some Euro nations have locked in millions of the initial batches. I hope it does not mean we will end up sending the shots overseas while the pandemic rages in India.

https://www.wionews.com/india-news/coro ... ief-327456
Coronavirus vaccine won’t be available to everyone before 2024 end: India's Serum Institute chief

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Sep 14, 2020, 04.50 PM(IST)

In a big blow to the expectations regarding the covid-19 vaccine, the Serum Institute of India has said adequate coronavirus vaccine will not be available for everybody in the world to be immunised until the end of 2024.

The chief executive of the world’s largest manufacturer of vaccines, Adar Poonawalla, has said dampened the hopes of a COVID-19 vaccine by year-end in an interview with the Financial Times. He said that pharma firms were not ramping up production capacity swiftly to be able to innoculate the world population in less duration.

“It’s going to take four to five years until everyone gets the vaccine on this planet,” Poonawalla was quoted as saying. He had earlier predicted that if the coronavirus shot is a two-dose vaccine, as is the case with measles or rotavirus, then the world would require 15 billion doses.

darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

While everyone focused on n95, there is also need to provide reusable masks to poor who can't get one that's of good efficiency.
Arvind – ACT Grants partner to produce 30 million masks in 12 months
https://www.deshgujarat.com/2020/09/15/ ... 12-months/
Bengaluru, September 15, 2020:Arvind Limited and ACT Grants have partnered to produce 30 million N95 masks in the next 12 months. Arvind Limited has received a grant of INR 100 million from ACT Grants, the non-profit coalition of VC funds and start-up founders, and will employ its manufacturing expertise on Medical Products and Working Capital to create a large, integrated facility for N95 mask production and distribution. Through this partnership, Arvind and ACT Grants will jointly donate 9 million masks over the next year to charitable institutions, government bodies, and other organisations, focusing on medical and non-medical professionals with the highest risk of contracting the virus.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/news/pitt ... ating-sars
Pitt Scientists Discover Tiny Antibody Component That is Highly Effective in Preventing and Treating SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Animal Models
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine scientists have isolated the smallest biological molecule to date that completely and specifically neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which is the cause of COVID-19. This antibody component, which is 10 times smaller than a full-sized antibody, has been used to construct a drug—known as Ab8—for potential use as a therapeutic and prophylactic against SARS-CoV-2.

The researchers report today in the journal Cell that Ab8 is highly effective in preventing and treating SARS-CoV-2 infection in mice and hamsters. Its tiny size not only increases its potential for diffusion in tissues to better neutralize the virus, but also makes it possible to administer the drug by alternative routes, including inhalation. Importantly, it does not bind to human cells—a good sign that it won’t have negative side-effects in people.
https://www.foxnews.com/health/universi ... oronavirus
University of Pittsburgh scientists discover antibody that 'neutralizes' virus that causes COVID-19
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

chola wrote:
sum wrote:Heartbreaking read on textbook mismanagement and chalta hain attitude which doesn't seem to have changed 1 bit even after all this:
Per article, cases has spiked from 1500 a day when the center was opened to 3000 a day now. Why can't the center be used for more serious cases when we know that the ICU units are stretched dangerously across the country?

Is Bengaluru/Karnataka doing so well with the severe cases that they do not need this?

It seems a massive waste to set up such a center and not use or repurpose it when things are in such straits.
Should tell you how well the govts have stepped up in this matter( greed and apathy of the ground level folks is a equal factor) despite all the time lead and early warnings. I am actually glad that more people weren't being forced to that place which would have made sub-Saharan Africa look good.
Never go by all the glossy headlines and back-patting numbers being thrown around as they are meaningless

ICU shortage crisis getting worse; man turned away by hospital dies
And this is Bluru. Can imagine the condition of any other city/state ( this state after 6 months of the pandemic now. Its not even a sudden localised surge)
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Masks, immunity boosters, healthy lifestyle and real fear only seem to be the way to go from now on. Ayurveda and common sense to the rescue. I have made a point of not caring about dead who didn't take this seriously, encouraged or participated in break the boredom get togethers.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

sum wrote:
chola wrote:

Should tell you how well the govts have stepped up in this matter( greed and apathy of the ground level folks is a equal factor) despite all the time lead and early warnings. I am actually glad that more people weren't being forced to that place which would have made sub-Saharan Africa look good.
Never go by all the glossy headlines and back-patting numbers being thrown around as they are meaningless

ICU shortage crisis getting worse; man turned away by hospital dies
And this is Bluru. Can imagine the condition of any other city/state ( this state after 6 months of the pandemic now. Its not even a sudden localised surge)

Is this really sub-Saharan? They cannot salvage this center, maybe halve the beds? People are dying from ICU shortage and this thing is half-way there. I think there are places in the world that are doing with a lot less than the CCC.

The numbers are going up, so to throw this all away now is unconsionable.

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Chola saar, the initial photo-op isnt the issue . Am sure it looks like a wonderland

The issues are:
Leaky roofs ( temporary tin stuff not properly renovated and unable to cope with heavy rains this year), zero connectivity, no water connection to the place, no cleanliness protocols followed, no food sources ( sub-standard food provided by the center and complete dont care attitude of the staff) and zero info provided by the doctors there on phone( the relatives have to trudge 40-50 kms just to get basic queries answered)

One can imagine that even with 3K/cases per day, they are finding no one willing to go to that center since reputation is so poor.

Anyways, all that is past as everything has been scrapped and the only guys who made anything out of it were the BBMP engineers who tendered for it and the contractors who made a good pile.

Such a golden chance to show that we could pull everything together and achieve it. We even started on this CCC and threw it away halfway for lack of commitment
Instead, back to square 1 after 6 months of pandemic and usual reports of ICU shortages/people dying shuttling hospitals etc
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Not sure if I'm in agreement with this. Small businesses should be allowed to operate. Govt should be focused on making citizen responsible and educating them to wear masks and maintain distance. Citizens have already given more than enough time for govt to be prepared with protocols to get things up and running.

Over 1100 tea stalls shut as part of AMC drive

https://www.deshgujarat.com/2020/09/16/ ... amc-drive/
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Russia seeks India help for Sputnik Phase 3 trials, manufacture
As first reported by The Indian Express on Monday, the Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology has submitted “comprehensive data” on the vaccine's safety and efficacy to Indian authorities.
https://indianexpress.com/article/india ... e-6588652/
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Ru to sell 100 million vaccines Sputnik V to India on no profit basis if India allows Phase III trial of theirs : Dr Reddys lab in foray https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... t%20abroad.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... xford-says

One case of transverse myelitis was unlikely due to Oxford vaccine: Phase III trial resumes across world
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

^^^Blomberg has a crazy number about India. 173,932 new cases. Looks like they added 14 th (83809) and 15th (90123) to come up with that figure.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

I had posted another article about this some time back. Shows us why masking should be mandatory.

Facial Masking for Covid-19 — Potential for “Variolation” as We Await a Vaccine

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913
If the viral inoculum matters in determining the severity of SARS-CoV-2 infection, an additional hypothesized reason for wearing facial masks would be to reduce the viral inoculum to which the wearer is exposed and the subsequent clinical impact of the disease. Since masks can filter out some virus-containing droplets (with filtering capacity determined by mask type),2 masking might reduce the inoculum that an exposed person inhales. If this theory bears out, population-wide masking, with any type of mask that increases acceptability and adherence,2 might contribute to increasing the proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infections that are asymptomatic. The typical rate of asymptomatic infection with SARS-CoV-2 was estimated to be 40% by the CDC in mid-July, but asymptomatic infection rates are reported to be higher than 80% in settings with universal facial masking, which provides observational evidence for this hypothesis. Countries that have adopted population-wide masking have fared better in terms of rates of severe Covid-related illnesses and death, which, in environments with limited testing, suggests a shift from symptomatic to asymptomatic infections. Another experiment in the Syrian hamster model simulated surgical masking of the animals and showed that with simulated masking, hamsters were less likely to get infected, and if they did get infected, they either were asymptomatic or had milder symptoms than unmasked hamsters.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Today I was watching CDC Direector Dr Robert Redfield before the House committee. He actually said what will protect him is the mask and NOT the vaccine. It did not go well with our know all great leader Trump who said Dr Redfield did not understand the question and is all confused.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

saip wrote:^^^Blomberg has a crazy number about India. 173,932 new cases. Looks like they added 14 th (83809) and 15th (90123) to come up with that figure.
16th is another record:
With record 97,894 new infections, India's Covid-19 tally crosses 51-lakh mark
Nearly 270k cases in 3 days ( and these are just reported numbers)!!! :eek:
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

sum wrote:
saip wrote:^^^Blomberg has a crazy number about India. 173,932 new cases. Looks like they added 14 th (83809) and 15th (90123) to come up with that figure.
16th is another record:
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 576774.ece
In May, India potentially had 6.4 million COVID-19 infections and for every confirmed case there were 82-130 infections that went undetected, according to the results of the first sero-survey conducted by over 50 scientists of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and other institutions.
so very easily India is having a million infection in a day , there is a reason why from Ru to Oxford want India as playground for phase 3 trial.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

IndraD wrote:
sum wrote: 16th is another record:
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 576774.ece
In May, India potentially had 6.4 million COVID-19 infections and for every confirmed case there were 82-130 infections that went undetected, according to the results of the first sero-survey conducted by over 50 scientists of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and other institutions.
so very easily India is having a million infection in a day , there is a reason why from Ru to Oxford want India as playground for phase 3 trial.
With such a huge population the numbers will
inevitably be large. It will grow along with unlock phases. There is no getting around this. Each unlock means renewed avenues for spread. Look, this is happening even in Europe who had things under control until end of summer and with school starting.

The critical fight comes after full opening of the economy with all transportations, eateries and entertainment venues back in business. At that point, the population needs to keep masks on, hands clean and social distancing in mind. There can be no government intervention anymore if we want the economy to come back. The spread must peak after full unlock and then come down there after. It all depends on the general population to protect one another with life style and attitude changes. Otherwise, there is nothing to be done until a vaccine.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Sputnik V vaccine: 1 in 7 have side effects according to Ru health min.
These side effects are generally mild and limited to rise in temp, soreness, muscle aches that wears off in 24 hrs .
How ever Phase 1 & 2 trials of this vaccine was done on healthy young age group which means phase 3 is needed

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/lif ... d=78164728