VayuSena Rafale: News and Discussions - 17 Oct 2016

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
pandyan
BRFite

Re: VayuSena Rafale: News and Discussions - 17 Oct 2016

Post by pandyan »

HVT Sir's post

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/1320558045621972992
Frankly, quite tired of previous generations having left Indian Aerospace industry in a mess.

Enough imports slavery. Spend some serious effort of Indian developments. Not lip service. Not stand on the fence & wait for Ind R&D to fail. Contribute, not comment.

Happy #Dussehra
https://twitter.com/MjaVinod/status/1320727066413727745
100% in agreement. At the cost of repetition I say this, shifting of goal post in the past has been one of the reason for delay in #LCA
Hope #AMCA #Tejas2 is supported to the hilt
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Rakesh wrote: Saar, why are you taking takleef over an article that is riddled with errors? Why? :)
Because that is what I am hearing from all chaiwallahs and pan wallahs.
Apart from the delivery schedule, please tell me how the article is sound? You are a senior poster, so read that article again please and tell me what how and what that reporter is stating is going to be possible?
Come now Admiral. My stand has been consistent. Develop your own weapons - that is the only safety for India. Take pride in your own development and it will stand you in good stead. Avoid mistakes like the Jaguar and perhaps in 20 years we will be saying the same for Rafale. The MKI provides a comprehensive platform in addition to the LCA. IAF should enhance the potential of the MKIs. And IAF should buy used M2Ks if feasible (airframe life, cost, LCCA etc.)
With Safran failing to revive the Kaveri, they are probably looking at a MRO facility for the M88 turbofan...to fulfill their offset obligations. The reporter heard something along those lines and then added his own masala to it.
Why would ANYONE expect to receive engine tech for say even $25B on a platter is hard for me to understand. Indians really are naive.
P.S. I have some "takleef" news for you in the MMRCA thread :)
That is one thread I don't waste much time on. A more appropriate title would be Intellectual Masturbation (as Hakeem ji would put it).
But take heart, it is only a news report. Nothing confirmed. Don't get despondent.
This one has wings. And one crash of the LCA (in 20-21 years) and the whole lot will be discarded.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Vivek K wrote:
Rakesh wrote: Saar, why are you taking takleef over an article that is riddled with errors? Why? :)
Because that is what I am hearing from all chaiwallahs and pan wallahs.
Please take this in the right spirit. Your chaiwallahs and pan wallahs are playing with your mind. If you act despondent in person, in the manner you display on the forum, anyone will do it to you...just to get a kick out of watching you do rona-dhona in person. Read the article again and *THINK* if what that reporter is stating will be plausible.
Vivek K wrote:
Rakesh wrote:Apart from the delivery schedule, please tell me how the article is sound? You are a senior poster, so read that article again please and tell me what how and what that reporter is stating is going to be possible?
Come now Admiral. My stand has been consistent. Develop your own weapons - that is the only safety for India. Take pride in your own development and it will stand you in good stead. Avoid mistakes like the Jaguar and perhaps in 20 years we will be saying the same for Rafale. The MKI provides a comprehensive platform in addition to the LCA. IAF should enhance the potential of the MKIs. And IAF should buy used M2Ks if feasible (airframe life, cost, LCCA etc.)
My issue lies not with your stand, but rather you extrapolating scenarios from an article that is deeply flawed in logic.
Vivek K wrote:
Rakesh wrote:With Safran failing to revive the Kaveri, they are probably looking at a MRO facility for the M88 turbofan...to fulfill their offset obligations. The reporter heard something along those lines and then added his own masala to it.
Why would ANYONE expect to receive engine tech for say even $25B on a platter is hard for me to understand. Indians really are naive.
So you have come to the conclusion that the article is indeed incorrect? Welcome to reality.
Vivek K wrote:
Rakesh wrote:P.S. I have some "takleef" news for you in the MMRCA thread :)
That is one thread I don't waste much time on. A more appropriate title would be Intellectual Masturbation (as Hakeem ji would put it).
:lol:
Vivek K wrote:
Rakesh wrote:But take heart, it is only a news report. Nothing confirmed. Don't get despondent.
This one has wings. And one crash of the LCA (in 20-21 years) and the whole lot will be discarded.
Has the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard retired the HAL Dhruv because of the crashes it endured in service?

Come on man, get real.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/bishwa55900127/stat ... 76256?s=20 ---> IAF Rafale expected arrival schedule.

July 29, 2020: 5 (arrived)
Nov 5, 2020: 3 (direct non-stop flight from France)
Jan 2021: 3
Mar 2021: 3
Apr 2021: 7

This will be 21 jets.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

tsarkar wrote: Absolutely. Its very simple to comprehend if you think logically and reasonably. The Mi-25/35 with 1000's produced and operated has a well established support base. So even numbers as low as 10 can be maintained and supported.

Same with most of the major MMRCA contenders. F-16 for example with 1000's flying. So neither maintenance nor logistics will be any problem
Replied here to avoid going off topic for this thread
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/VishalJolapara/stat ... 94944?s=20 ---> Bas theek hai! Towbar attached, let's take her in.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Does that ladder extend to the ground? It appears to be a proprietary type of ladder which has pin/hook connections which could subject the airframe to damage if improperly attached with excess loads. I could imagine an electronics technician servicing the avionics carrying heavy equipment who inadvertently damages the aircraft.
Last edited by Mort Walker on 03 Nov 2020 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Specific to the aircraft and tested. No worries there. See pictures below of French Air Force Rafales....same ladder type.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^If I saw that, no matter how good an aircraft, I would have rejected it. Seems convoluted and gives an insight to the designers. Like a Ferrari - fast, but a maintenance nightmare.

Rafale specific ladders? will it work on any other combat aircraft like the Mirage 2000 and Shaguar? God knows what else is specific.
Last edited by Mort Walker on 03 Nov 2020 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^Does that ladder extend to the ground? It appears to be a proprietary type of ladder which has pin/hook connections which could subject the airframe to damage if improperly attached with excess loads. I could imagine an electronics technician servicing the avionics carrying heavy equipment who inadvertently damages the aircraft.
There is usually a fair bit of standardization with boarding ladders. I assume Rafale will be compatible with what was used on the M2K. Improper use can damage certain sensitive areas but it is mostly a nuisance than a major concern. One of the learnings from the F-22A program was the damage to RAM/RAS with improper ladder emplacement particularly because there were some sensitive electronics which also needed to be checked in case there was ladder induced damage. On the F-35 they just did away with it and and integrated a ladder into the airframe itself. I assume the Rafale, with its naval fighter design goal, would be more immune to ladder rash etc then compared to M2K it replace..

Last edited by brar_w on 03 Nov 2020 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Mort-ji, come on! :lol:

Like these ladders, also suspended in mid-air...just hanging off the airframe?

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Which is why I would reject the F-15 and F-16. ;)

At least the F-35 ladder is internal, so you don't have to go running around trying to find the right ladder. What if the IAF techs brought a Mig-29 ladder by mistake? :lol:
Last edited by Mort Walker on 03 Nov 2020 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Mort Saar, should the IAF also reject the Tejas...because the ladder for the Tejas is also just hanging off the airframe? :lol:

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^That is is a super sturdy Indian ladder meant to carry idli-dosa-sambar to pilot between sorties.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

brar_w wrote:I assume the Rafale, with its naval fighter design goal, would be more immune to ladder rash etc then compared to M2K it replace..
Rafale M uses a ladder from within the airframe, like the F-35....

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^That is is a super sturdy Indian ladder meant to carry idli-dosa-sambar to pilot between sorties.
Now you are just being silly. Can we move on? :lol:
Mort Walker wrote:At least the F-35 ladder is internal, so you don't have to go running around trying to find the right ladder. What if the IAF techs brought a Mig-29 ladder by mistake? :lol:
That mistake cannot happen. With your experience, you should know that is not possible :)
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Rakesh wrote:Rafale M uses a ladder from within the airframe, like the F-35....
Interesting choice of a retractable ladder but a non-retractable refueling probe ;). I am sure this will not be repeated on the SCAF/FCAS.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

indeed :)
RajaRudra
BRFite

Post by RajaRudra »

https://twitter.com/IAF_MCC/status/1324010303844048899

Indian Air Force
@IAF_MCC
Second batch of IAF #Rafale aircraft arrived in India at 8:14 pm on 04 Nov 20 after flying non-stop from France.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Second batch of IAF #Rafale aircraft arrived in India at 8:14 pm on 04 Nov 20 after flying non-stop from France.
Holy kanoli, Batman! Non-stop from France? That's a LONG flight.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Roop wrote:Holy kanoli, Batman! Non-stop from France? That's a LONG flight.
Long flight indeed with multiple in-flight refuelings from a French Air Force tanker. Three aircraft took off from Istres airbase in France to Jamnagar airport in Gujarat. One day stop over at Jamnagar and then directly to Ambala AFS in Punjab. Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me, but some of the pilots appear to be the same who flew in the first batch.

Three more are coming in Jan 2021, three more in March 2021 and seven in April 2021. That will be 21 aircraft by April 2021. 18 examples will go to No 17 Golden Arrows Squadron and I am assuming the remaining three will form the nucleus of the second Rafale squadron (No 101 Falcons) at Hasimara in West Bengal. The remaining 15 aircraft of No 101 Squadron will arrive by April 2022, with tail number RB008 being the last to arrive. RB008 is the ISE specific Rafale undergoing flight testing and certification in France.

The ISE updates on the remaining 35 Rafales will be complete by Sept 2022 in India itself.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

From the official IAF twitter account....

https://twitter.com/IAF_MCC/status/1324 ... 00033?s=20 ---> IAF deeply appreciates the tanker support extended by French Air Force for the direct ferry by second batch of IAF Rafales.

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

From the LCA video above, at 5:07 what are the two red locks on the instrument console for? Who keeps the keys?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Cyrano wrote:From the LCA video above, at 5:07 what are the two red locks on the instrument console for? Who keeps the keys?
You can see this from this picture: These appear to be safety lockouts. At around 4:35 onwards you can see the ACM installing the lockouts after landing. It is most likely part of the procedure after landing and before normal egress.

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Roop wrote:
Holy kanoli, Batman! Non-stop from France? That's a LONG flight.
Impressive indeed but iirc the Russians did something similar with the mig35 since years ago for aero India or the trials.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Thanks Mort. Perhaps they disable the ejection seat etc? Or deactivate all controls as well ?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I suspect it has something to do with the avionics and accidentally removing it while power is applied. I’m not sure until we see better pictures.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Can be for the WCS, apart from the avionics as well.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

I strongly suspect this is a clever move to increase indigenous content of LCA - Naa koi darr...Naa ghotala...Jab laga ho Harrison Taala ;-)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheWolfpackIN/statu ... 83680?s=20 ---> Activities IAF's Rafales will carry out in near future [if not already done] to develop various TTPs:-

- Firing of Meteor AAM, Scalp ALCM, Hammer AASM at weapons range

- DACT exercises with TACDE & other IAF units

- "Fine tuning" of Spectra at IAFs own EW range in Maharajpur
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/ReviewVayu/status/1 ... 59298?s=20 ---> JUST IN from Dassault & Safran--- & therefore potentially great news for the IAF. First separation tests of Safran's 1000 kg AASM Hammer air-to-ground weapon on Rafale a success. The 1st live firing test to be conducted in 2021 for final qualification of 1000 kg AASM.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/AbhishekMatiman/sta ... 97633?s=20 ---> Heard that Balakot Terror Training Camp reactivated by Pakistan. Just in time to be HAMMERED by the IAF then I guess.

‘Bunker buster’ for Rafale: Fighter tests 1,000kg version of HAMMER missile
https://www.theweek.in/news/sci-tech/20 ... ssile.html
12 Dec 2020

A Rafale flying with three 1,000 kg AASM HAMMER weapons

wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

Rafale’s deep-strike cruise missile gets an upgrade for targets in mountains
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... QBKhK.html
The Indian Air Force (IAF) has got the French manufacturer to re-calibrate the software of Rafale fighter jet’s SCALP long-range air-launched cruise missile to ensure that the subsonic weapon hits targets up to 4,000 metres above sea level. The subsonic missile with a range in excess of 300 kilometres and a 450-kilogramme warhead is part of the weapon suite on Rafale Omni-role fighter of the IAF.

In simple terms, it means that the IAF’s Rafale can demolish targets located in mountains and high plateaus at 4,000 metres instead of the previous calibration of 2,000 metres. The tweaking of the software has been done by the missile manufacturer MBDA in consultation with the top brass of IAF.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheWolfpackIN/statu ... 58688?s=20 ---> IAF & French ADA Rafales to carry out SKYROS aerial warfare exercise in Jodhpur in January. Rafales and Su-30MKI of Indian Air Force will participate along with French Rafales. EW assets & AWACs will also join in.

https://twitter.com/Thunder07101/status ... 27392?s=20 ---> Three more Rafales will reach India in January to become part of No 17 Golden Arrows Squadron at Ambala AFS taking the total to 11.

https://twitter.com/EnemySlayer24_7/sta ... 56033?s=20 ---> If all thing goes as planned India to have 21 Rafale till April 2021. Delivery Schedule: Jan - 3, March - 3 and April - 7.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

Rafale towed decoy . Weight 67 kg. Can be carried by MWF also on outer wing pylon just like in Rafale.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheWolfpackI ... 60/photo/1

X-Guard Fibre Optic Towed Decoys onboard Indian Rafales fighters

arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

sankum wrote:Rafale towed decoy . Weight 67 kg. Can be carried by MWF also on outer wing pylon just like in Rafale.

X-Guard Fibre Optic Towed Decoys onboard Indian Rafales fighters
While X-gaurd can be deployed on Rafale, for MWF and rest of our fleet it would be worthwhile to develop own towed and expendable decoys.
Bits and pieces of what makes X-gaurd are scattered in many existing DRDO products.
E.g Mareech is a fibre optic Torpedo decoy system . We have ECM and jammers on existing aircraft. By combining the fiber-optic component of former and ECM of latter we can have X-gaurd of our own.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheWolfpackIN/statu ... 26146?s=20 ---> IAF was the fastest among all Rafale operators to pitch the jets in an international exercise (just 6 months after Rafales arrived in India). Whereas Qatar took 18 months and Egypt is yet to pitch them in an international exercise.

https://twitter.com/TheWolfpackIN/statu ... 03616?s=20 ---> Shows a lot about how rapidly IAF is operationalizing the Rafales.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks what are the first level, second level spares for the Rafale?

The first level are those spares that can be swapped at the airbase by the IAF maintenance crew.
Second level spares are those at Base Repair Depots.
Third level spare are those that need aircraft manufacturer.

Point is in case of hostilities IAF needs to stock the first and second level spares for the duration.

Thanks for digging the info.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Ramana-ji, in the contract it is stipulated that 75% of the fleet has to be available at any given time. So out of 36 aircraft in total, 27 have to be air worthy at all times. However, there is a time period for this "75% fleet availability" and it was reported in the media. I just cannot seem to find it now. I believe the PBL is not for the entire duration of the aircraft's service (40+ years) in the IAF, but only for a limited period of time. After that, a new PBL contract will have to be negotiated.

What is so special about Rafale fighter jet? Here's the lowdown
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 072353.cms
21 July 2018
75 % availability: French side will ensure that at any given point, at least 75 percent of the fleet is combat worthy. Failing which, heavy penalities to be invoked.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I want to go below the line into the nitty gritty. So lets see.