Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:Ca+2 influx is important/critical to many cellular functions include clonal expansion/immune activation, EDTA is a chelator of divalent metal cations, the local availability of Ca+2 may be restricted at a certain local EDTA concentration. EDTA is used in vaccine formulations.
You got me there. Greek and Latin and double dutch to me. :oops:
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Sorry, it's not difficult, just need familiarity with the field.

A good poem is probably much more demanding of intellect than this.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

How a British COVID-19 vaccine went from pole position to troubled start
The half-dose regimen wasn’t tested on anyone over 55 — the group considered at high risk from COVID-19.

Ultimately, 1,367 trial participants — none of them over 55 — received the half-dose/full-dose regimen. Two full doses were given to 4,440 adult participants, from all age groups.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Many news papers are reporting -- And India May be the first country to give EUA to Oxford vaccine.
Oxford vaccine may get nod in a few days

From Forbes: U.K., India May Approve Cheaper Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 Vaccine As Soon As Next Week
The 95% efficacy is quite a huge news.
US may also get another 300 million doses of this vaccine in near future - once it gets EUA.

(I am being told that India has a capacity/infrastructure/stockpile_etc and can deliver up to 300 million vaccines in a fairly short time of few months - that will be really impressive)
Last edited by Amber G. on 28 Dec 2020 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Vayutuvan: Wrt to low dose vs full dose - what some experts say - described in simpler terms:

One way to explain is the immune system’s response to the chimpanzee virus. The vaccine triggers a reaction not only to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, but also to components of the viral vector. It’s possible that the full first dose blunted this reaction

By giving a half-dose first, it is possible that AstraZeneca got the "right dosing".
Some, who have worked with this type of vaccine do say that they are not surprised and have see this before in their lab/studies.

(Also a low first dose can lead to better protection than a high first dose because a lower first dose leads more quickly to the establishment of ‘memory’ immune cells that are triggered by a second-dose boost. -- Waiting longer between the two doses could achieve the same effect per them - as they have seen such results - Remember people have worked with this type of vector vaccine)..

To me what is important, is the data seem pretty good. (This view is shared by people who I respect).
(Another aspect - "this (low dose) has not been "tested" in xyz condition" is not really that significant - As I said before it is not a safety issue).
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

The Oxford vaccine news states that it is 100% successful at preventing hospitalization. That would reduce Covid-19 to something like the common cold at worst, post vaccination. Anyone who was vaccinated could resume normal activities without having to worry about serious disease.

Do the other vaccines have similar behavior?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Short answer yes. Moderna's figures (efficacy for "severe illness) is close to 100%. and similarly very high for Pfizer...For AZ reportedly "not a single severe case was found"
The data is currently being evaluated by Britain’s independent medicines regulator, provides “100 percent protection” against severe COVID disease requiring hospitalization.
(In any case 95% or even 90% is nothing to sneeze at - in fact is is much better than anyone expected 6 months ago)
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Amber G. wrote:Vayutuvan: Wrt to low dose vs full dose - what some experts say - described in simpler terms:

One way to explain is the immune system’s response to the chimpanzee virus. The vaccine triggers a reaction not only to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, but also to components of the viral vector. It’s possible that the full first dose blunted this reaction

By giving a half-dose first, it is possible that AstraZeneca got the "right dosing".
Some, who have worked with this type of vaccine do say that they are not surprised and have see this before in their lab/studies.

(Also a low first dose can lead to better protection than a high first dose because a lower first dose leads more quickly to the establishment of ‘memory’ immune cells that are triggered by a second-dose boost. -- Waiting longer between the two doses could achieve the same effect per them - as they have seen such results - Remember people have worked with this type of vector vaccine)..

To me what is important, is the data seem pretty good. (This view is shared by people who I respect).
(Another aspect - "this (low dose) has not been "tested" in xyz condition" is not really that significant - As I said before it is not a safety issue).
It is important from the point of view of what dosage ends up getting actually used in the end. There was an article in the news recently that India will most likely not approve low/high dosage as AZ has not gone through the trials with this regiment. If true, then it is not appropriate to use the data from low/high or even the average when communicating the level of protection offered by it. However, it is heartening to hear that even with high/high dosage there is a sharp drop in hospitalization.

Anyways, we need more data from AZ and quickly.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Vayutuvan wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Ca+2 influx is important/critical to many cellular functions include clonal expansion/immune activation, EDTA is a chelator of divalent metal cations, the local availability of Ca+2 may be restricted at a certain local EDTA concentration. EDTA is used in vaccine formulations.
You got me there. Greek and Latin and double dutch to me. :oops:
Translation: Calcium ions (Ca 2+) are critical for some celluar functions in human body. The chemical EDTA which is used in vaccine formuations, tends to attract and bond Calcium ions thus reducing their *local* availability for certain concentrations of EDTA (which can cause issues).
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/covi ... 201228.htm
The two-day end-to-end dry run was being carried out in Krishna district in Andhra Pradesh, in Rajkot and Gandhinagar in Gujarat, Ludhiana and Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) in Punjab and Sonitpur and Nalbari districts in Assam.

It is being conducted to test the laid out mechanisms for COVID-19 vaccination in the states and provide insights into any gaps to be addressed before the commencement of the actual vaccination drive, according to officials.

They said said the exercise tested the functionality of Co-WIN, which is an online platform for monitoring the delivery of COVID-19 vaccine, deployment of team members, checking cold storage, transportation arrangements and other arrangements while following all necessary protocols.

Krishna district Collector A Md Imtiyaz, who inaugurated the dry run at the urban primary health centre at Prakash Nagar in Vijayawada, said 'the (dummy) vaccine was transported from the central storage facility to cold chain points at various places'.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

...There was an article in the news recently that India will most likely not approve low/high dosage as AZ has not gone through the trials with this regiment. If true,
Nth time: - it is not helpful, indeed it is some what wrong (IMO)) to keep repeating such "news"/rumors ..In any case low/high dose regiment is going to be approved by GoI in a short time - per *all* reputable reports.
(I am not clear about USA - (from what I know, last time they wanted more data from further trials) - but for UK and India the EUA may come within days after the recent submission of further data)

True, initial results were, some what "confusing" and needed to be examined but this has been done looking at further data. Here is ToI item from today:
Covid-19: Oxford vaccine may get nod in a few days
India is likely to see the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine approved for EUA.. as ..data submitted by Serum Institute of India (SII) appears satisfactory...
To be clear: It is true that although the correct dosing was discovered due to "error" but the whole process, is of course, not some work done "blindly" - The work is based on solid science and data and hence the confidence and all this excitement.

It seems that the lower first dose did a better job of mimicking the experience of an infection, promoting a stronger immune response when the second dose was administered. (See my earlier post - and Nature article for more details)

The real question, some of us (scientists) wonder -because the vaccine is so new, researchers don’t know how long its protection might last. It’s possible that in the months after vaccination, the number of antibodies and killer T cells will drop. But the immune system also contains special cells called memory B cells and memory T cells that might retain information about the coronavirus for years or even decades. But as they say, if it buys us time (and even if booster shots are required later) it is quite good.

Let me add a link to a recent nice popular article from NY times which gives a fairly good background.
Oxford-AstraZeneca Vaccine
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Various newspapers are reporting that UK is going to approve the Oxford vaccine this Thursday and preparing for a major rollout of the Oxford vaccine from January 4.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

SriKumar wrote:Translation: Calcium ions (Ca 2+) are critical for some celluar functions in human body. The chemical EDTA which is used in vaccine formuations, tends to attract and bond Calcium ions thus reducing their *local* availability for certain concentrations of EDTA (which can cause issues).
That is certainly helpful. Even padyams in Andhramahabharatam (written in my mother tongue Telugu) require pratipadaartham and taatparyam for me to understand. :mrgreen:
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... mailonline Cashing in on COVID: Pandemic turns 50 doctors and scientists into BILLIONAIRES - with more than half hailing from China, Forbes reveals
list doesn't include Prof Karoke who decoded mRNA vaccine

43. Rajendra Agarwal, of India - Net worth: $1.3billion

44. Banwarilal Bawri, of India - Net worth: $1.3billion
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Amber G. wrote: Nth time: - it is not helpful, indeed it is some what wrong (IMO)) to keep repeating such "news"/rumors ..In any case low/high dose regiment is going to be approved by GoI in a short time - per *all* reputable reports.
Did you even read the TOI news report in full? Scroll down to where it says the following, "In India, the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) is likely to approve the vaccine only in two full doses".

I am happy to be wrong about it though.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

In another major news -Next US Vaccine Novavax began Phase 3 Trial. KEY difference: While Moderna/Pfizer deliver genetic material (mRNA) that our cells subsequently turn into Spike protein, Novavax delivers the Spike protein directly. (This is done by taking the Spike DNA and splicing it into a larger piece of DNA that is used to deliver genes into cells that are growing in a lab. Those cells "read" the DNA, turn it into RNA, and then into proteins. The Spike proteins are then harvested and purified. Spike proteins are mixed with the delivery vehicle: synthetic particles, or "nanoparticles" that are about the size of the virus. Nanoparticles get studded with a bunch of Spike proteins. Those Spike proteins train and boost our immune system).

Link: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... cine-opens
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Raja wrote: .. Scroll down to where it says the following, "In India, the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) is likely to approve the vaccine only in two full doses".

I am happy to be wrong about it though.
No, I missed that. (I was just mentioning that the news is now being covered by many mainstream papers as the headline came in google news - this was by *no means* source of what I was reporting or - even something I normally read). In any case, I am fairly confident that whatever ToI thinks "CDSCO is "likely to do" does not matter much. India does have competent scientists and they are going to do the right thing. They are going to make decision given by the data and science. ( the updated data has gotten to them only recently).

And BTW DCGI (Drugs Controller General of India) "approves" these EUA . ( Not CDSCO or ToI :) )
Last edited by Amber G. on 29 Dec 2020 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Sure, let's wait and see. I don't have as much confidence as you, but more than happy to be wrong. I have skin in the game as I have already lost some family members to COVID in India. So, fingers crossed.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

I don’t have a firsthand knowledge / talked with a direct source but there is a lot of chatter that a California group has uncovered a new UK SARSCoV2 variant in US. Not published/officially reported yet but I think as public has a right to know about more infectiously transmissible variants as soon as possible, so if verified, I hope they report is soon rather waiting for publishing (and doing diligent checking).

California, especially southern California, is quite bad.. ICU's are reaching near 100% capacity --Most doctors, by now has (or will soon get) gotten vaccines (including Moderna ) though.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Everything around AstraZeneca vaccine is *bizarre* and *strangely suspicious*. It is bizarre because very large publicly listed companies like AstraZeneca are very careful about messaging, especially about its reputation when the entire world is tracking companies' vaccine developments. Yes, creating a new vaccine with right dosage amount can be more than rocket science. I'm sure ICMR has its own protocol and data verification, but whenever there is UK involved, "trust but double verify". For AstraZeneca, it begins with confusing dosage experiments, mixed messages on the outcome of the results, lack of publication of data. They appear to be not targeting there vaccine for the European market, why?? I hope that there is no wicked plan of facilitating an approval in India and thereby using mass vaccination effort in India as "trial phase 4"...

AstraZeneca vaccine not ready for quick European approval, watchdog official says
“They have not even filed an application with us yet”, Wathion said in an interview with Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad published on Tuesday.
“Not even enough to warrant a conditional marketing licence”, he said. “We need additional data about the quality of the vaccine. And after that, the company has to formally apply.”
Last edited by chanakyaa on 29 Dec 2020 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Apparently, so far there have been 6 cases of newer strain of Covid detected in India (mostly all 6 are UK returnees I think) & 3 of them are in Karnataka. Why the hell is UK not imposing a travel ban on its citizens? As usual, many of the returnees at the airport are providing incorrect addresses & telephone/mobile numbers making tracing challenging. Unless there are very serious side effects from the vaccines, Indians will get it or have to get it...I know some of the more accurate & reliable models are predicting very low number of cases in India by March, but not sure if they considered or accounted this new super infectious strain.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ToI writers/editors do not disappoint with their idiocy and prejudices. ( One still sees occasional articles about India's covid efforts just in the lens of Islamaphobic/blame on it's minority). Any way just to take one small point...
They appear to be not targeting there vaccine for the European market, why??
They could have checked out my post (<just a few posts above>) in brf (and could easily verify) that EU market has 400 million doses commitment/preordered !
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

FWIW: Sharing a recent press briefing where none other than Dr Vijay Ragavan (Modi's principal scientific adviser) is saying that he is confident that "the vaccine in the pipe line" will work with newer strains of UK .
Image ]
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

Amber G. wrote:I don’t have a firsthand knowledge / talked with a direct source but there is a lot of chatter that a California group has uncovered a new UK SARSCoV2 variant in US. Not published/officially reported yet but I think as public has a right to know about more infectiously transmissible variants as soon as possible, so if verified, I hope they report is soon rather waiting for publishing (and doing diligent checking).

California, especially southern California, is quite bad.. ICU's are reaching near 100% capacity --Most doctors, by now has (or will soon get) gotten vaccines (including Moderna ) though.
It'd be news if California, or any populated area in thr world that has a decent outbreak, doesn't have the UK variant. It's just a matter of whether it's been detected yet, the question of presence, IMO, is not really a question.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Yes, of course. (Slightly unusual part was group's reaction/debate on "how this find should be shared" - should it be through a press briefing or publish a paper -- The fact that it was "found" , as you said, is not in any way unexpected)..
Edited later: I see this as a breaking "news" in quite a few news papers:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 079697001/
Meanwhile my advice to anyone who is getting a Pfizer or Moderna: Make sure definitely make a bunch of spike proteins and engulf them with dendritic cells. :) Stay safe!
Last edited by Amber G. on 30 Dec 2020 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Amber G. wrote:ToI writers/editors do not disappoint with their idiocy and prejudices. ( One still sees occasional articles about India's covid efforts just in the lens of Islamaphobic/blame on it's minority). Any way just to take one small point...
They appear to be not targeting there vaccine for the European market, why??
They could have checked out my post (<just a few posts above>) in brf (and could easily verify) that EU market has 400 million doses commitment/preordered !

reuters is doing hit job on Oxford non stop, few days back they published
How a British COVID-19 vaccine went from pole position to troubled start https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... KKBN28Y0XU
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/heal ... &smtyp=cur
viral load in a patient key to prognosis!
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Efficacy of Oxford jabs at 95% if given 3 months apart

This is potentially good news. However manufacturing this vaccine appears to have been paused for the past few months.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:I don’t have a firsthand knowledge / talked with a direct source but there is a lot of chatter that a California group has uncovered a new UK SARSCoV2 variant in US. Not published/officially reported yet but I think as public has a right to know about more infectiously transmissible variants as soon as possible, so if verified, I hope they report is soon rather waiting for publishing (and doing diligent checking).
:) FWIW Wpost and a few newspapers are now doing "breaking News" :) ..
Colorado confirms first known US case of new COVID-19 strain believed to be more contagious
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

vera_k wrote:Efficacy of Oxford jabs at 95% if given 3 months apart

This is potentially good news. However manufacturing this vaccine appears to have been paused for the past few months.
Interesting .. I posted (while replying to Vayutuvan's query about why people think how/low dose worked better etc)
this:
Amber G. wrote:Vayutuvan: Wrt to low dose vs full dose - what some experts say - described in simpler terms:
<snip>

So it seems that they are understanding that part better. .

I am, like others, would like to see more details and data - I am sure it will be coming out very soon.
For me, one major positive point (as compared with Pfizer/Moderna) is we have very good data about it's effectiveness for preventing the spread. For mRNA vaccines - we do not have this data (and may be wait for next 2-3 months to see how effective these vaccines are in stopping the spreading of the virus - at present vaccinated people still have to wear masks etc)
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

vera_k wrote:Efficacy of Oxford jabs at 95% if given 3 months apart

where did you see this?
The company has manufactured 40-50 million doses so far and would sell these shots primarily in India initially.

“For the first month, we may give most of the volumes to India because if we have to export, we have to go through the WHO pre-qualification procedure, which may take another month or so," Poonawalla said.

The company is manufacturing 50-60 million doses of Covishield a month and will increase its capacity to 100 million doses by March after commissioning its third plant. Poonawalla said he expects a shortage of vaccines in the first six months, but after that, as more vaccine manufacturers’ products are launched, the supply-demand mismatch will ease.
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

chanakyaa wrote:
Everything around AstraZeneca vaccine is *bizarre* and *strangely suspicious*. It is bizarre because very large publicly listed companies like AstraZeneca are very careful about messaging, especially about its reputation when the entire world is tracking companies' vaccine developments. Yes, creating a new vaccine with right dosage amount can be more than rocket science. I'm sure ICMR has its own protocol and data verification, but whenever there is UK involved, "trust but double verify". For AstraZeneca, it begins with confusing dosage experiments, mixed messages on the outcome of the results, lack of publication of data. They appear to be not targeting there vaccine for the European market, why?? I hope that there is no wicked plan of facilitating an approval in India and thereby using mass vaccination effort in India as "trial phase 4"...

AstraZeneca vaccine not ready for quick European approval, watchdog official says
“They have not even filed an application with us yet”, Wathion said in an interview with Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad published on Tuesday.
“Not even enough to warrant a conditional marketing licence”, he said. “We need additional data about the quality of the vaccine. And after that, the company has to formally apply.”
Well, it's a lot cheaper both to purchase and to transport/store than the Pfizer/Moderna ones, so naturally it'd have an advantage in poorer countries. Also, phase 4 trials are by definition done on the general public after a medication/vaccine is approved for use by the general public, so nothing conspiratorial there.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

vijayk wrote:where did you see this?
Inferring from timeline committed in the past.

Serum Institute Is Committed To 400 Million Doses Before 2020-end: AstraZeneca
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile NYTimes etc are reporting that -
(Few points from the story - few points/my understanding - read the full article for details)
Sinopharm reports its inactivated virus COVID19 vaccine had a 79% efficacy rate in interim late-stage trials.
(Last month, UAE Flag of United Arab Emirates reported Sinopharm’s vaccine had 86% efficacy (100% for moderate/severe COVID)

Apparently UAE officials have already begun to use the Sinopharm vaccine as of last month based on its earlier 86% efficacy numbers.

Sinopharm vaccine does not require freezing.

“The analysis shows no serious safety concerns,” the UAE Ministry of Health said, adding that the findings showed the vaccine was 100 percent effective in preventing moderate and severe cases of covid-19.
====
From what I know - Sinopharm has 2 diff vaccine candidates. But from NYTimes (or WaPost) article it is not clear which is which — if same vaccine or diff. Wished they had better clear reporting on this detail. (data on Chinese websites etc is pretty difficult to get and trust from my side is low too).
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Meanwhile, vaccinations have started for prisoners and prison staff in the USA. Pfizer or Moderna vaccine availability must have improved quite a bit.

Most people will remember the H1N1 vaccinations and how much persistence and patience it took to get that vaccine. That experience should help this time round.
dhyana
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dhyana »

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine authorised for emergency supply in the UK
AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for emergency supply in the UK, with the first doses being released today so that vaccinations may begin early in the New Year.

The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has provided authorisation for emergency supply of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, formerly AZD1222, for the active immunisation of individuals 18 years or older. The authorisation recommends two doses administered with an interval of between four and 12 weeks. This regimen was shown in clinical trials to be safe and effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19, with no severe cases and no hospitalisations more than 14 days after the second dose.
So, AstraZeneca/Oxford's shot finally gets the nod. Hopefully only a matter of days before emergency authorized in India?

I almost was a volunteer in the US trials for this- but asked too may questions and wasn't selected :-). No matter, ended up getting the Pfizer shot last week. I would have had no problem with getting the AstraZeneca jab, given the good efficacy at preventing severe disease (that's the biggest selling point of these vaccines imho). But I have little confidence in any of the Chinese vaccines (w/ their sparse data transparency)- no thanks.

Then, there's this:
Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine authorised by UK medicines regulator
Throughout this global pandemic we have always been guided by the latest scientific advice. Having studied evidence on both the Pfizer/BioNTech and Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccines, the JCVI has advised the priority should be to give as many people in at-risk groups their first dose, rather than providing the required two doses in as short a time as possible.

Everyone will still receive their second dose and this will be within 12 weeks of their first. The second dose completes the course and is important for longer term protection.

From today the NHS across the UK will prioritise giving the first dose of the vaccine to those in the most high-risk groups. With two vaccines now approved, we will be able to vaccinate a greater number of people who are at highest risk, protecting them from the disease and reducing mortality and hospitalisation.

The JCVI’s independent advice is that this approach will maximise the benefits of both vaccines. It will ensure that more at-risk people are able to get meaningful protection from a vaccine in the coming weeks and months, reducing deaths and starting to ease pressure on our NHS.
Very interesting strategy, and certainly the opposite of what is happening in the US.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Amber G. wrote:Meanwhile NYTimes etc are reporting that -
(Few points from the story - few points/my understanding - read the full article for details)
Sinopharm reports its inactivated virus COVID19 vaccine had a 79% efficacy rate in interim late-stage trials.
(Last month, UAE Flag of United Arab Emirates reported Sinopharm’s vaccine had 86% efficacy (100% for moderate/severe COVID)

Apparently UAE officials have already begun to use the Sinopharm vaccine as of last month based on its earlier 86% efficacy numbers.

Sinopharm vaccine does not require freezing.

“The analysis shows no serious safety concerns,” the UAE Ministry of Health said, adding that the findings showed the vaccine was 100 percent effective in preventing moderate and severe cases of covid-19.
====
From what I know - Sinopharm has 2 diff vaccine candidates. But from NYTimes (or WaPost) article it is not clear which is which — if same vaccine or diff. Wished they had better clear reporting on this detail. (data on Chinese websites etc is pretty difficult to get and trust from my side is low too).
Not just the UAE but seemingly most of the muslim bloc are all in with the chini vaccines.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... avirus-jab

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandem ... inese-drug

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN28Y1R1

They might not have a choice I guess with Pfizer, Moderna and other western vaccines reserved for the first world.
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

Where are you guys finding the data for Pfizer, Moderna, and the Oxford vaccine? Even if it's not peer reviewed, I'd love to take a look.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Zynda wrote:Apparently, so far there have been 6 cases of newer strain of Covid detected in India (mostly all 6 are UK returnees I think) & 3 of them are in Karnataka. Why the hell is UK not imposing a travel ban on its citizens? As usual, many of the returnees at the airport are providing incorrect addresses & telephone/mobile numbers making tracing challenging. Unless there are very serious side effects from the vaccines, Indians will get it or have to get it...I know some of the more accurate & reliable models are predicting very low number of cases in India by March, but not sure if they considered or accounted this new super infectious strain.
The six people affected were Indian citizens. Most airlines are asking for a recent (1or two day prior) test before allowing anyone on board.

The French shut the border on their side as soon as the UK announced the new strain. It was only after the UK pointed out that most of the truck drivers were French or EU citizens, that the French reopened the border. Many of the truckers spent Christmas in their freezing cabs. Over 4000 trucks were affected.