Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by darshan »

Side 1: scientific issues are being solved by non stem people.
Side 2: scientific issues will be solved by liberals.

Only historians will tell how it all went down.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

darshan wrote: Actually few headlines did run with the word terrorist in them while showing a guy with confederate flag in hands.
Very few saar. The usual gang of bbc, wapo, nyt etc are running with "supporters". Actually scratch that, the threat level has been raised to "mob" :rotfl:

It’s Official: Trump Supporters Who Breached Capitol Are a Mob, Washington Post Staff Told
The style edict came from the editor
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

^^^contrast that to the pure democratic way of protest in the 'Heathen Land' by the poor/rich farmers
Should not the Award-wapsi/jholawala/leftist-jihadi groups now write to USA that people should be allowed to protest democratically and that they are concerned about the police brutality and mourn the loss of life.
Imagine if similar violence in desh by crazy gang on modiji's victory and the 'up-holder of the world's conscience' (read Kanada/China/Paxatan/US/wsj/ etc) will go stir crazy
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

^^^ and given this I am worried about the situation in Delhi!! sorry cross-posting
Will the protest go violent there is the question?
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Rsatchi wrote:^^^ and given this I am worried about the situation in Delhi!! sorry cross-posting
Will the protest go violent there is the question?
Imho, would be very stupid if anyone tries violent protest in desh. There won't be a white knight providing cover fire for atleast a couple of months after today. Then again, hypocrisy has always come easy to "intellectuals" and bald eagles so who even knows.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

https://twitter.com/varungandhi80/statu ... 34053?s=20

Tringa flag storming the Capitol Building in Washington DC
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

That person must have been there in support of skills and science deciding H1 and not lottery and made up job descriptions.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Vayutuvan wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Ironic that they look for divinity in a tribal desert totem, a projection of all that was barbarous in that primitive age, yet they don’t see that a four year little girl is the only angel humans will ever know.
:roll: :roll: :|

sire please make sense, if you please. is it too much to ask, hain ji?!!!

Did they not teach you about Jesus's claim to be an expert exorcist, as evidence of his messiahship, in catechism? If it is the use of language, it's only a little more advanced than what you learnt in convent school.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looking at the near simultaneous and similar tweets from Boris Johnson, Justin Trudeau, and NaMo, it appears some appeal went out to ensure DT steps down.

May be 8 years later new Papers will reveal this.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Indeed, we'll learn more as time passes. I thought it was curious that all 10 living defense secretaries felt it necessary to write a letter. Things were perhaps more serious than it appears on the surface.

Involving the military in election disputes would cross into dangerous territory
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

rajkumar wrote:https://twitter.com/varungandhi80/statu ... 34053?s=20

Tringa flag storming the Capitol Building in Washington DC
Actually it is spelled Tiranga! Great way to make enemies with the incoming administration.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

There was a Georgia flag too. Someone may have downloaded images from the net without checking for country or state (Georgia, Indiana)

Or the video is fake.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Vivek K wrote:Actually it is spelled Tiranga! Great way to make enemies with the incoming administration.
How?

Next time we should put a dhoti over there and when it flutters people can have a very valid dhoti shiver.

Indians do not have anything like mind-controlling big brother like commie cheencans have.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Seems to me that you're the only one dhoti shivering. The post is a lament for a self goal - but you're using unnecessary bravado to score "silly points".
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Tanaji wrote:There was a Georgia flag too. Someone may have downloaded images from the net without checking for country or state (Georgia, Indiana)

Or the video is fake.
Come on - please tell me you really don't believe what you posted! I'm hoping the video is a fake.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

You have more faith in the intelligence of the average redneck sire... Based on experience, I don’t hold much hope. :P
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Vivek K wrote:Seems to me that you're the only one dhoti shivering. The post is a lament for a self goal - but you're using unnecessary bravado to score "silly points".
There is no self-goal. You might be seeing shadows in the dark! And being accused of 'bravado' and 'dhoti shivering' in one line is new for me. Those two are orthogonal BTW.

Why do not you look at it this way: The protestor might be asking for a verifiable and tamper-proof voting process. India has one. US has none. In a democracy, every citizen has a right to peaceful protest.

Also,

1. Biden needs legitimacy. Calls all the leaders (Kanuckistan, fUK, and Bharat), and the leader of the largest democracy gives the most devastating twitter comment. That tweet in one strike legitimizes Bharat's own democratic processes, affirms for a democratic process, and also sends a message to rabble-rousers to refrain from hijacking the democratic process.

2. There are only two large democratic nations on Earth. US and India. The rest are too tiny or wannabes (rather euro-wannabes) and the remaining are authoritarians. It is in India's interests that the US elections are free and fair.

US exceptionalism (please check that out) prevented US from seeking help from India in improving its own democratic processes. Now it can.

I think people need to turn around and discard the view that what US thinks today the world thinks tomorrow.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

American exceptionalism has always been a myth. While Reagen was busy putting america on a pedestal, a ""city upon a hill", and (edit) Roosevelt (edit) fighting the huns in europe for "freedom and equality"; women of color weren't even allowed to vote until 1965.

Well, I guess they are exceptional in a way. The holier than thou attitude, the belief that they are the harbinger of a great future etc all point to a delusion not present in other eurotards.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

OMG! Aren't you overthinking things disha!. But a simple comment wish for good relations with the new US administration made you launch into a long comment on democracy and voting processes. But again - that's your privilege, time and sanity. Good luck!

But since you asked - I would rather focus on Indian exceptionalism making India better. Instead of hordes of Indians running from Indian shores seeking greener pastures in the US, make the same persons stay home and make India a destination for others to seek to immigrate to. Invest in domestic industry instead of wasting billions on imports. America has implemented a lot of amenities for the common persons to make their lives better and we can learn from their development to launch our own.

I love this poem by Rabindranath Tagore (or Thakur as some call him)

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

India can beat nations like US and China by investing in herself. We don't need the approval of every has been nation to feel good about ourselves. But hey, what do I know.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

The globalization of protest culture is a new phenomenon, and it cuts both ways. Perhaps it is technology and automation that is causing this by freeing up time for people. For example, so many Americans, Canadians and Britishers have been protesting in Delhi and their countries against the farm laws. I doubt a change in Indian farm laws affects the benefits received by these folks from their governments even in the slightest.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The Tiranga was carried by WS and Proud Boy types and not Indian origin persons. Even the wing nut cases realize India has a more free and fair election system than the US.

https://qz.com/1953366/decoding-the-pro ... d-banners/
The flags of Canada, Cuba, Georgia, India, Israel, South Korea, and South Vietnam were spotted in the mob. It’s unclear why many of these flags appeared, though a number of the white supremacist and militia groups that were present have international chapters. For example, the presence of the Canadian flag could have been because the white nationalist group the Proud Boys was founded by a Canadian.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

This thread will be even more relevant under the new admin, I suppose.
dsreedhar
BRFite

Post by dsreedhar »

Couple of tweets possibly identifying the guy carrying Indian flag in the Capitol building protest -
https://twitter.com/BefittingFacts/stat ... 91426?s=20
https://twitter.com/VincentPXavier/stat ... 52997?s=20
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Was looking into the Proud Boys and came across something really interesting and funny. Their initiation process:

"The first stage is a loyalty oath, on the order of "I’m a proud Western chauvinist, I refuse to apologize for creating the modern world"; the second is getting punched until the person recites pop culture trivia, such as the names of five breakfast cereals; the third is getting a tattoo and agreeing to not mast*rbate; and the fourth is getting into a major fight "for the cause." :rotfl:

Apologies if this is OT but this does somewhat gives an insight into the mind of such groups.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Karan M wrote:This thread will be even more relevant under the new admin, I suppose.
This thread can be combined with this one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7825&start=240 after Jan 20 I think.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

It is not often one see a full dozen eggs cracking on faces around you

Before the Indian flag waving chap at Capitol’s identity came out, there were tons of posts from RoLers saying “yevil yindoo Modi supporter sullying holier than holiest temple of democracy”. Leftists, who hate America joined in with profound stuff about what it means to be sullying such institutions, doubtless based on their own experience in Trivandrum Secratariat (Google for “Sivan kutty kerala assembly”) and fellow comrades around the world.

Speculations about origin of chap ranging from Gujarat to UP were bandied about.

Turns out the dude who did it was a bible-thumping, beef eating garden variety Kerala catholic :D

Meet Vincent Xavier, Indian-Origin Trump Fan at Capitol Hill Siege

Deafening silence now
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Is it easy to obtain Indian flag at the moment's notice in DC area?
Man Who Waved Indian Flag At US Capitol Hill Protest Identified As Vincent Xavier, An Alleged Supporter Of Shashi Tharoor
https://swarajyamag.com/insta/man-who-w ... hi-tharoor
Same person?
https://www.vinsonforschoolboard.com/ab ... lathingal/

Trump Announces Intent to Appoint Vinson Palathingal to Export Council
https://www.indiawest.com/news/global_i ... 91285.html
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Is this Vincent Xavier fellow a Proud Boy? Or just a Trump supporter protesting? As long as he didn’t trespass on property, he would be within his rights to protest. Anyone can buy a full size flag of India in the US in retail. About $8-$30.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

hnair wrote:It is not often one see a full dozen eggs cracking on faces around you

Before the Indian flag waving chap at Capitol’s identity came out, there were tons of posts from RoLers saying “yevil yindoo Modi supporter sullying holier than holiest temple of democracy”. Leftists, who hate America joined in with profound stuff about what it means to be sullying such institutions, doubtless based on their own experience in Trivandrum Secratariat (Google for “Sivan kutty kerala assembly”) and fellow comrades around the world.

Speculations about origin of chap ranging from Gujarat to UP were bandied about.

Turns out the dude who did it was a bible-thumping, beef eating garden variety Kerala catholic :D

Meet Vincent Xavier, Indian-Origin Trump Fan at Capitol Hill Siege

Deafening silence now
Not surprising. An unexpectedly large number of Mallu Christian folks I know are Trumpers. This was news to me . I expected them to be generally aligned with the right wing evangelicals but being Trumpers is a whole different demographic. It’s not clear what leads folks who are otherwise just evangelical supporters to become Trumpers, particularly since the Indians are typically well off folks far more likely to be aligned to general evangelicals than the lower middle class folks who predominantly constitute Trumps actively visible base. I know a lot of rich folks also vote for him but they’re not sucked into the excitement of the movement as well.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Some say the 2020 US Election was stolen from Trump. Others disagree.

Here is what many view as the clinching evidence as to how it was done. Make your own views.

How Italy helped in stealing the US Election
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

This Election is over, done with, closed. Let us move on.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Right-wing extremists vow to return to Washington for Joe Biden's inauguration

Looks like the new admin is going to be busy with domestic issues for a while.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

vera_k wrote:Right-wing extremists vow to return to Washington for Joe Biden's inauguration

Looks like the new admin is going to be busy with domestic issues for a while.
yes. domestic terrorism to be specific.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

saip wrote:This Election is over, done with, closed. Let us move on.
what is the hurry, hain ji?!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
durairaaj
BRFite

Post by durairaaj »

I don't understand hue and cry the US politicians in media are raising about the protest in capitol. Americans just tasted their own colour revolution, albeit a failed one, which they have been orchestrating all over the world.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

If only the Chinese now announce support for the "capitol patriots" and send in financial help as well as some military advisors to uphold democracy, can we call this a truly american inspired revolution.

And if some excess QBZs and Type-99 tanks could magically find their way into dc, then Reagen couldn't be prouder :mrgreen:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Well....since the movement has Indian origin patriots like Vincent Xavier, then they can continue to adopt other ideas in parallel such as Satyagraha for civil disobedience.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Vayutuvan wrote:
saip wrote:This Election is over, done with, closed. Let us move on.
what is the hurry, hain ji?!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arrey yaar, did you not hear Xiden's speech today? Multi-trillion in stimulus and spending. Everyone in DC and government contractors are licking their chops. Some people are going to become very wealthy and middle class is going to continue to be gutted. Ivy leaguers and elite universities are going to pick up some good serving sizes. If only I had friends in high places could I make a killing. Who doesn't want to move on when the opportunity to get wealthy presents itself?
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

@Mortji,

Talk scientifically. All for STEM. Commoners have left with their sense to fund the science.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Tribal Christians of US vs European Christians of US
US Supreme Court Takes Up Tribal Traffic Stops - National Motorists Association
https://www.motorists.org/blog/editors- ... ry-7-2021/
The power of Indian tribes to exercise authority over non-Indian drivers on public roads will be decided this year by the US Supreme Court. Justices agreed to take up the case of Joshua James Cooley, who encountered a Crow Indian Reservation police officer while he was resting in his truck on the side of US Route 212 in Montana.
“Among the promises made by the United States to the Crow Tribe, the very first — Article I of the 1868 Treaty — was the ability to ensure the apprehension and prosecution of ‘bad men,’ including their exclusion from the reservation, ‘upon proof,'” lawyers for the National Congress of American Indians wrote. “This court should hold the government to its word.”

Cooley, who is represented by a public defender, offered a much more modest defense for his position. His counsel insisted the tribes misunderstand the limits of their law enforcement power.

“This lack of criminal jurisdiction is rooted in the diminished sovereignty that necessarily results from Indian tribes’ dependence on the government of the United States,” federal defender John Rhodes and lawyer Eric R. Henkel wrote. “Indian tribes lack criminal jurisdiction over non-Indians because the United States has manifested a solicitude that its citizens be protected by the United States from unwarranted intrusions on their personal liberty.”