India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by Kashi »

Who the eff is US to give us a waiver??

Take your waiver and stuff it up yours where the sun don't shine.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Trump told a crowd of MAGAtards that he would lead them on a march to the Capitol to show their collective strength. They marched to the Capitol, started a riot, got arrested etc. He went home :mrgreen:

This is Standard Operating Procedure for Trump. Back in 2016 I had relayed the story of how his organization tried to reneg on a contract with an acquaintance of mine.

Seems like this is another case of the same thing. Trump sarkaar made a yuge promise to GOI that even though every other country to buy S400 is subject to US sanctions, there was a special waiver in the cards for us. Being s400tiyas, we believed him. I wonder what they extracted from New Delhi in exchange for this "gentlemen's agreement".
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

I think it is highly unlikely that in this day and age anyone believes in a "gentlemanly agreement" - especially with the current GOI. It is possible that they may have had a hope for Trump return even that I am suspicious of; everyone could see it was not going to be a slam dunk even if he did win and thus would have gamed an administration hostile to India's interests.

Now, the question is what kind of sanctions/impact are we looking at - is it a cancel every defense contract (even though it would end up hurting US interests also) like in '98? Unlikely - and even if it did transpire that way we're much better prepared now than 22 years back.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

The GOI apparently went forward with purchase of S400 on the understanding that US would not sanction India for the arms purchase. The understanding was apparently not documented, however, because India is now being told that the sanctions waiver may not apply.

So whatever you want to call it, looks like GOI did not perform due diligence or simply does not care (is prepared to accept the sanctions). Either way S400 has been paid for & Russia will not simply give a refund.

In theory the US applies sanctions to anyone carrying on any kind of defence-related trade with Russia. In practice there are usually waivers for things like spares & munitions for legacy equipment, but not for new purchases.

What makes S400 interesting is that Turkey has bought it even though they are a NATO country. The US was very upset and cut Turkey out of the F35 JSF program (in which Turkey had already invested money.) The US was also considering further sanctions against Turkey but Trump sarkar did not go ahead with them.

If the new admin wants to impose further sanctions on Turkey for their S400 purchase it will get tricky for them to waive sanctions on India for the same purchase. Conversely it will be difficult for them to justify sanctioning India but not Turkey. Let us see.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

So far the references about sanctions for the S-400 purchase are coming from Richard Rossow at the CSIS think tank.
https://www.csis.org/people/richard-m-rossow

We have not heard officially from any Trump administration person or the incoming Biden administration. SoS Pompeo and Sec Def. Esper visited in India right before the US elections and nothing was mentioned about the S-400. Richard Rossow may be issuing a warning based on potential actions of the new team. Historically, on contentious issues like this, outgoing officials "kick the can" down to the next administration.

Watch the simulation of HIMARS and F-35 destroy an S-400 battery, issued by Lockheed Martin in Dec. 2020:
Last edited by Mort Walker on 16 Jan 2021 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

There will be no such sanctions. Not because they are not in India’s interest, but because they are not in the US interest.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

If there is a documented agreement for a sanctions waiver, the incoming admin has to respect it. That's how diplomacy works. They can impose new sanctions on subsequent purchases going forward, if they choose. But they cannot retroactively cancel an official govt-to-govt agreement regarding a specific purchase, IF one exists.

The only way they can sanction an S400 purchase that occurred in the past is if no documented agreement of waiver exists.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

sanjaykumar wrote:There will be no such sanctions. Not because they are not in India’s interest, but because they are not in the US interest.
In recent times we have noted that US interests do not necessarily align with partisan political interests.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Biden picks Kashmiri-origin Sameera Fazili in WH team

Sameera Fazili has been named as Deputy Director, National Economic Council at the White House, the Biden-Harris Transition announced on Friday.

The National Economic Council coordinates the economic policy making process and provide economic policy advice to the US president.

Fazili is currently the Economic Agency lead on the Biden-Harris Transition.

She was earlier posted at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta where she served as the Director of Engagement for Community and Economic Development.
Kashmiri-origin appointee in Joe Biden’s White House team has links to Islamist org, CIA Director pick has concerns about ‘Hindu majoritarianism’: Details
The matter of concern, however, is that Fazili appears to be a member of Stand With Kashmir, an Islamist organization that is a proponent of Kashmiri Separatism. In August 2019, following the abrogation of Article 370, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) introduced her as a member of SWK.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

sooraj wrote:
The matter of concern, however, is that Fazili appears to be a member of Stand With Kashmir, an Islamist organization that is a proponent of Kashmiri Separatism. In August 2019, following the abrogation of Article 370, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) introduced her as a member of SWK.
Looking at Biden's picks for his team it seems China is no longer the focus but looks to go back to meddling with issues rather than mending ties with India. Clearly China will be a "partner" in a marriage of convenience. Biden would be talking "Kashmir" "religious freedom" and the CIA back to its usual tricks ( read how Su Swamy is reacting ! )
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

It's alright.. aapne ghabraana nahin hai... (no need to panic), we have a role model as VPOTUS.
Last edited by Kashi on 16 Jan 2021 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

sanjaykumar wrote:There will be no such sanctions. Not because they are not in India’s interest, but because they are not in the US interest.

With the current idealogical bunch currently in democratic party. I will not be so sure.

They will gladly cut off own nose to spite own face.

Anyway, I will be happy if sanctions are applied by USA. It might just be the kick needed to get Kaveri going.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

I completely agree, it will be the last push we will need to secure engine development. We did pretty good after 1998 sections and will do much better this time. It will ensure that we can’t import anything worthwhile and service n scientists will go extra mile to finish in development programs.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

I believe we need more detailed discussion on upcoming admin in dc and impact on Indo-us relations. I see relations between us and china normalizing and you would see CAATSA sanctions on India under the guise of S400 (we should accept them with open arms and govt is prepared as this helps us lot in many ways bring it on), I really hope that will help us to develop the indigenous engine that we badly need like last time we had good progress on indigenous efforts.

You will also see rona Dhona on cashmere on big time with usual cronies crawling out of holes to throw things at India with usual porkistani lobby getting more funding and even breather from the FATF list. May be even some F solah for combating terrorists.

More hooman rights crap peddled by paid conversion guys will increase may be resolutions condemning India freezing money of foreign funded anti India NGOs. Raising Indias listing on countries in persecution yada yada.

Iran will be sent overtures but all will depend whether and how they revive their agreement with the us. Chabahar will be dead or move to Chinese control.

Talibunnies will be back and complete exit of remaining 2500 troops , us would hope to keep the outpost but with bunnies back it would be hard to support them so the remainder will do gear wapasi.

Agrentina and other South American countries will see meddling.Especially lithium triangle.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

This Sameera Faizili seems to have BA in social studies from Harvard. Her entire profile is filled with Islamist agenda work items from ME to Kashmir. How did she switch to holding economic and monetary policy is something that needs some investigation.
rohiths
BRFite

Post by rohiths »

Nothing good will come from Biden and gang. All hectoring about Human rights Muslims and Kashmir will start. It will be 90s all over again
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

krishna_krishna wrote:I believe we need more detailed discussion on upcoming admin in dc and impact on Indo-us relations. I see relations between us and china normalizing and you would see CAATSA sanctions on India under the guise of S400 (we should accept them with open arms and govt is prepared as this helps us lot in many ways bring it on), I really hope that will help us to develop the indigenous engine that we badly need like last time we had good progress on indigenous efforts.
BRF as usual ahead of curve., there is a thread for CAATSA alone !.. a good idea to keep track on how they are going to apply the sanctions. I for one don't think it's an if but when.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I’d like to mention something in the context of the incoming US administration. Lots of minute analysis of assorted baboos with Indian or subcontinental names. Yes sure it’s nice if thru play nice with us. But...

What do you want the US-India dynamic to be ? Please think beyond ‘positive’, ‘mutually beneficial’ and other 50 paise / MBA words. The US is the larger established supapawa. India is a regional power with supapawa aspirations. You want India to be helped to greater power and strength? What is power ?

Power in a geopolitical context is the ability to act in a manner that focuses on your interests while being able to overcome external resistance. You can develop this power independently or express it though a strong relationship. Independent powers are entities like US, China, Russia and France. A strong dependent power is the UK.

There’s a tendency to think of power in the context of US-UK ties. This is a very bad template. Those countries are connected by a historically connected socio-economic elite. The UK, like a stock option, has little intrinsic power. It derived power by being able to reliably call upon the US, though it sounds like ‘listen to me or I’ll call daddy’. This ‘power’ comes at both an enormous political cost - intrusion into the local polity, basing rights and more - and also requires long standing connections of blood and money. There is a reason this is called a special relationship. This is out of the question in India’s case.

There are strong allied countries like Japan and Germany. These countries are not independent powers. They have no major force projection or defense capabilities, though Japan is quite capable at the latter out of necessity. This however is not India’s station, not even temporarily. The simple reason is that the cost of this is one for which there is no political will. The costs of such a station are unquestioned backing of the US led economic and geopolitical apparatus, US basing rights and more.

The only remaining power goal for India is to built it independently, by demonstrating our will and ability to act how we desire regardless of who opposes it. To build this power, one needs to stop thinking in terms of whether others are going to be our friends. They won’t be. It’s not that they will be enemies - they’ll be looking after their interests, whatever those are. Our power lies in our ability to act as we desire regardless of the other sides imperatives are.

India is a funny country. Repeatedly demonstrates enormous capability to marshal will and resources into great things - great feats in space, effectively a P5+1 thru sheer bloodyminded pursuit of nukes and mijjiles, but also walks around in fear of its own shadow and acts like power is bestowed by others with a ‘shabash beta’ pat on the head.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Suraj, my thoughts precisely. What irked (but didn't kill) us has always made us stronger. This is a far better way to come up (in the long term) than "USA helping India become a superpower" (a cringeworthy statement made by Condi Rice & then repeated by MMS govt officials with an even more cringeworthy sense of achievement).

Kashmiri Islamist in the White House Staff? Good! It will keep both the official embassy/consulate-wale and the ordinary Yindoo-American off the couch & on our toes.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Suraj wrote:I’d like to mention something in the context of the incoming US administration. Lots of minute analysis of assorted baboos with Indian or subcontinental names. Yes sure it’s nice if thru play nice with us. But...
Sir I am sure you are well aware, this happened during Obama days too but the way dems use this is taking leaf out of brexiters use brown babus to undermine India nothing new. This has a historical context and with more and more porki desi growing up you will see the environment turn anti indian in big time and why to limit to that there are lot of indian born desi's climbing up ladders against very hard tide through sheer efforts however pressure on them to be bluer than blue will be immense and I don't blame them and they have to do what is right for their country.

I always believed and do now , massa and desh can never be allies as strategic interests of both are at opposite end what you see with Quad and other areas is more of conveniance partly due to India's military and strength in other areas and partly due to location. Case in point we are aligned in Indo pacific but opposite end in Afghanistan. That does not mean we cannot enggage with them where we have interests that are aligned and areas which are beneficial to us. All this Bharat mata - Columbia mata being sisters and trump and modi being buddies is just western propaganda. During trump lot of heartburn was done by evangelists , H1B visa , sharing cloroquinie medicine or else, recognize Jerusalem via un etc etc.

This is a game played by all the powers and will be so in future, interests are supreme. Even though massa is a receding power but still a power though.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Rudradev wrote:Suraj, my thoughts precisely. What irked (but didn't kill) us has always made us stronger. This is a far better way to come up (in the long term) than "USA helping India become a superpower" (a cringeworthy statement made by Condi Rice & then repeated by MMS govt officials with an even more cringeworthy sense of achievement).

Kashmiri Islamist in the White House Staff? Good! It will keep both the official embassy/consulate-wale and the ordinary Yindoo-American off the couch & on our toes.
+1000
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Nice post Suraj.

Rhetorically, does India "need" to be a super power? We have long been inclined to liking being left alone to pursue our own goals. But we haven't been allowed to, since Alexander to Muslim invasions to European colonisers, and now China. Today's interconnected world makes it imperative to improve our power quotient even to just secure our own interests which do not go beyond our borders.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Yes India has historically done better when it has to take upon adverse circumstances. In fact the most far reaching political actions - at least from an internal perspective but also in some foreign policy cases - occurred in response to crisis. Our polity is not in general bestowed with a particular level of focus without a threat or risk to motivate it.

Sure the US admin might pick a bunch of prickly people. These people are just some time away from being rebuked by S Jaishankar, an Indian visa denial, or both. There will be some unpleasant behavior and outright nastiness . This is part and parcel of expression of power. When we act, we show power.

The ‘need to be a superpower’ is an interesting question. Superpower itself is an MBA word, which is why I used the mocking supapawa spelling. The better approach is, restore India to its prior standing of 2500 years - one of the two largest economies and geopolitical forces. This is India’s natural standing . Has always been. Not some caricatured Middle Kingdom center of the universe Beijing fantasy, but India historically looked up to nobody. We had enough of whatever was important in the preindustrial world for everyone to seek to engage us and maintain good terms with us. No one else set terms or established rules and systems we were compelled to follow. Superpowerdom is thus the ability to engage the world on terms we set.

That historical memory has been beaten out of our skulls by centuries of overlordship, to the point that it’s either been erased in many and turned them into somewhat socially primitive entities who cannot see past their clan relationships, or seen as wistful longing by many. However, the modern Indian state has assiduously bumbled its way forward - for the lack of a better description - towards rebuilding the pieces that made India what it was historically.

I don’t really understand this ‘natural allies’ business with US. Yes we can potentially have great ties. It’s worth working towards that. But India has no history of allied behavior. It has no broad political support of allying with any one entity. In Japan, DPJ and LDP are all aligned on US policy. Same for SPD and CDU in Germany. That’s been literally beaten into them post WW2. That’s not the case in India. Hasn’t been and won’t be.

Our engagement with the world revolves around rebuilding our standing as an independent geopolitical pole. That’s what we’ve always been.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

Cyranoji, it's not a question of wanting that superpower or at least major power status for self aggrandizement- it is more for our own survival as there will be constant pin pricks from all quarters till you reach some minimum threshold in both power and the space to exercise it. This is more a virtuous cycle where we will have to scale the rungs carefully, sure enough it will have some setbacks when jackals/jackasses combine to thwart some efforts but at times it is also a blessing in disguise.
rpartha
BRFite

Post by rpartha »

I posted the below link in Understanding the US again but feels that this might relevant here too...

Some analysis on the Biden team and its impact on India..

https://thediplomat.com/2021/01/bidens- ... dy-course/
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Thanks for posting this from the Diplomat.

Funny to see how Saba Sattar equates Modi and Trump as "populists" - Def: relating to or characteristic of a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups

While Trump has indeed projected himself as a populist, Modi did not, and is not a populist though very popular going by his resounding 2nd term mandate. Modi has shown exemplary courage in taking what could be unpopular steps like demonetisation and Covid lockdown, whereas Trump was all bombastic talk and hardly any walk. Trump measured his success on the stock market index, Modi measures his on Human Development Index. Trump tried to appeal to the far right and push as many moderate Americans as he can to the far right with his divisive discourse and derogatory speech, a lot of it on social media. Modi appeals to the right and truthful instincts of 1.4 billion people with his carefully calibrated, respectful and constructive speeches devoid of vitriol, direct telecast as monthy Mann ki Baat. Trump makes a circus and riles with main stream media, Modi is mostly out of it. There can't be more contrasting personalities and approaches.

She also raises the tedious bogie of Human Rights in Kashmir, unless she includes the cleansing of Kashmiri Pandits, and even then it remains an internal matter. US under Biden will indeed be well advised to keep away from such view points since Kashmir is not a low intensity conflict when 60000+ lives have been lost due to cross border terrorism, it finds its roots in previous US administration's policies of creating & funding jihadi elements for the Afghan war which got rerouted by Pakistan to Kashmir, while spending US dole. Today, US is in a worse position to comment on HR abuses of others while struggling to deal with racism and white supremacy extremism at home, which have shaken the very foundations of their democracy.

The other major disappointment in this article is the lack of any mention of economic dimension to strengthen the relationship. India's skilled worker base, significant capabilities in Pharma, progress made in environment friendly technologies and policies, potential to be an alternate manufacturing partner to China etc. find no mention. There is so much scope for cooperation beyond geopolitical security that has escaped the writers comprehension.

Given she is a "doctoral candidate" her narrow and repetitious perspective is understandable, what is surprising is that The Diplomat found no one better to write on such an important topic.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Rudradev wrote:If the new admin wants to impose further sanctions on Turkey for their S400 purchase it will get tricky for them to waive sanctions on India for the same purchase. Conversely it will be difficult for them to justify sanctioning India but not Turkey. Let us see.
The new US admin will not sanction Turkey any further, as they plan to use Turkey to spread jihad and instability into Central Asia. The goal is to hurt Russia (and all Russian allies) at any cost. They'll revive the flagging US intervention in Syria (which Trump never actually ended) with Turkey and Israel's help, they'll back Islamic insurrections in Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and the other CA nations, they'll give tacit approval to more Azerbaijani\Turk aggression against Armenia, and they'll finish handing over Afghanistan to the Pakis and their Tali-bunnies.

I fully expect the new Democrat administration to also reverse the Trump hostility to China and end their trade war. As a result, the budding US-India friendship will probably be at least somewhat derailed. I would not be surprised if we get sanctioned for the S400 or any other purchases from Russia.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Indian-Americans
@HinduAmericans

Is Uzra Zeya anti-India, anti-Hindu? Biden just named her as Deputy Sec. of State of human rights and democracy. She is Indian-American Muslim.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

At this juncture in time. Given the idealogical predilection of the new democratic party members.

The thumbrule should be that any Indian American in the democratic party who is being given any official position is going to be a house slave recruited to keep the other slaves in check.

The ones who show any independent thought have been sidelined.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Prem wrote:Indian-Americans
@HinduAmericans

Is Uzra Zeya anti-India, anti-Hindu? Biden just named her as Deputy Sec. of State of human rights and democracy. She is Indian-American Muslim.
Yes, 100% anti-India & anti-Hindu. Proven track record.

She was a principal coordinator of the Devayani Khobragade arrest & strip-search episode, colluding with Khalistani orgs, Preet Bharara, and "Human Rights" groups in the NYC area.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Suraj Saab:

I agree that the UK, Germany and Japan are not the templates to follow for India in its relations with the US. Neither the Indian political class, nor the Indian public opinion will be comfortable with that kind of relationship given our self-image.

One template that we may look at is France. It is a US ally, but not always subservient. It has maintained its independence of action zealously by investing in technology and military, often duplicating US efforts at a higher cost, instead of taking the cheaper option.

To get to that level, IMHO what India has to do is maintain an 8% rate of economic growth, along with spending 4% of GDP on defense (with 90% of Capital Acquisitions sourced from 'Made in India').

Do it consistently for 10 years, and no big brother will dare to bully India around.

JMT
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Do we know if the new US administration will help India push LGBTQ rights in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir? A lot of progress was made on this front in J&K and similar progress is wanting in PoK. Couldn't find much on LGBTQ activism in PoK or support for it from USG.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

I remember some members gushing about all the Hindu Americans being considered to top posts in Biden admin. Now all I see is deepest green anti-Hindu Islamists in his admin. Where did all the Hindus disappear?
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Biden has two openly anti Hindu islamists onboard. Where are appointments that are openly Hindus? Anyone can assign HINOs.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Rudradev wrote:
Prem wrote:Indian-Americans
@HinduAmericans

Yes, 100% anti-India & anti-Hindu. Proven track record.

She was a principal coordinator of the Devayani Khobragade arrest & strip-search episode, colluding with Khalistani orgs, Preet Bharara, and "Human Rights" groups in the NYC area.
The incoming administration is also nominating Victoria Nuland as undersecretary of state for political affairs. :rotfl: A principal architect of the regime change doctrine.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

vera_k wrote:Do we know if the new US administration will help India push LGBTQ rights in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir? A lot of progress was made on this front in J&K and similar progress is wanting in PoK. Couldn't find much on LGBTQ activism in PoK or support for it from USG.
No worries. The hijras of Bakistan, AKA the Pak Army, have gender neutral tatti ghars.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

vimal wrote:I remember some members gushing about all the Hindu Americans being considered to top posts in Biden admin. Now all I see is deepest green anti-Hindu Islamists in his admin. Where did all the Hindus disappear?
The unapologetic Hindus all went Trumpist. Now they are politically untouchable.

I warned against this. A community of our small numbers can't afford not to have ALL its bases covered. While having Republican Hindus is great, there should have remained a strong, active Hindutva-sympathizer wing in the Democratic Party as well, speaking the language of liberalism and pushing back against the Islamist infiltration. Like the Jews have been able to do.

But that would have been "too difficult", and why stand up & fight when you can just put all your eggs in the other basket while offering Chanakian Geopolitical fundas as justification? Vinaash kaale vipareet buddhi.
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

kit wrote:Looking at Biden's picks for his team it seems China is no longer the focus but looks to go back to meddling with issues rather than mending ties with India. Clearly China will be a "partner" in a marriage of convenience. Biden would be talking "Kashmir" "religious freedom" and the CIA back to its usual tricks ( read how Su Swamy is reacting ! )
Then why were all American Hindus blindly pro-Biden and voted for Democrats? Were they mentally blind, unable to see which side their bread was buttered? In contrast, no Paki supported Republicans.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

We are missing something important here. Hindus vote (still mostly for Dems), donate (to both parties) but don't get politically involved anywhere near as much as the Islamists do.

Those people are EVERYWHERE. They start off very small...running for school board member, county comptroller, township public-health official etc. Slowly, and in large numbers they move up to city councils & then state legislatures. All the while they are building up their networks of campaigners, donors, and party influencers.

Now they are beginning to show up in the US Congress... but they have already spread their tentacles of influence throughout the grass roots, the rank & file of their party. They are mostly in the Democratic party, although there are definitely some in the Republican Party as well... remember Sagir Tahir of New Hampshire State Senate who moved a resolution to condemn India on Kashmir, along with Bob Giuda?

Hindus don't get involved in local politics... too low class. They want their kids to become Doctor Engineer Wall-Streeter. So they send them to Ivy League campuses where the wokeness is instilled in them from day one, deracinating them from Hindu roots to the marrow of their bones.

The few genuine Hindus who do get involved in politics don't want to undertake the long, non-remunerative struggle of coming up from the grass roots. They want to jump directly to US Congress & they think money alone will get them there... straight from their previous lives as businesspersons, professionals, housewives or whatever.

Ritesh Tandon, Nisha Sharma, Manga Anantatmula were examples of this. All ran for US Congress as Republicans. The Republican Party took money from them & their supporters, and ran them in unwinnable constituencies (with strong Democratic electorates) as token brown candidates. Not even one of them got elected.
Last edited by Rudradev on 17 Jan 2021 12:38, edited 2 times in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Kakkaji: it’s the other way around . The Gaullist independent streak you describe resembles a small part of what India had for a few millennia. The French are and have always been just a continental power. India need not follow the French model - it’s own model is the original.

The new US administration lives with a collection of internal contradictions. These anti-India virtue signalling types are quintessential ‘do as I say not as I do’ types. They are not even remotely monolithic but are simply bedfellows of convenience that can be played off against each other .