Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Atmavik »

i am hoping pace will pickup. a lot of the medical workers(heros) were already infected and had antibodies so declined the vaccine.

Rajya Sabha TV has some excellent programs discussing covid and the vaccination drive. one such program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juju1SL ... 3i&index=6
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

Uttam wrote:
Adding a bit more information from another source:
"
A team of scientists at the company were "elated" and "joyful" when they saw the results, Dr. Mathai Mammen, M.D., Ph.D., the global head of Janssen Research & Development, told ABC News.

We're a single shot ... And now we've produced data that say that our vaccine is highly effective, 85% effective against severe COVID, 100% effective against hospitalization or death," Mammen said.
On the flip side, it's 66% effective against moderate to severe COVID, not all symptomatic COVID, so it's not comparable to the metrics advertised by the other vaccines.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

DavidD wrote:
Uttam wrote:
Adding a bit more information from another source:
On the flip side, it's 66% effective against moderate to severe COVID, not all symptomatic COVID, so it's not comparable to the metrics advertised by the other vaccines.
Interesting! I wonder why they chose to report a different metric. Shows the importance of peer reviewed publication of results and FDA or equivalent examination of results.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Another strong day .... will definitely cross 500K. May be less than 28th record of 572K.
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

Uttam wrote:
DavidD wrote:
Interesting! I wonder why they chose to report a different metric. Shows the importance of peer reviewed publication of results and FDA or equivalent examination of results.
What reason can it be aside from making the numbers look better? I like that more vaccines are coming online, but IMO this type of reporting will only erode public trust in vaccines.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

BBMP is planning Ph-3 vaccination by beginning of April...read an article an hour ago, as of Jan 26th, only 30% of 1.8L HCWs in BLR are vaccinated. Initially, in Ph-2, BBMP is planning vaccinating 50K and BBMP has instructed ASHA workers & NGOs to compile a list of people aged beyond 50 (eligible for Ph-3 vaccination) by end of March. I was hoping for a little faster pace...when US are saying that by end of May, they would have vaccinated enough people for mostly normal life to resume.

Also hoping that by April, India will give permission for vaccination to be performed by private enterprises at cost. But my feeling is that, for general populace, vaccination won't open before August end at least...hopefully we won't see further Covid waves. People are behaving like Covid in India is done...
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Final numbers: 571K on 29th
30th: 206K prelim ... Hope it reaches 500K even saturday
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

tanks for posting the numbers vijayk. the goal is to ramp up to 10 million a day. this will be a great acchivement

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN29Y1NY
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://trialsitenews.com/an-unlikely-n ... -then-why/
An Unlikely Nation Is Kicking This Pandemic. Guess Which. Then Why.
In mid-November, they were diagnosed with COVID-19, first her, then him. Their paths diverge at this point, but not to worry.

She took the drug hydroxychloroquine. He took ivermectin. They are both well now – walking, golfing, doing yoga — seven weeks later.

The couple’s brush with COVID might have ended very differently. In the United States, patients 75 to 84 years old die at 220 times the rate of adults under 30. But these two elderly, otherwise healthy physicians live in India. They were able to get early home treatment that is virtually, and unconscionably, unheard of in many western countries.

“Without any treatment, we know that the virus enters the cells and replicates there,” Dr. Makarand Paranjpe told me by phone from his home in Pune, where he had quarantined through a fever and other symptoms. “They can create disease that gets much more severe.” Which, of course, is the point of treating early. Stop the progression. ASAP.

From the outset, India, a nation of both economic vigor and poverty, knew it had to act decisively. It did. India locked down early and long; it promoted masks, tested millions, and, as with the Pune couple, treated the infected early.
But a crucial turn for India may have come in August when the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh recommended use of another drug: Ivermectin, which is coming on fast as a leading COVID treatment — without the baggage of at-turns effective but vilified hydroxychloroquine.

This was no small move. Were it a country, U.P.’s more than 230 million citizens would rank it fifth worldwide. As India’s largest state, its embrace of ivermectin may have changed the treatment landscape across India.

“This authentication of ivermectin revived the faith of people,” Dr. Chaurasia told me, “and net result was a massive inclination to take these drugs” — both ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine.

By the end of 2020, Uttar Pradesh — which distributed free ivermectin for home care — had the second-lowest fatality rate in India at 0.26 per 100,000 residents in December. Only the state of Bihar, with 128 million residents, was lower, and it, too, recommends ivermectin.
However, even India is holding back, perhaps temporarily. The Indian Council of Medical Research declined in October to recommend ivermectin nationwide, citing, as other such entities have, the need for more data. Similarly, COVID guidelines in bordering Bangladesh make no mention of the drug, despite successful studies done there.

In India, premier medical centers have, nonetheless, adopted it. In Bangladesh, doctors are using combination ivermectin/doxycycline therapy for home care, as are major hospitals in Dhaka for inpatients.

“The economy is flying,” Dr. Tarek Alam, who led several studies on the drug’s efficacy, told me in an email. “Hospitals have empty COVID beds and the initial demand for ICU has come down.” Indeed, Bangladesh – the world’s most densely populated country — has an even lower fatality rate than India, ranking 126th globally.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://swarajyamag.com/politics/a-long ... asket-case
A Long, Painful Year Of Covid: How Kerala Government Turned The State Into An Epidemic Basket Case
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

vijayk wrote:https://swarajyamag.com/politics/a-long ... asket-case
A Long, Painful Year Of Covid: How Kerala Government Turned The State Into An Epidemic Basket Case
I remember how KL-commies on Whatsapp groups used to hype some character called 'Shailaja Teacher' who has no credentials other than being a CPI-M member while making fun of states like TN that have actual medical doctors as health minister and health secretary (IAS+MBBS) using some stupid BBC article. Such arrogance was duly rewarded with a fall it seems.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

Bart S wrote:
vijayk wrote:https://swarajyamag.com/politics/a-long ... asket-case
I remember how KL-commies on Whatsapp groups used to hype some character called 'Shailaja Teacher' who has no credentials other than being a CPI-M member while making fun of states like TN that have actual medical doctors as health minister and health secretary (IAS+MBBS) using some stupid BBC article. Such arrogance was duly rewarded with a fall it seems.
Actually, this came up during Edapadi's election campaign and some supporter actually called out "Kerala trouser kizhingidichu' :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Literally, Kerala's trousers got torn. :(( :((
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

https://www.facebook.com/BBCnewsHindi/v ... 064063141/
Lol pakis resorting to their usual begging
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/asia/cor ... index.html
Pakistan battles tsunami of Covid-19 patients with few vaccines in sight
"The vaccine is not here in this country for the foreseeable future," says Dr. Nashwa Ahmad, Coordinator of Covid Services and Research and Development at South City Hospital.
"That means our health care workers still have to continue to do their jobs, (and) endless hours, without the protection of the vaccine.
"A vaccine would definitely have given us the additional boost we needed to continue on with fighting the disease."
The hospital has been overwhelmed with "a tsunami of patients," Ahmad says. The three Covid-19 ICU wards are full, and more patients are waiting in ambulances outside.
"We are full, we have patients waiting, we have families who are suffering, we have patients at home, sick patients at home, patients who are on oxygen, we just don't have space in hospitals," she says.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

@EgrowFoundation webenair, by Prof Ricardo Housman of Harvard, on india
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Is there any authoratative source on how much vaccine India is exporting? In volume as well as $ terms.

After some googling:

- Pfizer vaccine costs $20.
- J&J around $10.
- Astra Zeneca (SII India) $5.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

There was these two evolutionary biologists from Princeton Univ, Heather Heying & Bret Weinstein, on this week's Bill Maher show. Both of them strongly suspect & believe that Covid was a lab made virus. They believe that this virus was found in bats but the theory put out by China & WHO that this virus came to human contact via wet markets in Wuhan is all hogwash. They think there are certain characteristics in this virus that makes is very suspicious of being manipulated in the lab for certain functions like human transmission etc. Early on since it was Trump or Trump admin (at least in US) who were suggesting that this could be a lab made virus, it was politicised from the get go and dismissed as a conspiracy theory & was never revisited. It the possibility was considered more strongly and pressure were exerted on the Chinese to reveal what they know about the virus, our strategy on the battle of Covid & vaccine could have been better tailored.

Anyways, Amber G could shed more light on their credentials etc.

The above video just contains the segment on their hypothesis that this could be a lab made virus. Earlier on, both of them said they would be more comfortable with vaccines like Oxford rather than the newer mRNA based :D

Anyways, if its true that this was indeed a Wuhan lab experiment gone wrong...then Chinese need to pay heavily but I doubt it will happen considering EU has probably double downed their trade engagements with China & APAC etc. want to engage more with China and finally the newer US admin would not be that confrontational with Chinese...so they may very well get away.
Last edited by Zynda on 31 Jan 2021 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Today I got my Moderna first shot. They also tested me for COVID to rule out if I have it. I do not know if this is the norm in the rest of the country.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Zynda wrote:There was these two evolutionary biologists from Princeton Univ, Heather Heying & Bret Weinstein, on this week's Bill Maher show. Both of them strongly suspect & believe that Covid was a lab made virus. They believe that this virus was found in bats but the theory put out by China & ...
Look at the comment section of that video. It's literally an army of CCP bots and trolls.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.opindia.com/2021/01/china-c ... ill-gertz/
Expert on Chinese security affairs Bill Gertz makes explosive revelations on Coronavirus origins, reveals China had discovered 2000 viruses
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

saip wrote:Today I got my Moderna first shot. They also tested me for COVID to rule out if I have it. I do not know if this is the norm in the rest of the country.

I think they are trying to discern between managing infection and managing symptoms that follow. I am not sure if this is mental gymnastics by pharmas or the science behind the vaccine. For example, this congressman's case raised questions

https://kyma.com/cnn-us-politics/2021/0 ... for-virus/
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

Now that it has been decided that it is a mystery and covid virus preference not to affect brown people, we will know the results of vaccine distribution in a month or two :

Here is VAMS (vaccine administration system US):
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/0 ... -problems/
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Bakis finally will get hold of India made vaccine (may be for free??) without the need to beg from India :evil:

Pakistan secures 17 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine through COVAX - govt health advisor
Pakistan’s government has secured 17 million doses AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine under the COVAX scheme, a government health official said on Saturday....
COVAX, the global initiative to ensure rapid and equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines for all countries.

COVAX Announces additional deals to access promising COVID-19 vaccine candidates; plans global rollout starting Q1 2021
COVAX now has agreements in place to access nearly two billion doses of several promising vaccine candidates, and laid the groundwork for further doses to be secured through contributions from donors

These agreements mean that all COVAX’s 190 participating and eligible economies will be able to access doses to protect vulnerable groups in the first half of 2021. At least 1.3 billion donor-funded doses will be made available to 92 economies eligible for the Gavi COVAX AMC, targeting up to 20% population coverage by the end of the year.

Funding raised in 2020 and early pledges toward 2021 targets, alongside these agreements, offer clearest pathway yet to ending the acute phase of the pandemic globally by the end of 2021.
The full list of deals that have so far been secured by COVAX on behalf of the Facility is as follows:

- 170 million doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford candidate, via an advance purchase agreement between Gavi and AstraZeneca, and enabled by a partnership agreement with CEPI to fund scale-out of manufacturing
- 200 million doses (and options for up to 900 million more) of the AstraZeneca/Oxford or Novavax candidates, via an agreement between Gavi, the Serum Institute of India, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- 500 million doses of the Janssen candidate, via a memorandum of understanding with Johnson & Johnson
- 200 million doses of the Sanofi/GSK vaccine candidate, via a statement of intent between Gavi, Sanofi and GSK
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Vaccines from COVAX facility seem to be free for 92 low income countries which include Pakistan and also India. So those 17 million doses for Pakistan will be free to it.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

balajis.com
@balajis

If India can really pull off 10M vaccinations per day, then even with 1.3B people it’ll be protected from this wave of COVID in about 4 months.

I wouldn’t have believed that possible, but Aadhar & Reliance Jio prove execution capability & provide infra to help enable this.
Rajeev Mantri. @RMantri

India has been honing the vaccination process flow for the last two weeks.

Daily vaccination rate to escalate 50x, from an average of 200,000 per day to ~10 million per day (not a typo). That’s a scale unheard of anywhere in the world.
India's COVID-19 vaccination platform readied to handle 10 million shots daily:
Official https://cna.asia/36qSLdE
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Considering that UK was able to pull off 600K shots today, I fully expect India to at least get to 6M a day once everything is running smoothly.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

saip wrote:Today I got my Moderna first shot. They also tested me for COVID to rule out if I have it. I do not know if this is the norm in the rest of the country.
You broke down and took the vaccine? You posted saying that you were still debating because the vaccine was pushed through in haste by former President Trump.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Vayutuvan wrote:
You broke down and took the vaccine? You posted saying that you were still debating because the vaccine was pushed through in haste by former President Trump.
:(( :(( :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :(( :((
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Missed PR opportunity when covidshield landed in SA in an Emirates plane.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Sobering thought that coronavirus vaccinations might become a periodic necessity.

UK orders extra 40m doses of Valneva vaccine
The government says it will give flexibility should people need revaccinating next winter or beyond.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

^^UK has ordered over 400 million (some of them one dose regimen) for 63 million population. Are they planning vaccination till 2023?
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

^^This hoarding of vaccine is what’s causing global shortage. Not sure why most developed nations are hoarding multiple times over their population. Maybe they know something that we don’t know.
Skanda
BRFite

Post by Skanda »

vimal wrote: Not sure why most developed nations are hoarding multiple times over their population.
Maybe because of their rules and bureaucracy.
Thousands of Covid-19 vaccines wind up in the garbage because of fed, state guidelines
Why is this happening? Covid-19 vaccines have a short shelf life once they are thawed out for use, Jha said. And because of federal and state mandates, hospitals and other health care providers would rather risk a dose going bad than give it to somebody who isn't scheduled to get a shot.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

vimal wrote:^^This hoarding of vaccine is what’s causing global shortage. Not sure why most developed nations are hoarding multiple times over their population. Maybe they know something that we don’t know.
could it be due to wastage in transportation/expiry etc?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02450-x

may be donation to other countries..
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

ArjunPandit wrote: could it be due to wastage in transportation/expiry etc?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02450-x

may be donation to other countries..
Or maybe it's the toilet paper syndrome, for all we know. The UK will need to see a fourth wave to really justify the need for so many vaccines. Their third wave is down.

X-Post from politics thread:
chetak wrote:Be It Farmers Protest, Covid Deaths or Vaccine Drive, Global Media’s Shrill Headlines Fail the Credibility Test

Be It Farmers Protest, Covid Deaths or Vaccine Drive, Global Media’s Shrill Headlines Fail the Credibility Test

An out-of-touch global media, suffering from a colonial hangover, should mend their ways or risk irrelevance.

On March 13 last year, the UK-based newspaper The Independent published an alarming headline about the “horror story of virus mismanagement” in India. They were reporting on India’s first confirmed Covid death. At that time, the death toll in India stood at one while countries such as Italy were averaging over a hundred deaths each day. You can’t miss the barely concealed, morbid undertone in the headline. Why aren’t more Indians dying?
Thanks! I've been looking for the story behind that headline, which I distinctly remember. But I associated it with the BBC and so my google searches yielded zilch. So it was the Independent. This story must be archived and their snouts must be periodically rubbed in it.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... d-19-cases
The Mystery Of India's Plummeting COVID-19 Cases
But four months later, India's coronavirus numbers have plummeted. Late last month, on Jan. 26, the country's Health Ministry confirmed a record low of about 9,100 new daily cases — in a country of nearly 1.4 billion people. It was India's lowest daily tally in eight months. On Monday, India confirmed about 11,000 cases.

"It's not that India is testing less or things are going underreported," says Jishnu Das, a health economist at Georgetown University. "It's been rising, rising — and now suddenly, it's vanished! I mean, hospital ICU utilization has gone down. Every indicator says the numbers are down."

Scientists say it's a mystery. They're probing why India's coronavirus numbers have declined so dramatically — and so suddenly, in September and October, months before any vaccinations began.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

sudarshan wrote:
Thanks! I've been looking for the story behind that headline, which I distinctly remember. But I associated it with the BBC and so my google searches
yielded zilch. So it was the Independent. This story must be archived and their snouts must be periodically rubbed in it.
nothing new for them..let them turn into mini paxtan and khalistan...while they keep on upgrading unst for a space relaunch dream for oneweb
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The only thing remarkable about banerji’s article is that some one has published it.

I can report that the rising standards of India now and China previously causes angst among the evangelicals.

For the obnoxious reason that it makes the endtimes more remote. As Indian quality of life parameters improve, the return of the king is jeopordised.

Believe it or not.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

vijayk wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... d-19-cases
But four months later, India's coronavirus numbers have plummeted. Late last month, on Jan. 26, the country's Health Ministry confirmed a record low of about 9,100 new daily cases — in a country of nearly 1.4 billion people. It was India's lowest daily tally in eight months. On Monday, India confirmed about 11,000 cases.

"It's not that India is testing less or things are going underreported," says Jishnu Das, a health economist at Georgetown University. "It's been rising, rising — and now suddenly, it's vanished! I mean, hospital ICU utilization has gone down. Every indicator says the numbers are down."

Scientists say it's a mystery. They're probing why India's coronavirus numbers have declined so dramatically — and so suddenly, in September and October, months before any vaccinations began.
Surprised that Lauren Frayer wrote that article without the the mandatory caste, cow, Hindutva, RSS buzzwords.
I don't understand why none of these reports mention the months long national lockdown at a very early stage; along with very strong messaging from the very top for this turn of events. Also, nobody wanted freedom there except for the stupid jamaatis.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

vijayk wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... d-19-cases

There is no mystery.

NPR are Chablis drinking socialists. What these idiots are looking for are western answers. They’re asking why are these dirty brown people not dying like rats? Lockdowns, masks, immunity and virus mutation are all excuses. The reality is that India is treating this disease like ANY other infectious disease with success. They are finding that treatment, although not 100% effective, is a better solution than prevention is what the west must realize. These same western idiots thought that AIDS, SARS, Bird Flu, Zika, etc. would devastate India. Well...guess what, it didn’t and neither will Covid-19.