Armoured Vehicles: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Re: Armoured Vehicles: News & Discussion

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Overview of Arjun Mk 1A major upgrades. Very informative.

From today's dedication of the Arjun Mk 1A to the nation by PM Modi. Also very informative.

--Atma Nirbhar Bharat--
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

HESH is like cowdung awesome description for AAs like me :)
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

The RWS on the Mk1A looks particularly interesting ., is this fully automatic., if so what sensors are slaved to this ? ., can this be used as a missile defence ?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The most interesting topic in the video was about auto-loader. The design head categorically says IA Generals insists on 4 men crew! Yet at the same time send CVRDE on a wild goose chase with reducing weight!

This shows how Armor guys are least interested in improving Arjun. They don't want auto-loader. They don't want to experiment with a 2 crew design nothing... only obsolete T90 design and gun. :roll:
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

@TonboImaging
Hearty congratulations to
@DRDO_India
for successful handover of the Arjun MBT MK 1 A to the #IndianArmy integrated with our indigenously designed and developed EOFCS for 12.7 mm RCWS onboard.
@cmdbel

@adgpi
#atmanirbharBharat
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

nam wrote:The most interesting topic in the video was about auto-loader. The design head categorically says IA Generals insists on 4 men crew! Yet at the same time send CVRDE on a wild goose chase with reducing weight!

This shows how Armor guys are least interested in improving Arjun. They don't want auto-loader. They don't want to experiment with a 2 crew design nothing... only obsolete T90 design and gun. :roll:
Yes. totally.

Design Head also indicates directly that don't compare Arjun with T90. It's in a different class and comparable to Abrams, Merkava.

The interview is very revealing.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I don't think we have the means to transport Arjun on the LAC, or do we? if we can, then some 100 of Arjuns in Depsang plane will conclusively and decisively close any option for China.
Last edited by fanne on 15 Feb 2021 06:30, edited 2 times in total.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

fanne wrote:I don't think we have the means to transport Arjun on the LAC, or do we?
Do we need to?
And no we do not have a way to transport to LAC.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

This is a day that we on BRF have been waiting for maybe 10 years now. 8)

Previous member Jcage must be very happy today. :wink:
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Only 118? How many T90s have been ordered?
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Vivek K wrote:Only 118? How many T90s have been ordered?
Boss, just for one day can you shake off the pessimism please?

Arjun Mk1A order immediately following the LCA Mk1A order. Reason enough to be happy for one day. There was a time when we had given up hope for either one.

Think positive. Since this is Mk1A, it is just an interim step towards Mk2 which will be ordered in big numbers. At least I can hope, can't I?

Cheers
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Yes, lets be happy for some time. many of us had given hope that Mk 1A would ever be inducted. i know its small numbers but for reference, south Korean k2 black panther had an order of just 260.

whats next for MBT now ? is the Army moving on to FRCV or do we now need a Light and heavy tank based on our experience in Ladhak.
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

Kakkaji wrote:
Vivek K wrote:Think positive. Since this is Mk1A, it is just an interim step towards Mk2 which will be ordered in big numbers. At least I can hope, can't I?
Cheers
This "big order" never arrives from Army or airforce. They order a token number for the current version, hinting that there will be "big orders" for the next version. When MK2 arrives, they will order a token number, hinting there will be big orders for MK3. When MK3 comes, they will order a token number, hinting there will be big orders for MK4. Same thing happening with LCA. The Airforce Chief is already hinting at limited numbers for LCA MK2 and big orders for AMCA.

Indian Generals are always chasing the bird in the bush rather than getting something in hand now that can be used to actually fight someone. The Chinese I presume will be easily thwarted by showing them the brochure for the next version.
Last edited by sanjayc on 15 Feb 2021 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Atmavik wrote:
whats next for MBT now ? is the Army moving on to FRCV or do we now need a Light and heavy tank based on our experience in Ladhak.
Prey to whichever god you worship that the army doesn't order 2000 T 14 as an emergency purchase. To deal with the emerging situation.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Philip wrote:India teady to order upto 500 T-14 Armatas? News report IDN I think. If true, huge committment to counter PRC and Pak offensively.
That's funny. The Russians themselves haven't inducted any T-14's yet. Big hot-air plans to buy 2300 T-14's have now come down to....100 with none delivered to Army units so far. :lol:
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

What are the envisioned differences between mk1a and mk2
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Anujan wrote:What are the envisioned differences between mk1a and mk2
There is unlikely to be a Mk2 unless the IA commits to large orders. It is pointless to keep wasting time and resources in endless development just to receive token orders. But if it does happen, a new indigenous engine would be welcome along with an APS. There were reports about the engine being developed recently.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

As I understand it, we field 2400 T72 which would need to be replaced at some point. Hopefully people will see the writing on the wall vis-a-vis imports.

It'll be great if we can develop a tank that is networked with uavs, attack helos and missile carriers like NAMICA.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Kakkaji wrote:....

Arjun Mk1A order immediately following the LCA Mk1A order. Reason enough to be happy for one day. There was a time when we had given up hope for either one.

Think positive. Since this is Mk1A, it is just an interim step towards Mk2 which will be ordered in big numbers. At least I can hope, can't I?

Cheers
Phoren arms pandemic on our Defence forces slowing receding in 2021 !!
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

fanne wrote:I don't think we have the means to transport Arjun on the LAC, or do we? if we can, then some 100 of Arjuns in Depsang plane will conclusively and decisively close any option for China.
Step 1: Drive a heavy crane there.
Step 2: Disassemble the tank into turret and chasis.
Step 3: Reassemble on site.
Step 4: Kick T99A butt.

But seriously, I don't think our T90's APFSDS is capable of busting through a T99A's frontal armor. Not sure how good the current APFSDS on Arjun is.

Armor is one area which we have badly neglected in the past decade.
Last edited by sudeepj on 15 Feb 2021 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Pratyush wrote:
Atmavik wrote:
Prey to whichever god you worship that the army doesn't order 2000 T 14 as an emergency purchase. To deal with the emerging situation.

We pray to God Narsimha(wish we name our next MBT). i really hope its not T 14. time for Russian maal is over. we should develop something like the Japanese type 10.

PS: my childhood dream was to be a Tankman but sadly I failed. my dad would take me to play on this Pakistani M 47 Patton tank

https://cushtravel.com/patton-tank-hyderabad/
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

4 Armd Regts on Arjun’s out of 40 or 50.
If you were an Armd Corps offer where would you like to serve knowing your war fighting doctrines are based on the T series - which is unlikely to change..
Interesting times and this small order shows that the Army still is not convinced about a heavy tank today else we should have had about 300 on order with a plan to upgrade the Mk1
chetonzz
BRFite

Post by chetonzz »

MK1A firing without any shaking :-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: is impressive no?...i have seen videos of T-90 and chinese tanks shaking after firing...ABRAMS is also a smooth firing one

at 6:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVjzFF19yM
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Desi production is a major obstacle to achieving greater % of home made products.Slow T-90 local production resulted in the last/ final order for 480+ T-90s in knocked down condition to be assembled at Avadi. The backlog of T-72 upgrades and T-90 production has to be completed before we can get large- scale production of A-1A/B MBTs .Has any timeframe been mentioned about the 1As? How long did the A-1s take? UVZ probably have the highest rate of AV production in the world. Avadi annual production may be hidden in some old CAG report,but for around 400+ Arjuns to be built to recover dev. costs, at least 100+ Arjun tanks/ yr. should be the minimum ROP. Other AVs being built
extra.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Philip wrote:Desi production is a major obstacle to achieving greater % of home made products.Slow T-90 local production resulted in the last/ final order for 480+ T-90s in knocked down condition to be assembled at Avadi. The backlog of T-72 upgrades and T-90 production has to be completed before we can get large- scale production of A-1A/B MBTs .Has any timeframe been mentioned about the 1As? How long did the A-1s take? UVZ probably have the highest rate of AV production in the world. Avadi annual production may be hidden in some old CAG report,but for around 400+ Arjuns to be built to recover dev. costs, at least 100+ Arjun tanks/ yr. should be the minimum ROP. Other AVs being built
extra.
You need orders to get production, Russia/Soviets did that from the days of the BT-7, T-26, T-34, we know how BT-7 and T-26 fared against German Anti Tank artillery/Panzer -3 etc and lots of T-34's were lost but they enabled a production eco system- if want to win wars you have to produce things locally.

Countries that have relied on imported weapons never really win wars, our 1971 war was an exception- Soviet Largesse from Petya Boats with Styx, Su-7B and Mig-21 in nos at very friendlship prices, but that era is now clearly over.

But then we had do things like stop successful Counter Air operations against PAF Rafiqui in Shorkot Road cause the SU-7s had only 3 drop tanks per aircraft and used them up in 2 days of raids. Thats where a local production system enables numbers to win wars.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

ks_sachin wrote: Interesting times and this small order shows that the Army still is not convinced about a heavy tank today else we should have had about 300 on order with a plan to upgrade the Mk1
There was a video from the Chinese, which showed Type99 near South Pangong! I don't know what else will be required to convince them.

Armor corps doesn't want Arjun. MK1A is been inducted after giving out order for 464 T90. So they are confident of Arjun not blocking T90 induction and the political winds that GoI will not tolerate more T90, while letting Arjun rot.

Arjun's weight can be reduced, by including a autoloader. But IA wants 4 men and T90 weight. No country has ever produced such a tank. :roll:
Last edited by nam on 15 Feb 2021 15:03, edited 2 times in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

If they aren't going to buy a large number of Arjun's they should atleast move heaven and earth to get decent ammunition for the T-90's. The existing 3BM44 "Mango" FSAPDS ammo we use will fare poorly against the Type-99.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Our Armor corps is a "good enough" entity. Pak get AK, we get T90 with similar penetration. Arjun is not required, because Mango is "good enough" . Till couple of years back Chinese were not a threat. So light tanks were not required.

There was no funding for home grown sabot rounds because the mango rounds were "good enough". Now that Pak has inducted VT4 and the Chinese are showing off Type 15, things have "suddenly" started moving.

There is no interest in overmatch, even if the tech is available in the country. It is always about "good enough".

Sometimes, i really it is true, what one gentleman once said. "India Pak armor warfare is a communal riot with tanks".
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

nam wrote:...
Sometimes, i really it is true, what one gentleman once said. "India Pak armor warfare is a communal riot with tanks".
:lol:

There used to be a dedicated thread for MBT Arjun (like there is for the Tejas). Can't see it now.. Guess many BRFites too weren't convinced that it would make it :(

Over the past decade seeing the progress (yes we all wish it was faster) i have wished for dedicated threads for the Tejas, the Arjun, the LCH,.. hopefully with future iterations of the threads having posts about their export orders. A decade ago it seemed almost to be wishful dreams, now it has metamorphosed into hopeful wishes.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

ks_sachin wrote:
fanne wrote:I don't think we have the means to transport Arjun on the LAC, or do we?
Do we need to? And no we do not have a way to transport to LAC.
Technically, yes, the new C-17s can lift an Arjun each from Chandigarh and land in Leh. "Do we need to?" is the more important question. From a purely military perspective, the Arjuns provide marginal utility. But there can be strong political reasons to move them as a signaling mechanism. At the end of the day, war is politics by other means.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

With --Atma Nirbhar Bharat-- slogan and PM himself making the personal push for Arjun Mk.1A, the IA generals (armored) will be under pressure to order more of Arjuns and its variants. No more T-series from here onwards ... at least not under the current GoI. The generals will have to directly answer to the PM why T-series MBT, why not Arjun? He came, he saw, he rode, he inducted. Very clear message. Enough said.
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

srai wrote:With --Atma Nirbhar Bharat-- slogan and PM himself making the personal push for Arjun Mk.1A, the IA generals (armored) will be under pressure to order more of Arjuns and its variants. No more T-series from here onwards ... at least not under the current GoI. The generals will have to directly answer to the PM why T-series MBT, why not Arjun? He came, he saw, he rode, he inducted. Very clear message. Enough said.
It will take 3 years from the date of order for first tank to roll out and at least 3 more years for order to be completed. In other words, DGMF can/will sit tight for next 6 years. This monkey is off their back for next 6 years and then rinse repeat with another token order.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

srai wrote:With --Atma Nirbhar Bharat-- slogan and PM himself making the personal push for Arjun Mk.1A, the IA generals (armored) will be under pressure to order more of Arjuns and its variants. No more T-series from here onwards ... at least not under the current GoI. The generals will have to directly answer to the PM why T-series MBT, why not Arjun? He came, he saw, he rode, he inducted. Very clear message. Enough said.
You want to bet?
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

What is the radome like structure on the left hand side of the Mk1A turret (the side that doesnt have the ERA)? It looks like some kinds of sensor, but I havent seen any description of what exactly it is.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ParGha how does the 4 man crew impact the structure of the Armd Regt?
Also do we know where these new tanks will go?
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

ParGha wrote: Technically, yes, the new C-17s can lift an Arjun each from Chandigarh and land in Leh. "Do we need to?" is the more important question. From a purely military perspective, the Arjuns provide marginal utility. But there can be strong political reasons to move them as a signaling mechanism. At the end of the day, war is politics by other means.
I do not know enough about the topography of Ladhak, roads capacity, etc to comment, but wouldn't Arjun maul T-99 where as T-90 can barely be equal. Now Tanks do not have to fight tanks, perhaps helicopter, loitering munitions, ATGMs are a better tool, but in Depsang all said and done, when the balloon goes up, there will be tank vs tank fight. If Arjun is not constrained due to logistics vis a vis T-90 (this is the most decisive if), it will do much more than be marginally better, it can crush T-99 in 1-1 (T-90 may not) and prove decisive. At least it will increase chicoms logistic tail, they have to carry much more to neutralize the Arjun than the T-90.

I am not sure at 68 tonne (vs 46 tonne of T 90 and 51 tonnes of T-99) can Arjun go in all the terrain where the fight will be? That may be the most decisive factor.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Weight - ground pressure of Arjun is less than the tin can. In the hills Arjun would be fine once flown there and beat the cr$p of the Chinese equipment.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I don't understand the rationale of flying tanks to a battlefield for fighting in the Indian context.

If the battlefield is tankable then build road connectivity to it. Because tanks don't exist in isolation. They also need fuel and ammunition to sustain themselves.

Roads makes it easy for both. Also if the Indian army can move other logistics by road then tanks can be moved by roads as well.

If they cannot be moved by roads. It would effect the enemy as well. As they cannot achieve and exploit the breakthrough as they will have no space for exploitation.

Atgm fire team will have to hold the line.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

I don't understand why the Chinese had 200 tanks in the area while we're fiddling around.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Pratyush wrote: If they cannot be moved by roads. It would effect the enemy as well. As they cannot achieve and exploit the breakthrough as they will have no space for exploitation.
I doubt the Chinese were looking to exploit breakthroughs and intrude in deep. They would have problems protecting their LoC's. But even a defeat and setback at the LAC itself would entail loss of land and lives not to mention make our existing roads and infra unviable. They have to be stopped at or near the point of contact.