Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
nandakumar
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by nandakumar »

V_Raman wrote:I am waiting for Covaxin. Given the mutations - that might be humanity's best hope. After the unncessary comments by Serum Institute head - I hope/wish he is forced to manufacture Covaxin to increase production...
Two of my relatives are doctors and thus were eligible to receive vaccine on priority. They both opted for Covaxin. One of them experienced mild after effects after the first dose. The other was okay. Now two days ago both had had their second dose and are doing fine.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Nandakumar: what are their locations ? Could you please ask them to describe the procedures and logistics they saw or knew of ? It would be really interesting to know how logistics are being scared up since it would indicate how well the daily vaccination counts could rise.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

darshan wrote:...
Patanjali’s Coronil gets Ayush Ministry certification, Baba Ramdev releases research on ‘first evidence-based Ayurvedic medicine against COVID’
https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/patanja ... ine-covid/
Couldn't find any formally published information other below...

From (Trial Registry) Impact of effect of Ayurvedic treatment on novel Corona virus disease
COVID-19 infection is known to affect individuals with weak immunity more severely. Therefore, enhancing immunity is definitely one of the ways the doctors across the globe have been using for treating COVID-19 cases.

The study is Interventional Randomized parallel group placebo controlled, Single Centric trial in which Impact of Indian traditional Ayurvedic treatment regime for nCoV-2 (COVID-19) will be accessed.

To combat COVID-19 virus with Ayurveda, we have screened close to 1000 phytochemicals from more than 100 medicinal plants, in-sillico. We looked for their binding affinities to COVID-19 essential proteins and host protein interactions. We have discovered that natural phytochemicals in Ashwagandha, Giloy and Tulsi indeed have potentials to combat COVID-19 and its pathogenicity.
An Effective Ayurvedic Medicinal Regime Based Immune-boosting Remedial System to Prevent COVID-19

Withanone from Withania somnifera May Inhibit Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Entry by Disrupting Interactions between Viral S-Protein Receptor Binding Domain and Host ACE2 Receptor
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Suraj wrote:Nandakumar: what are their locations ? Could you please ask them to describe the procedures and logistics they saw or knew of ? It would be really interesting to know how logistics are being scared up since it would indicate how well the daily vaccination counts could rise.
My sister and my brother-in-law got their first covaxin dose 3 weeks back and their booster dose is due next week. Both live and work in TN , they are both doctors and work in one of the largest hospitals in the state. My sister experienced mild symptoms of local pain and dizziness for 3 days after the first dose, my BIL had no after effects. Despite working for a very large hospital, the hospital management was one of the last in their city to order vaccines for the staff given that most of the staff members including some senior doctors were reluctant to take the vaccine. Given the size of the staff, each was given a day and time for the vaccine, if both husband and wife work in the same hospital then they were given different days just in case one has an adverse reaction. I can inquire more about the logistics but all i saw was picture being taken while getting jabbed, and another pic taken with a placard that read "I got my covid vaccine" or something like that.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Thanks for that description, Ambar. You mention "the hospital management was one of the last in their city to order vaccines" . That sounds interesting. Is it up to the hospital itself to order ? Doesn't some nodal agency manage disbursement such that this sort of thing doesn't wait for the hospital itself ? Or maybe the hospital needs to inform some entity that they're ready ? It would be interesting to learn a little more about what happens behind the scenes. Whom does the hospital make the order to - SII ? How long from order or confirmation to receipt ? Things like that.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states ... 66376.html

Covaxin effective against mutant virus strains: ICMR
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Director General of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Dr Balram Bhargava on Thursday said the interim results of the ongoing clinical trials indicated that the Covaxin, developed in the country, will be effective against the mutated Covid-19 virus strains reported from the United Kingdom, South Africa and Brazil.
Hidden in the same report slyly is this from the 100% educated commie land.

Health officers stop Covid-infected person at Kochi airport
Kochi: The health authorities intervened and stopped a person, who tried to travel from Kochi airport after covering up his Covid-19 positive test result. The district health officers stopped the person with the help of CISF personnel at the airport, an official release said. “There were similar instances in the past too when persons, who tested positive for the virus, tried to travel from the airport violating Covid-19 protocol,” the release said. So far, at least six persons have been restrained from boarding flights. They were sent back to their respective districts.

Travelling after getting infected with Covid-19 is a punishable offence under the Epidemic Diseases Act as it puts the airport staff and co-passengers at the risk of contracting the disease, the district medical officer said. “The public should be extremely aware of the consequences of not following Covid-19 protocols. If people do not follow the rules, we will be forced to take legal measures,” said the officer. “Those infected with fever, cold and cough should avoid public interactions. The symptomatic persons relying on self-medication has also led to the fast spread of the disease,” the officer said.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

New Covid strain in MH

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 100238.cms
E484Q strain found in Amravati is similar to a mutation (E484K) found in SA, Brazil, early pneumonia, easier transmissibility
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Suraj wrote:Thanks for that description, Ambar. You mention "the hospital management was one of the last in their city to order vaccines" . That sounds interesting. Is it up to the hospital itself to order ? Doesn't some nodal agency manage disbursement such that this sort of thing doesn't wait for the hospital itself ? Or maybe the hospital needs to inform some entity that they're ready ? It would be interesting to learn a little more about what happens behind the scenes. Whom does the hospital make the order to - SII ? How long from order or confirmation to receipt ? Things like that.
I'm afraid i don't know how the ordering mechanism works but i kept asking them when they'll be vaccinated since both of them are HCWs and they said the management was in "wait and watch" mode because of the hesitancy of staff. Finally their hospital started vaccinating around 3 weeks ago and my sister/BIL were in the first batch but 3 days apart. In KAR where my family lives the district administrations have started door to door registration this week, they are yet to come to my neighborhood but i know that the process has started in my town. They are not giving dates (yet) but taking down the number of residents and their age.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Suraj wrote:Nandakumar: what are their locations ? Could you please ask them to describe the procedures and logistics they saw or knew of ? It would be really interesting to know how logistics are being scared up since it would indicate how well the daily vaccination counts could rise.
Sorry for the delayed response. Still recovering from my cataract surgery. Been permitted limited surfing time on the internet. Once a day for 30 mts. Guess what I ration it for!! To answer your question they are in Chennai. I think it is some kind of a Government database of doctors. They are into private practice. And when their turn came up, they went to the Government General Hospital. They were asked for their preference and they opted for Covaxin. They were all praise for the smooth conduct of the entire process. Beyond that I have no information. They are doing fine after their second dose, too.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Is it possible mutant strains haven't reached India or widespread there? We must exercise caution. India already has made it difficult for anyone to fly from SA & UK.
India has 1.3 billion people.
4 times that of the US.

What’s going on is just amazing and needs in depth immunologic studies. These are raw numbers!
https://twitter.com/VincentRK/status/13 ... 86050?s=20
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

#ayurveda come and save me. I don't want to take new vaccine every year.
https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/russia- ... in-humans/
According to the reports, the Russian scientists have now alerted about the looming threat of Avian Flu’s human transmission to the World Health Organization. “Information about the world’s first case of transmission of the avian flu (H5N8) to humans has already been sent to the World Health Organization,” said Anna Popova.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

The vaccination rollout is in trouble. While it may be ideal to distribute the vaccine according to priority, I think district hospitals should be allowed to start vaccinating any takers if there are shots available. Given the demographic that would avail of services at a district hospital, those vaccinations would overwhelmingly reach people who do not have flexible work situations.

About 50 per cent of 2.1 crore vaccine doses supplied used; many states stare at expiry
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

I mentioned in the political & strategic analysis thread that many in my circle are reluctant to take the vaccine. I am sure as the summer flu season approaches and cases begin to go up they'll eventually come around and get themselves vaccinated but until then the general "humain kuch nahi hoga" (nothing will happen to us) attitude, and the malicious propaganda against vaccine will continue to weigh heavily against the rollout.

Here's an example of careless reporting and propaganda

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/top- ... 53127.html

"Man dies 9 days after receiving covshield vaccine".

The man died of heart attack, he may have had existing heart condition or some other underlying condition. But because he had taken the vaccination 9 days ago, the headlines ties his natural death to the vaccine. Such news is enough to deter the fence sitters from coming forward and getting vaccinated.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

IndraD wrote:Is it possible mutant strains haven't reached India or widespread there? We must exercise caution. India already has made it difficult for anyone to fly from SA & UK.
India has 1.3 billion people.
4 times that of the US.

What’s going on is just amazing and needs in depth immunologic studies. These are raw numbers!
https://twitter.com/VincentRK/status/13 ... 86050?s=20
Look at the responses from Goras (or maybe chini/paki bots) all saying that India is underreporting cases or cases are not reported blah. Smugness of the white folks is just mind blowing.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

vera_k wrote:The vaccination rollout is in trouble. While it may be ideal to distribute the vaccine according to priority, I think district hospitals should be allowed to start vaccinating any takers if there are shots available. Given the demographic that would avail of services at a district hospital, those vaccinations would overwhelmingly reach people who do not have flexible work situations.

About 50 per cent of 2.1 crore vaccine doses supplied used; many states stare at expiry
This is the same in the US too - less than 50% of vaccines given in several places. People not showing up. Pharmacies are resorting to backup lists to ensure the vaccines are used and not discarded due to reaching storage expiry limit. This is one of the reasons why vaccines with better temperature stability are important. Gennova's candidate - India's first mRNA COVID vaccine that is stable at up to 2-8 degrees celsius or a normal fridge temperature - is going through Phase 1/2 now and hopefully will pass that and get EUA.

nandakumar: Thank you for the response and get well soon!
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

vimal wrote: Look at the responses from Goras (or maybe chini/paki bots) all saying that India is underreporting cases or cases are not reported blah. Smugness of the white folks is just mind blowing.
Yes, India is underreporting cases by a factor of 5. India is also underreporting deaths by the same factor. In fact, testing is also underreported. So is the population - it's actually 7 billion, not 1.4 billion. Same with vaccination. The number of Hindoo Gods and holy cows is also being underreported out of shame. There are actually 5 Modis, Indians are somehow getting away with claiming that they only have 1 horrible PM. The BBC will soon do an expose and reveal all this, and then it will be useless for Indians to pretend otherwise anymore.

Active cases gently rising in India. This is the first time in many months that there has been a sustained rise. It might be due to the state of stasis in the case count and deaths numbers, but in any case, a rise in active cases indicates a bigger pool of potential infections. I believe MH is starting to contribute more cases again now.

The supermodel was predicting an end to the epidemic in India by Feb. end. I think the actual numbers have fallen below the model predictions right now, so a flattening might be expected. 100 deaths India-wide per day is not that bad a stat, if it stays at that level. Realistically, I don't know if the virus can be snuffed out completely.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Suraj wrote:This is the same in the US too - less than 50% of vaccines given in several places. People not showing up. Pharmacies are resorting to backup lists to ensure the vaccines are used and not discarded due to reaching storage expiry limit.
Somewhat, but not exactly. One difference is that any vaccines available at the end of the day are given to people waiting in line even if they are not part of the population eligible otherwise. Here it seems as if vaccinations are being held back for months.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Unless of course you have the right connections. We know of several well connected families who are fully vaccinated already. I guess corruption will always be an issue with these things.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^ No need for corruption. You are allowed to claim you are part of a priority group by filling out and printing a web form. The vaccination sites are not allowed to question what is claimed.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Get Vaccinated To Defeat The Pandemic – It Is Absolutely Safe: Trust Me, I’m 94 - by Dr H V Hande, Swarajya

A nice article by the 94-yo former health minister of TN advocating vaccination, along with a summary of the challenges we faced as a country and how we overcome some of them. Nothing new that our regulars here don't know, but good to share. This one bit stood out for me though:
In 1947, Union Health Minister Rajkumari Amrit Kaur received Penicillin cases from Canadian Red Cross Society of Canada. In 1982, working with the Rotary Club of Madras, I, as Health Minister of Tamil Nadu received red measles and then later polio vaccines which helped us to eradicate polio from this part of the world.

A few days ago, I saw the Prime Minister of Canada contacting our Prime Minister for Covid- 19 vaccines. Indians don’t realise the importance of this development. From a seeker we have become a provider — a changing world order happening in our own life span. This is Atmanirbhar Bharat - which translates to 'self-reliant India' or 'self-sufficient India' — again, much to be proud of.
He signs off with:
Please don’t hesitate to have the vaccine. It is absolutely safe and made in India.

Jai Hind.
Read the full article via the link.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

vera_k wrote:
Suraj wrote:This is the same in the US too - less than 50% of vaccines given in several places. People not showing up. Pharmacies are resorting to backup lists to ensure the vaccines are used and not discarded due to reaching storage expiry limit.
Somewhat, but not exactly. One difference is that any vaccines available at the end of the day are given to people waiting in line even if they are not part of the population eligible otherwise. Here it seems as if vaccinations are being held back for months.
It is not possible to hold back vaccines for months in a place where the campaign itself is just over one month old . It is also not the case that anyone can join the waitlist in the US . The rules vary widely and there are no uniform rules .

However let’s try to focus on data driven analysis here . This is not the time or place to talk about corruption by rich families etc . If you are an HCW or know people who are, post what’s known from their firsthand experience.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Well, I have anecdotal information from my family who are surgeons. They have not ben vaccinated although they run a hospital. The reason I've been told is that the local person allocating and scheduling vaccinations allocated the shots to friends and family instead of the doctors in the town. While this can be discounted as 1 anecdote, you just have to look at the low number of vaccinations compared to the US after a month to conclude something is amiss.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

^^ One of my colleagues got the vaccine out of turn because his relative worked at a hospital. So there is some weight to this assertion.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

It is clear from the graphs alone that the government is not able to ramp up to 5 million a day rates as was initially projected. This may be due to vaccine hesitancy or a combination of factors.

Either the government launches an awareness campaign or it opens up to the next tier in the list such as over 65s.

Has Bharat Biotech provided details on its phase 3 trials yet? That may go some way to increasing the rates. Although that issue is more political than anything else
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Bharat biotech is supposed to come out with preliminary results within the next 2 weeks.

Blaming the low vaccination on vaccine hesitancy is a cop out, in my opinion.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

No... the government rules on who gets it are quite strict and given that it is being done as per central guidelines, states cannot deviate from it. So it has not been opened up yet. Plus given the politics already evident it is not as if the GoI will force HCW to get it.

The moment it is opened up, the rates will go up.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

GoI should start next phase of vaccinations.
People over 65.
Power / Telecom / other utilities / Banking employees. Essentially everyone who worked through first phases of lockdown.
chandrasekaran
BRFite

Post by chandrasekaran »

Also, children who are going to appear for their board exams in May.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Even in Momina's WB it is not easy to get the vaccine simply by bribing, or so I am told. My cousin is a physician in Kolkata and I asked him if it was possible to get it for the elderly mother of a friend who lives there. He said quite categorically that it was not possible to 'jump your turn' by bribing anybody. Granted, people in power can still get it for their own, but rampant corruption in vaccine distribution is not noticeable.

From the physicians in my family in Delhi, there is a lot of reluctance on the part of HCW to get it - they are waiting 'to see how others react to it'. Same thing as here in the US where I can't get the nurses I work with to take it. There is intense polarization, just like with the elections although it has nothing to do with Dem vs Repub in this matter. It seems to be an individual thing, with no rational explanation for it when asked.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

today got my 2nd dose both doses apart from neddle prick pain has been issue less.
am in UP sarkar Wuhan Virus monitoring team and a doctor so first phase vaccine. daughter is a medical student her 2nd dose is scheduled for day after tomorrow.
UP sarkar has a list of all health workers in state sarkari or otherwise appointment is messaged thriugh SMS apart from frank allergic history and G6PD deficiency no exemption. those with histories comorbidities are observed for 4 hours minimum.
there has been around 50k vaccine evaders till half an hour ago, beard scratching on what to do with these tomorrow morning.
police personnel safai karmchari are also in first phase.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Seems like we might be on the verge of 2nd wave in India...hopefully this is a temporary spike...lots of surge in crowding...apparently no discipline or restrictions being followed in functions, gatherings & weddings. I feel that either GoI and/or individual state governments should have stepped in and implemented restrictions on crowd size for various gatherings.

I do hope GoI & respective State Governments encourage WFH and online education (for schools & colleges which have reopened recently).

Anyways, if the wave continues, I am sure many of the HCWs who are hesitant to take vaccine would probably want it then...I was hoping that by March beginning vaccinations for elderly would have started. Seems like it may happen by end of March if we are lucky. GoI should start ramping up vaccination efforts on a war footing especially since we might be in the heels of further waves. BTW, it was Ambar who had stated earlier that India might see a 2nd wave by March and looks like it may well happen :(
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

This is why we need more people to vaccinated as quickly as possible:

Covid vaccines - 'spectacular' impact on serious illness
The first results of the UK vaccination programme suggests it is having a "spectacular" impact on preventing serious illness.

Research led by Public Health Scotland found at four weeks after the first dose, hospital admissions were reduced by 85% and 94% for the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs respectively.

It is the first sign of the real world impact of vaccination in the UK.

Figures for England are expected to be released later.

Among the over 80s, there was an overall 81% reduction in the numbers admitted to hospital.

The researchers did not look at the impact on transmission - whether people who were vaccinated passed it on - or whether immunity waned over time.

The preliminary data from the EAVE II project covers 1.14 million vaccinations given in Scotland between 8 December and 15 February.

The study looked at the numbers being admitted to hospital with Covid among this population and compared it to those admitted who were not vaccinated.

In total, there were just over 8,000 people who ended up in hospital, but only 58 were among the vaccinated group after the four-week mark.

So far most vaccines are wonderful job in preventing hospitalization and excess deaths.
Last edited by Uttam on 22 Feb 2021 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

The spike in active cases is troubling. After reaching a low of 136k (on Feb 12) it has gone past 150k now. Also, the 7 day average is nudging up during the past four days - 517,937,1152 and is at 1488 now. May be another lockdown to stop this trend?
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Well, everyone is happy to believe in herd immunity every time cases go down after crippling lockdowns. So what can you expect?

All those green shoots in economy depend on us not getting embroiled in another covid wave. It is the most immediate threat facing the country and it's economy. Not to mention people's lives.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The schools and colleges have started in Jan. It is no co-incidence that numbers are starting to go up now. The same thing happened in Europe. The second wave were specially due to college kids.

GoI should start mass vaccination of high risk cities like Mumbai and Delhi or atleast aged group. Give the first dose to as many people as possible, like what UK is doing.

The pace is extremely slow.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I recall reading a news article recently stating that the government was doing the following:
1. Blanket immunization of HCWs
2. Mass vaccination beginning 28 Feb

However I cannot find this article. Regardless, the HCW vaccination has gone less smoothly than desired due to the reticence of HCWs in some cases, and vaccination logistics.

The government needs to take Jaggis critical views seriously, change tactics and focus on volume now, with special emphasis on people who are moving a lot in urban areas, ie young adults, professionals and the aged. Less focus on those who don’t move around much, eg housewives.

SII has already indicated that for a while they will focus on domestic orders, which suggests ramping up numbers soon. But that’s for the government to now focus on accomplishing. Every government has had to think on its feet and reorient plans due to the fluid situation and its time GoI did too.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Companies want to vaccinate their employees and they should be allowed to do so. this will be a good start to allow the private sector into the vaccination process. vaccinate those who want to0 and move the deniers to the end of the list.

https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavirus-o ... 2021-02-22
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Suraj wrote:
The government needs to take Jaggis critical views seriously, change tactics and focus on volume now, with special emphasis on people who are moving a lot in urban areas, ie young adults, professionals and the aged. Less focus on those who don’t move around much, eg housewives.
at the end of the day so called highly mobile return home and get in contact with so called old house wives staying home. it is people fault the other day there were 400 guests in a Banguluru wedding more than 280 found positive inclusive of Bride and groom this is for so called highly Yadookated all knowing supah dupah reech.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

niran wrote:at the end of the day so called highly mobile return home and get in contact with so called old house wives staying home. it is people fault the other day there were 400 guests in a Banguluru wedding more than 280 found positive inclusive of Bride and groom this is for so called highly Yadookated all knowing supah dupah reech.
Maybe, but the point is that the highly mobile keep the transmission rate high. We are talking about rising case counts here. A home bound housewife doesn't go transmit further like the highly mobile ones would. If the goal is to cut down case count growth, the mobile ones are what one aims at, not the ones who aren't moving much and will not propagate counts much beyond them.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Another day of ~650K vaccinations. The trend is inching higher now, but the pace needs to pick up above 1M vaccinations/day .

Total 11.8 million vaccinated.