Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Ambar »

There are many asymptomatics so it is hard to trace the source of infection. Majority of the cases i know in big cities are all apartment dwellers where some family gets the flu and in 2 weeks 1/4th of the building is now positive. Our overpopulated cities are the reason for our current situation where they are contributing >80% of the cases. In BLR, as hospitals have run out of beds, many have now taken to neighboring districts and are overwhelming the already lean healthcare infrastructure in those tier 2, tier 3 towns.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

jamwal wrote:How are healthy young people (less than 40 years) who had no known direct exposure to anyone infected, wearing masks, using sanitizer very liberally and staying home catching corona? Surprisingly large number of such cases in my Delhi circles.
BTW, any source for securing oxygen in New Delhi?
If they have genuinely stayed at home, someone they know (family, their kids going to school, friends,relatives, neighbors) have gone out.

It is just that they didn't their contacts, even while staying at home was already infected.

The level of interaction for a Indian family is much much higher compared to western family. A Indian family will not be spending an entire week, without meeting anyone, even if they staying at home.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Think of all the closed space, one can be in.

Home
Apartment blocks.
School/ college classrooms.
Offices
Public transport, packed trains & buses
Crowded Shops
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Staying at home isn't enough if you're worried about infection. Strict protocol need to followed for everything and everyone coming into home. If staying in busy area then certain air movement can also cause indoor air exchange situation. All possible given certain environmental conditions and tons of people staying nearby.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I believe the prevention method is similar to preventing a common flu. Follow the same methods you will use to prevent getting infected from a common flu.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

How long does it usually take from exposure to 1st symptoms to develop?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

jamwal wrote:How long does it usually take from exposure to 1st symptoms to develop?
My personal experience. It took around 3-4 days to show mild symptoms. It was around 7 days (before which I suspect I got the virus) by when I lost the senses of tastes and smell and also periodically had to take rest as body was getting weak. But all through out I also had running nose and cough; which I had assumed to be due to weather change.
PS: I generally have two rounds of cough & cold +running nose every year, when the season changes. Generally used to ignore it.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Suraj wrote:2.54 million vaccinations on Saturday, total 141 million
118.6 million first doses, 22.3 million fully vaccinated
As always, a very insightful article by you in Swarajyamag regarding delaying second dose. Thank you for your efforts to lead the conversation in the right direction.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

What is happening with Remidisivir? There seems to be huge black market. My brother in law's wife is in the hospital Guntur, AP and they can not get it. Someone has quoted 25k per injection (1.25 lakhs for five) and we have to arrange a car to get it from Hyderabad (180 km away).
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

Is there any study being done on what groups are particularly susceptible apart from usual 'elderly, frontline workers'? I keep reading the equal equal that crematoria are melting down and muslim graveyards running out of space. Yes, it has effected everyone but is the virus showing any particular bias based on race, community, cultural practices, social strata, nature of events/gatherings/festivals etc? Isnt it important to understand without fear of being politically incorrect?
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

saip wrote:What is happening with Remidisivir? There seems to be huge black market. My brother in law's wife is in the hospital Guntur, AP and they can not get it. Someone has quoted 25k per injection (1.25 lakhs for five) and we have to arrange a car to get it from Hyderabad (180 km away).
Primus, DrRatnadip should chime in. Other alternatives have been introduced in the protocol. I have yet to find a concrete study that says that remidisvir is applicable to majority of cases. I have been on it since early March when GJ decided to stick with it and not change protocol. GJ eventually did change it to include others.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Ivermectin and Fevipiravir added to clinical protocol management of Covid: Gujarat govt panel
https://www.deshgujarat.com/2021/04/22/ ... t-doctors/
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Total 31,74,688 vaccine doses were given till 8 pm today
The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country stands at 14,50,85,911 as per the 8 pm provisional report today.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Uttam wrote:
Suraj wrote:2.54 million vaccinations on Saturday, total 141 million
118.6 million first doses, 22.3 million fully vaccinated
As always, a very insightful article by you in Swarajyamag regarding delaying second dose. Thank you for your efforts to lead the conversation in the right direction.
Thanks a lot :) Too many people peddling too much nonsense lately.

PS: you might be interested in knowing that vaccine consumption data so far very closely track my stockpile estimate and projections from weeks ago. I might post an update at month end with full April data on Teetar .
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Too early to say but Mumbai is either stabilising or on a downward trend. There didn’t seem to be a shortage of oxygen in Mumbai either. Availability of beds is still tight but not impossible now. Testing capacity is still available: earlier results used to be same day but now is late next day. Still good enough.

Remdesivir is in short supply though. I still don’t get the fascination with this drug.

This is quite strange, the number ramping up and then ramping down quickly. We are missing something...
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

^^ we are currently in a tough spot but this should get rid of any vaccine hesitancy. friends and family who were were earlier not sure are fully on board with getting the vaccine.

as vaccination opens up for all ages and states announcing free vaccine will put a strain on supply. do the states making free vaccine pledge have a plan ? or is it the usual cheap talk ?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Ramana posted this on Twitter. Please share as widely as you can:
Covid19 resource dashboard: medicines, O2, hospitals - numbers and contact information
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Tanaji wrote:Too early to say but Mumbai is either stabilising or on a downward trend. There didn’t seem to be a shortage of oxygen in Mumbai either. Availability of beds is still tight but not impossible now. Testing capacity is still available: earlier results used to be same day but now is late next day. Still good enough.

Remdesivir is in short supply though. I still don’t get the fascination with this drug.

This is quite strange, the number ramping up and then ramping down quickly. We are missing something...
No one knows if Remedesivir even works. Most studies seem to show it has low efficacy in severe cases. For all I know it could be placebo effect. It is just like throwing the kitchen sink and hoping it works.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/13 ... 2721588229
WASHINGTON (AP) — AP Exclusive: US to begin sharing up to 60M AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine doses with world after federal safety review.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

saip wrote:What is happening with Remidisivir? There seems to be huge black market. My brother in law's wife is in the hospital Guntur, AP and they can not get it. Someone has quoted 25k per injection (1.25 lakhs for five) and we have to arrange a car to get it from Hyderabad (180 km away).
Remidisivr zero effect on mortality and minimal effect in reducing the overall length of the hospital stay. I am surprised that so much emphasis is given on a drug that has so little effect. Gilead sciences folks must be shitting their pants by cracking up seeing the idiocy in India.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

durairaaj wrote:
jamwal wrote:How are healthy young people (less than 40 years) who had no known direct exposure to anyone infected, wearing masks, using sanitizer very liberally and staying home catching corona? Surprisingly large number of such cases in my Delhi circles.
BTW, any source for securing oxygen in New Delhi?
Covering eyes is very important. This is not generally informed to the public. But medical professionals do wear them.

Wear zero power eyeglasses or face shield along with mask to protect.

If you are coming with close contact with many covid infected patients then covering eyes is very important. Don't know why it is not talked about more in the news. But faceshield or glasses is important.

The Chinese have also apparantly discovered that Covid can spread via farts. Not sure, how much of that is true.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

Here is my story.
We were very cautious since Jan 2020, the minute we learnt that a virus is spreading from China. Cancelled a trip overseas and suffered the costs of airtickets and hotel. Stayed indoors from mid-March till today. Got COVISHIELD for self on 1March and went with my wife for her shot on 1April. Started feeling queasy about 7 April, went for RTPCR on 10 April got positive report on 11 April, went for CT on 11 April, thankfully all normal, brilliant doctor advised home treatment, only vitamins, stayed bound in my bedroom, thankfully has an attached bathroom and a balcony!
BMC has been very proactive. Called and advised me not to venture out but remain in home isolation. Got calls twice a day, voice recording asking questions and if one answer is positive, a human calls. Arogya Setu turned Red automatically. BMC fellows came and affixed a banner outside my apartment, mini containment zone. Fortunately nothing untoward happened. My doctors monitored ny oxygen levels, Temperature, BP via whatsapp. Thank God, wife, son-in-law, daughter, son, granddaughter (kept me smiling at her antics), maid for their support. Gained 1.5 kg weight! Today am free. Doctor said can go to work. Arogya setu turned green from red.

Probably picked it up at the hospital when my wife got her shot. But we wore N95 masks and Shields and used sanitizers.

My wife had barely discernable symptoms but tested negative - we got her tested twice with a 3 day gap, from different labs.

Son had more symptoms but tested negative thrice, once with me and twice with my wife, all three tests spread over a week, different labs.

Maid tested negative too.

We all got blood tests done. CRP, D DIMER the lot. Thankfully other than me, the other 3 were normal, so it reinforced their negative RTPCR reports.

So I was the only patient, thank God.

We were taking vitamins daily since many years. But I am predisposed towards viral infections so maybe a slight bit lower immunity.

I think this virus is very virulent if your immunity is even a bit less and you are even slightly lax. Probably I touched my face on way back from the hospital after removing shield. We didn't remove masks in the car.

Vaccination may have helped. Ironically enough was scheduled for second dose on same day I tested positive!

Learning is to be super carefull.

Glad to be healthy again!
Last edited by VKumar on 27 Apr 2021 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

sohamn wrote: Remidisivr zero effect on mortality and minimal effect in reducing the overall length of the hospital stay. I am surprised that so much emphasis is given on a drug that has so little effect. Gilead sciences folks must be shitting their pants by cracking up seeing the idiocy in India.
File RTIs on the decision making is all I would say.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

VKumar wrote:Probably picked it up at the hospital when my wife got her shot. But we wore N95 masks and Shields and used sanitizers.

My wife had barely discernable symptoms but tested negative - we got her tested twice with a 3 day gap, from different labs.

Son had more symptoms but tested negative thrice, once with me and twice with my wife, all three tests spread over a week, different labs.
Thanks for this story, and glad you're well. This quoted part fits in with the research going on - this variant is VERY contagious and that is the single most important factor. If one person is sick, others can help support them, but if all are sick the risk of one or more people dying dramatically increases because sick people can't help each other well, or overload the medical system.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

darshan wrote:
Primus, DrRatnadip should chime in. Other alternatives have been introduced in the protocol. I have yet to find a concrete study that says that remidisvir is applicable to majority of cases. I have been on it since early March when GJ decided to stick with it and not change protocol. GJ eventually did change it to include others.
There is too much pressure from relatives to give remdesivir.. Its not always easy to convince them.. Remdesivir is unlikely to work in severly ill pts.. Unfortunately these are pts in whome govt wants us to use remdesivir.. It can be helpful if given little early when pt with happy hypoxia develops dyspnea , tachypnea and other signs of progression to more severe disease.. If we delay it remdesivir wont work..
Today number of positive cases in PCMC came down drastically from 2500-3000/day to around 1400 today.. I think we have crossed peak in MH..
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

DrRatnadip wrote: There is too much pressure from relatives to give remdesivir.. Its not always easy to convince them.. Remdesivir is unlikely to work in severly ill pts.. Unfortunately these are pts in whome govt wants us to use remdesivir.. It can be helpful if given little early when pt with happy hypoxia develops dyspnea , tachypnea and other signs of progression to more severe disease.. If we delay it remdesivir wont work..
Unfortunately there is too much misinformation on social media about this. People are already susceptible to believing all the nonsense that gets forwarded there but when the situation is desperate and they are fearing for the life of a loved one, the problem is altogether more acute. And the more people see desperate pleas by others for Remdesivir the more they believe that is is some sort of wonder drug and do the same thing if they are in that situation. It is a vicious circle.

The tragedy is that vaccine related misinformation and covid-conspiracy theories spread through the same social media channels earlier, feeding into people's vaccine hesitancy and also the earlier relaxed attitude people had in Feb-March when cases were lower. I often wonder how many lives were lost in this pandemic because of whatsapp forwards. It is unlikely we will ever know.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

DrRatnadip wrote:
darshan wrote: Primus, DrRatnadip should chime in. Other alternatives have been introduced in the protocol. I have yet to find a concrete study that says that remidisvir is applicable to majority of cases. I have been on it since early March when GJ decided to stick with it and not change protocol. GJ eventually did change it to include others.
There is too much pressure from relatives to give remdesivir.. Its not always easy to convince them.. Remdesivir is unlikely to work in severly ill pts.. Unfortunately these are pts in whome govt wants us to use remdesivir.. It can be helpful if given little early when pt with happy hypoxia develops dyspnea , tachypnea and other signs of progression to more severe disease.. If we delay it remdesivir wont work..
Today number of positive cases in PCMC came down drastically from 2500-3000/day to around 1400 today.. I think we have crossed peak in MH..
Dr Ratnadip, can you please get some information on how the BEL made (in particular) and other ventilators are faring in actual usage? How you and your colleagues rate them on reliability and actual modes etc? This information will be super useful both as what we should do better and to rebut fake news.

I saw your one line post and any more details would be much appreciated, thanks.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

nachiket wrote:
DrRatnadip wrote: There is too much pressure from relatives to give remdesivir.. Its not always easy to convince them.. Remdesivir is unlikely to work in severly ill pts.. Unfortunately these are pts in whome govt wants us to use remdesivir.. It can be helpful if given little early when pt with happy hypoxia develops dyspnea , tachypnea and other signs of progression to more severe disease.. If we delay it remdesivir wont work..
Unfortunately there is too much misinformation on social media about this. People are already susceptible to believing all the nonsense that gets forwarded there but when the situation is desperate and they are fearing for the life of a loved one, the problem is altogether more acute. And the more people see desperate pleas by others for Remdesivir the more they believe that is is some sort of wonder drug and do the same thing if they are in that situation. It is a vicious circle.

The tragedy is that vaccine related misinformation and covid-conspiracy theories spread through the same social media channels earlier, feeding into people's vaccine hesitancy and also the earlier relaxed attitude people had in Feb-March when cases were lower. I often wonder how many lives were lost in this pandemic because of whatsapp forwards. It is unlikely we will ever know.
Any news on Molnupiravir - supposed to have had promising results in severe cases.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Is this guy serious ? Kejri is bribing Delhi High Court just because they were tough on him and his govt. I have not seen a low life politician scum more than him in my life.

https://twitter.com/LiveLawIndia/status ... 1708122115
Live Law
@LiveLawIndia
Pursuant to a request received from the #DelhiHighCourt, the Delhi Government decides to use 100 rooms of Ashoka Hotel, New Delhi for setting up of COVID Health facility for the use of Justices, other judicial officers of Delhi High Court and their families.
6:47 AM · Apr 26, 2021
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

Kejri keeps the media quiet by releasing ads and keeps the judges happy by creating dedicated Covid facilities just for them.

Another curious thing I am seeing is:

1. Sudden explosion of crematorium photos in Indian newspapers showing burning bodies (Barkha Dutt started this). However, not a single picture of bodies being buried in a graveyard
2. At least one story in newspapers every day on how Muslims / mosques are helping Covid victims

Looks like fresh orders and cash have come from abroad for our neutral journalists on what angles to take in filing stories

My advice to Modi is:

1. Study how presstitutes operate
2. Make it illegal
3. Have investigations ready to probe any illegality

For example, if presstitutes are taking money from abroad to file stories or run campaigns, make paid news illegal unless it carries the tag "Sponsored."
Last edited by sanjayc on 27 Apr 2021 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Raja wrote:Anecdotally, I don't believe the official numbers that have been reported from Ahmedabad. I am not sure how true this article is, but crappy data will only hurt us in the long run.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 412371.ece

Figures from main government hospitals in Ahmedabad, Surat and a few districts reveal deaths many times higher than being reported by the health authorities.
Discrepancy between the government figures of COVID-19 deaths and figures from hospitals and crematoria/burial grounds in the State appears growing in Gujarat as the State is grappling with the pandemic’s second wave.
Recordkeeping is a trailing activity and will get updated later. During the last wave there were days were records were updated en masse. The US also had several periods where record keeping was updated. Even CDC daily vaccination count data is often updated because of crappy reporting from states.

There are better things to do mid wave than go around even unwittingly being part of the negative story.
EswarPrakash
BRFite

Post by EswarPrakash »

I am not on Twitter, but one of my wife's cousins is down with COVID in Kochi. What would be the best way to see if I can arrange a hospital bed for her? I checked the COVID resource page, and don't see a way to do any searches.
Sonugn
BRFite

Post by Sonugn »

EswarPrakash wrote:I am not on Twitter, but one of my wife's cousins is down with COVID in Kochi. What would be the best way to see if I can arrange a hospital bed for her? I checked the COVID resource page, and don't see a way to do any searches.
Please see below. You might need to call & check them individually.

https://ibb.co/dpJnQg3
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

After seeing how even cautious people working from home are getting infected, I'd think twice before visiting any hospital for vaccination. Its very surprising how so many people are getting infected and how many among those are needing serious medical attention. In Delhi, situation is much worse because of Kejriwal and his criminal mismanagement.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Covid data plots from the twitter feed of Prof. Manindra Agrawal, IIT

India curves continues on the same trajectory.

Adding Kerala as it appears to be stabilizing. Peaking during May 5-10.

For other states check the twitter feed.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

INOX's communication to the dilli govt run by khujliwal as to why they are not giving clear instructions for the supply of oxygen

the court has already flagged the massive corruption going on in dilli aided and abetted by the local authorities

Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Supreme Court asks Centre to explain the logic behind Covid-19 vaccine pricing
:roll:, Now hope this does not lead to further confusion or people wait out till Hon.SC decides on the pricing.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

EswarPrakash wrote:I am not on Twitter, but one of my wife's cousins is down with COVID in Kochi. What would be the best way to see if I can arrange a hospital bed for her? I checked the COVID resource page, and don't see a way to do any searches.

Brilliant app - Covrelief made by IITD Alumni which provides live tracking of vacant hospital beds in your city, oxygen availability, plasma, videos by renowned doctors, etc.

https://covidrelief.glideapp.io/

Hope it helps
EswarPrakash
BRFite

Post by EswarPrakash »

vinod wrote:
Brilliant app - Covrelief made by IITD Alumni which provides live tracking of vacant hospital beds in your city, oxygen availability, plasma, videos by renowned doctors, etc.

https://covidrelief.glideapp.io/

Hope it helps
Thank you! Great resource. Have shared it out to my folks in India. The person in question is feeling better now. The advise to her was: stay indoors, use prescribed medication, warm water and keep warm. If it gets to a point where she is unable to breath, call emergency straightaway.
EswarPrakash
BRFite

Post by EswarPrakash »

Sonugn wrote:
Please see below. You might need to call & check them individually.

https://ibb.co/dpJnQg3
Thank you!