Eastern Europe/Ukraine [Feb 6th 2015]

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Eastern Europe/Ukraine [Feb 6th 2015]

Post by chetak »

yensoy wrote:
IndraD wrote:Russia appreciates India’s 'independent and balanced position' at UNSC
Russian Embassy in India tweeted: "Highly appreciate India’s independent and balanced position at the voting in the UNSC on February 25, 2022. In the spirit of the special and privileged strategic partnership Russia is committed to maintain close dialogue with India on the situation around Ukraine."
It should also be adequately clear to the Russians that the Indian delegate basically said the same thing in the resolution (minus maybe the finger-pointing towards Russia) and with no clear reasoning said that India would abstain. Which means that we want the cessation of hostilities but we are abstaining only as a favour to the Russians.
there is no favor here but Indian self interest onlee.

It can be dressed up any way that anyone wants
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

People on telegram can follow Intel Slava Z , updates by the minute !!

Most of UK air defence is gone., remember Motor Sich at Zaporizhzhya, Ukraine?., that will be likely taken over today
Last edited by kit on 26 Feb 2022 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

vijaykarthik wrote:[

Reports of IL-76 downed with 400 paratroopers by Ukies. Flew into a package of Uk fighters (am surprised that they still have fighters though. Would have imagined them to have got bombed by now). ?
Maybe they weren't UkAF fighters at all but a NATO interceptor package out of Romania or Poland? I wonder how far the US & its cohort are going to thwart the Russians. SOC units I am sure must be on the ground.
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

It seems the missile hitting the apartment was a Ukraine missile which misfired
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Rudradev wrote:
Reports of IL-76 downed with 400 paratroopers by Ukies. Flew into a package of Uk fighters (am surprised that they still have fighters though. Would have imagined them to have got bombed by now). ?
Maybe they weren't UkAF fighters at all but a NATO interceptor package out of Romania or Poland? I wonder how far the US & its cohort are going to thwart the Russians. SOC units I am sure must be on the ground.
Interestingly no video or proof.. ukies propoganda has been taken over by the other uk and us , as ukie interior ministry and security HQs all blown up in the initial missile raids
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

kit wrote:People on telegram can follow Intel Slava Z , updates by the minute !!
If I may say (and I have been following them) that it’s a good source but heavily biased in favour of the Russian side.

To get a flavour of the other side (Ukrainian bias) also check out Bellum Acta.

Then come to your own conclusions.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Rudradev wrote:
chetak wrote:
the Indian guys who joined the jehadis in afghanistan, syria et all, most of them did not fight against India, though a few may have.

ban one, ban all.
Disagree. He has broken no Indian law or been charged with any crime in a country we have an extradition treaty with, so why should he forfeit his passport? Stupidity is not a crime.

Those who fight for jihad anywhere are a different breed altogether. They have mortgaged their humanity at the fetid altar of a foul and cancerous doctrine. They are no longer human, but rabid animals, and deserve only to be culled.
Agreed. There are nuances.

Also although older me shakes my head at his insane decision, the younger, stupider me would have seriously considered signing up myself in that situation, because why the hell not. Seriously.

Anyway, moving on….
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Rudradev wrote:
That could well cross Putins rubicon and invite a nuclear strike !
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

putnanja wrote:Taiwan is the one that should be shivering right now! The West led Ukraine up the garden path, and when push came to shove, hightailed out of there. Forget the puny sactions.

Now think of Taiwan. Will US come to its aid? Will US even impose sanctions on China given its huge dependency on China?

The only winner here is China - it now knows that it can do what it wants with Taiwan and no one will interfere. Just like they are slowly assimilating Hong Kong after promising it would be autonomous, with no repercussions.
Taiwan is different. It has a treaty with US. Ofcourse its in the strategic ambiguity terrain. But its definitely not Ukraine and there will be blow back there.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vijaykarthik wrote:
Taiwan is different. It has a treaty with US. Ofcourse its in the strategic ambiguity terrain. But its definitely not Ukraine and there will be blow back there.
it is also non white

the amerikis will weasel out of it.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

So the Ukrainian soldiers who were martyred cursing a Russian warship in last stand of glorious death..... surrendered to Russians forces and are alive :rotfl:
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

ramana wrote: By HAK own admission Crimea was added to Ukraine by Nikita Khruschev as a good will gesture and is 60% is ethnic Russian.
So remerging wit Russia is right solution. No need for referendum.
In fact in Western Ukraine there was voluntary population transfers to create current Ukraine.
Western Ukraine including the major city of Lviv was part of Poland and then taken over by the Austro-Hungarian Empire. When the Austro-Hungarian empire collapsed, Poland re-absorbed it's territories until Hitler invaded in 1939 and that part of Eastern Poland was handed over the Stalin in the Hitler-Stalin peace pact. That is until 1941 when Germany attacked the USSR and in the counter-attack leading towards the end of WW2, the USSR permanently took over that territory and made it part of Ukraine. Eastern Ukraine, east of the Dneiper river has always been ruled by Tsarist Russia. So present day Ukraine is effectively 2 countries that were artificially put together in 1919. This history also accounts for the rabid anti Soviet/Russian posture of Poland.
Last edited by ldev on 26 Feb 2022 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

KLNMurthy wrote:
Cyrano wrote:France, in its role as leader of NATO defensive response, volunteered to position a battalion of 500 soldiers with protected vehicles in Romania ASAP - Chief of Armies Gen Burkhard on TV - France24 channel last night.
So, the fighting has shifted to Romania already?
No, it's NATO, or rather a spurned and insulted Macron telling Putin where the redlines are - they are beyond Ukraine's western borders.
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

kit wrote:People on telegram can follow Intel Slava Z , updates by the minute !!

Most of UK air defence is gone., remember Motor Sich at Zaporizhzhya, Ukraine?., that will be likely taken over today
AD will have been disabled in he first hour as I mentioned earlier. Uk will have no airforce or air superiority now. Thats the only way gnrl staff will have planned. MANPADS might still be there though. I will be v surprised if AD / AA weren't disabled and destroyed in first few mins of the strike.
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1 ... 7855135751 This is crazy. UK military convoy getting attacked and civilian cars are on road
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

Interesting - not sure if anyone discussed this (I dont remember seeing it).

Amphibious ops too. After how long as we seeing an amphibious invasion. Very sweet and I think Russia is actually trying out many options. Not sure how much is for posturing or practice but I think China will be interested in the amphibious ops as thats the only way they can take Taiwan.

All runways will have been cratered. Just to ensure that resupplying Uk wont be so easy with no runway / port.

Russia might mostly use reserves if they need to stay. I hope they dont plan to stay but troop rotation might be required sometime and with 900K troop size, will mostly allow reserves to stay, if they plan to.
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

chetak wrote:
vijaykarthik wrote:
it is also non white

the amerikis will weasel out of it.
Point but if US chicken out, then its Pax Sinica. All hail Xi.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

vijaykarthik wrote:
putnanja wrote:Taiwan is the one that should be shivering right now! The West led Ukraine up the garden path, and when push came to shove, hightailed out of there. Forget the puny sactions.

Now think of Taiwan. Will US come to its aid? Will US even impose sanctions on China given its huge dependency on China?

The only winner here is China - it now knows that it can do what it wants with Taiwan and no one will interfere. Just like they are slowly assimilating Hong Kong after promising it would be autonomous, with no repercussions.
I will bet my left testimonial (as the good doctor used to say) that US will find a way to weasel out of any agreement. Issue with China is not its defence capabilities, but that US is tied at the hip to it economically. US companies will go kaput if Chinese goods can't make it outside China due to war with US over Taiwan. Not to mention that US has become quite gun-shy when chances of casualties are high, as shown current wrt Russia/Ukraine. China is not some Syria/Iraq.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

rkirankr wrote:https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1 ... 7855135751 This is crazy. UK military convoy getting attacked and civilian cars are on road
That’s nothing honestly compared to the video out there including:

1. A BMP or tank running over a car (driver survived) on a main street.

2. People walking by presumably grocery shopping while troops take position.

3. Civilians confronting soldiers who are obviously heavily armed.

4. Shoot outs on the road while life goes on elsewhere.

This is modern war.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

vijaykarthik wrote:

AD will have been disabled in he first hour as I mentioned earlier. Uk will have no airforce or air superiority now. Thats the only way gnrl staff will have planned. MANPADS might still be there though. I will be v surprised if AD / AA weren't disabled and destroyed in first few mins of the strike.
Don’t think UK AF is gone or this was the work of UAVs which I don’t think so. Supposedly Ukranian Mi-24 and Su-27 made quick work on Russian supply trucks

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVide ... ed_convoy/
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

rkirankr wrote:It seems the missile hitting the apartment was a Ukraine missile which misfired
Interestingly no video or proof.. ukies propoganda has been taken over by the other uk and us , as ukie interior ministry and security HQs all blown up in the initial missile raids[/quote]
It's getting to legendary levels now. It seems that russki tank that crushed the passenger car was also Ukrainian APC that lost control.
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

John wrote:
vijaykarthik wrote:
Don’t think UK AF is gone or this was the work of UAVs which I don’t think so. Supposedly Ukranian Mi-24 and Su-27 made quick work on Russian supply trucks

UAF's and drones are practically useless when the air zone isnt controlled by the country. Will be fair game and Rus forces will put it out very quickly. Which makes it more surprising as to what's going on.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

vijaykarthik wrote:
John wrote: Don’t think UK AF is gone or this was the work of UAVs which I don’t think so. Supposedly Ukranian Mi-24 and Su-27 made quick work on Russian supply trucks

UAF's and drones are practically useless when the air zone isnt controlled by the country. Will be fair game and Rus forces will put it out very quickly. Which makes it more surprising as to what's going on.
Don’t think Russians have full air superiority we saw Ukrainian flanker get shot down by their own air defense only a day ago.
Last edited by John on 26 Feb 2022 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

putnanja wrote:
I will bet my left testimonial (as the good doctor used to say)….
This is a totally frivolous post so mods can delete or bredator my backside.

It got back so many fond memories of possibly the greatest BR forummer ever (IMO).

Have always been meaning to ask: I know Shiv garu departed BR precipitously (Mods - I’m living dangerously now haha) but can someone PM me as to his whereabouts?

Like so many of us, he was the guy who got me really into BR. A rock star. Miss his commentary.

Yeah I know this is so off topic. But I blame you putnanja ji. :D
sumsumne
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sumsumne »

Students going abroad: PM nudges pvt firms to expand medical education

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/stud ... 220226.htm

Why are Indian Students going to Ukraine and Wuhan and studying Medicine there despite the language barrier?
Last edited by sumsumne on 26 Feb 2022 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
LakshmanPST
BRFite

Post by LakshmanPST »

vijaykarthik wrote:

I don't think Russia achieved complete air superiority of Ukraine... They did take out many air defence assets on day 1 and probably achieved it in some fronts but not over entire country...
Some AD assets might have escaped the first strikes and are probably active... We don't know...
-
As I said there is huge pro-UKR propaganda mixed with actual facts... Can't rule out every pro-Ukrainian news as fake...
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Cyrano wrote:
KLNMurthy wrote: So, the fighting has shifted to Romania already?
No, it's NATO, or rather a spurned and insulted Macron telling Putin where the redlines are - they are beyond Ukraine's western borders.
So, ok fine, take Ukraine, but if you come to Romania, then watch out!

In Telugu we have a saying for such people: “If I ever get up, beware! I’ll be such an inhuman beast!”
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

sumsumne wrote:Students going abroad: PM nudges pvt firms to expand medical education

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/stud ... 20226.htm

Why are Indian Students going to Ukraine and Wuhan and studying Medicine there despite the language barrier?
Limited number of seats in India, high entry barrier in competitive exams, studying in China or Ukraine is cheaper than a paid seat in India, and the degree is acceptable internationally.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

rkirankr wrote:It seems the missile hitting the apartment was a Ukraine missile which misfired
Here is the video looks like SAM to me

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1497 ... 09187?s=21
Last edited by John on 26 Feb 2022 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

If Im not wrong, the naval deal for Talwar class frigates could be stuck with the sanctions. More pertinent, it was dependent on an Ukrainian power plant. Ouch.Wonder how much the delay will be. Bad timing as IOR needs some strengthening.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

vijaykarthik wrote:If Im not wrong, the naval deal for Talwar class frigates could be stuck with the sanctions. More pertinent, it was dependent on an Ukrainian power plant. Ouch.Wonder how much the delay will be. Bad timing as IOR needs some strengthening.
Already mentioned it a few times about that. It’s shame was only months away from getting those Gas turbines from Zorya IIRC.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

Prem Kumar wrote:
shravanp wrote:
Nice humor (sorry). I think the topmost priority is to clean the internals of the house. Without that, any territorial ambitions will be wasted, should BIF led political parties get back in power.
Aksai Chin maybe a fantasy, but PoK isn't. We can't wait for all cleanup to be done before making moves. China didn't wait till they were ready before they went into the Korean war or got into a border dispute with Russia. A leader's role is to expand into a zone of discomfort when needed, that will then become the new normal. I think the Indian public will solidly rally behind Modi if he retakes PoK.

At the very least, this kind of what-if scenarios will drill into the heads of our populace & decision makers on why we need a strong military which is capable of offensive ops when an opportunity presents itself.
Please do not conflate Aksai Chin with Taiwan. Aksai chin is a part of India. Taiwan was never a part of China. We make all the wrong comparisons and it weakens our stand.

Likewise Ukraine is not Taiwan. Putin faces a threat perception from Ukraine. It’s the place of orange revolutions. It was a part of the Soviet Union. He can build a case.

China has no case except it’s insatiable greed. They are a greedy hill of termites.

I would humbly request all posters to think carefully before making analogies. These analogies come to bite us since they give legitimacy to monsters.

Also am somewhat embarrassed that we are comparing ourselves to Ukraine… seriously. Is that what the great Indian defense is? The Chinese are still scared of the Vietnamese. Our problem is our psyche. It is our ships that should be patrolling Taiwan right now, instead of us being worried about a China attack. It has to be enemies within who have messed our psyche.
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/ ... 4658379781 This one also seems more authentic.
LakshmanPST
BRFite

Post by LakshmanPST »

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/14975982 ... 4KRjw&s=19
Russian Army ordered to broaden Ukraine advance 'from all directions': AFP News Agency
https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1 ... 4VrfQ&s=19
After Kiev's refusal to negotiate, all units are ordered to develop the offensive in all directions - Russian Ministry of Defense
Things are going to get bloddy now I guess...
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

right on cue

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

suddenly these guys are sounding reasonable onlee

what gives
@ANI · 19h
We've a broad strategic partnership with India, share values. India has a relationship with Russia that is distinct from the relationship that we've with Russia that is okay. What we've asked every country is to use that leverage in a constructive way: US State Dept Spox
have they forgotten this

Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Nothing short of Zelenskyy and his cabinet resigning and replaced by a govt which is pro-Russia will end this war.