Eastern Europe/Ukraine [Feb 6th 2015]

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Guddu
BRFite

Re: Eastern Europe/Ukraine [Feb 6th 2015]

Post by Guddu »

vinod wrote:I can think of few ways to get rouble
1. Start trading. Ie. Break sanctions
2. Buy ruble on open market. It will cause the rates to shoot up crazy
3. Buy it from russian central bank using gold
4. Unwind sanctions.

May be, there is more...
This is a nice move, it will stabilize the downward trajectory of the Rouble. To buy ruble, EU has to give US $ or Euro (hard currency) to purchase ruble. Russia then ships oil and gets the ruble back and keeps the Us $/Euro.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

sanjaykumar wrote: But I am confident there are national groups in the US India China Russia developing race bombs.

The very thought fills me with dread.
Not India, gujral destroyed any such possibility. So we are helpless!
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

I'm not exactly sure how this is going to work. Putin said no more Eur or usd. He is locked out of SWIFT anyway, so difficult to spend. :roll:

Currency war is a precursor to full shooting match.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Israel will never side Ukraine. Nazification is the reason. Point.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

rsingh wrote:Israel will never side Ukraine. Nazification is the reason. Point.

Israeli ex commandos are off to Uke btw., after Zskys "emotional" speech

Does anyone notice " ZELINSKY EMOTIONAL SPEECH / APPEAL " etc is an ACTUAL TOOL OF WARFARE., HE WAS CHOSEN PRECISELY BECAUSE HE IS AN ACTOR
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote: But I am confident there are national groups in the US India China Russia developing race bombs.

The very thought fills me with dread.
Not India, gujral destroyed any such possibility. So we are helpless!
Indias bioweapons capability is second to none !! ., we dont have a program doesn't mean we cant develop one
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

There are quite a few people in the west who don't agree with NATO and sympatize with Russia, quite a few Americans too apart from Trump supporters.

John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Reports coming of multiple Russian ships hit at the port of Berdyansk. Looking at the videos looks like Orsk was hit not sure if an ammo depot or other ship has been caught up on it.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... 56421?s=21

https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/stat ... Ft_9IuM0oA
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

“High Powered” United Kingdom delegation to India called off.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... called-off
A high-powered cross-party UK delegation to India led by the Commons Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, and his deputy has been called off at the last minute in a sign of a growing rift over India’s refusal to distance itself from the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
United Kingdom, gfy.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

kit wrote:
rsingh wrote:Israel will never side Ukraine. Nazification is the reason. Point.

Israeli ex commandos are off to Uke btw., after Zskys "emotional" speech

Does anyone notice " ZELINSKY EMOTIONAL SPEECH / APPEAL " etc is an ACTUAL TOOL OF WARFARE., HE WAS CHOSEN PRECISELY BECAUSE HE IS AN ACTOR
Apart from being an actor, most of his cabinet (and Zelenski himself), have dual citizenship. They can simply to back to the US, if this does not
work out.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Baikul wrote:“High Powered” United Kingdom delegation to India called off.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... called-off
A high-powered cross-party UK delegation to India led by the Commons Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, and his deputy has been called off at the last minute in a sign of a growing rift over India’s refusal to distance itself from the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
United Kingdom, gfy.
Who invited them ? I guess the UK is more anxious than we are, to sign a trade agreement, post Brexit.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

This delegation is probably an all expenses paid junket for MPs to do chai biskoot sessions with babus. No real decision maker was on it. Wonder why it was called off, probably included some Islam Khalistan pasand MP who would have mouthed off in India
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

I think EU is going to go into recession. So, they will need UK. I'm assuming UK will prioritise that. I'm not sure where India stands on the sanctions hit list after Russia and China. So, probably tying to india doesn't make sense any more in the new era.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

There has been some talk of Turkey, blocking Russian access to the Black Sea.
How viable would it be for Russia to block access to the Baltic Sea??, all they would have to do is sink some large ships near the mouth, in the islands off Denmark and then the entire sea is blocked. Sweden and Finland would have no access via the Baltic.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Russian landing ship destroyed in Berdyansk, Ukraine claims
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Biden urged to get pilots from India, Brazil & UAE for lethal aid work https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 386655.cms
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

It Saratov that was sunk not Orsk and two other ships were damaged but left the port.

https://twitter.com/grangere04117/statu ... 66624?s=21
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

Haresh wrote:There has been some talk of Turkey, blocking Russian access to the Black Sea.
How viable would it be for Russia to block access to the Baltic Sea??, all they would have to do is sink some large ships near the mouth, in the islands off Denmark and then the entire sea is blocked. Sweden and Finland would have no access via the Baltic.
If this was a month ago, I would have thought the rabid Erdogan was off his meds and was posturing. But the way things are going for Russia and how the entire Western hemisphere has ganged up now I would not be surprised anymore if Turkey restricts Russian access to Black sea. For Turkey, this is an easy entry into Euro, NATO, and those sweet sweet American Weapons.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

John wrote:Reports coming of multiple Russian ships hit at the port of Berdyansk. Looking at the videos looks like Orsk was hit not sure if an ammo depot or other ship has been caught up on it.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... 56421?s=21

https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/stat ... Ft_9IuM0oA
I watched the entire 15 min video and I did not see any signs of artillery or strikes, at least I did not notice any. Could be an accident during unloading of munitions.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Jay wrote:
I watched the entire 15 min video and I did not see any signs of artillery or strikes, at least I did not notice any. Could be an accident during unloading of munitions.
Yea there is lot of contradicting info. One Russian source was claiming a Tochka was shot down right over the port when incident happened.

Ukranians claim it is Tochka but one Russian source now says it’s UAV attack another is saying it is accidental handling of ammunition. Fog of war or we might never know the true cause.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

John wrote:
Jay wrote:
Yea there is lot of contradicting info. One Russian source was claiming a Tochka was shot down right over the port when incident happened.

Ukranians claim it is Tochka but one Russian source now says it’s UAV attack another is saying it is accidental handling of ammunition. Fog of war or we might never know the true cause.
I’ve been searching for some evidence for this incident. If you look at this video, it’s hard to see any evidence of a missile or artillery or drone strike.

Who knows what happened.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IkfzmglTxyM
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Question. If Russian channels like RT are available in India and if yes then why our media is not quoting them.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Poland is reportedly not going to be paying for gas in rubles. I think they still have coal plants and also produce a lot of gas domestically. So, may be able to cut off Russian gas. Let us see what EU collectively decides.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

rsingh wrote:Question. If Russian channels like RT are available in India and if yes then why our media is not quoting them.
I have been in India the past 5 weeks. About 8-10 days after the Ukraine war started, RT was unavailable to me. Youtube blocked it. RT dot com was also blocked.

Nobody I know mourned the loss of RT. It was known widely as a pro-Pakistan, pro-Islamist, anti-India, anti-Hindu propaganda mouthpiece to equal the BBC. But even more openly racist than the BBC, gloating over stereotypes like open defecation in India, half-burned corpses floating down the Ganga etc.
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

^^^ I am hoping Al Jazeera gets the boot next. Hope the saudis can get it done
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

I think the Orsk did take a hit. And Tochka to the best of my knowledge can score hits against static objects unlike anti-ship - not against moving targets.

I wonder why Orsk was not moved. Surprising and even shocking if it did get hit (and I do believe it might have). Orsk was also widely celebrated when it reach the port as it was the first Russian ship there.

2 possibilities:
a. It was a sitting duck and got sunk either didnt have intelligence (not true, there was news of tochka being taken out just a day back)
b. It was an anti-ship missile. If it was an anti-ship how did it reach Ukraine. Curious that US and west considering providing anti-ship now (is it to make a noise that they didnt send any earlier).

Forensics might tell something.

On turkey blocking Bosphorus / Dardenelles, they are well entitled to under the Montreux convention. They in fact blocked it for all ml assets, not just Russian. just to be doubly sure that they dont irk Putin alone.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

All English language 24hr news channels run by France, Germany, Russia etc are run by Brits with "ex BBC" halo'd heads with propah brit accent and scornful disdain for the continental European country they are working for and racist contempt for the rest of the third class world, except perhaps for massaland. There music jingles, graphics, sets, programs, weather reports etc are all copied from BBC.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

vinod wrote:Poland is reportedly not going to be paying for gas in rubles. I think they still have coal plants and also produce a lot of gas domestically. So, may be able to cut off Russian gas. Let us see what EU collectively decides.
Poland produces small quantities of crude oil and natural gas, and it is a net crude oil and natural gas importer.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Rudradev wrote:
rsingh wrote:Question. If Russian channels like RT are available in India and if yes then why our media is not quoting them.
I have been in India the past 5 weeks. About 8-10 days after the Ukraine war started, RT was unavailable to me. Youtube blocked it. RT dot com was also blocked.

Nobody I know mourned the loss of RT. It was known widely as a pro-Pakistan, pro-Islamist, anti-India, anti-Hindu propaganda mouthpiece to equal the BBC. But even more openly racist than the BBC, gloating over stereotypes like open defecation in India, half-burned corpses floating down the Ganga etc.
The idea of nationhood and society being pushed by russians in their media is a truly atavistic and dark 'blood and soil' nationalism that people had forgotten even existed. I guess its a consequence of the humiliations heaped on them after the collapse of the Soviet Union, like the German reaction after Versailles. In this line of thinking, propagating Indian stereotypes to reinforce white ethno-nationalism in the west is entirely legitimate.

This is not to say that the wokism that has taken over the western institutions, lgbtq glorification, erasure of all boundaries and social etiquette, destruction of normal family structures is a good thing. Its equally grotesque and to me, looks like the logical dead end of left-liberal/soft marxist thinking. The recent nominee to the US Supreme Court, Ketanji Jackson refuses to say what/who is a woman! Recent 'women of the year' awards have all gone to people who used to be men an year back. Now its verboten to even mention their past gender and names!

Both these world views need to be vehemently rejected by India and the wider developing world. These are purely western problems and should be ring-fenced so the fight stays there. A more aggressive policing of 'sovereign cultural/idea spaces' is required, perhaps to start with banning media (including social media) operations that are owned/operated by foreigners or foreign money.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

vinod wrote: Currency war is a precursor to full shooting match.
The World is not like that it was in the 40s. A full scale war involving major powers have serious consequences on the public in far away lands. The war fields and attack modes have expanded.
The powers realize this, they are not stupid. Full shooting, hopefully, will remain a wet dream of some.
yogeshkumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yogeshkumar »

Where things go from here (from Russia's perspective). In my opinion (armchair general :)) :

- Russia should just annex the whole (atleast 2/3rd of Ukraine). Leave 1/3rd of the Ukraine in the west to US's puppet regime if thats too much to stomach for Russia.

Why - US/Nato have shown their true colors. None of the international rules apply to them. (Iraq, Syria, Yugoslavia, Iran, Chile etc, they robbed Russia's reserves and so on). Thing is - these sanctions will not be removed for next 10-15 years, at the minimum. Russia has not much to gain by trying to keep US/EU happy. Just focus inwards. They have all the resources.

I read this on https://t.me/s/intelslava channel (not sure how accurate this is):
"The Ukrainian leadership missed its chance for a sovereign state, - the official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova
"They have already missed the main chance for the existence of Ukraine within their own borders, a sovereign Ukraine, an independent Ukraine," she said.

Given that Russia has sacrificed so much.. you might as well get something real tangible out of it. If not outright annexation, just call the new country "Nova Russia" or "Nova Ukraine".
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

Rus Soviath after this crisis should ensure that Ukraine as nation does not form. They should make it as a Russia protectorate i.e. no Armed forces, protection will be provided by Russia. They can be independently ruled, the Russian speaking areas are absorbed into Russia. I wish India had done this to BD when Independence was declared, no Armed forces for BD, India will supply protection by its Armed forces.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

what will be the fate of Zelensky? There are speculations he is not in Ukraine, a recent photo op of him in hospital shows type E socket which is used in Poland/Israel. Another video of him shows him in possible video shop.

and all this talk of sanction with Eu buying 500 million euros worth of gas oil daily from Russia? Irony/hypocrisy? Also talks of removing Ru from G20. Biden doing robo walk in Brussels.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Tanaji wrote:This delegation is probably an all expenses paid junket for MPs to do chai biskoot sessions with babus.
They had Rajasthan in their itinerary.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

bala wrote: I wish India had done this to BD when Independence was declared, no Armed forces for BD, India will supply protection by its Armed forces.
CHT should have been absorbed.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

If you look at the world and note all the friction/war areas they are directly related to the British. The middle east and the lines drawn in sand nations are all subjected to wars. India of course with neighboring nations like Pak, Afghan and to a lesser extant Sri Lanka and BD. The Rus Soviath tussle stems from WW-II, the east flank took on Germany and the West flank by the US with the guy in the middle being the Brits who cried help. Even the China stuff is due to Brits disrupting the chinese during Indian Raj rule. In all, the villains are the Brits.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Sapolksy is a true genius, I've been listening to his lectures since a few years. Some sobering thoughts when nuclear arms are being spoken of so casually here and elsewhere...

banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

Mariupol has either fallen or partly fallen. Even CNN seems to be putting up some face saving story about destruction and stuff, so something must have happened
yogeshkumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yogeshkumar »

banrjeer wrote:Mariupol has either fallen or partly fallen. Even CNN seems to be putting up some face saving story about destruction and stuff, so something must have happened
I think 80-85% of Mariupol is in Russian control (DRP to be specific) as of today. Lot of casualties on Azov/Ukrainian army side.

(per source: https://t.me/s/intelslava, which can be little biased, but still gives a good idea of where things are)
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

There has been some talk of the ruble being in trouble etc., but here is an article opining that the US dollar is in serious trouble, in fact close to collapse. Here is the article, FWIW:

"The Dominance Of The U.S. Dollar Is Fading Right Before Our Eyes"

https://quoththeraven.substack.com/p/th ... lar-is?s=w