Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

Post by NRao »

John wrote:
I believe these rockets the Ukrainians are putting together will have bigger impact, one unit alone has supposedly received 3 of them. Unlike the ones from Libya and Syria these are stabilized

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/sta ... BbLjBJUswg
The title of the article mentions "US rockets" = HIMAR.

UKR has its own rocket force (that I think has been decimated).

On a separate note, HIMARS have a very long tail. And, load cycles are extremely long. The range at which Biden has restricted the transfer too, I have no idea how they would help.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

A pattern has emerged that even the blindest can see: The next toy US will supply will be "The Game Changer" :)
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

The battle for the Donbass is a sobering thought for those in the forum who say `we should take back POK' as if all its takes is a command. Donbass defenses have been prepared over 5 years on flat land. POK defenses have been prepared over 5 decades, in the mountains.

Some clips on Russian TV are, to me, an indication of how we'll have to fight the next war.
- Artillery needs drones to support it.
- Tanks and AGTM's are being used to destroy bunkers, or even a single sniper. Hardly anyone seems to be dying from rifle fire.
- Russian consumption of shells (as one example) requires a huge backend effort to get them produced and then transported to the front.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

^^^Yes. The local population in the regions occupied so far are very pro Russian. PoK will be a lot more hostile.

That said, Russia is fighting AFU and militias boosted by NATO capabilities and US Intelligence, experienced mercenaries etc. The key factors in a PoK operation by India will be very different.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Deans wrote:…..
Some clips on Russian TV are, to me, an indication of how we'll have to fight the next war.
- Artillery needs drones to support it.
- Tanks and AGTM's are being used to destroy bunkers, or even a single sniper. Hardly anyone seems to be dying from rifle fire.
- Russian consumption of shells (as one example) requires a huge backend effort to get them produced and then transported to the front.
Not only artillery, but drones will probably need to be incorporated right down to the infantry platoon (if not squad level) with accompanying training in their operational deployment. Whether it’s gathering real time information or as a weapons platform, videos suggest that the nature of the game has changed.

As a side note it would be interesting to discover how the role of the artillery forward observer would change.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

There appear to be 3 significant Ukrainian attacks taking place.
- East of Kharkov to cut off Russian supplies. Ukraine managed 2 difficult river crossings. Russian commander in the Kharkov sector has been sacked.
- Foreign fighter led force counter-attacked in Severo-Donetsk and recovered a major part of the city from LPR Militia. Regular Russian infantry claim to have pushed back the Ukies to their starting point, with heavy casualties.
- Another attack towards Kherson.

Too much fog of war to figure out what's going on, but Russian media acknowledges all 3. Russian media has a lot of clips of military convoys reinforcing Kherson.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Deans,

Not sure if you have a decent pulse of the Russian **people** - the commoner. IF you (or anyone else) do, then the question I have is: have the Russian people bought into the Putin May 9 narrative that this is an existential threat and that the fight is actually against NATO itself.

My sense is that at some point in time this will become about "resolve". The side that has the stronger resolve will keep this going - not W/L. Can the Russians keep this going to achieve their reconfigured goals?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

The situation on the Kharkiv front
[img][img]http://i.imgur.com/SxbmK96.png[/img][/img]

The area on the east bank of the SeveroDonetsk river occupied by Ukraine, is highlighted in yellow.
About a week ago they attempted a crossing to the North. The Russians destroyed the pontoon bridges ( Black X partly hidden by the Red line showing the Ukraine push) and pushed back the Ukrainians.
A Russian push from the North, along the West bank of the river (orange line) threatened to cut off the Ukrainian push.

However, instead of retreating, Ukrainians successfully attempted a 2nd crossing to the south (red line) and crossed the river. They linked up with the first bridgehead, to get a penetration about 17km long and 3 km wide.
Their objective is the down shaded in light green on the right of the map (its the intersection of 2 supply routes and the rail line from Russia, along with being a repair and supply base for the Russians.

The Russians on the East bank of the river are attempting to seal off this penetration (orange line). They are also attempting an ambitious twin
thrust on the West Bank (orange lines moving south from Russia and north from the Izyum front.
The only Ukrainian unit in their path (guarding the bridge to the south) was one that featured on social media, where the troops mutinied and then fought the Ukrainian military police and special forces brought in to arrest the troublemakers.

Ukraine in turn is trying to cut off these Russian thrusts.

This is probably the kind of battle that will be studied in staff colleges. Only 2 brigades on each side. Ideal situation for a BTG to operate.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

NRao wrote:Deans,

Not sure if you have a decent pulse of the Russian **people** - the commoner. IF you (or anyone else) do, then the question I have is: have the Russian people bought into the Putin May 9 narrative that this is an existential threat and that the fight is actually against NATO itself.

My sense is that at some point in time this will become about "resolve". The side that has the stronger resolve will keep this going - not W/L. Can the Russians keep this going to achieve their reconfigured goals?
Interesting question and one I have asked myself.
My sense (talking to friends in Russia) is that in the first month the war was less popular, as many thought it was a police action against fellow Slavs and that the war was partly Putin's politics gone wrong. The strength of the resistance, the extent of Nazism and the support of NATO, including declarations that the purpose of the war is to defeat Russia and reduce its status forever, seem to have convinced Russians that this war is an existential threat by NATO to their way of life.

There is now a lot more support on social media for the army. Draft dodging is the national sport and this time it has reduced. Lots of support from ordinary folks for army units going to the front.
When clips of the Azov surrender were shown, a lot of comments were of outrage - `why aren't their hands up ? Why are they carrying their personal belongings, let them work on de-mining' etc. I don't see western media able to find Russians in Russia talking about how bad the war is. They may not like Putin, but they love Russia and see it under threat.

There are 3 things deeply embedded in the Russian DNA
- Hatred of Nazism (5X of what we at BRF feel towards Pak) and those who destroy symbols of Russia (language and Orthodox church)
- Suspicion of the West
- Ability to sacrifice when faced with an existential threat.

Current actions of the West are playing into the existential narrative of Putin.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

https://twitter.com/vic_top55/status/15 ... 3301283840
Ukrainian drone did not reach the target, but filmed how it was shot down by a Russian air defense missile

(watch the video in the tweet)
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

NRao wrote:https://twitter.com/vic_top55/status/15 ... 3301283840
Ukrainian drone did not reach the target, but filmed how it was shot down by a Russian air defense missile

(watch the video in the tweet)
:lol: Got love how they clipped a video to show just the part where it got shot down but left out how identified and was used to take large ammo dump. It’s recon drone used for targeting.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... PA59vEGuPQ

Reports of Major General Roman Kutuzov killed waiting for official confirmation

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1533 ... PA59vEGuPQ

Heated debate on whether this is Ukr or Russian jet shot down, it is hard to say IMO could either by Ukranian Su-27 or Russian Su-34

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/15 ... R_XRQDyP3w
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

John wrote:
Reports of Major General Roman Kutuzov killed waiting for official confirmation

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1533 ... PA59vEGuPQ
Various Russian sources are confirming it. Below is War Gonzo

https://t.me/wargonzo/7189
Heated debate on whether this is Ukr or Russian jet shot down, it is hard to say IMO could either by Ukranian Su-27 or Russian Su-34

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/15 ... R_XRQDyP3w
I’m leaning Ukrainian based on multiple social media reports but who knows.

Meanwhile some hard, hard fighting at Severodonetsk. This one unit of fighters (international, for Ukraine) has suffered close to 38 percent casualties in 24 hours

https://mobile.twitter.com/neilphauer/s ... 5009200129
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Meanwhile the action (see map below, source ISW*) seems to be centred around two supply routes to the two key contested cities of Lysichansk and Severodonetsk.

The supply road from Lysichansk to Severodonetsk is being used to reinforce the latter. In Severodonetsk we already know there’s brutal combat in progress. It’s critical for UAF to use this route across the river to reinforce their fighters. As it is critical for RuAF to block it.

The second is the Artemovsk (Bakhmut) to Lysichansk highway, critical because it’s the main supply line to the latter city. The RuAF artillery is dominating large stretches of this highway, which means that UAF supplies on this route have to pass through a firestorm. They’re still managing to some extent.

It’s a fascinating modern struggle with World War One undertones. If one were to be very fanciful, a minor (very minor!) version of the heavily shelled French ‘Sacred Way’ supply route to the slaughterhouse at Verdun!

* In red are the areas under Russian control. You can clearly see the potential cauldron. I also think ISW is heavily biased in favour of the West, but this map works to illustrate the point I was making above.

Edit: some links to what the roads look like

https://mobile.twitter.com/warsarchives ... 1461342208

https://mobile.twitter.com/euromaidanpr ... 0631669760
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

NRao wrote:Deans,

Not Dean, but my wife's side is Russian. She is very pro Ukr but her family is completely pro Putin. Talking to her folks in Siberia as well as other family members in Omsk as well St Petersburg, the populace is very pro putin and understand and shocked by the vehemence and speed with which western sanctions have been applied. Their understanding is that this must have been planned for a while.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

If the master has done it, can the disciple be far behind:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61701055

No clarification on what is the range of the supplied missiles, the HiMARS were not to exceed 90 miles.

Meanwhile, the US ambassador to Ukraine has said it is fair game to target Russian batteries in Russia with HiMARS. Wonder what happened of the pinky promise that Ukraine gave Biden… didnt even last till the systems are deployed.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Deans wrote:The situation on the Kharkiv front
…..
Nice analysis Deans ji. These look to be very ‘lively’ engagements, tactically speaking.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Baikul wrote:
John wrote:

I’m leaning Ukrainian based on multiple social media reports but who knows. …
They’re using the picture of the vertical stabiliser of the downed aircraft to claim it was Ukrainian. The downed aircraft was tail #38.

https://imgur.com/a/WhUXbwI

Below for comparison is tail #39 (enlarge pic)

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/101 ... khoi-su-27

Friendly fire is what they’re saying.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

I think the analysis below by Igor Girkin on the current grinding battle in the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk area bears noting. For this who haven’t followed him, Girkin is a noted, controversial pro- Russian politician, ex- soldier and commentators who’s been critical of Russian war efforts and who seems to be in close touch with what’s happening on the ground. I thought it was quite balanced.

https://t.me/strelkovii/2665
Synopsis.

Kharkiv Front - local battles and artillery skirmishes. No significant changes.

Approximately the same can be said about all other sections of the front, except for the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk area. In the Avdeevka area - fierce artillery fire and attempts of counterattacks by the Ukrainian forces (in small numbers). Near Ugledar, the RF and DNR forces "depict activity", but without visible results.

All the main forces of the opponents in Donbass are now concentrated in the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk area. Where they are mutually "grinded". The command of Russian troops is logically trying to "press" the encirclement of the AFU grouping, which is in the bag in the area of these cities and protrusion in the agglomeration of Zolote (with adjacent villages and settlements). For its part, the AFU are stubbornly clinging to every meter of terrain and (probably for political and propaganda reasons) are just as stubbornly unwilling to finally leave Severodonetsk, where fierce street fighting continues. As a result of counterattacks from the "industrial area" (the Azot plant), the enemy managed to move the fighting back into the city. It is unclear how deep it is. Ukro sources claim to have "liberated most of the city" and provide their own maps to confirm this (the maps, however, are not confirmed by any photo or video material). Our military correspondents refute this and speak of "insignificant advance of the enemy, already stopped". And they are also completely unfounded. I still have no data from my own sources. So I state only that my forecast of four days ago that "our troops will finish mopping up Severodonetsk in a day or two, unless the enemy throws some fresh units there for slaughter" was not justified in the first part and was justified in the second. The Ukrainians deployed reserves (including the notorious "foreign legion") and the fighting continues. It will be possible to assess the advisability of such a decision by the enemy only at the end of the battle. If our troops manage to encircle the entire Severodonetsk-Lysychansk grouping, more units and formations will get into the cauldron and be defeated. But if not - then the enemy will have the opportunity to tie up our troops with fighting in the urban area for another few days to a few weeks (depending on how things go).
(I was recently "booed" here in the "trolley" that my prediction about "the Popasna scenario for Severodonetsk-Lysychansk was not justified"... alas, it did... and how very much so...)
The situation with "closing the cauldron" in the area west of Lisichansk is also unclear. Our people claim they are gradually advancing. The Ukrainians claim they "firmly hold and counterattack". We'll see. In any case, the stakes are quite high. It is unlikely that the AFU command already has the capacity to withdraw its grouping from the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk-Zolote area in an organized manner without defeating the retreating units and suffering very heavy losses in equipment and men.
The fiercest battles are now taking place there, with massive use of artillery, aviation and armored vehicles. And neither side can afford to end the battle "in a draw". The encirclement of the Ukrainians would be a severe defeat for them. Both militarily and politically. Failure to encircle would leave the Russian command unable to defeat even part of the enemy group in Donbass (after the failure to defeat the entire group already took place). This, too, will lead to severe military and political consequences.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Ahhggrrrhh,..... The temptation for NATO to jump into the cauldron to save it's poodle... Foreign legion is half a give-in I suspect, hard to leave it at that and take the inevitable defeat that will come. Perhaps delayed by a few days but is inevitable.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

^^^^^

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/15 ... 5955251201
Lavrov’s Serbia visit ‘cancelled after countries close airspace’
https://twitter.com/tassagency_en/statu ... 7709205506
Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has confirmed that the countries bordering Serbia have closed their airspace to Minister Sergey Lavrov’s aircraft:
http://go.tass.ru/jBefV
https://twitter.com/thesiriusreport/sta ... 0232827904
Austria MOD admits the reality on the ground in that the major routes for the delivery of weapons to Ukraine are now controlled by Russia, that rail links are damaged and trucks transporting weapons are under fire from Russian forces.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Sorry wrong thread. Moved to Geo fallout thread
Last edited by NRao on 06 Jun 2022 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

NRao wrote:
John wrote: I believe these rockets the Ukrainians are putting together will have bigger impact, one unit alone has supposedly received 3 of them. Unlike the ones from Libya and Syria these are stabilized

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/sta ... BbLjBJUswg
The title of the article mentions "US rockets" = HIMAR.

UKR has its own rocket force (that I think has been decimated).

On a separate note, HIMARS have a very long tail. And, load cycles are extremely long. The range at which Biden has restricted the transfer too, I have no idea how they would help.
Look like Talibani stuff.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

https://twitter.com/thesiriusreport/sta ... 1126243328
Lavrov has stated that if west sends weapons to Ukraine with ever longer range they will continue to move the border of Ukraine further west from which such strikes can be launched.

So presumably Kiev is considered a target in that scenario.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

NRao wrote:https://twitter.com/thesiriusreport/sta ... 1126243328
Lavrov has stated that if west sends weapons to Ukraine with ever longer range they will continue to move the border of Ukraine further west from which such strikes can be launched.

So presumably Kiev is considered a target in that scenario.
Kiev was always a target apart from launch cruise missile there is little Russia can do and even that they are staring to use AshM which aren’t too accurate. Last strike was done by Tu-95 launching Kh-22.

Severodonetsk is great example why can’t listen propaganda on either side, Ukrainian claimed to have pushed Russians out which is not case previously Russians almost a week ago claimed it was captured which wasn’t true either.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Actually both could have been right for a short while until the other acted and changed the situation. This has been a see saw battle not for parts of Severodonetsk.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Cyrano wrote:Actually both could have been right for a short while until the other acted and changed the situation. This has been a see saw battle not for parts of Severodonetsk.
The tweet was about Russian red lines: what Russia plans IF West sends long range weapons into UKR. Simple.

My take/read:

* Russia is willing to move the UKR border further west (from where is, right now, unknown)
* No matter where the "border" is Russia keeps what she gets (territory is non-negotiable)

* It also means that UKR will be for ever a (contested?) no-mans land.

Essentially Russia reserves all rights to do as she pleases in "Ukraine" (an area TBD)
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

At this point I don't think Russia cares a rats @ss what the west thinks - the trust levels are pretty much zero.

Coming to Lavrov's tweet, he is repeating what Putin said in a recent interview, the statement is ambiguous in detail but very clear in intent. ;-)
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

High-tech Western Weapons Pose Challenges for Ukraine Military
Thomas Gibbons-Neff and Natalia Yermak - 1h ago, NYT
Staring through the sight attached to an anti-tank gun camouflaged in netting and green underbrush, Junior Sgt. Dmytro Pysanka is greeted with a kaleidoscope of numbers and lines that, if read correctly, should give him the calculations needed to fire at approaching Russian forces.

Still, errors are common in the chaos of battle. To negate them, the commanders of Sgt. Pysanka’s artillery unit on the frontline in southern Ukraine secured a high-tech range finder, supplied by the West over a month ago, which uses laser technology to measure distances.

But there’s an issue: Nobody knows how to use it.

It’s like being given an iPhone 13 and only being able to make phone calls,” said Sergeant Pysanka, clearly exasperated. :rotfl:

More than 100 days after Russia invaded Ukraine, Western weapons have arrived at the Ukrainian front lines, with more promised. Just on Monday, Britain said it would send a sophisticated multiple-launch rocket system, following a similar pledge from the United States days earlier.

But training soldiers how to use the equipment has become a significant hurdle. With his aging anti-tank gun, built in 1985, Sergeant Pysanka and the weathered soldiers who crew the gun need all the help they can get.

The high-tech range finder, called a JIM LR — and likely part of the tranche of equipment supplied by the United States, said Sergeant Pysanka — seemed like a perfect choice. It can see targets at night and transmit their distance, compass heading and GPS coordinates. Some soldiers learned enough to operate it, but then rotated elsewhere, leaving the unit with an expensive paper weight.

“I have been trying to learn how to use it by reading the manual in English and using Google Translate to understand it,” Sergeant Pysanka said.

The dilemma underscores the array of issues that come with Ukraine’s frequent calls for high-end Western weapons and equipment, with requests for new anti-tank guided missiles, howitzers and satellite-guided rockets seemingly pinned to their hopes for victory.

Those needs are palpable in the region where Sergeant Pysanka’s battery is dug in, just northeast of the Russian-occupied port city of Kherson in southern Ukraine. The area was the site of a brief Ukrainian offensive in the past week that slowed as soon the Russians destroyed a key bridge; the Ukranian’s lack of longer-range artillery meant they were unable to attempt a difficult river crossing in pursuit, Ukrainian military officials said.

But beyond the urgent need for the tools of war, Ukrainian troops need to know how to use them. Without proper training, the same dilemma facing Sergeant Pysanka’s unit and their lone range finder will be pervasive on a much larger scale. Analysts say that providing weapons without sufficient training risks repeating the United States’ failed approach in Afghanistan, where it supplied the Afghan military with equipment that couldn’t be maintained without massive logistical support.

“Ukrainians are eager to employ Western equipment, but it requires training to maintain,” said Michael Kofman, the director of Russian studies at C.N.A., a research institute in Arlington, Va. “Some things it’s not easy to rush.”
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

All this says in the future India should not try Gandhigiri, limited operations, fact finding missions, crawling committee etc. in PoK.
Everyone of our near and far neighbours can become conduits for the MIC if enough $ provided ! It has to be decisive and gamed.
Last edited by S_Madhukar on 07 Jun 2022 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Sir please be to write in language I can understand. All this Lizard talk in strange Lingua defeats the purpose of words.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I assume Victoria Nuland has finally thrown in the towel - at least I hope so (since I am hearing that Nuland is pushing Biden to impose "secondary sanctions", primarily on India. Opposed by Yellen):

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/statu ... 9682039810
We recessed Ukrainian counteroffensives in Severodonetsk that we coded on 6/5 and advanced assessed Russian advance to the city's industrial area near the Azot chemical plant given Luhansk Oblast Governor Serhiy Haidai stated on 6/6 that the situation has "deteriorated." (2/4)
Haidai’s June 6 statement marked a significant change in Haidai’s characterization of the situation in Severodonetsk from June 5, in which he stated that Ukrainian counterattacks recaptured half of the city. (3/4)
Chechen Leader Ramzan Kadyrov stated on June 6 that Russian forces captured the entire residential area of Severodonetsk, which is consistent with Haidai’s June 6 statement.

ISW will continue to refine our assessment as we collect and reconcile more data. (4/4)
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Looks like Russian forces lured AFU and it's phoren legion into a dead end trap in severodonetsk.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Cyrano wrote:Looks like Russian forces lured AFU and it's phoren legion into a dead end trap in severodonetsk.
Severodonetsk will be Severed from the rest of Ukrania
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Nice demo ground this Ukraine

ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

< Mod Note: Do not post tweets or articles without proper attribution and links. It is common courtesy. >
Alex Marquardt
@MarquardtA
Russia says that roads and rail lines between western Russia and Crimea are operational. Ie the land bridge is complete.
9:00 AM · Jun 7, 2022

Alex Marquardt
@MarquardtA
"Conditions have been created for the resumption of full-fledged traffic between Russia, Donbas, Ukraine and Crimea on six railway sections," said Def Min Shoigu. “Automobile communication has been opened from the territory of Russia along the mainland to Crimea."
9:01 AM · Jun 7, 2022
https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/1 ... 4381560836
Last edited by ldev on 07 Jun 2022 22:48, edited 2 times in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thank you for your co-operation. Greatly appreciated.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Engagement between Russian Su-30 and Mi-14 in may 7th which resulted in shootdown of latter. This confirms my theory that Mi-14 was used to detect ships by snake island and used to coordinate drone strikes. This also disapproves the claims of Ukrainian naval invasion and shootdown of Mi-8 (as it proves it is Mi-14) loaded with spec ops by Russians on Snake island.

https://twitter.com/caucasuswar/status/ ... g_oQJJh3eg
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

There are two groups in Russian politics. One is vehemently anti-establishment. Another is pro Putin. The anti-establishment group is smitten by western liberalism and they think they are defending liberal values, which is laughably stupid, but anyway.

The pro-Putin faction supports the war, of course.

In Ukraine, there is a large section of Russian speaking population which does not want to go under the Russian govt's rule. They think they are fighting for modern democracy. As crazy as it sounds this is true. And this has been admitted by Russians themselves at the highest levels.

This is the reason why Ukrainian forces have not simply melted away, considering that 45% of the population in Ukraine speaks Russian. Basically, the Russian speaking population in Ukraine itself is divided between pro-Ukraine and pro-independence groups.

The lesson here is for us. We may laugh at the librandu idiots in India but with enough support and enough stupidity, a country can be sufficiently divided to wreck it.