CAATSA...An Oxymoron?

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Re: CAATSA...An Oxymoron?

Post by Pratyush »

If Biden signs off on this. I would be most disappointed in the US power.

I wanted India to be sanctioned under CAASTA.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

it would have made things much simpler., but that's not the world we live in. The west has the word HYPOCRITES written all over them.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Khalsa wrote:
arshyam wrote:Exactly. I am not sure why we are linking the waiver, which remains an internal solution to an internal and self-created US problem, to our military purchases.
I am completely with you but i need you to put on the humorous hat and see it this way.

CAATSA waiver is an internal solution to CAATSA Problem, that was created by US Internally to punish its own allies who gave a damn.
PM, Modi has outstretched (the MRFA) to make CAATSA a laughing stock in front of the entire world and also make US eat humble pie.
You want our money .... stop imposing shape shifting rules and nonsense. If you want to then flex them around as per our requirements and be faced with accusations of duplicity that you accuse others of.
Long term I think US realised CAATSA sanctions for india would only harm US’s interests (selling hardware and also influence in Delhi) I doubt they did it with specific contemporary sales (F18, MQ9B etc) in mind. For all their hypocrisy the US are no fools and generally avoid creating situations that will only blow up in their face.

+ I will say if Delhi is desperate to hand over billions to US MIC why can’t they get something essential like more P8s or even follow on CH-47? Why does it have to be 30 MQ9B for 3 billion USD?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Mq9B is a dead deal. Not going to happen
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Pratyush wrote:If Biden signs off on this. I would be most disappointed in the US power.
I wanted India to be sanctioned under CAASTA.
Wouldn't being under CAATSA sanctions also affect indigenous development efforts? Even Safran engines would have US sourced components.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Let it be sanctioned. US is not be all and end all of science and technology.

What makes you think that US will not impose sanctions against India in the future.

I think of this waiver similar to the so called Presslar amendment. As long as they think they need us. They will continue to humor us.

The moment they think that they can make do with G2 they will impose sanctions against India as a tribute to PRC.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

KSingh wrote:
Khalsa wrote:
I am completely with you but i need you to put on the humorous hat and see it this way.

CAATSA waiver is an internal solution to CAATSA Problem, that was created by US Internally to punish its own allies who gave a damn.
PM, Modi has outstretched (the MRFA) to make CAATSA a laughing stock in front of the entire world and also make US eat humble pie.
You want our money .... stop imposing shape shifting rules and nonsense. If you want to then flex them around as per our requirements and be faced with accusations of duplicity that you accuse others of.
Long term I think US realised CAATSA sanctions for india would only harm US’s interests (selling hardware and also influence in Delhi) I doubt they did it with specific contemporary sales (F18, MQ9B etc) in mind. For all their hypocrisy the US are no fools and generally avoid creating situations that will only blow up in their face.

+ I will say if Delhi is desperate to hand over billions to US MIC why can’t they get something essential like more P8s or even follow on CH-47? Why does it have to be 30 MQ9B for 3 billion USD?
I have had serious sit down conversations with a couple of Naval aviators who flew the big birds (Tupolevs) and rose quite high and created a wealth of strategic knowledge, people and processes around patrolling, owning and dominating the IOR. It doesn't come cheap. Putting the amount of effort of creating, maintaining assets and human resources to domainate and patrol IOR via the P8-Is. I don't think we will go for further manned assets.

Drones are in the head of that team or stream of Naval Aviators... IMHO.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Pratyush wrote:Let it be sanctioned. US is not be all and end all of science and technology.

What makes you think that US will not impose sanctions against India in the future.

I think of this waiver similar to the so called Presslar amendment. As long as they think they need us. They will continue to humor us.

The moment they think that they can make do with G2 they will impose sanctions against India as a tribute to PRC.
that would an interesting thought to ponder on :D
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... NPltep2yPQ ---> US is hoping for quid pro quo Indian orders, as exchange for US waiving of the threat of CAATSA waivers.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... NPltep2yPQ ---> US is hoping for quid pro quo Indian orders, as exchange for US waiving of the threat of CAATSA waivers.
CAATSA is THEIR problem NOT India's :(( .. we need a quid pro quo for listening to this nonsense.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

kit wrote:
Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... NPltep2yPQ ---> US is hoping for quid pro quo Indian orders, as exchange for US waiving of the threat of CAATSA waivers.
CAATSA is THEIR problem NOT India's :(( .. we need a quid pro quo for listening to this nonsense.
Don't get worked up over what the US says. They are looking out for their interests and they have every right to do so.

However, be gravely concerned when our own citizenry (or diaspora) parrot the same line. Colonialism and Partition is a painful memory for many of our citizenry. Thus alliances - with any country - are viewed with great skepticism by many of our people. However - for some of our citizenry (or diaspora) - C&P was a wonderful thing which needs to be repeated again. That is who you should be very concerned and worried about.

Don't be fooled by the largesse who comes bearing gifts to fight the dragon. He is more dangerous than the dragon. Don't get fooled by the line that India having access to the world's largest MIC is going to give India a decisive edge. The ongoing conflict in Ukraine has disproved that. By all means, have a transactional relationship. But don't ever get into bed with them. It will prove to be India's undoing. I have more faith in China continuing to be a serious threat to India, than the US being an actual friend to India. On that measure, China is far more reliable.

Everything is indeed quid pro quo. That is how the world works. But CAATSA is still not waived yet. It has only passed the US House of Representatives. It now has to ratified by the Senate and then has to reach the desk of the President of the United States. That waiver will be tied to how many deals India has signed (or will sign) to oil the machinery of their Military Industrial Complex.

That is how the US defines quid pro quo :)