India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by Vayutuvan »

KL Dubey wrote: This is from 2015 :mrgreen:
So? Arrey babua hum bhee :twisted: :mrgreen: aur :!: kar sakte hain mimamsikaa saar. :P
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

KL Dubey wrote:https://youtu.be/lN-zysQWd-4

Bhaidanwa's wife has prepared quite a romantic dinner for Modi saar. She waxes eloquent.

Kunwaare PM sahib ko line to nahi maar rahi? Kya pata Bhaidanwa kitni jaldi 100% naakaam ho jaye. :lol:
Our dear PM is going to grit his teeth and eat a couple of spoonfuls of the entree. If I were in his place, I would have demanded daal roti, daal chaawal, paapad, achaar, ghee, aur lavan.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... den-china/
Modi’s U.S. visit sends a big, if quiet, signal to China
Though the White House downplays it, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s swing through Washington is about enhancing a partnership that includes stopping Beijing’s aggressive expansion
Ellen Nakashima, June 21, 2023

Joint statements issued by the United States and India over the last several years have condemned North Korea’s missile tests, called for the Taliban to respect human rights and appealed for an end to the violence in Myanmar. But never has there been an outright mention of India’s primary adversary: China.
Yet it is China in recent years that has supplanted Pakistan as India’s main security threat. While Delhi may wish to minimize accusations that can heighten tensions with leadership in Beijing, China’s clashes with India along its border have turned the world’s two most populous countries into rivals again in the Indo-Pacific.
It is the resurgence of that rivalry — after decades of détente — that has made for a convergence of strategic interests between the United States and India.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is in Washington this week, with the full pomp and circumstance of a state visit that comes on the heels of Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s tense trip to China, followed by President Biden’s comments on Tuesday calling Xi Jinping a “dictator.”
Neither Biden nor Modi would frame their engagement as primarily being about containing the China challenge, but the subtext is plain. Rather, officials say, it is about lifting up a rising power — the world’s largest democracy, if an imperfect one — and showcasing the momentum in the relationship based on a set of shared interests.
“This visit is not about China,” national security adviser Jake Sullivan said in an interview with reporters this week. “But the question of China’s role in the military domain, the technology domain, the economic domain will be on the agenda.”
A series of major announcements are expected Thursday, including a major deal to manufacture General Electric fighter-jet engines in India and a deal in which Delhi will buy General Atomics armed drones, a platform the Indians have wanted for years and which can help them detect and counter moves by China’s military.
The GE deal, anticipated to be worth billions of dollars, involves the provision of sophisticated jet engine technology that has never been shared even with treaty allies, and has the potential to bind the two countries’ defense industries for years to come.
“It’s coveted sensitive technology — something India’s been asking for, for almost two decades,” said Sameer Lalwani, a senior expert at the U.S. Institute of Peace. “If it works, it could lead to multiple future generations of jet engines. This is a way for the United States to both be a partner to and shape India’s defense innovation developments over the next 20 to 30 years.”
While the main partner is expected to be a state-owned company, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, officials say there are likely to be private-sector suppliers as India seeks to develop its domestic defense industry. The Modi government realizes that to compete with China, which is well into a decades-long military modernization campaign, it will need to figure out how to advance tech start-ups so they can design technologies at military scale.
Pulling down hurdles to tech and defense collaboration is a key theme of Modi’s visit. Administration officials, from Biden and Sullivan to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, have met with Delhi counterparts, and officials in both countries have worked to cut through licensing, export control and other barriers to cooperation.
On the technology front, another major expected announcement involves Micron Technology Inc., the biggest U.S. memory-chipmaker. The two leaders are expected to announce that the Boise, Idaho-based tech giant is building a chip assembly, testing and packaging plant in Modi’s home state of Gujarat.
Gautam
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Vayutuvan wrote:
KL Dubey wrote:https://youtu.be/lN-zysQWd-4

Bhaidanwa's wife has prepared quite a romantic dinner for Modi saar. She waxes eloquent.

Kunwaare PM sahib ko line to nahi maar rahi? Kya pata Bhaidanwa kitni jaldi 100% naakaam ho jaye. :lol:
Our dear PM is going to grit his teeth and eat a couple of spoonfuls of the entree. If I were in his place, I would have demanded daal roti, daal chaawal, paapad, achaar, ghee, aur lavan.
Modi is going to enjoy watching others gritting their teeth, smiling through the meal, and eating it with theatrical relish.

After all, no red blooded amriki दुकानदार is going to write off his India business opportunities over a plate of millets

Last edited by chetak on 22 Jun 2023 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

V_Raman wrote:India’s biggest export will always be talent - we have that in abundance and will have that for the forseeable future. Key things from USA will be concessions in GC processing - it that comes about - then there is an india/usa alignment. Rest is all transactional.
Jm2c
Bingo., GC processing is important and also important is free flow of talent between two countries. This was also mentioned by EAM Dr. Jaishankar in one of his latest interviews (have to find the link). Dr. Jaishankar clearly articulated that the future is all about free flow of talent and skills and countries which allow such knowledge movement (my words) are going to get ahead.

That is a talent in India will be like, lets do this project in US and another in fUK, live around and come back and start something in India. That brings experienced highly skilled and talent back into India.

Here is what is cooking:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-ease-v ... 023-06-22/
The State Department could announce as soon as Thursday that a small number of Indians and other foreign workers on H-1B visas will be able to renew those visas in the U.S., without having to travel abroad, one of the sources said, part of a pilot program that could be expanded in coming years.
They need to make it for all renewals. Not just a small pilot. But a good start nonetheless. Also if you run across any other nationality H1b, particularly Cheeni, ask them to ki$$ your ar$3. Since here, Modiji and Indian government is bringing this positive change for the H1b.

Here are successful litigations agains US INS:

1. People on H1b visa for 6 years had to leave the country (US) for at least 1 year, even if their I140 was filed. I was part of a group that sued INS and at some point a ruling came that if the petitioner has already filed I140 earlier then they do not have to leave the country under the 6 year H1b rule.

This has benefited all H1b workers immensely. I am proud that I contributed an immense amount of dollars for the above. The people who initiated the lawsuit, they had immense courage. [and apologies for my own plug :-D]

2. https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/18/us/i ... er%20disk.

This was a tragi-comedy. For US immigrants who petitioned for GC (I140), the fingerprinting could be done at liquor stores, barber shops and even at brothels. Yes, it was that pathetic. Any private operator can sign up for fingerprinting and INS approved some 160k such fingerprints and FBI rejected some 125k. It became a scandal and the US Congress got involved. This was also part of the above mentioned lawsuit and the court came down heavily on US INS. After that, they streamlined their processes and automated finger printing with proper certified and trained staff was introduced.

Ultimately, criminals got GC and others who were genuine, their applications were trashed. Families were broken due to this sheer incompetence of US gov.

---

My point is, morons like Pramila Jaichand and Chris Von Hell'en and Allahu Omar Hijabi and Rashida Taliban cry about democracy and 'hooman rights' and the real legal immigrants contributing to both countries with their skill and talent have their aspirations crushed. Inhumanly. And their families have to go through inhumane treatment.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Y I Patel wrote:I’m hoping EAM uses this high profile visit for some of his trademark surgical strikes. Some level of aggression is required against the like of Jaichand. Sorry Jaipal
72 houris for you.

I think Pramila Jaichand acted in star wars movie. Here is her fotu:

[Admins: Please feel free to delete the above post. But I had to try some humor]
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

US To Open Consulates In Bengaluru, Ahmedabad While India To Set Up One Mission In Seattle.

The US will open two new consulates in Bengaluru and Ahmedabad while India will establish a mission in Seattle to boost people-to-people relationships, a senior White House official said on Thursday.

The official said the US issued a record 125,000 visas to Indian students last year. Indian students are set to become the largest foreign student community in the United States with a 20 per cent increase last year alone, the senior administration official said.

“The United States intends to open new consulates in Bengaluru and Ahmedabad. India is likewise welcoming the 2023 opening of its consulate in Seattle and look forward to also announcing a new consulate in the United States,” the official said.

The US Department of State is going to launch a pilot to adjudicate domestic renewals of certain petition-based temporary work visas later this year, including for Indian nationals with the intent to implement this for an expanded pool, the official said. (Big help for Indian H1b holders who will not have to mandatorily travel abroad for stamping the visa while adjusting from other status (L1 or STEM OPT or H1 transfer)

India has five consulates in the US in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston and Atlanta, apart from the embassy in Washington.

The US embassy in New Delhi is one of the largest US diplomatic missions in the world. The embassy coordinates the activities of four consulates — in Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Hyderabad – ensuring that the US-India relationship is strong throughout the country, according to the information on its website.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

NaMo was invited by the US govt, but he has made the visit his own, with impeccable timing of world yoga day :)

Millets on the menu at the white house, except for that, the menu is uninspiring. I hope bidenwa will make up for it with some inspired conversation.

Dr SJ refused to meet Jaipal already a couple of years ago. I don't think she will dare to ask again. The rest will be specs of dust left behind as the Modi Juggernaut rolls on majestically.

Trust our ministers and their teams to look at everything on offer dispassionately like a visiting mother in law... Won't be easy to impress, much less dazzle!

Let's see what NaMo tells the joint session and official announcements to try and parse what is said and not.

At the moment, the media circus is funny to watch, with so many burnol moments :rotfl:
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

They have "sumac roasted sea bass" fish for NAMO's menu?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Upon request means optional and its only prepared and served if a diner cannot eat anything else...
Usually, such items aren't asked for out of respect for the guest.
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

Meanwhile on Capitol Hill

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

There are wines on the menu as well but afaik NaMo is a teetotaller. Millets is a nice touch, because India is campaigning for 2023 as international year of millets with UN participation. It's more nutritious, hardy crop and it's hard to make sugar syrup or oil out of it. So might not get GMd very soon. Not sure when it will become s fad in the US, but it's a start.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

It would be interesting to see what sort of questions they are going to ask Modi during this event. Will they go full jeehard and bring up hooman rights issue or will it be a meek query on QUAD or China ?
India's PM Modi to join Biden in rare press conference, questions limited
WASHINGTON, June 21 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden and visiting Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver remarks and take questions from journalists on Thursday during the Indian leader's state visit, an event a senior White House official called a "big deal"

It is unusual for Modi to take questions from the media, beyond occasional interviews. He has not addressed a single press conference in India since becoming prime minister about nine years ago. In May 2019 he attended a press conference but never took questions.
The format of the press conference will include one question from the U.S. press and one from an Indian journalist, Kirby said.

White House press conferences with other world leaders have been tightly controlled, with U.S. officials designating reporters beforehand from the American and foreign media for Biden and his guest to call upon, and a very limited number of questions.

Biden is under pressure by his fellow Democrats to raise human rights with Modi amid concerns about democratic backsliding in India under Modi's Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party. Human rights could be one topic of the press conference.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

If they start asking human rights questions then NAMO should after answering the question, raise the gun violence, BLM, minority racism among police, etc issues.

If a paki reporter ask him a question remind him to fix the minority issues in his home country.

Check US mass shootings here.
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

It is a controlled environment and the reporters would be handpicked before hand but you never know and it is best to be prepared. I am sure SJ saar would have already thought about this.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

US DoD:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/R ... m-indus-x/

Launch of the India-U.S. Defense Acceleration Ecosystem (INDUS-X)
The U.S. Department of Defense and the Indian Ministry of Defense launched the India-U.S. Defense Acceleration Ecosystem (INDUS-X) today at a catalyst event hosted by the U.S.-India Business Council. Launched against the backdrop of Prime Minister Modi’s State Visit to the White House and at a time of historic momentum for the relationship between the United States and India, INDUS-X will vitalize our defense industrial cooperation and unlock new innovations in technology and manufacturing. INDUS-X will create jobs for working
families in both countries and promote global peace, security, and prosperity.

The event convened representatives from more than 30 U.S. and Indian start-ups, as well as government, business, academic, and thought leaders, for wide-ranging discussions to advance cutting-edge technology cooperation between our nations’ defense industrial ecosystems.

Following the launch event, the U.S. Department of Defense and the Indian Ministry of Defence welcomed an ambitious collaboration agenda that outlines the initiatives INDUS-X stakeholders intend to spearhead. These initiatives complement existing government-to-government collaboration and include joint prize challenges for start-ups, roundtable events, mentor-protégé initiatives between major primes and start-ups, and the formation of a Senior Advisory Group.

In engagements throughout the day, U.S. and Indian officials affirmed that INDUS-X will catalyze innovation and help equip both countries’ armed forces with the capabilities they need to defend a free and open Indo-Pacific.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

I'm saying please ask your hooman rights question. NaMo has a million ways of answering it without ever feeling the need to drag the host country into it.

Kya teer maar liya ek sawaal pooch ke!?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Bidenwa sudhrega nahin. I had a suspicion that the caterwauling congress was organized by the US SD so that they can provide "leverage" to US Prez. And here is proof to my suspicion:

https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/potu ... -in-speech
Later, in his speech, Biden also said: "Equity under the law, freedom of expression, religious pluralism and diversity of our people -- these core principles have endured and evolve, even as they have faced challenges throughout each of our nations' histories".
All I can say is "Let's go Brandon"
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Biden cannot improve. Not in his DNA to improve.

Meanwhile Indians need to make hay while the sun is shining. I have no idea why all this analysis and no robust solutions.

Heard Yogi ji is offering an acre of land for a Rs!!!! Way to go.

We need results. Era of analysis is OVER.
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

Did anyone notice that Abrahamic faiths (which invented the concept of hatred of non-believers and delegitimizing every other faith on earth) tom tom the need for religious pluaralism the most, even as they go to church every sunday and curse the heathens to hell?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

disha wrote:Bidenwa sudhrega nahin. I had a suspicion that the caterwauling congress was organized by the US SD so that they can provide "leverage" to US Prez....
Why worry, Disha ji

PM Modi can reply simply saying we have been inspired by the values of equality to already have democratically elected a Muslim president, a Sikh PM, a Woman PM and now have a indigenous native (for yanks who wont understand tribal) woman president - incidentally our second female Head of State!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

News24@news24tvchannel·59m

'भारत में मुस्लिमों की सुरक्षा पर PM मोदी से बात करें बाइडेन'

◆ पूर्व राष्ट्रपति बराक ओबामा ने बाइडेन को दी सलाह

"The protection of Muslim minorities in a majority Hindu India ... part of my argument would be if you don't protect the rights of minorities, there's a strong possibility India starts pulling apart."

Translation: "Never forget - what we did to Yugoslavia, we can do to you too."

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

sanjayc wrote:Did anyone notice that Abrahamic faiths (which invented the concept of hatred of non-believers and delegitimizing every other faith on earth) tom tom the need for religious pluaralism the most, even as they go to church every sunday and curse the heathens to hell?
Of course! It's called projection.
Do unto others what you think they "may" do to you and then always blame the others.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

PM Modi & US President Joe Biden at the Joint Press Conference at White House

sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Anyone watching NaMo schooling the American senate :mrgreen: ..and what a speech !
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

A poster used the term Modi juggernaut. A lot of this is carefully crafted marketing strategy. I view this trip as a sign of weakness in the sense that Modi has maxed out the civil service bureaucracy and has no choice but to forge partnerships for growth. Of course, there is a containment/swing state component to this which I have been vocal about for sometime but it will only get us so far now with such big internal and neighborhood challenges.

I may be one of the few that thinks India will tank within a couple decades if there isn’t a change in bureaucracy, education, innovation, and hi tech manufacturing. Big ticket items spanning semiconductors to submarines has so far not succeeded. We have raw talent that has to go abroad for further skilling because we don’t have the incentives or institutions for it. This is unacceptable and there needs to be more openness on what is really happening on the ground.

Hope PMO has a plan. So far I’m not really seeing it.
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

RoyG wrote:A poster used the term Modi juggernaut. A lot of this is carefully crafted marketing strategy. I view this trip as a sign of weakness in the sense that Modi has maxed out the civil service bureaucracy and has no choice but to forge partnerships for growth.

Everybody has to forge international partnerships. Only isolationists believe they can do it all alone. No man is an island, and no country should be politically. The question is who you forge those partnerships with. China didn't start growing in earnest until its partnership with America.
Of course, there is a containment/swing state component to this which I have been vocal about for sometime but it will only get us so far now with such big internal and neighborhood challenges.

I may be one of the few that thinks India will tank within a couple decades if there isn’t a change in bureaucracy, education, innovation, and hi tech manufacturing. Big ticket items spanning semiconductors to submarines has so far not succeeded. We have raw talent that has to go abroad for further skilling because we don’t have the incentives or institutions for it. This is unacceptable and there needs to be more openness on what is really happening on the ground.

Hope PMO has a plan. So far I’m not really seeing it.
That's because you seem to only be reposing your faith in personalities, rather than in ideology. If you want someone to be your shining knight to magically save you, then you'll be waiting in vain forever. At least an ideology prescribes a solution set.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

PM Modi addresses for the 2nd time the US Congress

Last edited by bala on 23 Jun 2023 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Many things moved forward, and a lot more remains to be done in this Amrit Kaal. We will keep the momentum and keep moving forward.

What Modi has done is that he has empowered 1.4 billion people in some very creative and visionary ways. Financial inclusion and digital India are as far reaching as electricity was in the previous century. This has allowed the govt to put a safety net for the most needy and everyone else to share the burden with solidarity without leakage. The govt is focused on providing platforms for digital and physical infrastructure. The latter was neglected for decades and will take time, at least a decade more at the current pace to get a certain level of ease of living we associate with development.

Beyond that except in a few key areas the govt will need to do less in the future decades, not more. Indian people will lead with creativity and confidence and prosper and flourish, be it AI or whatever else may come up.. And we will be less evil and more generous than many others have ever been.

In my life time I believe I'll be seeing long queues of people waiting to get an Indian visa for higher education, jobs, health care and business.

India's upward trajectory is indeed the Juggernaut that the US will have to accept and work with, not react defensively and antagonise. The mistake they made with China for was to believe that China will become free and democratic. The mistake US must not make with India is to think we will become closed and authoritarian, and therefore fear cooperation and collaboration.

Without India's friendship and influence, the US will become a nervous, directionless power and destroy others and itself. As we are seeing on Ukraine right now. With India by it's side as a friend and wise counsel, A&I can and must do a lot for global good. That's Modi's vision for the century as I understood it.

China's current regime and it's scam growth will fall apart at some point, as suddenly as it went up. We just need to keep an arm's distance not to get impacted.

Russia will be happy to coexist in a new global order. It's a defensive country by geography and Russians know they can't be expansive. All they are seeking is some respect.

Africa is will have to be helped to overcome many challenges, the tech decades from 90s have made things vastly better, and India can help them with good governance tools and systems to help them stand on their feet. US just needs to keep its hands off Africa.

The only real spoilers are the depressive and destructive European ex colonial powers. Not by military strength but by ideologies they will hoist on the world. India has to find ways to Yogatomize their minds.

Despite what ever tech transfers I'm confident that goi will keep domestic r&d alive and switch when they mature. By 2035 or 2040, India will be inevitably, the tech giant that the US is now. We simply have way more educated and tech enabled young brains....
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Cyrano wrote:Many things moved forward, and a lot more remains to be done in this Amrit Kaal. We will keep the momentum and keep moving forward........

By 2035 or 2040, India will be inevitably, the tech giant that the US is now. We simply have way more educated and tech enabled young brains....
Will said. Aap ke muh mein ghee shakkar...
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Full text of PM Modi speech to the US congress is available on TOI

From TOI - PM Modi's address to joint session of the US Congress: Full text

A good speech as expected.

Of course there were some typical Modi-style statements which i liked... :wink:
I see that nearly half of you were here in 2016. I feel your warmth as old friends. I can also see the enthusiasm of a new friendship in the other half.
:mrgreen:
In the past few years, there have been many advances in AI – Artificial Intelligence. At the same time, there have been even more momentous developments in another AI – America and India.
# err did he just troll them..
And, I know this takes a lot of time, energy, effort, and travel. It is a Thursday afternoon - a fly-out day for some of you. So, I am grateful for your time. I also know how busy you have been this last month.
:lol:
We have over two thousand five hundred political parties. Yes, you heard that right- two thousand five hundred. About twenty different parties govern various states of India. We have twenty-two official languages and thousands of dialects, and yet, we speak in one voice. Every hundred miles, our cuisine changes. From Dosa to Aloo Prantha and from Srikhand to Sandesh. We enjoy all of these. We are home to all faiths in the world, and we celebrate all of them. In India, diversity is a natural way of life.
:!:
Let me share with you how this vision is translating into action, with speed and scale. We are focusing on infrastructure development. We have given nearly forty million homes to provide shelter to over hundred and fifty million people. That is nearly six times the population of Australia! We run a national health insurance programme that ensures free medical treatment for about five hundred million people. That is greater than the population of South America! We took banking to the unbanked with the world’s largest financial inclusion drive. Nearly five hundred million people benefited. This is close to the population of North America! We have worked on building Digital India. Today, there are more than eight hundred and fifty million smart phones and internet users in the country. This is more than the population of Europe! We protected our people with two point two billion doses of made in India COVID vaccines, and that too free of cost!

I may be running out of continents soon, so I will stop here!
:lol:

Taking a cue from Modi ji, i will also stop here and humbly request members to do read the entire transcript/watch the video.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

So democrats have fired using Obama while Biden has remained the smiling face. As someone mentioned there is nothing more to be read into a few questions and answers. I am still waiting for the big ticket announcement to come out of this visit. We haven’t got anything substantial so far. GE engine, consulates, more visas, joint statement on TSP-China all are good but nothing special.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

There is nothing much left to entice a rampaging elephant ie a growing and confident India.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Cyrano wrote:There is nothing much left to entice a rampaging elephant ie a growing and confident India.
And indeed .. coals to Newcastle, India has raised hooman rights issue in US :((
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

This was a momentous visit and I would say a hugely successful at that. Of course, yeh dil maange more. Even if it is two steps forward and one step back, it is still a step forward.

There was lot riding on this visit and lot had to be covered. Several guantlets were thrown and several were picked up. Lot to be unpacked, but here are my quick thoughts and I think it will take at least couple of months to unpack it all. Since this will be talked about at least for a week or two in strategic circles. If not for more.

1. India spoke from position of strength. Imagine an SDRE doing kabbadi and doing a dhobi-pachad of TFTA umrikans.

2. The Artemis treaty.

This is recognition of India as an advanced space faring country. And also shows Cheen as a middling space faring country. Regarding Russia, lets' face it, its space program has entered into doldrums. They will cooperate with Cheen, but Cheen is unlikely to give much space in space exploration to Russia. And without partners, Cheens' deep space exploration is out on its own. With Cheeni economy in doldrums, the future of Cheen's space exploration looks a little bleak.

3. Chips

DRAMs/NANDs are basic blocks of chip fab. India needs to get the basics sorted out first. That is get a complete supply chain from Sand (SiOs) to crystalline Silicon to mass scale chip manufacturing including the backend supply of chemicals to build chips before it can go into more exotic computational chips. Remember memory and storage never goes out of business. As India churns out more phones, each of those phones will require more memory. AI requires huge memory. All the machine learning algorithms are data hungry and data storage requires memory chips. In the worst case, India will end up consuming all the memory chips it produces.

This is complemented by Applied materials. I am excited on this news. Yes, there is still some way to go, but the next 2-3 years itself will start showing how transformative this is.

4. iCET

This is the next generation of critical and emerging technology cooperation. Quantum Computing, High Performance Computing, AI, Defence Cooperation incl. Jet engines, Space etc & exchange of skills and talents and all the buzzwords that will come in future. This is a strategic cooperation step further.

5. Environment

Or rather secure critical supply chain for the new cleantech (for example EVs) or hydrogen or solar etc. Here India will invest in US's greentech!

And of course, Biden called Xi a clueless dictator. This is after Blinken took a painful position in front of Xi.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Cyranoji
Do you think ME and the Abduls will have any impact in the overall scheme of things
There is a defnite move away from fossil fuels but would that not lead to further aleination of the unwashed, meaning the domino effects of the loss of revenues will be more acutely felt by the 'Have not' Abduls who go to ME as workers. Will they then not cause more problems in their respective countries!!
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Have no crystal ball, but a lot of the mess in ME was British creation and US aggravation. If today Barak Hussein is talking about muslims in India it's only because the US has killed more muslims in a few decades than India has ever done over centuries.

In ME countries, Islam is definitely on the decline. I believe their support for radical islam is to keep US at check. Hasn't worked out that way, because today's coalitions of the willing are yesterday's crusaders. KSA, UAE have realised this and are now busy keeping UK, US and EU out of their affairs and slowly mending fences with Israel.

Radical Indian muslims will continue making trouble as long as there is external funding and internal appeasement. I think they both will dry out in the coming years. Then the only choice would be to at least become sanatani muslims or even better do Ghar wapasi.

As for our neighbourhood muslims, let Europe deal with them. :rotfl: They deserve it. Indan state must maintain strong law and order with increased scientific policing to improve evidence collection and get more convictions for trouble makers.

As long as US is not again left to create a mess in a unipolar world, I'm thinking we will all be ok. That wise counsel can't come from Europe, and won't come from Russia or China. The US had it's chance to be a benign world power and blew it very badly. The others don't have the required civilisational foundation to even try. That leaves only India in this century. IMO.