Air Force Tejas Mk1: News & Discussions: 02 January 2022

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Air Force Tejas Mk1: News & Discussions: 02 January 2022

Post by Rakesh »

From the Jan 2024 edition of Vayu Aerospace on Page 11 :)

https://vayuaerospace.in/Issue/202402061141151624.pdf
EDGE of the UAE has announced the successful completion of the feasibility studies for the integration of the AL TARIQ long range precision guided munitions (LR–PGMs) on the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Tejas LCA. The announcement follows an MoU signed earlier in 2023 between AL TARIQ, a joint venture company, between EDGE and Denel (South Africa), responsible for the design and production of the uniquely modular AL TARIQ family of LR–PGMs, and HAL, an India based leader in the design, manufacturing, and maintenance of aircraft, engines, avionics, and related accessories.

The aim of the MoU is to integrate the AL TARIQ LR–PGM onto the HAL Tejas LCA and other platforms as part of their campaign to offer a long–range precision weapon solution to the region. The AL TARIQ family of modular, all weather, day/night LR–PGMs are designed to fit onto the Mark 80 series and the Indian designed High–Speed Low Drag (HSLD) series of aerial munitions. The addition of a wing kit converts the AL TARIQ–S (Standard Range) to the AL TARIQ–LR (Long Range), extending the stand–off range from 45km to 120km. Full integration and qualification of AL TARIQ’s LR–PGMs on HAL’s Tejas LCA is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2024.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Aeronautical Development Agency Signs MoU with Indian Air Force
https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=2007797
21 Feb 2024
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Rakesh wrote: 08 Feb 2024 20:15 From the Jan 2024 edition of Vayu Aerospace on Page 11 :)

https://vayuaerospace.in/Issue/202402061141151624.pdf

The aim of the MoU is to integrate the AL TARIQ LR–PGM onto the HAL Tejas LCA and other platforms as part of their campaign to offer a long–range precision weapon solution to the region. The AL TARIQ family of modular, all weather, day/night LR–PGMs are designed to fit onto the Mark 80 series and the Indian designed High–Speed Low Drag (HSLD) series of aerial munitions. The addition of a wing kit converts the AL TARIQ–S (Standard Range) to the AL TARIQ–LR (Long Range), extending the stand–off range from 45km to 120km. Full integration and qualification of AL TARIQ’s LR–PGMs on HAL’s Tejas LCA is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2024
This "Tariq pe Tariq" - is it for us to buy their PGM or for them to buy our Tejas?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

The more weapons that can be integrated on to the Tejas platform, the more options are available for own use and for export. But successful integration will not automatically translate into purchase. And this compatibility will extend beyond the Mk1/Mk1A platform. Think of Mk2, TEDBF, AMCA, etc.

Al Tariq or whatever else, integrate them all...provided the OEM of the armament in question agrees to it, as we can see in this case. The IAF wanted to integrate Meteor on the Tejas Mk1A, but MBDA refused due to the Israeli EL/M-2052 AESA radar on board. When the Uttam AESA and Astra Mk2 and SFDR come in...then watch how MBDA will offer Meteor integration on the Tejas Mk1A for free :)
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Rakesh wrote: 22 Jan 2024 02:53 Tejas Becomes More Indegenous: Digitronics to Provide DC-DC Converters and EMI Filters For Tejas Mk1
https://defence.in/threads/tejas-become ... -mk1.2438/
19 January 2024
50 and 65 watt DC-DC converter, 300khz, fully isolated input output.

Every drop that goes into the indigenous bucket, is progress. Although it's not hi tech component. There are lots of similar commercial parts to glean into to come up with mil rated design. Would feel good if the design was by totally Indian educated engineer from rural Bharat.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://x.com/alpha_defense/status/1765 ... 15793?s=20 ---> JUST IN: HAL announces that the LCA IOC contract has been revised from ₹2,700.87 Crore to ₹5,077.95 Crore.

https://x.com/alpha_defense/status/1765 ... 37233?s=20 ---> The contract that was signed for the IOC variants is revised so they can continue providing aero structures for MK-1A as aero structures aren’t changed.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Historical article....drag & drop picture into new window for full size.

https://x.com/BhatShricharan/status/176 ... 73637?s=20 ---> Some special newspaper here...

https://x.com/Archit_Ch/status/1764711598659154027?s=20 ---> Thanks for this, it's a great read. A lot of the mentioned issues still exist, yet it makes one realize how unlikely the success of the LCA seemed during that period. Reading that in 1986, one wouldn't believe that we would eventually be looking at total orders of potentially 220.

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

IIRC, back in late 90s when Shri Kalam was still the scientific advisor to the Raksha mantri. He had stated that the IAF will require 220 Tejas with an export potential for several hundred more.

The Mk1 in its iterations has already reached that number. 40+83+97= 220.

The so called Mk2 will surpass this number.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Tejas participated in Bharat Shakti. An earlier clip of Tejas hitting the Target was shown. The accuracy is extremely good.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

The Tejas Success Story In One Picture
https://swarajyamag.com/defence/the-tej ... ne-picture
18 March 2024
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Can see LT-5203 (third Tejas trainer) in a state that looks like it's ready to be handed over. LT-5205 is also looking like it's undergoing engine tests before being handed over. Plus can see the Elta 2032/MMR radar on one of the remaining 3 Tejas trainers that is not yet painted.

Twitter link
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

What a pic !! .. Desi TFTA !

source : https://twitter.com/VivekSi85847001/sta ... 51/photo/1
Pic credits: @Pho_Toky

ashthor
BRFite

Post by ashthor »

drnayar wrote: 28 Mar 2024 18:44 What a pic !! .. Desi TFTA !

source : https://twitter.com/VivekSi85847001/sta ... 51/photo/1
Pic credits: @Pho_Toky
Its got curves...but stings like a hornet (looks like one).
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

LT-5205
Fifth Tejas Twin Seat aircraft finished it's flight tests before going to squadron, last week.

https://twitter.com/FighterPiloting/sta ... A-lAw&s=19

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ashishvikas wrote: 30 Mar 2024 22:02 LT-5205
Fifth Tejas Twin Seat aircraft finished it's flight tests before going to squadron, last week.
You really are the bearer of good news. Thank you so much. I have updated the first page. Please check.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Admiral, I thought the first squadron had recieved all its trainer.
Preumably not the case ? Could you or anyone confirm if the IOC Squadron has its full compliment of a/c including trainers.
Thanks

• Line 1 ... SPT03 ... LT-5203 ... XX-XX-2024
• Line 1 ... SPT04 ... LT-5204 ... XX-XX-2024
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

The Programme & the Crash of a Tejas

March 12 - Jaisalmer On a flight during a military exercise, Tejas Mk1 FOC batch aircraft crashes into a house while on approach for landing.

As far as I know and what google can find out for me, so far there has not been a single aircraft line developed that has not had a crash of one of its line products. From World War 1 to the Fifth Generations aircraft, to Unmanned Aerial Vehicle and finally our neighbhour(s) and their JF-17. Each class or product type has had a crash and finally Tejas joined the league as of the 12th of March - 2024. But please note that its not the aircraft that joins the league but its programme and the country behind it that joins the interesting club or league. And what is important to note is the graceful manner in which we join it because that will determine the impact on the programme and the effects in the many years and decades to come.

12th March 2024, the first light combat aircraft, the star of our weary bharat rakshak eyes crashed in Rajasthan during a military exercise.
The exercise was one of the largest exercise to be held this year and even had the Prime Minister as an attendee as per reports. The brass could have played it safe and not included Tejas the pride of the country to be put in stressful situation but instead did exactly what it says on the brochure. Take the ship out of the harbour and put it, where it is meant to shine.

Shine it did, even going down with the loss of engine power, Tejas Mk1-FOC continued to display amazing characteristics that summed up the behaviour in the last dying seconds. Those characteristics are the result of decades of planning and many years of hardware by us simple Indians.
It is summed up beautifully and must be read by all of us BRites and aircraft enthusiasts.
https://swarajyamag.com/defence/the-tej ... ne-picture

But lets check the impact on the programme as a result of the loss of this aircraft.
Nothing!!
And that is exactly what should happen when a country lines up behind the programme and the company. Our commitments shown via the leadership, R&D budget and direction, financial cake cutting and finally the orders of the military should ensure that the impact on the LCA Programme is NOTHING!!
Infact it reminds me of the infamous Norway Military Ad which alludes to training, procurement and positioning of its military to ensure the happening of NOTHING !! See for yourself here.

The Future.
While I thought about writing this post on the 13th of March, I got lazy and also interested in the first flight of the Mk1A. Today the Tejas Mk1A production run aircraft has flown with much sought after features such as the AESA radar and a multitude of improvements that will be reviewed in many articles to come this year on the inter-web.

The programme is on track now to deliver (not negotiate) close to 80 Mk1A aircraft followed by another sub-100.
The programme now finally is out of the Mk1A design phase and will switch gear to the improving production over the coming years.
The programme has now got a final step to push in terms of rolling out Mk1B (yes let me call it that) which will come with the Uttam Desi AESA and any other improvements that got left off the table for locking in Mk1A.
The programme will have (hopefully) more (key) people freed up to increase the momentum of the Tejas Mk2 Aircraft as well as the AMCA.

Continuous watering and guidance must be continued of the Aircraft design agencies, Research Partners & Laboratories and finally the production house. The future of our country depends upon it, not just from production a weapon that defends us but by parking Billions of Tax Payers money in the right place (within our borders) and standing up a massive ecosystem that allows thousands of Indians to shine and live a fulfilling and enriched life.

May the programme and the commoners working in the Programme continue to be Tejasvi
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

ashishvikas wrote: 30 Mar 2024 22:02 LT-5205
5th LCA Trainer LT5205
- swayam.patanga/ Instagram
instagram.com/p/C5I2rJKsmNI/…

https://twitter.com/Elite_Mavericks/sta ... gKw4A&s=19

pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

Wow, look at the drop tanks. Well used...These birds must be getting flogged similar to the initial SU30Ks.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Khalsa wrote: 31 Mar 2024 02:19 Admiral, I thought the first squadron had recieved all its trainer.
Preumably not the case ? Could you or anyone confirm if the IOC Squadron has its full compliment of a/c including trainers.
Thanks

First off, I am happy to see you on BRF. I was wondering where you went! :)

New-build Tejas aircraft taking to the sky has become so routine now, that it is not worth mentioning it anymore. The latest flight test made the headlines, because it was the Mk1A variant. Eventually even that will become routine with nine squadrons worth of Mk1As in the pipeline.

So relying on the drip feed of info with regards to first flights. That date of 2024 you are seeing is my assumption onlee. Perhaps the first flights of LT-5203 and LT-5204 happened in 2023, but I have no way of verifying that. But with the tweets that have come out, it is now confirmed that No 45 Squadron now has a full complement of 16 SP single seat aircraft and 4 SPT twin seater aircraft.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Rakesh wrote: 01 Apr 2024 01:51
Khalsa wrote: 31 Mar 2024 02:19 Admiral, I thought the first squadron had recieved all its trainer.
Thanks

First off, I am happy to see you on BRF. I was wondering where you went! :)

New-build Tejas aircraft taking to the sky has become so routine now, that it is not worth mentioning it anymore. The latest flight test made the headlines, because it was the Mk1A variant. Eventually even that will become routine with nine squadrons worth of Mk1As in the pipeline.

So relying on the drip feed of info with regards to first flights. That date of 2024 you are seeing is my assumption onlee. Perhaps the first flights of LT-5203 and LT-5204 happened in 2023, but I have no way of verifying that. But with the tweets that have come out, it is now confirmed that No 45 Squadron now has a full complement of 16 SP single seat aircraft and 4 SPT twin seater aircraft.
Thank you Admiral Saar. Few reasons for my absence, job taking me away from my keyboard and I am not the best at mobile devices and iPads.
Hence back on my keyboard and will try and devote some regular time posting too. I have been a lurker all this time btw. It has been a pleasure following your posts all across the threads. You do God's work, decades later, this is the place to be.

Thank you for the update on the trainers as well. I am sure your eyes swell with pride when you mention that it has become routine for Tejas (new ones) to take to the sky. how long have we waited, prayed and possibly influenced our friends to make our country get here.

More success to this fine aircraft and the progamme behind it.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Rakesh wrote: 01 Apr 2024 01:51 New-build Tejas aircraft taking to the sky has become so routine now, that it is not worth mentioning it anymore. The latest flight test made the headlines, because it was the Mk1A variant. Eventually even that will become routine with nine squadrons worth of Mk1As in the pipeline.
Agreed admiral. No one even tries to find when a new member gets added in the Dhruv superfamiliy of copters, and HAL stopped issuing press releases decades ago. In a year or so, it may happen with Tejas press releases too, and the focus may shift towards the deliveries to the IAF rather than to the test pilots!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://x.com/NewsIADN/status/1779869123658522847 ---> IAF remains in 'Operational Ready Format' along the LAC, even four years after the 2020 Galwan clashes, which means fighter aircraft can be airborne (fully-loaded) in 5-7 minutes to meet any contingencies.