Indian Navy News & Discussion - 12 April 2021

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Navy News & Discussion - 12 April 2021

Post by Pratyush »

nits wrote: 18 Mar 2024 16:36 ^^ lets say they get 10 RI; what happens after that - where do we drop them - in the sea ?
IIRC, the punishment for piracy at sea under the law of the sea is death.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Pratyush wrote: 18 Mar 2024 19:06
nits wrote: 18 Mar 2024 16:36 ^^ lets say they get 10 RI; what happens after that - where do we drop them - in the sea ?
IIRC, the punishment for piracy at sea under the law of the sea is death.
We Indians are a very 'Humane' society

41 Somali pirates deported after completing jail term
Seven years after they were arrested by the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard in four different anti-piracy operations in early 2011, 41 Somali nationals were on Friday deported to their home country by a charter flight arranged by the Somalian government.
Apparently they anyway don't find our desi food palatable... maybe a halal thing

Somali ‘pirates’ want to be deported
Lodged in Taloja jail since capture in 2011, they say can’t digest jail food here.
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

India seems to be using the Anti-Piracy missions in Somalia to fine-tune their operational procedures and doctrines in a near-real scenario. Frankly, my take is that both INS Kolkata and INS Subhadra would have MARCOS assets on board. However, the MS Ruen gave us the perfect foil to launch a C-17 from India with the RIB's along with a few sticks of MARCOS.
  • Great PR and Visuals - TICK
  • Validation of Procedure and Operational Doctrine - TICK
  • Validation of Preparedness - TICK
  • Relatively low RISK Ops since both Kolkata and Subhadra are in close proximity - TICK
Sort of also answers why we are doing stuff that the US is not indulging in. The SEALS have their Ops Procedures worked out. We are doing it now.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Never thought I would say this, and so soon, but looks like we could do with a USN Lewis B Puller type mobile base ourself...
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

+ million to that.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

pushkar.bhat wrote: 18 Mar 2024 19:30 India seems to be using the Anti-Piracy missions in Somalia to fine-tune their operational procedures and doctrines in a near-real scenario. Frankly, my take is that both INS Kolkata and INS Subhadra would have MARCOS assets on board. However, the MS Ruen gave us the perfect foil to launch a C-17 from India with the RIB's along with a few sticks of MARCOS.
  • Great PR and Visuals - TICK
  • Validation of Procedure and Operational Doctrine - TICK
  • Validation of Preparedness - TICK
  • Relatively low RISK Ops since both Kolkata and Subhadra are in close proximity - TICK
Sort of also answers why we are doing stuff that the US is not indulging in. The SEALS have their Ops Procedures worked out. We are doing it now.

pushkar ji,

You forgot the most important point:
  • the acrid stench of burning gora, cheen, and paki hair ......TICK
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Indias power projection capability just got certified :mrgreen:
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

drnayar wrote: 19 Mar 2024 18:20 Indias power projection capability just got certified :mrgreen:
We had kind of already done that over 3 decades ago?

One element which was different from then would be the boarding of the hijacked vessel...

Drama on high seas: How 1988 Maldives coup leaders were held
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

chetak wrote: 19 Mar 2024 11:43 pushkar ji,

Echo that..
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

pushkar.bhat wrote: 19 Mar 2024 23:01
chetak wrote: 19 Mar 2024 11:43 pushkar ji,

Echo that..

also, pushkar ji,

special forces being paradropped into the sea, in broad daylight in full public view

that's gotta be a first 8)
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Rakesh wrote: 17 Mar 2024 04:47 This is a bad idea....
I agree completely, but this insanity is affecting all democratic countries all over the world, and it seems India cannot escape it either. But let us look on the bright side and be thankful for small mercies -- at least India has not yet (as far as we know) sunk as low as the crazy Pentagon, promoting cross-dressing drag queens to senior military leadership and forcing serving male military personal to wear women's clothing and parade around in public as a form of ritual humiliation.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Roop wrote: 20 Mar 2024 07:24
Rakesh wrote: 17 Mar 2024 04:47 This is a bad idea....
I agree completely, but this insanity is affecting all democratic countries all over the world, and it seems India cannot escape it either. But let us look on the bright side and be thankful for small mercies -- at least India has not yet (as far as we know) sunk as low as the crazy Pentagon, promoting cross-dressing drag queens to senior military leadership and forcing serving male military personal to wear women's clothing and parade around in public as a form of ritual humiliation.
The way things are going, in a few decades we might well have unmanned submarines. And in the control room on land, gender won't matter.

https://news.usni.org/2023/12/21/navy-r ... ter-drones

Note - by saying 'we' i am hopeful that the IN will partner with our development labs in successfully building & operating a made-in-india large armed UUV/XLUUV
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

The way i see it as somewhere Navy is giving a direct / indirect message - "Its my backyard, its my Indian ocean and don't mess with me. i can get things from far way and deploy on ur shores and show that how we do it..."

Plain and Simple :evil:
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

^^^

While I agree with the sentiment of this being our backyard.

The current leader in Maldives seems to be completely beyond our reach in terms of diplomacy. He has to be brought to heel or removed from the scene.

Or else there will always be a tendency in the thinking of small nations that they can play PRC against India and win.

This needs to be shown to be a horrific and absolutely loosing proposition with extreme prejudice.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

^^^
That is not a military objective and will be dealt with by Jayshankarji and MEA team. It is a long game and India can deploy hard and soft options. All players are aware of this. So I would not mix it with Indian Navy going out and showing the intent.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Dilbu wrote: 20 Mar 2024 12:48 ^^^
That is not a military objective and will be dealt with by Jayshankarji and MEA team. It is a long game and India can deploy hard and soft options. All players are aware of this. So I would not mix it with Indian Navy going out and showing the intent.

Dilbu ji,

One would start with a tighter visa regime for medical, visitor and study categories, to make the mooching and freeloading maldivians feel distinctly unwelcome.

the bleddy buggers are flooding India using the lax controls in these areas and just like the beedis, many are settled permanently in major south Indian cities and towns ...

and let them tackle their own govt, if at all the maldivian public is keen on continuing good ties with India. There is no need at all for India to mollycoddle these jihadis after what they have done.

There is the usual abrahamic hatred and contempt for the kufr but taqiya always punches through India's befuddled fog of misplaced friendship and we are fooled every time into forgiving and forgetting, especially where jihadis are concerned.

The cheen have a couple of the jihadi islands on long term lease and they cannot easily ousted from the vicinity, sort of like SL and hambantota

But India's setting up of a new naval facility in the near vicinity of maldives so quickly means that dilli was anticipating just such a move from the maldives and the cheen and was well prepared to counter it

India's new base on Minicoy is around 125 kilometres from the maldives and that is not such a bad place to be, given the circumstances.

India's presence in the maldives is undoubtedly a military objective but one that has always been couched more in "humanitarian" than in military terms, and the Indian Navy has gone out and is unmistakably showing the intent, for those who need to see it
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Agree with you analysis saar. My comment about military objective was only about the below.
The current leader in Maldives seems to be completely beyond our reach in terms of diplomacy. He has to be brought to heel or removed from the scene.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

Well Ruski oil bad boy is protecting ships that sounds like good PR to me!
As much as Maldives irks me we unless we have a policy of Soviet style Spetsnaz giving midnight surprise to the likes of Muzzu we will have to play Ruski roulette with all our neighbours - our mutual bad luck of corrupt moolah and mullahs
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Dilbu wrote: 20 Mar 2024 13:56 Agree with you analysis saar. My comment about military objective was only about the below.
Dilbu ji,

the only way to make them amenable to diplomatic overtures is to make the population feel the pain.

If they are forced to go to singapore, SL, pakistan or wherever, to meet their every need, then they will learn the enormous value of keeping India in good humour

their testimonials need to be squeezed, and that is the only way to keep the jihadis in line. If it hurts them enough, then they may remove the troublesome cheen addicted president, all by themselves.

their primary access to the Indian mainland is via KER. The locals make good money off these jihadis and arrange for their access to the facilities that they require. There is quite a bit of illegal traffic via this route where they arrive on local fishing boats, oftentimes landing at tiny coastal, and out of the way hamlets
TVenky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by TVenky »

Moderator,

I am not sure where to post the following link.. But, I wish IN to take notice of it.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4Djcl3v ... are_sheet.
Can someone here suggest me or do the needful ?.

I have also posted the above video on X as well as Instagram tagging IN.. But I have not got any acknowledgement from IN
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Manish_P wrote: 20 Mar 2024 09:17
Roop wrote: 20 Mar 2024 07:24 I agree completely, but this insanity is affecting all democratic countries all over the world, and it seems India cannot escape it either. But let us look on the bright side and be thankful for small mercies -- at least India has not yet (as far as we know) sunk as low as the crazy Pentagon, promoting cross-dressing drag queens to senior military leadership and forcing serving male military personal to wear women's clothing and parade around in public as a form of ritual humiliation.
The way things are going, in a few decades we might well have unmanned submarines. And in the control room on land, gender won't matter.

Note - by saying 'we' i am hopeful that the IN will partner with our development labs in successfully building & operating a made-in-india large armed UUV/XLUUV.
In a few decades, Project 75I will still be running with promise of full 100% TOT. #Atmanirbhar Bharat!
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

CNN no less..
Pirate ship capture showcases India’s world-class special forces, analysts say
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pirate-ship- ... 09608.html
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Manish_P wrote: 18 Mar 2024 16:31 Does Somalia have a functioning goverment?

We should recover the cost of the drone they shot down

And those scum should be held for a long time
If it wishes, Indian govt can force the insurers of the MV Ruen, its cargo and crew to cough up costs of entire operation, and hold the ship until paid.

US regularly does it.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Jayram wrote: 20 Mar 2024 20:56 CNN no less..
Pirate ship capture showcases India’s world-class special forces, analysts say
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pirate-ship- ... 09608.html
Analyst Carl Schuster, a former US Navy captain, said the incident highlighted the professionalism of the Indian Navy and said Delhi’s marine commando force, known as MARCOS, had learned from its US and British counterparts.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Rakesh wrote: 20 Mar 2024 20:04 In a few decades, Project 75I will still be running with promise of full 100% TOT. #Atmanirbhar Bharat!
arrey admiral sir, there i was scuba diving happily (in a jingo trance) and you brought me right back to the surface spluttering... no matter, hope shall stay afloat.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Ashokk wrote: 20 Mar 2024 22:44...
How could we ever forget our colonial masters (oops, I meant benefactors)!

After graciously accepting alms (sorry training), we SDREs mimicked those lessons to a T at the successful military operation.

P.S. Someone please remind the author of the CNN piece that the Indian Navy officer who went for that SEAL course to the utopia that is America, graduated with the highest rank in that SEAL course.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Rakesh wrote: 20 Mar 2024 23:16
Ashokk wrote: 20 Mar 2024 22:44...
How could we ever forget our colonial masters (oops, I meant benefactors)!

Saar, the only reason the article is positive is because
  • C-17
  • Sea Guardian
  • P-8I
  • Seal training
If it had been INS Talwar with Marcos jumping from Il76 supported by Il-38 the tone would have been quite different.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Tanaji wrote: 21 Mar 2024 00:20Saar, the only reason the article is positive is because
  • C-17
  • Sea Guardian
  • P-8I
  • Seal training
Bingo! Well Said.
Tanaji wrote: 21 Mar 2024 00:20If it had been INS Talwar with Marcos jumping from Il76 supported by Il-38 the tone would have been quite different.
Then it would have been the right-wing Hindutva BJP Govt is now resorting to advancing its hateful ideology to her neighbours!
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

TVenky wrote: 20 Mar 2024 17:20 Moderator,

I am not sure where to post the following link.. But, I wish IN to take notice of it.

I have also posted the above video on X as well as Instagram tagging IN.. But I have not got any acknowledgement from IN
Looks like a Chinese sonobuoy in the shores of TN (I can clearly hear Tamil speaking people). Also given the small boat and the calmer sea. It is definitely south Palk strait (Palk bay) and in Indian SEZ should be < 50 nmi. Cheen seems to be active near our shores is the real point here.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

williams wrote: 21 Mar 2024 01:09 Looks like a Chinese sonobuoy in the shores of TN (I can clearly hear Tamil speaking people). Also given the small boat and the calmer sea. It is definitely south Palk strait (Palk bay) and in Indian SEZ should be < 50 nmi. Cheen seems to be active near our shores is the real point here.
williams ji,

just saying onlee, if it is actually a sonobuoy, it should have sunk after a time, but this one seems to have drifted quite far or it wasn't airdropped but may have been deployed in the vicinity by a passing ship or boat.

sonobuoys are virtually useless in such shallow waters.

once their life has expended the sonobuoys are designed to sink.

At times it does not happen :mrgreen: (The best laid schemes o' mice an' men.....)

There was some writing on a sticker that was pasted on it, was it cheeni looking writing one couldn't make out.

I know people who would be very interested in this find.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

TVenky wrote: 20 Mar 2024 17:20 Moderator,

TVenky ji,

Please tweet this to the DRDO lab -- NPOL at cochin and also to the DRDO boss or two three higher ups in dilli (NPOL designs and makes prototypes of sonobuoys, and this will be right up their alley)

A few hours later, please send them all a DM.

Then, wash your hands of the entire matter, your good deed for the day is done.

Thanks, TVenky ji for taking the trouble and the diligence to go the extra mile :D
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Tweeting it to the Coast Guard might be helpful.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

chetak wrote: 21 Mar 2024 01:51 TVenky ji...
Chetakji,

It is this thing (translated page)

https://www-qdhisun-com.translate.goog/ ... #_np=2_487

Original

http://www.qdhisun.com/nd.jsp?fromColId ... #_np=2_487

Looks like a sat com enabled profiling buoy. Supposedly for temperature, salinity and pressure measurement.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tanaji wrote: 22 Mar 2024 00:25 Chetakji...
Thank you, Tanaji saar.

let's hope that the DRDO guys respond to TVenky ji's inputs.

This will also be of interest to the oceanography guys, don't they have some largish facility in goa or thereabouts....

CSIR - National Institute of Oceanography, donna paula, goa

https://www.nio.res.in/contact-us/head-quarters-goa

https://www.nio.res.in/contact-person-a ... ct-details

perhaps TVenky ji could give them a heads up too.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Cat and mouse game in the IOR. Not sure what the idea is .. but electronic warfare is one.. flood their sensors !

India Sends RV Samudra Ratnakar to Counter Multiple Chinese Survey Ships in Indian Ocean
https://defence.in/threads/india-sends- ... cean.4811/
25 March 2024
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

India deploys 11 submarines, a first in nearly three decades
https://theprint.in/defence/india-deplo ... s/2013839/
24 March 2024
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote: 25 Mar 2024 19:19 India deploys 11 submarines, a first in nearly three decades
https://theprint.in/defence/india-deplo ... s/2013839/
24 March 2024
Drag & Drop the last picture in this post, into a new window on your browser :)

https://x.com/AdithyaKM_/status/1772109 ... 57155?s=20 ---> The Western Seaboard witnessed **eight** submarines operating together in a recently concluded exercise in the Arabian Sea" via @IN_WNC. Great pictures of the pod.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

“First time over international waters…” IAF pilots explain how they helped Navy thwart pirates

hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

Are the glasses in the front of the sail broken? And will those stainless steel grab rails at the bottom of the sail disrupt the acoustic silencing and produce noisy wakes?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

India sends latest sub to port overlooking sea route to China
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/india ... ina-604053
24 March 2024

https://x.com/ajaynewsman/status/177208 ... 76304?s=20 ---> Campbell Bay, India's strategic base on the A&N islands, just kilometres away from the mouths of the Malacca Straits, had a important visitor, a Kalvari class submarine.