Tech.Info.3/T-80UD/T-90/Arjun Mk.I

Nishant Berlia
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Tech.Info.3/T-80UD/T-90/Arjun Mk.I

Post by Nishant Berlia »

this means 2 things:<P>1. modifications are possible for the engine coolant.<P>or<P>2. the pakistanis have 300 wannabe state of the art desert bunkers.
L Beeson
BRFite -Trainee

Post by L Beeson »

Or (3). Semi-mobile targets for attack helicopters.<P>------------------<BR>Laurie
Peeyoosh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peeyoosh »

Salman<P>Great thread. Thanx for the effort.<P>Peeyoosh
Arjun Gupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arjun Gupta »

they are buying the t90 right?
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Seems like we have already made upour mind.<P>DIA TO BUY 100 LATEST RUSSIAN T-90S TANKS THIS YEAR<BR> Print this story<P><BR> <BR> VINAY SHUKLA <P> MOSCOW, JULY 13 (PTI) RUSSIAN TANK GIANT 'URALVAGONZAVOD' AND THE INDIAN DEFENCE<BR> MINISTRY HAVE AGREED 'IN PRINCIPLE' FOR THE SUPPLY OF 100 LATEST T-90S MAIN BATTLE<BR> TANKS (MBT) TO THE INDIAN ARMY BY THE END OF THIS YEAR FOLLOWING THEIR SUCCESSFUL<BR> TRIAL IN THAR DESERT AND HILLY TERRAIN OF JAMMU & KASHMIR, ITAR-TASS SAID TODAY. <P> ACCORDING TO DEFENCE SOURCES IN MOSCOW, THE INDIAN CABINET COMMITTEE IS EXPECTED<BR> TO TAKE A FORMAL DECISION BY THE END OF THIS MONTH ON THE T-90S DEAL, WHICH COULD BE<BR> THE BIGGEST DEFENCE DEAL TO BE SIGNED BY NEW DELHI WITH MOSCOW THIS YEAR. <P> 'T-90S MBT MADE A TOTAL OF FOUR THOUSAND KILO METRE RUN IN THE SCORCHING HEAT OF<BR> THAR DESERT IN RAJASTHAN AND HILLS OF KASHMIR,' THE AGENCY QUOTED VALERY PLATONOV,<BR> WHO HEADS THE PLANT IN THE URAL CITY OF CHELYABINSK, AND WAS A MEMBER OF THE RUSSIAN<BR> TECHNICAL TEAM WHO RETURNED FROM NEW DELHI LAST WEEK AFTER TWO MONTH TRAIL OF<BR> THREE T-90S MBT IN INDIA. <P> ACCORDING TO RUSSIAN MEDIA REPORTS INDIA IS EXPECTED TO BUY UP TO 300 T-90S RUSSIAN<BR> MBT TO TILT THE MILITARY BALANCE IN FAVOUR OF THE INDIAN ARMY WHICH WAS UPSET<BR> FOLLOWING THE SALE OF 350 SOVIET DESIGNED T-82 MBT TO ISLAMABAD BY UKRAINE. <P> INDIA IS ALSO TO ACQUIRE LICENSE FOR THE PRODUCTION OF T-90S AT AVADI HEAVY VEHICLES<BR> FACTORY TO PHASE OUT THE CURRENT PRODUCTION OLDER T-72 TANKS.
Skanhai
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Skanhai »

Has any large scale tank-assault been turned back only by air-power yet ? <P>Longewal??<P>I think no matter how advanced armour the T80 has, it can be panetrated by a 120mm from the T72. I'm only not sure if the T72 can fire missiles.
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P><BR>Salman, remind me not to waste any more money on military reference books Image<P>About your point three (posted 12:08). If you replace the suspension, engine, armour, gun, turret, fcs whats left of the old tank? Reminds me of that old folk tale - pathar ki biryani (Biryani made of stone).<P>I doubt a combination of mines and ATGMs will stop a determined tank attack.<P>ramen_das, Largely, but not always true. The Egyptians Infantry that was dug in across the Suez Canal during the Yom Kippur war successfully repulsed repeated Israeli armoured attacks with sagger AGTMs and RPGs. Out of 250+ tanks in the Israeli first echelon, only about a 100 survived. This incident was the first time in history that a purely infantry based force succesfully withstood a major armoured attack.<P>But on the whole that old saying is still true...the best anti tank weapon is another tank.<P>300 tanks is in no way a War winning number.<P>True again. But think about it this way. India has only three armoured divisions (the other tank formations I presume are distributed one per infantry corp). These 300 tanks add one more high quality armoured division to the pakistani strength.<P>Has any large scale tank-assault been turned back only by air-power yet ?<P>ramen_das,Solely by airpower? No..but I can name a few battles where air power played a critical and battle-winning role.<P>skanhai, with all due respect to the IAF and IA, the assault at Longewal was by not more than one armoured regiment...hardly qualifies as a major armoured assault.<P>Talking about airpower's ability to blunt armoured attacks, I cannot help digressing here a bit to point out the services of one Colonel Hans Rudel of the Luftwaffe in WWII. Flying an obsolescent Ju-87 Stuka, he knocked out over 500+ tanks during the course of the war... not to mention 150 guns, around 1000 other vehicles, 11 aircraft (including fighters), 70 landing crafts, a destroyer, two cruisers and to top it all - one battleship!..all single handedly in about 2500 sorties. <BR>
Peeyoosh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peeyoosh »

Do tanks also fire DU rounds? I thought they were usually fired by tank busting aircraft. <P>Are the Tungtaen sabot rounds made locally?<P>Peeyoosh
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>peeyoosh, Yes American tanks use DU core rounds (the APFSDS round). Americans had a large quantity of DU which was a by product of plutonium warhead production and used it extensively for AP work both in M1s and A-10As. The russians on the other hand prefer using Tungsten cored AP rounds as they have large tungsten deposits.<BR>
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>ramen_das, The Iraqis did not have any shell with either DU or tungsten. The rounds they had contained regular Steel cores.<P>